Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 456781116 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring 2021 Anime: Oops All Sequels

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    The classroom scene in 86 was really awkward. What a ham-fisted way to insert exposition after doing it so well during the first episode. I'm glad to hear it's anime original.

Also, I gotta join in on the praise for the CG battle scenes. I love the choreography and camerawork.
    Last edited by pinetree; April 18th, 2021 at 04:45 PM.

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    It's kind of a shame that in the adaptation of an action game like TWEWY, the worst part of it is the action scenes themselves.

Or maybe it's just really meta since the combat is what put so many people, myself included, off of the game originally?
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

Horseman War of Apocalypse Wandering Swordwoman's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    -
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bassgs435 View Post
    The combo of ReZero writer and Chaos Child writer has me in for the whole ride. So far, it's great
    I like it so far. It's so sad too about what happen to the robot sister and the kid at first episode
    Spoiler:

Wandering on internet

夜属 Nightkin Irrelevant Passerby's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
    It's kind of a shame that in the adaptation of an action game like TWEWY, the worst part of it is the action scenes themselves.

Or maybe it's just really meta since the combat is what put so many people, myself included, off of the game originally?
    I can understand why people might be turned off by TWEWY's action scenes, there's a certain degree of... stiltedness to the fight choreography? I don't know how to describe it accurately off the top of my head, but it doesn't flow smoothly in the same way that most well-regarded fight animation does in anime. The camera shifts between close-up shots and atypical angles frequently, while also emphasizing certain actions by slowing down the pace of the battle with either literal slow motion or just a very slight delay before one action progresses into the next. It does give it a certain feeling of wrongness.

Rewatching some of the fights, I'm noticing that the anime often does a thing where the target of an action is out of frame while the primary emphasis of the shot is on the person/noise performing the action. That's probably not the best way of describing it, but you can really tell that the shot is focused on capturing the body language/expressions of the characters and so focuses much more tightly on them than the overall scene. That isn't to say that wider, more encompassing shots aren't utilized as well, there's plenty of those for sure, but I think that choice in direction contributes a lot to TWEWY's fights feeling off compared to other anime. It certainly isn't uncommon for anime fights to have moments of tight focus on specific characters to capture heightened emotion, but in my experience those tend to be lulls in the action where tension is being built. Like, a character prepares their special move, or monologues to themselves about what's happening. With TWEWY, it's like you're frequently only getting to see a slice of the larger fight. That being said, that feeling may also come from the fact that these fights almost always have more than three active combatants at a time, and there's in actuality multiple fights going on that weave in and out from one another.

That being said, personally I don't hate TWEWY's fights? They definitely feel weird, but they are very dynamic and I feel like they showcase team/group fights in a way not a ton of other anime do. I wouldn't call them poorly animated, just differently.

EDIT: Oh, I do have some complaints about how battles are placed in the episodes though. It may have to do with how most of the daily missions have been simplified, but there were a few moments where fights felt obligatory, rather than existing because they fit into the narrative of the episode. Very much a "this is a video game adaptation so we have to fit the mob fights in there" sorta feeling.
    Last edited by Irrelevant Passerby; April 19th, 2021 at 01:14 PM.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I think the main problem is that the Noise don't really animate. For example when they're in the alley near the romcom setup when they beat those final noise the models are just shown rotating on their z axis into the sky before disintegrating. There's no real weight to any hits. Which is fine in the protags since they're all using magic but their targets either disintegrate on impact, which is actually fine, or don't imeediatly die and just slide out of frame.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Red Mars: Suddenly chainsmoking Whitebeard. I'm really enjoying this show, even if the main antagonist doesn't follow the shows own rules. Unless it turns out their a previously unmentioned type of super vampire or something. I always enjoy swhen vampires are actually really squishy, they just heal super well. It makes them less a superhuman to be overcome and more of a reasonable problem.

Nomad: I was wondering if this season was going an Ippo route and be all about Joe training a new champion, but there in the last minute is the reason for him to get back in the competitive scene. The mob is going to burn that place to teh ground once they lose all their money on Joe. Well, more to the ground then they already got the shot kids to do.

Vivy: Turns out the episode I thought was the first was actually the second episode, so now I have to go back and watch all three from the start. I thought it was just an in media res opening but nope, I messed up.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Gotta say, I wasn't expecting Yandere Princess to just shank Lang like that. Ootsuka Akio's killing it though, same with Natsuki Hanae. LMAO at Lou the Wife Guy like usual.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

Mars Red Episode 1-2: Thanks to Demon Slayer, I had some idea of what to expect when it to this anime since they're set in the same time period. One of the things I noticed was the clouds just not moving at all like they were painted into the scene and I like that. I also like how they portray the strength and power of the vampires by using the scene changes.

Like when the bullets were flying at Misaki just stopped in midair to show how she saw them and how she just knocked them away. After that I definitely believe fighting a tank would easier than fighting a vampire. Was Misaki the fiancé the colonel said he never met though, I'm not so sure about that? The young man in the theater has to be one who turned her though.

The second episode started with how the two newest members of Code Zero got turned, and one of them was Kursuru, the childhood friend of that reporter.. They were pretty surprised that two vampires were living together though, I guess that means that they normally keep to themselves? They might have stopped those two, but Moriyama got attacked because Kurusu hesitated and they still don't know what's behind the sudden increase in vampires. I do wonder how Maeda stopped her though. The opening is fine, but I really like the ending. Hyde is so good.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrapnel View Post
    Bob the Builder's evil twin.
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperial View Post
    HF felt like Nasu holding up a megaphone and screaming, "LOOK AT HOW SAD THIS IS! ISN'T IT SAD? YOU SHOULD FEEL SAD!"

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Altaris View Post
    > Einzbern

> Making smart decisions

Pick one

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    Palingenesis just sounds like we're creating Sarah Palin.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftovers View Post
    >tfw you betray your ideals to get some

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizukume View Post
    In short, Japan's syncretism BS striked again.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by castor212 View Post
    Curse
    Blessing
    of the Boobs

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Vivy: Finally watched it from the actual starting episode, and it's great. My first thought on seeing the twin in the OP (isn't episode 4 a little late for the OP to premiere?) was "Is that Alphard? I haven't seen that character design since 2009" Then she shows up in this epioode, only she's got white hair instead of that black/blue Alphard did. Also, didn't lose an arm at the end. This and Mars Red seem to be my 'out of nowhere" shows for the season. Any other season they'd probably be my picks for AOTS but right now there's Megalobox 2, Zombieland 2 and Fruits Basket 3, which are all killing it super hard too.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Joran episode 4 can basically be summed up as "What was your plan!?". Why did the Sauske have a sudden case of morality out of no where? Who knows! Why did villain decide to capture MC when he already had viable sources of super blood? No reason! Why turn into a giant snake monster? Evil Overlord list is for chumps!

It even goes further than the characters. Why did the writer decide to kill off the impetus for all the MC's actions in episode 4 rather than in the finale?

This is going to a huge trainwreck isn't it? It's not Ex-arm level of falling apart from the get go, or a Wonder Egg where it starts to lose itself in the endgame, This is one that starts off alright and then turns into a mess by the time most other series are just starting their plots.

US Friend Code
    Dynazenon: Man I am really enjoying Yume. She doesn't emote too much with the rest of the pilots group but her interactions with her school friend are great.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    I watch so many stuff that I can't talk about them all, but I'll settle on 86 for today. This was a great episode (that my sister has officially ran away from because Lena gave her second hand embarrassment lol). I'm sympathetic to Lena honestly, she reminds me of myself at her age- spouting ideals based off my own self satisfaction, lacking power but also not even truly knowing what I'm doing, thinking things would be fine just cause I'm a nice person and I'll momentarily feel bad even if I'm not truly doing anything. In the end she's just a cog in the system who is trying her best to go against it even if just a little bit. But it's too little for the oppressed race she's being friendly with which is why even with some slight hypocrisy in Theo's words at the end (they don't know her name either and as far as their concerned she's a pig princess who will be gone in like a month) I still mostly agree with his sentiment and felt that was something she had to hear at some point.

Also interesting thing, I don't know if it's just me but Lena feels different when she's shown in her room vs when she's just a voice talking to 86. When she's on her own it becomes obvious that she's not malicious, is trying her best and genuinely wants to connect with them. But as just a voice she feels like a buzzkill who seems to be constantly getting too friendly with the people she's still basically leading to their thoughts. In short she seems more annoying as a voice.

- - - Updated - - -

Also watch pretty boy detective club, it gives serotonin

JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Isekai Maou: RIP sex cultists. Nice to see Diablo challenged though.
    Hero Academia: Revelry in the dark. Deku nerding out was great.
    I Shaved: Not in love with Kouhai's voice.
    canon finish apo vol 3

Blog Entries
    As an LN reader (of only v1), Lena's ideals always felt lacking because she never really attacked the common worldview of the Republic outside of some dinner talk/chats with people of her circle. Classroom scene was a welcome addition, although I had to pause to brace for second-hand embarrassment. But again, welcome addition.

Direction is great. Maybe not as strong visually as episode 1, but still on a level beyond your usual LN adaptation. Heck, I maintain that 86 anime is currently much better than LN.

I'd say the card scene with Kaie was kinda on the nose with her three cards having 8 and 6... but oh well. I really like how anime handles Lena/Spearhead perspectives, and that scene in episode 3 going into the ED...oof.

Mars Red Episode 3: It was pretty smart of Kurusu to think of using his super speed to let Yamagami talk to his wife. The way that Takeuchi got turned was certainly unique too. Suwa just passing Defrott pretty much confirms that he's the powerful S-Class vampire that turned Misaki. And I wonder what happened Maeda at the end? It was another great episode like the first two and I'm really liking the show so far.

My Hero Academia Season 5 Episodes 91-92:
    The first episode of the season had them do a training exercise. Everyone got to show off their skills in this episode, which I thought was pretty cool.

Man, Nejire is just so strong, just the force of her attack at 30% was just causing shockwaves so far away. Then again, I guess you'd have to be to bring down two giants. It was a nice episode.

92 starts right after the fight last season. I can't believe Hawks is working undercover to bring down the League of Villains. Like he's the #2 hero, I can't imagine the amount of stuff that he has and will have to look the other way at if he's going to get into their circle. Like when he tells Endeavor that he's sorry and that's his fault, like he's really at fault for it more than the man knows. And the fact that he can't refuse and the reason why is just worse. Hawks, the man that's too fast for his own good... All of this definitely makes me see him in a different way. The question the one man asked about if All for One's power really is the only way those monsters are made is interesting though.

The Todoroki family dinner went about as bad as I expected it to.

I like how in the one scene it went from Endeavor's new scar to his son's scar, like they match now or something like that.

The scene with the vestiges of the former users of One For All didn't have All Might there, unless he was the yellow one somehow. Maybe when Midoriya used One for All at 100% against Overhaul, it triggered something? I'm very interested in seeing where that goes.

86 Episode 1: I like the opening, it has a lot of things in it that I'm excited to see. It was nice to be able to put a face on Kujo's name since you don’t see it in the light novel. I also liked how the episode was shown from Lena's side and then the Processors' side. I'd have to see a full on battle, but the CGI mechs weren’t that bad. Seeing the machines that I've only had a single reference picture for actually move was so cool. It was a great first episode.

86 is similar to Iron Blooded Orphans, that's one of the reasons why I like it so much. But for the openings to be so similar is crazy. If only the song was as good as Raise your Flag. I know that's a high bar though.
    Spoiler:
    I pray that they don't meet the same fate as Orga and Mikazuki though.
    Last edited by Laserman; April 25th, 2021 at 10:06 AM.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrapnel View Post
    Bob the Builder's evil twin.
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperial View Post
    HF felt like Nasu holding up a megaphone and screaming, "LOOK AT HOW SAD THIS IS! ISN'T IT SAD? YOU SHOULD FEEL SAD!"

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Altaris View Post
    > Einzbern

> Making smart decisions

Pick one

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    Palingenesis just sounds like we're creating Sarah Palin.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftovers View Post
    >tfw you betray your ideals to get some

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizukume View Post
    In short, Japan's syncretism BS striked again.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by castor212 View Post
    Curse
    Blessing
    of the Boobs

Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl, þonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Digimon Adventure
    Episode 45: Damn, this was a good episode. I'm always partial to a good race episode (Redline being one of my all time favourite anime) and this was great despite only featuring a race between two Digimon. I really grew to like Machmon and was glad he survived. Yamato and Gabumon also shone thanks to their bromance and MetalGarurumon definitely felt earnt. The greatest moment had to be Takeru in the cheerleader outfit though, I bust a gut laughing at the poor kid.

Speaking of Takeru, next week looks good too what with HolyAngemon coming and potentially some backstory on Devimon too!?
    "Here's a bangin lil' tune about takin' on The Man!"

(Check out my Super Special Awesome Servant Compendium here)

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Gotta say I can't relate to all the love 86 is receiving. The start of the episode was just annoying with the obvious peeking joke and I still don't care enough about the soldiers so the death on the second half fell really flat.
    And despite that, the direction is so heavyhanded, Lena having a full-on mental breakdown at the end of the episode, shaking and wide-eye-crying included, was just silly. I get that it's hard to deal with a character alone in a room but they overcompesated a lot there.

The show is fine, but I'm really going to need more to keep me interested through 2 cours. Specially on Lena and Undertaker, they're way to bland right now to carry on as protagonists.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    Quote Originally Posted by pinetree View Post
    Gotta say I can't relate to all the love 86 is receiving. The start of the episode was just annoying with the obvious peeking joke and I still don't care enough about the soldiers so the death on the second half fell really flat.
    And despite that, the direction is so heavyhanded, Lena having a full-on mental breakdown at the end of the episode, shaking and wide-eye-crying included, was just silly. I get that it's hard to deal with a character alone in a room but they overcompesated a lot there.

The show is fine, but I'm really going to need more to keep me interested through 2 cours. Specially on Lena and Undertaker, they're way to bland right now to carry on as protagonists.
    I don't think you're really meant to feel anything towards the death (I certainly didn't) which is examplified through it being shown in Lena's perspective first. In the end it's a name on the screen and it's someone she barely knows, so her anguish over it really feels detached and serves the emphasize Theo's resulting blow up at her. At least that's my take on it.

Lena's interesting to me as someone who reminds me so much of my dark history every word she says makes me want to die, I guess in that sense seeing her progress is a form of wish fulfillment for me. No comment on Shin though, we barely know a thing about him (so far he's been shown as more of a collective with his group than as his own character) so there's nothing to really judge him on regarding his ability as a protagonist.

I'm juvenile so awkward boys being bullied makes me laugh and ymmv on the whole crying part. I liked the character acting myself.

JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Catching up with 86, wasn't expecting to see a robot jump on top of another robot for a headshot. Cool stuff, like Shin shooting those cans without even moving. I like the little quirks of the show, like the frog during the funny bath scene or the redhead dude giving Dead Girl an extra chance to win. Curious how Lena moves past the impotence of her ideals.
    canon finish apo vol 3

JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Oh no, Blue Girl got blinded ;_;

Looks like Aoi Yuuki's getting let out of her sword, though. And LMAO the Enigmatic Gale's up to his usual shit again, this should be great.
    canon finish apo vol 3