Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fate/stay night - A New Translation - Fate Release

Fate/stay night - A New Translation - Fate Release

Hi all!

As some of you may or may not be aware, I've spent the last two years whittling away at a brand new, from-scratch translation of the original Fate/stay night VN, with the intention of producing something that tonally and stylistically reads at least a little bit closer to how the original VN reads to me in Japanese. With that preamble out of the way, I'm very excited to announce that the first part of this project, comprising a complete translation of both the prologue and the Fate route, is now ready for release!

I should probably put up a disclaimer that the whole project is still very much work in progress, but the text of the route itself is in good shape, and also makes use of a number of additional features provided by the most recent versions of the Ultimate Edition project, including italics, mouseover hint text, and proper implementation of ruby text.

So without further ado, here is a link to the new patch, and I hope that all of you who do choose to read it enjoy the experience!

****************************file/d/1un7...ew?usp=sharing

Ah, one additional note, the patch_lang_english.xp3 contained in this patch only includes the text of the prologue and Fate route, so if you would like to read MM's translations of Unlimited Blade Works and Heaven's Feel after you've finished, it would behoove you to make a back up of your current version of patch_lang_english.xp3.

With all of that out of the way, happy reading!

Edit: I've put up a new version that rolls back the included patch.xp3 to the most recent public version from the Ultimate Edition, which should fix some of the weird text display bugs that people have been having. It also includes some small text fixes, so it is very much recommended.
    Last edited by FBates; December 22nd, 2021 at 10:40 AM.

did you uh, edit it?

US Friend Code
    Finally, a portion of the FBates cut.

A question, can I use it in the regular version, not the ultimate one? Since I'm playing on mobile which has the 3 different folder for each route version I was wondering if I could put the translation patch in the faterealtanua_savedata folder for the fate route and for the the other 2 routes I would replace it with the regular translation patch. Thanks for help and effort

Blog Entries
    "There is an idea of Fbates, Some kind of abstraction but there is no real me; only an entity, something illusory and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable; I simply am not there.."

Quote Originally Posted by Zaid1969 View Post
    A question, can I use it in the regular version, not the ultimate one? Since I'm playing on mobile which has the 3 different folder for each route version I was wondering if I could put the translation patch in the faterealtanua_savedata folder for the fate route and for the the other 2 routes I would replace it with the regular translation patch. Thanks for help and effort
    Look on the AndroidVisualNovels discord for a version of Ultimate Edition that can work on mobile.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Best of luck going forwards!

Blog Entries
    FBates, I remember being shown your translation by a friend and distinctly not liking it compared to mirror moon's. However, I respect the effort of anybody willing to translate the whole of Stay Night on their own. Best of luck.
    Call me 想φαγω.
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooncake View Post
    I get this vague feeling from your posts that you're looking down on people who don't share your view, which is what it is, but at least take a moment to snort some common sense between those hits of pretension.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
    My opinion is better than your opinion, so it isn't up for debate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun
    Telling us that you're rich is not going to make anyone stop laughing at you for believing in self-insert NTR.
    Quote Originally Posted by ResidentSeagull View Post
    You seriously underestimate the human potential for wanting to fuck stuff, my dude.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan
    Welcome to BL, new user. Don't forget to fate/stay mad

Yeah, I think it's inevitable that people will have a preference for one or the other, and it doesn't really bother me either way which one it is. All that I've tried to do is write a translation that, to me, reads more closely to what Nasu originally wrote. That's obviously going to be really subjective, and that's part of the value of having two different translations, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by FBates View Post
    Yeah, I think it's inevitable that people will have a preference for one or the other, and it doesn't really bother me either way which one it is. All that I've tried to do is write a translation that, to me, reads more closely to what Nasu originally wrote. That's obviously going to be really subjective, and that's part of the value of having two different translations, I think.
    Dunno if you'll accept feedback, but I recommend editing the translation so it's not as overly wordy and fixing the tense.
    Last edited by CielWorstGirl; December 23rd, 2021 at 01:26 AM.
    やれやれだぜ。。。 - 空条承太郎

The problem lies with the fact that nasu writing itself is overly wordy.
    But I myself would recommend it. If it can be possible. Mirror moon simplified things which make it somewhat lost in translation.
    I wouldn't recommend you to do it if the prose or writing in itself gets lost. As essence of the writing gets lost.

- - - Updated - - -

Although I would recommend it to recheck with someone with good grammatical knowledge. If you are doing it one man only

US Friend Code
    Based TL

Any chance you'll change "Cripes" to something more appropriate?
    The grail supposedly grants servants the ability to use modern japanese, in this case modern english, therefore Lancer saying "Cripes" strikes me as very odd.

Are the h scenes translated as well?

Not being horny or anything i just want to read the whole thing in all its glory and last thing i want is those scenes suddenly being in raw text lol

屍鬼 Ghoul
    I'm wondering which translation do you recommend the retranslation or the Mirror Moon's version?

US Friend Code
    Not sure if it's my place to share since FBates hasn't posted it here themselves, but I came across their UBW retranslation patch the other day ****************************file/d/1aox...BvlulI3mJ/view

Is this still active? Was it completed? Considering OP hasn't been online for a year or so.

JP Friend Code
    nonexistant
    Probably an ongoing project in the background for FBates.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but iirc it took him 2 years to even get the Fate route done.
    If UBW was finished late 2022, expect HF to be finished late 2023 or some time in 2024 I guess.

Dunno if we'll get an advertisement here tho.
    burn your dread you coward

Since I don't know if FBates will ever post on here again i'll get you guys know that they've uploaded an preview version of the HF tl patch that covers the first 9 days of HF. The link to it is on the vndb page for Fate/stay Night
    Last edited by 9 Unlimited 9 Blades 9 Works; January 1st, 2024 at 11:42 PM.