Page 1 of 70 12361151 ... LastLast

Thread: Fate/Stay Night [Realta Nua] - Ultimate Edition - 2022

Blog Entries

Fate/Stay Night [Realta Nua] - Ultimate Edition - 2022

Fate/Stay Night [Realta Nua] - Ultimate Edition v1.0+

This is the new thread for the Ultimate Edition Patch v1.0 and above.
    You'll always be able to find information about the latest release in this first post.

The latest public version of the Ultimate Edition patch is v1.1.4 and was released on April 11th, 2023.
    Changelog

• Fixed broken slideopen/slideclose animations (reported by Twhite90 on 2023-03-05 and by Hobusu on 2023-03-28)
    • Fixed cinema scope (black border) effects in wide aspect ratios (reported by Karmondia on 2023-03-06)
    • Added "Display unused text" option to show outtake lines.
    • Disabled 2400 and 3200 resolution patches when not running 64-bit binary.

Known issues

• Aspect ratios other than 4:3 and 16:9 can show glitches in the effects. Stick to the two main aspect ratios for the best experience.
    • Music Content "Classic" covers only select scenes (mainly Prologue day 1 and a few others).
    • Movie subtitles are not working yet.

Development for the next update is ongoing.

What you need to get Ultimate Edition running:

• The three separate routes of the official PC Realta Nua releases which were released in 2012.
    • The installer, which has the main purpose of merging the assets of these separate routes into one. It will not download any patches - that's your job.
    • The patch files.

How to do a NEW INSTALL (only needed if you don't have an older installation already!):

1. Visit mega dot nz /folder/DMsXCIoD#ubkrOC40vxEJDAslcnScow
    2. Download the installer: "Fate/stay night [Réalta Nua] Ultimate Edition Setup.exe"
    3. Run the installer (on Windows 8 or higher). It will ask you for the folder paths to the 3 official PC Realta Nua releases.
    4. Follow the steps below on "How to update from an older version of Ultimate Edition".

How to UPDATE from an older version of Ultimate Edition:

1. Visit mega dot nz /folder/DMsXCIoD#ubkrOC40vxEJDAslcnScow
    2. Open the "Patches" subfolder there and download the xp3 patch files you want to use.
    3. Also download "Fate.exe" if it's newer than the one you got and grab the application icons (icon_FATE.ico, icon_HF.ico, icon_UBW.ico) as well, if they're missing from your game folder.
    4. Copy the downloaded files to the folder you installed the Ultimate Edition to. Have it overwrite existing files.
    5. Delete patch_decensor.xp3 if you have one - its contents are now integrated into patch_h.xp3.
    6. (Optional) You can also download the flowchart and readme files.

Which patch files should you choose?

• patch.xp3 - You ALWAYS need this. The game will not work without it.
    • patch_lang_english.xp3 - Adds the option to switch to English text, instead of the original Japanese.
    • patch_hd.xp3 - Adds the option to play at 1.6x resolution (1280x960) instead of the default 800x600.
    • patch_hd_1600.xp3 - Adds the option to play at 2.0x resolution (1600x1200).
    • patch_hd_1920.xp3 - Adds the option to play at 2.4x resolution (1920x1440).
    • patch_hd_2400.xp3 - Adds the option to play at 3.0x resolution (2400x1800). Needs Fate64.exe.
    • patch_hd_3200.xp3 - Adds the option to play at 4.0x resolution (3200x2400). Needs Fate64.exe.
    • patch_h.xp3 - Adds the option to restore the ecchi/hentai content from the 18+ PC release from 2004, including demosaic choices.
    • patch_op.xp3 - Adds the option to access Vita/mobile, PS2, and original 2004 PC opening movies in high resolution.
    • patch_vita_ost.xp3 - Adds the option to use the remixed soundtracks from the Vita/mobile release.

You do NOT need to get all HD patch files. One will suffice. For most people, "patch_hd_1600.xp3" would be the recommended one. Don't bother with "patch_hd_3200.xp3" - we added it for completeness' sake, but it will not run smoothly on many systems and the image quality is arguably not higher than with the smaller patches.
    (Optional) How do I know if I have the latest version of all the patch files?

Look at the "Date modified" on the XP3 files (you can also access the modified date for individual files by right-clicking → "Properties"). In the Mega folder above, compare the dates - if the modified date is equal to or later than dates on mega, then you should have the newest versions.

If you want to be really sure, then refer to the CRC-32 values in bold below for the current patch files on Mega. You can use a tool (such as 7-zip via right-click) to calculate the CRC-32 values for the patch files on your harddrive. If they are identical, you are up to date.

• patch.xp3: 91EF9408
    • patch_h.xp3: 87FB686C
    • patch_hd.xp3: 62498802
    • patch_hd_1600.xp3: 5E2F6E43
    • patch_hd_1920.xp3: EEA27A86
    • patch_hd_2400.xp3: 6D30E18B
    • patch_hd_3200.xp3: 507D2EE4
    • patch_lang_english.xp3: 94E5B421
    • patch_op.xp3: 94D5A513
    • patch_vita_ost.xp3: 7F955D44
    • Fate.exe: 633B1B5C
    • Fate64.exe: 811DAAB9

Last edited by Petrikow; June 17th, 2023 at 07:52 AM.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NM64 View Post
    You should also probably have them put a big text link in the first post pointing to the new thread, especially since the current version of ultimate edition automatically opens this thread when you have an error.
    It is done. If there's anything else about the old thread's OP that you think needs modifying, feel free to inform me.

Resident straight-male kuutsundere NM64's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrikow View Post
    If there's anything else about the old thread's OP that you think needs modifying, feel free to inform me.
    Just a minor one - you probably want to have it link to this thread rather than the first post of this thread.

In other words, link to this:

Rather than this:
    Last edited by NM64; December 14th, 2021 at 05:07 PM.
    HELP WANTED - Contact me if you know the original source of this song:

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Just a minor one - you probably want to have it link to this thread rather than the first post of this thread.

In other words, link to this:

Rather than this:
    Alright, I changed it.

Keep in mind I'm using the thread BBCode. Hopefully there's not an issue with that?

Quote Originally Posted by Petrikow View Post
    Keep in mind I'm using the thread BBCode. Hopefully there's not an issue with that?
    I don't think it'll be an issue?

The only slight oddity I notice is that the actual URL the link contains is the following:

...which then actually redirects to:

Again, I don't think this is actually an issue though - I just couldn't help but notice that my example URL doesn't do this redirecting.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I don't think so? The only slight oddity I notice is that the actual URL the link contains is the following:

...which then actually redirects to:

Again, I don't think this is actually an issue though; I just couldn't help but notice that my example URL doesn't do this redirecting.
    Interesting. First time I become aware of this behavior. As you say though, it shouldn't be an issue. At least in terms of functionality. Using thread BBCode is sort of future-proof, which is why I prefer it.

Blog Entries
    @NM
    To answer your question that you directed at me in the previous thread, I know how to change resolutions of course, but I've never even heard of "custom" resolutions, which from the name I'm assuming means that you can make a resolution be whatever you want. Naturally, I have no idea how to make one. I thought resolutions only came in the various types that Windows, games and apps etc provide, and then you pick one, and that's it. So does that mean that instead of, say, 1920x1080 resolution, you could make a random weird resolution like, say, 1890x1067?

- - - Updated - - -

@Quibi
    I'm glad I read your post about manually downloading and replacing the patch files with the latest ones, otherwise I would be playing with the older files. I assumed the installer would install the latest files.

"The world is just another word for the things you value around you, right? That's something I've had since I was born. If you tell me to rule such a world, I already rule it."

Quote Originally Posted by Rokudaime View Post
    you could make a random weird resolution like, say, 1890x1067?
    Yep!

However, a lot of monitors and TVs (unless it's an old "fat tube" CRT monitor - those can handle darned near anything) can be picky about resolutions which is where my previously-mentioned GPU scaling comes in - if GPU scaling is enabled then any wacky resolution should "just work" (GPU scaling is always enabled by default on basically any laptop made in the last 15 years, but is less consistent on desktops), but GPU scaling also usually has three or four different modes of scaling, one of which results in a stretched-out image resulting in the infamous "fat Saber"

Custom resolutions can be created in your GPU control panel, but that then means it's different for each of the 3 GPU vendors. A cross-vendor solution however would be to use "CRU - Custom Resolution Utility"

Also, again just like the the "Mirror moon english insertion" days, I usually recommended people to use the program reso.exe aka "Res-O-Matic" (or for a newer alternative program, "Display Changer") to automatically change to the desired resolution when launching a given program and then for to automatically revert to their original desktop resolution.

EDIT: Do keep in mind however that on modern, non-CRT displays, you can get a blurry image if your custom resolution doesn't have the same height as the native vertical resolution of your display (which is why I said about using something like 1680x1080 on a 1080p screen). Modern GPUs do have an "integer scaling" option though which at least makes exact multiples be similarly crisp, e.g. that custom 1680x1080 resolution would be just as crisp on a 4k / 2160p screen as it would on a 1080p screen if integer scaling is set as your GPU scaling method (I believe it's called "retro scaling" on Intel graphics).

EDIT 2: Custom resolutions is also how you can run a monitor at higher-than-stock refresh rates (I can run my 60Hz-only laptop screen at a whopping 100Hz), though that starts getting into making sure you're not getting frame-skipping or the like.
    Last edited by NM64; December 14th, 2021 at 05:55 PM.

Blog Entries
    Hmm. Interesting I guess. But again, over my head. Too complicated for little old me. I'm not particularly tech-savy or anything, so when you talk about using specific programs to create custom resolutions and stuff...Yeah, no thanks. Even if I did grab the necessary stuff, and found out how to use them correctly (and those are big ifs), I would still have no idea what custom resolution to go with, or how to find out.

"The world is just another word for the things you value around you, right? That's something I've had since I was born. If you tell me to rule such a world, I already rule it."

Blog Entries
    Hmm. Interesting I guess. But again, over my head. Too complicated for little old me. I'm not particularly tech-savy or anything, so when you talk about using specific programs to create custom resolutions and stuff...Yeah, no thanks. Even if I did grab the necessary stuff, and found out how to use them correctly (and those are big ifs), I would still have no idea what custom resolution to go with, or how to find out.
    Not sure you're aware but the wide mode is a bit special.
    It only upscales the background while keeping the sprites the same size. This is in contrast to the mobile version. I think this behavior looks a lot better.
    Special tags were also added throughout the code to scroll the background so even when it's cropped, you'll still be focused on the important parts (those tags were ported from the mobile version).
    Support for any arbitrary wide resolution will be coming up in the next version - but that might take a while.

when you talk about using specific programs to create custom resolutions and stuff...Yeah, no thanks.
    Oh come on, you know I won't take "no" for an answer that easily.

But if you truly don't want to do any of this, then simply don't reply to me and just "leave me hanging" so to say.

--------

As I previously mentioned, simply changing your desktop resolution to something like 1024x768 (which all PCs made in the last 2 decades should include by default as an option) would at least easily tell us if your GPU scaling is set up correctly - simply put, do you get black bars on your desktop with 1024x768, or is it stretched out? Furthermore, does your monitor or TV's on-screen display say the resolution is 1024x768 (or 768p) or does it say that it's something larger, like 1920x1080 (or 1080p)?

Nevertheless, relying on your GPU drivers for custom resolutions is probably more up your alley but, TBH, I have enough experience with CRU that it'd actually be easy for me to hold your hand through the process.... not that there's much (there's really only 7 extremely broken-down steps specific to CRU):
    entire custom resolution instructions with extremely broken-down hand-holding steps at OCD-levels

1. get familiar with the alt+f4 keyboard shortcut to instantly close a program window (e.g. open Fate.exe normally and then press alt+f4 to instantly close it)
    2. launch CRU.exe
    3. under "detailed resolutions" click 'Add...'
    4. for the "Timing" drop-down select 'Automatic (PC)'
    5. input your desired horizontal and vertical resolutions (see the bottom portion of this entire post, not just these instructions, for details on what to input)
    6. leave everything else as-is, making sure that "Refresh rate" has a value of at least 59 (if it's not, then manually input 59.940)
    7. click "OK"
    8. close the program
    9. run the "restart64.exe" that came with CRU (it won't restart your PC, just the display driver)
    10. open reso.exe aka Res-o-matic
    11. click "Browse..." and locate Ultimate Edition's copy of Fate.exe
    12. set "Resolution" to whatever new resolution you just created in CRU in step #5
    13. make sure "Colors" is set to at least 32 bit and "Refresh Rate" is set to at least 59 Hertz
    14. click "Create Shortcut" and select a location where you want to save the new shortcut
    15. close reso
    16. navigate to wherever you saved that shortcut from step #14 and launch it
    17. if you get a black screen or similar "no signal" then press alt+f4 and then run "reset-all.exe" that came with CRU
    18. if you don't get a black screen and things look fine, simply set "Ultimate Edition" to the "Match desktop" aspect ratio setting (Display → Aspect Ratio) and run in fullscreen, and that's it

Even if I did grab the necessary stuff, and found out how to use them correctly (and those are big ifs)
    If it makes you feel any better, both CRU and reso are completely portable and don't require any installation.

Reso in particular is pretty darned stupid simple - that single screenshot of the program on the website is literally all there is, so it's basically just browse for the "Fate.exe" and then select the resolution you want while making sure colors is set to at least 32 bit and refresh rate is set to at least 59 Hertz.

I would still have no idea what custom resolution to go with, or how to find out.
    You mean you don't know what your current display's native resolution is? (e.g. 1080p, 1440p aka sometimes incorrectly called "2k", 2160p aka 4k, etc)

It's really just a case of, take your current resolution (let's assume 1920x1080) and multiply the horizontal value (usually the larger of the two numbers) by 0.875 and that's it; for 1920x1080 that would give a result of 1680x1080 - in CRU then you'd put 1680 for the horizontal pixels and 1080 for the vertical lines.

(of course, you don't have to use 1680 for the horizontal - you could actually put in whatever value you want, so if you want something wider you could put 1808 or, if you want something narrower, you could put 1504; btw it's recommended that the horizontal value is divisible by 16)
    Last edited by NM64; December 16th, 2021 at 12:54 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibi View Post
    Not sure you're aware but the wide mode is a bit special.
    It only upscales the background while keeping the sprites the same size.
    I kind of took that for granted. I can't even imagine the sprites being cropped, that would be unplayable to me.

Why is there no debug menu in version 1.0.0 after completing all routes and last episode?

Looking for a little help and guidance here, just switched to a new phone (Asus ROG 5s) and I'm looking on how to get this version running on my phone, all the guides I found are at least 2 years old and not very clear, Ive already installed kirikiroid2 and downloaded the newest version of the ultimate edition, but I'm completely lost on what to do after that
    A little help please?

For reference this is the version I downloaded:
    [PIRACY LINK REMOVED]
    Last edited by Leftovers; December 21st, 2021 at 05:49 PM. Reason: No links to downloads please.

Quote Originally Posted by bwaaaaayan View Post
    Why is there no debug menu in version 1.0.0 after completing all routes and last episode?
    Which debug menu are you referring to? There should be no debug menu.

Quote Originally Posted by Tfking View Post
    Looking for a little help and guidance here, just switched to a new phone (Asus ROG 5s) and I'm looking on how to get this version running on my phone, all the guides I found are at least 2 years old and not very clear, Ive already installed kirikiroid2 and downloaded the newest version of the ultimate edition, but I'm completely lost on what to do after that
    A little help please?

For reference this is the version I downloaded:
    -snip-
    Look in the AndroidVisualNovels discord.

I could use some troubleshooting help, if possible. Once the setup installer gets to the "Adding registry files" part I can't tell if things are progressing. I've canceled and retried the installer/restarted my laptop a few times, but each time there's been no change for 30 - 40 min at the registry file stage.

I'll be happy to provide more info, just dunno what additional info would be helpful.

Edit: Just downloaded the older version from the torrent and updated the patches and that worked without any additional headaches.
    Last edited by TheFrostyKnight; December 21st, 2021 at 04:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFrostyKnight View Post
    I could use some troubleshooting help, if possible. Once the setup installer gets to the "Adding registry files" part I can't tell if things are progressing. I've canceled and retried the installer/restarted my laptop a few times, but each time there's been no change for 30 - 40 min at the registry file stage.

I'll be happy to provide more info, just dunno what additional info would be helpful.

Edit: Just downloaded the older version from the torrent and updated the patches and that worked without any additional headaches.
    The registry part usually should take less than a second, so something went seriously wrong there. A possible way around it would have been to choose "Portable Install" since that option doesn't even write to the registry. Quibi's working on an updated version of the installer that should also fix compatibility with Windows 7 and some other issues.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bohemian Waxwing View Post
    The registry part usually should take less than a second, so something went seriously wrong there. A possible way around it would have been to choose "Portable Install" since that option doesn't even write to the registry. Quibi's working on an updated version of the installer that should also fix compatibility with Windows 7 and some other issues.
    It probably means the installer finished successfully.
    It's just a bug with the calculation of percentage that causes it to get stuck (the installer will only advance to the next page if it reached 100%).
    If there is no error shown most likely everything is fine.

I just discovered RealSR today and I'm wondering if its arbitrary upscaling factor (that is, it doesn't max out at 2x) would be useful for Alyinghood's future elusive "greater than 960p/1200p resolution" quality mode or whatever it is.

(I personally would also probably try it for any greater than ~1080p OP videos if we ever want to encode such things; perhaps they could coincide with the "greater than 960p/1200p resolution" quality mode thereby allowing for a third "ultra resolution" OP encode to go with the previously-mentioned ~720p and ~1080p)

6-months-later UPDATE: I've come across what looks to be a sort of successor to RealSR that contain even farther improvements, perhaps to now even be able to surpass waifu2x rather than just generally match it (I'm just thinking out loud; I've not done any actual tests yet):

Last edited by NM64; May 19th, 2022 at 01:32 AM.

Apologies for the double-post, but it has been nearly a full week... (I guess this means that making the thread link to the v1.0 beta by default is solving a lot of problems that users would normally be having, meaning fewer problems = fewer posts asking for help?)

First off, a quick unrelated question - any idea if Ultimate Edition renders output audio with 16bit, 24bit, or 32float bit depth? (I can't do the audio recording test that I previously did with Ren'Py to test audio bitdepth output since it's my impression that Ultimate Edition doesn't support lossless audio codecs for background music currently)

Anyway, I just found out that JPEG XL includes the lower-resolution progressive-loading function that originated from FLIF that I was a big fan of. Since I know that Alyinghood was at one point looking into using JPEG XL in-place of our existing lossless WebP, I'm wondering if this lower-resolution progressive-loading function couldn't also be used in-conjunction with his elusive higher-quality-than-960p/1200p-resolution whereby you could save disk space by only including a single, ultra high resolution lossless(?) art asset in JPEG XL and then have the engine itself decode lower resolution versions when the display resolution requires it, thereby allowing lower-end systems to not be bogged down by ultra high-res art assets and reducing overall file size by not needing to include separate high-res and ultra high-res versions.

Heck I'm wondering if this could even be used as a way to make the "skip" function go even faster, e.g. decoding lower resolution versions of the art assets when in skip mode (perhaps a specific ratio like 0.5x size of the current program window size)

At the same time, JPEG XL apparently is very fast to decode which should also make it faster than the existing WebP let alone much faster than anything like AVIF (on a quad core system JPEG XL is supposedly a little bit faster than standard JPEG), so it's questionable if the hypothetical performance benefits I outlined above are even of any use (maybe with the exception of skip mode?).

Oh and the fact that JPEG XL supports HDR makes me kind of wonder if Microsoft's auto-HDR tech used on Xbox Series consoles and Windows 11 couldn't somehow be applied to offline-rendered images and whether it'd even give decent results at all when applied to Fate/stay night's art assets.