Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 74

Thread: What Keeps You Coming to Beast's Lair?

  1. #1
    Don't @ me if your fanfic doesn't even have Shirou/Illya shipping k thnx ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    The Night of Wallachia
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    27,483
    JP Friend Code
    083945095
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    42

    What Keeps You Coming to Beast's Lair?

    There's not too it this time when it comes to this topic. What was it/what were the "its" that brought you here, and what about BL nowadays in this sea of alternative and mainer-streamer social media options that also boast TYPE-MOON (mostly Fate/, let's be real V: ) communities and—supposedly—discussion?

    As an oldf- uh, oldhead-turned-moderator, I have a perspective hopefully worth sharing. I don't intend to make this too me!me!me!, but this is meant to be a thread all about me!me!me! (i.e. you!you!you!), I am asking for your stories, so here's enough context-mine to make this topic topic-relevant.

    I originally came to BL—the previous ProBoards version, no less—for fanfics. Fanfics of an assumed higher standard, done up by a more insular and specialized fanbase focused on a particular niche media. Fanfic posting, TBE. This, in turn, introduced me to several cool individuals, many of which I'm still in contact with, some moreso than others. This comradery and associated discourse, combined with the passage of time and us experiencing of T-M's further growth and development, led to a loyalty for and accustomisation to them and this site.

    Dwindling BL fanfic community? It's okay, I'd become a mod long by that point, and by that point I had investment enough in the forum to want to see it done right and thrive in its own niche, even in spite of the larger and more prominent other social media communities that also feature T-M content. Being a BL regular, to me, means you're a "real one," whatever that entails to you. At your core, you're a misfitted specialist-seeker who abhors the impersonal leviathans that the bigger sites like the Bird Feed and the Alien Frontpage are. You want a community that feels more like a community than what they are.

    You want the thing you're personally here for and with a heaping plate of community on the side. Community, even, with a capital C.

    You're a romantic.
    You want something real.
    You're a Beast's Lair Poster, by golly.

    Oh, uh, yeah. I'm also still interested in T-M content and output, as well.


    Anyways, HBU?
    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.
    My Fanfics. Read 'em. Or not.



  2. #2
    Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Wherever there's Wi-Fi
    Age
    25
    Posts
    9,882
    I got here by basically following Draconic here after he linked the Questions megathread to try and resolve an argument we were having on AO3. I lurked for a few months, then joined in July 2018. All of this was months after a friend of mine introduced me to Zero, and I basically jumped down the rabbit hole and found myself here hungering for more accurate information. I've basically stuck around here through thick and thin both for interesting and more in-depth discussion and translation of TM content, and I've grown to like and respect several users, even if I now disagree with the stance the mods take towards certain users and opinions, and no matter how I feel about those users. This is sort of a place I can keep coming back to as my interest in TM wanes and waxes, and thanks to BL, it has remained my longest-term interest after Pokémon.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Not to mention, I do like the JoJo thread and the people who congregate there. Most everyone's cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

  3. #3
    Put your emptiness to melody, your awful heart to song. Prix with a Silent X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    https://prixsilentx.carrd.co/
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,532
    Blog Entries
    11
    To suggest that I've been a regular for the past couple of years would be false. I have really only dropped by in moments of boredom or to update fanfics here and there. Much like IRUN, I came here to post fanfic, though by that time the fanfic community here had slowed down. I'm still primarily here with an interest in transformative work based on type moon, but the fact that I come back and sometimes make inroads to participating more fully has as much to do with the changing landscape of the rest of the internet as with BL itself. Even BL seems to have slowed down in some regard, but it is still an active forum that isn't hampered by an increasingly harsh anti-adult-content mandate that is sweeping across the internet like a plague. While some of what you fellas are into squicks me out and I don't want to touch it with a ten-foot pole, it is equally or more disturbing to me that websites that were originally meant to be 17+ are being strangled to death by various mega-corporation's insistence that everything be family advertiser-friendly while mainstream media can deal in whatever sex and murder it wants.

    These changes to the internet as a whole are making communities ever more insular and it makes it harder to have a "social" experience on any social media website, and even other forum platforms have TOS rules that make it virtually impossible for a community to have sensible rules about the allowance of content specifically pertaining to sexuality. While most of my discussions are PG-13, relationships and character dynamics that may be influenced by sexuality are one of the main things I'm interested in when it comes to fiction, and it's exhausting to try and filter everything in hints and whispers.

    There are few places left on the internet where you can just talk to casual acquaintances about anything without there being a prerequisite that you fit the standards of a particular clique.

    While there have been times in the past that I thought some things about BL were toxic and should be better-moderated, I think the recent increase in having active moderators who actually seem interested in participating in the main topics of discussion or the forum in general is a step in the right direction. I also think banning that one thread at the end of last year has generally improved the air.

    I guess there is also a strange impulse to try to give passive proof that the present Prix is less cringe than Prix of the past was, but anyone whom I'd prove it to at this point probably is either convinced or intractable.

    If you like to read please read my fics???
    Imagine that the world is made out of love. Now imagine that it isn’t.

    Imagine a story where everything goes wrong, where everyone has their back against the wall, where everyone is in pain and acting selfishly because if they don’t, they’ll die.
    Imagine a story, not of good against evil, but of need against need against need, where everyone is at cross-purposes and everyone is to blame.



    Blog of Fiction for You to Consume
    Other Links


    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow View Post
    Let Sakura say fuck and eat junkfood you weirdos.


  4. #4
    Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Wherever there's Wi-Fi
    Age
    25
    Posts
    9,882
    I am very tempted to springboard this into another discussion about moderation here, but even I'm not that much of an ass to detail the thread this early anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

  5. #5
    Put your emptiness to melody, your awful heart to song. Prix with a Silent X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    https://prixsilentx.carrd.co/
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,532
    Blog Entries
    11
    Without derailing I would like to say that my comments were in favor of human moderation rather than blanket bans on [insert thing here].
    Imagine that the world is made out of love. Now imagine that it isn’t.

    Imagine a story where everything goes wrong, where everyone has their back against the wall, where everyone is in pain and acting selfishly because if they don’t, they’ll die.
    Imagine a story, not of good against evil, but of need against need against need, where everyone is at cross-purposes and everyone is to blame.



    Blog of Fiction for You to Consume
    Other Links


    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow View Post
    Let Sakura say fuck and eat junkfood you weirdos.


  6. #6
    Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Wherever there's Wi-Fi
    Age
    25
    Posts
    9,882
    Ok, I see your point, and I don't disagree.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

  7. #7
    “─────ついて来れるか” Namelesss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    TYPE MOON HQ
    Posts
    487
    JP Friend Code
    671903968
    US Friend Code
    696969
    Blog Entries
    1
    Ah shit, back in the old days there was newgrounds, gaia online, and other anime specific forums, but particularly there was one that caught my attention and it was breast lair. I heard about it and then lurked there a few times and that was it but it wasn't until 2018 I heard and saw the name Dullahan. That was the year where I became really interested.


    Beast lair probably has to be one of the coolest forum names ever. I've seen even JP tweets about it and I think even on the TM Japanese wiki actually has a link to beast lair. I'm surprised this site influence reaches other fans who aren't even in the western world.


    In all honestly, I'm really jealous for not knowing about this forum sooner and TM in general. I'm surprised and happy out all the threads that exist on here is that there is a TM MEME thread.


    Til this day, I still don't know how this site works.


    Your not a TYPE MOON fan if you don't even own a TM Merch or haven't fapped to a TM character.

  8. #8
    闇色の六王権 The Dark Six pinetree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    7,578
    US Friend Code
    326,832,196
    Blog Entries
    2
    I enjoy Servant creation and the flow of conversation forums bring and this is the best place for both.
    The community is pretty great too.

    This forum is half the reason I got into Type-Moon again after giving up on FGO earlier this year.

    Frankly, I'm still baffled this place exists. An active forum in 2021? And one entirely dedicated to a single franchise? Crazy.

  9. #9
    Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Wherever there's Wi-Fi
    Age
    25
    Posts
    9,882
    This is a fandom that still relies heavily on specialist fan knowledge, and that plus the community of regulars has kept us afloat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

  10. #10
    改竄者 Falsifier Petrikow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    8,808
    JP Friend Code
    588,925,100
    Blog Entries
    9
    I like forums.

    Ultimately both reddit and discord has mostly usurped their kind, but both of these have features I do not enjoy. The sturdy nature of a forum and its discussion facets makes it better for serious and considered discussion.

    I also like organizing things, but I'm sure most people have noticed that by now.

  11. #11
    Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Where AM I?
    Posts
    12,933
    US Friend Code
    156,137,657
    Blog Entries
    1
    I came for the fanfics originally. I joined to take part in a CYOA (and because the BL 2.0 shift ruined all my previous bookmarks). I stayed because the golden age of Type Moon was happening with a new anime to talk about every year it seemed. Even as Fanfics slowly died and we ran out material to adapt I stayed around for all the other parts of the community. Talking about odd anime, cool videogames, the ludicrous amounts of movies I see. Or current news back in the before times.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask


    FF XIV: Walked to the End


    Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

  12. #12
    U-Olga Marie voter TomPen94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    THE TRUE RUN
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,576
    JP Friend Code
    nonexistant
    I came here cuz I wanted somewhere to talk about TM stuff. Back when I joined I was really into another forum, but it didn't have a section dedicated to TM stuff. I had gotten into it recently and was really eager to talk about it online, and this nrvnqsr website kept popping up on multiple occasions.
    I wouldn't consider myself a true regular of this place, especially in 2016-2020 when I basically ghosted it, but I did always come back here because it just felt like the right place to talk about this stuff. Over the years I did branch out from just the TM threads here, but that's still my main appeal of this site.

    New forms of community based discussion boards like Reddit and Discord are very erratic to me. I think it gets hard to trully connect with the community at large if they get too big. I did get into a TM Discord server recently, but I only participate in a few channels and I feel I can't keep up when a topic of discussion blows up there. It's hard to know someone in there, I feel like that's easier here. Building the image of the person you're talking to and getting a better grasp on them.
    .

  13. #13
    アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ontariariario
    Age
    29
    Posts
    25,277
    Blog Entries
    36
    Do we keep coming back to Beast's Lair, or does Beast's Lair keep coming back to us?

    In any case, I came back to write niche fanfic.
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

    [11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

  14. #14
    'You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory' ResidentSeagull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Location
    A comprehensive guide to living in the Balkans: Step 1) Leave
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    753
    Feel free to disagree but I always found Reddit and Twitter to be breeding grounds for toxicity and bullshit. Partially because of their size, partially because of their mainstream appeal.

    That's why I came here. I heard about Beast's Lair here and there, and the day I checked it out I kept lurking, until I made my account of course. The Nasuverse is probably the only franchise that I am currently actively keeping up with, and this place is small, but I think that fact contributes to its charm. People here know their shit and even when that's not the case its still pretty entertaining.

    Even though I don't actively participate in a lot of discussions here I still find myself coming back because it is legitimately interesting and fun. I was never the type of person to be interested in the "community", but I still recognise the importance of being connected to people with similar interests, taking into account their opinions to challenge my own and keeping up to date on the news. This place is ideal for me in that regard, I suppose.

  15. #15
    Red hair is fine too Nihilm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Estonia
    Age
    30
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    6,669
    Blog Entries
    2
    After I joined I've basically never left even if I almost never look at the forum now.
    Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    dumb people always have shit opinions about eva, its like some kind of more reliable iq test
    [20:47:33] I3uster: in 2015 a crack memer was sent to skype prison by a court of his Peers for a crime he didnt commit. he promptly escaped from his Maximum security Forum into the twitter Underground. Today, still wanted by the skype Group he survives as memer of fortune. If you Need a shitpost, if nobody else can fuck up a thread, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire: June.

    20.06.2014 Never forget

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    In any case, I came back to write niche fanfic.
    Same. I want to write some very specific stuff then go back to sleep.

  17. #17
    🌸~spring song~🌸 Nobody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Georgia
    Age
    27
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    5,570
    I liked the Stay Night VN so much I wanted to nerd out about it with other people. Heard this forum was T H E place for it so I lurked then made an account. Which was a bad idea cause I was fresh out of high school and new to interacting with anime fans. My god.

    I also find forums much more chill and less cringy than reddit and twitter, so unless some really heinous shit happens I don't think I'll ever really have a reason to leave. Yeah current TM doesn't really hold a lot for me and I don't know a lot of the people here, but the cool thing about forums is that I can still manage to talk to some people anyways. The extrovert in me eats that shit up.

  18. #18
    アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ontariariario
    Age
    29
    Posts
    25,277
    Blog Entries
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow View Post
    Same. I want to write some very specific stuff then go back to sleep.
    I told myself the same thing and now I'm a regular poster again, it's a curse.
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

    [11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

  19. #19
    On the Holy Night Reign's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Age
    28
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    10,694
    US Friend Code
    858,943,293
    I like the feel of forums over reddit or discord. Discussions can be more longterm and I think that creates a better sense of community.

  20. #20
    You Are Going to Brazil Wyvern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Brazil
    Age
    27
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    621
    Blog Entries
    3
    Fellowship, mostly.

    I came here because I read a Quest that really spoke to me. It had a genuine feeling that it could have been the real thing, and made me feel like, if I were part of it. Part of this place, maybe I could have learnt to write something like that. I feel... like a sham most of the time? Because I learnt of Type Moon through FGO, which seems to be a big time taboo over here when it comes to new members.

    I wanted to learn more.

    I wanted to experience more of this world that seemed to be so interest and alive and well... mysterious. It was so romantic for an aspiring writer like me, who can only ape others, and badly at that, to create things. And well, its been years, my interest has wax and waned, I've left and come back. But I think that I finally managed to create something here. Something in this wide universe of stories made by fans that I feel others have enjoy and I feel could really belong and stand up in its own feet as an enjoyable read.

    I can't say I'm as good as the one who brought me here.

    In fact, I feel like I barely moved from where I started.

    So I guess that's why I keep coming back. To remind myself that there's still a road ahead. And to see how far I have come each time.

    Sounds kinda silly, no?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •