Page 121 of 124 FirstFirst ... 2171111116119120121122123 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,420 of 2463

Thread: The Book Lair - all book talk ITT

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    How do you book-reading folks manage to keep up reading something that's 300+ pages, let alone a series? Something that's shorter I can do in an afternoon or two, but my brain tapers off eventually when I try something longer these days.
    I tend to marathon stuff like that too or I forget where I was/lose interest. The curse of the 21st century and its constant bombardment of novelty on our attention span.

I find stopping at a cliffhanger helps.
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    ladies, he's single
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I normally set aside an afternoon to read whatever, and go until I finish. Which if it's a big one has ended up around 1am on occasion.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

Of course, it heavily depends on what you're actually reading. 300 pages of a typical soft sci-fi/fantasy or other page turner I can knock through in a few hours. 300 pages of Hemingway is a deal harder to digest.

dammnitMattmymeeeerge
    shit BL says

It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    ladies, he's single

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    That's why you always edit your last post.

Also to clean up drunken typos in anime rants.

Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl, þonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Re-read "The Hound of the Baskervilles" (1902) by Arthur Conan Doyle, watched the 1939 film with Basil Rathbone as well as the 1988 TV version with Jeremy Brett, plus I listened to the BBC Audio Drama from 2011 with Nicolas Brigg - all in a single day.

Why you ask? All for the purpose of seeing how various adaptations handle the story. Which scenes they keep and which they leave out, how dialogue is tweaked to be understandable to the "modern" audience of the day and how directors can't resist adding in extra stuff to spice up the story and make it their own.

T'was an interesting experiment and not at all because I was bored and stuck at home...that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
    "Here's a bangin lil' tune about takin' on The Man!"

(Check out my Super Special Awesome Servant Compendium here)

'You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory' ResidentSeagull's Avatar
    A comprehensive guide to living in the Balkans: Step 1) Leave
    So what is your conclusion about the various adaptations of the tale?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ResidentSeagull View Post
    So what is your conclusion about the various adaptations of the tale?
    It's a surreal experience, experiencing roughly the same story four times in a row and now the details are all blurring together in my mind.

They are all decent to good adaptations. The audio drama is practically a word for word adaptation acted out minus all the "he said, she said" and is definitely recommended for purists.

Of them I'd say the Rathbone movie from the '30s is the weakest due to not only having some minor plotholes due to cutting scenes but also adds unnecessary stuff like a séance scene by a purported psychic that leads absolutely nowhere.

Having only read the book... I guess I'll stick to it, then.
    shit BL says

ladies, he's single

Blog Entries
    Speaking of the book, I can definitely see why it has stood the test of time and even those only familiar with the Holmes canon tend to know about the Hound. The fact that it's one of the only full length novels lets ACD pour all of his strengths into it (whereas the opposite kinda happened with the Valley of Fear), the unique presence of a supposed supernatural element makes it stand out in comparison to the other stories and Holmes' absence allowing Watson to take centre stage for a while.

No wonder it has been adapted so many times, including in Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    In another attempt to get back into reading, I've picked up Leviathan Wakes and The Black Prism.

Leviathan Wakes:
    I haven't managed to get into a book for almost 2 years now but I was so hooked I devoured the thing in 2 days.
    Amazing universe and characters. Great mystery. If I didn't know this was part of a series I would be totally satisfied with this. Kinda makes me scared about The Expanse lasting NINE books though.
    Spoiler thoughts
    I was so hooked after Holden accused Mars pubicly that I just couldn't stop reading.
    The universe is great and I love how we're living in this super sci-fi world yet are still stuck to our system. I love how mysterious and minor the alien presence is. I was a bit put-off by the sudden presence of zombies in space but as the idea was developed and it turned out to be some super-advanced biothec instead I grew to like it much more.

The characters were great too. Miller was absolutely wonderful to follow. His journey throughout the story was compelling in so many different ways. I really liked how the narrative discards the tropes he obviously fits in by shoving the reality that he's a shitty cop everyone hates on his face, only to then have us follow him living up to his supposed abilities and becoming a hero. The fact tha this all happens while he's haunted by his own obession and dellusion was amazing. Every time he talked or interacted with the imaginary Julie, my heart tightened. I really didn't expect him to to achieve any kind of happiness or success in the end.

The Rocinante crew was great too, but I'm not in love with Holden. I do like his character, but I do hope he actually suffers consequences for his actions as the series goes along. Miller warning him about how irresponsible he was is not enough. This man has caused the deaths of millions and shouldn't have leave the story with such a clear conscience.

The Black Prism:
    The start of the lightbringer series. I decide to go with this one instead of continuing The Expanse so I could alternate with a fantasy series but it was a terrible decision.
    To be fair, I've barely started the book, so these are super early impressions, but I already hate it enough that I don't want to continue.

I can handle sudden terminology and poorly explained magic systems, the problem really is the prose. I've seen a lot of praise for this series and I can only imagine he gets drastically better because at this point his writing is... flavorless, stunted, obtuse and repetitive. I don't think I've had such a kneejerk reaction to someone's writing... ever. It's just so bad.
    The conversation between Kip and Gaspar was dreadful and Gavin's introductory scene is worse.

The way Gaspar goes from pleading for help to mocking Kip for his supposedly importance is so bizarre. There's not a single phrase describing his change of demeanor. The man just continues talking and the reader is left weirded out about how his personality completely switched from one word to the next. It's only after a few more paragraphs that you understand that he actually recognizes the kid's name and that's what triggered his change.

I doubt I'll continue this much longer. I'll probably move on to a different fantasy book or just start the next Expanse book.

I told 'em, I told 'em. Bugrit! eddyak's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Lightbringer doesn't end well, according to most of the people I've heard criticise it. Literal jesus in a trenchcoat shows up to literally deus ex the story to its conclusion.
    FGO Supports
    NA
    JP

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, I researched the rest of the series to decided if I wanted to force myself to continue gave up on it.
    Already moved on to Joe Abercrombie's The Blade Itself. Much better prose and really interesting from the start.

マリーの味方
    Read a bunch of stuff recently. Some Japanese classics, No Longer Human and Kokoro were my favourite. I was a bit iffy on Kokoro at first but once it reached the final third I just finished it in one sitting. I think how we never see the narrator's reaction to Sensei's letter is brilliant.

Also read the Dying Earth series. It was sometimes hard to get through but overall pretty great. I've always been a fan of "dying earth" settings. Cugel was an fun character - an absolutely unlikeable cunt you can't help but cheer for (sometimes). I really liked the whole fantasy travel vibe, just going from place to place and seeing the interesting creatures and cultures along the way. The Rhialto stories were also decent, the magician banter was fun even though I only really enjoyed the second of the stories. I could've read a whole novel about Rhialto and the familiar-esque creature just traveling and throwing insults at each other.

After the Dying Earth I wanted more fantasy so starting the Witcher books now. It's alright so far.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I thought the Witcher books were all stuck in Polish with no one actually caring/the author being too stubborn to translate them?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
    I thought the Witcher books were all stuck in Polish with no one actually caring/the author being too stubborn to translate them?
    If I'm not mistaken, all the core Witcher books have been made available in English by now.

I definitely own the first couple.

マリーの味方
    I'm fluent in Polish, clearly.

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    They are so popular in the fellow Slavic country of Russia that in a bookstore I went to there (in 2019, before the show aired) there was a whole section dedicated to Sapkowski's works. I think just the popular reception of his books in English was lagging until recently.
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    The series was being released here even before the games got here.

I read them in English (and they were even available in Greek!) years ago now.
    shit BL says

ladies, he's single

マリーの味方
    Last Wish was decent, although not enough to get me to immediately read the other Witcher books.

Ended up starting the Malazan series. I have to say, having this many point of view characters with such sudden shifts in perspective (literally happening multiple times per chapter) is actually annoying. Just as I'm getting interested in one character it switches over to a bunch of new characters I don't give a fuck about. Then as soon as I'm starting to actually enjoy these new characters it switches again. Still, it's good so far. I feel like I'm going to regret starting such a long series though.