Page 17 of 70 FirstFirst ... 7121516171819222767 ... LastLast

Thread: Fate/Stay Night [Realta Nua] - Ultimate Edition - 2022

Quote Originally Posted by kamil88 View Post
    version using this torrent link removed
    Newer than the one on the Mega?
    Last edited by Petrikow; May 19th, 2022 at 04:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimoks View Post
    Newer than the one on the Mega?
    The Mega version is the most recent version publicly released, so any other download you find will not be newer.

Resident straight-male kuutsundere NM64's Avatar
    To quote a dead meme from a sad excuse of a video game from a series I once loved before a senior game dev that's too much of a Ninja Gaiden fanboy got put in charge...

"Remember me?"

I think I've finally gotten my day-to-day Linux PC set up enough to no longer be burying my head in the sand with regards to this thread, so I just wanted to pop my head back out and say "hi" in case there's something relevant to my interests going on recently, e.g. any status report on the embedded mpv-as-default for OP video rendering? Or how about that "obscure-concept-but-I-insist-it's-a-good-improvement' 54/55 background music playback pitch & speed idea?

As mentioned elsewhere, there are certain OP things (particularly for F/ha, but also for future 1080p classic F/sn OPs) that I'm uncertain of what format to render to if the elusive embedded mpv is on the horizon but, if it's not coming any time soon, then perhaps I should just not worry about it and stick to my usual that I've done for the likes of the F/sn Vita OPs? Or, heck, should I just upload the 1+GB lossless versions and let you guys render them to whatever formats and/or bitrates desired?

Speaking of upscaled graphics, as a sort of follow-up to a post I made way back on the first page of this thread, I've come across what looks to be a sort of successor to RealSR that contain even farther improvements, perhaps to now even be able to surpass waifu2x rather than just generally match it (I'm just thinking out loud; I've not done any actual tests yet):

Oh, and one key part of my revamped setup by virtue of a Ryzen APU is that I should actually be able to create any sort of upscales and/or interpolated frames on my own now, so that'll be nice.
    HELP WANTED - Contact me if you know the original source of this song:

Quote Originally Posted by NM64 View Post
    I think I've finally gotten my day-to-day Linux PC set up enough to no longer be burying my head in the sand with regards to this thread, so I just wanted to pop my head back out and say "hi" in case there's something relevant to my interests going on recently, e.g. any status report on the embedded mpv-as-default for OP video rendering? Or how about that "obscure-concept-but-I-insist-it's-a-good-improvement' 54/55 background music playback pitch & speed idea?
    mpv will be the default and will completely replace the previous DirectShow/Windows Media Foundation based video playback in the next update.
    Music playback has not been changed yet. I'm still thinking about how to implement the shim layer without also modifying the voice playback code, since the voice files uses TCWF format which is not implemented in ffmpeg.

As mentioned elsewhere, there are certain OP things (particularly for F/ha, but also for future 1080p classic F/sn OPs) that I'm uncertain of what format to render to if the elusive embedded mpv is on the horizon but, if it's not coming any time soon, then perhaps I should just not worry about it and stick to my usual that I've done for the likes of the F/sn Vita OPs? Or, heck, should I just upload the 1+GB lossless versions and let you guys render them to whatever formats and/or bitrates desired?
    The embedded mpv code has been implemented, so you can use whichever format is supported.

Quote Originally Posted by Alyinghood View Post
    So you can use whichever format is supported.
    Alright, 192kHz 32bit lossless WavPack with 4:4:4 RGB lossless x264 here we come!

(I'm joking, but that technically should actually be feasible now... and TBH lossless audio for such short video clips takes up a relatively minuscule amount of file size, especially if you're dealing with 1080p and larger)

Music playback has not been changed yet. I'm still thinking about how to implement the shim layer without also modifying the voice playback code, since the voice files uses TCWF format which is not implemented in ffmpeg.
    Honestly I'm happy enough that you're actually considering it at all. This 54/55 music thing is a really off-the-beaten-path sort of thing that I really want more people to find out about but, being so "off-the-beaten-path", it tends to take actual real-world examples for people to actually "get" it and not just think it's yet more "audiophile snake oil" like platinum-coated optical cables or whatever (optical has a benefit in terms of side-stepping the RMI & EMI issue that audio connections are so sensitive to, but the nature of optical means that their coating and/or shielding makes no difference really).

(in some regards this 54/55 thing could even be considered "cutting edge", especially in the sense of using tech to effectively losslessly apply this to existing compositions, but supposedly some classical ~19th century Italian opera were created using the same tuning? So this may even be more of a sort of "old knowledge that was lost and has only been recently rediscovered")

I've also since realized that differences in audio as a whole is more noticeable when you are used to the better version and then try going back to the worse version, and this applies not just to plain old audio fidelity, dynamic range, etc. but also to this 54/55 thing.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kamil88 View Post
    Hello
    I ve downloaded latest version using this torrent link removed it works, but when i try to save, error message appears, i havent install it, i ve run it from folder i had torrent downloaded to https://i.postimg.cc/9VkTTKvM/FATE.jpg
    No download links to games. Read the rules.

BTW, how is audio resampling handled in the VN currently? There are a decent amount of PC setups where the final audio output is 48kHz but the stock music files are 44.1kHz, so resampling would be occurring somewhere along the chain and I'm wondering if we're doing any ourselves or if we're just passing that off to the OS to handle.

I'm still thinking about how to implement the shim layer without also modifying the voice playback code
    I may have an idea that "cheats" by leaving the code as-is and directly dealing with the actual music files, but I need you to confirm/refute something first:

Is it possible to alter the sample rate of OGG vorbis audio files without re-encoding the entire bitstream in a manner similar to how Header Investigator works for WAV files? (that program works without issue in WINE 7.x if you care)

the voice files uses TCWF format which is not implemented in ffmpeg
    Wait, are you implying that ffmpeg is used for the background music?

If so, does that mean we're actually not restricted to only OGG vorbis anymore specifically for in-engine non-OP background music?

EDIT: Or alternatively do we still require the OGG container but not specifically vorbis, e.g. Opus could work if named to .ogg?

The embedded mpv code has been implemented
    I don't suppose support for the the "2 encodes for each OP movie - an easy-to-decode ~720p version and a high-quality ~1080p version" thing I've previously mentioned (issue #138 on the git for reference) is also implemented? (save for not actually having two encodes of the OPs to work with currently; I'm just talking about the engine-support side of things)
    Last edited by NM64; May 19th, 2022 at 09:16 PM.

BTW, how is audio resampling handled in the VN currently? There are a decent amount of PC setups where the final audio output is 48kHz but the stock music files are 44.1kHz, so resampling would be occurring somewhere along the chain and I'm wondering if we're doing any ourselves or if we're just passing that off to the OS to handle.
    Audio resampling defaults to 44100Hz. This can be changed by the `-wsfreq` command line argument. See https://krkrz.github.io/krkr2doc/kr2...mmandLine.html

I may have an idea that "cheats" by leaving the code as-is and directly dealing with the actual music files, but I need you to confirm/refute something first:

Is it possible to alter the sample rate of OGG vorbis audio files without re-encoding the entire bitstream in a manner similar to how Header Investigator works for WAV files? (that program works without issue in WINE 7.x if you care)
    It may be possible to change the sample rate in the Identification Header, but I'm not too sure if this is all that is needed.

Wait, are you implying that ffmpeg is used for the background music?

If so, does that mean we're actually not restricted to only OGG vorbis anymore specifically for in-engine non-OP background music?

EDIT: Or alternatively do we still require the OGG container but not specifically vorbis, e.g. Opus could work if named to .ogg?
    Any audio codec built-in to ffmpeg and any container format built-in to ffmpeg should be supported (including Ogg Opus). File extensions are not checked, only the file contents are.

I don't suppose support for the the "2 encodes for each OP movie - an easy-to-decode ~720p version and a high-quality ~1080p version" thing I've previously mentioned (issue #138 on the git for reference) is also implemented? (save for not actually having two encodes of the OPs to work with currently; I'm just talking about the engine-support side of things)
    This is partially implemented. I plan to complete the implementation of it later.

It may be possible to change the sample rate in the Identification Header, but I'm not too sure if this is all that is needed.
    Well basically if you're able to set the OGG vorbis files to 43298Hz instead of 44100Hz then the end result should be nearly the same (technically an exact 54/55 would be 43298.181818...). And because the ogg.sli loop information relies on the amount of samples, they similarly should continue to "just work" and loop without issue.

One thing I was wondering is if the XP3 archive compression is smart enough in an LZMA-like manner whereby, if you have two files that are 99.99% identical, at least a 50% compression ratio is basically a given. I ask because, if the XP3 archive compression can operate in such a way, then even having separate copies of the OGG vorbis files hex-edited or whatever to 43298Hz wouldn't cause any increase in total file size as long as they're stored in the same XP3 archive as the original 44100Hz versions.

Any audio codec built-in to ffmpeg and any container format built-in to ffmpeg should be supported (including Ogg Opus).
    Oh uh, well technically this means I could put together a sort of "audiophile package" that simply converts all of the existing OGG vorbis files to something like FLAC or WavPack but slowed down to a sampling rate of 43298Hz.

This does however make file size a concern though and, TBH, if I were to put together a separate "audiophile package" then I'd want to source songs from the OSTs instead (at least where the OST versions have equal or better dynamic range, and not all of them do).

EDIT:...though if the versions from the OST are involved, the loop information has to be re-done anyway for those songs (which actually, for something like half or more of them, I've already done like a decade ago) at which point one might as well just do a proper offline resample by slowing down to 39690Hz, resampling to 44000Hz, and then speeding up to 48000Hz for the final result (which then gives you an exact exact 54/55 and, yes, the fidelity actually does sound better this way - there's one specific 70s song I found where the difference is actually quite easy to notice even on cheap speakers). But shoot, if one is going full audiophile then, rather than upsampling to "only" 44000Hz, you might as well resample to 176000Hz and speed up to 192000Hz which, again, I myself can confirm does give better sounding results presumably due to reducing aliasing and/or rounding errors caused by the resampling in the same way that upscaling 480p to 2160p will always look better than upscaling 480p to 600p.

This is partially implemented. I plan to complete the implementation of it later.
    Will this "later" be before or after this elusive "next update"?
    Last edited by NM64; May 20th, 2022 at 11:36 PM.

Regardless is there any way I could watch the movies? Or is there any way I could not have the "Skip movies in game" option enabled?

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Hi. May I ask for help with the installation?

I did every step you have listed until point 3. I made all the necessary files, but at the "route folder selection" screen, I receive the message that my files do not contain the file "bgimage.xp3".

Did I do something wrong, or do I have to download something that wasn't listed here?

Quote Originally Posted by Exterminate69 View Post
    I did every step you have listed until point 3. I made all the necessary files, but at the "route folder selection" screen, I receive the message that my files do not contain the file "bgimage.xp3".
    Are you possibly lacking the 3 official PC Realta Nua routes?

Quote Originally Posted by ahiddensub View Post
    Regardless is there any way I could watch the movies?
    Do they also fail to play in the Extra menu?

Quote Originally Posted by ahiddensub View Post
    Or is there any way I could not have the "Skip movies in game" option enabled?
    I mean, the issue you describe is the same I had back on Windows 7 if you had certain media foundation codecs disabled, but I have no idea if the solution is the same on Windows 11:

• make sure the Media Foundation MP4 and Microsoft DTV-DVD audio and video decoders are not disabled via Codec Tweak Tool (in fact, do not disable anything on either list unless you really know what you're doing!)

Otherwise they're just plain old h.264+aac MP4 video files; if you can extract the contents of "patch_op.xp3" then you can just play them with any old media player.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    So I did miss something that was not listed, it seems. The original post did not post any links on how to get them.

How do I in that case?

Quote Originally Posted by Exterminate69 View Post
    How do I in that case?
    So that's kind of a funny thing... you used to able to buy the digital copies straight from Amazon Japan IIRC but, as of several years ago, they've been delisted for whatever reason.

Some time after that there was a physical package (which also included Hollow Ataraxia) that you could purchase containing a download code, but I don't think it was ever confirmed if that version worked or not.

Therefore, outside of using the old 2004 pre-Realta Nua disc-based PC version (not compatible with Ultimate Edition) or ports to other platforms (none of which have proper translations AFAIK) then, honestly, the only way is "yar-har-fiddle-dee-dee" (hint: the Japanese sound of a cat).

That being said, I do know that there are at least partial Android and Vita versions of Ultimate Edition, and both Android and Vita have official versions of F/sn, but it's my impression that Ultimate Edition does not rely on those native versions and is instead a stand-alone copy that still relies on the digital-download PC version as its basis.

One thing I was wondering is if the XP3 archive compression is smart enough in an LZMA-like manner whereby, if you have two files that are 99.99% identical, at least a 50% compression ratio is basically a given. I ask because, if the XP3 archive compression can operate in such a way, then even having separate copies of the OGG vorbis files hex-edited or whatever to 43298Hz wouldn't cause any increase in total file size as long as they're stored in the same XP3 archive as the original 44100Hz versions.
    The XP3 compression is simply block zlib compression.
    However, it is possible to use other archive formats like ZIP or SquashFS.

Will this "later" be before or after this elusive "next update"?
    Not sure, I don't handle releases.

BTW, random question - did my old idea of an "update notifier" ever go anywhere?

However, it is possible to use other archive formats like ZIP or SquashFS.
    I believe ZIP (EDIT: assuming you mean standard "deflate" compression) isn't "fancy" enough to achieve what I described, but I have no idea regarding SquashFS.

Not sure, I don't handle releases.
    I was just thinking that, unless the ability to support two copies of each OP is supported, then there's not actually any benefit to replacing the actual video files just yet - it would just leave us with OPs that are either lower quality or OPs that may be too computationally demanding to decode for some people.

So perhaps I will continue to hold off for a bit longer.

(besides, it's difficult for myself to do performance tests to without having a version that contains the embedded mpv playback engine)
    Last edited by NM64; May 24th, 2022 at 10:47 PM.

BTW, random question - did my old idea of an "update notifier" ever go anywhere?
    Still in the planning phase. Need to implement bindings to libcurl and proper JSON decoding.

I believe ZIP (EDIT: assuming you mean standard "deflate" compression) isn't "fancy" enough to achieve what I described, but I have no idea regarding SquashFS.
    The thing with 7z is that it has support for solid compression. ZIP or XP3 does not have solid compression e.g. can not compress across file boundaries. Also, it has poor seek performance.

However, what XP3 and SquashFS have in common is block deduplication. If a chunk of a file is the same, it can reuse those chunks.

Blog Entries
    What is SquashFS?
    I think it goes: "I don't trust people like me." — no, that's not it…

Quote Originally Posted by Namelesss
    Quote me on this, 10 years from now TM will not release a global VN work.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher Attic View Post
    What is SquashFS?
    https://www.google.com/search?q=SquashFS