Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: [Tsukihimates] Tsukihime - A Piece of Blue Glass Moon - (Translation Project)

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftovers View Post
    the rooty whirly source and swirly
    The Spin for maximum Jojo references.

JP Friend Code
    nonexistant

I can't trust anything in this translation anymore.
    My disappointment is immeasurable and my day is ruined.
    burn your dread you coward

Is there a reason I can't select the second choice here?

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I find it immensely amusing this is the one thing everyone asks about.

And yes, it's because you haven't finished Arcueid Route.

Lol, I assumed there'd be a reason but wanted to make sure. Thanks.

I'd like to express my heartfelt thanks for this project. I'm a little past Vlov and I've been thoroughly enjoying this, I appreciated things like the partially blurred - and slanted - text message being edited into English as well.

I only played Mirror Moon's translation of the original last year so the structure of the original is still quite fresh. I was a bit unsure as to whether I should let myself play Remake or continue into Kagetsu Tohya/original Melty Blood, but thankfully references to those seem absent so far.

Before reading I was passed complaints that the 'powerscale' was tuned up too much in TsukiRe to 'make it like FGO' and I'm not feeling that. Everything in the Vlov fight felt quite appropriate; Arc and Ciel were always described with a number of superlatives relative to Fate characters and to me this seems like an update for the depiction to match the materials books and the last 20 years of TM. Do I have a minority opinion, or is upset over the scale of battle not much of a thing?

------

As an aside, my friend has had a fixation with a particular turn of phrase since FGO NA released Summer Kiara - "disappear like so much foam" - and I noticed the same used here:

"I picture Akiha's body, sucked of its blood and discarded like so much garbage."

Does anyone have a clue of the root of this phrasing - is it old English from American literature, or is it actually from the British Isles and said friend a twozzle? They presume it's American English and seem a touch bothered by how it sounds. I'd have thought it was brought over by settlers and later fell out of favour over here.
    Last edited by Sath; August 24th, 2022 at 02:44 PM.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Kirishima's Avatar
    I think the major debate about power scale is how strong a DAA is. We haven't actually seen a competent one yet, we only have hints of what they are comparable to, and it causes a lot of discussion.

Do I have a minority opinion, or is upset over the scale of battle not much of a thing?
    Almost everybody who has read the Remake agrees that the fights with Vlov are some of the best parts, so I don't think many people are upset by the scale of the battle.

There are some Tsukihime purists who claim TM is pandering to FGO fans. But I consider myself a Tsukihime purist too and I think this just matches up with general standing of the characters and lore.
    The priest was waiting for the arrival of the princess, who was only an enemy of all of them.
    For the priest, the golden princess was the one and only main heroine.
    Everyone else was unworthy of his respect, no matter how strong they were.

Tsukihime 2 Prelude III

I absolutely cannot wait for this, I hope I am alive by then to read it lmao.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sath View Post
    As an aside, my friend has had a fixation with a particular turn of phrase since FGO NA released Summer Kiara - "disappear like so much foam" - and I noticed the same used here:

"I picture Akiha's body, sucked of its blood and discarded like so much garbage."

Does anyone have a clue of the root of this phrasing - is it old English from American literature, or is it actually from the British Isles and said friend a twozzle? They presume it's American English and seem a touch bothered by how it sounds. I'd have thought it was brought over by settlers and later fell out of favour over here.
    -- 血を吸われ、それこそゴミのようにうち捨てられている秋葉の姿を想像する。
    I would personally translate both instances more like "so much like" rather than "like so much".
    It's emphasizing the similarity of quality. I doubt it is an actual turn of phrase.
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

HSTP 500 Internal S ervant  Error aldeayeah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    uh so it seems i gotta play this

Quote Originally Posted by Dartz View Post
    There are some Tsukihime purists who claim TM is pandering to FGO fans. But I consider myself a Tsukihime purist too and I think this just matches up with general standing of the characters and lore.
    Of course you do and there's no way you have a vested interest in it!

glad to see ya around dartz
    don't quote me on this

Heh, all is right with the world.
    And yeah, nice to be here. Good to see you around as well, enjoy the game.
    The priest was waiting for the arrival of the princess, who was only an enemy of all of them.
    For the priest, the golden princess was the one and only main heroine.
    Everyone else was unworthy of his respect, no matter how strong they were.

Tsukihime 2 Prelude III

About Shiki's "I'll fuck you up" line to Ciel in Arc's route. Was the line itself actually changed from "I'll rape you" from og Tsuki, or is the Remake version just a different translation of the line? I appreciate the change cos I really hated the old line lol, but curious about if it's due to TL differences or the actual VN.
    Last edited by DrasiliskTM; February 23rd, 2023 at 11:18 AM.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Different translation of the same line.

How many other lies have I been told by the council Mirror Moon?

It is different, but only slightly. It has been a while, so if someone wants to correct me, feel free.

I can't be bothered to pull up either script and give you the lines, I don't have them on hand. The verb was changed but the rest of the line is the same. IIRC the verbs are practically identical and can be interpreted ambiguously as both "assault" and "rape", the only difference is that the original verb is "outdated" language now/more crass/less natural. One of the three, I can't remember.

The point is that the mirror-moon translation isn't "wrong". It just picked one meaning over the other. The manga also implies rape, as the visuals show Shiki on top of Ciel while he says it. The remake line (and the surrounding descriptive context of the scene, including Ciel's dialogue thereafter) could also mean both. Making it ambiguous in English as well is pretty easy and the better decision.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Ye olde Tsukihime:
    言うことをきかないなら、ここでメチャクチャに犯してやる

New hotness Tsukihime:
    言うをきかないなら、ここでメチャクチャに暴れてやる

As you can see, there is a difference. Technically two (he changed a hiragana reading into kanji near the start). But the offending verb is different, with the original being far more explicit (it's rape, and it very much was rape in the original, he couldn't have meant much other in the context. That said, 犯す has a tone to it that isn't quite the same as we percieve "rape" in modern times, but I digress). In contrast, the new verb is milder. It's something like "I'll roughen you up" and is much less sexual in nature. That said, sexual idioms can be extracted from just about anything.

Quick answer: Nasu changed the line; you are not seeing a """translator taking liberties""".

I do find it funny this is the line that gets so much attention. Oh, culture wars, never stop being culture wars.

I'm curious about the Ciel lines that happen afterwards, if I recall correctly in the remake she says (or narrates) something like "I wouldn't mind that". IIRC she also says it in the original too. Unless I misread, that could imply that the remake line is also sexual in nature, or at least she interprets it that way (...or Ciel thinks getting roughed up by Shiki would be enjoyable?).