Page 122 of 124 FirstFirst ... 2272112117120121122123124 LastLast
Results 2,421 to 2,440 of 2463

Thread: The Book Lair - all book talk ITT

マリーの味方
    Finished the first Malazan book. It was good. The POV complaint still was an issue all the way through. I liked most of the characters but man the POV would quite literally switch every other page sometimes.

I've seen some common complaints it's confusing and I get it, terms and people are thrown at you from start to finish with zero intention for you to understand them immediately. But it's really not that bad. Honestly rather than the magic, god, or region gibberish I was more confused when a mysterious character would appear and having to ask myself "am i even supposed to know this person". Especially got weird near the end when all the different characters were running into each other every other paragraph.

I told 'em, I told 'em. Bugrit! eddyak's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    I think it isn't so much the terms constantly being thrown at you, a lot of novels do that.

Found it, here's the thing I wrote about it:

It's not just one thing that makes Malazan difficult to get into. The entire first book (and probably a few after that) seem almost actively designed to repel viewers through most of the means novels use to bring people in.

Most novels give you a point of view character, or three. You're introduced to the world along with the characters, and the world they know, and then explores outward from there.

Malazan doesn't care if you like, empathise with, or understand a character, or their world. You're dropped in alongside someone, or at a scene, and when the scene is done, you're tossed out. Wanna know literally anything other than what the characters were talking about? Too bad, book doesn't care.

Most novels provide some context. The characters namedrop, they hint at things, and if the series is mediocre or bad, they'll actively infodump an "as you know, blah. Therefore, bleh."

Malazan drops you in the middle of an office conversation and doesn't change the conversation so that a beginner can infer things through context, leaving that for several hours down the line (probably). We get "Can you believe what Ted did? What an idiot." instead of "Can you believe Ted just suplexed the CEO? Holy shit, do you think he's gonna be arrested or fired first?"

And so on. Erikson refuses to make the basic concessions most authors will include by default, which seems to have worked out for him, but for 99% of authors this won't work and is a terrible idea in general, unless you've got something really going for you.
    FGO Supports
    NA
    JP

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Hm. On the one hand, I agree with you that including this basic context in some way is a very good thing, but on the other, when talking to someone you presume already knows the story, "Can you believe what Ted did?" seems like a more natural way to open the conversation.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, just to be clear, I haven't read those books.

マリーの味方
    While I see what you mean, I can't really think of any specific examples which annoyed me too much. Everything is explained eventually for the most part, it felt fairly easy to filter information clearly not intended to be understood immediately.

The sheer frequency it occurs is definitely an issue for sure. Honestly, I think the series shares a lot of similarities with mystery novels in structure despite not really being a mystery. The exposition is given in a way where as you're reading you're just constantly adding questions to a massive list about the world/characters, and over time you gradually obtain answers. I feel like the annoyance people have (not necessarily you, based on some reviews I've seen) are people expecting to understand everything that is being said right away because they don't like to be confused. You kinda need to read this expecting to be confused.

Blog Entries
    1: I managed to lock back into this account.

2: I finished The Accursed Kings by Maurice Druon. Not much to say about it other than I really enjoyed the descriptions of Robert of Artois and Mahaut every time they occupied a page. Like two fairytale giants.

One of my favourite novels! Shame it couldn't grab you more.

Blog Entries
    So, I had a novel published a few months ago!

https://www.amazon.com/-/es/Jennifer...language=en_US

It's got vampires and action and the complicated relationships of immortals!

Forest is a vampire who's a bit too good for her own good and doesn't know when to leave things alone. Armed with a ridiculously large hand gun, martial arts skills, a bitching pony car, and a love for pop culture she fights the forces of evil. Urban Fantasy 80's Style.

Quote Originally Posted by ItsaRandomUsername
    Elfgasm: The phenomenon that occurs among the general populace whenever a certain user who has been claimed to wear jackboots and is pointy-eared posts an idea or updates and is met with majority approval to the point of near-zeal as a result of said poster's popularity with the writing crowd.

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    You got published? Good for you Elf!
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Elf View Post

Oh, wow, nice! Congratulations! :-D I'll have to wait until the Kindle version is released on Amazon BR, but it seems interesting!

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Congrats on finally getting your work in print!
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar

Congratulations!
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    ladies, he's single
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.

Blog Entries

Congratulations.
    Call me 想φαγω.
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooncake View Post
    I get this vague feeling from your posts that you're looking down on people who don't share your view, which is what it is, but at least take a moment to snort some common sense between those hits of pretension.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
    My opinion is better than your opinion, so it isn't up for debate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun
    Telling us that you're rich is not going to make anyone stop laughing at you for believing in self-insert NTR.
    Quote Originally Posted by ResidentSeagull View Post
    You seriously underestimate the human potential for wanting to fuck stuff, my dude.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan
    Welcome to BL, new user. Don't forget to fate/stay mad

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
    You got published? Good for you Elf!
    That's honestly where I've been for years, trying to get this thing published.

Forest is a vampire who's a bit too good for her own good and doesn't know when to leave things alone. Armed with a ridiculously large hand gun, martial arts skills, a bitching pony car, and a love for pop culture she fights the forces of evil. Urban Fantasy 80's Style.

Quote Originally Posted by ItsaRandomUsername
    Elfgasm: The phenomenon that occurs among the general populace whenever a certain user who has been claimed to wear jackboots and is pointy-eared posts an idea or updates and is met with majority approval to the point of near-zeal as a result of said poster's popularity with the writing crowd.

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Urban Fanatsy's a tough game, I've heard.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar

Congrats, and nice to meet you, Elf.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

Blog Entries
    Got a copy of the Ramayana and Mahabharata for xmas. Been distracted with other stuff so haven't done a deep dive on reading them just yet.

And oh dang, congrats, Elf!
    Last edited by Lycodrake; February 6th, 2022 at 12:11 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    Yes, excellent. Go, Lyco, my proxy.
    F/GO SUPPORT

マリーの味方
    I really like Yukio Mishima's style. It doesn't really matter who is translating his work, his descriptions are so damn good. Oftentimes I just like to sit back and appreciate specific passages because they are put together so well and undeniably beautiful.

however other times i just go why. I mean, I understand, but why man

It happened sometimes while I slept that I had a pollution.
    This did not involve any concrete sexual image. For example, a black dog would be running down a dark street: I could see its panting breath escaping like flames from its mouth, and my excitement grew with the ringing of the bell that hung from its neck; then, as the bell reached its loudest pitch, I would have an ejaculation.

Damn Furries

マリーの味方
    would like to clarify it's more so how the pov views his urges as disgusting and not appropriate for who he is, i think

This is another good one from what I read earlier:
    Koji thought about the sunlight that shone brightly into the connecting corridor that led to the bathhouse, cascading over the windowsill, spreading out like a sheet of white glossy paper. He didn't know why, but he had humbly, passionately loved the light streaming down through that window. It was a divine favor, truly pure--dismembered, like the white body of a slain infant.
    but yeah, these are more specific passages that kinda seem edgy out of context. still, good writer

マリーの味方
    Started reading Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea recently. might build a submarine and escape from society like captain nemo he's pretty based