Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Revolution #9

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    She had never walked these broken streets before, here on the other side of the continent, but the ache they drew from her heart reminded her of home. The dignified faces of Imperial buildings lay shattered and fallen on the pavement, cars by the roadside crushed or aflame. A flag tumbled by her feet, a rough circle torn from its centre like a still-beating heart. There were no silent, contemplative spaces left in this old and bloodied city, and the air carried a constant reek of gunpowder-smoke and burning rubber.

It brought Jacqueline back to her childhood, coming back to Antwerp from a relative’s country home after the war - coming back to a city of streets with bomb craters in place of potholes, of churches and museums and houses of art streaked black like old fireplaces, of homes where every brick had its own bullet hole. This was before she got her eyes, she remembered; in 1945 she was still an ordinary girl. When she asked why their neighbour Mr. Leiberg and his family hadn’t come back home yet her mother shushed her; Jacqueline frowned and sensed something wasn’t right, but vented a frustration she couldn’t put to words by kicking a dusty, cracked milk bottle into the middle of the road.

Here in Budapest the scattered young men holding their fathers’ rifles, peering around street corners and listening for the low rumble of tanks gave life and colour to what she could only have imagined her home to have looked like during the war.

“Wait, Cas!” She realised she was falling behind, and she caught his offered hand. He, too, had been too young to have bled for his country - so instead he stood and fought for his friends and a brighter future in a foreign country. Amidst the smoke and rubble and shouting, Jacqueline couldn’t help but admire the handsome figure he cut in a makeshift uniform with a rifle’s stock pulled up under his arm. It felt romantic: her and him and her sister, against the world. She was the youngest of the three and hadn’t yet imbibed the heady, revolutionary air of leftist student clubs, but they were her role models. It was early days yet, but already her mind was drawing pictures of her brave sister Corinne, leader of the vanguard of justice and equality in Belgium, tearing down the country’s age-old divisions to build something new and beautiful.

Casimir gripped her hand more tightly and kissed her lips. “Jacqueline, just a moment here - Corinne is up ahead waiting for us. I’ll rendezvous with her and clear the park of any Russians, then we will be back for you, yeah? Stay here and hide.”

He pointed up and in front of them, at a grand ferris wheel that towered over even the most magnificent and tall buildings of the city square. “In a week’s time, we’ll all ride that together, I promise you.” He caressed her cheek as her brows knitted in frustration. “And we’ll sail up the river together and bring Vienna the good news, too.”

For all the helplessness she felt in her heart, his smile melted it all away. Casimir had such a soft and gentle voice, not at all that of a fighter, and it had never failed to set her at ease. When he looked back to his comrades-in-arms who were gesturing for him to come along, Jacqueline stole off his glasses and turned him to stare into her eyes.

“You promise me?”

His smile said everything she wanted to hear, and he settled it with a nod.

Taking his dusty face in her hands she pressed her lips to hers for a moment that hung in the air like the final note of a sombre melody. She returned his glasses, and with a few others who stayed back watched him and a squad of student-soldiers like him march off into the park.

The next time she saw him he was sprawled on the ground in his own blood, two holes in his heart. His face was composed, still retaining that tender and reassuring expression she’d seen so many times. Her heart emptied itself out onto the pavement as the future she envisioned vanished before her eyes, and it took all her strength to force a despondent cry back into her throat.

Corinne was nowhere to be found, never anywhere to be found again. Jacqueline walked the banks of the cold, brown Danube and watched as bodies floated along in the current face-down, wondering if her lost sister shared their fate. For all Corinne’s hopes and ideals, the very same that had drawn Jacqueline to Casimir, they could not overcome the brutality of tyranny. The revolutionary spirit could never be broken, but its body was only so strong.

Oh well, she began to think. It was inevitable that this would happen, given the insurmountable odds that faced them. It was in the past now, and there was no sense dwelling in the past. It was them who were at fault, not her - she was no idealist at heart, and that had saved her.

A hulking metal tank crawled around the corner of a street, its long cannon a hideous eye that stared Jacqueline down; her body twisted away by instinct, drawing her unconscious mind with it down an alley as the sounds faded away and drowned into nothing, and the smell of smoke went with it as though she’d fallen into the dark immersion of a great abyssal sea.

She awoke in darkness, but it was no longer the darkness of a dream.

Before her was a long, stone table surrounded by chairs, at which sat a dozen lords in rich dress and adorned with jewelry of gold, their heads shrouded in their robes. The only light came from dim blue candles hung from the walls and set on the tables, illuminating a great feast. Yet, to her eyes none of the food on the table seemed to have a definite shape, twisting one moment to look like meat, another like long, narrow fruits, shifting each time she blinked. The cups, too, spilled over with some dark liquid which never touched the stone table or even the fingers of the lords who grasped their goblets and in silence drank their endless fill into blank voids of faces.

Before her was the only empty seat, a low bench with rows of grooves carved across its length; the empty faces turned to her and she sensed from them all mocking, sneering smiles, begging her to take a seat and join them. Was she one of them? Or more likely, she figured, a guest - and an unwanted one.

Something in her heart recoiled even as her leg neared the bench, and she looked back up at the seated lords. In her hand now was a spear, ivory for its haft and with a grim black point; her arm moved unbidden as though commanded by the weapon, her mind simply watching through the windows of her eyes as the spear’s blade swept across the table and brought cups and plates and candles clattering across the bench. She could hear a hiss and smelled the sizzling of raw meat, and the dark liquid oozed over the bench and boiled as soon as it touched the stone. Laughter erupted from the twelve figures with a cacophonic echo resounding from wall to wall to wall of the subterranean hall; in unison they bowed their heads.

She could see now they were far from human: their robes fell away from their faces and she could see them for what they were, with bestial heads and the bodies of men. One bore the visage of a deer, antlers twisted like braids; another had the regal head of a cat, and another was a solemn eagle with yellow, unblinking eyes that remained steadfast in their stare. She could now feel the weight of their gazes on her, but something at once within and without burned away any feeling of fear that lingered in her heart.

The closest lord, the one with the head of a cat, reached out his arm as in greeting, and she found herself walking toward him, seeing sharp white teeth emerging from hungry smiles all down the table the closer she got.

Again without her will her body moved, and it struck in but a moment: the spear’s edge severed the proffered arm which fell to the ground with a sound like the earthy thunder of a landslide, and in the very next moment her spear had been driven through the cat-lord’s back, the point digging into the table like a black talon. Out of the wound where his arm had been poured a sickening cloud of maggots onto her legs and her feet, but with a gesture she burned them away into ash. A hideous smell reached into her nose like rancid tendrils but for all she tried she could not bring her body to retch and instead she could only be a spectator in her own body as her hands reached out to the cat-lord, tore out a strip of flesh from his back like with a predator’s claws, and dangled it down into her waiting, grinning mouth.

The laughter ceased, and the twelve smiles fell away.

The cat-lord’s body went limp and his face melted into the stone table, his body revealed to be nothing more than a crude puppet, some failed imitation of life that could only resemble death. The candle flames wicked away as though a gust had run through the barren room, and just like that the seats were all empty and a deep, icy chill vanished from the abyssal dining hall.

At once the sun returned to Jacqueline’s eyes, and she reached out with her own, warm hands to feel the air on her skin. The sun was low and orange in the western sky, and Jacqueline let out a long sigh.

“Are you alright now?” It was Clemence again, with some real concern in their voice. “Your face went blank and you sort of just stared out at nothing right after I called your name earlier.”

Jacqueline shook her head. “Earlier? You mean…”

Clemence seemed to shrug as though equally confused. “It was around noon, I think. You left another Master’s territory and I could sense you again, and I spoke to you. It was around then that you seemed to go into some kind of trance and just… walked. No matter what I said you kept going, around and around down different streets, down one and back up another. It was like you were walking in another city entirely.”

With a rub of her temple, Jacqueline tried to make sense of their words. “Something happened last night… then I woke up in the mansion of that Master you mentioned. She was kind… I think.”

“Did you get a name?”

“Yes, she…” Jacqueline began, but like a dream upon waking the girl’s name had vanished from her memory. “She was… I remember red hair, and she had red hair, and…”

Clemence seemed to frown in disapproval. “She had red hair, huh. Wow.”

Scoffing, Jacqueline turned the complaint back on her mental passenger. “Where exactly were you after last night? When I was recuperating I felt something in my heart like a scar, but no voice in my head.”

There was a long and telling pause before Clemence said anything.

“No answer?”

“I don’t remember either!” they blurted out, snarling. “I think I was dreaming, though, or at least it felt like it. I haven’t dreamed in a long time, you know.”

“A dream? Can you sleep?” Jacqueline stopped mid-stride, and rested against a lamppost. Had Clemence been sleeping after last night, recovering in their own way? It seemed strange: a disembodied voice couldn’t possibly tire from overexertion, so did they even have a need for the stillness of rest and the unconscious images it brings? Or perhaps Clemence was far more ‘alive’ than Jacqueline consciously could understand.

They sighed as though Jacqueline was suggesting the obvious. “In my dream I saw a city - somewhere in Europe - and a war: guns, smoke, machines, the dead. Everything was varying shades of brown or grey, like a kind of film.”

Jacqueline hesitated, images of the horrific feast returning before her eyes, and for a moment she considered trying to explain her own dream to Clemence - but another thought took its place.

“I know what you saw,” she said, through teeth almost gritted from her bodily fear of dredging up a past not worth recalling. No one could change what had already happened. Thinking about it was useless, as all it accomplished was bring a too-familiar ache to her chest.

Clemence hummed in realisation. “Ahh, I understand: those were your memories.” She searched for words to express a feeling she hadn’t had in a long time. :I’m… sorry.”

“Don’t be, Clemence. It shouldn’t matter to anyone anymore.” Her shoulders were low as she leaned against the lamppost, and her fingers traced idly through the air. If she moved her hand just so… ever so faintly… she could conjure the feeling on her fingertips of Casimir’s rough stubble that one final day in Budapest.

She shook her head. “You can’t repeat the past, after all.”

“What do you mean?” Clemence’s voice raised to a defiant pitch. “Of course you can!”

The confidence infused in those words caught Jacqueline off-guard, and her heart raced from the implications of such a simple repudiation of reality. Then she settled down and took in a deep breath, expecting another of Clemence’s acidic remarks to chastise Jacqueline for being so foolish and to keep her head in reality.

“Why do you think I’m here?” The voice seemed to be almost pleading, now. “Why - that’s the reason everyone’s here: to change the past! I’ve seen it happen, right here, with my own eyes. Nothing is beyond saving, and no one either - not a single person here. They all have their chance.”

Jacqueline wanted - her heart cried out for it - to say, ‘even me?’ But she bit her lip and kept up her aloof stoicism, dismissing the idea off-hand. The implications that very idea held were far too much to ponder even given a whole night’s walking, and eventually she would need to sleep and once again the dreams would come and they would not be as kind. With those eyes of hers, every dream was a prison of the soul.

But Clemence was more clever than that, and Jacqueline’s soul had already begun to show its cracks and openings to them.

“Even you, Jacqueline,” they assured, with a smile playing on their invisible lips. “First, I need to find my body. Then, and only then, can I show you a miracle.”

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

What most piqued Cleopatra’s insatiable curiosity was how confident James seemed as he led her around the city, like there was some pride within him that showed itself only around others. It made her wonder what quiet uncertainties lay in his heart, as were in the heart of every man. He had tried to hide his tears in the museum, but the wetness of his eyes was an easy tell. She’d seen it all before.

So she indulged his confidence, going along with him on whatever whim of the hour struck him. After the museum the library had closed, and with only the slightest disappointment in his sigh he’d said, “There’s always tomorrow, right?”

And they went back home to his apartment, where he mixed ice and water in a combination that, with a quizzical expression on James’ face, singularly delighted Cleopatra. She told him that if he had come up with such a concoction in her day, she would have granted him a place of honour in the royal court of Egypt. He replied with a scoff, telling her that was exactly as arbitrary as he expected a monarch to be, a response that only made her laugh - driving him, in turn, to further frustration. She smiled, not expressing her surprise at how much he reminded him of another man she’d known, long ago, who was just the same when they met under the Egyptian sun.

By the time evening approached they were in his car - much to Cleopatra’s discomfort, but James insisted - and it was his idea this time. He’d told her about a theatre, which elicited as much interest from her as it did confusion.

“I’m still shocked that when you Servants get summoned to the modern day, you don’t even get basic knowledge about what the world’s like. You don’t know movies, really?”

Cleopatra shook her head. “How important are ‘movies’ to spirits summoned for war? We are granted an understanding of the local language and that of our Master, as well as superficial details about the region’s geography and such. If a heroic spirit had previously been summoned as a Servant into this era they would recall the knowledge they gained then, but these sorts of things happen quite rarely. The last time I was summoned in any capacity resembling this one was about a thousand years ago, by some alchemist who had found one of my temples and deciphered the ritual hieroglyphics on its walls.”

James was focusing on the road, driving past Dumbarton Oaks toward Uptown, well out of the way of the war even as night was approaching. Still, he had to give her a sideways glance at that last sentence and the boundless implications that arose from it.

“You’re saying you were summoned before?”

She nodded. “He was an Arab scholar who recognised me as a fellow intellectual. Luckily for him my temple was intact enough to act as a conduit for summoning me and binding my spirit, though it did not last long. Al-Nadim was the name he gave me, I think, and we talked for a while as he treated me to a small meal of some hummus, eggplant, and lamb he cooked in a small clay pot in front of me. It was short, but memorable. He told me a bit about their culture: their love of books, and a singular god, and the artistry of their poems and their respect for ancient learning. He was charming and kind enough, though I was much displeased to learn I had no way of leaving the temple and seeing the state of Egypt a millennium after my time.”

“Well, I hope I make for half as interesting conversation, then.” He shrugged and rounded a corner; the Washington National Cathedral in all its Gothic grandeur was on their left, and he drew her attention to it with a gesture.

“Ah..” Cleopatra stared out the window, her eyes flicking up and down to take in all the details of the huge, ornate structure before it passed from view. “Don’t worry about that. You at least do not keep me cooped up in a bare stone room and take me to see… ‘movies,’ which I look forward to judging with my own eyes.”

James let out a small laugh. “Speaking of: we’re here. Uptown Theater, D.C. It’s a pretty ritzy place, but luckily the parking spots aren’t all taken.”

He glided the car into an open space and let the rumbling of its engine roll to a stop. Cleopatra looked over to James - who had the decency before they’d left his apartment to wear a tie and a nice silk shirt for the occasion - and waited for him to get out and open the door for her.

Taking his hand in hers, she walked by his side to the theatre’s box office; a host of other cars had been parked all around, and streams of couples young and old made their way in the same direction. Many eyes were on them - or perhaps just her - as they passed, regarding Cleopatra with an almost supernaturally rapt attention. James just sighed even as he raised his shoulders up and back under the weight of so many all-too-curious gazes. A few of those in the crowd might have recognised him, but no one dared come too close to Cleopatra, as though all those around understood her for what she was. It made her smile, feeling once again as she had in life when the sheer charisma of her presence and authority could stop even the most dedicated of processions still as statues.

“I just hope no one here’s a Master too,” he whispered into her ear, and a small laugh passed her lips at his concern only now after having come so far.

They took their place in line at the box office, but that respite of stillness did not last long: “No, you go ahead,” insisted a man ahead of them with his date, and the rest of the line followed suit, drawing back from the couple of James and Cleopatra like a wave receding from the shoreline. James brought a hand to his face, groaning, but there was nothing to be done. Cleopatra soaked up the attention without a care.

“Excuse me, sir,” he said to the attendant at the box office, tapping lightly on the glass to get his attention. “Two tickets for the next showing of Cleopatra, please.”

The attendant looked to him and apologised at once for his distraction, which James waved away with a smile and a “don’t worry about it.” James slipped a couple dollar bills past the glass and took the tickets in exchange, telling the attendant to keep the change.

Cleopatra’s eyes had lit up at the name of the movie. “Oh, you are sneaky, aren’t you, James?” She grinned and pinched his side, realising just what he’d ensnared her into.

He gave her a coy half-smile, and she could tell he was more relaxed now that they’d distanced themselves from the gawking crowd. The confidence in his stride was honest again and not a performance for the attentive public, and he let himself lean into Cleopatra just a bit more. She was a little shorter than him even in her steep heels, but no one would think of it given the commanding air she had everywhere she went. Yet, there was a certain uneasiness in him that she could sense as they walked together, as though when he was by her side he felt somehow self-consciously out of place.

They took their seats in a middle-back row of the theatre, James having turned down the seller at the concession stand.

“Not hungry?” Cleopatra asked, suddenly feeling the distance between now and lunch.

“I don’t want to ruin my appetite for tonight,” he said to her in a low voice, and she left it at that. If the movie was anything to judge by, his surprises were fun, and she had no desire to ruin it. She settled back in her seat, appreciating the comfort of the fabric much more than the awkward, hot leather of the car or the stone benches of a Greek theatron. The smell of cigarette smoke was acrid and filled the whole room, but she shut it out like she had the reek of gasoline amidst the cars outside. At least in Alexandria there was incense burning at every street corner and the aroma of spiced food wafting from every window to overpower the earthy stench of the urban world.

The lights dimmed, the screen lit up, and scattered conversations died down to mere whispers.

Cleopatra’s whole attention was on the movie, such that she didn’t notice as James spent as much time watching it as he was studying her face. Multifarious expressions of curiosity, awe, and fascination danced in her eyes and on her lips as she drank in every sumptuous visual and every crisply spoken word. If nothing else, James knew, she would remember at least this the next time she was summoned, even if she didn’t remember him. A low melancholy fell over him and he didn’t pay much attention to the movie, laying back in his chair with a pensive look on his face, his eyes unfocused and his mind elsewhere.

The credits rolled and the theatre filled again with light, and James took Cleopatra by the hand as they gingerly got out of their seats, the concept of standing feeling strangely foreign to them after three hours of neglecting it.

“Did you like it?” he asked as soon as they were out of the theatre, away from the din of the bustling crowd.

She squeezed his hand, then let go. “It was fascinating: a tapestry of movement and colour, all on a space no larger than a temple wall. It reminds me of the dancing automata the inventors of my time crafted, but on a far grander scale and much more fully realised.”

James scratched his head. “It was about you, though; what did you think of that?”

Cleopatra gave him an enigmatic smile. “The woman representing me had a difficult task, attempting to embody the soul and vigor of someone she had never met nor seen. She captured my beauty well, but the narrative seemed to deploy my character as a sort of olive wreath for the contest of towering men. I find that interesting: even today, two thousand years removed, you understand Egypt not through my eyes, but through those of her Roman conquerors.”

“At least we appreciate your obelisks,” he offered, struggling to come up with a response that he felt could meet her intellectual standards. He just enjoyed the movie: it was long but luxurious and dramatic, and presented a world he could never experience in his own life. To him, that was the true beauty of the modern American movie, from Ben-Hur to The Wizard of Oz.

“Mm… I take it you liked the movie, James, and wish I felt the same as you,” Cleopatra said to him as he led the way down the street to their next destination.

He shook his head. “It’s not that, but - anyway, we can talk more about this in a little bit. I wanted to take you out to dinner as thanks for today, and there’s a nice Hungarian restaurant right around the corner from here. I doubt you’ve ever had goulash, but on a cold summer night there’s nothing else like it.”

Cleopatra smiled and gave her assent, letting her thoughts idle in her mind as she started to wonder just what it was that made him so uneasy around her. It was something more than her intelligence and beauty, she suspected, but she respected his wishes and followed him towards the restaurant.

They had entered the theatre with the sun high in the sky, but by the time the movie was over the sun had set and a pale twilight fell over the city. Now was the time not of comfortable outings but of violence, and behind her Master’s back the Servant Cleopatra remained vigilant.

She brushed her arm against his, and felt goosebumps on his skin. His posture was stiff and agitated, his own senses understanding that even this early in the night something was amiss.

“James… are you feeling what I think you are?” Lines of light like golden veins flickered into existence up the length of her arms, both of her palms grasping glimmering orbs that pulsed with a magical energy that put James’ own magecraft to shame.

He nodded, and slid up against the brick of a building by the corner of the street. A four-way intersection lay in front of them, a wide-open space far from ideal for remaining undetected by hostile Masters or their Servants. Rows of young trees broke line of sight in all directions ahead, but for a magi’s keen sense of the transmundane they were hardly an obstacle.

“There’s a magus ahead up the road, moving in our direction. It feels like his magical energy is divided, split off, probably a familiar.”

Cleopatra’s assessment matched his, and with a gesture from her mystically-infused hands a vast and quiet surge of energy arose in the form of gilded spheres up to the heavens, glittering like stars and indistinguishable from true celestial lights far above. James looked upwards, admiring the artificial skyscape but with a frown.

She clasped her hands together. “I am the living Isis, remember? These are the Tears of Isis, shed for the death of Osiris and the magnificent cosmic equal of the Nile; and these stars, like tears, are destined to fall. You Americans inherited much from the Romans, so you would probably recognise their name for it: the constellation Virgo.”

Now James watched the shimmering of those heavenly shapes with a bit more wonder, but it was short lived: the other Master drew ever closer.

“The Nile flood…” he murmured, but explained no more, his eyes locked on the street ahead. They could see two figures now, one tall and broad and the other - the Master - very slight.

“We should first try to parley - but be on your guard, James.”

James put his hand on her shoulder, stopping her from stepping forward into the illumination of a streetlamp like a spotlight upon her. “Parley? Aren’t they our enemies? Naturally, since this is a war and that’s a Master.”

A smile, and a shake of her head. “Not yet. Remember: there are no such things as ‘natural’ enemies or allies. Everything is dictated by circumstance. Should talks turn sour… then I can spring my trap, and we may just be the first Servant and Master to eliminate a rival.”

It seemed, as ever, like Cleopatra had the upper hand in everything, a contingent plan for all situations - so James went along with her ploy, the pale lines that ran like cracks in Arctic ice down his right arm converging on a single point in his palm, then fading. At the end of the day, she was his Servant: they had to trust one another, and he knew that she was as invested in his success as he was. And, between the two of them, she had far more experience in diplomacy and scheming than he could hope or even want to have.

“We’re not here to fight!” announced James, stepping under the lamplight, arms open.

The Master opposite him stopped, some twenty metres away. The urban landscape was flooded with light, and James could easily make out this Master’s appearance, and that of the Servant as well. She looked no taller than five feet even, and waves of red hair cascaded down just past her shoulders, making a bright contrast to her lily-white dress. Her eyes had a stern severeness to them, and as she opened her mouth to respond she hardly looked amused.

“Then what are you here to do? It’s far too late for tea, and there’s no sense in trying to disguise your Servant the way you are.”

That confirmed one thing to James: her English was unremarkably accented, and he deduced she was either a long-established emigre representing some foreign power - unlikely, given her youth - or a Canadian. That softened his heart despite her cutting words and the suspicion she obviously harboured. Her thin lips were drawn tight, and a fluttering bird hovered in loose circles a few feet above her head. Then there was her Servant: imposing in height and dark in complexion, with exotic clothes the likes of which James had never seen before, not even in books about old cultures. He had the distantly regal air of a king about him, and clutched in his right hand was a spear as tall as himself with a razor-sharp point black as obsidian.

James sighed, and Cleopatra could tell he wasn’t the type for cunning conversationalism.

“Look, we just got out of seeing a movie,” he admitted. “We were about to head to a restaurant I know around here, but then we could tell a magus and Servant were heading our way, so now we’re just standing here all high-strung instead.”

The Master frowned in open disgust. “You expect me to believe that you just so happened to be wandering in this neighbourhood at this hour, and were completely surprised to find an enemy?”

“Not an enemy yet, but yeah.” He hitched his thumb over his shoulder. “The Uptown Theater’s down that way, if you really don’t believe me. The name’s James, by the way. I’m here representing the USA.”

It was seemingly the other Master’s natural reaction to respond with a curtsy. “Very well - courtesy given is courtesy owed, as my mother says. My name is Eleanor Rosemary Richardson, of Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. I have not fallen for your story, but I find your innocent intent plausible enough.” Then she looked down, as though distracted. “...what was the name of that restaurant you mentioned?”

Cleopatra stood on the sidelines, enjoying James’ unintentionally brilliant diplomacy. He didn’t try to play at a craftiness that didn’t suit him as it did her: his strength was in his plain talking and his good nature. In that way, by being straightforwardly honest, anyone would be taken aback - certainly magi, with their typically conniving character.

Her attention had faded for a moment from the increasingly lively conversation; she noticed the girl’s Servant was as silent and watchful as she was.

“...yeah, it’s a great place! My dad knows the owner, in fact he helped him get a visa to come to America after the revolution in ‘56.”

It now almost looked like that serious Eleanor wore a smile, though clearly unbidden. “Really? That’s very honourable of him. Say, were you actually watching a movie tonight, despite… well, despite the war?”

James shrugged. “It doesn’t feel much like a war to me, I’ve got to say. My dad served in Italy back in World War Two, and it’s nothing like his stories. Doesn’t feel real yet, if you know what I mean. So far I’ve just been showing my Servant around the city, telling her about American culture. Have you got the same movies up there in Canada? Ones with Elizabeth Taylor, and Richard Burton?”

Eleanor closed her eyes and covered her mouth, perhaps stifling a laugh. “Yes - Cleopatra, right? Hmm… to tell you the truth, my parents rarely let me see films, but it sounds like you enjoyed it. Maybe I…”

She trailed off, then shook her head. “Oh, forget about it. Anyway, you’ve proven to me that you have no ill intent. I appreciate that. I would not be so bold as to propose an alliance, but… I think we both would benefit from working together, at least for a while. Right?”

“Yeah!” James stepped forward with a beaming smile; far above, a line of foreign stars twinkled their last and vanished from a vast, twilight-blue sky.

The four of them spent the rest of the night on patrol through Washington, but throughout their long walk their animated back-and-forth conversations went uninterrupted by conflict or the presence of other magi, as far as they could tell. Cleopatra kept a careful eye behind them at all times, but even her discerning gaze could not sense the dark-haired woman who followed them at a distance, occasionally stopping in the shadows to speak with someone who was not there.

I think this was the longest chapter yet! Sorry about that. However, I really enjoyed writing it and I think the long, extended sequences are important: this is more of a character development/backstory chapter than a plot-advancing one - though I'm sure at least a few people will be pleased at a certain plot advancing! I ended up taking this in a different direction than originally planned: the outline had James and Cleopatra successfully getting to the restaurant and continuing their chat, which while it would've been interesting, felt a bit too drawn out after the movie scene. Still, I hope their interactions came off well here. I don't know how obvious it was, but as opposed to the last chapter with those two, this one was from Cleopatra's perspective. Even in a scene with multiple characters I inevitably write from within the "mind" of one of them despite the third person style, but this was the first time it was really intentional.

Now, this update is a bit special, because... it's December! I always like to do fun and special things for Christmas, and the first present comes early: for this chapter's choice, you can vote for any two selections off the map. It's not ranked-choice; both will end up featuring in the next chapter, which might end up being split in two depending on size. Whichever two have the most total votes win out. As a clarification, on the map the exclamation mark beside Finley's Gym is basically a placeholder: I confess I haven't made a Rodrigo chibi yet. He's the star of that locale though, if you want to see more of him. As for the second thing, it'll be after the map spoiler.

Map: August 22, 1963, Daytime

The second present is this: each of you can ask up to two questions about anything relating to the story in any way, and on Christmas Day I'll provide an absolute answer. Your questions can be about future events or what previous choices would have led to, or just about anything else you can think of. Since this is a meta-narrative tale, your questions also might affect the story in some way...

You can change your answers at any time, too, in case upcoming chapters make you curious about something else. This university term is almost over for me, so I expect to churn out at least one chapter before Christmas, probably two. I look forward to seeing what people are most interested in finding answers to!
    Last edited by Five_X; December 24th, 2021 at 07:04 PM.
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle
    Oh James, how could you invite Cleopatra to Cleopatra and fail to actually discuss the film properly with her? He's not unintelligent or poorly read, just anime-protagonist dense at times.

Always love when Eleanor makes an appearance, albeit a brief one.

It surprised me that Clemence did not recognize Hungary in Jacqueline's dream. Based on Clemence's name I had a theory that she was Austrian or related to a past ruler of Hungary. I know from a previous chapter that her name is a literary reference...ugh, I just keep on drawing a blank.

Blog Entries
    James is just a very straightforward guy despite not being very good at expressing himself, the poor fellow. He and Cleopatra will have a deep and serious conversation about the movie over some delicious burgers, I promise! Unless he gets too distracted by this new girl...

Don't forget, you've got two questions to ask of this author, and two votes to cast!
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

It would be a shame to leave Rodrigo waiting after his badass introduction, so I vote for Finley's Gym. And I'm also curious about L'Ambassade, my second vote.

As for questions, while Jacqueline and Clemence raise many, getting an answer to them so early would be self-defeating. And details like Cleopatra's battle attire and NP will be revealed in due course I'm sure.

So I ask this: Please name a couple of MPII characters that definitely are not making an appearance in Revolution #9, and briefly touch on why they aren't the right fit for this story. (Filippo, due to his uselessness, may be excluded from your answer).

Blog Entries
    This Filippo slander!!

Blog Entries
    Only one vote, democracy has failed

I'm still crunching to get term papers done, so the next chapter will probably be itself also a Christmas delivery. We'll see if it ends up as long as this last one; I hope that the relative lack of comments this time isn't because the chapter is a slog to get through.

Blog Entries
    August 22nd, 1963.

Ilse’s day had started well, and then the song returned. It echoed in her mind, a sharp whistled melody fading in and out as though its source was within and without her all at once. It started the same as it did the first time, yesterday morning: with a cacophony of noise like clattering plates and scratching metal, indistinct voices that, like an image in a camera coming into focus, slowly filtered away until the whistling was all that was left. It was like a chronic pain, a headache that nothing could resolve, and she’d learned early on that plugging her ears was useless. There was no telling how long it would last; the first time she heard it was upon waking and it vanished after a few minutes, but last night it returned in force and played back on loop for hours like a broken record forever out of reach.

“Fuck,” she muttered under her breath, and slammed a fist against the wooden bench she was sitting on. She had plans for the day, but the song was debilitating. It was like acid, dissolving all other thoughts completely.

Fearing her little outburst might’ve been slightly too loud, she glanced left and right to the adjoining rooms: no one. A lazy day for French diplomats, so it seemed, and she was the only person in the embassy’s sumptuous salon.

The whistle ascended to a crescendo and Ilse winced in pain, soon closing her eyes completely. It was a futile effort to staunch an invisible wound. Then, the whistling became words.

“You’ve done it - why can’t someone else?” rang out a vague voice, singing along to an unknowable melody. After that, there was nothing.

Images without sound assailed Ilse in the confines of her mind like unbidden waking dreams; she saw them from her own eyes, flashing like film slides stitched together bereft of context.

The first scene was of a tall figure with a dark and heavy boot, pressed to her neck: accompanying it was an unconscious sensation of cold and breathlessness - of suffocation - that she was helpless to overcome. Fading into darkness, the second followed immediately after, and she could see her hands reaching up toward a light, flowing as through water, and the light drifted ever farther and farther away until it winked out like a candle at the end of its wick.

The third and final set of images were more distinct: her perspective showed her looking down at her chest, pierced through by a pure-white spear, and the sensation of metallic spines like tendrils slithering and raking and clawing their way through her heart and her lungs. Pitch blackness spread out from the wound and swallowed her whole, and a canopy of lights like stars on a cloudless night passed her by the millions in a seemingly endless passage through a narrow cave. At its very end in place of a light was a face, indistinct, draped with long hair as white as bone, and symbols drawn upon its flesh like the carvings of an ancient temple.

And then, reality. Her eyes opened, and she was back in the French embassy. The checkerboard tile floor spun before her for a few moments, but she steadied herself. The song was gone. It hadn’t even left an echo.

She took in a deep breath, and reached for her bag on the bench beside her. The physical sensation grounded her again.

With deft fingers she unzipped the bag, feeling the wooden stock of a rifle buried deep within. The song and the visions nearly made her lose herself, but she remembered now her purpose. But for now, she had to escape somewhere else for a while. Her hand reached past her rifle to grasp another article of contraband, one more damning if she was found with it in her possession. She took it out of her bag and handled it gingerly as she opened it up and peered inside at its forbidden contents.

Wretched of the Earth, the incendiary decolonial treatise by Frantz Fanon, had been published a full two years prior but still burned hot in the French mind. Even to read it was a crime of thought, a kind of intellectual treason, though Ilse knew at least a quarter of the diplomatic staff at the embassy had been passing around their own disguised copy. For anyone to see her there - a German with a maghrébine complexion - was itself stranger than seeing those same hands flipping through Fanon’s book.

It was a book about culture, and about violence - but Ilse had only read the parts of it that dealt with the latter. It spoke to her of the catharsis of reciprocal violence, of wounds healed not with time but with retribution and terror. It was a book about the liberation of the soul.

There is an unspoken social contract in civilised society: that a human being, acting rationally, will not take the life of another. To break this contract is to taint one’s soul - to be defined not so much as a person but as a killer. One defence that arises, then, is that of irrationality: the killer is not fundamentally murderous, but in some way insane - substituting one social disease for another. In either case, that of the killer or the madman, a person has desecrated the basic sanctity of life and a barrier is shattered that can never be repaired; this figure becomes an un-person whose ethics are forever more suspect. Even after a punishment is meted out and they return to society, a killer retains that corruption on their human soul which no spiritual ablution can cleanse.

In Algeria during the war there was no such social contract. Ilse could remember farmers letting neighbours into their home who had collaborated with the French colonisers, then in the night butchering those traitors and leaving the remains out in the sun for gangs of wild boars. Frenchmen taken prisoner by nationalist insurgents had their heads severed and their genitals torn off and stuffed in their mouths, left at the roadside as a warning. In a society electrified by existential conflict, there was no moral boundary for those who had taken up the struggle. Ilse had expected this when she fought there; what she did not expect is that the French - torch-bearers of humane civilisation - were hardly different. French society was just as surprised.

Perhaps someone in the office of the embassy - in all likelihood a visiting American - would consider Ilse’s actions and behaviour as abuse of the hospitality the ambassador gave her; she would disagree, and as luck would have it she was lately in good company among the French diplomatic corps, whose relationship with their American counterparts had turned decisively icy over issues of NATO obligations and détente with the Soviets. So long as the Gaullists were in power, Ilse knew she would be in safe hands: between Paris and Algeria she had done far too much for them already to be thrown out so lightly.

Algeria, like the book by Fanon that came out of it, was similarly two years gone and just as fresh. Few memories reverberated in Ilse’s mind as strongly as the smell of salt and water on her cheeks as she boarded the plane that took her and a crowd of disgruntled French paratroops back home across the Mediterranean. She gave that war all of her precious youth, and all she got out of it was disillusionment and a debt.

It was a debt owed to her quietly by the French state, and for that reason she could come and go from the embassy as she pleased and even had her own temporary accommodations. To her credit, despite her reading material, she was no socialist herself: any material on the Algeria war she devoured, trying to see in it a reflection of her own experience. With Fanon, she did.

The role of representing France in this clandestine Grail War, however, went to a French national; she was here on behalf of West Germany, though even that was a decision made in political backrooms.

It didn’t matter to her very much: she saw an opportunity, and her actions were recommendation enough to the deciding authorities, authorities Ilse herself did not even know. All that mattered was an opportunity to serve her country for once on her own terms.

These fundamental conceits gave Ilse the freedom she so desired, and so for her it was more of a personal risk to pull Fanon out of her bag than one of the rifles she also carried in there. Most magi she knew were more experienced in cutthroat ploys of the aristocratic variety, not to mention politically and nationally aloof to an alarming degree; the West German government wanted a killer, and one who knew she was a German first and a magus second. Once again the state shared with her its monopoly on violence, for want of her inculcated inclination toward killing.

She put the book away and stood up, bag in hand. That was enough sitting in contemplation for her tastes - it was time to work.

The past day had been a blur to her like a drunken memory, but she found her instinct guiding her with a singular compulsion. There was something about the Mall in the centre of the city, some reason she had visited it one night before yet forgot all about what happened after, blacked out and came to in her bed as though nothing had happened. The whistling and the visions that afflicted her only arrived after that night. It felt to her distinctly as though that whole span of time had been suppressed. Her rational mind immediately suspected the work of some clever magus, yet she felt no magical interference in her body or her mind.

As she stepped out of the embassy she slipped a quill out of her sleeve, and with it drew the triangular shape of an Úr rune over her heart. A wave of energy flowed over her form, unnoticeable to the untrained eye; to the ordinary mass populace such magic made even the odd sight of a foreign woman in a flight suit carrying a bulky duffel bag seem hardly out of place. It was an ancient German inscription to pass by wary eyes - human or otherwise - unnoticed, an inheritance from her father. It was enough to catch even a magus unawares, if they did not know what they were looking for.

Ilse made her way purposefully to the Mall, a path she had walked before yet now the sights seemed new and unexpected to her, as though seen for the very first time. She furrowed her brow, walking faster, and was soon at her destination.

She shaded her eyes with her hand as she looked up, up, up to the Washington Monument as it rose up so high as to touch the sun with its pinnacle. A fragment of a dream recalled to Ilse in that moment a similar sight, but of the moon. Amidst unknowing crowds she strode toward the obelisk through the gardens and past the reflecting pool, until her thick-soled boots brushed through the dewy grass mere metres from its base.

Her feet felt like they stood atop clouds; every step was light and somehow predestined, as though this had all happened again already before yet had never come to pass. Dropping her duffel bag she knelt down in the grass and let her fingers intertwine with the fresh green blades, a euphoric feeling of vitality washing over her like she’d just been cured of an illness. The lightness still afflicted her body and she dared not even move lest she topple over and tumble from the cloud below her - and something still was wrong.

The wetness of the grass was not that of a summer morning, but of blood, blood masquerading as soft rain, blood that coated and covered a space in the greenery the size of a body. Her fingers tingled with sudden numbness, and she could not stop herself from laying down where she felt the cold blood on the grass as though reenacting the scene of a crime.

The blood poured over her back, soaking through her clothing. The feeling of pins and needles spread at last to her heart. Touching her hands, bereft of sensation, to her chest, all she could feel was a deep and gaping wound where her heart ought to be.

She bolted upright in a sweat. Taking in a deep breath she looked around: no one noticed her. People milled about in sparse morning crowds, about the usual for a pleasant August day. Nothing seemed to indicate there was anything out of the unusual here at all, except for the distinct memory she now had of her own death in this very spot the night before, a death that had been preceded somehow by many, many more. A creeping impression overcame her as she sat in the grass with the slickness of blood pouring down her back: she felt that her being alive here and now was somehow wrong - not morally, but factually. It made her wonder if this experience itself was real, or if like earlier she was again living in someone else’s memory projected onto herself, and that ‘Ilse’ truly had died. What, then, did that make her?

As fate would have it, she was given precious little time to ruminate on this. She already wasn’t the philosophical type in any deep sense, but her senses prickled as she looked up and over across the Mall from where she sat. She felt an undeniable presence in the direction of the Smithsonian Castle, a stout structure of red brick that looked to her, as most buildings in this city did, like a complete anachronism. In that way it was the perfect place for a magus to hide; a wry smile passed her lips for a moment as she found a sufficient distraction from her burgeoning existential crisis.

Hauling up her duffel bag, she patted herself dry and, with her sights on the castle, once more returned to Algeria.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Fabrice flicked his cigarette into the ashtray on his desk when he saw just who was walking into his office. “Thought you’d be gone longer after what you said last time, Rodrigo. Lost hope, eh?”

Rodrigo hung his jacket up on the door. “Not exactly, my friend. It just so happens that last night I crossed paths with an… old acquaintance. So far, he has had about as much luck as I in the search for Enrico. His advice was for me to keep a low profile and not draw too much attention to myself.”

“This acquaintance, he a boxer too?” Fabrice scoffed.

“No, he’s a bicyclist in fact. An Englishman.”

Behind a fresh puff of smoke Fabrice shook his head. “An Anglo cyclist - now there’s a joke. That’s too bad, though - I did some bare knuckle bouts with some rough-and-tumble Anglo boys when I was a kid back home in Cameroon. God made them tenacious, I’ll say that much.”

Fabrice cleared off some yellowed stacks of papers from his desk, shoving them onto the ground to join a heap of junk that had been growing there for God knows how long. Gesturing to Rodrigo he offered him a seat across from himself, and as was custom by now made the offer of a cigarette that was politely rejected. He coughed in a gruff sort of way, and slipped it back into his shirt pocket. Rodrigo took him up on the seat, though, and sat down with one leg casually set over the other.

Crushing his stump of a cigarette into the ashtray, Fabrice blew off a last puff to the side, then leaned over with a rare gleam in his brown eyes.

“Now look, Rodrigo - can I wrestle a promise from you?”

Rodrigo stroked the stubble of what used to be a beard. “That, as always, depends. I take it you want me in the ring… and soon, if this promise is as urgent as it sounds.”

Fabrice let out a toothy belly-laugh. “El Campeador has a wit as fast as his hands, eh? Well, you’re right: I need you for a bout this evening. It’ll be right around when the Hispanics close down shop and are looking for a drink and a show. You’ve got some more foreign competition in town: a German, they tell me. According to the rumours going around, he showed up a couple days ago and seemed to know the place already, then there was a twinkle in his eyes when somebody mentioned El Campeador. Somebody you know?”

Though Rodrigo had many conflicting memories of the past year, none of them matched what Fabrice was telling him. He didn’t know a German - but then again, if nothing else Enrico was a master of making new identities for himself. Fabrice had said it before: Ridrigo had known the man as ‘Enrico,’ but that was the past. A lot had changed since then.

“No, not likely,” he said with a shake of his head, and relaxed in the chair. “But this is short notice even for you, so what do you have in mind for me? The Englishman is searching on his own for Enrico, but I have my own work to do besides.”

That brought a smile to Fabrice’s worn face. “Always the busy man, Rodrigo! But you can’t get anywhere without a lead, no? And I hear plenty of stories, you know, including one from just last night…”

“Hm.”

Fabrice shrugged. “But I can’t give you anything until I’ve got you booked for tonight. Can I rely on you, Rodrigo? It’d mean a lot, for the both of us.”

Rodrigo thought it over, turning over in his mind the question of just what Fabrice could offer him: he was an ordinary man, unconnected to the Grail War, to Servants and Masters and the very concept of magecraft. Yet, he seemed confident, with a kind of self-satisfaction about the whole ‘quest’ for Enrico that Rodrigo hadn’t seen from him in a long while. And, what was more, he was in a good mood. Fabrice’s generosity always and only overlapped with his affability - and his overarching concern for getting his own way in things.

“Fine, then.” Rodrigo reached out his hand to shake on it. “But the rest of the day until six o’clock is mine and mine alone.”

That was good enough for Fabrice, and he took Rodrigo’s hand in a firm grip. “Then we’re good - good!” He laughed, and grabbed another cigarette and lit it before giving up the details Rodrigo had sold his time for.

“So, last night somebody was on the river in his motorboat, nothing strange there so far. Then as he was passing by Theodore Roosevelt Island and the new bridge they’re putting up there, something just bang - slams against his boat, like a log. Except there’s nothing floating in the water when he checks it out. He’s a fisherman, and so he throws some line overboard to see if it catches on anything. And then-” he took another drag, “he feels the line seize up. What else is in the water but a statue, stuck knee-deep in the sand. It’s a statue of a woman, looks like it’s made of stone or something, a real true-to-life beauty like some ancient thing that went missing from somebody’s art gallery. He calls up some friends and they manage to drag the statue out, and later he talks to the Smithsonian about it. It’s not one of theirs, and a few calls later they find it’s not from any museum or anything anywhere on the east coast. Somehow this Roman statue just appeared here and nobody knows whose it is. Then some scientist at the Smithsonian comes forward and explains that it’s apparently made of local rock, millions of years old, like a fossil. Nobody could make any sense of it.”

Rodrigo leaned back in his chair, taking in the information, “But you think I can?”

Fabrice just shrugged. “You get involved in weird shit, Rodrigo. First the vanished Enrico guy, then this Pole out of nowhere who moves like lightning asks for you by name. And now whoever this German really is! I don’t believe in coincidences, Rodrigo. Back around March they found a dead girl buried under the old D.C. post office, looked like somebody… well, ripped her heart out. Brutal stuff. You showed up just a little while after that.”

“Are you making an accusation?” Rodrigo narrowed his eyes on the Frenchman, wondering now just how much more he really knew. Who was he, really?”

His reply was a casual wave of the hand. “Don’t take me for that kind of man now, Rodrigo. All I’m saying is, ever since March this city hasn’t been normal. It’s like it’s cursed, and whoever put the curse on this place has some interest in you. Maybe that’s what this whole Enrico business is about, eh?”

“Maybe.” Rodrigo turned taciturn, not wanting to share any more with Fabrice than he had to. If the Grail War truly was starting again - the ‘curse’ on this city - then ordinary people couldn’t be allowed to know of it. Fabrice was getting too close: Rodrigo let out a sigh, knowing his days in the boxing ring were now coming to a close.

“What’s that for?” Fabrice flicked his cigarette and showed Rodrigo a scowl.

“I need to find that statue. The Smithsonian, you said?” He was already out of the chair and was setting his jacket back on his shoulders.

Fabrice relented with a shake of his head. “Yeah, the castle. Right in the Mall, you can’t miss it. If anyone asks why you’re there, tell them ‘Los Paisanos’ sent you. And good luck, eh?”

Rodrigo nodded back at him, and without a sound was out of the office. He walked out onto the street at a brisk pace, looking from side to side to see if anyone was following him. No one around seemed suspicious - other than himself - and it was before noon on a weekday so the city wasn’t especially busy yet in terms of foot traffic. As always when he went out he glanced at every face he passed, hoping for a moment that it might be Enrico. After months, no one he passed by matched any face from his scattered memories, not least that of Enrico. Today was no different, and it was with a feeling of distinct unease and foreboding that he reached the National Mall with the sun at his back.

There it was: the Smithsonian Castle, nestled in the gardens across from the far grander museum that shared its name. Crowds streamed into the latter, but only a few people strayed near the castle.

Rodrigo lingered for a while in front of it, taking stock of his options. He didn’t sense any Servant or other magical presence from within the castle itself, but he doubted he’d simply be able to walk in and take the statue. Nothing would arouse more suspicion than that, and there was always the chance that someone was lying in wait, using the statue as an ambush. Rodrigo agreed with Fabrice that, regardless of its origins, the statue was bizarre and seemed to indicate a connection to something bigger going on in the city as of late. It could be the handiwork of a Servant, some poor victim of a Noble Phantasm whose remains were poorly hidden - or it could itself be some magic, a weapon waiting for its target to arrive.

Lingering in the gardens, Rodrigo kept to the westward shadows of the castle and examined its architecture. Fabrice hadn’t said where the statue had been kept, but it was unlikely it would be out in the open. Perhaps in one of the towers?

Then, out of the corner of his eye, he caught sight of something supernatural. His senses felt the electric touch of magecraft close to the castle’s shadowed brick wall, obscured by a broad-leafed tree. Looking around to make sure no one saw him, he pictured in his mind an old, familiar sword - and into his hand materialised Tizona, one of his famous pair. If events continued as he suspected they would, he would only be Rodrigo for a little while longer before he became, as he had been so many months before, El Cid.

It was a magus, he could tell, and not a Servant; that gave him confidence in dashing ahead toward where he last felt their presence.

With a clench of his teeth he raised his sword-arm, lunging forward and bringing his glittering damascene steel down onto a figure crouched down by a basement window of the castle. He made them out to be a black-haired woman in a full-body suit with a heavy bag at her side, a narrow-bladed knife clutched in one hand and just barely tracing against the glass of the window.

Just in time she jerked her head to the side and saw Rodrigo, then with incredible speed dipped her hand into her bag and brought out a pistol with a bulky suppressor attached. She ducked back and got on one knee, firing a brace of shots in Rodrigo’s direction.

Unlike in the boxing ring, here he did not have to pretend he was anything less than a Heroic Spirit: with deft movements of his hand almost invisible to the eye he cut the bullets from the air just as they neared him, parrying them as easily as a mortal swordsman would deflect an opponent’s blade. It was then the woman understood what she was up against, and she bolted to the side with the castle’s garden of trees as cover. She handled something small in her hand that she’d slipped out of her sleeve, and then disappeared into the thick shadows - but only for a moment. Such a trick was not enough to catch El Cid unawares, and his own superior speed brought him in front of her even as she tried to lose his pursuit around the other side of the castle towards the Mall.

He brought his leg in a low kick and sent her tumbling to the ground, then grasped her wrists together in a vice-tight grip, looking into her eyes and trying to remember her face.

“Do you know me?” he asked sternly, his blade inches from her heart.

“No, but I know what you are - a Servant. Saber, am I right? So the war is on after all?” She looked past him to her duffel bag, then back up to his eyes. In modern streetclothes he hardly had the look of a Heroic Spirit, but there was no mistaking his power and precision, or the sheer magical energy of the sword he bore. He was a Servant, the first she’d seen; she was a magus, the first he’d seen. They were mutually unique, and worth mutual interest.

“Yes,” he affirmed, but offered nothing more. “Why were you trying to sneak into the castle here? Is there something inside I would gain from knowing about?”

She scoffed, squirming against his tightening fingers. “I might tell you. It seems like there’s a lot you don’t know. Let me go first, alright?”

Rodrigo looked down at her, and he sighed. He relaxed his grip, and she scrambled to her feet but did not make a move to run again. Standing before her, Rodrigo nodded and waited for her to answer; in any likelihood she was his enemy, but she was just a magus. There was little honour in a knight of his stature cutting down a foe who could only last a few seconds against him in battle.

“I could feel something out of the ordinary around here, but I didn’t know if it was a magus or a Servant. I thought I had my answer here-” she gestured to Rodrigo and his sword, “-but it was something else, after all. It’s in the castle, maybe the unattended lair of some magus out on a stroll or whatever they like to do.”

“Is that so?” Rodrigo crossed his arms, trying to figure out just how far he could trust her. “So you have not seen the statue yourself… hm.” Watching her face, he carefully gauged her reaction.

Her eyes widened - genuine surprise. This was something new to her, he could tell. “What statue? Another Servant?”

“Or the victim of one,” he mused. “Something unusual either way, and worth investigating. This statue is what brought me here, but clearly you want the information as much as I do.”

He glanced down to her hand, and couldn’t perceive any ethereal connection between this magus and a Heroic Spirit. That made him curious: she hadn’t summoned a Servant yet, then? Did she simply not have the chance to, or was she like him, an inexplicable leftover, a mosaic of broken memories that never formed a whole and legible picture? She seemed familiar to him, though he was completely certain this was their first meeting. No one but Enrico was truly distinct in his recollection of the past year’s events.

“We can be partners, then, if that suits you like it does me,” came her suggestion, plain and straightforward. He appreciated that, and gave her a weary smile.

The sun was high in the sky above them, already noon. Summer heat permeated the air, and the shadows of the trees began to shrink as the trickle of people walking down the garden paths by the castle grew. There wasn’t much time for either of them to work unnoticed, and Rodrigo quickly agreed to the woman’s idea.

“Good. You can call me Ilse, by the way.”

“I am Rodrigo… or Saber, as you guessed correctly.”

She raised her eyebrows quizzically as she crouched down to put her gun back where it belonged in her bag. “Rodrigo? I never heard of a hero by that name. If you really want to use a nom de guerre, I’m not offended.”

Part of him wanted to be fully truthful with her, but he saw it as no stain on his Christian honour if, like in the old tradition, a knight refused to reveal his name for reasons known only to him.

With her collection of tools she began to work at the window, cutting into it with the same knife he’d seen her using before. It traced a long line across the glass, forming a shape like the cut of a blade across clear ice, large enough for a person to fit through. Rodrigo, meanwhile, kept watch, his tall figure obscuring Ilse from anyone looking through the trees from the path.

“I went inside earlier and got a map of the castle’s interior,” she explained. “Downstairs they have an archive, a collections room where they keep new acquisitions and pieces meant for research before they’re put on display in the museum. That’s where I could feel a trace of something unusual, but now that you mention a statue, this makes a lot more sense. What is it a statue of, do you know?”

“A woman, made out of stone. It looks antique, possibly Roman, but no one knows where it came from before it was fished out of the river.”

Ilse touched her fingers gingerly to the window, and as though she’d found a secret key it opened up for her with the trace of a small rune on the glass and the whispering of a few ancient words.

“Well, I think in that case it should be perfectly easy to find, don’t you agree?” Getting on her back in the grass she began to push her feet through the window, then after giving Rodrigo a thumbs-up she slid all the way through; he looked down through the gap and could see her standing on her feet in between rows and rows of boxes stacked up high on wooden shelves. No sign of a statue at first glance, but he had hope and followed suit through the window, one hand pulling Ilse’s duffel bag down with him.

The collections room in the basement of the Smithsonian Castle was a labyrinth of shelves and drawers and boxes and papers, all incomprehensible to either of them but very clearly not a five-foot statue of a woman.

However, it proved not hard to find: there was an open space in the basement under a soft light and beside a desk, on which lay a book full of sketches and notes in a quick cursive hand.

The statue was greyish-brown and both felt and looked like a petrified tree; it depicted a woman with long, flowing hair and a simple dress that went down to her shins, seemingly modern in fashion. Her eyes were frozen in an unknown but eerie expression, half surprise and half anger, and her lips were just barely parted as though the statue itself was nearly about to speak. Everything about it was remarkably true to life, and it was smooth as though it had been worked by a master craftsman - but Rodrigo saw no toolmarks on its surface, no signature stamped somewhere on it even eroded by time that suggested the artist who had managed such a singular feat. This was unlike any Roman work Rodrigo had seen in his lifetime even in the oldest cities of Spain, yet it looked so beautifully lifelike it had to be man-made: God in His creation and shaping of the world was never so deliberate as to fashion rock in the manner of human artifice.

Ilse had her hand on the statue’s face, her eyes intense in examination. It was as though she knew the subject of this artwork, yet was still trying to identify their mutual connection.

She turned to Rodrigo, still grasping at the hewn stone. “We need to bring this somewhere we can study it, I… I feel like I know her.”

“A statue?” Rodrigo was curious, but for now didn’t question Ilse’s apparent attachment to the rock. “Let me take care of it.”

He heaved the statue onto its side and carried it like a wounded comrade over his shoulders, careful not to damage it as the two navigated the narrow alleys of the collections room. Ilse guided Rodrigo back to the window, lifting herself up the wall then laying down a rope back into the basement for him to ascend. Like thieves having accomplished the heist of the century, they had taken their quarry seemingly unnoticed; both breathed deeply, feeling the pounding of exhilaration in their hearts as they came nearer and nearer to an answer. Neither knew exactly what the other had invested in this strange statue, but as soon as either had laid eyes on it they knew it was somehow crucial to their separate searches for the truth.

Standing amidst the trees, Rodrigo touched his hand to the statue’s pale, frozen shoulder.

“I should be able to make this easier on us: I can take ownership of an object as a Servant, vanishing it for the moment and then conjuring it later when needed. I suspect more than just the two of us are searching for this statue… whatever power it might hold.”

With his eyes closed he concentrated his magical energy into the statue, picturing it in an ethereal space only he could access so that he could rematerialise it just as he had done with his sword. Yet, even after a minute of trying to command the stone before him, it remained standing steadfast. He could tell now that deep within it was a well of energy that seemed to be waiting to be unlocked - but, so it seemed, he did not have the key.

Ilse furrowed her brow, tapping on the statue’s nose. “So, this is beyond even a Servant’s power? What kind of magus could create a construct like this…” She shook her head, no answers coming to her from just this superficial analysis. It began to remind her more of a corpse than a piece of worked stone, a growing feeling in the depths of her hard that unsettled even her.

“Then we have to keep it hidden somewhere,” Rodrigo said to her, taking hold of it once again, its weight no concern to him. “I have a good place in mind.”

Nodding her assent, Ilse followed the knight as he carried - far from discreetly - this life-sized statue of a woman back the way he came, to Finley’s gym in the northeast of Washington, D.C. No one seemed to notice them, as far as he could tell: he wasn’t sure why, but not a single person stared at this man hefting a statue through the streets of the capitol, but he was glad enough to not be slowed down and did not question it. Ilse, after all, was a magus with her own tricks. For now, at least, he understood their purposes were aligned.

A regular saw Rodrigo approaching, statue in hand and with a woman at his side, and opened up the door to the gym for him.

“Fabrice!” shouted Rodrigo, not yet setting down the stone. “I need the back room! Is anyone in there?”

A familiar figure peered out from the gym’s office. “Go ahead, go ahead.” He did not inquire further, curious as he was about the statue and the new friend El Campeador had brought with him to the sacred space of the gym.

In the back of the gym there was a storage room, mostly full of scattered boxes and old equipment, tinged with the musty stench of a place that had lain dormant for far too long, like a modern ruin. It was originally a locker room, but all but one of the showers had stopped working and the owner of the gym didn’t have the money for a full renovation of the space - so it was left here, for whoever might find it useful. Today, finally, there were two who could: Ilse cleared an open space on the floor for the statue, and Rodrigo set it down, like the gym’s newest sculpture. It was hardly an inspiring monument, and in the dim, hazy light of the storage room it seemed to embody the decay all around it.

There was something about it that neither Ilse nor Rodrigo could place; there was a magic to it, ancient and foreboding, and now when she laid a hand on it the statue’s dress felt like real fabric, and in place of the coldness of old stone she had the impression of warm, soft skin. She recoiled at once, staring again into the statue’s frozen eyes. It was a very specific, terrifying moment caught in time, but whoever had captured this emotion and pose seemed unlikely to reveal themselves.

“It was found in the river, you said?” Ilse asked as she walked around the sculpture, trying to see it from every angle.

Rodrigo nodded. “Near Theodore Roosevelt Island, I was told. A fisherman and a few others raised it from the water, and then someone took it to the Smithsonian Castle.”

“Hmm…” Ilse sat on a bench in front of the row of worn-down lockers and rested her chin in her hand. “Someone took it after it was found… someone who wanted it hidden, maybe? Do you know who?”

“No - just that it was someone from the Smithsonian. I received this information second-hand,” he confessed, and sat down himself, seeing little else they could do about this mystery for now. The clock on the storage room wall was long since broken and told no accurate time, but it reminded Rodrigo that he had his own obligations to keep.

“Allegedly someone from the Smithsonian, then,” Ilse countered, and she began poring over the stone again like a palmist divining the life-lines in a person’s hands. “I wonder, then…”

She stood in front of the statue, and gently touched her hand to its face. Just then the whistling came back to haunt her, and she winced; her face began to pale as an unnamed familiarity dawned over her, and images of life being drained away assailed her just as they had earlier this morning in the embassy. The whistling twisted and transformed in a writhing sound she couldn’t follow to a melody, until it became once more a distinct set of words sung to an invisible tune:

“You should know by now, you've been there yourself…”

Ilse breathed, deep and ragged, as though a weight was crushing down on her chest, a sensation that existed only within the confines of her mind. She saw images of Algeria behind her eyelids, the red of blood, indistinct crackling and chattering and a thunderous explosion that rose up from a great sea. Her hand still on the statue’s half-alive face, she slid her fingers down its eyes as though to close them in respect, so that she would not have to see anymore and her long-suffering life could finally be ended.

She felt warmth against her palm, and the feeling of lips opening. Opening her eyes, Ilse drew her hand back and could see two dark eyes staring back into her own, very much alive. Gone was the stone, and in its place was pale white skin, black hair and eyes and a black dress, and a face that seemed seared into a memory that had belonged to a different era, a different realm of time.

The woman reached out to feel Ilse’s warm hand, and then she glanced at Rodrigo. Her words came out at long last in unsteady Russian.

“Where am I? And… how long has it been?”

I'm very sorry for not posting on Christmas as promised, everyone! I ended up busier than I expected, and the chapter longer than expected (6,966 words!), and I didn't have the time I'd hope to in order to write it all. I hope that the quality of this one makes up for the delay.

I haven't made the map yet, but I'll be appending it to this post tomorrow once I've got it ready. In the meantime though... I'll deliver the late answers to the question asked! Also, since no one else put in their own questions, I'll extend it as well: if you have any questions or curiosities, ask away and I'll answer them on Orthodox Christmas, that is, January 7th. It's technically still Christmas!

Highwayman's Question

It might be predictable, but the main characters who won't be showing up from MPII are the circumstantial ones: more or less those who either had an extremely minor role or who existed pretty much just for one scene or whose existence is predicated on things specific to MPII: Gilgamesh and Nobunaga are the prime examples of this, but most of the Servants featured in the very first arc of MPII, the Trojan War-esque battle royale at the National Mall, are included under that banner as well. Other ones are Jim Bowie (of one-off General Dialogue fame) and Longinus. For most of them, it's because they were very simple characters I didn't think much about, and rather than fleshing them out I'd rather make new characters and give them attention.

One of the notable non-inclusions is Jaroslaw, the Polish Master of Hassan. He has a cameo in Rodrigo's chapters that you might've caught, but otherwise won't be appearing in this story. RODERICK FONTAINE, everyone's famous rare MPII vampire, who also was involved with Hassan, won't be in this story either: he was Spinach's OC that I included for fun as a kind of tribute as part of a make-a-character campaign way back when, and it doesn't feel right having him in the story while Spinach isn't reading any more. He'll remain as a fun part of MPII, maybe with a cameo of his own like Jaroslaw.

Hassan himself, on the other hand... well, you'll just have to see! Depending on your choices, many others might not even get a single appearance through the rest of the story, while others rise to prominence.

Map: August 22, 1963, Nighttime

Last edited by Five_X; January 14th, 2022 at 01:48 PM.

love me until I love myself Prix with a Silent X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    AO3 is more suited to play-by-play comments, given the extension I use, but the forum format encourages bleary-eyed binging, which is what I've done to catch up on your fic tonight.

First, I want to compliment generally that you have made most of your characters stick. One reason I shy away from heavily OC-driven fic is that one of the allures of fanfic is that you don't have to get to know new characters. Unlike some of the old guard, I haven't read MP II and so I'm not familiar with any or all of these people. However, I am finding that I am having the characters pull back up in my memory in their second appearances, which is nice.

The same cannot be said for the date(s)? I am uncertain as to why you only date certain chapters, and the forum format makes it hard for me to go back and see if it's always the same date. I understand that there is time-repetition at play here, but I don't know how obvious it is yet. I really enjoyed Rodrigo's thoughts about that, though! It was a bit haunting.

I notice the repeated use of the word 'mosaic' across many chapters which gives me the indication that it isn't just a repetition of the exact same events with the exact same Master/Servant configurations but rather that varying alliances have formed over time? That was the impression I got from Boudicaa's Master, at least? Or perhaps I'm a bit mixed up.

I think James has a real human quality to him, and yet I find myself side-eying him a little bit. Interested in him!

Also interested in Jacqueline. Didn't she die twice already?

Also I don't really understand your voting dynamic here so if you wanna explain it a bit I'll try to participate.
    Imagine that the world is made out of love. Now imagine that it isn’t.

Imagine a story where everything goes wrong, where everyone has their back against the wall, where everyone is in pain and acting selfishly because if they don’t, they’ll die.
    Imagine a story, not of good against evil, but of need against need against need, where everyone is at cross-purposes and everyone is to blame.

Blog of Fiction for You to Consume
    Other Links

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow View Post
    Let Sakura say fuck and eat junkfood you weirdos.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Prix with a Silent X View Post
    AO3 is more suited to play-by-play comments, given the extension I use, but the forum format encourages bleary-eyed binging, which is what I've done to catch up on your fic tonight.
    Welcome to the club!! Though we be but little, we are fierce.

First, I want to compliment generally that you have made most of your characters stick. One reason I shy away from heavily OC-driven fic is that one of the allures of fanfic is that you don't have to get to know new characters. Unlike some of the old guard, I haven't read MP II and so I'm not familiar with any or all of these people. However, I am finding that I am having the characters pull back up in my memory in their second appearances, which is nice.
    That's the most important part! I'm glad that the story works for someone who hasn't read the original, so your enjoyment is proof of concept for this whole fic.

The same cannot be said for the date(s)? I am uncertain as to why you only date certain chapters, and the forum format makes it hard for me to go back and see if it's always the same date. I understand that there is time-repetition at play here, but I don't know how obvious it is yet. I really enjoyed Rodrigo's thoughts about that, though! It was a bit haunting.
    This is something that probably works better on AO3. The date confusion isn't completely intended, it's just that I only date each new day, and the chapters alternate between day and night, so the night chapters will most of the time not be dated. While writing this chapter I even confused myself, and originally had it take place on the 23rd when it's actually the 22nd. Maybe the confusion works in the story's favour though!

I notice the repeated use of the word 'mosaic' across many chapters which gives me the indication that it isn't just a repetition of the exact same events with the exact same Master/Servant configurations but rather that varying alliances have formed over time? That was the impression I got from Boudicaa's Master, at least? Or perhaps I'm a bit mixed up.
    Rodrigo in this last chapter addresses this more directly than anyone else so far: there was a war earlier in the year, but the events don't match up exactly to what anyone remembers (of those who do remember). You've got a good eye in noticing 'mosaic' throughout: some things are the same, and some things are different. Of course, no one yet knows exactly what's going on and how things work. So, Rodrigo doesn't remember Ilse, but Ilse seems to remember the petrified woman, and Eleanor doesn't consciously remember anything.

I think James has a real human quality to him, and yet I find myself side-eying him a little bit. Interested in him!

Also interested in Jacqueline. Didn't she die twice already?
    James is the most everyday normal guy of the main cast, just a good red-blooded American! He definitely stands out in a group of traumatised war veterans, ancient god-queens, and wealthy aristocrats.

Jacqueline is the most skilled at dying of all the characters so far, though her only competition seems to be Ilse. Interesting things always happen when Jacqueline dies, so feel free to keep getting her in mortal peril!

Also I don't really understand your voting dynamic here so if you wanna explain it a bit I'll try to participate.
    After every chapter I post a map, and everyone gets one vote (unless specified otherwise) to pick one of the labelled places on the map - like Finley's Gym, The Mall, Chinatown, and so on. The choices are different for each chapter, but as characters are revealed through the story, they get little chibi icons to indicate if they're going to be the chapter's focus in a certain place - the places without chibis will focus on unknown/unrevealed characters. Whichever place is chosen by the most votes is the one that I'll be writing about in the coming chapter, so you can choose to chase certain plot threads or characters however you wish. Jacqueline is the one exception: she'll always appear in any nighttime chapter even if she isn't the focus.

Also, related to this, the map and choices are up! If you're wondering why Finley's Gym isn't on the map despite the obvious cliffhanger, it's because Rodrigo and Ilse will get to continue off from that at the start of the chapter, then the chapter choice itself will follow. I wanted to finish off their scene in the last chapter, but it would've made it all waaaayy too long.

For the curious and since I feel like posting old fanart, here's Rodrigo:
    Spoiler:
    Last edited by Five_X; December 27th, 2021 at 03:50 PM.

love me until I love myself Prix with a Silent X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I vote for Lion House because that exclamation point draws my attention.
    Imagine that the world is made out of love. Now imagine that it isn’t.

Imagine a story where everything goes wrong, where everyone has their back against the wall, where everyone is in pain and acting selfishly because if they don’t, they’ll die.
    Imagine a story, not of good against evil, but of need against need against need, where everyone is at cross-purposes and everyone is to blame.

Blog of Fiction for You to Consume
    Other Links

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow View Post
    Let Sakura say fuck and eat junkfood you weirdos.

Polished, not a word wasted--an excellent (re)introduction for Ilse, whose circumstances (owed a debt by France but representing West Germany in the grail war, a nationalist first and mage second, burdened with disillusionment but holding fast to her goals) are not the easiest to explain succinctly. Her flashbacks to when she was a combatant in the Algerian War were some of the most memorable and haunting chapters of Manhattan Project II. Having her read Wretched of the Earth connects that personal trauma (the physical and mental pain she endured, as well as the suffering she inflicted on others) to a larger historical context.

Some of the literary and film references so far have been familiar to me, others I've had to look up, but they add a lot to the setting either way. Please continue to include them whenever it seems appropriate.

There is an unspoken social contract in civilised society: that a human being, acting rationally, will not take the life of another. To break this contract is to taint one’s soul - to be defined not so much as a person but as a killer. One defence that arises, then, is that of irrationality: the killer is not fundamentally murderous, but in some way insane - substituting one social disease for another. In either case, that of the killer or the madman, a person has desecrated the basic sanctity of life and a barrier is shattered that can never be repaired; this figure becomes an un-person whose ethics are forever more suspect. Even after a punishment is meted out and they return to society, a killer retains that corruption on their human soul which no spiritual ablution can cleanse.
    Really loved this passage. It's appropriate for Ilse of course, and consistent with the themes of MPII, but I also get some Kara no Kyoukai vibes. Shiki and Ilse would understand one another quite well, I think.

She felt warmth against her palm, and the feeling of lips opening. Opening her eyes, Ilse drew her hand back and could see two dark eyes staring back into her own, very much alive. Gone was the stone, and in its place was pale white skin, black hair and eyes and a black dress, and a face that seemed seared into a memory that had belonged to a different era, a different realm of time.
    The woman reached out to feel Ilse’s warm hand, and then she glanced at Rodrigo. Her words came out at long last in unsteady French.
    “Where am I? And… how long has it been?”
    If this is who I think it is...<3
    After all, she wasn't on the "not appearing in Revolution #9 list.

As for voting, I feel a bit guilty for ignoring T.R. Island, but I'd love to check back in with James and Cleo.
    I vote for The Euclid.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
    Polished, not a word wasted--an excellent (re)introduction for Ilse, whose circumstances (owed a debt by France but representing West Germany in the grail war, a nationalist first and mage second, burdened with disillusionment but holding fast to her goals) are not the easiest to explain succinctly. Her flashbacks to when she was a combatant in the Algerian War were some of the most memorable and haunting chapters of Manhattan Project II. Having her read Wretched of the Earth connects that personal trauma (the physical and mental pain she endured, as well as the suffering she inflicted on others) to a larger historical context.

Some of the literary and film references so far have been familiar to me, others I've had to look up, but they add a lot to the setting either way. Please continue to include them whenever it seems appropriate.
    I'm glad you liked the whole rambling Ilse intro! I had to write around it a bunch of times and rework it as well, and almost cut it outright - but kept it in the end. You'll certainly get to experience more of Algeria if you keep going for Ilse scenes! Here's a fun fact: the wartime atrocities described in Ilse's internal monologue are all true to life; my professor in his class on insurgencies was kind enough to provide pictures

Really loved this passage. It's appropriate for Ilse of course, and consistent with the themes of MPII, but I also get some Kara no Kyoukai vibes. Shiki and Ilse would understand one another quite well, I think.
    I was actually thinking a bit of KnK when I was writing this! My other influence for Ilse's personality in Revolution #9 is Joanna Burke's fantastic monograph An Intimate History of Killing, which deals with the psychology of soldiers in various wars of the 20th century and tries to explain a lot of the extremely casual brutality that went on in those conflicts, especially WW2 and Vietnam.

If this is who I think it is...<3
    After all, she wasn't on the "not appearing in Revolution #9 list.

As for voting, I feel a bit guilty for ignoring T.R. Island, but I'd love to check back in with James and Cleo.
    I vote for The Euclid.
    I'm just realising you pointed out quite the gaffe on my part! Whoever she is can't speak French - I'll fix that in a bit. With these votes, it looks like we've got a tie! Unless somebody breaks it (or makes it a three-way tie...) I'll settle it with a coin flip. I have to wonder whatever happened to our good Monsieur Restants!

Blog Entries
    Hello friends, sorry for not updating in a good long while. I made good progress of about 1,500 words on the upcoming chapter a few weeks ago, and then I realised I didn't like it and started thinking about how to rewrite it. I've been stuck there ever since, partly due to writer's hesitancy (not quite block) and partly due to a difficult cycle of grad school work. Soon, however, I'll be tackling this chapter from a new angle and also enhancing my writerly capabilities with what the Irish call "the water of life." It's my traditional solution to essay problems, and fiction isn't so different. I hope to have something new for you all to read very soon.