Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 36789101318 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring 2021 Anime: Oops All Sequels

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I was seriously considering watching Yasuke, but upon checking https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yasuke_(TV_series) I found the lack of Ranmaru and Mitsuhide disturbing. Disturbing enough as to drop that plan. It's like Castlevania without Death (entity). From what I can see, Yasuke replaces Ranmaru, and miss new villain, Yami no Daimyо̄, replaces Mitsuhide.
    Last edited by LegalLoliLover; April 29th, 2021 at 09:28 AM.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    If Diablo is doing the Demon Lord LARP to begin with, I don't see why he can't say that he made the dungeon.

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LegalLoliLover View Post
    I was seriously considering watching Yasuke, but upon checking https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yasuke_(TV_series) I found the lack of Ranmaru and Mitsuhide disturbing. Disturbing enough as to drop that plan. It's like Castlevania without Death (entity). From what I can see, Yasuke replaces Ranmaru, and miss new villain, Yami no Daimyо̄, replaces Mitsuhide.
    Ranmaru is definitely in the show, though I can't say if in a major role (only watched the first episode). Mitsuhide is also mentioned as "one whose mind was poisoned by the Daimyo" (or something along those lines) leading him to betray Nobunaga. Obviously the series is focusing on Yasuke since he's the principal character (and most of the Nobunaga stuff seems to be limited to flashbacks rather than the main plot), but that cast-list definitely doesn't include all the characters who appear.

Overall I'd say it's worth checking out. Good animation and the historical draw of an anime centering around the "black samurai" adds an interesting element. My main critique (again, only seen the first ep) is that the fantasy and sci-fi elements seem really jarringly integrated to the period-setting. I have nothing against those genres in themselves (as anyone who regularly peruses my watch-lists can likely tell) but it's really strange to see futuristic-looking mecha (not even steampunk or fantasy-looking) in a world that's otherwise Sengoku-era Japan. Kinda feels like two different shows in that way...

Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl, þonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RoydGolden View Post
    Overall I'd say it's worth checking out. Good animation and the historical draw of an anime centering around the "black samurai" adds an interesting element. My main critique (again, only seen the first ep) is that the fantasy and sci-fi elements seem really jarringly integrated to the period-setting. I have nothing against those genres in themselves (as anyone who regularly peruses my watch-lists can likely tell) but it's really strange to see futuristic-looking mecha (not even steampunk or fantasy-looking) in a world that's otherwise Sengoku-era Japan. Kinda feels like two different shows in that way...
    Ye, I was interested until heard about that and was majorly turned off as I would have greatly preferred a serious period piece.

We already have Afro Samurai for that sorta thing, I don't need to see it again.
    "Here's a bangin lil' tune about takin' on The Man!"

(Check out my Super Special Awesome Servant Compendium here)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    It's probably because beyond the death of Nobu and possibly being captured by Mitsuhide, we really don't have any further information on Yasuke. Was he taken away by the Jesuits, or was he convinced by Edward Kelley to try to resurrect Nobu? No one knows.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RoydGolden View Post
    Ranmaru is definitely in the show, though I can't say if in a major role (only watched the first episode). Mitsuhide is also mentioned as "one whose mind was poisoned by the Daimyo" (or something along those lines) leading him to betray Nobunaga. Obviously the series is focusing on Yasuke since he's the principal character (and most of the Nobunaga stuff seems to be limited to flashbacks rather than the main plot), but that cast-list definitely doesn't include all the characters who appear.

I agree about the mechs, but I wouldn't mind the magic stuff, if, you know, the Demon King Nobunaga would have used some. Then again, Tsukihime is a vampire series where Vlad III is not a vampire beyond a rumor made manifest by another vampire.
    Also, the Tenshō Iga War was after the Battle of Okehazama, right? Matsudaira Motoyasu joined Nobu after that battle. By extension, his officer, Hattori Hanzo, should have done the same, so why is he on the opposing side of the Tenshō Iga War?
    Last edited by LegalLoliLover; April 29th, 2021 at 07:04 PM.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Don't be fooled Yoshida, the I-cups are a trap. Find you a kouhai who doesn't play games.

broke: zombieland saga
    WOKE: ISEKAI MAOU

I can't believe it had a stronger dance scene than OsaMake, all hail the wotagei apes.
    Last edited by Rafflesiac; April 29th, 2021 at 08:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

Harbringer of Beguiling Light bassgs435's Avatar
    Well, OsaMake was made in a rush apparently. Trying some new multimedia approach to promoting new LNs by giving them anime ASAP. And rushing things'll never lead to good results
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

DINO GETTER,FUCK YESS
    Spoiler:

Banned
    Blog Entries
    It's really bothering me more than it should that there is not even a single passing mention that Nobu had magical powers, even in a series with magical powers. Unlike Vlad, Nobu, in life, declared himself the Demon King.
    Last edited by LegalLoliLover; April 29th, 2021 at 09:55 PM.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    HARD ROCK JUNKO

ZOMBIELAND SAGA IS BACK

RIP Kotarou's guitar though
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post

RIP Kotarou's guitar though

It died for for our J-pop sins. It will be missed.

I think I'm watching Joran now just to see how hilariously attempted edgy it gets. I'd say it's in the vein of Cross Ange, but I think it will be a long time beforew something hits that level of watchable entertaining train wreck. (I also love to remind myself that it exists, even though I have the feeling that if i watched it now it would be a mediocre 4/10).

At this point I can't really tell if Vivy is actually good, or if the fact that I watch weekly anime in alphabetical order while drinking means that I'm too sloshed to find fault in it. Either way I really enjoy it when I do watch it. Poor Toan-kun. Always being saved by the one thing he hates while his comades get cyborg kung-fu'd to death. If he wasn't a bit to early in the timeline, I'd have him pegged for John Conner Scientist in the 1st episode.

With all the talk about budgets in this week Mars Red, I was immediately drawn to the thought that Maeda stabbed Kurusu through the heart in that spar, which means he either needs a seamstress or a new uniform after every training session. That's got to be a huge budget sink right there, mister general. They also said a few episodes ago that only 10% of bite victims become vamps, yet there was at least twenty in that shine, but the military just learned of the deaths recently. I get that it's the 20's (or is it the 30's? Joran really messing me up being a similar story in a similar, if alt timeline, time period.), but still that's like at least 150 deaths they DIDN'T NOTICE.

The one thing that brought me down from Zombieland is the fact Junko's 3d model was really bad on the guitar solos. After that shamisen show this season and that gay math rock one a few seasons back any time a show has generic strumming motions just takes me out of it. At least Zombieland has enough other things to lean on to compensate.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Wait, so Yasuke was killing people left and right throughout the entire series but refuses to finish off Masako, due to "honor" or that thing he talks about every other sentence? Even if that's the case, can we at least get actual ghost Nobunaga (not the Masako-made illusion) gruesomely kill Masako for daring to usurp his castle or something, anything? Ugh, that series really left a bad taste in my mouth. I'm going to watch the Nobunaga episode of Kujaku-Ou to use as mouthwash.
    Last edited by LegalLoliLover; April 30th, 2021 at 04:10 PM.

夜属 Nightkin Irrelevant Passerby's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Boy, I've got a strong distaste for some of the decisions that're being made with the TWEWY adaptation, and I'm having trouble telling how much of it is my fanboyism for the original game coming through. I know it's not purely "different = bad" because I like some of the anime original content, like the extended Shiki-Eri scenes, but it's harder to tell in other cases.

There's a number of things that feel off to me due to simply not being the exact same as in the game, but that doesn't mean they're ineffective, just different. I can see how many of those changes might be better suited for the constraints of the medium, so I try not to get hung up on them. That being said, there's been other decisions, both major and minor, that have gotten much stronger negative responses out of me. These are the ones where it's harder to distinguish whether I dislike them because they're different, or because they're genuinely harmful to the narrative. For example, I feel like there's been a trend in the adaptation of eschewing subtlety in favor of dramatic framing. This may be in part a symptom of the condensed narrative and accompanying fast pace, but you get things like Joshua telling Neku straight up that he's been watching him in their first meeting, and it feels like the anime is slamming you in the face with his shadiness rather than building the mystery with smaller hints.

Like, is this an issue other people are feeling, or is it just me?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Yashahime, or rather InuYasha, as a whole, would definitely work better as a pure isekai, rather than time travel, unless of course modern youkai have a Masquerade or Veil thing going.

Mars Red Episode 4: The ability to communicate with ultra-sonic waves is pretty cool. Poor Yamagami can't do it though, so he was forced to try to deal with all those vampires by himself. Thankfully Kurusu was able to save him in time. What happened to that girl that Suwa met was just horrible. To be attacked by a gang of vampires just like he was... It seems like Defrott and Rufus are working together to bring the Ascra from Britain too. I wonder if we'll finally figure out what's happening to Colonel Maeda though.

My Hero Academia Season 5 Episode 91: So All Might never had a experience with those vestiges as vivid as Midoriya did, that's really interesting. This is uncharted territory for both of them.

I was wondering how this showdown would go, I thought it would be a big group fight, but this is a lot better than that. I will be surprised if Class 1-A loses more than one round, they've been through a lot, they got the experience on their side just like All Might said.

The added factor of Shinzo makes it even more fun. I didn't think that mask would be a voice changer, I just guessed that it was a like a speaker or something like that. I really want to know how it works, this was a great start to the match.
    Last edited by Laserman; May 8th, 2021 at 12:42 AM.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrapnel View Post
    Bob the Builder's evil twin.
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperial View Post
    HF felt like Nasu holding up a megaphone and screaming, "LOOK AT HOW SAD THIS IS! ISN'T IT SAD? YOU SHOULD FEEL SAD!"

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Altaris View Post
    > Einzbern

> Making smart decisions

Pick one

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    Palingenesis just sounds like we're creating Sarah Palin.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftovers View Post
    >tfw you betray your ideals to get some

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizukume View Post
    In short, Japan's syncretism BS striked again.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by castor212 View Post
    Curse
    Blessing
    of the Boobs

Blog Entries
    Today on Mairimashita! Iruma-kun: demon politics take a weird turn. Also unexpected musical.
    The Adventure of the Velvet Room (Sherlock Holmes/Persona) (SB, FFN, AO3)

Blog with all of my Servants so far.

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle Arete's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Irrelevant Passerby View Post
    Boy, I've got a strong distaste for some of the decisions that're being made with the TWEWY adaptation, and I'm having trouble telling how much of it is my fanboyism for the original game coming through. I know it's not purely "different = bad" because I like some of the anime original content, like the extended Shiki-Eri scenes, but it's harder to tell in other cases.

There's a number of things that feel off to me due to simply not being the exact same as in the game, but that doesn't mean they're ineffective, just different. I can see how many of those changes might be better suited for the constraints of the medium, so I try not to get hung up on them. That being said, there's been other decisions, both major and minor, that have gotten much stronger negative responses out of me. These are the ones where it's harder to distinguish whether I dislike them because they're different, or because they're genuinely harmful to the narrative. For example, I feel like there's been a trend in the adaptation of eschewing subtlety in favor of dramatic framing. This may be in part a symptom of the condensed narrative and accompanying fast pace, but you get things like Joshua telling Neku straight up that he's been watching him in their first meeting, and it feels like the anime is slamming you in the face with his shadiness rather than building the mystery with smaller hints.

Like, is this an issue other people are feeling, or is it just me?
    I'm with you there. There's plenty of other things they could've had him say instead or even not say anything and fill in time elsewhere. On the other hand, I feel like the mystery behind Deku's memory loss and double pins is made a bit clearer in the anime, though that could just be me being slow to comprehend things in the game. I'm thankful though that they're not making Deku too much of an anime emo teen. His character does feel a bit weaker but that's kinda a given with the nature of the medium.

The thing I wish they could convey better but alas fail simply due to the medium and foreknowledge on the viewer's part, is the extra weeks. I remember getting to day seven in the game and feeling like sure the game was a little short but it'd been fun and was ready to have it end there and that feeling of going into the second week was something I really wish could be captured in the anime. It's not a fault on the anime's part.

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NMR-3 View Post
    Today on Mairimashita! Iruma-kun: demon politics take a weird turn. Also unexpected musical.

Even seeing this post beforehand, I was not prepared for that.

I keep waiting the moment random violence breaks out and everyone shugs it off because they're demons, like the Student Council was going to rough up everyone who voted and the students would embrace it because might makes right. Or maybe I've been watching too much Comartie High recently.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors weeblord's Avatar
    Another fantastic ep of 86. Whats notable about this ep is that its probably up to 50% anime original stuff, or some stuff being moved around and timed differently for better effect. But the anime original stuff is all good and fits perfectly with the stuff from the source material. Honestly like this part even better in the anime. If only all anime adaptions could be like this.

This episode only adapted half a chapter, so currently we are 3 chapters in after 4 episodes, so we're not even halfway through volume 1. They're really gonna be dedicating a whole cour to volume 1, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by DTTS View Post
    Theo was definitely justified in most things he said but I feel he overstepped when grouping her with the other Alba and basically guilttripping her for her (admitably 100% correct) priviliged life. It's not like the feelings of sadness and guilt she had for Kaie's death were an act or fake in any way and he basically still shat all over them. That's the one thing I think he went too far in.
    I didnt want to reply before the new ep comes out cause it gets talked about there, but now that the ep is out:
    Spoiler:
    Yep, the part about Lena being just like the other Albas is definitely too far, and as we see in this ep the 86 do think so as well. Theo has a complicated feelings about the Alba, hes a cynic so he kinda hates them all for what they did, but the commander of his old squadron was an Alba volunteer for whom he has mixed feelings of dislike and respect. Obviously the respect won out cause Theo adopted the moniker of Laughing Fox after his death to honor him. So when Lena from her castle behind the big wall talks up big about how shes different from the other Alba with her empty self-satisfactory backpatting, he gets mad because he feels shes a fraud pretending to be what his dead commander, who actually gave his life to protect the 86 on the battlefield, was. So he puts her down by saying shes just like the other bad Alba.

Its not sound logic, but like i said, Theo is not really a character whose talking points are to be taken as objectively correct.

Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl, þonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Digimon Adventure Episode 44: Okay, first Calmaramon, then Petaldramon and now Sephirothmon? Methinks the writers really wanted to do a Frontier reboot but got lumped with Adventure instead.

Anyways, it was cool to see a bunch of previous enemies come back if only briefly. Devimon in particular was interesting as the twist of him being a Hollow Ichigo-esque darkness inside Angemon was unexpected but I really loved how they tied it into HolyAngemon having a black right arm which represents how Devimon cannot truly be vanquished.
    "Here's a bangin lil' tune about takin' on The Man!"

(Check out my Super Special Awesome Servant Compendium here)