Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Koyanskaya's Lore and Story

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Kirishima's Avatar
    Buddhas have always been antagonists

Buddhas just mean they are enlightened. Whether or not they do what with their enlightenment is another story.

Buddha is just the equivalent of Xian in Taoism. Daoshi / Taoist who reached the pinnacle of their ascetism and training become Xian, and Xian can also do shitty stuffs.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six OnesFleetingGlory's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    So Bodhisattva is Taoist's equivalent? Man, the more you know.

JP Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by OnesFleetingGlory View Post
    So Bodhisattva is Taoist's equivalent? Man, the more you know.
    Any being can learn the way of Buddhism to reach enlightenment through their own merits. Even Mara can become a Buddha should they believe in Buddhism and find out a path to enlightenment. It just doesn't want to do that. A lot of the past Buddhas prior to Gautama Buddha are from variety of beings, some are demons, some are gods...etc. Similarly, any being can learn the way of Taoism to reach enlightenment through their own merits, even if they are dead (like the jiangshis in my ava and signature - Chinese zombies revived through either curses or Xian arts, or on their own after death cuz the practiced Taoism) they can still harness Xian power to become a legit Xian.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Byegod View Post
    Hell tamamo uses dakini/taoist/shinto stuff, she never seems to actually use buddhist magic
    She uses Esoteric Buddhism mantras to invoke Dakini power. That's a Buddhism thing.
    Last edited by Lily Emilio; January 5th, 2022 at 10:12 PM.

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle Alexcoene's Avatar
    Yeah, Dakini is both an Hindu and a Buddhist term.

I guess i never really considered kiara a buddha

On the demon thing, i think i know what your referring too, but usually dont the speciifcally become benevolent as they become buddhas?

Actually now that i think bout it nasu's overcomplication of tamamo OG is similar to the koyanskaya problem

JP Friend Code
    Buddhas are generally benevolent. However they also have wrathful forms known as the Wisdom Kings. Most famous being the five associate with the Five Wisdom Buddhas.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wisdom_King

The big Stand in Musashi NP is Acala, Vairocana's Wisdom King form, for example. You really don't want to piss them off enough to the point they manifest in these wrathful forms.

Yeah, but thats usually a specific form or role for that buddha

Isnt the wrathful stuff like a 'holy vengance' type deal

I do recall that one goddess who was a demon who ate babies until buddha stopped her and she became a goddess of children or something

Quote Originally Posted by Lily Emilio View Post
    Buddhas are generally benevolent. However they also have wrathful forms known as the Wisdom Kings. Most famous being the five associate with the Five Wisdom Buddhas.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wisdom_King

The big Stand in Musashi NP is Acala, Vairocana's Wisdom King form, for example. You really don't want to piss them off enough to the point they manifest in these wrathful forms.
    My favorite is when Vajraprani killed Shiva in Tattvasamgraha just because he got pissed with him and Heruka born just to trample with all the other Shiva aspects.

JP Friend Code

I do recall that one goddess who was a demon who ate babies until buddha stopped her and she became a goddess of children or something
    And Kiara is basically an evil Guanyin, it's Nasu interpretation of how Buddhas can have opposites and there are many paths to enlightenment. The goal is the same, but you can reach there from multiple directions, just like the relationship of the Xians and the Tao in Taoism.

True

Personally i do wonder, at least to me it feels like the ammy and daji stuff >>>>>> vairocana stuff in terms of relevency

The vairocana part feels more related to kiara specifically or kiara views tamamo/ammy

if that makes sense, is ammy seen form even have much buddhist iconography on her?

The link between Amaterasu and Daji is actually a lot more obscure than her link to Vairocana. She was linked to Daji mainly by proxy of the nine tailed fox being the same being that appear in most of East Asian mythology, especially ones within Sinosphere like Korea / JP / CN / Vietnam.

The melding of Buddhism and Shintoism however was a big deal for Feudal Japan, and Amaterasu being Dainichi Nyorai / Vairocana was a very relevant aspect of this syncretism attempt.

Interesting

To me at least it feels like the tamamo/ammy/daji parts are far more relevent where the vairocana parts feel like they never come up at all outside of kaira/ccc honestly

And personally from my cynical writing/money perspective, its easier to lean on the fluffy tail stuff then the vairocana stuff...

Actually! has that shit come up much since CCC? and i dont mean just shingon buddhism or whatever, but that specific link, cause it feels like most of it has been put away from the spotlight compared ot the daji parts

JP Friend Code
    Tamamo calling herself Vairocana in FGO and Nezha also see the light of Vairocana from her after calming down from mistaking Tamamo as Daji.

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar

Ηariti.

(thanks SMTV)
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    ladies, he's single
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One asterism42's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I do think that the Tamamo and/or Da Ji baiting just makes it seem like the writers had no confidence that their character could stand on her own merits, which I'm sure isn't actually the case, but nevertheless.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Altaris View Post
    Tbf Kintoki is like, really fucking cool
    Unironically the perfect man, nobody can compare
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstorm77 View Post
    He's just putting the bone of his sword into other people until it explodes and lets out parts of him inside them.
    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerEmiya View Post
    Genderswaps are terrible, but I think I and other people would hate them less if Fate didn't keep ignoring actual heroines throughout history and folklore. Like, why bother turning Francis Drake into a woman when Ching Shih and Grace O'Malley exist?
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    Fate Zero is just Fate Stay Night for people who think Shirou is too girly
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    I think Alex IV can eat Goku.

Honestly if they just had koyan absorb like the spirits to justify some of her gimmick it would work far better then what we have now

This should be a case study in overcomplication

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Kirishima's Avatar
    It's really not complicated

Fine

Its fucking stupid

Better?