Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer Animu 2021 Edition - we're bringing it back

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I was thinking of dropping Detective Is Already Dead but this episode brought back the more intriguing danger and mystery elements from the first one. Didn't call that idol loli was actually setting them up and it was nice to see a mystery get resolved by actual reasoned steps (even if not particularly guessable by the audience ones) instead of Siesta's "I knew the right answer before I even got there". There were some funny moments too like Kimizuka and Saikawa matter-of-factly talking while pointing guns at each other (the shot of Saikawa smiling cutely while pointing a gun felt it could make a nice meme) and Kimizuka mentally brooding and going on a lengthy internal monologue over the best way to get Saikawa to stand down only to be taken aback when Nagisa just bluntly asks to be friends with her.

Going by the after-credits scene I guess either Siesta is a lot older than she looks or the new girl means "Mom" more in a surrogate sense, which is presumably more likely. Still raises some questions over how a middle-schooler became the adoptive mother to an at least highschool-aged girl but I guess we'll find that out in the next episodes.

Harbringer of Beguiling Light bassgs435's Avatar
    It's a translation mistake. She was saying "ma'am", which does sound like "mom". This was also a problem in Symphogear G, so my experience with that show led me to assume the subs were mistaken, and I'm right according to source readers in Twitter
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

DINO GETTER,FUCK YESS
    Spoiler:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bassgs435 View Post
    It's a translation mistake. She was saying "ma'am", which does sound like "mom". This was also a problem in Symphogear G, so my experience with that show led me to assume the subs were mistaken, and I'm right according to source readers in Twitter
    That's a shame, her calling Siesta "mom" was actually kind of cute and amusing in the juxtaposition where it's the obviously more mature (physically) girl saying that to the petite one. Also subs aside the way it's pronounced really does sound more like "mom" than "ma'am" IMO but maybe that's because it's with a Japanese accent.

JP Friend Code
    616288630 tell/pm/whatev
    Blog Entries
    Magia Record S2 starts with a bang.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Wasn't 100% sold on Jahy at first but it pulled some laughs out of me and looks good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    So I've got two weeks of anime to catch up on since I went on a Marvel TV binge last weekend.

Iruma: I was kind of hoping Iruma getting mad would bring out his Evil Side.

Detective is Already Dead: Wasn't that guy in prison like two days ago? Why is he a chauffer now, and if he's escaped, why didn't Tomato warn the guy who put him away and is in the same town?

Re-Main: This is like the anti-sports show. There's no team of established senpai. Their gutsy challenge fails. The MC is in it not because he likes the sport , but because he dosn't want to lose money.

Slime: Wow two episode of nothing. These revelations of the oppositions plans might hit a lot harder if we hadn't seen the person describe their plan ten minutes before.

Idaten: I was on board for like 90% of the show, but the sudden Fujino at the end of episode 1 was some real tonal whiplash. Gonna wait a bit before firing up episode 2.

Bakarina: Watch out, the mentor has a cough. He's not living past ten minutes. A Bug?

Dragon Maid: Ah, the loli-bait episode. It's really heartening every week to see that even with all the terrible things that happened to them, this show kept the exact same quality as previously.

Peach Boy: Wow that fourth episode should really have been earlier. Also the rabbit is some kind of angel/god but has the devil gene instead?

Remake our Life: I really wish this show had gotten a full 24 episodes, so that we see improvements outside of 30 second training montages in the intro. I do wish that after each event we'd get a flash to the proper timeline about what happened during that event. Otherwise the time travel seems really underutilized.

Fuck. You. That's God Knows from Haruhi. I'd know that opening guitar riff anywhere. Why though? I could see if maybe it was a VA joke but Nanako's only started in 2016, a full decade after that aired. And it's a different anime studio.

Great Jehy: So Devil is a Part Timer without the chance of worst girl winning.

Aquatope: As soon as I saw the immensely pregnant teacher I made a joke about her giving birth in the penguin tank. Minutes later, I'm dying as her water breaks while in there. Although for some reason they moved her to a public bench, rather than to one of the staff areas where thye could have privacy without closing the area down. Did I miss the line about her husband/boyfriend not being there? Because it seems like that's someone who was missing from this whole adventure.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

About Dead detective, it's obvious Kimi used his police contacts to get Bat as his driver since he felt his super hearing'd come in handy in this case, given the noisy packed concert
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

DINO GETTER,FUCK YESS
    Spoiler:

Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl, þonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Digimon Adventure Episode 59: It's finally Izzy's time to shine, and Tai came along for the bromance. It feels very natural that Izzy's Crest Trial would be more around solving problems than smashing through with brute force so I enjoyed the Die Hard-esque gauntlet of riddles. Very creepy of Nanomon to spy on the gang through Izzy's laptop camera, something I never considered a factor before. HeraklesKabuterimon is always awesome, just a shame the fight was so short.

Next week though, Joe finally gets his Mega at last and it's a viking battle of all things. Looks very epic~
    "Here's a bangin lil' tune about takin' on The Man!"

(Check out my Super Special Awesome Servant Compendium here)

My Hero Academia Season 5 Episode 101:
    Spoiler:
    In this episode, they had Mt.Lady come by and explain how to deal with the press. I wonder if that was in direct response to the interview that Bakugo and Todoroki gave after beating those villains. She explained that a hero's ultimate move is like a calling card, they're a good way for people to remember them, scare villains and just reassure people. They don't just shout out the names of their attacks because it sounds cool, which is completely fine.

They actually brought up the whole traitor thing again too.

They don’t think there’s one among the students at least, but there has to be one.
    Like how else did they know where the training camp was, they're getting their information from somewhere, someone feeding the villains.

To have the work-studies be mandated this time by the safety commission because they think something bad is going to happen and they're willing to let the first year students that have their provisonal licenses out again.

Bakugo can name his attacks pretty well, but his hero names are all so bad. Like they're puns in Japanese, but that doesn't translate well into English.

I liked what Best Jeanist said about their hero names being a wish, how you want to be, or how you think you should be. He might not say it, but I think Bakugo really cares about him.

Eri coming in the little suit and not knowing the right traditions for the holidays was so cute.

Once again, Midoriya doesn't have any real options for the work-study in mind. He tried everyone he could think of, but after Sir Nighteye's passing, his agency is too busy, and Grand Torino is too busy as well. So Todoroki actually recommended that they try getting one with Endeavor.

It was a fun episode, I just wish they could have this somehow actually come out during Christmas. In general, I liked this arc. There were some upsets like what happened to Kirishima in his match or how Tokoyami had 2 people down and their team still lost, but it was pretty good.

My Hero Academia Season 5 Episode 102
    Spoiler:

Hawks is back to his undercover work having a conversation with Dabi about the Noumu attack. Just the potential of having the number 2 hero on their side is why they’re reaching out to him again.

Everyone getting to see their families again after so long was good, and it was nice seeing that Best Jeanist was fine after what happened to him. It's sad that he lost a lung though.

The question is what is Hawks going to do? He wouldn't actually do that, right?

Endeavor being like, "Welcome to my agency, why are the two of you here?", was so funny. He just wanted some father-son time, but Bakugo and Midoriya are along for the ride.

For the first episode of this half of the season that villain with the glass powers and the chase was pretty cool.

I laughed when Hawks showed up holding the Meta Liberation War book because I've seen the manga picture of him holding it before I even knew who he was.

The secret message that he conveyed in the book to Endeavor was the important part. The liberation army is the enemy, they have over 100000 members, and they'll strike in 4 months. They had the one hero reporting to the man with the laptop, Skeptic, so the idea of more heroes going to their side is sadly believable. But I have to say it's real shameful too. These are the people that you're supposed to count on and call out to for help, and they're joining some obviously evil organization in secret. While apparently still doing their jobs!

But you can't tell me they made an army of that many people and no noticed. That's an insane number, you just can't gather that many people and not have anyone not realize it. If it were 100, sure. 1000, maybe. But 100000...

Also I thought that Hawks was just trying to infiltrate the League. Are the League and the Meta Liberation Army connected, or is it just another organization he's also trying to get into? This was big episode and it's only the start of the second half.

I just put them in tags because of the size. People are really excited for this arc, so I'm looking forward to it.

- - - Updated - - -

The double spoiler tags are gone, the server move really was a good thing.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrapnel View Post
    Bob the Builder's evil twin.
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperial View Post
    HF felt like Nasu holding up a megaphone and screaming, "LOOK AT HOW SAD THIS IS! ISN'T IT SAD? YOU SHOULD FEEL SAD!"

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Altaris View Post
    > Einzbern

> Making smart decisions

Pick one

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    Palingenesis just sounds like we're creating Sarah Palin.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftovers View Post
    >tfw you betray your ideals to get some

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizukume View Post
    In short, Japan's syncretism BS striked again.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by castor212 View Post
    Curse
    Blessing
    of the Boobs

JP Friend Code
    Friend convinced me to give Tantei wa Mou, Shindeiru a try...

...I get it now why he keeps calling it "The Best Girl is already Dead".

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Dead Detective: LMAO Jouji Nakata voices an evil buff dude who says he'll take your heart, this is just in UBW when
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    The last episode of Vanitas was amazing. I feel so bad for Noe, Domi and Louise

Quote Originally Posted by mami-kouga View Post
    The last episode of Vanitas was amazing. I feel so bad for Noe, Domi and Louise
    It really was. I was fearing the worst for Noe for a second there before Vanitas showed up
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

DINO GETTER,FUCK YESS
    Spoiler:

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I finally have time to watch stuff after catching up to Odd Taxi, Dynazenon and Godzilla SP but I haven't looked at anything anime-related for like 2 months.
    Is there anything worth watching this season besides Dragon Maid?

I was mildly interested in Detective is Dead but each trailer and key visual released seemed worse and worse.
    Sonny Boy seemed like it could be promising, is it? So far at least?
    Does Idaten Deities actually look as visually interesting as its OP implies it could be? I don't want to search around for out of context clips.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pinetree View Post
    Does Idaten Deities actually look as visually interesting as its OP implies it could be? I don't want to search around for out of context clips.
    I've heard nothing but praise for the show's visuals. Critique seems to be mainly aimed at the characters being weak or the story needlessly edgy (there's a rape-scene at the end of the first episode). If your interest is piqued on the visual front I'd at least check it out to see for yourself. Can't say any more since it's not part of my seasonal watchlist.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Well I wasn't expecting anything on those fronts anyway considering who the writer is, so I'll check it out at least. Thanks.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Re-Main continues to Sports Shounen in the most roundabout way, and I think I only really enjoy it becasue I've got such a built up reference. Sudden change of heart in seventh team member was expected, but the second half of the episode was pretty hilarious. The smarmy rival squad actually being the worst team in the area? Them subbing out for the Junior High squad so the MC's are getting bodied by children (even though these characters are only like a year apart in age. Why are they designed to look like their 13)? Amazing.

Not feeling the hype for Water Polo though, which isn't good for a sports anime. Hell, the ballroom dancing anime even managed to do that, and it's ballroom dancing.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Sometimes people's salty reactions to certain anime story developments enhance the experience of said development, like Sesshomaru banging Rin and the Peach Boy team totally being cool with Carrot's actions at the beginning of the series.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Opera Girls: The minute Yamada said she lost weight, I started the count until she self destructs. It was just a question of if she collapses and learns a lesson, gets kicked out, or dies. And they just went and made it actual bulimia. Wow this really is the dark gritty reboot of Love Live.

Black Company: I don't think I've ever seen a show go double isekai. Although I'm calling it that they're in the future, and that the company that ruined the world is one he made. Either that or he's the Demon Lord.
    Last edited by Mattias; August 7th, 2021 at 01:05 AM.

Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl, þonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
    Black Company: I don't think I've ever seen a show go double isekai. Although I'm calling it that they're in the future, and that the company that ruined the world is one he made. Either that or he's the Demon Lord.
    You mean the residents of the Isekai get tossed back into the real world? Yeah that doesn’t often happen in anime for some reason, the only other show I can think of that did it would be “Aura Battler Dunbine” which had multiple arcs involving that concept.
    "Here's a bangin lil' tune about takin' on The Man!"

(Check out my Super Special Awesome Servant Compendium here)