Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Koyanskaya's Lore and Story

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trubo View Post
    Fox Tail killed my interest when it went years into Suzuka shit I didn't care about
    Well, she is the most important character after the protags and is Tamamo's foil so it's only fair they dedicate time to her.

Koya would be more interesting if she wasn't handwaved into having the most lame excuse as to why she looks, talks, and acts like Tamamo despite not being Tamamo but sort of actually is?
    Legit question, how is Koyan actually different than, for example, TamaCat.
    She's almost the same as Tamamo in looks, actions and speech but has a different origin than the original.
    In fact, Koyanskaya is even closer to Tamamo in personality than Cat.

The only difference is that she is not a tail that came directly from Tamamo, but how is that relevant? She's a separate character nonetheles.
    And if the answer is that you didn't want Koyanskaya to be a tail anyway, then your expectations were misplaced to begin with.

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle
    JP Friend Code
    I think the character having been the actual Vitch trying to break away from the legend of Tamamo/Amaterasu would have been more interesting. At least, them better foreshadowing the twist would have made it more acceptable, but it just feels weak overall. Tunguska could have been a complete rewrite as of them developing Koyan Light for all we know from what was written up until that point. We should have been able to look back into each Lostbelt and figure out that the clues were there the whole time, rather than looking back with this new context and thinking, "I guess she technically didn't say X/I guess what he said was just a mistake."

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Then your problem is with Koyan's character itself and the foreshadowing leading to the reveal, which is fine. Her not being one of the Tamamo Nine is irrelevant. Being Vitch wouldn't make her Daji and wouldn't have made the Tunguska connection any better.

My issue is people's obsession with "she's not a Tamamo!!!" when she clearly is a Tamamo in every way that matters. But since she not the specific tail Tamamo cut off in CCC, then it doesn't matter, because they're not actually interested in seeing Tamamo the character featured in interesting storylines, and instead care about some nebulous competition of whose waifu gets more relevant screentime.
    Last edited by pinetree; January 3rd, 2022 at 06:23 PM.

Blog Entries
    If TM don't slap the Tamamo name and attribute to Koyan, no one would care about her. It's just a vicious marketing tactic really, and it worked perfectly.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, no one would care about a recurring sexy kemonomimi villain featuring in every major storyline in the game for the last 4 years. She's also a super busted unit in the game, but they sure needed the Tamamo face to get money from the whales.

Tamamo-face is definitely a marketing tactic (on top of being a puposeful writing decision, imo) but implying she wouldn't be popular otherwise is just crazy.

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle Alexcoene's Avatar
    Yeah, that's the same kind of thing you can say with Nero. The Saberface is a shameless marketing tactic, with pretty much no justification in this case, and yet she has a fandom of her own now.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Kirishima's Avatar
    Honestly, even if she was a Tamamo, her plan from the start was to differentiate herself from Amaterasu/other Tamamos, so the end result was always going to be her becoming different from one.

Tamamo's arc was concluded in EXTRA and the tails are just a gag and we don't need them anyway.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pinetree View Post
    Well, she is the most important character after the protags and is Tamamo's foil so it's only fair they dedicate time to her.
    Kazuradrop is more important, I'd rather have it use more of the CCC cast than author self-insert + Suzuka, and there's a difference between devoting time and focusing so much on another character that proclaimed main character had less unique screen time than a completely new and largely irrelevant character.

Legit question, how is Koyan actually different than, for example, TamaCat.
    She's almost the same as Tamamo in looks, actions and speech but has a different origin than the original.
    In fact, Koyanskaya is even closer to Tamamo in personality than Cat.

The only difference is that she is not a tail that came directly from Tamamo, but how is that relevant? She's a separate character nonetheles.
    And if the answer is that you didn't want Koyanskaya to be a tail anyway, then your expectations were misplaced to begin with.
    Koya could have been a well-received character in her own right without having to lean extremely heavily on fanservice-bait, especially with all the screentime she got, but Nasu went with fanservice instead. I wasn't super thrilled about Kotomine and Shirou being inserted into GO, even if only proxy, but even they have better justifications for why they look like they do than what was presented for Koya. Her not being Tamamo but larping as Tamamo had some hints to establishing a neat twist like with LB4 that could have paid off well, but Tunguska didn't do the past 4 years justice, especially when Nasu literally did this with Nero significantly better. It's just the usual Tamamo gets second-fiddle treatment all over again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    Then I will ask that you pay closer attention
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    So if I'm reading this right DP is saying that the feature almost everybody hates that is bad and makes the forum objectively worse will never go away because that would negatively impact another feature that nobody has ever used and most likely never will use just in case someday, someone wants to use it. Is that right?
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    It's like if someone told me "make me a milkshake" and i was blind and they gave me the ingredients and I made a milkshake because milkshakes are good, but it turns out that milkshake was a bomb.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Koyanskaya is a major recurring villain, so saying she wouldn't be popular without Tamamo is like saying Douman wouldn't be popular, which is categorically false.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sione View Post
    If TM don't slap the Tamamo name and attribute to Koyan, no one would care about her. It's just a vicious marketing tactic really, and it worked perfectly.
    I disagree. There are several GO-original characters that have done extremely well despite significantly less screentime (e.g. Kiyohime, Raikou, Douman, etc), and Koya was in a pretty good place to capitalize on her story presence to join their ranks.

Quote Originally Posted by pinetree View Post
    Yeah, no one would care about a recurring sexy kemonomimi villain featuring in every major storyline in the game for the last 4 years. She's also a super busted unit in the game, but they sure needed the Tamamo face to get money from the whales.

Tamamo-face is definitely a marketing tactic (on top of being a puposeful writing decision, imo) but implying she wouldn't be popular otherwise is just crazy.
    No one knew any of this until 6 months ago so what exactly is your point here? Characters with long history would have done decently when finally made available in the gacha, though whether or not she'd have done as well as Koya did by looking like Tamamo is something we will never know.
    Then I will ask that you pay closer attention
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    So if I'm reading this right DP is saying that the feature almost everybody hates that is bad and makes the forum objectively worse will never go away because that would negatively impact another feature that nobody has ever used and most likely never will use just in case someday, someone wants to use it. Is that right?
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    It's like if someone told me "make me a milkshake" and i was blind and they gave me the ingredients and I made a milkshake because milkshakes are good, but it turns out that milkshake was a bomb.

Quote Originally Posted by Trubo View Post
    Koya could have been a well-received character in her own right without having to lean extremely heavily on fanservice-bait, especially with all the screentime she got, but Nasu went with fanservice instead. I wasn't super thrilled about Kotomine and Shirou being inserted into GO, even if only proxy, but even they have better justifications for why they look like they do than what was presented for Koya. Her not being Tamamo but larping as Tamamo had some hints to establishing a neat twist like with LB4 that could have paid off well, but Tunguska didn't do the past 4 years justice, especially when Nasu literally did this with Nero significantly better. It's just the usual Tamamo gets second-fiddle treatment all over again.
    Uh, why with Nero it was done better? At least Koyanskaya has some explanation, Nero is a Saberface without any explanation at all.
    Because you are too young. Or too stupid. Or both.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Kirishima's Avatar
    The Nero and Tamamo fan rivalry is something I'll never understand myself. You have the Tamamo fans complaining Nero gets too much, the Nero fans complaining Tamamo gets too much, and in my view they both get pretty much the same treatment.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    @Trubo
    If you think Suzuka was irrelevant then I don't think you've been paying much attention to Foxtail, and she's just as much of a new character as Kazuradrop. No point in duscissing this though, since the way you just dodged my argument completely shows you're more interested in wallowing in self-pity over Tamamo losing the imaginary war against Nero.

And my point about gameplay is exactly that. We do know that she'd be popular anyway because her character archetype is popular and other recurring villains are popular, and even if she failed on both fronts somehow, she'd still sell a ton because people would roll for THE Buster farming support anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kirishima View Post
    The Nero and Tamamo fan rivalry is something I'll never understand myself. You have the Tamamo fans complaining Nero gets too much, the Nero fans complaining Tamamo gets too much, and in my view they both get pretty much the same treatment.
    They're been scarred by Extella and have been obsessed ever since.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Tamamo's only voiced anime roles are in Riyo and FGC and that's just not right.
    canon finish apo vol 3

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six OnesFleetingGlory's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Herod View Post
    Uh, why with Nero it was done better? At least Koyanskaya has some explanation, Nero is a Saberface without any explanation at all.
    It dragged way too long, and the reveal isn't worthwhile. At least with Nero it's revealed almost immediately so the anticipation didn't quite build up enough to sour people up.

And there's no indication a being adopted by Amaterasu will end up as a Tamamoface. Oh, now that it's a precedent, Daji's gonna be a Tamamoface too.

Quote Originally Posted by OnesFleetingGlory View Post
    And there's no guarantee a being adopted by Amaterasu will end up as a Tamamoface. Oh, now that it's a precedent, Daji's gonna be a Tamamoface too.
    What the hell are you talking about?
    Because you are too young. Or too stupid. Or both.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OnesFleetingGlory View Post
    Daji's gonna be a Tamamoface too.
    Obviously??

US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Herod View Post
    What the hell are you talking about?
    I read a theory somewhere that the reason Koyan is like Tamamo is because she was adopted by Amaterasu. I don't know how they ended up with that theory. But now I'm afraid Nasu's gonna use that speculation as a basis to justify Daji as a Tamamoface if she shows up someday.

US Friend Code
    Daji is a bunrei of Amaterasu, of course she'd look like Tamamo

US Friend Code
    Oh.

Welp, I'm eating crow.