Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why does Kinoko Nasu worldbuild so much?

Why does Kinoko Nasu worldbuild so much?

What drives him to make such a complex world? I know I won't be able to get a direct answer without asking him but I'm fine with a good enough guess.

This is not to throw shade on his works.

JP Friend Code
    003254397 / Ratman
    Blog Entries
    Have you ever done worlbuilding? It can get pretty addicting. The perfect hobby for the 21st century schizoid man. But in the end you've gotta stop yourself from making your work pointless, no matter how much fun it is.

What I want to know is how does he worldbuild so strangely. I guess you could say most settings are built top-down, where the writer first figures out what the pitch is, and writes from there. The Nasuverse feels like it's written bottom-up, even if the writer himself knows what's at the center. The whole thing is this overly detailed mess of loosely connected structures, all of which is satellite to a bunch of central ideas and events, which themselves are never too closely defined or challenged. I guess it lets him keep creative freedom.

- - - Updated - - -

No, I will not believe anyone saying that it's a result of his authorial integrity and Mahoyo 2-3 as well as The Dark Six were all meant to be out by now. That's bollocks.

i've tried to worldbuild and it ended up being a chore for me, but i can understand how other people can like it.

also, never noticed that nasuverse was built 'bottom up'. that's interesting.

Blog Entries
    Kinoko Nasu's entire carrer consists of writing the same 5 stories over and over again, succesfully.
    Call me 想φαγω.
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooncake View Post
    I get this vague feeling from your posts that you're looking down on people who don't share your view, which is what it is, but at least take a moment to snort some common sense between those hits of pretension.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
    My opinion is better than your opinion, so it isn't up for debate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun
    Telling us that you're rich is not going to make anyone stop laughing at you for believing in self-insert NTR.
    Quote Originally Posted by ResidentSeagull View Post
    You seriously underestimate the human potential for wanting to fuck stuff, my dude.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan
    Welcome to BL, new user. Don't forget to fate/stay mad

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six OnesFleetingGlory's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Do you prefer architect or gardener? IMO, architects can keep track of plot points and pivotal elements that make their world function, but the scope is limited to what they had planned from the beginning, without flexible ways to branch out without violating its pre-established premise, so it's top-down. Gardener can have many ways to expand their world due to its flexible nature of allowing additional elements into the story without them feeling contradictory much, since they weren't established at the time. But writers can switch to each mode once a story is done IMO.

Nasu also has the advantages of drawing inspirations from his older works and integrating them, plus he could also draw from IRL history and legends to supplement his world via Fate side.

That's what it is IMO.

It's complex in a somewhat unique way because it's actually a TTRPG Nasu created for his buddies to play in. He writes stories set in it as a side hobby.
    Last edited by Clown; February 18th, 2024 at 01:48 AM.

A better question is how does he world build so much and throw it away..LB 7 and LB 6 has amazing world building then you realise it doesn't exist. Only some tidbits in it applies.
    I think there's still more to build in the world anyway..i mean he barely touched African continent, nothing on SEA countries, mage side of Indian sub continent and native magecraft of Australia maybe?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Megari View Post
    What drives him to make such a complex world?
    I suppose he finds it fun.
    IYKYK

Blog Entries
    He actually doesn't worldbuild that much
    かん
    ぎゅう
    じゅう
    とう

Expresses the exceeding size of one's library.
    Books are extremely many, loaded on an oxcart the ox will sweat.
    At home piled to the ridgepole of the house, from this meaning.
    Read out as 「Ushi ni ase shi, munagi ni mitsu.」
    Source: 柳宗元「其為書,處則充棟宇,出則汗牛馬。」— Tang Dynasty

Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    gonna have to disagree with all of the rules of his magic system.

Blog Entries
    How consistent are these rules, though?
    Call me 想φαγω.
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooncake View Post
    I get this vague feeling from your posts that you're looking down on people who don't share your view, which is what it is, but at least take a moment to snort some common sense between those hits of pretension.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
    My opinion is better than your opinion, so it isn't up for debate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun
    Telling us that you're rich is not going to make anyone stop laughing at you for believing in self-insert NTR.
    Quote Originally Posted by ResidentSeagull View Post
    You seriously underestimate the human potential for wanting to fuck stuff, my dude.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan
    Welcome to BL, new user. Don't forget to fate/stay mad

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    Quote Originally Posted by Ideofago View Post
    How consistent are these rules, though?
    Honestly haven't they been relatively consistent for a long while, and generally exceptions to those rules are still exceptional and often have specific limitations themselves?

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The real worldbuilding was the Servants we made along the way.
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Kirishima's Avatar
    His world is flavor for his characters though. I don't think he ever does pure worldbuilding, he only builds as much setting and world as he needs for his character focused stories to function.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Nasu also doesn't favor what is the traditional bread and butter of worldbuilding (that of overly detailed fictional historiography) but rather prefers to write about functions and rules of the world itself. If you take a look at the traditional example of obsessive worldbuilding (Tolkien, who many authors since have sought to emulate), you'll find that most of it concerns things like events and people. Nasu, however, seems to not favor this at all, and actively resists establishing any continuity whatsoever, to the point that the Fate series basically has no main continuity at all.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Nasu’s brand of worldbuilding involves:
    1) Doing the bare minimum for the stories he’s planning to tell. Rules are established mostly for the sake of writing about exceptions. To make the point that the events happening in each specific title are not commonplace within this world, they are truly unique circumstances worth telling. Unelaborated flavor text exists, but everything that has over two sentences talking about it is put there with its payoff either showing in the same title or in an already conceived title. Takashi mentioned Nasu’s Lostbelts but instead of history, Mictlan has a reason why it doesn’t have any history, and Avalon le Fae’s disclosed history never covers any history not relevant to its characters’ background. It’s everyone’s extended backstories organized into a chronological chart. Even for the most untouched part of the franchise, the Dead Apostle Ancestors, the information in their mini-profiles are centrally about their role in Tsukihime 2. In short, never making worldbuilding in the priority in the plotting process.
    2) Ensuring past works won’t limit the possibilities of what future works can be. Any potential contradiction is resolved by isolating timelines with different circumstances. Anything that would not cause a contradiction but would cause a weird reinterpretation is an allowed to pass. Future plans can be changed to conform with what’s coming out now. Spin-off writers get one solid “no” for every 100 only “are you sure?”. In short, never making worldbuilding the priority in decision making.
    Some pantheons are depicted as Tamamo, while others are only potentially Tamamo.

Having extensive and magic system doesn't mean that the world building is complex. Magic system is just a part of the presented world.
    Usually he builds the world through characters and what is relevant to them rather than other way around. (I think)
    Rin ballin battin

Actually, he does. I get the feeling that the Nasuverse is actually very deeply constructed qnd is probably on par with Tolkein. The bottom-up feeling I think, comes from the fact that it's more heavily implied rather than explicit in his works. Most fantasy authors will set up diagrams and charts and exposition that outlines the fundamentals of the world and its systems. Nasu on the other hand, won't do that. The basic fundamentals are discussed and special cases are introduced but due to the nature of the storytelling, you don't really learn that much else. Which makes sense in a lot of ways because the world literally runs on mystery.

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Writers these days can get away with a lot by saying very little and letting people on the internet fill in the blanks, it's true. Psychic iceberg theory.
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six OnesFleetingGlory's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    It's a really slick way of doing interconnected stories. Instead of having the authors narrate the way the world works, they introduce the world from the PoV of a seemingly ordinary person, going about their mundane, daily life, but then they slowly learn that the world isn't as they thought it was. It helps keeping the 'openness' that let the plot develop more freely since they know basically nothing to begin with, and then other characters start to fill in the blanks through their perspectives, but their information is not entirely absolute either due to the individual biases. So not providing author narration is really clever as to avoid the world from too rigid.