Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fate/Requiem New Translation Master Thread

Fate/Requiem New Translation Master Thread

Author: 星空 めてお, Meteo Hoshizora
    Illustrator: NOCO

Hello everyone, this is where I plan to translate the rest of Fate/Requiem Volume 2. After reading the first volume I found I really enjoyed the setting and story, so I decided to ask the original translator if he would mind me taking over from where he left off. I was very kindly given the go ahead to do so, and as such will be working to release Volume 2 in full before the FGO crossover reaches the NA server.

I will be updating this thread with a link to each chapter as I go. Please forgive me for any potential formatting errors, as I have not used a forum like this in some time.

I hope you enjoy!

Volume 1 by Brokastel can be found here. Within this thread you will also find the images from the first volume, as well as a PDF that combines the translated text with the images so you can get the experience as if you were reading straight from the original LN.

The original Volume 2 Master Thread and Chapter 9 By Clyton can be found here. You will also find TLs for the art from the start of the volume here, also translated by Clyton.

- - - Updated - - -

Chapter 10 here.

───And so, the Season of War came once more.

This truth is something the people do not accept. Exhausted and hurt, they refuse to even understand it.

Even so, I can feel it. Through my Servant.

The war for the Holy Grail that destroyed and rebuilt the world has not yet reached its end.

A few days had passed since the tragedy that struck at the Colosseum, and Mosaic City was trying to recover, little by little.

In Akihabara, the area which had suffered the greatest damages, the tranquil feeling of a resort-city that the district once possessed had yet to return. Even so, the city had calmed to a point where its citizens appeared to have returned to normalcy.

And I had a job to do.

In the midst of the massacre caused by the dreadful Servant Nzambi, when zombified people and manipulated servants ran amok, I was the one who had been responsible for handling the situation, and as such I was obligated to help with the cleanup after the fact.

Dealing with the post-processing with the authorities was a painful experience, one that served as a constant reminder of Caren Fujimura’s absence. Though, looking at it another way, it was also time for me to calmly sort out what I was feeling in my heart, as well as an opportunity to restore my determination.

I knew what I had to do first─ Request a meeting with a certain person.

The destination was the northernmost section of the Akihabara district, a place nicknamed “Yushima Tenjin”. It’s a shrine known for being the place to go to pray for success in one’s studies, the official name of it being “Yushima Tenman-gū”.

Since the shrine is called “Tenjin” after the Kami of Learning, the shrine must be dedicated to the God among scholars “Kankou” Sugawara no Michizane, though that fact had little to do with my current visit.

I was advised to visit Yushima Tenjin by the City Management AI of Shinjuku, Caren Himuro— No, I’ll just call her Himuro– after she heard out my aspirations.

The shrine I was heading towards was located in an area that used to be a part of a neighboring ward, one that was not considered a part of the Akihabara area prior to the war. After the reconstruction done by the Holy Grail it became an important location for the Spiritual Ley Lines, and was conveniently incorporated into Akihabara’s northernmost area. This area was just one of the places I was forbidden from entering in the time right before the Holy Grail Tournament, along with the rest of the Spiritual Leyline Management Sites.

The area in front of the shrine’s grounds are no longer Ueno Onshi Kōen’s Shinobazu Pond, but instead a coastline where a swathe of willow leaves sway. I guess it wouldn’t be wrong for you to say that the whole area in front of the shrine has been through a slip in time, returning to the scenery it originally had during the Edo Period… or that’s what I would say if it weren’t for the pure white sand and clear blue sea making it look like the beach at a tropical resort.

I walked along the twisted shrine road through Umebayashi Park by the sea side by side with Karin. The path we walked was crowded with beachgoers and visitors to the shrine at Yushima Tenjin, as usual.

“Hey, Eri-pie?”

“What?”

“I was just thinking, ‘After that terrifying uproar, there’s no way there’d be a single person on the way to the shrine, right?’ but… There are a lot of people, dontcha think? And doesn’t it look like they’re all going to the same shrine we are instead of heading to the beach?”

I nodded in response to Karin’s straightforward questions.

“...Guess so. I wonder if they’re religious people coming to pray for their families’ safety or something.”

Even though Servants have become an abundance in our everyday lives, the faith leftover from ancient times didn’t just disappear from the citizens. Instead, in this chaotic world, that faith has become a stronghold and in this time it has once again become necessary for a God to take root in this land.

The sight of Master’s accompanied by Heroic Spirits, spirits who have come from all across the world, times ancient and modern, going to worship at the shrine of the Japanese God of Learning… It was the kind of sight that was unique to the peaceful Mosaic City.

“This place is usually just full of tourists looking for a resort.”

“...Have you been to this shrine before, Karin?”

“That strange? I guess I should say I didn’t come here for myself, I’ve been since Momi wanted to visit. Sometimes we drop by on the way to Akihabara, since the tempura manju is super delicious.”

“Hmm. For Kōyō you say…? Tempura manju too…”

“Uh, side note, is that alright Eri-pie? It looks like the kid is going to end up wandering off on his own.”

Karin turned her head towards the boy in front of us.

…Voyager.

My… He’s my… he’s a person like me’s… he’s my very own… Servant.

His fluffy golden scarf fluttered in the sea breeze as he rapidly walked down a path I hadn’t even told him about.

“Hmmm? Something about you and Pran seems–”

“Voyager. His name isn’t Pran, because you already know it’s Voyager.”

“Crap, that’s right.” Realizing her mistake Karin quickly bowed her head down in apology. “That’s my bad. You already identified his True Name, so Voyager should be called Voyager. In that case, Voyager and Eri-pie seem… like they’re a bit awkward together?”

“...We’re not awkward.”

“Did you guys get into a fight?”

“Wha–? Absolutely wrong. Why would you think we fought?”

That was a lie.

After all, it had been pretty awkward since this morning, and there was also a little bit of a fight between the two of us.

In the days since I discovered his True Name, Voyager’s behavior had changed.

It was like his ego and his sense of purpose had risen to the surface in its own unique way, though that vague atmosphere around him was still the same in some respects.

He had always shown glimpses of stubbornness, but I get the feeling that something like a strong sense of fixation was born within him too.

He used to be brimming with curiosity when I would walk around the city with him, and he seemed to be interested in everything from the places I took him, to the things I showed him, to the foods he ate, like he wanted to absorb all of it. But not anymore.

This morning we had a dispute over breakfast. He seemed like he was unsatisfied with the cereal I got him, and said that “It would be nice if we had something different”.

“If you’re not happy with it then it’s fine if you don’t have any, isn't it?” When I said that and told him about the fact that meals are just a bit of stylistic beauty for Servants he just glared at me in response.

Seriously, what’s the problem with having the same food every morning for a week or two?

And right after that, I guess so he could try to add some flavor to his cereal or something, he took some of my most treasured jam, without even asking for permission! Of course, I got angry about it and we got into a little bit of a scuffle and… well, you know what happens.

“That was totally a lie, right?” Karin nodded her head in affirmation of her own assertion. I had no words with which to make a reply.

“...........”

“Eh, I guess it’s pretty understandable. Not only have you never had a partner to form a contract with before, but you’ve also never had a real relationship with a Servant. The basis of all your interactions with them is basically banishing them or killing them, right? Like “VANISH OR DIE!”, ya know? Not really the right timing for an honest bit of communication.”

“Guh… It wasn’t THAT extreme.”

“It’s fine, don’t even sweat it. You two can fight with each other as much as you want. Like Momi and I? We fight all the time!”

“Huh, that’s… honestly pretty surprising.”

I don’t know of any other Masters and Servants with a relationship as good and well-coordinated as Karin and Kijyo Kōyō’s. Then again, it did seem like Koharu and Galahad have a pretty volatile relationship on the surface.

“Heroic Spirits are sorta like our senpai in life, so they don’t really care about getting into fights.”

Karin smiled and looked at the boy walking ahead of us.

“I know I just said all that, but something about the kid does seem a little different…”

Different…? What exactly is different?

As the Reaper I’ve profiled Servants before. My studies of their exploits goes far in terms of both width and depth, but that experience has been totally useless to me in regards to the one Servant in existence who’s ever become a familiar presence for me.

And although I’m officially a Master myself, I still haven’t been able to handle the information that has been directly imprinted upon me by the Holy Grail.

Voyager suddenly turned his head. Then he gazed toward the ocean on his right.

I followed his gaze and saw a houseboat that was operating as a water bus approaching a small dock on the beach.

This beach is supposed to be a point of transit for those boats, not a place for them to land to drop off passengers. One of the people onboard jumped off from the houseboat, and the ship immediately changed direction and returned to its original course.

The sole person to get off the boat was a female student carrying a large bag over her shoulder. Her pale skin and white blouse looked brilliant against the blue sea. Her light-colored hair fluttered in the wind, and I could tell she was a little bit taller than me. I felt like I recognized her face from somewhere.

“Hey, that’s an Akijyo uniform!”

“Yeah, it is…”

Just as Karin said, the girl was wearing the summer uniform from the Akibagabara Jyogakukan High School, “Akijyo” for short. She waved goodbye to the people who stayed on the houseboat, all of whom were wearing the same uniform.

Naturally, she had to be older than Karin and I, who were still in Junior High School but…

The girl quickly took off her shoes and socks, and instead of taking the long way around the wharf which would be an inconvenience for her, she chose to jump across the deck of a small boat that was moored at the dock.. With an agility filled leap, she easily jumped over several small boats as well, and quickly landed in the shallow water in front of us. She clearly didn’t care if she got wet from the splash of her landing.

While we were watching such a situation unfold before us from land, she must have noticed us from the other side.

She blushed and blinked her eyes at us, and from her position on the beach pressed her lips together with her index finger as if to say “Shhh”, telling us not to tell anyone. She was in the uniform of a prestigious young lady’s school, and it appeared that she was aware of the fact that she was behaving mischievously while wearing it. And then…

“WELCOME HOME MY LORD!!!!!”

From deep within the shrine grounds the sound of a voice filled with energetic cheer echoed out.

The owner of said voice came dashing towards the schoolgirl, and it was someone who I immediately recognized. A slender and tall female Servant, one with interesting features that you couldn’t mistake:

Minamoto no Kurou Yoshitsune— Ushiwakamaru.

(Ushiwakamaru… I had a feeling about it but to think she really was a woman…)

Today she looked like she was working a part-time job, the total opposite of the gallantly armored warrior she had appeared as in the Tournament.

She was wearing a bib apron and a triangular bandana in order to put aside her long black hair. Underneath the apron she was dressed in a light, swimsuit-esque outfit that, depending on the angle, made it appear as if she was wearing nothing but the apron itself. On her chest was a logo and illustration for “Yushima’s Masterful Tempura Manju”, the place that Karin mentioned earlier. She must have come straight from the kitchen of the tempura manju stall on the shrine’s grounds.

The student girl was literally jumped at by Ushiwakamaru, and it was like she was being mobbed by a large dog who was overjoyed and over-excited by her return.

“My Lord! My Lord! My Lord!”

“Yep, yep, it’s me, it’s your lord.”

The student girl acted as if she had gotten used to this. If that’s the case then… I see, that girl must be Ushiwakamaru’s Master.

During the Tournament she was wearing an elegant and traditional kimono, so the impression she gave here was quite different. Karin also seemed to have noticed, as we looked at one another and nodded.

“Ahhhhh~ It’s not fair that you leave your Ushiwaka at home My Lord… My Loooord…”

“Oh c’mooooon, cut it out already~! It’s too hot~! And stop sniffing me!”

Suddenly, her eyes opened wide as she yelled “Dossei!” and executed a backwards pivot throw. Ushiwakamaru was thrown completely off, down onto the sand with a thump.

It was splendidly done.

The schoolgirl’s movements were done in a manner that was casual and slight, but she performed an Aikido tenchi-nage.

Without a care in the world, Ushiwakamaru laughed gleefully as she rolled away on the ground, before noticing Voyager, who was crouched over the two companions in observation.

“Oh? Aren’t you the one from the other day…?”

From the position where she was lying on her back, Ushiwakamaru quickly reseated herself into a seiza position on the spot and politely bowed her head to Voyager.

“I’m extremely grateful to you for your help that day. I didn’t intend to leave you with the task of taking care of an opponent who was a bad match for me, so I’m truly indebted to you. Were you injured?”

“No, I’m okay.”

Voyager was likewise without any shyness, nodding his head to Ushiwakamaru. It appeared that the two remembered each one another from the arena.

“That’s great to hear! Although, it seems that there’s something different about you compared to our first meeting.”

“...Do you think so? You… smell good… today. That’s not… the smell of blood, this time?”

“Hehe. This is the famed aroma of Tenman-gū Shrine! The freshly fried food we provide is particularly exceptional! I’d certainly be happy to treat you to some. Hey, My Lord? Rurihime-dono───”

Ushiwakamaru called out a name as she looked back. The girl, called Rurihime, looked to Voyager.

“…Oh. Oooooh! You’re the boy from the Colosseum! The kid who was able to defeat that atrocious Servant! The way you sparkled made you stand out, so I just couldn’t forget about you. Thanks again! Seriously, thank you so much for the help. Gosh, I couldn’t handle everything with just my dear Shana, so you know I was about to cry– just baaarely on the verge of tears.”

“It was quite the predicament, but Rurihime-dono endured with such strength.”

“Yep, thanks for that.”

She had a look about her that gave me the impression that she was so excited she was ready to go in for a hug on Voyager, knock him over as she grabbed him, and haul him away with her. She seemed like she was just barely resisting doing such a thing by putting both of her arms up in the air to stop herself.

The feeling she gave me screamed “stranger danger”.

A second later, she turned towards me with an even brighter sparkle in her eyes.

“So, you must be that boy’s Master? Or, is it you? You look so young! Oh wait, you two wouldn’t happen to be middle school students by any chance would you?”

“C’mon, it isn’t me! Look over there, that one’s who you want.” Karin said as she pointed at me.

“Y-Yeah. I’m Voyager’s Master. Um… to be honest, I have a special favor to ask of you today, regarding the Tenman-gū Shri───”

“Oho? A favor for me, you say? As long as it’s not about studying, I can take care of you, got it?”

“Huh? Shouldn’t that be the other way around?” Karin said with a puzzled look on her face.

Right as it looked like Karin was about to unload a barrage of questions, Ushiwakamaru suddenly tugged on the other girl’s sleeve.

“───My Lord, your father is just over there.”

When we looked back towards the shrine’s grounds, there was a middle-aged man dressed in a Shinto priest’s hakama standing underneath the great torii.

“Ah, father… I’m home.” The girl fixed the hem of skirt, which had been put into total disarray, and brushed the sand off of her.

As the man approached us, he recognized who I was and gave a slight bow with the proper posture.

Surprised, I corrected my own posture in response, bowing my head to return the courtesy.

Wearing a purple hakama with a white pattern, this man was the chief priest of Yushima Tenman-gū Shrine, and the man whom I had been hoping to meet with, the one who I had been referred to by Himuro.

I had already met with him a few days before this at the Colosseum, at the time of a site inspection that was being conducted there. He already knew of me at that time, too.

Even so, I somehow never expected… I just didn’t think that the Master of Minamoto no Kurou Yoshitsune, a very popular participant in the Holy Grail War Tournament, would turn out to be the daughter of this shrine’s chief priest.

Karin and I were then given permission to meet with the chief priest of Yushima Tenman-gū Shrine.

We were invited in, not to the shrine office, but to the inner sanctuary itself, which had been expressly cleared of people for our visit.

Due to the fact that the sanctum was a location with a powerful Bounded Field designed to keep out low-ranking familiars and other such magecraft, both Voyager and Kijyo Kōyō’s presences were implicitly refused. As such, they were forced to remain outside.

The chief priest’s only daughter, Rurihime, and Ushiwakamaru were also not allowed within.

I started with my request, which was in regards to handing over my role as Akihabara’s Nightwatch to somebody else. I would give up the duty I had originally been entrusted with by Caren, since I would no longer be able to continue acting as one of the agents who "deals with''Servants for an unknown period of time…. A plea I knew was self-centered.

I told the chief priest everything, without hiding any of the details.

From the existence of an enemy who had thrown Mosaic City into pandemonium, to the outbreak of a new Holy Grail War, which would bring about more harm to the public than the incident from a few days ago, rapidly approaching.

And of course, the fact that a Servant had manifested before me for the first time, someone who had not been able to form a contract with one before this point in their life.

Naturally, most of this information had likely already reached the chief priest’s ears, but even so he listened to me in silence.

The chief priest of this shrine was assigned to an integral role and key location for the purpose of maintaining and preserving Akihabara’s Spiritual Ley Lines. Alongside Kanda-myōjin Shrine, which protects the city’s weakest point, Yushima Tenman-gū Shrine performs an essential duty within this city.

The divine majesty of Sugawara no Michizane, who possesses both the aspects of a God of Sincerity who prays for peace across the nation and that of a savage Thunder God, is only fully demonstrated here, at the Tenman-gū Shrine.

Suppose that the attack the other day wasn’t aimed at the Colosseum, but instead at destroying the Tenman-gū Shrine. In such an event, not only would the Bounded Field surrounding Akihabara have collapsed, but a great many of the Servants in Akihabara who receive their Magical Energy from the Spiritual Ley Lines would have completely fallen into dysfunction.

Even if the scope of our roles was considerably different, both the integral role that the chief priest held and my own role consisted of protecting Akihabara. In a manner of speaking, our roles were two sides of the same coin.

The chief priest’s reply was succinct─── “Have no worries. You can leave this to me.”

With the threat from the outside made clear, the Shrine would lend its full support in dealing with any anti-Servant cases in order to prevent the spread of chaos in the city.

However, that role would not be left to the chief priest, as it would instead be entrusted to his daughter, Rurihime— Wait.

—HUH?

This must have been Himuro’s doing.

She must have been anticipating this development. She must have predicted my inner turmoil, must have been laughing to herself this entire time.

Damn it, the Caren Series really is filled with nothing but tricksters…

I had expected that the chief priest himself would be unable to undertake the duty of handling the anti-Servant cases, considering how busy he already was, but even so I had been hoping he would be able to give me some kind of alternate plan or even give me advice on putting something else in place myself.

Not only was this outside of my expectations, but his response itself also managed to surprise me.

This was not a chief priest putting his faith in Rurihime’s abilities, but instead a father who was forced into making a desperate, last-ditch effort for his daughter. Or at least that was the impression that I got from him.

(Ahh, could it be because of my…)

When I came to that one objective fact, I felt just a little sorry for the man…

Being forced to confront the sight of a kid, even younger than his high school-aged daughter Rurihime, already doing this kind of job most likely annoyed him… Or at least, I think that's probably what caused him to make the decision the way he did.

With some feelings of depression, I headed towards the area behind the inner sanctuary, where a small shrine stood. Conversing in front of that shrine was Rurihime, Voyager, and Kijyo Kōyō.

“Oh, Kōyō…”

This was the first time today she had shown her face.

Rurihime, who looked as though she was more in her natural element in this form,, had changed out of her Akijyo uniform and into the red and white uniform of a miko. With the change, her elegant and graceful look from the Holy Grail Tournament had returned.

“I see, so Akihabara’s peace and future rests on my shoulders now, does it?”

“Um, I’m sorry for asking you so many times but… it really is a dangerous job–”

“Uh-huh, mhm.”

When I went to tell her the details and discuss things with her, the girl gave me a pretty positive reaction to the whole situation, which left me bewildered.

“—Not to mention that it isn’t uncommon for certain people to hold a grudge against you. Even when you’re not actively doing your job, the dangers of it will always follow y–”

“Yep, yep. It must be a real pain to be an Ally of Justice.”

“....That… That’s not what I was trying to say.”

I understood that she was being earnest about things in her own way.

I understood that but, even so, I didn’t feel like her seriousness about the matter was really coming through. I felt like I was finally able to infer the chief priest’s true motivations.

“I didn’t think it was possible but… Rurihime, are you the type who feels the call to be an Ally of Justice?”

“Nope, absolutely not. But I get the feeling the Holy Grail Tournament won’t be starting back up anytime soon, right? I’m going to end up being so bored without it.”

“Sigh… That’s… I guess that could make sense.”

I noticed that Karin was glancing over at me, as if she wanted to jump in. Considering she was a girl who was never scared of talking back to her seniors, she seemed like she had been obediently following the conversation the entire time.

“Hey, Miss Rurihime? Hasn’t Akijyo been on break from school this whole week? Didn’t you go out of your way to go all the way to the school then?”

Now that she mentions it, Karin’s right. Since I was always in and out of classes I didn’t even think about that at all.

“Yep, I did. I’m acting as a class representative right now, so there’s a lot of stuff for me to do, ya know? I also got called over by the student council asking for help, so I went over in the morning. We had to check on the safety of the students and stuff~, it was sooo hard to contact some of them through the Information Network~. Then, since the school had been turned into a temporary evacuation center, I had to lend a hand to clean things. So I asked my dear Shana– My dear Ushiwaka to do the house-sitting for me.”

“Woooah, you had to do all that annoying crap? I guess that’s what it means to be a High School Student.”

“Oh it wasn’t like that! It made me so happy to see the faces of everyone from the school, it was the first time in a while.” Rurihime turned to face me.

“Your name’s Erice, right? You wouldn’t happen to have heard anything about Koharu, would you?”

As a participant in the same tournament, she was worried about Koharu’s safety.

“Last I know she was going back to the Riedenflaus family to receive medical treatment for her injuries.”

“Is that so…”

Karin furrowed her brow.

“Koharu’s arm was injured… right Erice? Was it really bad?”

“No idea. It wasn’t life-threatening at least.”

“I see. In that case, I’m sure she’ll be fine!”

Karin’s reaction was typical for the next-generation, as modern medicine was capable of restoring the average injury back to its original state. However, Koharu was stabbed in her arm during a life or death battle with Nzambi. On her right arm, right above where her Command Seals were located.

“About that I… I’m not too sure…” After muttering that, Rurihime’s expression darkened for a moment, before quickly turning back to a smile. “Erice, you probably have a better chance of running into Koharu than I do. If you do happen to see her again, can you please tell her I send my condolences? And also tell her that I want to fight her in the arena again.”

“Of course. I won’t forget to let her know.”

I wanted to see Koharu again too. Right now, I was certain I needed her.

Rurihime flapped the sleeves of her miko outfit with excitement.

“Alright, I’m really motivated all of a sudden. Isn’t this gonna be pretty neat? The Nightwatch! What do you think about it, Shana!?” With a snap, the instant the girl raised her hand Ushiwakamaru came flying out from the manju stall, skidding sideways as she came.

“I understand the situation! Everything, I get it all! Naturally, I already knew that My Lord would accept this undertaking!”

“I know right~? Shana, your skills are probably getting dull too, right?”

“Actually, My Lord… While you may have some experience with martial arts, you do not possess any technical knowledge of Magecraft like Lady Erice, so you will need to start learning from the basics during your work. Do you not believe that starting out like that all of a sudden is rather reckless?”

“Urgh. I guess you’re right about that.”

“Regardless, this Ushiwaka will serve as My Lord’s sword and shield in defense of her being, no matter the occasion!”

“O.K.! I’ll make sure to be careful… What, is there something else?”

“Indeed. In addition to those concerns, I believe your Father has been pushing you exceptionally hard lately. You aren’t trying to use this as an excuse to run away from your studies, are you…?”

“Woah, it’s fine if you don’t say things you don’t have to ya know! A-Anyway, I have high expectations for you Shana! Even more so than during the tournament!”

“Of course. I am the only one who is fit for this role. My Lord has had an exceptional instinct for fighting since she was young after all, more than most would know what to do with.”

Rurihime blushed in response to the variety of things about her that were being spoken of so openly, while Ushiwakamaru held her chest out with pride. In spite of the carefree attitude she appeared to possess, it seemed as if she actually had quite a bit of courage and guts.

“I think it’s probably fine if you leave it at that.” Karin muttered under her breath. She said it in a hushed tone, like she was trying to water her words down..

“You know something, It would be better if a job like this just didn’t exist. I mean, what’s the point of a job where the asshole who wants to do it the least is also the jerk who’s best suited for the job?”

“...Karin?”

I thought I had gotten used to Karin’s bad language, but I found myself getting a little antsy to try and gloss over the way she had spoken.

“I don’t think it’s anything like that, it’s not like I’m trying to impose on Rurihime or anyth—”

“I already know that! I get that you don’t really want to give it up to anyone else. You’re not doing this stuff because you like it, and that’s why you don’t want anyone else to take over, right?”

“...Huh!? What are you trying to say?” I suddenly lost my cool and started to talk back to Karin.

(Not wanting to give it up to anyone else? Me of all people?)

It was a painful decision for me to make, but I was just trying to fulfill my duties in my own way. I wanted to make sure Karin understood that, so I made sure to reach out to Karin today—

“.........”

Before I knew it, a pair of pale blue eyes were staring straight at me. Voyager’s serene gaze put me at a loss for words.

It wasn’t that he was worried about Karin and I arguing. I could feel that he had dangerous intentions, that he was trying to get me to make a more direct confession toward Karin. But what could I possibly say…?

“........ (mmrm mrmm mrm)

In his hand was a freshly fried tempura manju, given to him by Ushiwakamaru. His little cheeks were puffed up as he absentmindedly gobbled it down.

I felt my stomach muscles tighten up as I somehow managed to stifle any laughter as I asked:

“V-Voyager…? Did you remember to say thank you?”

“(Mrm)”

Karin couldn't help but to break out in laughter. Rurihime on the other hand seemed impressed, arms folded and head nodding as she let out an approving “Uh-huh!”.

“You guys are… pretty hard to deal with, huh? It’s honestly overwhelming. It’s like a whole different world from that of us carefree high school girls. And really, that’s why taking this job sounds so interesting to me.”

“I think you’re pretty hard to handle yourself Rurihime…”

“You think so? I feel like I’m rather different from the next-generation children who were born into this world.”

“...Now I get it. You’re part of the Boundary Generation, aren’t you?”

As I was myself an exception without a Holy Grail, I knew that such a question was a complicated one to answer.

One way or another, we were able to secure a successful applicant to take over my Nightwatch duties.

I couldn’t even begin to properly convey how serious and demanding such a role was using words alone and, just as Karin once said, I still find it hard to approve of or understand the seriousness carried by the Holy Grail War Tournament participants.

I made a promise with Rurihime to call her at a later time, and our group made our exit from the shrine’s grounds. All that remained from here was for Caren Himuro to get in contact with and assist her, and failing that find another unit in the Caren series to do it.

As I was considering all of this, Ushiwakamaru stealthily approached and stopped me before I could leave.

“Lady Erice, and Lady Karin as well. I must bow my head to your considerations. I must also express that your concern for My Lord is only natural.” Leaving her master behind, Ushiwakamaru approached us by herself. "Know that with my blade I shall sweep aside every spark that comes our way. But… As I avowed earlier, My Lord’s vigorous and hotblooded nature in regards to battle has been with her ever since she was a child. She will not stop until she has taken the type of wound that slams into her with such force it makes her. That is why her father has been having such a hard time."

"Um, you mean Rurihime's father and why he looked so stern?"

She certainly did seem like a disobedient girl who would cause worry for her family after all. Who do we know like that?

Ushiwakamaru smiled a bit, as if relieved.

“But it is exactly for those kinds of situations that I am here. It is my role as a military commander to weigh the skills of our enemies and ascertain when we need to retreat. If the situation goes beyond our control, it is my promise that I shall act as a shield that will block one thousand arrows to ensure My Lord escapes.”

“What are you on about, Ushiwakamaru? Saying that kind of stuff is no good, ya hear!?”

As Karin hounded her for it, Ushiwakamaru’s eyes blinked incessantly in response.

“May I ask why it’s no good… Such a disappointing reaction…”

“Because it’s no good, that’s why! Seriously, you Heroic Spirits, why do you always– as if it were the natural thing to do– try to do the coolest things!? You’re all so smart but so so stupid!”

“W-Wait a second Karin! There’s no need to be rude about it–!”

I consoled the newly dejected Ushiwakamaru and chided Karin before we said our goodbyes once more. As Ushiwakamaru swung her tongs in a wave, Voyager waved a small hand back in response.

“You know, it almost seemed like Rurihime knew you from somewhere Kōyō.”

After I asked, Karin nodded in response.

“How do I put this, it’s sort of like we knew each other before we actually got acquainted with one another? Since we’ve come to pray at this shrine before she saw Momi and remembered who we were.”

“Hmmm. Kōyō, were you coming to offer worship to Sugawara no Michizane, perhaps?”

Sugawara no Michizane was a person who lived during the early Heian Era. Meanwhile, Kijyo Kōyō lived during the middle-period of the Heian Era, which would have been around one hundred years after Michizane’s death. That was around the time that his haunting storms would have been raging.

(Ah…)

I had forgotten a much more important piece of the puzzle.

While I had my moment of clarity, Karin told me what Kōyō was saying back in her Spirit Form.

“She said ‘No, that’s incorrect. I was visiting the shrine to worship more ancient Gods’.”

“I see… Now I understand. It’s Togakushi Shrine. That small shrine was Togakushi Shrine, wasn’t it?”

“Togakushi, as in the place from around Momi’s hometown? I think it was near… Nagano Prefecture, right?”

“Mhm. That’s it. Mount Togakushi, Oninasato Village, the place where Mount Izuna used to be– Wait, Karin, shouldn’t you know all of this as Kōyō’s Master?”

“Ahaha, sorry, my bad.”

Originally Yushima Tenjin was a shrine dedicated to the Gods of Togakushi, prior to the enshrinement of Michizane… In other words, it was dedicated to the Kami associated with the Legend of Ama-no-Iwato in Japanese mythology.

Since she can no longer hope to visit the Togakushi Shrine in the Shinshū Province, that shrine at Yushima Tenjin must have become a very important place for her.

To think that the shrine associated with Togakushi is protecting the Spiritual Ley Lines of Akihabara. It would make me incredibly happy if Kōyō were to pray for the peace of this city while keeping such thoughts within her heart.

Yet, in spite of that, I’m currently denying such favor as I abandon my own responsibilities toward the same thing.

(Speaking of the Gods… There are Divine Servants too. Those bastards who attacked the city were Divine Spirits, no mistaking it…)

Servants from the mythical era when the greater Gods roamed, Divine Spirits are those who have surrendered a part of their soul in order to become a Servant. They are particularly rare in Mosaic City, despite the fact that it’s home to countless Servants. It’s likely that there’s only one per city, and among them, I still don’t know of any related to Gods from Japanese mythology.

(There are some minor deities from a folk lore level registered here and there, but…)

If such a being were to manifest, it would be a very powerful entity, one who would have an advantage from the land. But the fact of the matter is that this is not the case, and as such that is why I believe the citizens still maintain true faith.

“Kōyō, thank you for this.”

“Hm? Oh, you mean like for the prayers? If that’s the case, you should know that Voyager prayed with us too!”

“That’s just because he’ll imitate anything he sees.”

“He’s so innocent and fresh, right? It’s like he’s just been born!”

We stared at Voyager’s back a few steps ahead of us for a while as we walked through the park.

“—So then, what the heck is your plan here? What do you think you’re doing, asking someone else to handle your work for you?“ Karin asked me in the serious tone from before.

“It’s not like I quit my job as a Nightwatch I… I’d like to return to it if I can, if possible. Actually, I think I have to. Whether or not Rurihime will keep doing it when that time comes will depend on how she feels about it.”

Karin stopped in her tracks and grabbed onto my hand tightly.

My left hand, which still felt uncomfortable from the Command Seals being engraved into it—

“Eri-pie, answer this question honestly. This isn’t about what anyone else wants. I’m asking you. What do you want to do?”

“Erice wants to go.”

The boy’s words swallowed us whole.

Voyager answered the question. Clearly, like the sharp ring of a ship’s bell declaring that the time to put out to sea had finally come.

And the deflated sails of my heart swelled with a heavy sense of unease as the tailwinds of defiance blew through them.

I felt as though I had read this exact scene in a book somewhere before.

Even still, Karin continued to ask us questions.

“...Where? Where do you want to go?”

“To Fuyuki.”

Due to length, I split Chapter 11 into parts to post as I go. For the first part, click here!

For Chapter 11 Part 2, click here!

For Chapter 11 Part 3, click here!

Chapter 11 Part 4

Chapter 11 Finished

Chapter 12

Chapter 13

Chapter 14

Chapter 15

Chapter 16
    Last edited by Coggy; December 10th, 2022 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Formatting mistake

And for anyone interested, TL Notes for Chapter 10 are posted here!
    First, I began tl’ing this chapter almost immediately after seeing Clyton’s response giving me permission to take up the TL. I had only intended to do 1 or 2 pages just to get into a rhythm then wait to see if he’d send me anything he had tl’d already so I could just edit that and… I ended up tl’ing for 7 hours straight since I was enjoying it so much. When I finally got his message back, he had sent me what he had but I had already done all but a few lines of what he had done. Whoops, could’ve saved myself a ton of work.

It wasn’t in vain though, as I was able to heavily cross-reference his work with my own. Some of the lines you see, starting from "Suddenly, her eyes opened wide as she yelled “Dossei!”...." and ending halfway through the sentence "With the threat from the outside made clear," were translated by Clyton, but edited by me as I tried to make sure our TL styles blended together.

The rest from there is all me again. Hopefully the TL reads well, and if anyone spots any inaccuracies or weird things let me know.

Second, there’s the thing about "Umebayashi Park" in this chapter. I considered making this "Bairin Park" (an actual park located in Gifu, which is a good distance from Tokyo... and definitely not to the north of Akihabara.) due to the kanji, but then I realized it could also be "sea plum park" when you read the individual characters and whatnot. I considered making it "Sea Plum Grotto" or something of the like, but that didn't sit well with me either as it felt plain wrong.

I consulted with a friend who works in TL often and has been to Japan a few times, and he helped me with my research. After doing a bit of digging, he showed me that there is actually a store in Ueno called Umebayashi, and so I decided to use "Umebayashi Park" considering the setting being a single city built with the remains of Tokyo that, in a lot of ways, attempts to emulate the wider areas of Japan.

Third, the “houseboat” that Rurihime arrives on is specifically a 屋形船. This is often translated as a houseboat or a pleasure boat. I thought about just using "Yakatabune" in the tl due to the history behind the term and the fact that said history could mean that maybe they specifically belong to a servant who's turned them into ferries. But they're also used for sightseeing in IRL modern Tokyo, so that felt unnecessary. So in the end, I just used the regular tl for it.

Fourth, the shrine is serving Agemanju. This is "Tempura Manju" or Fried Manju, which are steamed manju cakes coated in tempura batter and deep fried. I went with Tempura Manju instead of leaving the Japanese, since I feel it gets the point across and was trying to avoid overly using Japanese in the EN TL.

Fifth there's the term 対サーヴァント which I just made "Anti-Servant" and similar expressions using that term. I was struggling with this one for a bit, but found some precedent in Clyton's ch9 tl (the images from the start of the book) as well as Fate/EXTRA Material: Encyclopedia of Fate/EXTRA on Typemoondict.

Next up, another terminology thing. Erice says "神話時代" towards the end of the chapter. From what I know, this is not the kanji typically used for "Age of Gods" so I avoided using that term even though it originally seemed right. After all, there's a chance she doesn't know that specific expression since Requiem is its own world, so I figured I would play it safe for now and correct later if that specific terminology does arise.

Lastly, at the end of the chapter when Voyager says "Erice has to go" the text immediately after in Japanese is 息を吞む。That last kanji not used often from what I know, as in (in addition to its own meaning) it is an antiquated form of saying のむ to drink/swallow. There are a lot of potential ways to translate this, but I decided to go with "The boy’s words swallowed us whole." in the end, since I felt as though the conversation was about Voyager completely overwhelming the convo for the two girls.

Overall, it was a lot of fun translating this chapter. Something about the way Meteo writes is quite enjoyable to translate, so I can't help look forward to getting CH11 out ASAP. Though, I will say that it is a significantly higher page count so please have patience. Thanks for reading!

Also whoops, I didn't mean for Chapter 10 to end up embedded in the OG Master Post. Hopefully the formatting is fine!
    Last edited by Coggy; December 10th, 2022 at 12:48 PM.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Putting the chapters as collapse tags in the index is a unique format. I wonder how it will feel like to read the whole book flowing in a single post.

US Friend Code
    Thanks again for doing this!

I also really enjoy Meteo's writing style, even having it filtered through a translation. Requiem just reads really good to me, and I enjoyed Salem in GO a lot too.

Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    Putting the chapters as collapse tags in the index is a unique format. I wonder how it will feel like to read the whole book flowing in a single post.
    Yeah that was originally a mistake on my part (didn't realize the chapter would be added to the OG post) but I may just roll with it from here, since it fits in rather well.

US Friend Code
    I also hope Rurihime gets art in volume 3 (whenever that ends up coming out), I like her.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Coggy View Post
    Yeah that was originally a mistake on my part (didn't realize the chapter would be added to the OG post) but I may just roll with it from here, since it fits in rather well.
    Yeah, posts merge automatically if you don’t wait 10-15 minute between them (or someone else puts their own post between your two).

'You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory' ResidentSeagull's Avatar
    A comprehensive guide to living in the Balkans: Step 1) Leave
    Your work is much appreciated. Good luck!

nice

Figured I should give a quick update on this so it doesn't look like I started the project and then dropped it/disappeared:
    Was caught up in finishing a different TL project so my progress on Requiem has been a bit slow for the past couple weeks as that project ended up taking a lot longer to finish than anticipated, however it just came to a close this weekend.

I'm planning to get chapter 11 finalized and posted within the next week or so, and once that's done I'm hoping to go a lot faster from here for the rest of the month. I'm not sure if my original goal of getting it all out before the NA version of the Requiem event will come to fruition with it being only about a month away, and for that I want to apologize.

See you soon with a proper story update!

US Friend Code
    Thanks for the update. I wouldn't worry too much about getting finishing before NA gets the event, since JP's run of the event didn't even have volume 2 at all yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Reign View Post
    Thanks for the update. I wouldn't worry too much about getting finishing before NA gets the event, since JP's run of the event didn't even have volume 2 at all yet.
    Haha, that's true. I was hoping to help some NA folks not get spoiled on stuff the event tells, but I guess it has been 2 years so most people who are fans of the LN already would already know a lot of the big details just through the event/general osmosis.

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Thanks for not dropping it, I'm a big Voyager fan

Hey all, I've ended up splitting Chapter 11 up a bit for posting due to its length. In my copy of the book it comes out to around 92 pages, which I've resumed working on in my spare time this past week. I'm mainly posting it split because I'm still working on the second half of it/editing certain chunks that I don't think are quite "up to par" so to speak, but I really hate the fact that it's been so long since I posted actual TL'd content. As such, the first chunk is all good to go in my opinion, so I figured I'd post it right now for people who don't mind reading the chapters broken up a bit. I expect to have the second chunk done within the next few days, then the third (and hopefully final) chunk by the end of the week. Then it's on to Chapter 12, which is about the same length as Chapter 11, so there's a decent chance I do a similar style for that depending on how things shape up with my schedule/TL speed.

As for TL notes, I'll post a full log of em at the end of the chapter for the people who are interested.

Anyway, that's enough preamble. Here's the first chunk of Chapter 11:

For Chapter 11 Part 1, click here.

Early in the morning, on the day I was to leave Akihabara—-

In the midst of the cool haze that covered Station Square stood Karin, alone, at the spot where her voice had echoed along with the performance of a lone street musician.

I had sent her a message about my departure from the city last night, despite knowing that if I told her she would try to come with me.

Because that’s the type of person she is. I knew that.

It troubled me greatly but… I knew that telling her was the only way.

If I went through with deceiving her about my exit and leaving without telling her, I would regret it for my entire life.

“Yo Eri-pie!” She said with a smile that had a hint of bashfulness to it. “And a ‘yo’ to you as well, Voyager.”

“Morning.”

“Good morning… Karin.”

The boy’s scarf swayed in the morning sun, and at its touch fluttered as if it were a golden torch. I still wasn’t used to the sound of his voice, spoken with childishly broken language, coming from my side.

My feelings of wanting Karin to come with us and my feelings of not wanting her to follow continued to entangle themselves within my heart, turning into a massive lump of emotion that I could not untie.

The fact that she was able to come out of the recent storm of slaughter unharmed was something that I thought could only have been a result of all of her stockpiled good fortunes surfacing one after another.

Not to mention the fact that this was definitely different from any of the previous unpredictable Servant-related incidents. The enemy this time would be an organized opponent, and as a result merely traveling with me would put her in danger.

(Or maybe it’s possible… Could it be that I’m underestimating Karin and Kōyō…? No, I’m positive that couldn’t be the case. I know for sure that Kōyō is a wise and sensible person. But, even knowing that…)

There was one other reason to avoid traveling with them. A complicated question, one to which I had yet to find a way to give a definite answer.

(The “Holy Grail” with which I made my contract and the Holy Grail the citizens of Mosaic City are connected to… are they both truly an existence that stem from the same root?)

I just could not find a way to believe that the Holy Grail, which bestowed Command Seals and Servants unto all of the citizens, including Karin, would grant its blessings to me now, after I had already lived 14 years of my life. I did not WANT to believe it.

I figured it wouldn’t hurt to ask the person most connected to the matter, Voyager, but when I had tried he just gave me a puzzled look, as if he was unable to determine what the answer was himself.

The boy didn’t even really understand what a Servant was, so it wasn’t really a surprise. After all, the Holy Grail was supposed to bestow knowledge of both the Holy Grail War and of universal information about things common to the modern world upon Servants.

Voyager was lacking in both.

(It’s not like I’m entirely without a means of confirming whether or not they’re the same but… that method is…)

Let’s imagine what would happen if I were to use a single “stroke” of the Command Seals engraved upon my left hand.

The result of such a thing should be obvious:

If my Seals were bestowed upon me by a Holy Grail that stems from the same root as the one that gives power to the citizens of Mosaic City, the Seal would be restored.

But even knowing that, at this point in time I absolutely could not afford to take such a risk. If the possibility that they were different came to be true the results of my test would be irreversible.

(And if they really were different then…. That would mean that another “Holy Grail” has come into existence…)

Until the answer to that question is known to me, it is too early to make a decision.

What Caren had said– “The Holy Grail War… is not yet over.”

If there was anyone who had the answers I wanted, it would be Chitose or Lucius, but asking them about things relating to their Command Spells was not an easy thing to do.

Such a thing was considered strategic information, the secrets of a Magus. That information concerned their very existence, having won the Holy Grail War through great sacrifice.

There wouldn’t be any family sentiment to help me there.

(Lucius had pointed his spear towards Voyager… he tried to destroy my Servant. Chitose must have decided that Voyager was dangerous… She had determined that he was an enemy to her!)

The morning train, still only sparsely populated by passengers, moved as if it were gliding as it crossed the railway bridge over the sea.

I sat in a cramped four-person booth facing toward Karin, with Voyager in the seat next to mine, face firmly pressed against the window. Today he had been extremely restless and excited since the morning, hurriedly pushing me to rush about. It was a bit like how a dog might act when taking it out for a walk around the neighborhood.

In the short time since the train had left the skyscrapers of Akihabara, the scenery outside the window had changed dramatically. The tips of ruined skyscrapers, which had been abandoned fourteen years ago and left uninhabited since, dotted the ashen horizon.

Karin and I had already become familiar with the landscape, a sight that had not changed for the better.

As he stared out the window with a devouring gaze, Karin called out to him.

“This your first time seeing the sea, Voyager? The beach we saw yesterday at Tenman-gū Shrine was man-made ya know.”

“House.” Voyager said with a sigh, his forehead still glued to the glass of the train car's window.

“Hmm, a house? Where’s it at? Oooh, under the sea, right?” Karin and I peeked out the window together. We could make out the faint outlines of buildings below the surface of the ocean.

The apartment buildings and shopping districts in which people lived before the War were now drifting away at the bottom of the sea, where marine life had been drastically reduced and the past laid undisturbed like a sleeping beauty.

“The sea…. I saw it. From the sky. The sea I knew was… much… more blue… more blue—”

“A dark blue sea, you say? You must’ve seen a tropical sea!”

Voyager nodded in response to Karin’s words.

I mumbled the name of a tropical sea that came to mind.

“Cape Canaveral…. I think. It’s the sea in Florida where some rocket launch pads were located.”

“Yes. That’s correct. Flo ri da.”

The space probe Voyager was launched in the Summer of 1977, from a base facing the Atlantic Ocean. As of now, that would have been about half a century ago.

“Then, I guess that is my house. Flo ri da. It must be. Florida.”

“Your house is Florida? Hmm… I find it hard to understand when you put it like that.”

The Voyager Program was supposedly spearheaded by a NASA-supervised research institute in Pasadena within the state of California, though the probe may have been assembled at the Space Center in Florida.

Where is the boundary line at which he would find his sense of self as a Heroic Spirit? Or does that sense trace all the way back to the initial inception of the Program, the point in time at which the concept of exploration was established?

“Hehehe.”

I shrug my shoulders in response, and he simply smiles at me without worry before turning to the window again, narrowing his eyes with a look of longing.

“I could really feel it. I was listening to it. The sounds of the winds from the ocean… and the sound of the waves.” He quietly closed his eyes and pricked up his ears to listen.

“Thunder. Rain. Bubbling. Lava— The sounds of this star. I have to remember… all of it… But… It has changed. Entirely.” As he leaned against the glass, Voyager followed the path to his memories. It was as if he were listening directly to Earth. “I cannot hear… the song of the whales anymore…”

“....Do whales sing? How do they do that?”

“They sing. It was a good thing.”

He tilted his head as if to say “Didn’t you know that already?”.

“Kyuuu.”

“....Kyuuu?”

He performed his special mimicry once again.

Kyuuuu… Kyuuuuuuu…. Kyuuuun…. Kokokoko Korokorokoro….

The boy suddenly stepped down into the aisle as he began to sing and slowly swayed his body in a dance. He was clearly trying to imitate the form of a whale swimming in the ocean.

“...Ahahaha! I’m a whale too!” Karin joined in without a moment of hesitation.

They sang a curious song together as Karin moved in and out of Voyager’s reach, twisting and turning her body through the surrounding area with gentle steps. There was even a little bit of spicy belly dancing thrown in.

“Hey, cut it out Karin…” I was embarrassed, but I couldn’t bring myself to say anything since we were in a car that was virtually empty.

As the boy’s body swayed, his flowing golden scarf made it look as if they were really under the sea, and it made me think that I wanted to see more of their dance.

I had never seen a real whale, after all.

It was the same for every single one of us young people, but he and the whales lived in the same time period.

Though, it does feel ridiculous to say that a space probe “lived”.

(Voyager… A Servant. He’s a genuine Servant.)

In the middle of an occurrence entirely lacking in altruism, it hit me once again.

Whales, fish, and all other types of marine life had seen their populations plummet. The birds of the ocean as well.

All of it is the fault of the Holy Grail War.

Before our train arrived at its destination I asked Voyager some questions, the purpose of which was to determine if the level of common information from modern times that the Holy Grail would introduce a normal Servant to had been given to him.

It would be an inconvenience if things that were normal pieces of knowledge had not been conveyed to him, especially in the case of an emergency… But in the end I was given almost none of the answers I had desired, and instead ended up giving a lecture.

On today’s lesson plan we had “The Holy Grail War”.

Ever since the days leading up to the forming of our contract, I had repeated the same lecture countless times. As expected for someone who said they knew nothing of war.

“---We are taught about the war that transpired 14 years ago… ‘The Holy Grail War’, during the schooling that takes place over our compulsory education. It’s our obligation to do so, even though not everybody wishes to speak about this event. Some families even aspire to make sure their children do not know anything of it, if at all possible for them.”

Inferring what I meant through the expression on my face as I spoke, Voyager glanced over at Karin. She pretended not to notice, leaning on her elbow and looking out the window of the train instead.

“A great war… happened, right?”

“....Yeah. It happened. There was a great war. One that every living thing on this planet was dragged into, the biggest war ever in history. No nation, no person, not even any Heroic Spirit who had been summoned was safe… It was that terrifying kind of war. And as a result of it, our planet ended up in such an awful state. Voyager, the beautiful Earth that you knew is already gone… All that it left behind was a mockery, this imitation of its form.”

This was the reality that every Junior High Student in Mosaic City knew.

He was dumbfounded.

His eyes were shaking as he stared at me in response. This was the first time I had ever seen such sorrow expressed upon his face.

“......”

In a change from her earlier festive look, the corners of the now listless Karin’s mouth raised into a suggestive smirk. She put her hand onto Voyager’s head and began to lazily ruffle his hair, like a big sister would do to her baby brother on a whim.

Voyager seemed discontent with this.

Naturally, considering I’ve never done anything like that to him before.

“....And the whales?”

His naive question had to be responded to with a cruel answer.

“I believe most of the whales became victims of the war. They were caught up in the large-scale drone operations.”

“Drone?”

“That’s right, drones. A drone is a weapon that flies in the sky, unmanned. A machine that makes offensive strikes against its enemies by using its own judgment regarding the progression of a battle. The war was a war of drones– It’s estimated that at the height of the conflict there were over ten-thousand drones for every one soldier. From small drones the size of a miniscule insect to large drones that were the size of a passenger plane, they flew throughout the battlefield under semi-autonomous control. But there weren’t just drones that flew through the sky. There were also drones that could dig beneath the earth’s surface in order to infiltrate underground facilities, drones that could swim underwater, as well as various other abnormal types that were developed. There were even drones that were disguised to look like dolphins or whales in order to launch suicide-bomber style attacks on enemy submarines. During the war anything shaped like a fish that approached would be met with a thorough offensive, no matter what the creature truly was, in the name of self-defense…”

If any large marine mammals were still alive in the ocean today, it would have to be the result of a miracle.

The United States of America’s space center at Cape Canaveral had become a battleground at the very beginning of things. Right now, it was a wasteland covered by craters who served to collect the filthy water there. Florida’s beautiful waters would never return again.

“....The drones are… machines… aren’t they? Then that means they… are just like me.”

“They are NOT like you!”

The words came out with more intensity than I thought they would, causing Voyager’s eyes to widen. Even Karin looked to be taken aback.

But I did not stop.

“They could not be the same as you. You… may not be unconnected to war and weaponry, but you and the drones are different.”

Karin took over my words from there.

“...Well, you’ve got that right. Voyager, you’re different from a drone, arentcha? 'Cause drones are sorta like evil spirits. For our parents’ generation at least, they’re a symbol of horror that you shouldn’t even want to talk about. In our Mosaic City we somehow managed to eliminate them, but for a little while after the war there were tons of people who ended up becoming victims at the hands of some of the more stubborn drones while trying to deal with them.”

“....Eeeehhhh…?” He furrowed his brow and looked restlessly around the moving train car, surveying it.

Karin laughed at him.

I didn’t think it was an unreasonable response. On a first look, the train would appear to be running through an awfully undefended area.

“These tracks are just fine, Voyager. The railways that connect the Mosaic Cities to one another are still inside of the Bounded Field of Mosaic City, so they’re well protected… Though, outside of Mosaic City is Hell.”

There were still a few cases in which single-function drones were permitted for the purpose of maintaining minimal urban functions and maintenance. They could be used to measure contamination in areas that humans were unable to trespass, as well as operate as surveillance cameras with strictly limited operation space.

Most of them were Old World wirelessly-controlled machines that required an operator to function, not unlike radio-controlled devices. If it is possible to substitute something with Magecraft, we do so to the best of our abilities.

In consideration of the public sentiment towards them, any airframe registered with the authorities was cleverly camouflaged in order to avoid contact with the public eye.

“Hell, huh… Ugh– the old me would’ve never believed in something like that! But now I’ve been hanging out with Erice for such a long time. I’ve learned about those trespassers coming in from the outside, those unauthorized foreign Servants, and now I’ve stopped doubting these kinda things.”

Right, in our generation of youths there was no one who had personally experienced the terrible devastation of the outside. It was not something one would be aware of in their daily life.

That much was Mosaic City’s peace… was…

“Even now, an unknowable number of drones are hidden away in the wasteland, waiting in hibernation. Because their life span is semi-permanent. If an airplane were to fly through the sky, any drone that sensed it would awaken and shoot it down in an instant.”

The ocean was the same. If any ship tried to conquer the sea, it would be unforgivably unsafe.

Captain Hendrick and his Master, Ahasuerus, had set sail upon the wandering Dutch ship known as “The Flying Dutchman”. They set off on their voyage together despite knowing full well that they would be in mortal danger.

Truly, God and the Devil of the Sea had cursed those two.

And the location I had my eyes on was Fuyuki, a place which I could only reach by traveling on foot through that Hell.

Therefore, I needed to be prepared. I needed a powerful weapon.

I needed something that Caren Fujimura had left behind.

Last edited by Coggy; December 10th, 2022 at 12:46 PM.

US Friend Code
    Thanks for your work.

I seriously love this setting, and the imagery of a train going over a flooded ruined city is so cool.

It's also interesting how Voyager is already speaking more coherently than he did in the first book. I had heard that happened in this volume but I expected it to be more gradual.

Yeah, I find Voyager's speech patterns really interesting. In Volume 1 he has his moment toward the end where he really gives a speech, and from there in volume 2 he still uses a lot of broken up text (lot of 、and elipsis) or hiragana at times, but he's generally forming full sentences pretty well, even if somewhat slow. It does seem to vary however, sometimes his speech is still really broken up, though most often that's him not knowing certain words or struggling to put the word together "properly" (Meteo seems to really enjoy having him use Hira or Kata and then Erice responds to him with a Kanji, for example).

For Chapter 11 Part 2, click here.

Shinjuku.

The city where I was born. The city where I was raised.

The city where I had lived together with my mother and father.

Our train arrived at my old hometown without incident.

Ever since I had begun to live on my own in Akihabara I had only returned to this city a few times, but now, because it was necessary for me to come here for my ”work”, returning couldn’t be avoided.

Naturally, I avoided visiting my parents’ home, where Chitose dwelled.

Shinjuku was the core of Mosaic City and, as of now, had effectively become its capital. The city had grown so much that it had fully regained the prosperity it had in the Pre-War days, and the population count of its inhabitants was so much larger than the other cities that you couldn’t even compare them.

While Akihabara was a place where coasts and resorts were the main selling points of the city, Shinjuku had a certain character to its liveliness, a certain passion, that was as different as could be.

If you compared it to the other Mosaic Cities, the most distinctive characteristic you would find was undeniably the way the city had been consumed by a large-scale revival of customs and public morals from both the early years of the Showa Era and the age of the Taishō era.

I don’t know just who among the people had their wishes reflected by the Holy Grail during the Post-War reconstruction of this damaged city but…

Seriously, it was a totally drastic measure to take. The nostalgia and fondly-remembered days experienced in the minds of the citizens here was nothing more than a fabricated taste for the past, a manufactured nostalgia.

It had been one century since that time.

Who had personally experienced, or could even remember, the way of life that existed one hundred years ago?

That was the city where I was raised, Shinjuku.

I had felt utterly humiliated when I learned the reality of things, and then I became totally apathetic.

It was like the oceans from which the birds and whales had disappeared– Because this planet had forfeit its nature, the abnormalities of Mosaic City had become normality, had become the everyday life that needed to be safeguarded.

My very foundation, my beloved hometown, had become nothing more than a theme park.

As things were, it was a parody of infantile regression. It was impossible to love such a thing.

Even so, the people had chosen…. Shinjuku had chosen that fabricated nostalgia.

—Shinjuku Station overflowed with people in the morning.

Many of them were businessmen who were employed in Shinjuku, accompanied by their Servants, and in the wait for the train to depart some of them unfurled their newspapers while others hurried over to the station’s shops in a rush to get their breakfast.

Less than a week had passed since the tragedy that had left countless deceased in its wake, and yet they worked through their daily routines quietly and with a lack of concern, as if nothing had happened.

A slight sigh of amazement came from my side, as next to me Voyager’s eyes sparkled and brimmed with curiosity at the scenery spread out before us. Seeing the scene of a morning that was so different from the usual calm of morning in Akihabara excited him.

If I took my eyes off of him for even a moment, who knows where he’d saunter off to.

“You know, we didn’t come here today to stroll around”

“....Is that so?”

“Yeah, that’s so.”

On the other hand, Karin stood pressed close to my chest, with an understandable look of dissatisfaction on her face.

“Hey, Eri-pie? I thought we were headin’ to Fuyuki today? Just how far away do we have to walk to get to our connecting train?”

“I can’t just go there so abruptly. To begin with, the train to Fuyuki doesn’t even exist anymore.”

“Woah, what’s this? Oooh~ I get it! You’re still looking for a good reason to back out this late in the game~? Must feel nice to know getting there is actually impossible, right? So, why’d you go through the trouble of asking Rurihime to take over your Nightwatch duties then?” I noticed passersby glancing at us a few times, and found myself feeling embarrassed.

“You listen here… Going off on ‘adventures’ without planning things out is one of my least favorite occurrences, got it?”

“Seriously? I guess you’ve got the thinking of a gamer who goes ‘Now I’m fully prepared! I’ve grinded exp til I hit the level cap, I’m finally ready to get started!’, huh? Is that really any fun?”

“It doesn’t have to be fun. This is not some kind of game.” Deciding to leave Karin to continue her angry complaints by herself, I turned over to Voyager. “Listen to me, Voyager. Shinjuku is a pretty big place, so I’m going to give you a quick overview of the city.”

He nodded in agreement, giving me the O.K.

While I gave my explanation to him, we left the first platform. The station was shaped into a half-circle, which we moved along as we headed for the passageway that led to the pedestrian deck on the upper level.

The view to the outside was poor from the underground area, and after leaving it the sky became barely visible through the windows.

“To begin, the large building where we are now is called ‘Shinjuku Central Station’. This is a hub station where trains to and from Akihabara, Shibuya, Tama, and the other cities arrive and depart. From here, you can also take a tram that wraps all around Shinjuku itself like the meshwork of a net.”

Gathered in front of the transit map posted on the wall was a group of citizens, most likely those who came from other cities. Voyager floated over and took a glance at it.

After he was done we had to calm down a still-complaining Karin, and then we were able to walk our way out of the station. I had not seen Kōyō since this morning, though I knew she was probably still nearby in her Spirit Form.

“The whole of Shinjuku is a three-dimensional structure that looks sort of like the leaves on a tree as they overlap with one another. Generally it’s one town per leaf, each divided into different blocks. Here, look, you can already see it just ahead of us, right?”

“Woaaaaah…”

He had the look of someone who was absolutely inspired from seeing the Shinjuku skyline in person for the first time. He rushed out from the station building and ran forward as he leapt up to the railing at the handrail on the edge of the deck adjacent to it.

“Wah! Watch it, Voyager! Ahaha!” The pigeons in the station's square were all startled by him and flew away in unison, the tips of their feathers tickling Karin as they went by.

The scenery of this cityscape had already become familiar to me, but for the Servant from the Old World who had just been summoned here, just about everything was brand new. I stood next to him as he motionlessly gazed at it with pure concentration.

“In a large city, a single block can be several hundred meters to a kilometer squared, though some are as small as a few dozen meters squared. For address notation and for the convenience of city administration, they’re roughly divided into three layers: Upper, Middle, and Lower.”

“Buil…dings… bill…boards… neon… This is a big, big city, isn’t it? And it’s also… terribly tall. There are parts of it for the day and parts of it for the night, and all of it is overlapping… It’s so pretty. It looks like corral.”

“Like a corral? Oh, you mean it looks like coral, as in the sea creature? So that’s how you see it… I guess it could look like that.”

The only coral I knew was the fake coral from the artificial beaches. There was no way for me to know if the rough and bumpy texture or the brilliant hues of that coral were like the real thing or not.

Even so, that’s how the city looked to him.

From the deck of the city’s mid-level his blue pupils slowly scanned the scenery of the cityscape, before they swept back around to the tip of my nose.

“This is… Tsunobazu, right?”

“...Yeah, that’s right. The zone around Central Station is a block known as “Tsunohazu”. It’s the widest block here.” I stuck my index finger out in front of me and spun around on my heel like the turning of a weather vane. “On the west side you can find Kashiwagi and Yodobashi. On the south side is Junisou. To the east are Okubo and Banshū. On top of all those, you can find several other blocks snugly between, like Aizumi and Wakaba, but this should give you a rough feel for things…”

“Erice!”

“....?”

As soon as I finished speaking, he called out to me.

The boy grasped onto the railing and pushed onto his tip toes with all his might, pointing to a section of the city that commanded a view from an upper level.

“W-What is it?”

“That place over there is “Hanazono”, right? The place where… Erice was born?”

“Tch…”

The name of the block that I had purposefully left unnamed came spilling forth from his lips with a smile.

He had probably noticed that I was fully aware of that place.

Then he managed to guess what it was by comparing that awareness with the transit map of the Shinjuku area, which he must have put to memory in the brief moment he had looked at it.

“It’s so pretty, this place. The people, the greenery, it’s full of it… They’re full of life.”

“...Yep.”

As I nodded back at him begrudgingly, he gave me a smile and a giggle as if he had just found some kind of treasure.

–That’s right.

Hanazono, the “Flower Garden”, was the neighborhood where I lived with Chitose. For a brief time, my parents lived there too.

But, to me, it now looked like it was just a tiny flower bed buried in a mish-mash of junk and covered by a cloud of dust.

In this city, few Servants were materialized during the daytime, at least when compared to Akihabara.

And even when they were materialized, the Servants didn’t just laze around, but they themselves acted with purpose, and most were wearing a suit or the uniform of an office in order to support their Masters in their work.
    “Do you come here often, Karin? To Shinjuku I mean.”

“Wha? Me? …Nope, I don’t come around here much. Shinjuku is a city dedicated to adults. Not really a place to play around in.”

“So that’s what you think… Though I don’t agree. I mean, it’s true that the business districts are there solely for adults, but there are plenty of museums around, and even department stores all over the place. Not to mention restaurants and the like.”

“Restaurants, eh… Now that you mention it, I have come over here for dinner with my family before. We had curry at Nakamuraya.”

“Oh?”

“It was a long time ago. Besides, you can get curry anywhere. Not really sure why we came all the way here for it… And now that we’re talking about food, I’m feelin’ pretty hungry. Let’s go eat in someplace. Ooooh! I spy a bakery with some freshly baked bread over there~!”

“We didn’t come here to play around. First of all, it’s not even time for lunch yet. Second, there’s someone here I have to go meet up with.”

“C’mooon, you got an appointment with someone? Lemme guess, Shinjuku’s City Management AI? Caren, right?”

“...You got it in one. How’d you know?”

Sometimes this girl is weirdly perceptive.

Still, I’m sure she hasn’t managed to guess the actual details of my business here.

There’s no way she knows that I’ve tried to contact Caren Himuro countless times since handing over my duties as a Nightwatch, just to be put on hold or ignored. Or about the fact that I’ve not received a proper response from her.

“I knew ‘cause my Eri-pie doesn’t have any friends! If you were going out of your way to come here for something, there’s really only one thing I could guess.”

“You were using that kind of sloppy logic?”

“You don’t… have any? Any friends…”

“Ugh…”

Voyager had looked at me with upturned eyes. A look of concern… No, his eyebrows were knit with an expression of pity.

Stop that.

Please… stop it.

“–No, I have some! I have some around here. It just so happens that... friends around my age are a species at risk of extinction. But it’s not a question of ‘how many’ or ‘how few’ when it comes to these things, right?”

He kept a look of doubt on his face as I finished.

Ahh, give me a break already…

“A-Anyway, Karin, that manager isn’t called “Caren”... Her distinguished name is “Himuro”, so please call her that. Though there’s no doubt about the fact that she’s a member of the Caren Series.”

“...Er, yeah, that’s true. My bad for that one— Huh? The heck’s that?”

Noticing something strange happening nearby us, Karin shifted her gaze elsewhere. I turned myself around, since it seemed like someone had called for me.

A crowd of people had gathered in front of a shop on the station street, and voices from the group drew my attention.

“ERI~!” “OUR BELOVED ERIIIIIII!!” “ERIRI’S here~!” “MISTRESS ERI!” “LADY ERI!”

(What the…?)

The high-pitched voices in my ears were filled with calls of “Eri”, which was none other than my nickname.

What is going on here?

“They said… Eri, didn’t they? Are those people over there… Your friends?”

“Huh? No they’re not… Er, I don’t think they are?”

“Wanna go check it out?”

I began to approach the store, unable to resist the charm of the cheers calling my name repeatedly.

It said “Clothing Rental Shop” on the front of the store, and it looked to be a newly redecorated store that had just opened its doors recently.

It was a relief to see that the reason for the crowding wasn’t another uproar caused by a corpse.

A group of around thirty people was crowded around the storefront, and in the dead center of it all, surrounded by a group of noisy followers, was a group of gorgeous girls giving off such an energetic aura that it brightened up the surrounding area.

It was a set of female Servants, each with heads adorned with hair as red as freshly drawn blood, and two twisted horns to match. They also had the tail of a lizard peeking out from their waists.

(What’s up with this girl–)

I suddenly recognized those distinctive characteristics of hers.

Her True Name was “Báthory Erzsébet”, also known as Elizabeth Báthory.

There was a five person line-up of her all in one place.

They were each wrapped up in retro-style costumes, which they must have just put on, considering she was originally a Hungarian Countess who had become famously known as a classic example of a ‘wicked woman’.

As for why she had manifested in the form of a young girl, the Holy Grail must have, as usual, chosen a figure from when the balance between her inhuman side and her innocence were at their peak, due to its distorted style of command.

“So, how is it? What do you think, my Little Squirrels and Piglets? Does this ‘Taisho Modern’ outfit look good on me?”

“Alright, why don’t you take as many pictures of me as your hearts can handle!” “Which of us are you looking at!?” “Take a picture of me, my Puppy!”

They wore kimono that had arrow feather patterns and a camellia motif, along with a navy blue hakama. This was one of the ‘orthodox styles’ of the female citizens of Shinjuku.

Each member of the group moved out to strike a charming pose one after the other, letting the audience capture as much footage as they wanted with their phone cameras.

“Haaah… It wasn’t ‘Eri’ they were calling… It was Eli. Like, ‘ELIzabeth’ Eli… Pretty easy to mix up…”

Voyager seemed to also recognize that the girls were all Servants as soon as we saw them.

“They all… have the same exact face? ‘Quintuplets’... I think is what you call that?”

“Not in this case. Those girls up there aren’t quintuplets, just multiple versions of the same Servant who’ve been summoned at the same time. I’ve never seen so many Servants with the same Spirit Origin in one place though.”

“Woooah… So that type of thing… is happening here?”

Each of them may have a different Class, but even so that’s still fairly rare.

The people surrounding them must be those girls’ Masters, as well as overzealous fans of Elizabeth.

The Clothing Rental Shop seemed to be a store that offered a novel service to custumers visiting Shinjuku from other parts of Mosaic City.

For human customers, they would rent out actual clothing from the early Showa period and the Taisho period. For Servant customers, an expert Magus would craft them a temporarily effective Spiritron Dress to wear as a small layer on their clothing.

For example, perhaps a small jewel imbued with magical energy would be placed on their wrist or chest, in order to keep it inconspicuous.

There were already ordinary clothing rental shops in Shinjuku that conformed to the city’s cultural standards, but the fact that this one included Servants among their customer base was an original idea.

After all, such technology was a kind of ‘hacking’ technique for Saint Graphs. In terms of Magecraft, such a thing was a very advanced technique, and in the past it would even have been illegal.

Considering the way it was being utilized so openly here, it seemed that the regulations had been relaxed.

“Oh, so it’s her! I get it now, so this is Liz’s offline meet-up. That makes way more sense~”

“You know her too, Karin? Elizabeth, I mean.”

“Yep. I see some of them around every now and then, since a few of the Liz’s live in Shibuya. They’re regulars at the Live Houses and you always see them on the electronic billboards around there. Heck, I even tried going to a live concert of theirs once, so I’ve already learned my lesson about doing that.”

“What do you mean? I think they have pretty nice voices… Anyway, those hangers-on around them must have come from Shibuya to mess around in Shinjuku too.”

Now that I’m thinking about it, Elizabeth is similar to Kōyō in a way, since both of them are reptilian creatures with big horns. Though Elizabeth seems to just have a dragon attribute, while Kijyo’s dinosaur attribute is almost her entire being.

“What a coincidence running into Lil Liz! You noticed those retro clothes too, right? They had a real ‘modern girl’ style, dontcha think? Like weren’t they WAY too cute!? And hey, ya know, ever since we got off the train, my outfit has been kinda feelin’ like it sticks out, right? That’s why I was thinking about–”

“I am NOT going to borrow an outfit. And I’m definitely not going to make such a pointless detour.”

I quickly grabbed Voyager by the hand and walked away.

If I catered to Karin’s curiosities our time wasted here would stretch out into infinity.

“Eh!? Just lemme try one on! It’s modern girl style! MODERN! GIRL!”

At the same time, the gathering of Elizabeths (and friends) began to move, and we ended up getting caught up in the middle of them. jostled and tossed about at the mercy of the crowd, until we eventually managed to hop onto a tram that had entered the square.

Last edited by Coggy; December 10th, 2022 at 12:47 PM.

Alright! According to my book, this is around halfway through Chapter 11 (which is 92 pages in my copy). I'm still working on the rest of the chapter, so I once again thank you for your patience.

Due to the length, I decided to go ahead and post some TL notes for the first and second parts of the chapter right now, rather than leave them for whenever I get the the next 40 or so pages TL'd.

Chapter 11 Part 1 and 2 TL Notes are here if you're interested:

Early on in the chapter there's the line where Erice states "(Do the “Holy Grail” with which I made my contract and the Holy Grail the citizens of Mosaic City are connected through… are they both truly an existence that stem from the same Root?) (私の契約した〝 聖杯"と…… モザイク市の市民たちと結びついている《 聖杯》は、果たして同じ根源を持つ存在なのだろうか……?)". This one was rather difficult for me to TL, due to the wording on the final part of the sentence: 果たして同じ根源を持つ存在なのだろうか……?
    Considering the Grail is a way to REACH the Root, the usage of the exact Kanji "根源" stumped me somewhat. She could be asking "Are they both an existence that stems from the root" or "Are they both an existences that contain the root" with 根源を持つ, though that specific wording is more likely to be "stem from" as it's similar to "原因を持つ" as in "having the same origin". And yet, even with this, it was somewhat unclear due to the usage of 根源 which could just be another word for "origin", yet it feels like a very specific kanji to use given the context of it in Type Moon works. I ended up putting Root, with a belief that Erice is referring to the Grail that acts as "Administrator" of the city as the "Root" in this instance and the thing with the citizens is referring to the fact they each posses one that connects them to it as the "Root" of their power, but... admittedly, I'm still unsure about that specific sentence.

This one is more of a funny one:
    At the part where Erice says "On today’s syllabus and lesson plan we had “The Holy Grail War”.", the Japanese text is actually "本日 の 講義 内容 は《 聖杯 戦争》 について。" with a furigana "シラバス" over "講義 内容". I found that to be a good use of the furi for a fun little joke and figured I'd try to convey it here, since I am not using "small text" in English and am instead combining the words or fitting both into the sentence somehow. I hope the comedic effect still came across!

Later on, I had Erice's monologue say "Karin stood pressed close to my chest" in the translation. The JP for this is 私 の 胸先 に 迫ってきた which does literally mean "against my chest" or something like it, but can be tl'd as something like "close to my side" or "by my side", but with the later line about her feeling embarrassed from passersby looking at them, I thought the more literal version made more sense here. Especially since Karin DOES feel like the type to cling to Erice's chest and complain.

For some Part 2 stuff:
    In the dialogue where Erice says "–No, I have some! I have some around here. It just so happens that there aren’t too many people around from my age group… But it’s not a question of ‘how many’ or ‘how few’ when it comes to these things, right?” she actually specifically says 同年代は壊滅状態ってだけで in regards to the "people from my age group". TL'd more literally, that would be something like "The situation is that my generation was decimated" or something like that.

I struggled with this one a bit, and decided to just make it a tl note and go less literal, simply because of the context of it, but I wanted to point out the literal translation of the line as well since I do feel it conveys something. The use of "decimate" feels like an Erice-ism, but I felt the Kanji doesn't come across the same translated.

Lastly:
    This one is less me explaining something, and more just me making a comment. If it wasn't obvious the crowd is calling out "エリ" which is the beginning of both Elizabeth and Erice's names in Japanese. I just had her hear "Eri" and went from there. She already says "まぎらわしい" which can mean like "Confusing" or "They're easily confused" when the joke is explained, so it luckily wasn't too much of a stretch to have her confuse Eri and Eli! I hope it wasn't as blatantly obvious as it feels, though.
    Last edited by Coggy; December 10th, 2022 at 12:48 PM.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Early on in the chapter there's the line where Erice states "(Do the “Holy Grail” with which I made my contract and the Holy Grail the citizens of Mosaic City are connected through… are they both truly an existence that stem from the same Root?) (私の契約した〝 聖杯"と…… モザイク市の市民たちと結びついている《 聖杯》は、果たして同じ根源を持つ存在なのだろうか……?)". This one was rather difficult for me to TL, due to the wording on the final part of the sentence: 果たして同じ根源を持つ存在なのだろうか……?
    Considering the Grail is a way to REACH the Root, the usage of the exact Kanji "根源" stumped me somewhat. She could be asking "Are they both an existence that stems from the root" or "Are they both an existences that contain the root" with 根源を持つ, though that specific wording is more likely to be "stem from" as it's similar to "原因を持つ" as in "having the same origin". And yet, even with this, it was somewhat unclear due to the usage of 根源 which could just be another word for "origin", yet it feels like a very specific kanji to use given the context of it in Type Moon works. I ended up putting Root, with a belief that Erice is referring to the Grail that acts as "Administrator" of the city as the "Root" in this instance and the thing with the citizens is referring to the fact they each posses one that connects them to it as the "Root" of their power, but... admittedly, I'm still unsure about that specific sentence.
    I can see how that'd be tricky. Context tells Erice isn't talking about the Root, but due to the word choice, you still need to include that plausible deniability. In this case, I'd just go with root lowercase. Feels like a neat solution to all of the sentence's needs.

This one is more of a funny one:
    At the part where Erice says "On today’s syllabus and lesson plan we had “The Holy Grail War”.", the Japanese text is actually "本日 の 講義 内容 は《 聖杯 戦争》 について。" with a furigana "シラバス" over "講義 内容". I found that to be a good use of the furi for a fun little joke and figured I'd try to convey it here, since I am not using "small text" in English and am instead combining the words or fitting both into the sentence somehow. I hope the comedic effect still came across!
    Meteo uses English a lot but that doesn't mean he uses English well. You don't have to abide to his misuses in the translation. Just call it a lesson plan and be done with it.

In the dialogue where Erice says "–No, I have some! I have some around here. It just so happens that there aren’t too many people around from my age group… But it’s not a question of ‘how many’ or ‘how few’ when it comes to these things, right?” she actually specifically says 同年代は壊滅状態ってだけで in regards to the "people from my age group". TL'd more literally, that would be something like "The situation is that my generation was decimated" or something like that.

I struggled with this one a bit, and decided to just make it a tl note and go less literal, simply because of the context of it, but I wanted to point out the literal translation of the line as well since I do feel it conveys something. The use of "decimate" feels like an Erice-ism, but I felt the Kanji doesn't come across the same translated.
    Your choice on this one is the exact meaning of the sentence, but yeah, the tone is off because the choice of 壊滅状態 is Erice attempt at being witty about it. Something like "friends from my own age group are a species in risk of extinction" could work.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries

>tfw your master has no friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3