Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9141718192021 LastLast

Thread: Spring 2021 Anime: Oops All Sequels

Harbringer of Beguiling Light bassgs435's Avatar
    Killed Slimes for 300 years done. Comfy show. Azusa's great and so's the rest of the cast. The various antics they get into are very entertaining and make for a solid relaxing and funny watch
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

DINO GETTER,FUCK YESS
    Spoiler:

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    I thought the Limited Blade Works had 37 blades to start, not 39. My entire life is a lie.

Sick twist with the Emperor though, and gotta congratulate Qisha Tianling on her star-studded honeymoon. Can't wait for season 4!
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

Bishonen Tanteidan done. Great show. Very pretty, crazy mysteries and a great cast. I love their interactions, and how Mayumi develops as the show progresses. The very end scene (that wasn't in Funimations' release as they fucked up the upload and Funi's version ends abruptly in the middle of the ED) teases a continuation and I'll be there to watch it.
    Nagatoro done. Fun romcom. Nagaotro and her friends are fun characters and I love the development Sempai, Nagatoro and their relationship go through this season. That said, the first 2 episodes or so are harsh since it's less hardcore teasing and more bullying. As said, the show develops past the bully Nagatoro fast, but it's a thing that's there and that isn't easy to watch for some people
    Battle Athletess Restart over. That was mid as hell. Shame because the OVA and old show are fun sci-fi sports stories. But the production wasn't there to sell the sports and the characters and their storylines weren't convincing here. Just too mediocre
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

DINO GETTER,FUCK YESS
    Spoiler:

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    So apparently Spider Isekai is getting it's last episode delayed due to production issues. Which begs the question of if the last 23 episodes were the intended vision?
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
    So apparently Spider Isekai is getting it's last episode delayed due to production issues. Which begs the question of if the last 23 episodes were the intended vision?
    Do you mean animation/presentation or content?
    Because I'm really wondering how they think they can end the battle at the Elf village without at least 2 episodes worth of background suddenly dumped on people. I'd be willing to bet their biggest "production issue" is trying to figure out how to make the last episode be something other than incomprehensible, so they can get a second season.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    The animation. I have almost no qualms with the story, even if I think the Human side was super weak comparatively, the fact it devolved into slideshows numerous times, and even the 3D scenes had terrible cuts and almost no choreography was much, MUCH worse. Or better, if I had a few drinks in me at the time.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Some Season Finale thoughts:

Killing Slimes for 300 Years: I think I preferred the first half of the season where the story was about people coming to find her that she wanted no part of.

Fruits Basket: This season went a bit too hard on the melodrama for my liking but since I've had 48 episodes to get to like these these characters and see them bumblefuck around the emotional payoffs work. Shut up! I'm not crying! You're crying!

Zombieland Saga: You know, you think you know exactly where a show is going and you're 99% right, but then they throw the last 10 seconds at you and you're left with a year of thinking "What the fuck just happened!?".

Nagatoro: It might be the prettiest anime of the season or the most stylized but it was the most expressive, and you really needed to feel the smug and embarrassment in a plot like this.

I already went on a rant about Jouran

Combatants will be Dispatched: I think the show suffers from being so close to Konosuba in tone. At least Kemono Michi tried to be something completely different. It wasn't bad by any stretch, just derivative.

Dynazenon: It just felt a bit lethargic as a show. No where near as interspersing as Gridman was, and the fact the entire cast seemed clinically depressed yet it was still trying for a super robot feel gave it some tonal dissonance.

TWEWY: Well at least I know the story for when Neo comes out.

Vivy: ATOS. It's a real close thing between Vivy and Oddtaxi, both are amazing but in such dramatically different ways. But the hard Sci-fi edges out the crime drama just barely.

Not a finale thought, but I died when Iruma started karaoke-ing the first season's OP.

All that's left to finish now is Moriaty, Megalobox, Mars Red, and Oddtaxi.

Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl, þonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Digimon Adventure Episode 54: I loved this episode, especially that animation being so fierce. Initially I was a bit worried when I realised that the other kids were staying behind but I felt it really worked to just have Taichi/Agumon in this episode as soon as it brought up the similarities between Ogremon and Rebellimon. Speaking of, I was surprised to see the man himself come back to life after all this time of thinking he was dead but I liked that they didn't beat you over the head with the reveal instead there were just two scenes that hinted at it. What is with Cutemon and riding scary Virus type Digimon eh? It was adorable their relationship though and I'd definitely be interested in seeing the pair again. Who knows, maybe Rebellimon might finally meet Leomon and have a rivalry.

Next week is back to Mega Evos and seeing Mimi always puts a smile on my face. I wonder if they'll reference Babamon's profile since she's in the episode...maybe Jijimon will see Rosemon and have a flashback or something?
    "Here's a bangin lil' tune about takin' on The Man!"

(Check out my Super Special Awesome Servant Compendium here)

Megalobox Nomad over. Great show. Wasn't expecting a sequel to Megalo Box, but we got it and I like what they did with it. It's more of a personal drama featuring sports than an sports show, but it's very well done. The character development and story were great.
    Moriarty the Patriot 2nd half done. A great continuation for a great show. Really good anime. I like how this season develops and what it leads to. Great show
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

DINO GETTER,FUCK YESS
    Spoiler:

Mars Red done. Interesting show. There's some episodes in the middle part that are weaker, but it picks up again by the end. Loved the finale, and the usage of vampirism and military themes. Also, the theatre references were nice. Could've been done better, but I liked it in the end
    Odd Taxi over. Great show. One of the best of the season. There's a GOOD reason for the art style and furry characters. I like how it starts slow, and how all the characters and their subplots end up connecting. All the cast is great, plot is great. Really good mistery crime thriller and a very unique show
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

DINO GETTER,FUCK YESS
    Spoiler:

JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Fuck you Fumetsu that was rude and uncalled for.

Great kiss though, very sweet moment.
    canon finish apo vol 3

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    And that's the last of the season finished for me. Mars Red was good, although I'd like to have seen what actually happened to Nakajima in the end, I still think his ending is lacking in karmic justice.

Oddtaxi, managed to stick the landing. Only the killer was hard to identify, but once they started talking on the phone it all slid into place. That ending though. Needed a cut to black -fin- to really drive home the suspense. Skull Mask didn't look nearly as meth head when he was a person, I don't know if that's because he finally gave up on his grudge, or animal people are more susceptible to looking like druggies. 10/10. Will go on my list with Rakugo as the hard sell thing to recommend people that no one will have heard of.

JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Grooming a JK: lmao did they seriously spend like a third of the episode with sayu making really really sure yoshida didn't want to fuck her?

Absolute farce with the family affairs conclusion, but I liked the characters.
    canon finish apo vol 3

Goddamn WEP Done now that final episode is out. As an original, it started great and very unique touching on some harsh topics. But it went down hard in the final episodes and never recovered. The final episode is no kind of ending. What a mess for something that started great.
    It's like the end of a first cour in a 2 cour show. Only with no 2nd cour
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

DINO GETTER,FUCK YESS
    Spoiler:

JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    OsaMake: That finale felt like setup.

Fun anime overall though, Shiro best girl, second season when?
    canon finish apo vol 3

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Watched Wonder Egg finale. What an undercooked ending. Didn't resolve anything and just introduced a whole bunch of lame plot-twists at the last second. The dead girls actually came back after all (even though that totally undercuts the show's themes and doesn't even have an emotional payoff), Neiru is a fucking AI and Koito had a downright psychotic obsession with Sawaki because bitches be crazy amiright?

Last episode's ending would've been a far better conclusion to the story since it was at least open-ended enough you could imagine something interesting happening, whereas this was just an absolute mess. Heck, a typical Mahou Shoujo ending where Ai powers up with the power of
    Eros
    love
    and beats the crap out of Frill would've been more satisfying than this dreck. To think I'd gotten hyped over this episode, now I'm just left with an apathetic feeling towards the series as a whole. I don't even care if it gets a second season anymore (unless maybe they retcon this ending or get better writers), my excitement for the series is totally killed.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Thing is, for my inclinations, bringing back the dead is right up my alley, and it's not like this didn't have costs, given that it was less resurrection and more pulling up an alternate reality version. As for the "epic battle" ending, it's like in Heroes where Sylar's father tells him that such things don't happen IRL (for context, Heroes is a show about literal superheroes). In that way, I very much respect stories that fuck with people's expectations, especially in regards to clichés like "dead is better" or "final showdown".

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LegalLoliLover View Post
    Thing is, for my inclinations, bringing back the dead is right up my alley, and it's not like this didn't have costs, given that it was less resurrection and more pulling up an alternate reality version. As for the "epic battle" ending, it's like in Heroes where Sylar's father tells him that such things don't happen IRL (for context, Heroes is a show about literal superheroes). In that way, I very much respect stories that fuck with people's expectations, especially in regards to clichés like "dead is better" or "final showdown".
    The fact that it's an alternate universe version makes the whole deal even more pointless IMO, since they're not actually "saving" anyone but just snatching a copy of them from another world. If the "revived" girls remembered them you could argue it was worth it that they at least get to be with a version of their friend again, even if it's not quite the same, and if they were really brought back from the dead without their memories you could say it's a true selfless wish where at least their friend is alive again even if she doesn't remember them. But having it both ways makes no sense.

They're not saving anyone or getting to be with (a version of) their friend, all they're doing is swapping out a dead Koito/Cheimi/Haruka with a living one from another timeline who'd be otherwise going about her merry way without them. The "deal" doesn't benefit anyone, either selfishly or altruistically, and it just raises a whole bunch more questions like what happens to the memories of their families and everyone else who remembered these girls being dead, or for that matter their friends and loved ones in their home timeline that they were pulled out of? It's completely pointless, and seemingly only exists to set up the scene of Ai running into a Koito that doesn't recognize her.

Yeah, basically everything about this plotpoint rubs me the wrong way. There's nothing wrong with resurrection but it should be done in a way that makes sense and fits the themes of the story.

For your second point, I wasn't saying a "final battle" would actually be the best or even a good ending, just better than the fat nothing we actually got. And the show actively chose to introduce a "main villain" to overcome in the form of Frill whereas nothing in the early arcs demanded anything like that, so it feels bizarre to set up that kind of overarching threat and not have a big conclusion. The show would've been fine or even better if it'd just focused on the girls' facing their emotional traumas through a magical realist framework, but instead they chose to set up a grand villain and final conflict. You can't just do that and totally fail to address it in the closing act.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Apparently, Frill's "point" was just to make friends with digi-Neiru. As for digi-Neiru... Yes, you have a point in regards to last minute reveals that don't go anywhere. As for moving things in from other timelines, it's funny because I have the same question about Heaven's Feel where Rin was drawing in mana from parallel realities using the Kaleidoscope sword. Wouldn't those other realities end up with mana deprivation, then?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LegalLoliLover View Post
    Apparently, Frill's "point" was just to make friends with digi-Neiru. As for digi-Neiru... Yes, you have a point in regards to last minute reveals that don't go anywhere. As for moving things in from other timelines, it's funny because I have the same question about Heaven's Feel where Rin was drawing in mana from parallel realities using the Kaleidoscope sword. Wouldn't those other realities end up with mana deprivation, then?
    I'm not really familiar with Heaven's Feel but was Rin really drawing in enough Mana to make a difference for an entire world?