Thread: BLOCK JUMPER

Blog Entries

BLOCK JUMPER

I made a game. It's called Block Jumper.

It was (kind of) hastily made, using one of the Godot example projects as a basis. Only the assets and the basic jump and physics codes were used, as everything else is stuff I pasted together.

Overall, it took a week of work, but it was more like two to three days with a lot of breaks because of daily life.

It should take you about 10~15 mins if you don't get snagged at any part of the game, but even then it's incredibly short, 5 screens only.

The song is "U U D D L R L R A B Select Start", by Deftones.

Download link: ****************************drive/folde..._D?usp=sharing

I'd appreciate it if you play it and tell me what you think.

Also, I didn't really know how to implement a fullscreen switch that blended well with the game, so the only way to exit out is to ALT-Tab and just close it. There's also no win screen, but I think that's superflous so I decided not to add it. It's totally not because I had no idea how to put it in and wanted to move on to another project, nor is it because I have no idea of how to make UI stuffs that also doesn't break with the camera's movement. Totally not the reason.
    Last edited by Ideofago; November 18th, 2021 at 11:40 PM.
    Call me 想φαγω.
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooncake View Post
    I get this vague feeling from your posts that you're looking down on people who don't share your view, which is what it is, but at least take a moment to snort some common sense between those hits of pretension.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
    My opinion is better than your opinion, so it isn't up for debate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun
    Telling us that you're rich is not going to make anyone stop laughing at you for believing in self-insert NTR.
    Quote Originally Posted by ResidentSeagull View Post
    You seriously underestimate the human potential for wanting to fuck stuff, my dude.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan
    Welcome to BL, new user. Don't forget to fate/stay mad

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I played it a little bit, though quickly got stuck in trying to get out of the lowest level.

As charming as the music was, it was a bit too loud (and un-adjustable) for me to comfortably feel like playing on. All things considered though, there was some 'beauty' to the way the level design worked. It sort of reminds me of Jump King, or Getting Over It.

Also, the way the blockiness of everything interacted was strangely compelling.

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Does this work on mac?

I will assume no, but it's worth asking.
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    no, only on petri
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

Blog Entries
    My bad, it doesn't work on mac as is, the build is windows only. If you really feel like playing, I can compile a mac version though, it's very easy. Also, petri, would you appreciate it if I added a volume slider? It really didn't occur to me, I just wanted to get the thing out fast. Also, I checked everything and the game is beatable, I may have just made it a bit too tough. The way the lowest level works is that you go up the right path, which is made to be accessible with the simple jump only, then you get the walljump item, where you now have to go to the left path. The way you ascend the left path is that you walljump on the platform's side, and keep holding the left arrow to make it to the top of the platform. If that's not the issue, just tell me which it is and I'll check what you have to do.
    Call me 想φαγω.
    Spoiler:
    I get this vague feeling from your posts that you're looking down on people who don't share your view, which is what it is, but at least take a moment to snort some common sense between those hits of pretension.
    Telling us that you're rich is not going to make anyone stop laughing at you for believing in self-insert NTR.
    You seriously underestimate the human potential for wanting to fuck stuff, my dude.

Blog Entries
    Update: I've added a volume adjust. You press 1 to volume down, 2 to volume up. It's 1dB per press, so you'll have to mash it, but I made it so that it can be very granular. There's also a mac build now if you're still interested, mac.
    Call me 想φαγω.
    Spoiler:

Perspective makes you think you're right. Escavalien's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I tried it out for about 21 minutes, it was fun but once I made it up the lowest level twice or so I sort of put it down. Chaining wall jumps left to right in fluidity was causing me to make a small mistake here or there, and I appreciate the learning curve but playing in that sort of fluid motion for 4 more screens and even falling down to the first one was discouraging. That's not really a flaw with the game, since a lot of games like this are punishing and rely on you getting more consistent. I'd say good job from what I've cleared tbh even if it isn't much.

Blog Entries
    Thanks man, I didn't realize it was that difficult. Shows the importance of playtesting, I guess.
    Call me 想φαγω.
    Spoiler:

Blog Entries
    It could just be that I suck at these type of games at the end of the day, but it was still fun trying it out and sharing my thoughts.

Blog Entries
    I appreciate your feedback very much.
    Call me 想φαγω.
    Spoiler:

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Temflakes403 View Post
    My bad, it doesn't work on mac as is, the build is windows only. If you really feel like playing, I can compile a mac version though, it's very easy. Also, petri, would you appreciate it if I added a volume slider? It really didn't occur to me, I just wanted to get the thing out fast. Also, I checked everything and the game is beatable, I may have just made it a bit too tough. The way the lowest level works is that you go up the right path, which is made to be accessible with the simple jump only, then you get the walljump item, where you now have to go to the left path. The way you ascend the left path is that you walljump on the platform's side, and keep holding the left arrow to make it to the top of the platform. If that's not the issue, just tell me which it is and I'll check what you have to do.
    If you compile a mac version, I'll play it.
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

Blog Entries
    He did actually, it's all in the same link.

Blog Entries
    wait how do you walljump again, i can't seem to ever figure it out

Blog Entries
    jump and once you hit the side of a platform keep holding a direction key (left or right) then press jump again

Blog Entries
    ok i see. i finally got it after numerous attempts, but it's still pretty hard to pull it off enough times to actually get through the first screen...

oh well, twas an interesting game at least

Blog Entries
    Honestly it did get a bit tedious to do it that despite getting through the first screen it was clear further into the stages walljumping efficiently is super necessary so I gave up.

Blog Entries
    The funny part is, you can get through almost all of the Airdash screen with just the walljump. I didn't think it'd end up being that hard to pull off. Yet again, shows the importance of playtesting.
    Call me 想φαγω.
    Spoiler: