Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 367891013 ... LastLast

Thread: Titanomachy Rebirth (IC)

アカシャの蛇 The Serpent of Akasha RacingeR's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Aster Hunter & Rika Griffin
    Time: Noon

“Oh, fuck off, Griffith.” Cecily answered the implied threat with another raised middle-finger. She very evidently didn’t care about it and was going to go right on being herself, but she didn’t move to attack either.

“Griffin!” Elora corrected, irritated. The blonde rubbed her forehead, then sighed and nodded at Rika. “You’re right. Let’s get going.” She said while taking hold of one of Jane’s arms and putting the frailer girl behind her and Rika. The ‘before they pull us into the mess’ part went unspoken, but was rather clear.

However, before they could pull out… Aster issued both his makeshift projectile and his challenge.

Jane froze up the moment she saw she was targeted, caught completely by surprise. She had the agility and flexibility to dodge the attack with ease, but she just couldn’t act. So far, she’d never been targeted directly in these sorts of scuffles. Usually, being the wallflower despite being the cause seemed to work, and the cowardly girl had no taste for violence nor real experience with it other than being the one-sided victim.

It was impossible for the thrown boy to reach Jane, however, protected as she was by both Elora and Rika. But the projectile was headed towards Elora, and the knight-like girl hesitated for a moment on what to do, for merely smacking down the boy would imply hurting him. And despite the less than pure intentions that had led the victim to this place, she didn’t really want to hurt him more than he already was…

Kazimierz solved the issue for her. Apparently predicting what Aster was going to do the moment he took hold of the boy, he had stridden forward and then caught the young man before impact.

He deposited him on the ground, and turned towards Aster, his light grin now looking a bit too strained now, perhaps due to the continued defiance the gangster kept showing him. But he merely stood there and put his hands on his pockets, and waited for the chaos to ensue.

Elora’s gaze sharpened, and her body tensed at Rika’s side, automatically falling into a trained stance as she readied herself for a fight she now knew would be inevitable. No, in the first place, her sense of justice couldn’t accept what was happening here, but more importantly, she knew who Aster’s real target was, and that was her own personal line in the sand.

“Guess you won’t understand until we beat it into you, asshole.” Lara cursed, furious, as she too approached to enter the oncoming fight.

Cecily also tensed, but it was impossible to tell what she would do.

Bryanna immediately grabbed Marie’s arm and hauled her back, dragging her to safety first before thinking of what she could do to stop this from getting out of hand. Thankfully, the location was relatively isolated so there were little chances of more of Zhong’s goons just wandering into this.

And as everyone prepared for a fight…

The second quake hit like a sudden tidal wave, breaking the action up before it could begin. First the ground shook like mad, catching you all by surprise, and then you all winced when the air too started to tremble around you, before you noticed you couldn’t move at all, as the pressure coming from all directions crushed you into immobility.

The sudden phenomenon plucked leaves out of the trees, and a greenish curtain rampaged around you, obscuring your sight entirely, leaving you isolated from the others.

Not that it was needed. As the ground, the air, the trees, the world itself screamed the utter wrongness of the situation, a hole was sundered from reality. You couldn’t see the dome of the sky crack apart, and that was just as well, because seeing beyond the cracks would have shattered your brains with absolute certainty. But you felt and saw the skies darken, before everything became pitch black.

A roar of teal.

And then, dreamless sleep.

Olivia Reeds

“Huh? L-lovebirds? What, what do you mean?!” Krystine became suddenly flustered, something rare in her. She hadn’t quite expected you to bring it into the open, and for a moment she didn’t seem to know how to react. Well, Ida merely nodded at you, so she didn’t seem to particularly care about hiding the relationship.

Nonetheless, you took advantage of that confusion to grab Krystine’s hand and scribble your contact information there. Then you made your own dramatic exit.

“Hey, wait a minute-!” She called behind you, but you ignored her, and she was interrupted by the diss track that ran through the speakers at that precise moment.

You were still busy reacting to that when the second quake came and took you like a wave.

What happened could be summarized such (because there were only so many ways it could be described): the ground shook, then the air shook and paralyzed you. The world howled in agony. The skies darkened. Your vision went black, and there was a flash of teal.

Then you fell unconscious.

Eleanor Lansing

“Yeah, you’re really nobody to judge, Ms. Lansing.” Chamellia nodded her agreement, knowing your methods rather well. “And in any case, what I do to unveil what I want to unveil is my business.” She smiled at you almost beatifically, but didn’t back down either.

However, your questions caused her smile to turn wry, and she shrugged. “What can I say? Zhong still wants my head over the Hitachi thing. Who’d think our Miss ‘look at me, I am so scary and dangerous’ would be so attached?” She replied.

“Hogwash.” Kaitlin frowned. “She wouldn’t organize a gang-wide manhunt out of nowhere, if she wasn’t able to get you all this time.”

“My, my, aren’t we paranoid? Well, all I can say is, wait patiently and keep an eye on the school’s social media.” Chamellia grinned, and there was a certain wickedness to it now. But the fact that she hadn’t straight up told you meant that she was, probably, still in the process of compilating or validating her facts.

“Whatever. I don’t particularly care and honestly, I don’t want to know.” Kaitlin said impatiently. “That distraction will keep them busy for a moment, but those two probably are going to run for it. We need to get you out of the way for the rest of the day.”

“Sure, sure. That’s why I decided to approach you two knights of justice~?” It was fairly amazing how Chamellia managed to keep the traces of irony out of her voice, but you didn’t think the comment had amused your companion much.

But that was the moment the second quake chose to make act of presence.

What happened could be summarized such (because there were only so many ways it could be described): the ground shook, then the air shook and paralyzed you. The world howled in agony. The skies darkened. Your vision went black, and there was a flash of teal.

Then you fell unconscious.

quotes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1984 View Post
    Besides, I don't see what's so terrible about looting anyway. It's only property, they're not actually harming anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by lantzblades View Post
    when I say hero I don't mean hero in the spirit sense. I mean a morally grounded, good natured person who doesn't slaughter innocent people. No such person exists in the Nasuverse.
    [00:12] <~Katie> i can't defy my origin
    [00:12] <~Katie> of gay memes

[16:15] <~Katie> lesbians has always been my gimmick and i will exploit it to the fullest

[22:56] <@Sei> airen is pegging hero this time
    [22:56] <@Sei> for once airen isn't the uke
    [22:56] <@Kuroyuki> I thought Air was the Woman in the Relationship?
    [22:56] <@Airen> Yeah I kinda thought I was the girl too!

Myo

Turn 2

The Second Warning

“It may not be as flashy as Myo’s… But my nickname of ‘Avidya’ has been dearly won.”
    Shirai grinned as she scored a hit on the guard. It seems the first clash was completed. Calmly observing the actions of each combatant in the midst of the blows, Myo reviewed the conditions of the battle and analyzed the situation, and instantly reach a conclusion.

The outlook was not good.

Not because of her enemies. Myo had absolute faith that eventually, they would prevail and cut both of these obstacles down. However, there in lies the problem.

"Eventually."

Her instincts that her carried her past numerous missions before today told her that they did not have the luxury of time. It is in fact why they were forced to engage on this haphazard rushed assault. What good would it do if they killed all the guards, everyone in the building, in the school, if the target escaped? She should not lose sight of her objective. Everything else was secondary to assassinating the principal.

They could not afford to get stalled here. A change of tactics is needed.

If they can't afford to waste any more time fighting these guards, then they shouldn't spend any more time fighting these guards. Fortunately there were two of them here.

In other words, they only needed one of them to stay, and the other one could go ahead. But which of the two are more suited for each role?

That was easy enough to figure out.

All these thoughts happened in a single heartbeat. The next moment, as Myo continued to exchange blows, she naturally made sure that she moved to the position adjacent to Shirai. Whispering so that only she would be able to hear, Myo hissed out instructions.

"Fall back. Find a way to sink back into the shadows again and sneak past these two, make the way to the target, and end his life. I'll keep them occupied and hold them off here, now go."

The next instant, Myo roughly shoved Shirai behind her, making sure to build distance between her and the two guards. Myo knew that the moment Shirai managed to hide inside the shadows again, not even Myo would be able to find her, let alone these two overly clunky guards who have already had their fill of Shirai's poison.

Now the situations were reversed. All Myo had to do was hold these two off, and it would be their victory. Despite their history, or perhaps because of their history, Myo had complete faith in Shirai's ability to accomplish the task given to her.

*Shnng!* *Szzzt!*

With two swings of her blades, Myo made deep cuts on the ground between her and the two guards. The gashes in the floor created a line separating the two factions.

Focusing her inner ardor, Myo flashed them a grin devoid of warmth. She would become an iron wall, focusing everything on creating a sturdy defense in order to allow them to come out victorious in this all-out war.

"Sorry, but it looks like you've reached a dead end."

*Prepared Evasion Readied*

wiseup
    HP: 50-9=41

Str: 15 + 3 (IW)+2(???) +4 (Crimson Scar & Cobalt Scar)= 24

Def: 5 + 2(???) + 4 (Orochi Uniform)=11

Agi: 20 + 1 (Godspeed) + 2 (???) = 23

Eva: 15 + 5 (Godspeed) + 2 (???)= 22
    <Satehi> I, satehi, thought of tentacles first for entirely inappropriate, disgusting, lewd and perverted reasons

Honk

Blog Entries
    Cyrus Ferdinand

Static in the mind’s eye blurred out and overwrote the rest of the table surrounding the silver lighter. It was an invitation and a request from the old man to play a dirty game with him.

“A lighter? Trying to use us to give up on smoking, Teach?”

Zeus had an upstanding public image. It was a school for the elite, by the elite. A beacon of excellence, staffed by the most excellent. The average teacher at Zeus was anything but average, but as storied and respectable as they were, there was nothing to them Cyrus had respect for. They were clean, proud, and above the mess below.

All but this one.

Cyrus liked him, honestly. Even if he was patronizing and his intrusions were never wanted, Chester’s willingness to drop down into the mud and play the cheap, messy games that the boys lived by was something he could never have disdain for. The old teacher wasn’t even doing it to “teach them a lesson,” or to “set them straight.” He had no intention of putting a stop to their shady dealings and gaming.

He was just another player in the game.

The teacher reminded Cyrus of that smokey mobster back home, an intruder always at the center of the spider’s web, pulling at the strings and playing a game with every living thing caught in the web, including its eight-legged master.

“Sure, I’ll deal. Ain’t playin’, though.”

Cyrus reached out and grabbed his wallet and keys from the center of the table.

There was someone else Cyrus liked at Zeus. Another troublemaker down to the core, addicted to the taste of adrenaline. Making a mess and getting caught was in his nature, just as it was in the boys from Brooklyn.

So he tossed the leather bifold across the table, to Joaquin.

“That’ll help you stay in the game after getting cleaned out so many times today, Aguila.” The wallet was fat enough, holding more than just today’s winnings. A sufficient war-fund for a tussle in the mud. “All you.”

Glorious Grammar Master Race Frantic Author's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Johnny Justice

Johnny smiled like the devil.

"Information network? That old man didn't lie, did he! Really is an interesting sort of place he's invited us to!" Johnny barked out a laugh, leaning his hand against his chin as he tapped his fingers against the table, eyes flicking over to the two girls in Zhong's gang. "You wanted to know about us, all you had to do is ask! What are you looking for, exactly? How we got here? Why we're here?"

A girl in a red dress, smiling brightly as she walked out the door. A boy in an orange jacket, staring with devastated eyes at an empty building. And the suits. Always with the fucking suits.

"Or was it somethin' deeper? Not looking to jump ship, but interested in seeing what other boats look like after they're shipwrecked? Ahhhh, someone's got plans doesn't she? Thinks she's moving up in the world, or that the world's moving up past her. I've been swimming with sharks bigger then your lovely redheaded boss since I was ten, you know?"

He sighed, dramatically, before turning to his teacher.

"True Teach, very true! And from what you see, you might not be expecting much, really. Looking around, we look like a couple'a troublemakers from a hood that's too far from here for it to really be takin' seriously, yeah? More of a survival gambit then a serious play. But as a man with faith, I'm sure you can understand the idea."

Johnny winked, kicking back his chair and placing his feet back on the table as he crossed his arms behind his head.

"In the end, it's all in the eye of the beholder how much a favor might be worth. But I'll tell you this - even today, even without any of the money, or the men, or the weapons - I'm still the king. Losing? What loss? Never lost anything but what I chose to lose. Whichever broker is sellin' such shit intel on me oughta be ashamed, mine'd have taken it out of her hide."

Cyrus threw a wallet to Joaquin, and Johnny grinned bright and wide.

"You're right, Teach. Games like these? They're fun to play, but not when half the table doesn't know all the rules. So let's mix things up a bit!"

He pulled a coin out of his pocket, flicking it in the air and catching it.

"We called it Blackcoin. Coin goes high, call heads or tails. If you're wrong, dealer throws you a card. Over 21 is bust, House stays at 18. Well?" He grinned at the table, looking exactly like the sort of street rat who would run such an incredibly shady game. "You in or you out?"
    Last edited by Frantic Author; May 12th, 2022 at 07:33 PM.
    in the end we will make thoughtcrime impossible, for there shall be no words to express it

#THELEGENDNEVERDIES

[01:05.15] <@Spinach> I can flash gang signs faster than Sasuke can perform ninjutsu and I rap like Medea's High Speed Divine Words.

Blog Entries
    Myo

Orochi vs Eden
    Turn 2

“Shit.” Shirai cursed softly as she heard your orders and grimaced. But she didn’t object. “Be careful.”

She roughly shoved something into one of your pockets, unseen by the guards, the moment she was pushed away from you.

“Fuck! One of the brats is escaping!” One of the guards, the poisoned one, yelled as Shirai was sent hurtling through the hallway. Both of them moved to pursue but…

She was faster, and she was way sneakier. The moment she disappeared from their sight, she was entirely gone from their perception. Their startled run stopped as they realized that catching up with her was impossible, and that they had one hell of an obstacle in their way: you.

“… Damn. No way we can catch up with her without squashing this one first.” The one who had exchanged blows with you said.

“It doesn’t matter. Boss can deal with her. Even if he isn’t around…” His partner shook his head, but didn’t complete his phrase.

You felt their eyes on you. You had their undivided attention now. You had to fight and delay two shock troops equipped for direct combat by yourself. The disadvantage was clear… but you had your vaunted speed on your side.

All you could do was hope that Shirai could take out the target on time. It was a long shot, but it was the only one you had.

There was no exchange of words. Violence paused for a moment, then resumed all of a sudden. The poisoned man stayed behind, while the other one, blood still seeping from the slash on his side, lunged at you again.

Battle calculation

ESG A’s Speed
    -20 (ESG A’s total AGI) < 22 (Myo’s total EVA)
    Prepared Evasion successful.

The man reached towards you in a charge, swinging the baton straight at your head, but you were ready this time. You gave up seeking an opening to counterattack, instead tracking the arc of his attack with an expert’s eye.

It was skillful. It was undoubtedly the attack of a true soldier. But you turned your body gracefully, dodging the swing using the most efficient and least wasteful movements, letting the guard pass by you, carried by the momentum of his charge.

“So fucking slippery. We’re gonna be at this way too long.” He complained, coming to a stop and turning towards you. “I want this done before the ritual’s through. Fred, coordinate with me.”

“Got it.” His partner coughed from your other side, and advanced towards you.

Now you knew why he hadn’t attacked you. You were in a hallway, and now you had one guard at each side. It wasn’t exactly a narrow hallway, it had enough width for you to fight comfortably inside it, after all, but these guys were bulky with all the hardware they were carrying, and those shields of theirs.

Their plan was simple but effective: they were going to come at you at the same time, and they weren’t going to give you enough space to dodge. They were going to use their bulk to kill your speed and pin you down.

And they weren’t flagging. The gas should be exhausting them by now, at the very least, but although they were affected by it, they didn’t feel sleepy either. Those helmets of theirs were doing their job, after all. At least the one who Shirai had stabbed looked sluggish, but you needed to do something about all the advantages their preparation had brought, pronto.

Eden Security Guard A has lost 3 HP

Turn 3

Johnny Justice & Cyrus Ferdinand

“Oh, shut up.” Camila grumbled. “I ain’t the one spying on you, Stacy’s the one that dug up your past. I’m only here to play.” She narrowed her eyes, but her glare and enmity seemed directed at the old man, who looked very amused by both your reactions and hers.

It wasn’t hard for Cyrus to notice that it was a half-truth. There’d always been an underlying curiosity in both girls’ interaction with the crooks from Brooklyn. What exactly that meant was beyond him, he wasn’t a mind reader, after all.

But neither Ashley nor her were exactly all that loyal to Zhong either. They had a certain kinship with their boss, definitely something else in common, aside from the general thirst of violence that characterized anyone in the gang worth remembering, but not all that much else. It was an interesting detail, but just that: a detail.

Joaquin caught the thrown wallet, but said nothing while Johnny outlined the rules of the game. However, he grinned provocatively at the teacher, silently issuing his own challenge.

Chester laughed. It was a soft, mischievous sound, and he truly looked like the old fox he was when he glanced at Johnny. “I’m in, Mr. Justice. I trust nobody else’s backing down?” It was his turn to smile provocatively.

Ashley sighed while Camila bristled, and while June looked like she wanted to be gone from the room, she took one look at Cyrus, and shrugged, remaining in place with a tired sigh.

And so started a six-sided game straight out of the sandpit of hell.

Without a doubt, it was a shady game. One that gave the House all of the advantages in comparison. But the game moved with surprising quickness once it got started.

Chester was good. Cyrus understood that immediately. He couldn’t quite figure out just how good the teacher was. He was a tricky one to read, simply because one could never be quite sure if one was seeing the truth, or only seeing what the old imp wanted one to see.

But there was something else going on with him, and both of the Brooklyn boys could feel it. It was the ‘flow’ after all. The sense that this man had everything under his control even as he was seated there, harmlessly, not doing anything in particular. This was a man who had seen the dirt and grime, and emerged from it… perhaps. There was a certain power in that.

Ashley and Camila went bust rather early on, and then there were four. June was the first one that stepped past Johnny without going too far, landing on a 19, and then not budging anymore. The redhead seemed to be able to call the coin toss with uncanny precision.

But the true fight became a face-off between Chester and Joaquin. Both were even with a 17, and the attention of the gamblers centered on them. Would they go over and bust? Would one of them win, or would June’s gamble of staying just above Johnny pay off?

Chester called the toss wrong, and Johnny dealt him his card. The 3 put him at 20, the winning position. The teacher leaned back, and his eyes scrutinized Joaquin.

The boy didn’t look bothered by his stare. Aguila had always been an intuitive gambler. He trusted his instinct and his hunches, rather than trying to reason or strategize through it. Right now he looked relaxed, even though he needed either a 3 to tie, or a 4 to win.

He smiled at Chester again, and there was confidence to the boy’s gesture, even with his back against the wall.

Then Johnny dealt… and the second quake hit.

You remained there, immobile, paralyzed by the pressure that crushed you against yourself. Nobody could move. Nobody could talk. You were absolutely helpless as the world was ripped asunder around you.

No. Someone could move and talk.

“My, my, my.” Chester spoke, and there was a creeping edge of true amusement, genuine interest in his voice as he looked at the table, and at the four of spades that had been dealt at the very end. “Who would’ve thought? That a respectable, decent, hard-working adult like yours truly would end up being in debt to a youth gang? My, what’s the world coming to?”

He shook his head, bemused, and stood up.

And the Cheshire Cat grin that almost split his face would’ve chilled less hardier souls to the bone. There was nothing respectable in those bared teeth. Nothing decent. Just pure happiness at finally, once again, sitting on the table to play the one game that truly mattered at the end.

“It does seem like you did manage to find some truly interesting ones at the end, didn’t you, Darion? Ah, I’m glad. I’m truly glad. Seems like this experiment is going to be a lot more entertaining than any of us expected.” He bent over towards the table, grabbed his silver lighter, and walked up to Cyrus, stuffing the item in his pocket.

He then turned around, and walked towards the entrance. “I do truly owe you one. I wonder, will you live long enough to cash in the chips? Either way, our time here has come to an end, I’m afraid.”

He opened the door, put a foot outside, and then turned his head around to glance at Johnny. “You’re going to a place where you’re no King, Mr. Justice. Perhaps you won’t ever get the chance to be more than a dirty peasant striving only to survive. Or perhaps, my hopes will be fulfilled. Go. Create even greater chaos. Just be yourself over there, and I’ll be glad. And… if what you desire is Kingship, then come. Take it. Crowns are plundered, not forged.”

With these words, he stepped through the door’s boundary.

And then came the darkness and the teal light.

And then, unconsciousness.

quotes
    Besides, I don't see what's so terrible about looting anyway. It's only property, they're not actually harming anyone.
    when I say hero I don't mean hero in the spirit sense. I mean a morally grounded, good natured person who doesn't slaughter innocent people. No such person exists in the Nasuverse.

[16:15] <~Katie> lesbians has always been my gimmick and i will exploit it to the fullest

Myo

Orochi vs Eden
    Turn 3

The Second Warning

Even without checking, Myo could tell what the object Shirai slipped into her pocket was. How generous of her. She really must be worried. Something to completely turn the tables and cripple these two guards.

But it was unneeded.

Myo watched as the two guards slowly moved themselves into positions, their intentions obvious. So obvious that Myo didn't even bother taking any actions to counter it.

After all, there's no need to do anything when the enemy is making a mistake.

These two guards fundamentally misunderstood their advantages and disadvantages.

Their armor and equipment were formidable, but the downside was the bulk; it would not be easy to make the quick maneuvers necessary. Furthermore, it's fundamentally designed to defend, to protect. Probably further customized against the firepower that Myo's assassin organization can bring. But now they're instead going on the offensive, something that equipment of theirs was not meant to do. Their helmets, while protecting their lungs, restrict their vision.

Myo thought back to a statement one of them said at the very beginning of the battle.

“I was always curious, you know? Which of our branches is stronger? You Orochi assassins, or us Susano’o warriors? Let’s see if you guys are as impressive as your record, shall we?”
    How foolish. A single sentence revealed their inexperience for all the world to see.

Even with the cutting edge of technology, even with the best training that money can provide, it all falls short to the raw experience built through endless battles and desperate struggles.

The two of them positioned them to either side of Myo, but she could tell. Even though their helmets reduced the worst of the effects, they were really still feeling it. Furthermore, the one that Shirai had stabbed looked even more sluggish than the other one.

Myo calmly waited as they cautiously advanced towards her. They simply didn't know. They never learned that sometimes more numbers subtracted from the overall combat strength. They'll get in each other's way. Their strength turned against itself.

Especially if there's a weak link to take advantage of.

Step. Step. Step.

The instant they entered her range...

"You lack discipline."

Before those words had even reached their ears, Myo had already moved. She dashed towards the poisoned guard with her supreme speed. With the poison slowing his movements and reactions, he stood no chance of preventing what was coming next.

No, she dashed past the guard, across the side of him holding the shield just in case to prevent any possible chance of him making a lucky glance with his baton. That bulkiness of their armor was now in Myo's favor; there was no way he would be able to turn around in time. With his back open for a small precious window, Myo spun on her leg, utilizing her superhuman speed and strength, delivering a gale kick, lifting him into the air and knocking him into his partner.

wiseup
    HP: 41

<Satehi> I, satehi, thought of tentacles first for entirely inappropriate, disgusting, lewd and perverted reasons

Honk

Blog Entries
    Myo

Orochi vs Eden
    Turn 3

Perhaps the greatest difference was that you were an ‘elite’ of your organization, while they were mere foot soldiers. Well equipped foot soldiers that you’d have a hard time defeating by sheer compatibility, but you didn’t need to defeat them, as you had amply demonstrated.

The moment they approached, you disappeared from their sight for a brief moment. The clear approach available to you was to attack one of them before they could corner you, and they’d been ready for that. You noticed how they had tightened the muscles of their bodies to better receive the blow.

It didn’t matter. The straightforward attack they expected didn’t come. Your agility gave you too much of an advantage, and the enemy you charged at simply couldn’t move in time to cut off your route as you went around him, moving by his shield arm rather than risking being hit by his baton.

So the man bashed his shield against you.

Battle calculation

ESG B’s Speed
    -19 (ESG B’s total AGI – Surprise) < 22 (Myo’s total EVA)
    ESG B’s Attack
    -26 (ESG B ‘s total STR) – 11 (Myo’s total DEF) = 15 damage.
    15 – 75% = 5 damage.
    Myo’s HP: 41 – 5 = 36 HP.

It was a glancing blow. The sleeping gas, the poison, the surprise, all of it made it hard for the man to hit you. You nearly bounced away from the impact, but you recovered easily. You were accustomed to pain, and getting bashed with such strength was nothing compared to the pain inflicted by the weaponry, even less when compared to the training you had undergone.

You continued your path past him, and delivered a gale kick. It was like hitting rock, and you knew you had failed to inflict any damage to him despite your impressive strength, but you cared not for that. That wasn’t your objective.

No, your objective had been to throw him against his partner, and so you did, lifting him into the air armor and all, and kicking him like a soccer ball towards the other guard. You heard the crash behind you, and you turned around at the same time you hopped away.

It had half worked. You had made them crash, but the other security guard had seen your ‘projectile’ coming and had put his shield in front of him. The bulk had still nearly thrown him aside, but he was too strong and durable. His partner, however, had clattered to the ground painfully, hitting himself pretty harshly between the crash and the fall.

Eden Security Guard B has lost 5 HP (fall) and another 5 HP (poison)
    Eden Security Guard A has lost 3 HP

“Fuck.” The man spat a curse as he stepped past his fallen partner and towards you, but you had opened the distance too much, and he had to close it once again, approaching you.

Behind, the poisoned guard struggled to get up, coughing all the while. He was rapidly getting worse, whatever Shirai had on that knife of hers must’ve been really nasty, but you suspected it wasn’t enough to finish him off or take him fully out of the battle. He was already starting to stand up.

Suddenly, the subtle tremor of the ground below you intensified, and you felt more than saw a change on the outside. You risked a glance through a window, instinctively avoiding looking at the cracking, crumbling sky.

You saw something approach from the east, something that looked both like a formation of clouds (too low to be truly clouds) in the shape of a fist. You saw it impact against some sort of energy field around the school, then a flash of white hit the fist, dispersing it.

For a moment, nothing happened.

Then all the windows of the hallway you were in, and perhaps of the whole detached building, exploded at the same time, raining shards of glass around the battlefield. You felt the world below you heave like a mad beast, and a strange sensation that you could only describe as reality twisting around you, a weird sense of the surreal that almost made you feel like you were in some sort of inconsequent dream.

The sense of danger woke you up before you lost all sense of what was real and what was not. It reached an all time high, and perhaps for the first time, you grasped just how far out of control the situation had gone.

And how little it did matter at this moment.

You had an enemy in front of you, and you had the advantage.

Turn 4

Codex update

Name: Eden Security Guard
    Race: Human
    Attributes: Human, Unbound
    Spiritual Rank: 1

Stats:

STR: 20
    DEF: 14
    SPI: 10
    EXS: 10
    AGI: 20
    EVA: 15

Perks:

Susano’o Warrior (Security Force)
    Soldier trained by the Susano’o, the codename applied to Izanami Corporation’s PMC branch. Belongs to the lower rung of the organization, mainly intended to serve security and peacekeeping tasks to protect vital areas, rather than engaging in the battlefield. Has mastery of weaponry, and receives an overall bonus of +4 STR and +3 AGI when wielding melee weaponry, and +2 DEF when wielding shields.

Tough It Out
    Technique. An application of the martial arts taught to Susano’o soldiers. Toughens up the muscles on the body to better receive an attack. +10 DEF for the turn, and reduces chances of being inflicted a status effect. Cooldown of 4 turns.

Equipment:

Raikou Stun Baton
    A mix between a baton and a taser invented by the Izanami Corporation. Equipped by the Susano’o branch peacekeepers when they wish to take down targets non-lethally. Grants +3 STR when used to attack, and has high chances of inflicting stun on an unprotected target. Deals physical and lightning damage, thus having chances of inflicting Paralysis Lvl 1.

Genbu Shield Mark VII
    Transparent “plastic” shield designed by Izanami Corporation. Simple and sturdy, it is designed with durability in mind. Grants +2 DEF when wielded, and it is extremely resistant to battle damage, being hard to destroy even in pitched combat.
    Seems purposefully designed to resist Orochi’s fangs.

Susano’o Body Armor (Eden)
    Body armor worn by Susano’o soldiers. The lighter version assigned to security forces; its colors have been modified to represent their new loyalty to Eden. Grants +5 DEF. The helmets are supplied with air filters designed to challenge harsh battlefield conditions, and the armor is equipped with self-anesthetic and automatic tourniquet deployment capabilities to keep the combatant going, reducing damage inflicted by Bleed by 1%.

quotes

Myo

Orochi vs Eden
    Turn 4

The Second Warning

In an instant, everything changed. Myo could feel the world around her shifting and twist.

And yet, at the same time, nothing has changed for her.

She believed in Shirai to get the job done. She simply had to continue to stall these two guards here. She would not take any risks, rely on any gambits; She would simply keep them here and watch as their lives slowly slipped away, breath by breath. Even with their helmets, there's no way they could didn't inhale smoke. And the more they exert themselves, the more they take deep drags of the potent concocation of Shirai's creation.

Sooner or later, the loss of senses would get to them. All Myo needs to do is wait them out.

She gave a small sigh as she saw their actions, the one guard approaching by his lonesome again, whereas the fallen guard was attempting to get to his feet again. It looks like they did not learn very much from her previous lesson. If they tried attacking her together again, she would use them against each other. And if they tried to duel her one-on-one, she would wait for them to exhaust themselves, and then take her time to definitively execute them.

Either way, this fight was concluded. All that was left to was reach the determined outcome.

Still, once again Myo reminded herself. Winning and losing the fight was secondary. The objective came first. In that case...

"Perhaps you should go beg your teacher to come save you. This is clearly beyond what you can handle."

"On the other hand, if he was the one who trained you, then he probably couldn't make a difference anyway."

*Prepared Evasion Readied*

wiseup
    HP: 41-5=36

Honk

Blog Entries
    Myo

Orochi vs Eden
    Turn 4

Above, Shirai sneaked by. Thrice now she’d been delayed by sentries posted on the third floor, and she was not happy about it at all. She was being slowed down too much by the need to keep stealth. They had underestimated the layers of security involved, and she wondered if that white-haired bodyguard hadn’t intended to deceive them with the wording he had employed.

She’d been able to take the chance to slit one of the guards’ throat, but that’d been under circumstances where she’d been able to quickly stow the body away to avoid it being discovered for the moment. The only saving grace of this situation was that her presence was unknown. Whatever was going on outside seemed to have shut down all the comms.

Just as well. The people posted here were definitely stronger than the two weaklings below. Equipped as they were, even Myo and her combined couldn’t have taken those guys in a head-on clash. Were these guys even considered human anymore?

Didn’t matter. She was working an angle of approach now. She had no idea of what would await her there, but she only had to find a way to deal with the sentries at the door now.

Better do it fast. She really was starting to feel like she’d made a mistake leaving Myo alone down there. Call it a bad feeling, but she hadn’t liked anything about this excessively atypical situation in the first place. And she couldn’t even do as rats do and cut out of this, at this point.

Damn it.

Well, here goes nothing.

------------

“Seems like a rat has made it all the way here.”

“…”

“Still some minutes left to go. May I ask you to take care of her?”

“Do I have to?”

“Such is the deal we and your president have worked out, Mr. Gray.”

“… Very well.”

“No need to look so glum. I wish for her to live, Mr. Gray.”

“I wonder if that’d be doing her any favors… don’t mind me. I’ll go take care of it.”

“Go.”

“Soon now. To have so many unexpected pieces crop up… would it be contradictory to say, as expected? If everyone had remained so obliging in the first place, I’d have been almost disappointed.”

“No matter. Soon, I’ll be there again… I wonder how many will prove worthy?”

“Of entering my Eden?”

------------

“I am getting tired of this bitch.” The first guard groaned, not answering your words directly. Instead, he took out a certain object off his sleeve.

“Wait, Mike…” His companion’s eyes widened, but his warning came too late.

The man held the syringe in his hand, and then, with a brisk movement, injected it into the wrist of his other arm. He threw the empty object aside, where it bounced against the wall.

The change was instantaneous.

Blood poured off his mouth and nose, ejected so rapidly it splashed down his already bloodied armor, turning its front from white to red. Veins popped visibly on his arms, and a muffled scream of pain escaped his lips, as his body twisted in agony.

Eden Security Guard A has lost 36 HP.
    Boundary of War activated.

And then suddenly, he was charging at you.

And he was fast. A lot faster than he’d been before. He caught you before you could pull back, and his baton came smashing at you from an oblique angle.

Precision roll

Roll: 4
    DC: 16
    Failed.

Battle calculation

ESG A’s Speed
    -23 (ESG A’s AGI + SW – Gas) > 22 (Myo’s EVA)
    ESG A’s Attack
    -30 (ESG A’s STR + SW + Baton) – 11 (Myo’s DEF) = 19 damage.
    Myo’s HP: 37 – 19 = 18

Eden Security Guard A has lost 4 HP.
    Eden Security Guard A has been inflicted Stun (Level 1).

Something cracked inside you as the impact drove the air out of your lungs. Your stomach lurched with nausea, pain shooting through the core of your body. The only blessing was that the hit sent you skidding back, away from the guard, but you felt your muscles twitch involuntarily as the electricity ran through you.

The only reason you could keep standing, that you could keep going at the full extent of your power was simply because you had experienced much harsher. How many times had you come to the boundary of life and death, back then?

This was nothing. You weren’t on the ropes yet. The guard didn’t look so good himself, and his bloodshot stare looked kind of hazy, as if he had taken a hit to the head.

The other guard had stood up, and started staggering his way here. Shirai’s poison had crippled his mobility. You didn’t doubt that he could be as fast as before up close, but otherwise just catching up with the fight was taking him all of his effort. How unsurprising of your partner to be carrying that kind of poison.

You moved. Your body still answered your commands. And inside, modifications that had been unneeded for so long hummed awake.

Turn 5

Codex update

Name: Eden Security Guard
    Race: Human
    Attributes: Human, Unbound
    Spiritual Rank: 1

Stats:

STR: 20
    DEF: 14
    SPI: 10
    EXS: 10
    AGI: 20
    EVA: 15

Perks:

Susano’o Warrior (Security Force)
    Soldier trained by the Susano’o, the codename applied to Izanami Corporation’s PMC branch. Belongs to the lower rung of the organization, mainly intended to serve security and peacekeeping tasks to protect vital areas, rather than engaging in the battlefield. Has mastery of weaponry, and receives an overall bonus of +4 STR and +3 AGI when wielding melee weaponry, and +2 DEF when wielding shields.

Tough It Out
    Technique. An application of the martial arts taught to Susano’o soldiers. Toughens up the muscles on the body to better receive an attack. +10 DEF for the turn, and reduces chances of being inflicted a status effect. Cooldown of 4 turns.

Boundary of War
    Body modifications specifically used by the Susano’o branch, mostly nanotechnology recently developed by Izanami Corporation. Upon hitting 50% HP, they activate automatically. The user gains a flat +3 to all stats and an increased overall resistance to status effects.

Equipment:

Raikou Stun Baton
    A mix between a baton and a taser invented by the Izanami Corporation. Equipped by the Susano’o branch peacekeepers when they wish to take down targets non-lethally. Grants +3 STR when used to attack, and has high chances of inflicting stun on an unprotected target. Deals physical and lightning damage, thus having chances of inflicting Paralysis Lvl 1.

Genbu Shield Mark VII
    Transparent “plastic” shield designed by Izanami Corporation. Simple and sturdy, it is designed with durability in mind. Grants +2 DEF when wielded, and it is extremely resistant to battle damage, being hard to destroy even in pitched combat.
    Seems purposefully designed to resist Orochi’s fangs.

Susano’o Body Armor (Eden)
    Body armor worn by Susano’o soldiers. The lighter version assigned to security forces; its colors have been modified to represent their new loyalty to Eden. Grants +5 DEF. The helmets are supplied with air filters designed to challenge harsh battlefield conditions, and the armor is equipped with self-anesthetic and automatic tourniquet deployment capabilities to keep the combatant going, reducing damage inflicted by Bleed by 1%.

Nanite Stimulant
    A last resort. Meant to stimulate the nanites to activate them before the moment they usually would be. Consequences for the user are dire. HP is reduced to 50% and Stun (Level 1) is inflicted for the turn afterwards.

quotes

Blog Entries
    Intermission
    Starting Point

Kayin Adebayo flicked the blood off his sword with a diffident gesture.

Normally, he much preferred to use guns. It was a much more elegant and easier way to kill a target. But the bunch he might’ve had to face had been the kind that required a less… mundane solution, and he wanted to reserve his special equipment for later.

He observed the human wreckage about it and grimaced, holding his ribs with his other arm. His prediction had been on point.

No one was all that happy to discover someone else slicing off a portion of the World. Much less someone who they had all considered suspicious, or had viewed with enmity for one reason or the other.

They had made their unhappiness known. And the faction behind Sir Darion hadn’t been quite as good as rooting out threats as advertised.

He looked towards the town around the school. Except there wasn’t much of a town left anymore.

Idly, Kayin wondered how Baumer would manage to cover this one up. Then cursed softly at another pang of pain from his ribcage.

Good grief. A goddamned Kindred Bloodseeker, of all things. When was the last time he’d had to deal with that particular pain in the ass? A century?

No, the hidden side of the world was plenty unhappy. Thankfully, that was about to stop being his problem anymore. He’d have to point out to ‘Father’ that his friendly information sources in Izanami were either more inefficient than expected, or taking them all for a ride.

… Now then.

Time to deal with this bunch.

“So, what are you planning to do, Ms. Reign? Are you attacking us too?” He asked.

The small woman he eyed warily smiled wickedly at him. “My, and why would you expect me to be so uncouth, Mr. Adebayo?”

Kayin grunted in annoyance, and shifted his posture. His eyes ran from the other small woman holding Reign’s parasol high at her right, and the girl to her left, who was busy shutting her eyes and trying to not see the carnage around them.

He didn’t know why the woman put so much effort to avoid even the slightest ray of direct light. Far as he knew, she wasn’t a fucking vampire. But then again, few knew Reign’s secrets. Kayin was old, truly old. But the woman in front of him, despite her youthful looks, was even older.

Unease. That’s what he felt. She shouldn’t be here. Her forces shouldn’t be present in such numbers and strength. No… in fact, now that he was able to take a better look, every single member of her Round Table was present here. Hell, if the woman holding her parasol was Ling, the mysterious ‘zero’ of the organization. Every single one of them was here.

“… You want to come along. You are using our conduit to get there.” He said in amazement. It was stupidly simple. The principal had guessed that Reign had her own means to hop in as well, but it had never occurred to them that she might just show up here and get taken along with them.

“Ah, so you do have a brain, after all.” Reign clapped, amused. “Really, nobody over there thought about the possibility of someone hitching a ride?”

“The date was supposed to be a secret.” Kayin replied, bemused. This was a very direct approach, which just wasn’t done, in their secret world. Everyone was supposed to be all secretive and mysterious and use more cat’s paws than those that could be found inside an old lady’s house. “Otherwise, we’d be in way deeper shit than this.” He added, waving at the rapidly cooling corpses.

He rubbed his forehead, and thought of what he could do about this. Jack shit, that’s what he could do. Maybe if the others weren’t so busy on the other side of the school terrains... but they’d probably choose to not fight it out either.

No, there was one thing he could do…

“Guessing you’ve got your own taps inside Izanami.” He said, conversationally.

“Now, now, it would be rude for me to tell on others, wouldn’t it?” Reign answered with a lady-like laugh.

“One would think of it as repaying a host’s kindness, given how rudely you are borrowing our ritual.” Kayin dissented. “Am I not right, Ms. Yorks?”

As he said that, he jumped backwards.

And that part of the school’s immediate outside disappeared in a flash of multicolored light.

“So that part of Sir Darion’s stash of secrets was right…” Kayin’s voice surged out of the ensuing smog. The old man had jumped inside the boundaries of the school just in time. He hadn’t exactly avoided the attack, but he merely looked ruffled and slightly burnt.

What had saved his life had been the many layers of barrier set up around the school. Barriers that had been just annihilated in the blink of an eye except for the innermost one, that had barely even held on.

He recognized the feeling of that attack. He had felt something similar once before.

The so-called Spiritual Power.

“You tapped into that world, didn’t you? That’s heresy of the highest order!” He said, more surprised than indignant. He didn’t care about heresies or whatnot, but he was truly surprised that the monster before him had gone the distance.

“Oh, shut the fuck up.” Reign said, her façade crumbling. Part of her group had suffered the aftershocks as well, and gotten a metric ton of dust and dirt into their faces. Someone at the back cursed their boss, who stomped childishly and flashed a middle-finger to the back before turning her attention to the African sorcerer. The two girls beside her looked quite embarrassed at her behavior. “So, what if we did? Like you aren’t committing the biggest heresy of them all. Or why do you think all the others got so mad?”

“Or, do you want to pretend you don’t know the real identity of that boss of yours? Somehow, I doubt you’d have abandoned your mercenary ways otherwise.” She added nastily, recovering a bit of her majestic attitude.

She waved her hand, and the Round Table started spreading around the outside of the school, careful of remaining at the south.

“Tell your new chieftain this. We’ll stay out of each other’s hair for now. But I do not acknowledge him. Tell him to not expect to go unchallenged! We ain’t gonna be as pliable as he thinks!”

She pointed upwards, and the cracking sky suddenly sundered open. The ritual was completed. The world turned.

And thus they came to the world where nightmares dwell.

Intermission End.
    Last edited by RacingeR; June 4th, 2022 at 12:05 AM.

quotes

Myo

Orochi vs Eden
    Turn 5

BGM: The Second Warning

The first guard seemed extremely irritated by Myo's words or actions, or perhaps a combination of the two.

“I am getting tired of this bitch.”

“Wait, Mike…”
    Myo cautiously observed the situation as the guard took out some sort of syringe. Some kind of steroid? If the man was only just using this now, and given the context from his coworker, then it would seem that this was some sort of desperate last resort. Without a doubt, it'd come with drawbacks.

She processed this information with mixed feelings. On one hand, it means they're pushed to the point where they have to resort to their final measures. On the other hand, it's these last resorts that are often the most dangerous, and most tricky sections to deal with. It would be remiss to lower her guard, for even a moment.

The moment the guard injected himself with the liquid, Myo could tell that it took effect instantly. All of a sudden, blood started pouring out of every orifice on his face, and his veins seem to expand against his body. Just as she suspected; an extreme steroid with serious drawbacks.

But she wasn't ready for the speed of the guard's charge. She figured he would be faster, but she was taken slightly off guard by the full extent. As a result, she took the full blow, the baton knocking her back, coughing up blood as the liquid filled her lungs.

(BGM stop)

THUMP

There was a pounding in her head.

THUMP

But it wasn't from the pain.

THUMP

Everything in her vision felt blurry, out of focus.

THUMP

It almost felt like she was in a dream, like she had been asleep the entire time.

THUMP

But at the same time, her mind felt sharp.

THUMP

Despite the damage, her body was brimming with energy.

THUMPTHUMPTHUMP

It was a nostalgic feeling.

THUMPTHUMPTHUMP

A forgotten memory from long ago.

THUMPTHUMP

She felt like she was standing right on the edge of the abyss.

THUMP

Just how long has it been since she felt like this?

THUMP

She felt like she was coming home.

BGM: The Third Warning

Myo seemed to be standing there in a daze. But something... was wrong.

Within her eyes... there was nothing there. An empty shell of a human. No, that's incorrect. They simply didn't notice it. Or perhaps they were trying to ignore it. They didn't want to acknowledge it. Someone, something was staring back.

There was nothing around Myo, but she could see the faint outline of something. Faces with a sorrowful yet familiar visage. A mountain of corpses.

It wasn't any kind of knowledge, but it was something far older. The human instinct was warning them, screaming at them. There was a chilling pressure that could be felt even through all their high tech armor, shaking down to their very bones.

Buried deep inside was something dangerous.

Impuritas

Run away. Flee. Retreat. Or kill her in one shot. Decide now. Hurry up. Quickly.

In the midst of all this, Myo began to move. Her movements seemed slow, almost disjointed.

But despite appearances, she was actually moving even faster than before.

In spite of her unfocused expression, her body moved with purpose.

Step. Step. Step.

Step-

-Step.

In between those steps she vanished. The poisoned guard tried to look around but suddenly found his head unable to move.

The armor's bulkiness was a weakness that Myo had already taken advantage of once before.

And of course, even in this state, Myo was still Myo. Even without being able to see, precisely, because he couldn't see, he knew what had happened.

Godspeed. Speed that the eye can't even see.

Myo had moved behind him, and was now grabbing his head with her superhuman grip. Thankfully, the helmet protected him. It was wasted effort.

The next moment his head, neck screamed in pain. Without bothering to be delicate, leveraging her full strength, she ripped off the guard's helmet with all the force she could apply, before knocking him into where the thickest part of the lingering smoke.

She then turned her head to face the remaining boosted guard, staring, without saying a word.

wiseup

HP: 37-19=18

Str: 15 + 3 (IW)+4(???) +4 (Crimson Scar & Cobalt Scar) +2 (Weakness Identified)= 28

Def: 5 + 4(???) + 4 (Orochi Uniform)=13

Agi: 20 + 1 (Godspeed) + 4 (???) + 10 (Flying Sword) = 35

Eva: 15 + 5 (Godspeed) + 4 (???)= 24

Honk

Blog Entries
    Myo

Orochi vs Eden
    Turn 5

Too fast.

Perhaps only now truly did the guards understand the true meaning of ‘Godspeed’.

A movement so fast that eyes couldn’t follow.

Not even a blur could be seen.

The poisoned guard was not given time to understand what was going on. He struggled, of course, but now even her strength was borderline superhuman. The guard let go of his shield, and clawed and Myo’s wrist, while he attempted to poke her with his baton, hoping to keep her away with it.

It was a good effort. But he mistook her intentions. He thought she was trying to snap his neck. But she was not aiming for that.

The helmet came off. He had but one moment to understand what was going on, to understand just how he had screwed up. And then Myo kicked him into the thick of the gas. It was dissipating fast now, but there was still enough, and he breathed the fumes in without being able to stop himself.

The world blurred before him, and his eyes closed against his will.

Eden Security Guard B has fallen unconscious.

The other guard charged at you, and you felt something stir within you.

You could feel it, clawing from inside your body. You could feel it like a siren call that spoke directly to the ‘you’ that existed beyond your body, the sum of your mind and soul.

And yet you couldn’t answer. You weren’t allowed to answer.

You weren’t quite ‘there’ yet.

You felt the boundary at the same time your enemy approached.

In a way, the guard could consider part of his duty fulfilled. You would be going nowhere anytime soon. Or so he should have thought. Regardless of everything, you both still stood within the bounds of a ‘normal human’.

Except you didn’t, and he knew it as well as you. The only reason he could even bring you to this point was because of the equipment he wore. He understood this fact.

He understood that he had to bring you down in one shot or die.

And he understood that he couldn’t.

And then he came short.

He was too groggy. The gas was gone now, but its effects remained within long enough. His body halted just before you, ever so momentarily. He couldn’t reach you before you could attack again, so he hunkered behind his shield.

You saw the weakness, once again. The bulkiness of his armor. The size of the shield. How it couldn’t be raised fast enough to defend from attacks above. Or from the back, for that matter.

The weak points you had seen at the beginning. The one opening as you both stood at the edge of a knife.

Do or die. The battle reached its deciding moment.

Turn 6

quotes

Myo

Orochi vs Eden
    Turn 6

It was nothing short of chance. A pure coincidence.

But in the end, that decision ended up saving both of their lives.

The secret within Myo even to her fellow assassins within the order remained unknown.

It was close, but things had been stopped right before they progressed past the point of no return.

For now anyway.

Which means that for the current Myo, the mission still took priority.

The lives of the two bodyguards were secondary. One was rendered unconscious. As for the other one...

There is nothing else that can describe his current state than defeated. Desperately cowering behind his shield...

If they were her targets, that would be one thing. But her target was the principal further ahead.

It was time to continue the mission. Probably best to provide her comrade some backup in case it's needed.

Sheathing her weapons, Myo dashed past the lone remaining guard. With the state that he's in, with the condition that he's in, he had no hope of delaying Myo, let alone stopping her.

And that was perhaps both a blessing and a curse.

In the end, she was still one step away from the abyss. Perhaps part of the reason she had deliberately stayed behind and told Shirai to go ahead was to ensure that she would not get caught up if things had come to a head. The impurity that not even the organization with all their resources could remove, only suppress.

And now that ticking bomb was primed once again. Set to go off. Only time would tell if it would be to their benefit or detriment.

Honk

Blog Entries
    Myo

Orochi vs Eden
    Turn 6

You dash past the guard, and run towards your objective.

The staircase appears before you. You just have to run up and hope Shirai has opened the way for you.

And you make a miscalculation.

The guard is not defeated yet.

A roar comes behind you, and you chance a look behind, towards the blood-covered guard charging at you, his veins bulging and his eyes crazed. His grogginess had worn off, and he had managed to recover enough.

Can he stop you?

No. The speed difference between the two of you is too great, and he’s still somewhat slowed by the consequences of using that syringe.

Can he hit you?

Yes. It is a last desperate swipe, one that will surely leave him open for a fatal counter-attack, but one that can still reach you.

And yet.

The attack never reaches you.

Game over.

You can’t move. Neither can he.

Instinctively, you understand that your partner failed. Her very first time failing, too. Agents that fail tend to lose their lives, so living after failure isn’t very common. Vaguely, the thought that she’s going to be pissed off like never before crosses your mind.

It is also your first failure. But you weren’t aware of the time limit, or the conditions of your fight, nor did you know your target until an hour ago or so.

This mission was impossible in the first place.

A painful realization.

You don’t know this, but this had been a feeble last stab, Orochi’s answer to the challenge issued by the principal, the same one he talked about a year ago after meeting those two interesting delinquents and realizing the schemes that had been moving behind.

“Send against me those equal in age to my students. If you want to attack it, play by my rules and enter my school. That is the game that I will play.”

You didn’t know this, but you were against humankind’s strongest. But to triumph against this, one had to have surpassed humanity’s limits entirely and have taken a step beyond humanity.

But you weren’t aware of this. You hadn’t been made aware of the many schemes that had moved behind you and had conspired to create this insane situation, nor would you be. And it had already ceased to matter.

The pressure crushed you from all directions. No matter how much you tried, you couldn’t take a single step. All the noise and chaos outside had ceased entirely, and now not even the protection around this specific building could stop the phenomenon from affecting you and those inside who lacked a more personalized protection.

You didn’t see the sky shatter, but you felt it, as reality twisted and howled. You felt the World’s keening lament as a part of it was sliced off forevermore. Your vision blurred and went black.

Your bonds to this World, to your former World, were severed, and you felt the thing inside you awaken however briefly and rejoice, an alien sensation that came from something else.

Then, there was the onrush of teal light.

And then a dreamless sleep, so deep that it was almost a welcome relief.

quotes

Blog Entries
    Everyone
    Time: Useless

In many of the spiritually awakened cultures, the soul is a sacred concept.

The soul is the reflection of the self. In that, many of the magically inclined religions agree. In many worlds, a person is considered the combination of their soul and mind, but it is the soul that provides the capacity to feel, the capacity to truly be.

In the trinity that composes a being, the soul is often argued to be the most important piece, and the most taboo one.

A taboo, because a soul is considered to be the most intimate part of one’s existence. It is supposed to be invisible and intangible, something for you and you alone. It is not supposed to be seen or touched by someone else.

Yes, in many ways, a soul is the ultimate taboo. Even many of the evilest beings in the endless worlds will hesitate to mess with someone else’s soul. Greater powers that you can’t even begin to dream of will act to smite those who commit this crime.

Perhaps it is a mercy that you do not know of this.

The moment Zeus High School is enveloped into a column of darkness that disappears in the blink of an eye, leaving nothing behind but a wide hole and the ruins of a town…

Something from beyond the veil reaches towards you, inside the concept of ‘you’ and touches your very soul.

It is a horrifying sensation that cannot be described in words, because your language has no words for it, nor had taken the concept into account. In the passing of a mere instant, that thing changes you irreversibly, against your will, without giving you any choice into the matter whatsoever.

Your fate was sealed the moment you were caught up in the sorcerer’s great ritual.

You are warped forevermore.

An ancient decree fulfilled.

“Do not forget that everything was done and made for the sake of killing me.”

Trauma then fades into unconsciousness. The last you manage to perceive is a crashing sound.

And then follows a silence more overwhelming than any noise.

Soon, you’ll awake. You’ll trickle and ‘spawn’ into this world one by one, within a warped, labyrinthine version of this school.

But for now, you sleep.

You’ll need this sleep. You’ll need all the strength you can muster.

The first day in this brave new world always tends to be quite traumatic, one could say.

PROLOGUE END

The skies shattered and down came the school’s building, with its terrains around. Impelled by magical forces, and yet cushioned by similar forces, it descends down to the ground, interrupting a hapless witch mid-ritual, and raising general havoc with the surroundings.

A storm of spiritual power puts the many powerful entities into alert, and awakens lethargic Spirits, but it would be more than a few hours before true hell begins. Before the first death occurs and snowballs into catastrophe, as the undead start to plague the now convoluted maze of hallways.

Ancient schemes are fulfilled and begin yet another phase. The wheel of fate turns, and the bell tolls for the fourth time, announcing the arrival of the Fourth Generation of Survivors, those doomed to end it all, for good or for ill.

True hell begins now, but within it reaches the opportunity to reach heaven, if you grasp it.

PHASE 1 – SHATTERED HORIZONS
    “It lurks. It approaches, day by day. Step by step. That most dreadful nightmare of Hundun.” – Metropolis, Archives #87

Rika Griffin, Sakura Sumeragi & Eilian Aubrey
    Location: Sea of UNKNOWN – Warped Zeus (Distorted Hallways – ??? Floor)
    Time: Day 1 – Afternoon

You all wake up at the same time.

You don’t wake up well. The experience of having your soul be manipulated so callously is a harsh one. You feel ill, your limbs tremble, and you feel more than vaguely dizzy.

Really, you feel like you need a month of rest and a pool full of brain bleach after that one.

But you are awake nonetheless, and you can move and act, and that’s all that matters.

Even before you open your eyes, the stench that hits your nostrils is positively vile.

You’ve never smelled something like this, so rotten, so utterly putrid. It is revulsive, and it is that, more than anything else, what pushes you awake.

When you open your eyes, you notice you three are the only ones here.

Correction.

You are the only three living ones here.

The room you’ve landed within is not one you can recognize. You are fairly sure no room like this exists within the school. Not that you know of.

But what calls your attention, even more than the complete lack of furniture or of anything in the room is all the blood coating it, liberally, like someone had splashed a bunch of red paint around.

Oh, and of course, the pile of death bodies in one corner of the room, thankfully away from you three.

How to describe the horrible sight? The corpses at the bottom, that looked like they had been ripped apart, or mauled by wild animals, missing portions that looked like they’d been bitten off, organs dribbling out…

Or the corpses at the top, those who looked like they had been dead for a long, long time, some mutilated, others appearing to have been staked through the head at various angles, rotted and decaying, putrid beyond belief, only recognizable as human by the uniforms they wore. That all the corpses wore.

Uniforms of Zeus High School students came into view, illuminated by the single functional lamp in the ceiling.

You struggle to process this horror, but you aren’t given time.

A high pitched, soul-rending scream interrupts your reverie. It is muffled somewhat, but it is still incredibly loud, the sound of a human throat being strained at the very limit by absolute terror.

It comes from one of the three exits the room has.

Before you can even think of how to react, the scream is interrupted suddenly.

And then, there is only silence and the stench of fear and decay.

Lorelei Weber
    Location: Sea of UNKNOWN – Warped Zeus (Twisted Classroom – ??? Floor)

There were many ways to express how you felt right now.

None were elegant, polite, or ladylike.

It was perhaps best to say ‘like shit’ and leave it at that.

You stirred and groaned as you struggled with the torpor that invaded you. You were really out of it, and given what you had experienced, perhaps you did hold the wish to be out of it for a while longer. Mostly because ‘it’ was not a good place to be at. You were pretty done with ‘it’. All ties severed.

“Behold. The sleeping beauty stirs at last.”

The voice is so dry with sarcasm, so unfitting for the situation, that you can’t help but to open your eyes and sit up upon hearing it.

… What did you even open your eyes to?

This is a classroom, alright. Except that it has been twisted so heavily that you can’t recognize it anymore. Half of it looks… sort of melted, you’d say. The floor tiles overlap with each other in a vaguely sickening way, and the walls look swirled, as if stirred paint. Except someone stirred the material itself.

No lamp functioned. The only light that illuminated the scene came from the windows and it was teal, faint enough to create stark shadows, but present enough for you to notice even more disquieting details.

Many desks and chairs had been strewn around, and a few looked broken. One chair was coated with blood, one of the desks was half-melted and the blackboard had been sundered in twain at some point, with more blood dribbled on it, including a stain that greatly resembled the print of a human hand.

“Yeah, doesn’t look good at all, right?” The girl whose voice woke you up said, but she doesn’t look very bothered by it all. Judging from her uniform, a fellow student, though you didn’t know her.

She was standing near the door of the classroom, and peering through its window. Her hand grasped a stick… no, the leg of a chair, with a tip that looked as if it had been sharpened really quick.

Whatever she was looking at, it seemed to be holding most of her attention.

“As far as nightmares go, this one’s pretty pleasant. Got the bizarre décor down pat.” More of a mumbled, deadpan comment to herself, but your ear did manage to catch that.

Alexandra Gray
    Location: Sea of UNKNOWN – Warped Zeus (Courtyard – Tree Garden)

The strange things that had happened to you were very concerning.

Feeling nauseous, dizzy and vaguely like you needed an adult was also very concerning.

Waking up hanging head-down from a tree was also extremely high on your list of concerning things.

You twisted to look upwards. You were still wearing the gi and the pants the Martial Arts Team had lent you, and you saw that one of the sleeves of your pants had become entangled with a particularly gnarled branch of the rather tall tree you were onto.

Which, to be fair, was the only thing keeping you from a head-on collision with the ground.

… You didn’t really remember the trees in the school terrains looking so gnarled and twisted. You had a bad feeling about this.

Thinking positively, you at least didn’t seem to be feeling the bruises you should be sporting after that match with Hiyori. You had healed… somehow.

Thinking negatively…

The flapping of wings alerted you, and you looked around until you detected two black shapes approaching in the air, and landing a cautious distance away from you.

Encountered Mutated Crow (x2)

These had only the vaguest of resemblances to a crow. Their bodies seemed to be bigger than they should be. Their beak was oversized and looked knife sharp. The shine of its eyes was blood-red, and a bestial, unreasonable rage dwelled within.

They cawed, if you could call cawing that grinding noise. Those eyes were locked onto you.

They did not look friendly.

Johnny Justice

You struggled up.

Being the king of the streets hadn’t been an easy job. For every victory that had ended in a single punch, you’d had at least three that had come after a tremendous slugging match where you and your opponent had exchanged blows until both of you were a bloody mess.

You were no stranger to being wounded.

You were willing to concede that this feeling was something else alright. It didn’t take you much to shake it off, to force your hesitating body to move as you willed, to school the involuntary trembling with the iron of your will.

You were also no stranger to corpses. You’d seen perhaps a bit too many back in the day.

And this was definitely a corpse. The light of the single lamp illuminating the dark, warped hallway didn’t do much to help you see, but that unmoving thing half in the darkness was without a doubt the corpse of a boy, of a fellow student, whose chest had been ripped into.

It was not something you’d expected to see. To be fair, nothing of this was something you expected to see. For a moment, perhaps caused by the earlier insanity, you struggled to parse the situation.

Then, the corpse started to decay before your very eyes.

The rot took hold quickly. It devoured the cadaver in the blink of an eye, the stomach-turning stench filling the hallway.

And then it started to stand up by itself.

Shuffling. Behind you. Danger.

Two more, shambling out of the darkness in your direction. Empty gazes full of nothing but empty hunger and berserk will. No intelligence there, just instinct to consume and devour.

Encountered Decayed Being (Human Schoolboy) x3

Danger.

Instincts not used in a year came back online as if they’d never left. Adrenaline pumped through your veins.

Fight or die.

Now there was a language you were definitely no stranger to.

Olivia Reeds & Cyrus Ferdinand

“Wake up!”

A sharp voice, shrill with panic, blasted on your eardrums. That managed to stir the both of you out of the torpor you felt, although it was a true struggle. Waking up like that after such an experience was… not pleasant. To say the least.

“Fucking wake the fuck up already! Fuck!” The voice screamed again, and Olivia felt someone lightly kicking her side.

Finally, your eyes snapped open, and heads moved, searching the source of the noise.

Cecily Ridley. Member of Zhong’s gang. Who looked to be so scared she was about to soil herself.

“Oh fucking finally! Shit, shit, shit! Stop… fucking… aaaugh! STOP LYING THERE! GET UP!” She howled.

She looked like hell on earth. Scrapes mostly, but a few nasty wounds had been opened on her right side, and her shirt looked like a solid half of it had been torn apart somehow. A vicious burn could be seen on her back from Cyrus’ standpoint, though it looked a lot worse than it really was.

There were two other persons here, two boys neither of you recognized, but that also seemed to be scared for their lives, as if they were about to just go running away at any time now. Neither seemed related to Cecily or her gang.

And what the hell was that noise? You weren’t sure of how to describe it. Like nails on chalkboard. As if the floor was being scraped…

Cecily’s eyes widened in terror, looking kind of like a haunted animal.

You followed the direction of her eyes. And you witnessed something truly inexplicable.

The many windows in the hallway projected teal light, providing fair illumination to witness the yellow mass of acid slithering through the hallway, occupying it fully, stretching as if to cut off any route of escape from that way.

Encountered Yellow Slime

Was that… a corpse within the mass of acid? You only saw it for an instant, and it had been already melting, but… that janitor was definitely not having a good day…

Now you understood why everyone was scared shitless. It was hard to not look at that thing move, acid eroding floor and walls as it passed, and not feel fear. Although for Cyrus, the situation merely evoked a strange sense of déjà vu.

Neru Sune

Some of your dreams were recurring. A lot of them featured the same monsters, the same death traps, but the situation mostly varied, and no dream was quite the same.

And yet, some were almost always the same. There was some variance, but the essence remained unaltered.

Men and women, seated cross-legged. Their hands united in a symbol you had difficult discerning. How old, you couldn’t tell, because they always looked dry and mummified, their robes hanging from their bodies almost like a shroud.

You couldn’t they if they were dead or they yet lived somehow, but they looked too corpse-like to be alive.

Their robes… black, and their adornments were gold and ruby. They all looked vaguely Buddhist, like belonging to an Eastern religion that had much in common with them. But you had once investigated and seen enough images to conclude it was not so.

The quantity of the monks always varied. Sometimes there were a few, around five or so, sometimes there were a dozen, two dozen, or even fifty. A few times you’d seen what you thought were hundreds of them.

Main reason you thought they must be alive was the chanting. The haunting noise, syllables of an unknown language, had to come from someone. Or rather many someones, as it was quite the choir. But you never saw any of them open their mouth.

The scenery was blurry, and hard to remember. It was underground, most definitely, it looked too cave-like to be any other way. An underground temple.

The decorations resembled the ones the monks wore. Golden skulls here and there, some silver, and you knew that when you went forward, you’d see crystal skulls, one, maybe two or three, sometimes. There was a bead of rubies, all with runes carved on the round surfaces. You didn’t know why, but something about the shape of these runes creeped you out.

You walked forward, to the front, where the faces of the monks were pointing to. Their eyes were closed. That detail never changed.

The hole in the forehead was new, however. This dream was always so blurry and strange, that you’d never noticed it, but today it seemed more… defined, to put it in words. You didn’t waste much time examining them, as you were compelled to continue forward.

Another thing that never changed was what laid at the other end of the room (or what you thought was a room).

The nude man there had once been handsome. In fact, he’d been so beautiful that he would probably have gotten straight men worshipping him by the hundreds.

The reason he wasn’t that beautiful now was that it was hard to look your best when a spear had impaled you through the top of your head, continued straight through your body, and nailed you to the ground.

This one you were sure that he was dead. He had to be dead. Yet, the corpse always looked fresh, as if recently dead, untouched by any corruption. You could still see the dry blood that had soaked the top of his blond hair.

Sometimes you thought you saw the corpse twitch, but you weren’t sure. Almost as if there was the residue of life left there.

Usually, you didn’t die in this dream. It wasn’t a proper nightmare. You normally just remained there, feeling creeped out and afraid, but never quite sure of what. It was as if feeling of omnipresent horror reigned within this temple. And then you woke up.

Some of the painful deaths you had suffered were less scary than this. At least they were direct and to the point.

This time…

You weren’t sure of when the Mannequin had appeared in front of you. One moment, empty space. The next one, sudden creep.

It did not seem pleased to see you here. It waved a hand, and off you went, tumbling back to the waking world.

--------------

You’d had bad drug trips that were much better than this. Only the worst of your nightmares were worse than whatever had happened once the world went insane. You curled on yourself, and remained so for a while, unwilling to entertain the world while you fought the queasy sensation that came with having some creature giving your soul the spiritual equivalent of a swirlie.

Apt comparison, perhaps, but not entirely so.

The sound of voices arguing woke you up.

“… telling you that we should just go while we can.” A male voice said.

“And leave everyone else to rot?” An angry female voice replied.

“I’m just saying we’re going to get ourselves killed trying to help. We’ve already lost three persons, if you haven’t noticed.”

“And? We’re saving plenty more than three, if you haven’t noticed.” The female voice replied thornily.

“Bah, fucking coward. I can almost smell the shit on your pants.” Another female voice, more mannish, interrupted.

“I swear… will you never shut up, woman?!” The male voice got heated at that.

You opened your eyes and managed to sit up.

Rosalin Lovell, treasurer of the Student Council, was someone you recognized, at least, although of course you’d never talked to her.

She was arguing it out with a taller boy with a very intense stare, who currently had his arms crossed and had an air of strained patience. Neither of them looked very happy.

The third voice had come from a woman you also recognized but you’d never seen in the flesh. Lizbeth Moores was a pretty well-known figure in Zeus High due to her boxing achievements. She was also involved in the American Football team, if you recalled.

The other two looked normal, but Lizbeth… she didn’t seem all that badly hurt, but her clothing looked it had been sliced into ribbons, and scratch marks could be seen everywhere on what was visible of her skin.

Wondering what did that was not a very pleasant exercise.

You’d been lying on top of a desk. Your awakening was noticed by the other people in the room: three boys and two girls, all underclassmen, who seemed to want nothing to do with the argument the trio was carrying at the moment.

The three then noticed you.

“Ah, the deadweight’s finally awake.” Lizbeth said, without much malice or heat to her words.

“Finally. Was getting tired of carrying his ass.” The boy sighed and relaxed slightly.

“Ah, never mind them.” Rosalin walked up to you and examined you. “Are you alright? You don’t seem wounded but…” She asked. But… yeah, just one look at her eyes and you could tell that the experience of having something mess with you in a way you shouldn’t be messed with wasn’t exactly exclusive to you.

… What the hell was wrong with this classroom? The walls and ceiling looked normal, the desks and chairs were strewn around but were normal… leaving aside the traces of blood here and there, which you noticed just now. But the shape was all wrong.

And why were there no lights? What was the teal light coming from the windows?

Suddenly, you had a feeling you weren’t in Kansas anymore.

Masaki Tomomi

You’d had nightmares before.

Having an eidetic, photographic memory sounded really good, but it did always have that one flaw: what you saw couldn’t be unseen. Forever.

And your childhood did have quite a lot of nightmare material, even if none was something all that overt. Dreaming of your blood parents was always deeply unpleasant.

Of course, that couldn’t compare to what you had experience. It had been much worse than the nightmares.

You felt sick.

And you felt yourself waking up, slowly but surely, almost against your will.

You were being carried. Your eyes opened, but your body remained still as your brain struggled to get itself started and process what was going on.

You were slung over someone’s shoulder, being held there by a strong arm. You blinked. At least your carrier was a girl. A girl with red hair…

A sudden chill almost froze your blood when you recognized Liu Zhongli. What was going on? What had happened? How had you ended up in the hands of one of the most terrible persons in the school, and what was she planning to do with you?

Instinctively, you remained quiet, your eyes closed into slits. You took a look around as slowly as you could.

The red-haired girl advancing at her side was Stacy Tirrel. The girl was very recognizable as well, so you were sure of her identity. The others, you didn’t recognize.

Two gang members, both male, were walking ahead, holding metal sticks on their hands that you recognized as part of the chairs and desks of the school. To the side, slightly behind, two gang girls were carrying a blond girl with them.

There were at least two people behind you, as well, but in your position, you couldn’t afford to take a look at them. To your hearing, due to their breathing and the way they dragged their feet, they sounded… wounded?

You were going through a dark school hallway, which… you were a hundred percent sure did not exist. Your memory confirmed that. This hallway was impossible. It shouldn’t be here.

Once in a while you crossed a window. You couldn’t see outside, but this teal light was definitely not the light of the sun you once knew.

What the hell?

And then you saw a sight that did truly chill you to the bones.

Corpses. Two. Dead boys.

Your mind froze for a moment as you processed that. Both were face-up, with looks of horror on them. One was missing an arm and his throat had been ripped out, and the other had his torso split almost wide open.

The image remained there for a moment.

Then, before your very eyes, those bodies started to rot and decay.

It was a horrible sight, more grotesque even than the corpses themselves. But that did not surprise your ‘company’ at all.

Stacy barked an order, and the two boys in front rushed to the corpses just as they started rising. Before the zombies… and yes, they seemed truly zombies, could do anything, the boys drove the sticks into their brains with a grunt of effort.

The corpses ceased moving.

“Shit.” Zhong said to nobody in particular, perhaps more of a general statement towards the situation. She looked around, at her underlings, and noticed how tired they looked. “If there’s no nasties in there, we take the next classroom. We need a breather.”

“Got it.” Stacy nodded, and waved the rest of the company. They got moving, and in a few minutes, they arrived to an empty classroom.

Compared to the hallway, ignoring a bunch of broken chairs, it looked normal. If you ignored the checkerboard pattern of dents in the ceiling.

Zhong walked up to one of the desks, and deposited you there much less roughly than you had expected. The others did the same with the blonde girl, who appeared to be still asleep, and really not having a good time of it. Understandable, given what had happened.

Stacy and her boss retreated to a corner of the classroom, and started talking. You had to strain to hear them from your position.

“… fucking Tanner screwed the pooch. Shouldn’t have gone with his stupid idea.” Zhong spat.

“It was the best one given the options we had at the time.” Stacy disagreed. “Oh, I think he’s an asshole who can’t take the broomstick off his ass even with his life in danger, but he isn’t exactly stupid.”

“Don’t care, now we’re split up and we’re losing people left and right. And every dumbass that bites it adds to the trouble. Did you contact the other guys?” Zhong asked.

“Some of them. They’re all lost. We’re being kept split up. Can’t organize jack if at every turn everything goes to shit. We need a safe place. If it’s true that Deschamps is set up in the lobby…” Stacy’s controlled non-expression suddenly showed frustration, before she reasserted her mask.

“Yeah, that’s fine and all, but we got no idea of how to get there. And I swear all the really bad stuff’s been trickling down to the first floor. I’d love to scrap with these things, don’t get me wrong, but it ain’t good if all of our people die.”

“There are a few other options. We could…” Stacy interrupted herself, and sighed. “You know she’s awake, right?” She nodded her head towards you.

“Yeah, felt her breathing change.” Zhong shrugged.

Well then.

Xavier Augustus

Your head hurt like hell after all that.

And this song wasn’t helping matters.

Whoever was singing had a pretty voice, but didn’t really know how to use it. She was very out of tune. And the song appeared to be just nonsensical sounds. Either that or it was in a language unlike anything you’d ever heard.

It was so bad that it almost single-handedly galvanized you into waking up and sitting up out of sheer indignation for this heresy towards music in general.

You almost wished you hadn’t.

You weren’t sure of how to describe the scene in front of you.

The classroom had become spiral-shaped at some point. Or at least the floor and ceiling had, while the walls curved abnormally. One corner had a small part of the ceiling actually cave in.

You thought you saw a bit of red, like blood over there. You chose to believe you were just seeing things for now, because the most abnormal part of this resembled a drug trip.

There was the ghost of a pretty girl, floating over there and singing her merry song. White flame came from her extended hands, and bathed…

Some sort of green gelatinous mass? It did have a resemblance with a certain monster that often appeared within videogames.

Encountered Infis
    Encountered Green Slime

The green slime was trapped within a circle of white flame, and it was being slowly cooked out by the ghost, who seemed to be just enjoying the process.

Suddenly, she turned her head around and saw you.

“Oh, would you look at it?”
    “Would you look at that?”
    “He woke up!”
    “Woke up!”

“Though the slimes would eat you before you came to!”

The ghost spoke in two different, distinct voices, and laughed as if the concept of your demise via acid organisms was a very funny joke.

Aaron Arturio & Willow Durand
    Location: Sea of UNKNOWN – Warped Zeus (Detached Building – ??? Floor)

“… ke… up…!”

Neither of you wanted to acknowledge the voice. You were a bit too under the weather for that. Instinctively, you wanted to curl up and pretend nothing had happened for a while longer.

“Wake… up!” The girlish voice insisted. And eventually, you had to obey, as the mists of sleepiness and trauma retreated.

You opened your eyes. You were lying side by side on the corner of a room you couldn’t recognize, a… triangular? Empty room. You… were sure this room hadn’t been a thing.

“They’re awake!” The girl who said that didn’t wear Zeus’ uniform. Red-haired, with twintails, cute-looking… seemed more like a middle-school student.

The other people in the room interrupted their arguing, and approached.

Bryanna Halls was easily recognizable. Few students in the school didn’t know the girl who ran the school newspaper, and Willow had been interviewed by her at least once.

The other boy who approached was a gang member. You didn’t know who he was, he didn’t have fame enough to be well-known.

The boy looked quite bruised, as if he had been caught in a series of tussles. The reported looked intact… although her uniform was somewhat bloodstained and she… was carrying a gun?

There in the other corner of the room. Were these corpses of students? Why did some of them look so rotten? Why did the room look like it had been a battlefield not long ago?

“Thank you, Marie.” Bryanna patted the head of the girl, who smiled weakly, very intently looking at everything but the carnage.

“Well, you are Durand, and you are… Arturio, right? I’m sure you have many questions…” The reporter sighed. The room was quite well illuminated, with three functioning lamps in the ceiling, and a window from which teal light filtered through.

“Don’t think we got much time to give answers.” The gang boy grunted. “We got to keep moving before we get munched on. Again.”

The other three students in the room shifted uneasily. They seemed pretty damn scared, and one of the girls there looked… unwell mentally, to say the least.

A feeling of imminent danger dominated the room.

Aster Hunter

Cold.

That is what wakes you up and makes you struggle to open your eyes. It is no supernatural chill, merely the reaction of the human body upon being exposed to uncomfortable conditions.

The cold wind bats at you as you open your eyes.

And for the first time, you behold the Shattered Skies of the Warped World.

Black. Endless black, as if a cover had been placed over the world. And there were cracks on said cover, cracks through which an eldritch teal light filtered through, providing the sole source of light in the world.

Light that was rapidly fading into a sunset darker than any sunset you’d ever experienced. But light that was enough to show you your situation.

The rooftop of the school looked like some sort of natural disaster had rampaged through. The floor was cracked, shattered and entirely broken in many places where the ceiling of the floors below had given out.

It was a lot bigger than you remembered it being.

You were lying near the border of the rooftop. A place that gave you an excellent view of just how fucked things were.

The monstrous crows flied by. Occasionally, they’d descend down, and peck on one of the many corpses, students and teachers, that were towards the center of the roof. Slowly, the carnage was being devoured by the crows.

You didn’t need to be very smart to guess that these critters were trouble.

Encountered Mutated Crow x4

For now, none had paid much attention to you. Perhaps they had confused you for yet another corpse. If so, it wouldn’t be long till one of them came by for your eyeballs.

A sudden shuffling caught your attention. Near the exit to the floors below, someone… no, something shambled.

It was the corpse of a teacher. You didn’t recognize him, you had never taken classes under him, apparently, which wasn’t strange given how many students and classes there were in Zeus High.

The troubling part was that the corpse was on its feet. And moving. And looking like he’d been dead for days, already.

Encountered Decayed Being (Human Adult)

Danger. You were in danger. You were in deep shit. Those crows were bad. The zombie, instinct told you was even worse.

… And yet, you could feel adrenaline pumping through your veins, excitement instead of fear.

Perhaps you had finally found what you were looking for.

Kaguya

“Gotta go! No… no time! It’s coming!”

“Calm… down! We can’t just leave her…”

The sound of your voices roused you from the sleep where you had instinctively taken refuge from the horror. It was a struggle, but you managed to open your eyes and force your body to sit up.

“She’s awake.” The blond girl that had been arguing just now approached you. “Yo. You’re Kaguya, right? Think you can stand up?”

You recognized her. Hiyori Fontaine, as the captain of the Martial Arts Team, was a well-known figure in the school, even if you had never interacted with her before. Evidently, she had also heard of you and seen you before.

She didn’t give you much time to answer, grabbing your arm. You tried to reject her touch, but you were still too woozy and confused to put up much resistance as she yanked you up forcefully.

You stood away from her and examined the place you were at. The hallway was… twisty. Distorted. Seemed like it was leaning to one side, causing the floor and the ceiling to be slightly slanted. Most lamps had gone out and been broken, but a few were still on.

To your left, the hallway continued on. To your right, there was a closed door that led elsewhere. Before the door, was a male student you didn’t recognize. Probably hadn’t been anyone famous or remarkable.

He looked like hell. His face was bruised, and he was pressing a cloth against his bleeding shoulder, his uniform looking ripped in many places. He was hyperventilating, and ranting to himself hysterically, and so fast you had trouble catching the words.

Suddenly, he looked up towards you, his eyes wild.

“Fuck this! Fuck you! I’m going! I ain’t standing here waiting to get killed! I’m-!”

You never got to know what else he was.

A heavily rotted hand broke through the door behind him. Fingers that resembled claws pierced through the back of his head, penetrating through his skull and coming out to the other side.

Hiyori and you both took a few steps back, eyes widening with terror. You could see the clawed fingers wriggle through the boy’s mouth, and then the hand retreated, part of the student’s skull collapsing as it rotted.

The corpse fell to the ground.

Zeus Student has been slain.

Then, the door exploded.

Out came a creature out of a twisted nightmare.

It had once been a student. The uniform still clinging to its frame told you so. That was the only indication you had of his precedence.

The body had rotten to the point patches of the skin had peeled, revealing inhuman, corded muscles, as if the human that he had once been had mutated as it rotted. A gray, malodorous aura surrounded it, framing its cadaverous silhouette.

Encountered Ghoul.

You stared at its dead eyes.

And you felt the intense and maddened murderous intent behind.

“Run…” Hiyori muttered between clenched teeth. “Now.”

Myo
    Location: Sea of UNKNOWN – Warped Zeus (Courtyard – Northern Yard)

You woke up inside a bush, and for a moment, you had to struggle to remember what had happened.

Then it all came back to you in a flash. The infiltration. The fight. The strange successes that had happened, and the end, when you had been paralyzed and enveloped in darkness. And then the horrid touch of that thing on your soul.

You sprung up from the bush with a start, struggling for a moment with nausea and disorientation.

First, you’d been pretty banged up at the end of the fight. However, now you were… it was as if the fight had never happened. Even your broken bones had healed up.

Second, you weren’t in the detached building anymore. You were outside, in the terrains of the school. You could see the enormous, twisted silhouette of the main school building from where you were at. It took you a moment, but you figured out you were at the north of the school terrains.

Third…

Teal light bathed the courtyard. You were sure it hadn’t been that big before. You were sure the vegetation here had looked… different. You were in a place full of bushes, some that came up to the height of your waist. And the trees you saw here and there were all gnarled and twisted up, some having rather weird spiral shapes, as if their main trunk had wrapped into itself.

And… you looked up. To the broken black sky. To the cracks where the teal light came from.

Sir Darion Charles Parsons, the principal of Zeus High School, had succeeded in his ritual. What that meant, where you were at… you didn’t know the answers.

And you weren’t given the time to dwell on it.

You heard a chittering sound, and a sudden chill ran through your spine, causing you to unsheathe your swords and take your stance almost immediately.

They came, crawling out of the bushes. As big as a medium-sized dog, and as heavy as them. Their long frontal teeth came out of their mouths in an overbite, pointy and fang like. The smell of pestilence accompanied them. Long pink tails, the length of your longer sword, whipped against the brush.

They didn’t look like rats.

They looked like the version of rats that existed within a schizophrenic’s nightmare.

Monstrous and bloated, with deadly fangs and clawed hands. And a feral hunger in their red eyes.

Encountered Mutated Rat x2

They advanced. A pincer, one from the left and the other from the right.

You were their prey.

Masaki Taichi

The sound of a struggle woke you up.

You fought your disorientation as you arose. You handled the nausea, and shoved the part of you that was gibbering in terror aside to take stock of the situation.

You’d been lying against the wall of a classroom that looked like a bad surrealist painting. The insides of the classroom were a mess. Chairs and desks lied around, broken and shattered, some smeared with blood.

Two corpses had been lain on the floor. Both boys and fellow students. They had died messily.

You looked towards the classroom’s door, where the noise was coming from.

Two students, a bespectacled boy and a blue-haired girl (Astor Miller, head of the Gaming Club, and Myrthe Zegers, head of the Swimming Team, respectively. They were well-known enough for you to recognize them), were struggling to keep what looked like… rotten zombies? Out of the classroom. They were holding chairs and doing their best to blockade the door, but the zombies at the front were very strong, and continuously pushed them backwards.

Encountered Decayed Being (Human Schoolboy) x2
    Encountered Decayed Being (Human Schoolgirl) x2

Their situation was quickly turning for the worse.

Ishmael Freeman

“And the end will come, no matter how much you struggle, no matter how much you despair! So WE HAVE to be prepared! Only the prepared, the strong, will survive! You’ll be incarnation of that ideal, boy! I will show that asshole Schwarz who’s the superior one! I will show him that my ideal will surpass his!”

You don’t know why, between world, that rant came to your mind. Your ‘grandfather’ had some moments where you could almost feel the madness come to the fore, a madness fed by a lifetime of bitterness and regret.

Usually, in those moments, he would rant and rave about things you couldn’t understand at all, and had no connection or context to. Many times, he would just drive himself into a rage, other times he would just continue talking to himself until lucidity took hold of him.

You’d forgotten most of the content of the rants, and you’d never cared to remember them. This one had only come to mind due to one reason and one reason only.

A deeply, incredibly upsetting and annoying feeling that your grandpa had been right, after all. Or that at least, he’d known something about this.

That was probably more annoying than having the innermost parts of your being messed with.

--------------

“… Hm?”

In the darkness, a single eye opened.

“Interesting…” A voice spoke in a cheerful monotone. “So, that old man was able to accomplish something, after all.”

A small ripple of surprise poisoned the cheery stillness of the man’s voice.

“My, I expected to go another thousand years or so without taking interest in the mortal world, but…” A figure stood up amidst the darkness. That figure was darker than dark. Blacker than black. An ink stain against the backdrop of the world.

“Well, this game has proceeded to a stage that nobody could have predicted. Always the old men, isn’t it? But to dare to flip the chessboard at this late date…”

“Ishmael Freeman, is it now? A suitable name, I imagine. Heh.”

“Freeman. The irony of it all.”

--------------

You surveyed your surroundings warily.

You’d woken up in a hallway within the school building, improvised medikit in hand. That was… about all you knew.

The hallway had no windows, and you couldn’t correlate it with any place within the school. Most of it was in complete darkness, save for a few spots illuminated by still functioning lamps.

And that was all the information you had. You stood up. You had to decide in which direction you’d proceed.

… Did you see a shadow flicker below one of the lights, or was it just your imagination?

Jordan J. Jones

How to describe the sound that woke you up?

It was like the unholy combination of grinding and hissing. It was a sound that made nails on chalkboard sound like one of Shelia’s hits in comparison.

Someone shook you. Again and again, mutely calling for your attention. And finally, you obliged.

Your eyes snapped open.

You didn’t know who this girl was, but she looked scared. She immediately brought a finger to her lips to call for silence, before you could ask anything, and then pointed towards one direction of the hallway you were at.

You moved your head to look and-

Encountered Green Slime

What the fuck.

It was a videogame slime. Okay, not exactly like one. This one looked uglier and much meaner and was evidently composed by acid, given how it was melting and devouring a classroom door.

Its green, viscous mass was sticking halfway through the doorway of the classroom. It seemed to be busy eating, and it hadn’t noticed you nor the girl who had woken you up.

The hallway was in complete darkness, save for the teal light that came from the windows, casting away the dark so you could see your plight.

You didn’t have to be immersed in videogame culture to suspect that the slime would prove to be less than friendly.

Eleanor Lansing

Cold.

Why was this place colder than an icebox?

You’d waken up atop a desk abandoned in a hallway. It had been a struggle to get up after what you’d undergone, but you did. The smell didn’t let you delay facing reality any longer. It was a smell you’d recognize anywhere.

The smell of blood.

A shallow pool of blood coated the floor of the hallway.

How? Where had it come from? To who did this blood belong?

All questions without answer. The hallway continued beyond your sight, and the pool of blood was ever-present and stagnant.

You almost expected it to be frozen, given how cold it was here, but it wasn’t.

What was going on? You felt more confused than you should. As if your senses struggled to catch up with reality, trying to understand your situation and failing to.

Save for the teal light from the windows, you were in the dark. A fitting metaphor for your situation.
    Last edited by RacingeR; June 6th, 2022 at 09:43 PM.

quotes

Lorelei Weber

Lorelei's sleep was disquiet and unwilling; never in her life had she been knocked unconscious before, so the feeling of lost awareness was new to her. And yet when she came to, there was a feeling that maybe that sleep was more of a boon than she could've expected. As she woke, she surveyed her surroundings, and... her usual placid gaze turned a bit sour.

She turned to see the source of the 'sleeping beauty' comment, at least somewhat relieved that it was another student. Less relieved given that they were holding a sharpened chair leg like a weapon, and watching the door for intruders.

There was blood all over, and the walls were wrong. The light was wrong. Everything seemed completely off, as if it had been rotated thirty degrees off of reality's axis.

"I'm going to assume you don't know what's going on very well." She sat upright, rubbing her head for a brief moment before standing up and taking stock of her situation. "I was walking with Jozefa... we were concerned about an earthquake due to tremors, and now we're here. Perhaps it wasn't tremors. I don't have any logical explanation for what just happened, so I'm going to assume either we're in a shared nightmare, I'm dead, or..."

Though at hearing the comment about bizarre decor, she shook her head. "If this were a nightmare, wouldn't we know each other? Or this have some semblance of meaning to either of us? I doubt you're particularly affected by athletes in your day to day life."

Somehow, nothing about this situation seemed unmanagable. Unreasonable, irreverent to reality? Absolutely. But Lorelei found it a lot easier to accept that this was just how things were now given the impossibility of the classroom's state.

And besides, she at least had someone else with her; so it couldn't just be Hell, right?

"...I'm Lorelei, I'm a Junior. How about you?..."

Her eyes moved to the other student's weapon.

"What's going on outside that you're so interested in? And that you've got a chair leg. That you've sharpened. You didn't cause the blood in here, did you?"

While Lorelei hadn't shown any signs of alarm yet, it was clear she was concerned about whoever or whatever bled out in here. Everything being so, so wrong in here, as much as it didn't show on the surface, was putting her on edge. It was impossible. It shouldn't be, and yet it was. It didn't make any sense, and that part of the proceedings unnerved Lorelei.

She didn't wait for the other girl's answer, but instead started looking over the desks for something that could serve as a weapon of her own. After all, with the state this room was in...

"Were you guarding me as I slept?" She asks rather suddenly, turning back towards the girl for a moment before continuing to scrounge.
    Last edited by Vorbis; June 5th, 2022 at 10:42 PM.

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    Jordan J. Jones

Jordan's eyes blearily opened, and his brain took several seconds to kick into first gear. During that time recent memories flashed by him. He recalled football practice. Teasing the Rains. Some weirdo - Arturio - running in, talking about a girl in trouble. Running to the office to distract Zhong's gang. Finding the PA system. Unleashing years' worth of resentment in verbal form. Captain saying they had to go. Feeling elation slowly drain away into regret. The door, unblocked. The world, shaking, the floor, collapsing, and then, a pain everywhere, as something from outside understanding reached out and touched-.

What the fuck?

Jordan J. Jones blinked away sleep. The girl - cute, what was her name? - before him pointed down the dark hall he had found himself in, revealing...

"What the fuck?"

Though he only mouthed the words, they were the type that even the deaf could understand. In that one phrase was contained dozens of others, like a super-sentence that neatly communicated everything he felt about the situation: What the fuck was that thing? What the fuck was it doing? What the fuck was it eating? What the fuck else was in the classroom? What the fuck had happened to the others? What the fuck had happened to the school, the sky, the everything?

What. The. Fuck.

Jordan stood up, unsteadily, trying not to make noise. The thought of fighting the strange green person-sized slime thing crossed his mind for only a moment before he punted it downfield past the thirty yard mark. He shook the last remaining dregs of dizziness from his eyes and opened his mouth to ask the girl something... before shutting it again. He frowned, fumed, reached into his pocket, withdrew his phone, muted and then unlocked it.

Tap-tap-tap-tap. Tap. Tap-tap-tap. Tap. Tap-tap-tap-tap.

Jordan turned the screen (brightness lowered to the minimum) towards the girl whose name he didn't know. Upon it shone three words:

what the fuck
    Last edited by Bloble; June 5th, 2022 at 10:48 PM.

Alexandra Gray
    Location: Sea of UNKNOWN – Warped Zeus (Courtyard – Tree Garden)

When I had decided to 'hang out' with my friend and my new team captain for our lunch break, I did not quite consider that due to a bizarre turn of events it would become quite literal.

Depressingly so.

I hung limply from the branch I was entangled with, the gnarled, unhealthy-looking bark of the plant seeming bizarre and out of place.

I don't think the pair of them would have drugged me and left me out here as some manner of bizarre hazing ritual, and I possessed none of the lingering mild nerve damage that would have come with such a fast-acting gas from an outside source. Only mild nausea and a vague, deep-rooted feeling of violation on a level I had difficulty ascertaining besides the fact that it was there, and had happened.

I frowned, lifting a hand up to my brow to nurse the growing headache, pausing only the examine the lack of bruising, or indeed, any pain from the movement.

Hm.

Ah, I stood corrected, the mild 'pins and needles' sensation was setting in, but only from the blood rushing to my skull, so, evidently, I had not been here for very long.

I hoped.

Still, this was a bad spot to be in for very long, I reckoned. Helpless and dangling from far too high up.

Terribly exposed, as my father would say, thankfully, I worn pants, so the expression was not quite so literal.

In retrospect, a good decision to bow to Hiyori's demands.

I may have died with no pants on.

Terribly embarrassing.

My eyes flicked at the sound of movement, fluttering wings accompanying uncannily familiar forms.

They were certainly bird-shaped, wings, talons, a beak, small beady eyes, feathers.

They fit the mold, but the resultant being was something very wrong.

Bloated, overfilled, like a Crow from a child's nightmare, a beak meant for seeds or loose carrion was hooked and sharp like a raptor's, twice as long as something on any ordinary bird of prey.

Logically, my brain stated, that thing should not be able to fly.

And yet it had just landed, like any other bird. So logically, conventional logic is to be set aside for the moment.

Still, I doubted any garden-variety corvid would have eyes bulging with some bloodlust.

Not without due cause, intelligent as they were.

I would have to move cautiously, if my instincts were correct, the beastly birds were a few moments from lunging at me, they had freedom of movement, and I did not.

The sudden movement from freeing myself may startle them into action, so if I was to defend myself, it would have to be on a solid branch or gnarled mass of branches, as weathering any assault would be untenable.

I'd have to defend myself with raw force.

The best option of all was to simply make my way to ground as quickly as possible, as to maintain freedom of movement, for even as threatening as they looked, if I had good enough ground, I would gingerly give myself an edge.

Enough of one to fend them off and get to cover, at least.

I gazed around me.

Wherever that was, not here, preferably.

And so, pausing to give myself a moment to estimate the force I would need, clenching and unclenching my hands...

I curled up as if to make a crunch, rending my leg down with another bit of force, tearing the fabric loose from its hold and sending me plummeting into a semi-controlled fall.

I let my arms stretch out, casting my mind back to a day observing the Gymnastics team at practice.

I didn't have any chalk, so this'd be rough on my hands, but needs must.

Just like the high bar, no?

If I have to defend myself, I should have enough momentum and control of my lower body to make an able kick, if not, keep moving.

Blog Entries
    Jordan J. Jones

The girl pursed her lips. She grabbed her own phone off her skirt, went through the same motions you had, and typed her own message in it.

“Do I look like I fucking know?” Was the message written in her phone.

You noticed you had signal. Interesting, but then again, the school had its own Wi-Fi. So that was still functioning… did that manage to explain it? No. It was weird, but the whole situation was weird enough already.

To the side, the green slime kept happily gnawing on the door, wall, floor and literally anything that entered contact with it.

quotes

Eilian Aubrey

The carmine eyed girl wretches dryly as the smell overwhelms her senses. The aftermath of... whatever just occurred still rattling through her body. Arms wrapped around herself as she tries to bury herself in her coat, seeking warmth to drive away the chills that are not from temperature.

Turning away from the pile of... remains Eilian wracks her brain as she tries to fill in the gaps, and she fails. Nothing beyond the defiling sensation and that darkness that she can't forget.

Blurry eyes fail to recognize either of the other... living students there, not that she particularly had bothered learning anyone's name at the school so far.

No, that wasn't important now, neither of them looked like they had any more clue of what was going on. Her metal gloved hand delves into the inner pocket of her coat, pulling out a rather bulky looking cell phone. A few swipes have it set to silent mode before she rapidly dials '911'.
    Collection of cherished moments
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotonoha View Post
    I'LL KILL YOU PLUE
    <Zagrin> I'll kill ya Plue