Thread: Angel Notes stuff from Character Material

Angel Notes stuff from Character Material

Hey everyone. I bought Character Material and I've been using it to just throw myself in the deep end with Japanese study. I'm still learning, so if this turns out to be full of mistranslations, then you know why. (2023 update: I still suck at wording JP->English but my comprehension is better)

If you haven't read Angel Notes, read this first:
    https://forums.nrvnqsr.com/showthrea...on-by-Evospace

or

my own translation of the main story (compiled into a PDF)
    ↑ Personally I recommend this version of the main story and not because I am the guy translating, since I have consulted Evospace's original translation during the translation process. Without that original translation, this wouldn't have been possible since I couldn't find reasonably priced prints and the old scans are c r u n c h y to say the least. So I did not make this to disapprove of Evospace or try to steal the spotlight. I originally made this because i wanted Angel Notes but in a copy/pastable form and then I ended up translating it.

Godot

Godot
    Real name erased. He was known by the names "Gun God" and "False God".

After this world fell into ruin, there were only a few "humans" left from The Old Era.

Godot was from an artificial paradise created by those humans who tried to survive the
    apocalypse, among other things.

The paradise itself was promptly extinguished by The Black Aristotle. However, a human who had undergone environmental adaptation, Godot, had the misfortune of surviving as the last remaining human on Earth.

However, even though he survived, he didn't have long to live. For Godot, life was now like living on the moon. Without the help of machines and medicines, he couldn't breathe properly, and had no choice but to eat poisonous food.
    It was certainly quite bleak but since he had overcome many near-death experiences, Godot accepted— or "resigned" himself to become more of a masochist than a pessimist, taking it easy each day.

Once, out of a desire for revenge from the bottom of his heart, he excavated the Black Barrel
    from the sealed area of Atlasia, and participated in a military operation to stop the descent
    of Type-Venus. He withdrew from the war after that, and his location became a mystery.

There's a rumour that he got himself involved in a mission to intercept Type-Saturn in a
    certain city, and he is considered to have died in action.

He was the weakest, but Godot was a sniper who could resist the strongest poison.

Black Barrel
    The black gun that Godot used. It was a weapon crafted using the true fifth element that causes the fifth imaginary element to destroy itself. The Six Sisters called it a conceptual weapon of "a natural lifespan."

A bullet fired from this gun is a magical gunshot that inflicts a wound bypassing any kind of ability value as long as the target operates on True Ether. It's akin to a cancer cell driven directly into the body.

One of the reasons why humans fell from the crown of creation was their inability to deal with the Grain that filled the atmosphere, which is fatal when inhaled. This new energy, Grain, refused humanity and caused it to become the weakest living organisms on Earth. However, the Black Barrel was a weapon that suddenly reversed this flaw. It was highly versatile with every kind of option available via the exchanging of parts, and it could even be used as a sniper rifle. Its unmodified form was similar to a rifle with a curved stock.

At the time of excavation, there were two guns, the original and the replica. Godot's favorite was the original.

Source/Notes. (Tsukihime Dokuhon ni Shuroku/Tsukihime Reading Book Compilation)
    The protagonist of a short story about angels within the Land of Steel. He is the weakest, but he has a special weapon that defeats the strong, he’s definitely a person who fits the definition of a protagonist. Later on, I decided to have this style be inherited by Shiki from Tsukihime…

…sort of, well, maybe not.

V/V
    Little Girl
    Projection. Illusory Angel.
    She played the guitar, but she was pretty bad at it.
    After appearing in Godot's apartment, she portrayed herself as a maid... but in truth, she was a good-for-nothing freeloader. Basically, she just sat around and did nothing other than being a little troublemaker.
    V/V had a special ability that gave her a subtle healing effect, V/V's ultimate attack however, was to completely eat up Godot's income.
    Her hobby was appreciating the lives of those gathered under the big trees.

As you'd expect, falling in love with a virtual existence isn't a good idea; but as you'd also expect, virtual existences are made for falling in love.

City of the World Trees
    It was once a base built in order to monitor the corpse of Type-Venus.
    At the time, those assigned to the site felt as if they were sent into exile. But when it became clear that the corpse was greening the ground, the base slowly developed into The City of the World Trees.

During the military shooting operation involving Types-Uranus & Neptune, the city's large trees will lose most of their leaves.

Heaven's Corpse (Type-Venus)
    The Ultimate One of Venus.
    It could be described as a carnivorous plant with an overall length of about a thousand meters. It is said to have a form similar to a fish with a pair of gigantic trees behind it, but nobody has ever recorded it accurately because it was hidden within the sea of clouds.
    It came flying into Earth slightly later than the other invading Aristoteles and drifted among the sea of clouds for a long time. It was harmless for a brief period until it finally completed its search for an ideal seedbed and began descending.
    That true form roots into the earth and spreads millions, or rather an indecipherable number of spores (angelic predator terminals). It is an invasive creature that resembles a forest plant, capable of growing from the environment.
    The Aristotle was parasitic in nature, so it had ended up "absorbing" the concept of the Human Species.

Source/Notes.
    Admirable and single-minded in nature, ××××××× had fallen in love with the idea of love itself. The command that had been entered was "Prey upon everyone and every thing on Earth", but the answer that they came to was "Love everyone and every thing on Earth", I suppose that can't be helped.
    Ah, it became an incurable thing. Thy name to be loved.

Ado Edem
    Mystic Sword - Slash Emperor
    The Mystic Sword wielded by Ado Edem. The devourer of planets.
    It is a simple Mystic Sword that increases the size of the blade to match the size of the target. The sword-seed in Edem's hand germinates and rapidly expands at the speed of a thought.
    However, no matter how much True Ether is used for a Mystic Sword, a huge conversion source is required to compose such a huge mass.
    The more Edem's Mystic Sword increases in size, the more it simultaneously scrapes away at the earth.
    The flow of the old world's many laws allowed it to gain resources; Edem is no different, bringing ruin to the world in order to protect humanity. It is possible to say that he is the embodiment of all humans existing at this present moment.
    Before the formation of the Mystic Sword, it waits in its seed state, until it pierces the earth in response to Edem opening his eyes to the truth, growing like a green eggplant.
    This scene shows the normal battle state. What seems like a blue aura is not the grain emitted by the blade, but the sky being torn by the sword. Slash Emperor shows its majestic appearance when it cuts through the devastated world's "red sky", revealing a glimpse of the truth.

Ado Edem
    The Knight that forms the Mystic Sword - Slash Emperor. The knight didn't
    stand out during the battle against the Hundred A-Ray Subspecies, however at the time the
    Aristoteles came flying in, he rose to the centre stage.
    Knight Edem cleaved "The Black Aristotle" Type-Jupiter in two with a single swing of that
    Mystic Sword.
    Since then, the Hundred A-Ray Subspecies, Human Species and the Order of
    Knights built a disposal site to imprison Edem within The Great Rift, known
    as "The Witch's Umbrella" due to the excessively deviant nature of Slash Emperor.
    ...... As the battle with the Aristoteles was approaching its end, he was deployed as the
    Human Species' last resort, and annihilated "The Cross", Type-Saturn, which was said to be
    invincible, but it is currently unknown if he is alive or dead.

The Witch's Umbrella (Witch Swift Umbrella)
    A castle built in the middle of a large fault. Its name comes from the fact that it is built on a scaffold that looks like an open umbrella turned upside down. It is the original concept for the millennium castle from Tsukihime. Within the depths of the castle-shaped prison's many walls and multiple doors, a thousand chains bind the thing that sits tied to a throne. From the castle walls, these chains stretch towards the throne like a spider web, lifting from the throne requires nothing other than the strength to destroy the entire castle. In addition, there are 78 doors that must to be passed to arrive at the throne, these are also magical doors that no ordinary knight can break down.

The Great Rift
    The leader of the Hundred Subspecies of A-Rays, the youngest sister of the Six Sisters, halved the world with a crack in the land. The Six Sisters were not created intentionally; it is nothing but the result of the youngest sister's death cry which gouged out the planet's surface as she was killed by a certain Knight. In the Land of Steel, "Magecraft" has been lost but rumour has it that each of the Six Sisters were Magicians.

Knights

The Human Species that has adapted and evolved to become a new humanity that can survive on the devastated earth, and are more humanoid creatures compared to the rest of the A-Rays. Liners each have an external organ from the moment of birth, which will be materialised from Grain and are generally named Mystic Swords, those which handle these swords are known as Knights.

Source / On the Land of Steel (Overcount 1999)

It is a story depicting the battle between the new humanity and other planets.

The genre is psuedo-science fiction, it is a fairy tale that depicts the battle between the new human race adapted to the environment and the next-generation ecosystem species created by humanity, the A-Rays.
    The story takes place on the dead planet, where people are happily fighting over who will be the next leader.
    However, a mysterious creatures called the Aristotles came from outer space as if telling them it was time for both of them to die.
    This is a very sad story.

The strongest species of each planet, Ultimate Ones (Aristotles) will appear frequently in the TYPE MOON games from now on.
    Also, as a side note;
    The "blue sky is seen through the red sky" was Mr. PFALZ's idea, who is in charge of the design.
    Even I had neglected to use the "red sky" in this way: ・・・・・・!

Details unknown. Rumour has it that it is a mutant species that suddenly fell into South America before the Christian Era (AD, Anno Domini).
    As a creature of aggressive nature, it takes pride in its distinct extradimensional abilities. The previous fifth ancestor recklessly attempted to capture it and was killed instantly. After that, it gained vampiric abilities, which established its treatment as an ancestor.
    An alien entity with an over-all length of forty meters. It's covered with an outer skin that's harder, more flexible, more resistant to temperature differences, and sharper than any other material on earth.
    Besides the main body's absurd attack values, it possesses a special ability resembling a Reality Marble - The Crystal Valley

Crystal Valley
    This is the invasion of a repulsive, beautiful landscape.
    Some magi and the Twenty-Seven Ancestors are capable of controlling mental worlds known as "Reality Marbles", but the one that ORT possesses is on a different level.
    ORT is a "visitor from another planet". Just by existing on earth, the environment around him (?) changes towards the environment he (?) once lived in. To put it simply, it is a falsification of the laws of nature — a leakage of an otherworldly order.
    If human beings are a species that destroys the earth, ORT is an "invader" that literally rewrites the earth into a different planet. Well... luckily since ORT is a lazy Mr. (?) Spider, it doesn't seem like he (?) has any interest in harming the earth. Maybe he (?)'s not interested in — an invasion. He (?) accidentally came along on the wrong time schedule, it is believed that he (?) has secluded himself (?) within the Crystal Valley until the promised time. However, it is impossible for humans to comprehend ORT's circumstances, the higher-ups of various organisations have been trying to deal with this kind of dangerous creature as soon as possible but have been counterattacked for poking their noses where they don't belong.

Memo
    The basic concept is "hopeless despair." You could say that if this was an RPG, ORT would be a hidden boss that is stronger than the last boss. "What is this game balance? The developers clearly put no thought into this!" No, no. You should know it is your fault for messing with him(?).
    ORT completely lacks the ability to learn the earth's culture, but by preying upon living creatures, it seems that he(?) can partially mimic abilities.
    (Because it is a mimicry, even if ORT talks in a human speech pattern, it is nothing but a repetition of something that was said in the past. Well, it's up to the individual to find the romance in that.) By the way, ORT considers the former fifth Dead Apostle Ancestor to have had the deepest, most intense flavour out of every living being on Earth so far.
    But as a side note, while ORT crystallising many trees simply by moving around was my early visual image for Crystal Valley, PFALZ's spider web idea for the Crystal Valley's river was amazing so I went with that. Also, many of the designs I asked PFALZ to create were based on the information in this book, which he compiled in an amusing way. He's like a rival, isn't he!? A super U.F.O. The strongest aggressive creature. It's an amazing design from another dimension! Or rather something that not even Arc win against!! Someone better get Ultram@n over here!

Source / ???

The Ultimate One of Mercury(?). Appears in the science-fiction short story "Notes." as one of the Ultimate Ones's comrades......but by mistake he(?) arrived on Earth before the others (about 5000 years), ahhh you stupid boy(?)!
    ......To tell you the truth, ORT wasn't one of the "Strongest Species" that received the distress call sent from Earth.
    By the way, you can't kill this thing with the Mystic Eyes of Death Perception. Possessing no concept of death, there is no other way but to destroy ORT physically.

Type-Moon
    Type-Moon

Extract from February 12 2002 interview with MelonBooks

February 12 2002 interview with MelonBooks

"Can you please tell us the origins of your circle name?"

Nasu: "It was hard to decide. Is it really okay to be called an Aristotles? It's a reference to an Aristotles from Notes, but for me, that naming that was a youthful way to make a decision.  So, if we're going to start with something related to note.
    "... As a matter of fact, in that story, Type-Moon is revealed just before the final obstacle. They wield the magical sword, Real of The World (True World)"
    I told the story I had been keeping secret, and was told, "Why don't you use Type-Moon?"

I hope you enjoy it. Maybe I'll make a PDF of the Character Material entries at some point but I can barely typeset.

You can have Ado Edem's page at the very least

https://imgur.com/a/beEzAtb

PS: Mystic Sword is 魔剣 , which was Demonic Sword in the original translation by Evospace (and a lot of other unrelated translations), it really muddies the lore around Demons when you translate 魔 as Demon every time especially because 魔[Noun] means Magical Sword or Magical Eyes (Mystic Eyes, 魔眼 Magan)

Not entirely futureproofed as a translation/localisation but if any Maken need the demonic adjective in the future, I would probably mention it's demonic aas an adjective or with furigana if/when it's being emphasised as a "Demonic" Sword specifically.
    Last edited by kotodamaTL; July 11th, 2023 at 12:51 AM. Reason: 最強種 is "Strongest Species" (noun)

HSTP 500 Internal S ervant  Error aldeayeah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Nice!

Man this is some ancient stuff. I think arai translated many snippets of it back in the day but it was probably gone with old bl/fuyuki.

Seems some of these entries are in the TM wiki, you could cross check here to see someone else's take:

https://typemoon.fandom.com/wiki/Enc...acter_material

Also, welcome to BL!
    don't quote me on this

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    From what I remember, Lianru did most of these as well. But I'm not entirely sure.

Either way, good going.

Blog Entries
    The strongest species of each planet, Ultimate Ones (Aristotles) will appear frequently in the TYPE MOON games from now on.
    It sure did huh

I retranslated the main story and my old translation of the material.
    Quote Originally Posted by My Twitter, it's just a place where I repost cute animals and fan art to be honest.
    https://twitter.com/kotodamaTL?t=2i0UNTnO99eOSH8JMeVjLw&s=09

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Thanks for this!

Quote Originally Posted by Kamera View Post
    It sure did huh

Skip to 2023.. only two types rn...rest will come one day..fingers crossed

......To tell you the truth, ORT wasn't one of the "Strongest Species" that received the distress call sent to Earth.
    Shouldn't that be sent from earth? Gaia is the one dying, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Allwerk View Post
    Shouldn't that be sent from earth? Gaia is the one dying, right?
    That's right, bad typo. That happens very occassionally when I change around the structure/wording choices mid-translation, combined with very limited proofreading time.

No clue how I didn't catch that on the final proofread, but it's fixed now.

Thank you for speaking up about the mistake and being nice about it
    Last edited by kotodamaTL; July 11th, 2023 at 12:41 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by My Twitter, it's just a place where I repost cute animals and fan art to be honest.
    https://twitter.com/kotodamaTL?t=2i0UNTnO99eOSH8JMeVjLw&s=09