Page 49 of 70 FirstFirst ... 394447484950515459 ... LastLast

Thread: Fate/Stay Night [Realta Nua] - Ultimate Edition - 2022

Quote Originally Posted by FaterouteSaiko View Post
    isn't there supposed to be other thing in that file as well though
    Only the specified files should be transferred to the folder.

Quote Originally Posted by FaterouteSaiko View Post
    I understand that, however I don't see the file labeled ux0:/fsnrnue
    ux0:/ is the "drive name" of your Vita, like C:/ on PC. After you transfer the files to your vita you need to make sure to move them to the ux0:/fsnrnue folder using Vitashell.

Resident straight-male kuutsundere NM64's Avatar
    Over in the old "Mirror Moon TL insertion patch" thread, I've been reminded again that the installer doesn't work on Win7 despite even the VN working on Vista SP2.

In particular, there's a user over in that thread that ruled out using Ultimate Edition because they have Windows 7 32bit (considering the use of 32bit, it's extremely likely to be an older PC with less than 4GB of RAM anyway).

EDIT: That being said, I can at least confirm that the installer EXE itself will launch on Hiren's BootPE CD as well as WINE v8.x on Linux (Mint in my case) which could work as a solution for users that only have access to either Linux, a Steam Deck, or older versions of Windows, though I have not tested the actual patching process of the installer at this time.

Considering that the system requirements from Jack's original "Ultimate Edition" thread never made it over, I don't suppose there's a possibility of including a mention of system requirements of some sort in the first post? The ones in Jack's post (which were put together by me) should still be accurate with the exception that the Installer no longer works on Windows 7.

Quote Originally Posted by Baxoik View Post
    I don't have a PC
    I realize your situation with the Vita version has been resolved, and you know your access-to-PC situation better than me, but I do just want to mention that, other than the OS requirements, this can run on absolute junker of PC by modern standards - we're talking PC hardware that's literally 2 decades old by now.

So while the Vita is possibly your preferred way, I do just want to ask if you or someone you know really doesn't have an old PC made within the last 2 decades buried away in a closet that presumably still works but was put there because it was "old and slow"?
    Last edited by NM64; March 2nd, 2023 at 01:50 AM.
    HELP WANTED - Contact me if you know the original source of this song:

Quote Originally Posted by NM64 View Post
    Over in the old "Mirror Moon TL insertion patch" thread, I've been reminded again that the installer doesn't work on Win7 despite even the VN working on Vista SP2.

In particular, there's a user over in that thread that ruled out using Ultimate Edition because they have Windows 7 32bit (considering the use of 32bit, it's extremely likely to be an older PC with less than 4GB of RAM anyway).

EDIT: That being said, I can at least confirm that the installer EXE itself will launch on Hiren's BootPE CD as well as WINE v8.x on Linux (Mint in my case) which could work as a solution for users that only have access to either Linux, a Steam Deck, or older versions of Windows, though I have not tested the actual patching process of the installer at this time.

Considering that the system requirements from Jack's original "Ultimate Edition" thread never made it over, I don't suppose there's a possibility of including a mention of system requirements of some sort in the first post? The ones in Jack's post (which were put together by me) should still be accurate with the exception that the Installer no longer works on Windows 7.
    I believe putting a system requirements is a bad idea because most of the time, they aren't actually being tested so they may not be accurate.
    (If there was a way to automate provisioning an old OS and testing on it, that would be great, actually.)

For reference, my machine I use for daily use is a Intel Core 2 Duo T8100 running Ubuntu 22.04, and Wine 8.0 is being used.

Quote Originally Posted by Alyinghood View Post
    I believe putting a system requirements is a bad idea because most of the time, they aren't actually being tested so they may not be accurate.
    It could at least be something like a "known working" with a note saying that older stuff is unknown. I mean, surely people are at least launching a given version on some semi-recent version of Windows, right? Or are we actually all Linux nerds in here?

It could also at least make mention that the requirements for the installer differ for those for the VN itself, i.e. a pre-made copy of Ultimate Edition can still work even if the installer fails to run.

And of course, if there's even at least a single mention of Windows 10, then even a mention of Hiren's BootCD PE for slightly more advanced users could be a viable option as I alluded to (at least for the initial installation process anyway).

For reference, my machine I use for daily use is a Intel Core 2 Duo T8100 running Ubuntu 22.04, and Wine 8.0 is being used.
    That's... a peculiar choice of a daily-driver for someone that has made it clear that they had the means for purchasing a Steam Deck.

The only reason I can think of is that you're wanting to avoid Intel management engine while sticking with a specific model of laptop (e.g. Thinkpad) that was not available with AMD A-series processors (which were the newest x86 CPUs that lack the likes of management engine or ARM trustzone).

Or something like you wanted a 16:10 display combined with physical left/right click buttons below the touchpad, or you really like how some laptops of that era had a physical up/down/left/right scroll button between the left and right click buttons. Or maybe it's just something related to coreboot/libreboot?
    Last edited by NM64; March 2nd, 2023 at 02:04 AM.

It could at least be something like a "known working" with a note saying that older stuff is unknown. I mean, surely people are at least launching a given version on some semi-recent version of Windows, right? Or are we actually all Linux nerds in here?

It could also at least make mention that the requirements for the installer differ for those for the VN itself, i.e. a pre-made copy of Ultimate Edition can still work even if the installer fails to run.

And of course, if there's even at least a single mention of Windows 10, then even a mention of Hiren's BootCD PE for slightly more advanced users could be a viable option as I alluded to (at least for the initial installation process anyway).
    Sure, I guess.

That's... a peculiar choice of a daily-driver for someone that has made it clear that they had the means for purchasing a Steam Deck.

The only reason I can think of is that you're wanting to avoid Intel management engine while sticking with a specific model of laptop (e.g. Thinkpad) that was not available with AMD A-series processors (which were the newest x86 CPUs that lack the likes of management engine or ARM trustzone).

Or something like you wanted a 16:10 display combined with physical left/right click buttons on the touchpad. Or maybe even just something related to coreboot/libreboot?
    The primary reason is parts availability. I have a ton of parts for my current machine after the current company I work for replaced them with new machines.

Sure, I guess.
    An abbreviated mention of my "secret compatibility tips" could also be included, basically just saying that not using an HD graphics patch and/or disabling in-game movies may improve compatibility with older operating systems.

The primary reason is parts availability. I have a ton of parts for my current machine after the current company I work for replaced them with new machines.
    Well, if you ever need a newer laptop that's just as repairable as many 2000s and early 2010s laptops were, there's always the Framework Laptop.

(fun fact: I also have way more mid-to-late 2000s AMD desktop hardware than I know what to do with, but it's certainly useful for testing and replacement, and it's nice that they commonly have ECC support)

Is that a 64 bit exe I see?

any detail on the fbates retranslation option? I didn't see any mention in the readme. Will the VN switch over to the older english translation once you hit HF?
    I shut my eyes in order to see~

Quote Originally Posted by justinefremlouw View Post
    any detail on the fbates retranslation option? I didn't see any mention in the readme. Will the VN switch over to the older english translation once you hit HF?
    Yeah, if you have the Retranslation selected it seems to use the Mirror Moon translation for anything that is still missing.

Quote Originally Posted by Quibi View Post
    Aspect ratios other than 4:3 and 16:9 can show glitches in the effects. Stick to the two main aspect ratios for the best experience.
    I don't recall if this was in the opening post previously, but isn't this "known issue" incorrect? It was my impression that only ratios taller than 4:3 or wider than 16:9 were problematic, or can ratios between 4:3 and 16:9 also cause issues?

EDIT: According to archive.org's wayback machine, all of the "known issues" appear to have been added to the opening post sometime between 2022-08-22 and 2022-10-05, presumably coinciding with the release of either v1.1.1 or v1.1.2

Quote Originally Posted by Quibi View Post
    Don't bother with "patch_hd_3200.xp3" - we added it for completeness' sake, but it will not run smoothly on any system
    Also, it was my impression that the issue with the "UNSTABLE" hd_2400 and hd_3200 patches was due to the lack of a 64bit EXE. Since a 64bit EXE is now included, wouldn't that solve this issue? Or is there more to that issue?
    Last edited by NM64; March 4th, 2023 at 02:34 PM.

I don't recall if this was in the opening post previously, but isn't this "known issue" incorrect? It was my impression that only ratios taller than 4:3 or wider than 16:9 were problematic, or can ratios between 4:3 and 16:9 also cause issues?
    It was in the previous version's opening post as well, yes. It's just as the text states - all window ratios outside of 4:3 and 16:9 will show minor glitches for the effects based on rule images. For these to work correctly, they need to be in exactly the size of the ingame resolution. Only 4:3 and 16:9 have dedicated assets available for their specific ratio.

Also, it was my impression that the issue with the "UNSTABLE" hd_2400 and hd_3200 patches was due to the lack of a 64bit EXE. Since a 64bit EXE is now included, wouldn't that solve this issue? Or is there more to that issue?
    It was unstable even with the 64-bit EXE before, just not due to memory constraints. We fixed the bugs we were aware of, so 64-bit *might* work now, but until people have played the whole game with x64 to confirm, we can't know for sure. So 2400 and 3200 are potentially not unstable anymore, just not recommended because of performance reasons. (I wonder if an overclocked 13900K could handle 3200 wide mode at 60 fps...)

Oh hey Quibi, just to confirm, you did actually test the new installer on Win7 rather than just assuming it works, right?

I only ask because it doesn't work on my slightly-borky, not fully-updated installation of Win7 SP1 that I imported into VirtualBox from my old SSD before I moved over to Linux Mint, and I wanted to make sure the installer not working is due to my OS installation being slightly borky and/or not fully updated rather than some actual issue with the installer.

Quote Originally Posted by Bohemian Waxwing View Post
    minor glitches for the effects based on rule images. For these to work correctly, they need to be in exactly the size of the ingame resolution. Only 4:3 and 16:9 have dedicated assets available for their specific ratio.
    I don't suppose you can give an example?

I wonder if an overclocked 13900K could handle 3200 wide mode at 60 fps...
    Do we know if this is something heavy on memory bandwidth whereby a Ryzen X3D chip could possibly greatly accelerate it? An easy way to find out is to simply run system RAM at different speeds and/or fewer channels - the greater the performance difference, the bigger of an impact that having a big CPU cache would help.

Oh hey Quibi, just to confirm, you did actually test the new installer on Win7 rather than just assuming it works, right?

I only ask because it doesn't work on my slightly-borky, not fully-updated installation of Win7 SP1 that I imported into VirtualBox from my old SSD before I moved over to Linux Mint, and I wanted to make sure the installer not working is due to my OS installation being slightly borky and/or not fully updated rather than some actual issue with the installer.
    I confirmed. I indeed had issues with a basic SP1, so added these updates, after which it started working:

Windows6.1-KB2670838-x64.msu
    Includes updates to the following components: Direct2D, DirectWrite, Direct3D, Windows Imaging Component (WIC), Windows Advanced Rasterization Platform (WARP), Windows Animation Manager (WAM), XPS Document API , the H.264 Video Decoder and the JPEG XR Codec.

Windows6.1-KB3020369-x64.msu
    April 2015 servicing stack update

Windows6.1-KB3033929-x64.msu
    SHA-2 code signing support

Windows6.1-KB3118401-x64.msu
    Allows desktop applications that depend on the Windows 10 Universal CRT (C Runtime) release to run on earlier Windows operating systems.

Windows6.1-KB3125574-v4-x64.msu
    Convenience rollup update

Windows6.1-KB3140245-x64.msu
    Update to enable TLS 1.1 and TLS 1.2 as default secure protocols in WinHTTP

Windows6.1-KB4012212-x64.msu
    Security updates to Windows DVD Maker, Microsoft Graphics Component, Windows kernel-mode drivers, Windows Media Player, Microsoft XML Core Services, Windows OS, SHA-1 deprecation for SSL/TLS certificates, Windows kernel, Microsoft Uniscribe, SMB Server, Windows Hyper-V, Internet Information Services, and Active Directory Federation Services.

Windows6.1-KB4499175-x64.msu
    Security updates to Windows App Platform and Frameworks, Microsoft Graphics Component, Windows Storage and Filesystems, Windows Cryptography, Windows Wireless Networking, Windows Kernel, Windows Server, and the Microsoft JET Database.
    Provides protections against a new subclass of speculative execution side-channel vulnerabilities, known as Microarchitectural Data Sampling, for 64-Bit (x64) versions of Windows.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't suppose you can give an example?
    Well if you don't notice them, all the better. You'll never be able to unsee them if I point them out.

Do we know if this is something heavy on memory bandwidth whereby a Ryzen X3D chip could possibly greatly accelerate it? An easy way to find out is to simply run system RAM at different speeds and/or fewer channels - the greater the performance difference, the bigger of an impact that having a big CPU cache would help.
    I run the game only in 1600 non-wide, so I don't really worry much about such things. ^^

The bottleneck with higher resolutions is the rendering code not handling splitting jobs very well.

I plan to attempt to resolve this using either (Skia and SwiftShader) or Blend2D.
    Last edited by Alyinghood; March 4th, 2023 at 07:48 PM.

Oh wow, new release drops just as I was starting a reread, guess I'll be doing some playtesting again.

So far I've noticed the door opening/closing effect (entering the church on day 3 for example) does not play just like in v1.1.0 except this time it affects both 4:3 and 16:9

Quote Originally Posted by Twhite90 View Post
    Oh wow, new release drops just as I was starting a reread, guess I'll be doing some playtesting again.

So far I've noticed the door opening/closing effect (entering the church on day 3 for example) does not play just like in v1.1.0 except this time it affects both 4:3 and 16:9
    This effect was still working in 1.1.2, irrespective of aspect ratio, so seems to be a more recent regression. We'll look into it.

[Edit]
    Found the cause. Looking into a fix.
    Last edited by Bohemian Waxwing; March 4th, 2023 at 10:54 PM.

Video on steamdeck still not showing, last release that worked was 1.1.1. Will do more testing tomorrow.

Is it possible to "cheat" and change the speed that the credits move at depending on whether the "normal" or "remixed" version of a credits song is selected? The "Reproduction Mix" of "Link" just isn't the correct length even if I trim out parts of the song that can be safely removed while retaining seamless-ness (doing so results in a song that's either too short or too long...) UPDATE: Figured out a way to make the song length good, so no fancy-pants changing of the credits speed will be required.

I ask because I'm finally looking into the "Reproduction Mix" of the song "Link" for the last episode credits.

At the same time, I can't help but notice that there's a "(short ver.)" which is listed in the Extra ▶ Music menu but I'm uncertain if it's even used anywhere in the actual VN story - the credits that last episode uses is the full version of "Link" for reference.

So, yeah - is "Link (short ver.)" used anywhere in the actual VN story, or not? If not, then where did it even come from? ...er, I don't mean where the actual file came from since I think it actually came from me - I just mean like, was it ever used in anything, like the PS2 version or something, or was it exclusive to the official music CD?

Quote Originally Posted by vnrando View Post
    Video on steamdeck still not showing, last release that worked was 1.1.1. Will do more testing tomorrow.
    If it's worth anything, they're working without issue on my installation of Linux Mint 20.3 with Wine 8.0 on Intel Haswell graphics.

EDIT: That being said, I am getting a completely black program window at all times with the combination of Linux Mint 21.1 with Wine 8.0 on a Radeon HD5450. I will have to do farther testing to see if this is something that can be solved with a newer version of mesa and/or a newer model AMD GPU (it's as old as Windows 7 is and therefore completely predates Vulkan, meaning no DXVK and the like).

Well if you don't notice them, all the better. You'll never be able to unsee them if I point them out.
    Understood, but I'm still kind of questioning if there really are issues when using "match desktop" with something like a 3:2 ratio - from a quick test using the very beginning of the prologue (before it switches to Rin) and the trial "demo", I saw no difference in graphical issues between "match desktop (3:2)" and "wide (16:9)".

The only notable things I saw were things that were problematic even with "Standard (4:3)", implying either a regression or a WINE bug. In particular, in the trial "demo", the part where the vertical scrolling text appears (after it zooms in on the church) is absolutely borked compared to how it's supposed to look, and the flash effects on the mirror scene just before it also looks different vs how it looks in the actual trial version.

On the subject of the trial "demo", after finding out that the PS2 version actually has a sort of "attract mode" where, after sitting on the title screen for 1 minute, it plays an OP video, I had the thought that maybe we could implement something similar, except it could play the trial "demo" instead? Thoughts on the idea?

(if implemented, the only modifications would be having it ignoring the "disable forced auto-read" setting and always being auto-read for obvious reasons, and that clicking and/or pressing any button or key would return you to the title screen, and lastly it'd probably make the most sense if it faded out and went back to the title screen right when the music ends just before it shows the system requirements and pre-order bonus information that are inapplicable anyway and should only be retained when manually viewed by select "demo" when the title screen is set to 'trial' accordingly.)
    Last edited by NM64; March 5th, 2023 at 10:13 PM.