Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is FGO a good game? What do you like and dislike? How can it be fixed?

I feel fgo encourages nasu's worst habits, but then again a lot of what i dislike has seeds before fgo so is it more they just germinated in fgo?

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle Ubergeneral's Avatar
    what exactly are nasu's worst habits?

Quote Originally Posted by Ubergeneral View Post
    what exactly are nasu's worst habits?
    considering Byegod past posts, breathing.
    Because you are too young. Or too stupid. Or both.

屍鬼 Ghoul
    Honestly I'm fine without there being a pity system. DW's fairly responsible with putting the inflated sales as a result back into the game, resulting in some of the most resource intensive characters in any mobage gacha short of exceptions like Genshin. 5*s in other gachas are lucky to have even 40 seconds of unique dialogue and more than an 8.5x11 cm sheet's worth of assets. FGO meanwhile pushes upwards of 40 minutes as the roster of 5*s continues updating to get 2-3 cel-shaded cut-in NPs, 3DCGI assets, and music. People get so hung up on 5*s that they lose sight of what actually makes them valuable.
    Last edited by Mellow Animal; December 19th, 2021 at 06:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mellow Animal View Post
    Honestly I'm fine without there being a pity system. DW's fairly responsible with putting the inflated sales as a result back into the game, resulting in some of the most resource intensive characters in any mobage gacha short of exceptions like Genshin. 5*s in other gachas are lucky to have even 40 seconds of unique dialogue and more than an 8.5x11 cm sheet's worth of assets. FGO meanwhile pushes upwards of 40 minutes as the roster of 5*s continues updating to get 2-3 cel-shaded cut-in NPs, 3DCGI assets, and music. People get so hung up on 5*s that they lose sight of what actually makes them valuable.
    Well, you have examples like Granblue having fully voiced events as a standard and what not. Sure said events are shorter, but they're also coming out on a regular schedule with one new event every month. Usually 1-5 new characters a month and their equivalent of an interlude being out day 1 with them also being voiced. Stuff like voiced valentine scenes with characters that's something they eventually added to FGO and is a special big deal is a normal thing that's multiple holidays too. (White Day, Valentines Day, Christmas)

I don't think that a few pieces of game CGs/art every few months, and new music with new content is anything laudable. If anything that's rather standard. Sprite-kun is however like the shining diamond in the rough of FGO and I'd say half its value at this point.

I look at other games like PGR that innovate and add more ideas and mechanics to the gameplay, and design new boss fights and encounters that are really cool for a game.

The only real meaningful change or addition made to gameplay is break bars I'd say. Stuff like Command Codes and extra grail levels and Bond boosts end up just small little numbers that make you stronger, but don't enable new playstyles or change the gameplay.

It's important to judge FGO as more than just a bootleg watered down visual novel that you pay to simp for JPEGs in.

Pity systems that are actually meaningful are a staple of the industry and this genre of gaming these days. Not having it is strikingly anti-consumer and rather unfortunate. Beyond that there's a shitton of quality of life updates that can definitely be done, and there's always discussion for UI and presentation updates which other gachas have sometimes gone for, often for the better. That's before going over what I'd say are general lacking core gameplay loops and whatnot.
    Last edited by Menwearpink; December 20th, 2021 at 04:47 AM.

I think waves with immediate switch in of new enemies after death, instead of waiting for the party actions to end, and having up to 6 enemies at the same time are significant changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Herod View Post
    I think waves with immediate switch in of new enemies after death, instead of waiting for the party actions to end, and having up to 6 enemies at the same time are significant changes.
    Not really. People just do the same with them as before, just NP spam AoE until they're dead. They haven't added any depth to the gameplay, just slightly altered how you farm nodes (and even then they haven't been used that often too).

I told 'em, I told 'em. Bugrit! eddyak's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Yeah, adding more numbers, or adding a second set of numbers, isn't an amazing gameplay update.
    FGO Supports
    NA
    JP

JP Friend Code
    nonexistant
    Uhh... Hi...
    A preemptive disclaimer as someone that has basically only read the Main Quest up to Olympus: that is pretty much all I know.

Things I like:
    - Mashu Kyrielight
    - Story from Camelot onward... for the most part, Lostbelts in particular are all really good
    - Romani Archiman
    - The revamped OST in the Lostbelts
    - Shinmen Musashi no Kami Fujiwara no Harunobu
    - The higher usage of CGs to sell story events in the Lostbelts
    - Kirschtaria Chadime

Things I dislike:
    - Early Singularities
    - The uhh... bedrock of the gameplay I guess you can say
    - Content overload imo - I know that maybe for a gacha this is quite sparse but for a TM entry this is far and away the one with the most content, bar none, by parsecs. It requires constant attention all the time, or at least a regular check-in so as to not miss anything.
    - Very personal projection regarding the course taken by TM since the release of this game

What to do to fix:
    - Dunno how to fix those singularities other than rewriting them... but they present issues, some of which still eat away at me when I am enjoying the current story beats
    - Don't think I'll ever come to like the gameplay no matter what they do to fix it. So it's not something I pay much attention to. Maybe have a button to skip the flashy NP animations? At least that would make the battles go by faster.
    burn your dread you coward

屍鬼 Ghoul
    So I left out asset heavy games like Genshin and PGR for a reason. It costs a lot of money for 3DCGI models you can reskin and mocap and the rates/currency reflects it. You have to pop around $250 for an S rank in PGR and around $365 to hit guaranteed in Genshin, nevermind the former's 0.5% rate -HALF of FGO's 1/0.8% rate. Genshin's is 0.05% and it's widely accepted that even then it's actually rigged between rolls 20-69. That's far beyond the realm of humble mobage like FGO and GBF.

But still I have to stress how much goes into the servants with 3 different ascensions to work with over attack animations, idles, skills, on hit, and NP. But we get more costumed servants every year so it can go up to 5. Its a lotta lotta lotta hand drawn animations. Bringing it up in the same breath as Granblue where it's only TWO sprites squashed and stretched around to give the illusion of animation is simply absurd.

I'm all for a pity system but just don't complain if the asset quality starts dipping as a result.

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    What actually makes FGO's characters attractive roll targets is the story attached to them anyway. No matter how flashy they make their animations these days they're still aeons behind the 'best in the market'. Meanwhile, GBF has been surviving and thriving just fine with even more outdated sprites and graphics (though GBF has a MUCH more solid bedrock of gameplay foundation to base characters on, and they've clearly invested a lot in making powercreep uniform and manageable unlike FGOs jumping the shark every other year). I think people would gladly take less Servants with less bling every year for a chance to guarantee playing with their favorites.
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    ladies, he's single
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.

I couldn't understand the mechanics of GBF. Like the game literally didn't make sense to me.

I think the lack of content is the biggest problem FGO has. The content they made was great when it released. There wasn't a single bad event in 2021 but it felt sparse and there were a lot of dead weeks. There are missed oppertunies as well. Only 2 new servants in the collab. There were two grail fronts but no new servants for either of them. Not many animation updates. We haven't gotten any since the swimsuit event. Back in early fgo even dead weaks gave us new servants. Now we get hardly anything. My optimism I had earlier this year has dried up. I'm hoping the switch to aniplex fixes this and gets a more steady stream of new stuff.

game balence wise, the game is pretty much set in its meta with slave supports buffing everything. At this point less popular servants need buffs to make them useful rather than just going back to the skadi, castoria, vich comp over and over.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubergeneral View Post
    There wasn't a single bad event in 2021
    What about Grail Live, Treasure Island and Csejte Cinderella?

JP Friend Code
    I think so far the only event of this year that got me go "ah this is nice" is the new gudaguda, and Vitch event would probably top it.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Kirishima's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    Summer gave me good mats, summer Kama and sexier costumes for Achilles and Mandricardo, therefore it cannot be bad.

Summer had Columbus Egg and Douman sudden, inevitable betrayal.

屍鬼 Ghoul
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    What actually makes FGO's characters attractive roll targets is the story attached to them anyway.
    I mean, yes. Nasu is a good writer. Its why we let FGO get away with selling saberfaces every year. But he's been uncooperative with FGO2 and DW's had to severely ration out the content since. Money can't fix this situation so that just leaves DW to choose between keeping the current system and actively reinvest it as much as they can or implement a pity system at the risk of devaluing their product further in addition to having lackluster story attached. As for the powercreep honestly I don't think it's fair to blame them for that. With the way they fucked with Bradamante and Xiang Yu's numbers on release they clearly didn't realize what they were unleashing with Skadi and they've been trying to make things work since.

Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    I don't play JP but looking at the memes all 3 of those looked good to me.

I'm curious though. What made those event bad? What would make them good?

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Story bad.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Grail Live is very questionable in how it presents itself as a collab and has a style that alienates a decent part of the playerbase.

Treasure Island is kinda nothing.

Csejte Cinderella does far less with its characters than previous Halloween events did with Cleopatra and Hime, and it's hurt even further by having this old event being run together with it for comparison.