Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 478910 LastLast

Thread: World History Discussion

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    God save the Franks
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

Banned
    Blog Entries
    you know all those games with multiple, joinable rival factions, and a lot of people do a lot of thinking trying to make the "best RP"? Don't. Why? Because this guy:

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle Nanashi(kari)'s Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Speaking of the Franks sometime ago I realized due the method of succession I mentioned last page royal houses in regions the Franks didn't conquer (Iberia, Britain, Hungary and Bohemia) became of franking origin in the male line which is something I don't like aesthetically speaking.
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
    My opinion is better than your opinion, so it isn't up for debate. Much like Daybit, I am simply correct, and that is the end of the discussion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gosserbam View Post
    I am not a shitposter at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrikow View Post
    Impressive argument.

Mine, however, is superior: you are dumb.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevkraken View Post
    And you want to be taken seriously?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubergeneral View Post
    The planet is on fire.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirishima View Post
    GOT DICK? ANY PENIS? COCK DONATIONS?

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle Nanashi(kari)'s Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Recently, I realized that apparently only the Greeks (which passed it to the Romans and thus to Europe), Chinese (which passed it to East Asia) and Muslim invented history as a literary genre. Every other literary culture only had songs commemorating the feats of kings, short barebones chronicles and/or king lists.
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
    My opinion is better than your opinion, so it isn't up for debate. Much like Daybit, I am simply correct, and that is the end of the discussion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gosserbam View Post
    I am not a shitposter at all.
    Impressive argument.

Mine, however, is superior: you are dumb.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevkraken View Post
    And you want to be taken seriously?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubergeneral View Post
    The planet is on fire.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirishima View Post
    GOT DICK? ANY PENIS? COCK DONATIONS?

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    It's likely the Muslims got it from the Greeks as well. The Islamic scholarship inherited a lot of its academic literature from them.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nanashi(kari) View Post
    Recently, I realized that apparently only the Greeks (which passed it to the Romans and thus to Europe), Chinese (which passed it to East Asia) and Muslim invented history as a literary genre. Every other literary culture only had songs commemorating the feats of kings, short barebones chronicles and/or king lists.
    Depends on what you mean by "literary" genre, really. Don't underestimate oral literature - it was used to record *a lot* of things, certainly far more than that reductive description.

Blog Entries
    If you're more interested in the actual context of his post, "literary" is meant in the explicit sense there, as in involving the written word. There's also within there the notion of history, that is, a mode of inquiry (istoria) into the past: that's where the point is. Cross-culturally, it's a fairly rare thing. Obviously every group of people in some way created a record of the past, written or otherwise. That's not history.
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

Well, yeah, that's my point: that when talking about History or Literature, "literary" *shouldn't* be taken stricto sensu (even if it has been for most of history), and that the distinction between "recording" and "inquiring" isn't as strong as one might assume at first glance.

ETA: This isn't meant as criticism or dismissal of History or its study, of course! I'm just saying, I agree with Jenkins's view that "history" and "story" aren't dissimilar, and I don't see that as a bad thing.
    Last edited by SpoonyViking; November 8th, 2023 at 06:19 PM.

Blog Entries
    It's useful, academically and culturally, to consider that there was a peculiar form of writing about the past that emerged in some societies and not in others. An erasure of distinctions doesn't inherently benefit anyone, even as we contextualise those distinctions. For Jenkins (this isn't a groundbreaking definition), history is a discourse: that we can point to certain peoples and places in the world for whom and where this discourse was more active and self-conscious is a useful thing. Thus, we can start to ask questions about why the ancient Greeks and ancient Chinese developed a similar, discursive method of looking at the past and why that method spread to neighbouring cultures. Then we're really in the rabbit hole.

Oh, don't worry, I'm well aware he's not groundbreaking! It's been, what, 10 years since his last book? More?
    But yeah, OK, that's a fair point; it's important to keep distinctions in mind.
    Is there a consensus, then, or at least a leading theory on why Greek and Chinese historiographies are different from, say, Babylonian or Egyptian?

Blog Entries
    It's likely the Muslims got it from the Greeks as well. The Islamic scholarship inherited a lot of its academic literature from them.
    It's more of a Biblical approach to history inherited from early Christians and Jewish writers.
    Check out the officialTM Create-a-Servant discord server

Blindfold your eyes, so that the approaching night may strike no fear in you.
    Let it not burden your soul, nor numb your strides.

Blog Entries
    Average Greek history literature topic:
    "This West Asian tribe is descended from Great Greek Hero Leukimiacus, the Schytian carpet trader down the street told me so."

Average Chinese history literature topic:
    "The ritual practice of using chop sticks to decide land bureaucracy originates from Emperor Shu being pranked by his nephew."

Average Muslim history literature topic:
    "5 pages long genealogy of Genghis Khan's ancestors traced back to Prophet Adam."
    Check out the officialTM Create-a-Servant discord server

Blindfold your eyes, so that the approaching night may strike no fear in you.
    Let it not burden your soul, nor numb your strides.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoonyViking View Post
    Oh, don't worry, I'm well aware he's not groundbreaking! It's been, what, 10 years since his last book? More?
    But yeah, OK, that's a fair point; it's important to keep distinctions in mind.
    Is there a consensus, then, or at least a leading theory on why Greek and Chinese historiographies are different from, say, Babylonian or Egyptian?
    I wish that I knew! For Greece, one naturally has to wonder about the co-development of materialist natural philosophies and similarly "scientific" thinking about history. Scientist-historians in the vein of Carl Sagan would have it that "free thought" naturally leads to scientific, analytical thinking, which still holds a lot of popular sway, but it doesn't offer any solid material explanation or causality.

Indeed! The potential link to the material sciences is intriguing, though.

Blog Entries
    Only just learnt Cleopatra was mid, feeling shook
    IYKYK

Blog Entries
    No such thing as calling a beautiful Mediterranean nose "mid."

Blog Entries
    But the jaw... the forehead... it's so much... the world has lied to me my entire life...
    IYKYK

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't put as much stock in coinage-as-representation before very modern times. The coin die used to make standard coins in the ancient world were hand-engraved and imprecise, and the results consistently inconsistent: no two coins are alike. It's a bit like when you're baking cookies and make a cute design in the dough, then once you've baked them the cute design is totally unrecognisable.

Blog Entries
    I will take heart... crazy that her nose was erased from pop culture though
    IYKYK

Yes, qwhite a mystery. '-'

- - - Updated - - -

For what it's worth, there are some conflicting sources? Some do say she was exceptionally beautiful, but they often (maybe always?) use that to slander her as some kind of evil temptress who led Mark Antony astray with her seductive wiles; others say she wasn't as beautiful as Mark Antony's wife, but more than made up for it with her force of personality. So, you know... Eh.