Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345813 ... LastLast

Thread: Lord El-Melloi II's Case Files Translation, Starting From Book 6

Actually, there's still the epilogue, which has quite a bit of plot relevance.

fantastic

Epilogue

Epilogue:

Causes and effects entangle.

Timelines converge.

Though most people cannot perceive it, they affected each other like a mass of invisible strings. Everyone follows their own path, each with their own will. They grow old and die because of a combination of causation and time.

—And yet, here, someone was gazing at these invisible strings.
    He did not know what time it was.

Though his vision told him that he was in the dark, that might not actually be the case. In a room so quiet that he even wondered whether time was flowing in it or not, he made a sound like a zombie and raised his hands into the air.

“No~ That’s wrong, Professor! Zombies need to use bug glue, and the rubber band needs a fishing rod…”

“…Hello, you’re awake, aren’t you,” someone said.

The sound of that made the young man, who had still been asleep, bolt upright. He rubbed his eyes and searched his mind for a couple of seconds for the name of the caped man before him.

“Ah, right! I don’t know you, do I?”

“Hm. I have never introduced myself to you in my memory, so the answer to that question is yes,” said the man, nodding. “I didn’t know that you could interfere with the spell from that place. The Atlas Institute’s structure is completely different from the Clock Tower’s, after all. Though the topic at hand is hardly related to the skill of the mage, it’s undoubtedly beyond the normal realm of knowledge. Who are you? (TN: A more accurate translation, meaning-wise, might be ‘who the hell are you’, but I can’t find a politer version of that)”

“I’m Flat Escardos, and this is Le Chien-kun!”

“Oi, is this the correct time to do casual introductions!? Also, what happened to my name!”

The curly-haired boy behind him let out a roar of frustration.

“There’s no need to be like that, didn’t Professor say that greetings are the basics of etiquette? Also, if it wasn’t for Le-Chien-kun’s supply of magical energy, I wouldn’t have been able to pull off that kind of intervention!”

“I never gave you permission to do that! You just took my magical energy and did whatever you wanted with it! Don’t put it as if I was also involved in this!”

“I see, so it’s the rumored El-Melloi classroom,” the man concluded, watching the arguing teenagers.

“The two of you weren’t in the village then, so you are incompatible for the reenactment. My sincerest apologies, but I suggest that the two of you acknowledge this fact.”

“What does that mean?”

“It means exactly what I said it meant.”

As he said that, he turned around to look at the floating crystal ball by his side. The sphere reflected a dim scene, which the man had just been looking at.

Seeing the two blurry silhouettes there, Flat’s eyes widened.

“Professor! Gray?!”

“…Though, I never imagined that this would happen. Though I had prepared many scripts and endured many endings, I never predicted that such a scene would unfold.”

The man slowly narrowed his eyes.

“The mystery I have presented is extremely simple. If all goes according to plan, they will solve that mystery. They’ll investigate the girl that died there, why she died, and why at that time. They’ll also advance towards the ancient mystery buried in the underground graveyard. This is a common development in a detective novel. As long as the characters are assigned according to their specs(TN: capabilities? The original used the word Spec and I am confused), they’ll inevitably reach there one day. Though, that has nothing to do with whether they will succeed, as there is a rather high possibility that they will perish in the process,” said the alchemist.

“Oh yes, it could also be because of you. Just in case, you were wondering, I’m not blaming you for anything. It is inevitable that a play will change due to the accidents caused by the stage or the actors, and the audience’s reaction will only change with it. However, a play without incidents, though perfect, is completely lifeless. A show acted by living creatures and for living creatures should at least be alive.”

What he said was completely incomprehensible.

Those words were already complete in that man’s mind. They were not especially woven for others to hear, and there was no way for someone to perceive what it actually meant. It was unlikely that anyone who could understand what that man said would appear even in the next couple of centuries.

“Though... Ah… Exceptions, how nostalgic.” It was the voice of someone who had gotten carried away in something enchanting.

No matter when it was, Zepia Eltnam Atlasia was always gazing at [that].
    The light emitting from Add dissipated quickly.

I was still frozen in place.

My mentor also held his breath because of what he saw. The figure that had suddenly appeared in front of us had that sort of an impact.

It was a knight in shining silver armor, almost like he was pulled straight from a fairy tale—

“…Oi.”

The knight raised his sword and sighed.

The blade flashed through the air.

The strike was fast and ferocious, almost like the claws of a beast.

Slashes of silver streaked through the darkness and knocked down the bone soldiers that had charged over in an instant.

“What a capricious guy. What was that, a forced summoning? There has to be some limit to how rude a person can be. Is that the reason why this spiritual core of mine is incomplete?”

His figure was very blurry.

I suppose he was some sort of Servant-like spirit. However, different from the Faker who we had met before, he could not properly materialize. Both his armor and his skin looked as if they were surrounded by a heavy haze.

“You could have called any one of those other knights(nerds), why does it have to be someone like me, who thinks that Heroic Spirits should all just go to hell? I’m not a hardcore knight, neither am I one of those employees-of-the-month.(TN: Not that he would have actually used that phrase, I just thought it conveyed the meaning best) I only have the strength of about three of these guys. Though, if you’re putting me up against some sort of brain-dead giant, I could cut his head off with my silver tongue alone,” mumbled the knight as he took out the bone soldiers one by one with skillful strikes.

He was strong. Though he didn’t have the unnatural physical prowess of Faker, he still had an incredible amount of skill. It was the sort of ability that only someone who had had formal training for years and had fought countless battles would possess.

“Ah, wait, did I get something wrong. So you’re the one who summoned me. Your structure doesn’t allow you to manipulate magical energy, but you still did it. What a devoted guy.”

The knight lowered his head to look at the scythe in my hands— Add, who was still asleep.

“…Who... Are you?”

In response to my question he shrugged exaggeratedly. “Ihihihihi! You’re asking who I am? Don’t be so mean, haven’t we been friends for ages, idiot Gray?”

Hearing that voice, I was stunned.

Because the one who said that sentence was not the sleeping Add, but the knight in front of me.

The knight raised one hand and patted his temples.

“Ow. I’ve slept for too long, so I’ve gotten a bit mixed up. I wasn’t always like this, but never mind. After all, there’s no need to be exactly like the original, and only natural to adapt to your surroundings as a human.”

The knight casually turned around and slashed with his sword, and more bone soldiers fell.

“And would you look at that, we look like we’re from the same generation. What a ridiculous turnout.”

As he said that, a strange feeling arose within me. It was a mixture of excitement, and a feeling of deja vu (??).

The only friend I ever had in this village. The one who always teased me and had called me “Idiot Gray” countless times.

Why did I get reminded of that when I saw the knight in front of me? Perhaps it was because every movement and every sentence that he uttered made me feel an indescribable nostalgia.

“Either way, I suppose you should remember the name Kay for now.”

A smile appeared on the hazy face of the knight.

Then, I remembered a legend.

One of the oaths that I took in the Seal of Thirteen.

Sir Kay— The name of the adoptive brother of King Arthur.
    -End of Epilogue of Book 6-
    —————————————————————————————————————————————————— ——

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Good work. Impressive speed, I must say.

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle Ubergeneral's Avatar
    Just so I understand book 5 doesn't have a full translation yet correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Ubergeneral View Post
    Just so I understand book 5 doesn't have a full translation yet correct?
    Nope, not yet. I might do the rest of that book after I finish doing the Contract of Atlas arc, which'll take me about a month if I continue at the same speed I was going at. Book 5's not incredibly high on my list of priorities though because the major plot stuff has been covered in the anime (albeit in a way that omits a lot of detail), so I might also do Grand Roll first...? I haven't decided.

Is volume 6 really only 4 chapters?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Ugh cokesakto no no no
    Quote Originally Posted by Neir View Post
    your ability to be wrong about literally everything you post is truly astounding. Even a broken clock is right twice a day, but you haven't been right once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kateikyo View Post
    The gay pics were the most entertaining thing going on in this discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by fumei View Post
    Is volume 6 really only 4 chapters?
    Yep. Books 3 and 9 actually only have 3 chapters (I think)

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Both Adventures volumes are also 4 chapters.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Who are you? (TN: A more accurate translation, meaning-wise, might be ‘who the hell are you’, but I can’t find a politer version of that)”
    "Just who might you be?", perhaps?
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

Thank you very much for all of this.

Wings of the Sunlit Sky Hermitfold's Avatar
    Thanks for all your great work!

will someone someone make a pdf or epub out of this? i know i can do it by myself, but if it's just for me i'll probably just copy and paste everything without nice formatting and call it a day

Afterword

By Makoto Sanda

All humans will inevitably die one day.

Death is the endless abyss that everyone must witness at the end of their lives.

That is the way the word is defined. The “palace after death” is “a window for the present”, and so a grave is simply a tiny, artificial underworld.

The story has finally advanced to this point.

Gray’s hometown was mentioned as early as the first book. This chapter finally got close to the secrets behind the graveyard that was related to that legendary hero.

The concept of a grave is common across people, but they vary surprisingly depending on the culture. Obviously, differences in religion will affect them, but besides that, graves will change depending on the proximity of the graveyard, the concept of mourning, the location, whether there is a water source or not, or even the social hierarchy (TN: pretty sure that sentence wasn’t structurally sound but you get what I’m trying to say here so I don’t care). Even in the present, graves and funerals are some of the types of magecraft that people are most familiar with. Besides that, did the character that had a guest appearance in this book surprise anyone? There must be a bunch of people who read this and thought “Wait, isn’t that one of the twenty-seven ancestors…?”

For that reason, I’ll be going over some deeper and spoiler-heavy content, so allow me to make a separate section.

——SPOILERS—— (TN: For Tsukihime and stuff. I have not read/played Tsukihime. Oh and also all the brackets below, unless marked, were originally there in the text.)

The director of the Atlas Institute, Zepia Eltnam Oberon (or Atlasia), was originally one of the twenty-seven special vampires known as the Dead Apostle Ancestors in Tsukihime.

Though, as has been already touched on in earlier works like the drama CD that came with the volume of Chaldea ACE recently and the Bamboo Broom diaries, the universe in Fate is fundamentally different from the Tsukihime universe.

Speaking of that, it really was a big surprise… After all, Kinoko had already chosen all the authors for the spin-off works way before the first book of Case Files was finished. Now, time for a reenactment of what happened (all the lines of the authors have been completed).

Kinoko: Actually, the twenty-seven Ancestors didn’t become the twenty-seven Ancestors in the Fate universe.

Authors: ……………!!!!???? (All freeze, speechless)

Kinoko: Only the Tsukihime universe allows for them to become the twenty-seven Ancestors. On that note, doesn’t Tsukihime not have the sort of extremely powerful familiars like Servants?

Sanda: What about CM—!?

Kinoko: That thing gets destroyed because of the destruction of the Human Order. Oh, also, Narita’s Fake is different, because it’s a special middle ground between the two.

Narita: O-Oh, uh, t-thanks…?

Kinoko: But Sanda’ll have to pay attention for the Case Files. It’s kind of a long story, but this part in Tsukihime R….

Sanda: Waitwaitwait! Kinoko, wait! Please first organize some notes about this for everyone!

Kinoko: Come on… so annoying. Speaking of which, this pizza’s pretty good.

Higashide: Oh ho ho, either way, my work is already done, so take your time.

Sakurai (carefully): …It also seems to not affect me at the moment, huh.

There probably hasn’t been a day that shocked me that much since then. Ah, no, I do remember that…

If you read it along with the fourth book of Fake, you might be able to tell that there’s something different between the two universes. Comparing world settings with Narita and others and playing spot-the-difference is as enjoyable as the experience the night before a cultural festival.
    ——END OF SPOILER——

We have finally entered the run-up to the finale.

For that reason, the theme of the story has changed slightly. At the beginning, I made sure that the cases could basically be viewed as free-standing stories, but starting from this book, all the stories will be based on previous ones. If you’re purchasing Case Files books for the first time, please take note of this.

The Case Files of Lord El-Melloi, which I started writing during the fervor of the Type-Moon festival, is accelerating towards the Fifth Holy Grail War in F/SN. I hope to be able to catch up with it.

Besides that, I think many of you already know of the manga version of the Case Files that will be published on Young Ace. The author/illustrator is Azuma Tou. I was once enthralled by the art style of Arashi no Hana Murakumo no Uta (TN: A manga, translates roughly to Flower of the Storm, Song of the Clouds), so I was very surprised when I heard the announcement.

And finally, I would like to thank Sakamoto Mineji for illustrating this gloomier book in the Case Files, Miwa Kiyomune for helping me confirm many of the details in this book, Narita Ryogo for supervising(TN:?) the lines for Flat, as well as Kinoko, Takeuchi, and all the workers from Type-Moon.

Of course, I also need to thank all of the people who have purchased this book.

The next book should be completed in the winter.

June 2017, while reading In/Spectre by Shirodaira Kyo and Katase Chashiba
    -End of Afterword of Book 6-

US Friend Code
    Thank you for all of this!

The CM that Nasu told Sanda to forget about, that's one of the CM books not Crimson Moon, right?

Aaaand I've made an epub also for anyone who prefers that here: ****************************file/d/13oE...ew?usp=sharing

The formatting is a bit off and there's an awkward bit of book 7 in there but it works so I didn't bother changing it

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Reign View Post

The CM that Nasu told Sanda to forget about, that's one of the CM books not Crimson Moon, right?
    I actually have absolutely no idea what that's supposed to refer to so...

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors AAM1232's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Reign View Post

Yes.

Book sevennnnnnn--
    Prologue

The cover! (the best cover in my opinion)

Also the cover...?

The characters! From left to right and bottom to top: Flat Escardos, a student of the department of Modern Magecraft in the Clock Tower; Svin Glascheit, a student of the department of Modern Magecraft in the Clock Tower; Zepia Eltnam Atlasia, the Director of the Atlas Institute, Dead Apostle; Illumia, a nun of the village church; Bersac, the Gravekeeper of Blackmore Graveyard, Gray, the disciple of Lord El-Melloi II; Lord El-Melloi, the Lord of the department of Modern Magecraft in the Clock Tower.

Ever since I was old enough to remember things, I knew that footsteps can convey emotion.

For example, pit-pattering footsteps of a lively crowd.

Quiet footsteps, hushed like a prayer.

And footsteps that revealed a trace of sadness beneath the cacophony of noise.

Since most people didn’t realize how much footsteps could disclose, it was even easier to understand their feelings this way. Ah, for someone like me, who wasn’t good at talking to people, a person’s footsteps could tell me more about them than a conversation.

My parents had two types of footsteps.

One when they showed love toward me, and one when they worshipped me.

Gradually, the latter began to become more prevalent. There was a fateful change around ten years ago. …In this situation, maybe you could call it fatal.

The footsteps changed little by little every morning.

From the day it had been announced, when the footsteps were somewhat clumsy but full of joy.

To the sort of reverent footsteps that sounded like those of a devotee receiving the will of the gods.

When had the aroma of bread started sending chills down my spine? When had warm soup and fresh salads started making me feel estranged? Most of all, when since had they started worrying about every tiny expression I made as I ate, making the urge to bawl my eyes out rise within me?

Actually, I knew.

It began sometime around ten years ago.

When my body had started transforming in an alarming way, and when the villagers had begun calling me the blessed child. There were already hardly any people around my age who I could talk to, and after that happened, there were none left.

After my father passed away, my mother had begun fussing about my life more, managing not only prayer and meals but also the order in which I ate things and how I dressed. My attitude towards my surroundings was naturally influenced by her.

…Ah, no.

There was still someone.

Even in this kind o situation, I had one friend.

That guy didn’t have feet, so he didn’t have footsteps. However, it neither ran from me nor worshipped me.

“Crying again, Idiot Gray.”

The box in a birdcage that always talked like this. The sealing Mystic Code (?) that had been awakened to replace all I had lost during my transformation. And now—
    -End of Prologue of Book 7-

Thanks a lot!
    By the way, are there any charts, maps or schemes (like Map of Rail Zeppelin in vol4) among the pics in vol6 and onward? I couldn't find them anywhere for some reason.

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle All fictions's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    There's the map of Gray's village.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    Punching out some nerd doesn't make you a better magus.