Thread: Beast's Lair Archival Status

Beast's Lair Archival Status

The Internet Archive does what they can, but there's no guarantee that they'll exist a decade or two from now. In that light, I try to keep personal backups of sites that I might want to look back on twenty or thirty years from now.

I'm unfamiliar with the vBulletin backend - how difficult would it be to make a tar of the public-facing part of the website? Essentially, a dump of everything that can be seen as a guest on the forum - stripping out PMs, user information, and so on.

If that's unfeasible, a script to archive specific threads would take care of most of what I care about; I think Calibre has a plugin that can grab from Xenforo - I could look into seeing if it can be made to work with vBulletin.

HSTP 500 Internal S ervant  Error aldeayeah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Simply iterating over https://forums.nrvnqsr.com/showthread.php/<number>/page<number> would get you most of the content.

I once half wrote a python script using BeautifulSoup that would just dump of BL's text content into a yuge structured text file

I even managed to make it login as myself IIRC? I'll look around, see if I can find it

i was going to use it to be able to easily search the forum, as the integrated search is such a piece of shit
    Last edited by aldeayeah; November 11th, 2021 at 12:59 PM.
    don't quote me on this

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    I am not sure about a front end option, but we have a back end cron job that makes a SQL dump of the forum daily going back 30 days. If the forum croaks but the server's still available, we'll have that as an option to restore everything.

Feel free to back up what you want in your own time though for your own purposes.
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.