Page 4 of 112 FirstFirst ... 2345691454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Melty Blood: Type Lumina

JP Friend Code
    003254397 / Ratman
    Blog Entries
    This isn't stated often, but melty voice acting is actually really amazing. Like, the fact that the characters speak and comment on each other is revolutionary for its time, Blazblue ripped that off. Considering that, I feel like western voice acting will hardly do this justice.

Of course, some of these guys (and Eltnum) WILL be added into blaztag (recall Mori saying he'd love to add Ciel) and then all hell will break loose.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    I wish they'd bring back the old VN-style storyline, even if only as an unlockable.

As a relative newbie to Nasuverse stuff and a complete newbie to Fighting Games in general, how influential was Melty Blood? I always thought it was just some fighting game spin-off but from the sounds of it, it seems like it was actually and still is a big deal.

全力後輩 - Zenryoku Kohai Altima of the Gates's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It was just that. A spinoff of a mainline title like Extella would be for Extra.
    Its pretty common for TM stuff to have all these spinoffs of spinoffs. Where you can even glean stuff from joke scenarios, like their April Fool's stuff.

Speaking of which, they've got to have some gnarly BS planned for April Fools this year.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Altima of the Gates View Post
    It was just that. A spinoff of a mainline title like Extella would be for Extra.

Blog Entries
    Well I mean, Extra IS a mainline title at this point right? I'm thinking of how it splinters off into multiple iterations and spinoffs of its own now.

JP Friend Code
    003254397 / Ratman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony246 View Post
    As a relative newbie to Nasuverse stuff and a complete newbie to Fighting Games in general, how influential was Melty Blood? I always thought it was just some fighting game spin-off but from the sounds of it, it seems like it was actually and still is a big deal.
    It is -the- internet poverty game, since around Act Cadenza it's had an active community on /jp/ and elsewhere that has grown into what we have now. A big part of that is the slapped on netcode, though. Still, Fightcade and all that's on it only came after Melty. There's also plenty of melty arcades in Japan, it's pretty popular in that sense too.

If you ask about the appeal, mechanically melty is doujin jank the doujin circle of which became a serious company as it went, so the passion is still there but there's some kind of order injected into it later. Good comparison is Touhou IaMP the doujin jank slowly turning into Hisoutensoku which still has stuff like Yuyuko but just has a lot of content to play around with between the updates, and professional presentation by the end. The newer Touhou fighters are much less soulful. Reminds me of UNI...

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle
    Funny you say that, because most people think IaMP is a much better fighting game mechanically than SWR or Hisoutensoku, mainly because all the interesting projectile behaviors in IaMP were replaced with “bullet fired straight ahead” in its successors

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    >rollback confirmed

How many BL reps we getting at EVO?
    >Implying MB will be at EVO
    >Implying EVO still matters
    >Implying we're even getting an EVO this year at all
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    ladies, he's single
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.

Blog Entries
    Didn't it seem like Sony was going to be the sponsor for Evo this time? Hell, that is even more likely to get a showing if their marketing department isn't asleep at the wheel, with Aniplex and Sony's relationship.
    Its like the dominoes are all falling into place.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Altima of the Gates View Post
    Well I mean, Extra IS a mainline title at this point right? I'm thinking of how it splinters off into multiple iterations and spinoffs of its own now.
    Extra =/= Extella

Put some respect down on Melty, I wouldn't bat an eyelash at comparing it to Extra but it's no Extella. In the first place, Nasu hasn't even roundabout mentioned that the story doesn't matter so he's handing it off to another author, which is exactly what happened to Extella Link, and that shows how he views that spinoff experiment.

When the boss himself hands the script for a new Melty game over to Sakurai or Higashide, that's when it's a fair comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
    It is -the- internet poverty game, since around Act Cadenza it's had an active community on /jp/ and elsewhere that has grown into what we have now. A big part of that is the slapped on netcode, though. Still, Fightcade and all that's on it only came after Melty. There's also plenty of melty arcades in Japan, it's pretty popular in that sense too.

If you ask about the appeal, mechanically melty is doujin jank the doujin circle of which became a serious company as it went, so the passion is still there but there's some kind of order injected into it later. Good comparison is Touhou IaMP the doujin jank slowly turning into Hisoutensoku which still has stuff like Yuyuko but just has a lot of content to play around with between the updates, and professional presentation by the end. The newer Touhou fighters are much less soulful. Reminds me of UNI...
    UNI living rent free

Also DH you're out of the loop. Evo will be happening again, it got acquired by Sony. Even if Evo doesn't run Melty as a main game (it has a very legitimate chance of being main stage though) it'll be run there anyway, due to the nature of Evo.

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, when the most iconic image of your game is guys having finals in a cramped hotel bathroom, you know that it will always have a place at tournaments. It's just a matter of finding whatever hole it's been buried in.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

Melty UNI

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six OnesFleetingGlory's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    So based on that teaser, unlike previous installment, same characters but separate units like Red Arcueid or Akiha Vermillion are just the characters' Special now?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OnesFleetingGlory View Post
    So based on that teaser, unlike previous installment, same characters but separate units like Red Arcueid
    ? That's just a special that Arc has.

or Akiha Vermillion are just the characters' Special now?
    That's Seifuku Akiha's arc drive from AACC. In fact, they didn't show a single "new" move, just old specials and animations redone with the new sprites in the new game.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six OnesFleetingGlory's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Oh, I see. I'm not too familiar with Melty Blood gameplay, so I thought the characters with different mode has their own exclusive sprites instead of the normal one changing into another.

And was trying to type Powerd Ciel there, but slipped out on Arcueid.

JP Friend Code
    003254397 / Ratman
    Blog Entries
    Since we can now see Heat is meter-based, the moon indicator grows ever more mysterious.

- - - Updated - - -

kinda weird shield in heat (red heat??) leads to 17 dissection but ok

- - - Updated - - -

I guess he deadass cancelled shield into AAD??

- - - Updated - - -

wait nvm it actually says Last Arc

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OnesFleetingGlory View Post
    Oh, I see. I'm not too familiar with Melty Blood gameplay, so I thought the characters with different mode has their own exclusive sprites instead of the normal one changing into another.

And was trying to type Powerd Ciel there, but slipped out on Arcueid.

- - - Updated - - -

Powerd Ciel IS another character, but she wears the outfit in this super

Vermillion Akiha IS another character, but her hair changes colors for this super

other side of Red Garden AmADo VII's Avatar
    ^
    I read one of the comments in official PV they removed Ciel's tattoo and looks like the guy was right.

JP Friend Code
    003254397 / Ratman
    Blog Entries
    That's not shocking, the tattoos are very campy. Warhammer 40k campy.

Or the more likely option, they've come to appreciate cool gnostic symbols as of the last Melty, and today they've concluded that crucifix with angelic wings doesn't quite cut it for a symbol. It's kind of weird since I can think of a million ways to spin catholic warrior but no tat is better than bad tat. It stays with you for the whole life! And Ciel is immortal! Imagine having that on your body for 200 years. How embarassing!

yeah I know it's just war paint