Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lord El-Melloi II Case Files Manga and etc (Heian Alien)

Thank you, Mr. Case Files... narmbo's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    bought the JP bluray with the drama cd attached. i'll be doing an upload of that whenever it comes in. i've been really busy with my job but i'm getting more time off now that the holidays are over so i'll be hopefully getting some time to work on the manga or my shite translation attempt of adventures.

US Friend Code
    not case files, but i ripped and uploaded one disc of the babylonia stage (the male master side). i plan to rip and upload the female master and bonus disc as well! unsubtitled but feel free to subtitle it if youre so inclined i guess?

Btw how much did the manga cover yet in terms of case files novel?
    They finished zeppelin?

US Friend Code
    The most recent chapter I can find (45) is just after Faker's first attack on the roof of the train.

US Friend Code
    great news, new chapter should be up soon! i'm finished we're just going over it to see if rad wants me to fix anything before we upload it. then we get to volume 5, and we can speed thru iselma pretty fast, hopefully.
    i'm getting the epub for adventures 3 soon, and otherwise i'm trying to get my hands on a full set of the wadamemos so i can do full scans of all of them, since i can only find 1-3 at best.
    i don't know if adventures is a project i can realistically tackle translating on my own, but if anyone is more fluent in japanese and wants to help, that'd be great.
    if anyone has any suggestions for things they want ripped/uploaded, let me know, because i'm bored and want to help archive as much TM as i realistically can.

It's better to release iselma at once.
    Also I haven't found any knk drama cd raws. If there are stocks any more.

US Friend Code
    still working on the manga at a snail's pace, my bad. busy with real life but it's still getting worked on. sorry about that.
    here is the new drama CD from the OVA, here is the OVA (jp, no subs, good for if you want caps), and i'll be scanning the book that came with character refs, background work and an interview soon. just too lazy to do it tonight but i thought i'd get you the media rips for now.

US Friend Code
    long time no update. here's the JP booklet from the OVA. keeping an eye out for it to be dubbed (in my dreams) and therefore translate all the interviews at the end, but no luck yet. if it does get dubbed though i'll be buying it (sigh) and ripping it UNLESS christian and aniplex finally give into my demands and put it on a streaming service. i've been incredibly bogged down with work and stress and real life shit but i will be getting onto finishing iselma soon hopefully, and keep an eye out for some kind of adventures translation actually happening

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    It felt really weird to receive and translate someone's interview in such a tragic day of their lives, but here's Sanda's part. May his father rest in peace.

Looking back at the Case Files of Lord El-Melloi II animations, from the first TV to this OVA, how do you feel?

The anime always put more weight than the novels on the chain linking Waver to El-Melloi II, which just so happens to be what this OVA is entirely about, so watching it always gets me thinking about his journey. Like Melvin said in the story, his change and development are not something anyone could imagine from his starting point, and the question of where is he going next is one that keeps even me, his writer, excited.

You are currently writing The Adventures of Lord El-Melloi II. Did the Case Files adaptations and their reception effect or alter how you write it?

In multimedia franchises, the professionals of a medium generally trust the professionals of another to know what they're doing, so I don't think much about what others will do when I'm writing. However, the voices in my head when I'm writing lines more major characters like Reines or Gray are now the anime voices (laughs). I also sometimes catch myself thinking "This would look so cool animated".

This OVA was Aozaki Touko's anime debut. Did you give any instructions or requests on she should be adapted?

Touko is a very special character for Type-Moon, so when I talked to the writer, I made a lot of changes to her dialogue. The most memorable part was discussing how we needed a reason for her to get involved in the case but the explanation couldn't take too much screentime, so my best idea was that she should be Camus's photography pal. It caught the fan off-guard but they accepted it as pretty in-character for Touko to be this caring to a friend with a shared hobby.

Were El-Melloi II's classmates Camus and Amleth conceptualized for the novels?

The El-Melloi Classroom already existed in Kayneth's days, and it had a more normal reputation back then, even, so I expected characters like them to exist. That said, I hadn't put any real thought into any of those characters on an individual level. It was the wonderful people of the anime staff that breathed life into all of his classmates, and I learned about how the old class was the same way the audience did. El-Melloi II's young appearance at the reunion induced them into calling him Waver, but at his real age, they all would probably call him either Lord or El-Melloi II, so this must have been a weirdly nostalgic moment for them.

Is there any part of the OVA you want the viewers to pay special attention to?

I loved how they used an advent calendar to show the passage of time! That was in such good taste. Also, Camus's last line, "You were always my hero", is a line I included in the script, as my idea of a good way to close this theme, so I got way more attached to it than I imagined. That's because the inadequate Waver Velvet has always been my hero too.

US Friend Code
    sorry for the lack of updates on the manga, i'm trying to figure out a way to shift over my side of the work to someone else. still ironing out things. hopefully we should be back up and running on that soon, i've just got a lot on my plate these days creatively and irl
    added epubs of adventures 3, 4, and 5. theyre in the masterpost as well.

Blog Entries
    There are so many different "El-Melloi II" topics in the Translation thread, it's confusing me...Is this the one to go to for translations of the manga? I'm finding a lot of threads about the light novels(s?), but I'm only interested in the manga, and only scanlations, not translations and images separate from each other. I've read the first 7 chapters, but whoever I used to go to for translations dropped out at some point I think, and I can't remember who it was. I've forgotten much of the plot by now, but I'm thinking of getting back into it, but I'm unsure where to look for chapters...

"The world is just another word for the things you value around you, right? That's something I've had since I was born. If you tell me to rule such a world, I already rule it."

Hey Rokudaime. I think i can try to summarize the translations of El-Melloi. Apologies if i make any mistake.

narmbo is working on the translation of the manga with rad. (Thank you by the way. It is appreciated!)
    You can find a link to more translated chapters in the first post of this thread (mangadex).

-------

As for the novel, it was first translated by TwilightCall: https://forums.nrvnqsr.com/showthrea...-II-Case-Files but they stopped during volume 5.
    (This volume is the end of the anime)

Kneesaw is almost finished translating that particular volume here: https://forums.nrvnqsr.com/showthrea...es-volume-five

Az took over TwilightCall's novel translation and translated the rest of Case Files starting at volume 6: https://forums.nrvnqsr.com/showthrea...ng-From-Book-6

Az is also translating the sequel, "The Adventures of Lord El-Melloi II" here: https://forums.nrvnqsr.com/showthrea...sh-Translation

-------
    The novel is pretty good but if you really want only the manga, you will have to wait for narmbo and rad's upload.
    Last edited by Nouka; May 8th, 2023 at 12:26 AM.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    How far has the manga gotten into the novels? Where is it at right now?

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle All fictions's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Rail Zeppelin I believe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    Punching out some nerd doesn't make you a better magus.

US Friend Code
    Manga is at Rail Zeppelin (novels 4-5), and I think it's getting near the end of that arc? The translation is at the start of Iselma (novels 2-3).

US Friend Code
    case files got picked up by UMD with rad's okay, i should mention-- should be getting some more progress on that sometime soon.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nouka View Post
    Hey Rokudaime. I think i can try to summarize the translations of El-Melloi. Apologies if i make any mistake.

narmbo is working on the translation of the manga with rad. (Thank you by the way. It is appreciated!)
    You can find a link to more translated chapters in the first post of this thread (mangadex).

-------

As for the novel, it was first translated by TwilightCall: https://forums.nrvnqsr.com/showthrea...-II-Case-Files but they stopped during volume 5.
    (This volume is the end of the anime)

Kneesaw is almost finished translating that particular volume here: https://forums.nrvnqsr.com/showthrea...es-volume-five

Az took over TwilightCall's novel translation and translated the rest of Case Files starting at volume 6: https://forums.nrvnqsr.com/showthrea...ng-From-Book-6

Az is also translating the sequel, "The Adventures of Lord El-Melloi II" here: https://forums.nrvnqsr.com/showthrea...sh-Translation

-------
    The novel is pretty good but if you really want only the manga, you will have to wait for narmbo and rad's upload.
    Quote Originally Posted by narmbo View Post
    case files got picked up by UMD with rad's okay, i should mention-- should be getting some more progress on that sometime soon.
    All right, thanks! I'll check out mangadex then. I already have an account there.

"The world is just another word for the things you value around you, right? That's something I've had since I was born. If you tell me to rule such a world, I already rule it."

Hello, narmbo

You know how a good majority of the Case Files of El Melloi II manga is left untranslated? Wouldn't it make more sense to use the already existing fan translation of the light novels as an additional reference on top of locating via machine-translating the manga's text? Therefore, speeding up the process to an extent.

Even though machine translation is against the rules here, I think it's safe to use it as a way to "locate" which dialogue to use from TwilightCall's light novel translation.

Or perhaps copy and paste the light novels' dialogues or excerpts into the manga's speech bubbles/boxes and verify with the machine translation version, and adjust it if needed.

You're basically cross referencing between the two source materials.
    Last edited by Twisted Rabbid; July 8th, 2023 at 09:25 PM.

US Friend Code
    if someone else wants to do that, sure, but i don't find pure MTL a great way to translate, speaking from experience. if people want to attempt that, that's fine-- i just don't really like the process and it gets aggravating cross referencing things only to be way off base because its an idiom or a word has double meaning
    i'd love to revive the manga translation but i just haven't had the time for page cleaning these days. if anyone wants to take up the project seriously though, you can let us know and we'll pass along what we have

Narmbo, do you have all of the raw Case Files manga chapters? If so, are they in a google drive? I'd like to look at the raw Japanese version.