Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12347 ... LastLast

Thread: Fate/Antiquity (IC)

Blog Entries
    Sanda Rakuin
    Day 0 - Afternoon (Phase 2/3)
    Higashi Ward - Setagaya Park

You can feel it, in the crowd, before he ever arrives. Their hesitancy and curiosity ebb away into unease and uncertainty. You can spot their expressions in the back change first, as the rest slowly morph like a wave. The moods of crowds are fickle, and you, the entertainer, must always be there to dictate the pace. If it has changed, it can only mean…

“Sir,” you hear from across the crowd, watching as they part. There, you see a man holding a badge slowly walk towards you, menacingly. His pace is measured and deliberate, slow enough to let you see him coming but fast enough that if he started sprinting, he could close the distance. Your mortal enemy, law enforcement, has just arrived—right before you were about to make your speedy exit, too. You know full well that this is karma in action, but that won’t stop you.

“Stay right there. I got a call about a monk soliciting donations and being a public nuisance, so do you mind coming with me to the station to have a nice chit-chat?” Unlike the other straightlaced officers, you can feel the lack of decorum in this man. He sounds fed up with the current situation already, a level of volatility that’s difficult to read. Nothing like a pissed off cop on your ass to ruin a fine day.

Tanabe Shin
    Higashi Ward - YaYa

Shinoda looks like he thinks you’re bullshitting him. That this vague, nondescript specter over your shoulder is much worse than it actually is. He doesn’t bother to put it into words. The sympathy in his eyes and his wearied huff say it all.

“If you need some smokes to feel comfortable, you’re in some shit,” he says, almost reaching to grab an actual cigarette, before he stops himself. You knew his girl never liked the acrid smell that accompanied your “family,” but you didn’t think he’d become this whipped. “Just know you might be able to wring out a bit more help than you think.”

"You look like you're holding up good. How's the family been treating you?"
    “Which one?” he says with a laugh, though you can tell he’s resigned by the change in topic. “My kid’s ‘bout to go to school now, but ‘proud father shit’ will probably bore you to tears. Wife’s still a pain, though.”

He glances over to see if anyone intrudes—doesn’t seem like it, judging by how he manages to look decently relaxed—so he continues running his mouth.

“As for our brothers… We’re expected to lay low. Boss says shit’s gonna happen soon and he doesn’t want us caught in the upcoming mess. He’s sparse on the details, but we’re pullin’ back on all fronts.” He gives you a pensive look, probably mulling over the vague orders he’s been given. “Only reason I had the spare time to help ya out.”

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Hashimoto Arata
    Nishi Ward - Kagamihara University

Yes, just like old times, they slip back into their old routine. It's what makes relationships with old flames, and long lasting friendships so timeless, that even after being separated by years and the twists and turns of life, it's so easy to pick up right where they left off. In every family, the baby of the family will always be the baby, even if they're 50 years old now.

In the case of Tsukiko, it's teacher and student.

Arata was never the outgoing type; he would immerse himself in his studies and research. He took his duties seriously, however. That included his duty as a professor, one that extended to the art of teaching and to his students.

Socrates valued a life of noble virtue: one where proper education would engage, empower, and lead to enlightenment. It is why he placed philosophers at the apex of society, those who ruled with their minds and what was just, not with their passions or base interests.

In that sense, Arata felt he had a responsibility to his students, almost like a parent. Every teacher takes joy in seeing the birds they nurture finally leave the nest and take flight; takes pride in their development and satisfaction in their future. Planting the seeds, and watering the plant so it can grow.

Well, that's not true. Taking it seriously meant he had quite a few disagreements with the methods employed by some other Clock Tower lecturers. In the end, it amounted to nothing because he kept it to himself and focused on his own research. His family had a different purpose, after all.

“Yes, I’m a student here now. Unfortunately, I can’t get paid to be Indiana Jones, like you.” Somehow, Tsukiko settles into the old routine as if it were nothing. You were used to getting a little sass from her now and then, but somehow she manages to continue the same old song and dance as if it were second nature. “I’m an anthropology major, but I got roped into helping around a bit. You take a few archeology classes to pad your grades, and they think you’re talented…”
    He raises a brow at her jibe, a light smile forming as she gives him her usual lip. Indiana Jones does have a nice ring to it. It certainly makes for a different life than the typical lecturer. At least, that's how it must appear. Still, it was nice to see his hunch isn't off. If she can talk like that, then she's still the same old Tsukiko. "Is that so? It couldn't be a soft spot for your old classes," he says wryly. Then, after a pause. "There's a reason they asked for you to help, you know."

“In any case, I haven’t been up to anything interesting since I left your class. But I’m certainly eager to hear about your exploits since, or why you’re in Kagamihara.” You get the feeling it isn’t quite the truth. Tsukiko was the adventurous sort back then, so unless time had tempered her nature, something did happen. But perhaps it’s not your place to pry.
    Students often cycled in and out of the Clock Tower, and while the overall trend had become a norm, each particular case had its own unique circumstances to necessitate such a departure. Arata had been around the Clock Tower for most of his life, and seen dozens of stories like this. He could see right through her denial, but perhaps she's interested in keeping it under the rug, especially with their reunion after so long. Certainly, he has his own secrets he's not going to divulge so simply.

But it can't be helped, that he wants to know anyway. It might not be his place to pry, but he can't deny the interest he feels for what situation she might be dealing with now. The old teacher's instincts kick in.

Arata grins. "No fun stories to tell? You aren't going to tell me you settled for doldrums."

“...Did you finally get burnt out and took a break? Other than the city’s leyline composition, I can’t see any reason why you’d visit here for work, but that’s not really in your area of expertise.” Tsukiko airs her guesses without much restraint. It’s an unspoken challenge, to take the bait and answer her in the guise of proving her wrong. She probably doesn’t expect it to work, and is more or less throwing things out to fill dead air.
    ...it appears the feeling is mutual, for she wastes no time in prying herself. Still, there's no reason to dump all of his baggage here on his former student.

"You could say I'm taking... a sabbatical of sorts," deflecting her insinuation, though he can't deny it. "I've been overdue for one."

After all, he never took any breaks. That in itself might seem odd to her, but it was plausible enough.

“Though, if you need a Kagamihara tour guide, I’m here to help. You did quite a bit for me when I was still studying at the Eleventh, so consider it a late repayment.” She cheerfully offers her services to you with a smile. Then she turns to look back at the exhibits, and scowls. “Still, looking at relics? Do you ever get your fill?”
    Seeing a chance to change the subject and get to know more of his erstwhile student's life, he nods. "That'd be appreciated. I was just looking for some final sight seeing. There's got to be a 'greatest hits' of hot spots you've found living here, right?"

Turning to the relics, he chuckles. "Perhaps not. They're a window to another world, to another time, to other peoples' pasts. You can see all that and more if you look closely. But they won't be going anywhere, so why don't we take our leave now?"

He folds his arms, looking down the hall at the security guards. Not exactly a welcoming place. "Is there a cafeteria here? What's your pick?"
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

So Many Ideas, So Little Time SleepMode's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Zhang Canyuan
    Day 0 - Afternoon (2/3)
    Nishi Ward - Sekigahara Headquarters

The answers given were… Alright. The first didn’t precisely stave off Canyuan’s worries, but it’ll have to do; the Shinonome Head, from what he has heard, tends to be the straightforward type. So involvement will be kept at a down low, at the very least.

With added context from the second, reluctance from both parties was more than understandable. Assuming the Christian church were the sort to purge monsters and witches like those witch hunts he read about, then it would be best for the Sekigahara to not incur their holy ire. At least he got someplace to look into; suppose there’s a priest or nun there he can grill for more info, just to be safe.

Which brings the participation of a Sekigahara representative in a more concerning light: what dire circumstance would push the Boss to participate in such a war against greater forces? Just what would require the power of a single, all-granting wish?

Though this Canyuan would not say aloud. The Old Boss likely has his reasons, and admittedly not his business to inquire about private matters.

…Not to mention being poor form speaking about superiors in such a manner, regardless of an employee’s worries. Better to keep such thoughts under lock and key.

And the third…

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsurugi Ayame
    “That? You’re just my favorite. But I thought it would pique your interest. Wanderers like you have a reason to wander, don’t they?”

Canyuan snorted, shaking his head.
    His handler’s whimsied assurances aside, she wasn’t wrong on either front. Though an unpleasant business through and through, one aspect of this Grail War had caught his fancy.

The grand prize of this secret war. This “Ephemeral Grail,” a wish granter that makes all dreams true. While Canyuan is skeptical of its veracity and strength, there’s an inherent appeal about having an impossible desire fulfilled with a prayer. Who wouldn’t want an instant fix-all to their greatest trouble?

And if these magicians are willing to kill for it…

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsurugi Ayame
    “It simply occurred to me that maybe people like you are in the most need of a wish.”

— - A rattle.

The Expression stiffened, its intended levity on pause.

A briefest of silences passed. Canyuan scrutinized his handler’s statement – looking for anything, anything, to suggest it being another jest of hers. Useless. For all her attitude, Mitsurugi was frustratingly difficult to read.

The operative half-chuckled and scratched the back of his neck as if brushing the shock off his person. The laugh was noticeably haggard.

Lady's more correct than she has any right to be…

“Just what was that,” He leaned towards the office table, an arm supporting his head. “From what I’m hearing, it’s almost like you’re saying I can get into that bloody brawl, Mitsurugi-san.”

Without foundation, lacking direction, bereft of dreams...

“Pretty sure it’s clear, but I’m no magician. Can’t perform weird mystic crap, much less summon a ‘Servant’ without the know-how.” Best to play it off for now. Not like he has a chance of getting in, right?

Vagrants like us have little recourse…

“So try as I might, poor ol’ me can’t possibly participate, no?”

But to keep on stumbling ahead.
    The Act of dozing off in the afternoon is a luxury indeed.
    Coffee would be nice, though.

[Collection of my Servant Sheets]
    Now Revamped!

Theresa Octavia
    Nishi Ward - Shopping District

“That’s better.”

Taking the couple of bills from Lumine’s hand, it was hard for Theresa to not at least make a small smile at the sight of the slightly more cheerful girl.

It was silly, really.

Theresa would be lying if she said that she didn’t pity Lumine. That much was normal for any human being who had even a slight inkling about the girl’s deteriorating condition. Managing to cheer up such an unfortunate individual naturally made Theresa feel not bad- like she was actually a good person.

An absurd notion, all things considered.

Fate had made sure that virtue was never an option for her.

Even her nice little gesture towards Lumine was not free from that fact. It might have been true, that she did actually want to make the pitiful girl feel a little better- but at the end of the day, Theresa had some very real and tangible benefits from helping her.

For one, she expected the same gesture in return, if anything similar happened to her. Reciprocity and all that.

The other reason was much less benign.

Even though Theresa’s Noble Phantasm guaranteed to her that Lumine’s feelings were genuine- that she felt no lost love towards the rest of humanity- it did not tell her what the future of those feelings entailed. They were comrades now, for sure, but who could say how long that would last? That the girl wouldn’t have some doubts towards the end, and jeopardize everything that they were currently working towards?

The girl just seemed a little too cheerful and friendly to match her image of her ideal co-conspirator.

But that wasn’t unworkable. If she showed Lumine a bit of kindness, then maybe it would play in her favor down the line.

Viewed like that, there was nothing really good about what she was doing.

And she was perfectly fine with that. Her goal for participating in this Grail War was also nothing good- it was far too late to let thoughts about morality and virtue dampen her spirits.

“In that case, I’ll be off. Try not to melt before I get back. I’m expecting you to return this favor someday, after all.”

Tanabe Shin
    Higashi Ward - YaYa

Wring out more help, huh? He thinks to himself. It already feels like he's wringed out enough help with this drop. It felt like crossing a boundary even asking for the drop, and picking it up feels like taking three steps backwards.

At least this talk has been some consolation for relying on his old brother-in-arms.

“My kid’s ‘bout to go to school now, but ‘proud father shit’ will probably bore you to tears. Wife’s still a pain, though.”

That gets his smile to grow a bit. It's a bit funny to hear that, coming from him. Shin wouldn't mind listening to him go on about his life outside of this business... If only they were hanging out at the bar.

“As for our brothers… We’re expected to lay low. Boss says shit’s gonna happen soon and he doesn’t want us caught in the upcoming mess. He’s sparse on the details, but we’re pullin’ back on all fronts. Only reason I had the spare time to help ya out.”

It was a given that someone higher up knows about this whole ordeal. Still, it's good to hear they aren't planning to put his brothers on the front lines for it. Who all knows about the war, though? Hisao, sure, but what about the lieutenants?

It's safer to assume they're being left out in the dark, but Shin's had an itch that one of them has been keeping tabs on him.

"That's good to hear. Now you'll have some free time to help out with homework." He chuckles a bit on that last word, mostly at the mental image it gave him. "If you all got time to spare, how's Kasuga occupying himself? I imagine he's bored enough to pick a fight with anyone he sees."

He pauses, giving a chance for Shinoda to talk before sighing and starting up again.

"Listen, try to get me if anything comes up, alright? With the families." He keeps talking in the same lighthearted tone as he did when he was laughing, though its easy to tell he's trying to be stern when you look him in the eyes. "Anything you don't think you can handle on your own."

"Just keep your ear to the ground until they start giving you normal work again. Hell, try giving me call when they start giving you normal work again." He pushes off from the counter to stand straight, glancing backwards towards the door again, in case someone's coming in.
    The Perma-Lurker

Blog Entries
    Zhang Canyuan
    Day 0 - Afternoon (2/3)

A cat-like grin appears on Ayame’s face. She takes her feet off the table, and for the first time since she’s invited you to this room, sits properly. She steeples her hands on the table, blatantly mocking the shady middle-men who managed much of the Sekigahara clan’s assets.

“Yeah, it’d be a pipe dream, wouldn’t it?” She feigns looking off wistfully into the distance, but she knows you are latched onto the idea, digging her claws into you.

“But let’s say, hypothetically, that the siblings don’t want Grandfather to get his wish. After all, what he’d wish for would only prolong the stalemate we’re all in. For someone to break the balance of power, they’d have to turn to someone else.” From the outside looking in, you’d sensed the friction between the various members of the Sekigahara family proper, but never as directly as Ayame states now, in her mockery of a hypothetical.

“So in turn, they look for someone to play spoiler. They don’t need that person to win for them, just to make sure Grandfather’s representative loses. If the representative wins, there’s no chance of the siblings getting everything for themselves, but if they lose, everything will be ripe for the picking when Grandfather dies.”

“Then, they select the Mitsurugi branch, the neutral party, to look for said spoiler. But their representative doesn’t care about forcing that person to do the rest of the family’s bidding. If that completely improbable scenario would happen, what kind of spoiler would they pick? Would that person even bother signing themselves up for a death warrant?” Ayame gives you a cheeky wink.

“Well, it hardly matters. It’s just a joke, haha.” Though her tone is airy and light, you know she’s just making fun out of you now. Her eyes finally betray her words, analyzing you for even the slightest of movements. Unabated curiosity lights up her eyes. The spotlight is on you now, after all.

Asakami Ito

In the end, Se-hun guides you away, with your newfound relic in tow. The cleaner will ideally deal with the mess soon enough, though even if it’s discovered, it’d be covered up anyway. Police couldn’t explain a person being carved into seven pieces very easily, not without looking horrendously incompetent. The pair of you weave through university streets and parking lots, taking narrow corridors where the cameras can’t catch good angles of your face.

Eventually, in the midst of some concrete student parking lot, the two of you end up next to a silver Honda Accord. A perfectly mundane car in average condition. A student like Se-hun probably only has it for courier related things, rather than the unlikely possibility he bought it with his own savings.

“I’ll take you to wherever you want to be dropped off,” he says, unlocking the vehicle with a beep. The two of you get in, the methodical clicking of seatbelts the only sound in the relatively quiet parking lot.

He doesn’t start the car.

“Is it always like that?” he asks, turning to you. Though most of the shock has left his face, it’s undeniable he’s been shaken by the massacre he just witnessed. His eyes desperately plead for answers, even if they may not be the ones he wants. “I just didn’t…”

“Didn’t expect to see that today,” he finishes, divulging a semblance of the truth.

Lysander Scriberis Archemiste II
    Nishi Ward - The Midnight Blue

“Sounds like her,” Kasumi says with a sigh. Her worry is the painfully authentic kind—the suffocating antics of an overbearing older sister. It’s not exactly something you’ve experienced first-hand, but rather, something you’ve seen in some of the family members of your fellow students. The Clock Tower rewards excellency, and it is the natural tendency of magi to be more invested in their children than most, bearers of future legacy and all. “Well, thanks for the update. She’s always sugarcoating things when it comes to work, so I’d wish she’d just be honest…”

"My presence here is just truancy. I'm curious to see how much Kamigahara has changed."
    “How much the town has changed, huh…” Sarah trails off, tapping the countertop with her fingers. “Kasumi and I moved here about five years ago—her for the orchestra, me trying to get a new start, so I can’t tell you much about anything farther back than that.”

Kasumi nods in response, stuffing her saxophone back into its case.

“I’m afraid all I can give you is bad news though. Mysterious, inexplicable disappearances, the death of our Second Owner two years ago, the upcoming shitshow that’s supposed to be a Holy Grail War…” Sarah lists off, sounding displeased about the entire affair. “Do any of those pique your curiosity?”

“Kagamihara’s only nice on the surface,” Kasumi adds, having moved on to getting herself a glass of water from behind the counter. “For those of us in the know, it’s one conspiracy to the next. Half of it’s probably because this place has a fair bit of Clock Tower alumni though, running away from their past by hiding out here. The other half is the old Sekigahara-Shinonome battle, which I think’s stalled? But I don’t enjoy talking to extended family with hands that dirty, believe me.”

Blog Entries
    Asakami Ito

For a moment Ito sits silently, Se-hun’s question hanging in the air between them. His sword resting between his legs, pressed into the floorboard and supporting his weight as he leans forward. Eyes staring forward, through the windshield and scanning the parking lot, Ito considers how best to answer the question.

“This is what I do.” Breaking his silence, Ito explains it as bluntly as can be done. He was never one to mince words. “If the chairman sends me, it means one thing. I only take one kind of job, but I do it better than anyone else. It’s bad luck that I had to be the one to give your first glimpse to this side, but it was bound to happen. You’ve noticed it, it’s impossible not to. There is always something bloody going on in the Shinonome’s shadow.”

Se-hun’s car is no more than a little box paralleling his own life, one which he does his menial odd jobs for the family from the safety of. The windshield Ito glares through is the window that the Korean boy, a child in his eyes, gets to safely and comfortably peer into the dirty part of Kagamihara while keeping his hands clean. But today, he smashed that windshield into pieces, shattered glass all over the boy and made a mess in his convenient safe world.

“You don’t have to get used to it, but you don’t get to ignore it either. Keeping your lunch down was a good start.” Ito leans back into the headrest, taking his weight off his sword. But even as he seemingly relaxes, one hand stays firmly on the weapon, never letting go of it. What is well begun is half done. The job is finished when he’s home. “The only luck you had today was that, when the chairman decided it was time to break you in, he chose me to do it.”

Ito turned, glancing out the passenger window.

“Minami. Tokisaka Shrine.”

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kasumi
    “Sounds like her. Well, thanks for the update. She’s always sugarcoating things when it comes to work, so I’d wish she’d just be honest…”
    Lysander shrugs. Then he decides he isn't satisfied with just a shrug. He's never had any siblings, but can still guess how one feels. What's he to say about the dog-eat-dog world Kasumi's sister has thrown herself into? One that clearly has chased Kasumi away to here and prevented her from visiting? His own words would be nothing but derision.

How would gramps have said it, then?

"Your sister's a magus. That's what she decided on, right?"

We must imagine Erika happy.

"Besides," Lysander concludes. "Getting to lecturer is pretty good for someone that young. Maybe she'll be department head in a decade. Could use someone fresh to drain that old swamp."

With that fairy-tale ending in mind, he turns back to Sarah, who is touching upon the very same topics that had brought Lysander Scriberis Archemiste the Second to the Midnight Blue in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah Tenevere
    “I’m afraid all I can give you is bad news though. Mysterious, inexplicable disappearances, the death of our Second Owner two years ago, the upcoming shitshow that’s supposed to be a Holy Grail War… Do any of those pique your curiosity?”
    "All of them. Bad news piques the most curiosity." In response to Sarah's tapping his fingers drum along the counter in a measured rhythm. He plucks off the metal token proudly hanging from his chest pocket and passes it from finger to finger, clacking it against the wood, using it as a makeshift instrument to produce a background track to their conversation. "Spreads the furthest too. Even across the ocean."

So they arrived five years ago... meaning it can't be either of them.

"It's been a decade for me. So things were that rotten, huh..."

Had it gotten worse since then? Or had the city been like that the whole time? Has age brought new clarity? He can't be sure. At the very least, he hadn't known there were dueling Yakuza families here.

The silver keychain clacks to a stop against the counter. Lysander's meandering gaze refocuses. He contemplates taking a sip of water and decides against it. Better to keep himself thirsty.

"I've heard the rumours," he says. "Not of the Second Owner, though. Nor your extended family. Those disappearances-" Anyone could be taken. Usually the young. If anyone could be taken, then it could be a particular someone as well. A sacrifice to some sadistic magus, or perhaps something much worse. "-any pattern to them? Location?"

Tap, tap. The silver symbol glitters in the dim light, as do Lysander's inquisitive eyes.

If anyone knows, it'll be Sarah Tenevere. This place is known as a hub for magi, after all. If there is a hushed meeting or conversation going on in Kamigahara, if there is a rumour being created and distributed, it will be here, under her watchful eye.

"And - is Tatsu's place still open?"
    Last edited by Bloble; January 31st, 2022 at 07:54 PM.

Gläubig müssen die nicht sein, daran glauben müssen sie I3uster's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Reinhold Dietrich Presper
    Day 0 - Afternoon (2/3)
    Minami Ward - Tokisaka Shrine

The girl seemed more than eager to make up for her curt dismissal of Magdalena with the expected courtesies and apologies. Wonderful. Not that these kinds of pleasantries were usually enough to get me into a better mood, but after an intercontinental flight a nice hot glass of fresh tea served from a proper cup beats the finest liquors.

Apparently the presence of the old man still had not faded from this place. The old-fashioned style of the interior clashed with what little I could discern as her personal possessions. This was not yet hers, in the way most abodes of Second Owners were. Attuned to it she might be, but comfortable? Didn't seem like it.

“When my parents passed away, though I naturally became head, my aunt stepped in to serve in a regent-like manner as I consulted various tuners across the country to salvage what remained of my father’s portion of the crest.”
    "I see. Even if the circumstances are regretable, I'm glad to hear that you are supported then." Her duties had been neglected, and that wasn't something I could so easily ignore, but there were few circumstances as understandable as these. Transitions are quite difficult, and if she is to continue the legacy there was no reason to add to this any more than it was necessary.

Sadly, this current disturbance seemed like a necessity. I inhaled the steam off my still scalding tea in anticipation. "It smells delicious. One of Japan's treasures, you'll miss it when they ever summon you to London."

“Here’s her apartment number and address. Her name is Arashiya Kanade. Please give her an earful when you see her.”
    "Much obliged." I scrutinized her contact information for a few moments before setting it down next to my saucer. "It can't be too easy for her either, I'll be sure to give her my condolences personally." Now the real question was, who of those two was formally in charge of the spiritual lands? But no need to rush that question just yet. In time, it would be hers either way, so courtesy to her paid dividends, no matter if she was the right one to talk to for the current disturbances.

“My aunt, I believe, brokered the case of the troubles plaguing Kohijirigashima. Have you heard of a Holy Grail War?"
    The rest of her statement didn't register for me. It felt distant and faded, swallowed by the onset of what felt like a migraine. I clutched my temples as I set down my cup with a loud clang.

The ritual in itself was obscure with the association, save for three departments: There was modern magecraft theory, whose renegade lowblood idiots loved the adventurous nature of this vulgar pseudo-ritual. Then spiritual evocation, with a lot of legitimate interest in its mechanical workings that I couldn't begrudge them. And lastly of course us, policies, where it and its imitations were the source of continuous headaches.

Sure, the church took most of the brunt of the work, but in accords with them we were still in charge of cleaning up our own messes, so a lot of adjacent work as well as coordination of efforts with the church were ours to handle. And the church just loved being on the creditor side of things with us. There was no slower possible bureaucratic interaction imaginable.

But that wasn't the worst of it. After all I wasn't here in strictly official capacity. This kind of ritual pulled all kinds of people...and all kinds of attention. It could not, should not be conducted. I leaned forward, my eyes staring right into hers as if to pin her in place.

“I wish I could provide more assistance, but I’m under the impression that the leyline fluctuations will remain until the ritual finishes. But, if you need any other help in resolving this matter, do not hesitate to ask. It has been my inadequacy that has led the situation to move this far.
    “I’m greatly sorry for this inconvenience.”
    "Well my dear, I'll be frank here. This is more than an inconvenience. This isn't something that you should want happening here. The kind of toll things like these take on the land they are conducted on can't be underestimated."

I did not move a milimeter, but the increasing speed of my speech seemed to give her the impression that I was closing in on her.

"The only benefit for you would be if you would be cooperating with the conduction of the ritual, which you of course are not, as you would have otherwise asked me, right?" I return her hesitant smile. It should be just enough for her to understand that if there was anything I should know about in this regard, the time to confess was now.

"Then my question is this: what do you plan to do to interrupt its conduction? Or do you not have any plan at all?"
    [04:55] Lianru: i3uster is actuallly quite cute

Blog Entries
    Theresa Octavia

Lumine gives you a glare at your choice of words, but it seems that’s all the hostility she can muster. Instead, she lets you walk off, with a halfhearted wave, unwilling to give a reply. A few steps though, you glance back. Slumping against the back of the bench, Lumine turns her gaze to the same stretch of aquarium, clearly trying to distract herself from the reality of the situation.

She mutters something under her breath, but you can’t catch the words.

Getting shaved ice is a trivial affair. When you get back from your ten minute escapade, Lumine is properly sitting up now. As you walk over, her eyes light up, as if she thought you’d just walk off. Lumine grabs her icey treat and takes a bite. There’s a faint smile for a moment, but mostly, the two of you eat in silence.

“I thought… it would be nice if we did some fun things for once,” she eventually says, sounding both wistful and sheepish. It seems leaving her alone has put her in a rather melancholy mood. “Since… we don’t really get to enjoy these sorts of things.”

“Sometimes I think, this isn’t all bad,” she continues rambling. In her typical fashion, she doesn’t really seem to care whether or not you don’t want to listen. “Like, in all five thousandish years of human history, surely, they made something not shit, right?”

“And well… I think this world, the one we’re in right now, is pretty spiffy. It’s just…” The young girl trails off, as if trying to search for the right words. She absentmindedly pokes at her shaved ice as she does so, her spoon endlessly stirring multicolored slurry.

“It’s not made for us,” Lumine says with a sense of finality. It’s then she locks eyes with you, expectantly awaiting your response.

Tanabe Shin
    Higashi Ward - YaYa

“Kasuga’s the same little shit he’s always been,” Shinoda responds, though he seems rather pleased with how Kasuga’s turned out in the time since you went clean. “Plenty of people ain’t fighters anymore, but you gotta admire that spirit. Even if it’s fucking dumb.”

“You can’t really hold back a beast like that,” he continues. “But we all chip in and try to get him to see reason. Should pay him a visit some time. I’m sure he’s got some dumb story to tell you.”

Shinoda’s eyes narrow as you give your solemn warning to him. It’s evident that you don’t want anyone to pry into what you’re doing, and having already uselessly breached that topic, he decides to sigh and let things be. Trust is a two way street, and every man in the streets knows that sometimes you can’t put all your cards on the table.

“Alright. If there’s any shit I can’t handle, I’ll tell ya. But stay safe, you hear? Make it out of whatever shitshow you’re preparing for, alive.”

Hashimoto Arata

“A sabbatical, huh? I guess even people like you experience burnout once in a while,” Tsukiko says with a laugh, albeit slightly tinged with concern. It’s obvious that the image of your former, workaholic self is etched deep into her memories. The reality, however, is quite different, and you can see her eyes narrow in thought as she takes the out of character statement in.

“If you want to grab a bite… I guess the dining hall next to the science buildings works out. It’s not a big walk, so we can have a good time there. My treat for average university food, I guess.” Her casual attitude reasserts itself as she quickly comes up with a plan. Motioning for you to follow, she weaves her way through relics and people alike to guide you along the way.

It’s then, in the open, that she deigns to answer one of your other questions.

“As for greatest hits… if you like aquariums, there’s Aquamarine Kagamihara, the view on Starset Bridge at night is lovely, the Midnight Blue is a nice western bar,” she aimlessly rattles off as you two walk. She scrutinizes your expression with every other word, trying to see what works and what doesn’t. “Hmm… sometimes one of the local fishermen is down to take you along for the ride, if that floats your boat. I could probably scribble some places for dining later. I try not to eat out too much, so let me think about it.”

“If you’re feeling more historical, Minami ward has a dozen shrines to visit. In particular, Tokisaka Shrine is home to the city’s Second Owner. If you’re planning to stay here for a while, you might want to talk to her, the poor soul,” she says with a laugh. “Maybe take in the sights of the woods down south? People are a bit wary of hiking there, though. Haunted and all.”

The two of you eventually make it to the cafeteria, where, miraculously, the eyes of a trained student like Tsukiko can spot an empty table. It’s next to a glass pane wall, the midday autumn light shining through at full force. If you had a conversation here, practically nobody could overhear you over the din of students and utensils. Foodwise, she gets some curry and some yakisoba-pan, unconcerned about the calorie count, and proceeds to hold the fort until you got back from getting your share.

It’s when you come back that her easygoing smile falters.

“So what did you want to ask? About why I left, or why I’m here?” A sudden exhaustion leaks out of her voice, like she’d been holding it in for so long. She looks at you apprehensively, seeing what you’d throw out first.

Day 0 - Afternoon (2/3)

Hiori blinks, and then seems to steel herself under the intensity of your words. Of course, the slight frown on her lips betrays her true feelings about the matter, but it was evident from the start this conversation was not going to be a pleasant one. Taking a sip of her tea with her gloved hands, she takes a deep breath and exhales.

“For one, Tokyo seems to be doing fine and well,” she says, referring to your statement about the degradation of the land. “But, no, you’re right. It runs the risk of causing irreparable damage to the leylines.”

You get the feeling she wishes to add something else, but instead the young girl swallows her words and maintains her poise. Her behavior has stopped being apologetic though, instead transitioning to something far more guarded.

“While it’s true I’m not involved in the preparations, I believe that news of it has already been disseminated for quite a while. The kind of rumor that is there if you look,” Hiori says, in an exhausted manner. “There have been a lot more magi recently, so I believe the Grail War is why… The locals have been preparing to stay out of this mess.”

“As for interrupting the conduction of the ritual…” Her calm voice cracks, betraying her fear. Like she has thought about it, but… “Um… Participation is the only solution I can think of. I apologize, but Servants are supposed to be top of the line combat familiars, are they not? Magi apparently can’t even hold a candle to them. Even if I did something as barbaric as a headhunt for any participants, it’d be immorally leading someone to their doom.”

Perhaps if you push harder, you’d get this girl to crack completely. Her composure, while solid at first, is steadily crumbling as she struggles with the reality of the situation. Nevertheless, she continues.

“Before this was brought to my attention, I was preoccupied investigating a series of disappearances. Human bodies mangled beyond belief. Normally they’d be ignored, but, er, they’re primarily located around focal points in the city’s leylines. So, er, I thought a different ritual of sorts was going on, and ended up completely blindsided…” Hiori says, trying to calm herself down as she admits her mistake. “I don’t know if the two are related or an unfortunate coincidence.”

“That’s all I can tell you. My apologies if any of this was unsatisfactory.”

Blog Entries
    Cuan Yugou
    Sekigahara Headquarters - Nishi Ward
    Afternoon (Phase 2/3)

There are two factors which impinge upon this decision. One of them is strategic, so to speak. The other is not. A "good" restaurant, he has said. Perhaps not applying as much emphasis as needed. Obviously a tendentious procedure at the best of times. He regrets now not asking the dàlǎo when in the office; probably the old man has more perspective. As it is, he expects that the concierge can tell him nothing more than a brochure can. The hell with it. Nothing to be done now, nothing otherwise to do. Cuan Yugou has a few hours to kill - and not much to kill them with - before he is scheduled to reconvene, at the appointed location, for the appointed task. The "summoning" as it was described to him. Unusual word. He allows it to linger. It lingers, somewhere in the hollow of the skull. There is something more to it, he knows that - some significance which has yet to come to light. He knows. Or rather he does not fully know. He in some way resists the knowledge. But he suspects. There is some factor, immaterial, which subtends the present situation in its every aspect and constitutes its hidden and dimly discernible logic. Like a complex knot he cannot presently find the inclination to untie. At best to trace its outline.

He is in two minds about it, put it that way.

Ever since he stepped off the plane a few hours ago and realised that he was in Japan again, he has been playing host to a kind of sinking feeling, the irritable, acid-etched grimace of the soul, an ugly premonition or anxiety about something too vague to be verbally formulated but probably connected to his intuition that this "war", this game, this "grail" and all its paraphernalia is bullshit to an as-yet unqualified degree, there's a scam, there's a catch, there's a mark, there's a sucker, and every moment he spends looking around the table not seeing who the sucker is makes it all the more probable that the sucker is him. Cut and run, this instinct says, if you take professionalism's boot off its neck for a minute. Walk out of this building. Find a taxi. Go to the airport. Take the first flight available. Harbin, Hainan, Hanoi. Wherever. Just get the fuck out. Why, though? Ask that. Considered each in isolation, no aspect of this situation is threatening. But the "totality" of the situation, so to speak, presents a certain discreet warning-sign. But what is that? Death? (A wry smile's approximation.) Now wouldn't that be the day. No, death isn't it. Is it? Consider that thought, Cuan Yugou. Consider the idea that your life will end here, in this city, somewhere in this complex of manicured blacktop, neon signs, garish soaplands, the dockyard cranes, 5G antennae and air-conditioned offices. Die, here, in Shimane. Old Izumo. Something is faintly ridiculous about this proposition. Death is a possibility of course, ineliminable, but it remains abstract. He does not - he cannot really believe that he will die here. He finds his death quite incredible. Out of the question. But imagine dying in a game. Because of a game. Caught within the matrix of someone else's rules. A sucker. Now that - that would be sickening, distasteful, but again the thought is very abstract to him. If the death has to be his, has to be, unavoidably (he muses on this possibility) then he would like it to be because he has terminated the game, he has upended the board, he has broken the rules, he has found the "someone" whose rules they are and engaged them in war, proper war, deformalised, honest, face to face. The "house" will not win. The "sucker" will not lose. There will be no winning or losing by "default", according to "plan", for "rational" reasons. No bullshit. Intellect will not decide. Cunning will not decide. Force alone will decide. That would be ideal. But all this is daydreaming. The point remains. The sinking feeling remains.

But at the same time, another feeling. Murkier still than the former. Inchoate, half-formed, glimpsed like something rising slowly from the bottom of a deep pool. Because the truth is that he is here, Cuan Yugou, he is here in Japan, where he doesn't want to be, and this fact deserves explanation. It demands explanation. The sinking feeling, so to speak, is demanding it. Paranoia is what that demand is. Paranoia is a manner of thinking which comes about from one's acculturation to the world. It is the excessive persistence of the world in awareness. Excess of significance thrown over the paltry craphouse of the world. It demands that everything be explainable and, if possible, explained. But explanation, on this point, is not wholly forthcoming. Why is Cuan Yugou here? In principle this question has a simple answer: he is here because a Sekigahara bagman approaches him in Daegu last month and indicates roughly that the dàlǎo wants to give him one billion yen for a week of work. Too good to be true. He pushes for answers and gets some, not all. The task, highly dangerous. What the bagman describes (over an above-average dim sum luncheon) as <"Multifoliate offensive security in a complex adaptive environment."> And he keeps asking questions after that. Hits a stonewall. Details are promised on tentative acceptance of contract. So the dàlǎo likes to keep secrets. That's fine. Prudent. Good judgement. Many such cases. Then this exchange:
    <"Have you approached others? About this work.">
    <"This is time-limited. We can't afford to shop around.">
    <"You didn't, answer my question.">
    <"My employer tasked me to approach you specifically.">
    <"Me specifically.">
    <"That is correct.">
    <"Why is that?">
    <"We need a specialist.">
    <"Everyone does. So there are many. Me specifically?">
    <"If you have to ask, Mr. Cuan-"> (Slightly mispronounced, in the manner of non-native speakers. It should not sound like "swan".) <"-the answer cannot be spoken aloud.">
    Cannot be spoken aloud. Seems an odd phrase at the time, and it still does. It became clear that immaterial things were implicated. He became confident that that was the case. When he finally did get to Japan and meet Sekigahara and get his scent and figure out the "kinship" they shared it became obvious. Many layers of secrecy had to be peeled away. Immaterial things have to be hidden under a vast, cumbersome encrustation of matter. Of the world. He knows that. They have to be buried under it. That's how it is. It's been that way elsewhere, beforehand; it is that way now, and not another way. Immaterial. Things that cannot be spoken aloud. This "war", this game, is not one of those things - or rather it is, but it's so deeply buried under bullshit and matter and the world that whatever's immaterial to it must be rather laboriously extracted if at all. If it's not to be disappointing. He does not want - Cuan Yugou is realising this, present tense, present time - he does not want to be disappointed.

Disappointed? (Think about that for a moment.)

Why are you here, Cuan Yugou? Because he wants to be. Correct. Why do you want to be? For the money. Correct. But only correct. Correctness that goes only so far as being correct. For the money, naturally. But there's money elsewhere. Why do you want this money? Because there's a fuckload of it and it can be gotten fast. But there are other fuckloads. Other cities. Other rooms. Correct. So why are you here?

Because.

Because?

Because (this cannot be put into words.) Because (it cannot be spoken aloud.) It can be addressed only negatively. Because - let's say - the alternative, to being here, which you don't want, is something else, that you want even less. Correct. (But only correct.)

But that's enough. That's enough for now. The thought should not be pursued any further at this time. He would prefer at this moment to remain opaque to himself, a hasty paranoid sketch of a personality. He leaves it alone. Think about it later. If at all. For the time being - the matter at hand - a good restaurant. Because he's hungry, that's reason enough; also because he woke up in Korea this morning and managed only a light breakfast before he had to make for the airport; because the flight made him ill, as they usually do, and he ended up spending most of it in the bathroom; because Japanese customs took their sweet fucking time verifying that his fake passport was legitimate; and most of all because he's getting that itch, the tremor in time with his heartbeat at the periphery of vision, the bead of sweat on his brow despite the November weather, the clench of the jaw and the grind of the teeth. His every footstep hits like a hammerblow. He is very heavy all of a sudden. He needs to maintain. Cuan Yugou needs to subdue himself. Cool and poised. Remain it. He has a job to do, he reminds himself of that. He needs a good restaurant, good portions, fire, water, acid, fat, and salt. The essential, natural things. Else he will be breaking this concierge's skull over her desk and drinking blood off the granite. The dàlǎo would understand, no doubt, but he wouldn't appreciate. He needs a good restaurant. But what is a good restaurant? The concierge - who is still talking, incidentally - gives her appraisal.

The Midnight Blue, a jazz bar for the international crowd, with mostly American sensibilities and an aggressive anti-smoking policy. A very casual, if calming atmosphere, leading it to be a frequent hangout for most white-collar workers.
    <"Not my tempo."> (Mutters under his breath.) The way the concierge describes it - some forced quality of her pronunciation, particularly the elongated 'taa' sound in 'intaanashonaru' (she makes a face when she says it, perhaps without meaning to) - makes it sound like a tourist trap. Might be able to snag a few grams there if the clientele are the right "kind" of white-collar. Some other time. If at all.

Âme, the typical Michelin star French cuisine high end restaurant, catering to those who want more isolated venues, located on the top floor of one of the many skyscrapers dotting Nishi ward. The typical fine-dining experience—carefully measured proportions, the utmost quality in ingredients, the reservation list that enough money can stiff, the works.
    It's too late in the day. French food he can stomach only for breakfast. He finds the dinner menus in these places altogether too cerebral, too intellectualised, too "civilised" in a word. Exceptions he makes only for some of the fusion cuisines you find in the former Indochine, but this is not there. Notwithstanding, the location merits attention. Top of a skyscraper. Restricted avenues of entry and exit. Easier to control the space. Could be worth considering for arranging meetings on "neutral" ground with the other parties. Could be.

Kikanbou, “the ogre’s iron club,” specializing in spicy miso ramen with, as one could guess, an oni theme. Often the recourse for daredevils or those who have lost a bet, the place is punctuated by the pained gasps of the weak and the smug grins of those with spice tolerance.
    Noodles sound good and frequently are. Hard to fuck up. Though they do try. Excessive emphasis on spice in the advertising material is often a bad sign - it suggests that they're trying to cover up a lack of technique or lower-quality ingredients by overloading with málà. That's from experience in the south of China, mainly. This is Japan. Consider that. The regulatory environment for restaurants is probably better. Less of a problem. To be considered.

yakiniku sea, a yakiniku place not too far from your hotel that also serves fresh seafood. With private rooms and a wide variety of alcoholic selections, the place has a varied air, capable of hosting exuberant celebrations and more private business affairs.
    Figures that a shipping hub would have a seafood penchant. Yakiniku in any case is agreeable; he has no information on the modal beef quality in Shimane, but variations on this style of dining can be found across the continent and they're usually at least average. That it's close to the hotel is also agreeable. In fact he remembers that he saw on checkin - Sekigahara has spared no expense, got a very nice suite uptown - that this is one of the places integrated with the hotel's room service. You can order right from their kitchen without going through a delivery service. That's worthwhile. Remember, also, a picture from the advertising material on the coffee table in the room - chargrilled fresh ayu on skewers. Agreeable. Very much so. From appearances alone this is the best of the lot, but, heartbreakingly, he'll have to pass. Why? There are, as stated, two factors which impinge upon this decision. One is mood. Mood is a very strongly determining factor. The wrong mood will ruin any meal, even the best. Sometimes you're just too nausea-stricken to even think of eating, however much you want to. This is not one of those times. But all the same. The other factor is strategic, or rather strategy itself. Already one must be thinking "strategically." Long accustoming to the patterns of the world has led Cuan Yugou to this conclusion. It is not altogether unlikely that even now, already, before the "summoning" tonight - it is not unlikely that there will already be people out for his blood. It is possible, conceivable. One of the other parties perhaps. Otherwise the dàlǎo's kids. They will not be idiots, those kids. The other parties likewise. They will be "rational" and "strategic" in their own way. They have interests and will pursue those interests. "Rationally." The old man will have tried to keep the presence of his new "security consultant" from the mainland - laughable description, but only half a lie - secret from the vile offspring and from others, and he will have failed. Inevitably. Thinking ahead like this is such a laborious business but it has to be done, has to be. It doesn't come naturally to him but he's learned to hack his way through it. He's learned how these people think. He's learned how to think that way. Painful effort it was but he has learned. Indeed: Cuan Yugou fully expects that someone will try to put a bullet in him, or worse, while he's dining. And that - is a fucking pain, honestly. There will have to be a fight, of course, a tiresome expenditure which he's already gloomily anticipating, and he'll crush them one way or another, but the restaurant will be wrecked in the process, almost certainly, and that will be a shame if it turns out to be worth his time. That will be very unfortunate if it happens. He sighs. He expels air through the gaps in his teeth. He thanks the concierge for her information, in Mandarin on instinct and then again in Japanese. He turns on a heel and trudges out of the lobby. The afternoon breeze, densely meshed with the smells and sounds of the city, settles over him like a layer of wet cement. He closes his eyes. He opens them again. He checks his coat pocket and finds the phone - the phone Sekigahara's bagman issued him for making contact, also no doubt for keeping tabs on a valuable asset. Pulls up Google Maps. After a few irritable attempts he manages to type "Kikanbou Ramen-ya."

<"That close?">

He looks around, he takes in the afternoon. A canyon of office buildings stretches out on either side; a clean road surface fills the median. Trees, ornamental. Pedestrians scroll past. A child, across the road, stares at the six-foot quarterback type with a face full of scar tissue standing like an idiot on the pavement outside the Sekigahara Group. He sighs again. Scratches the lingering stubble on top of his head. Can he be bothered to get a taxi? No. No, he cannot.

<"Fuck it.">

Phone back in the pocket. He cracks the joint in one wrist, then the other. And he begins to walk.

Sekigahara Headquarters - Nishi Ward --> Nishi Ward (Street Level) en route to Kikanbou Ramen-ya
    Last edited by Dullahan; January 27th, 2022 at 11:12 AM.
    かん
    ぎゅう
    じゅう
    とう

Expresses the exceeding size of one's library.
    Books are extremely many, loaded on an oxcart the ox will sweat.
    At home piled to the ridgepole of the house, from this meaning.
    Read out as 「Ushi ni ase shi, munagi ni mitsu.」
    Source: 柳宗元「其為書,處則充棟宇,出則汗牛馬。」— Tang Dynasty

アカシャの蛇 The Serpent of Akasha RacingeR's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Sanda Rakuin

Oh my, oh my. How troublesome.

Rakuin swept his hands by his donation basket, and the ill-gotten gains within disappeared in the blink of an eye.

He never was good at dealing with cops. It was not a strength of his, mostly because the boys in blue tended to be a rather unpredictable bunch. The more straightlaced ones were easily to manipulate, and the bullies in uniform were even easier to deal with, at least.

The crowd, after all, was a fine weapon. Any cop would be conscious of the many stares on their person in this situation. No wonder this particular exemplar is already fed-up with the situation.

However, he also seemed to be a lot angrier and volatile because of that, rather than calming down or becoming timid. That was what made this so troublesome.

If he tried to play the crowd against this guy… it had a chance of working, but the chances of it worsening the situation and having bad results for him were much higher. The monk considered his options quickly.

Intimidation… nah, this guy was too pissed off, so if anything, trying to imply how easily he could crush him like a can would just galvanize him into calling for reinforcements and then violence, which was not ideal. At least he could count on his stature and sculpted physique to be a passive deterrent without making unnecessary gestures to show it off.

He could escape easily enough, but this guy looked like the type that’d throw a tantrum and submit a warrant for his arrest. It was a real problem that his looks were so uniquely recognizable in this country in general. Not worth it, especially given the delicate nature of his business in this city.

So, the only realistic option left is…

“My good sir, I do not understand. I am merely a poor monk, begging to survive, and guiding lost lambs for a living. If I caused offense to anyone by doing so, I can only apologize.” He said, shaking his head sadly. “If you wish for me to cease my activities, then very well. I won’t do it again in this city. I lacked awareness of being a bother, or that I was doing anything illegal, and I don’t wish to trouble you or the good inhabitants of this city.” He said assuring and despondent, still playing his act before the multitude.

The real bitch of it is that he meant it. It was his full intention to stop begging after today. Hell, after this moment. Karma had a good sense of humor.

“If you must insist that I accompany you, then I’ll do so gladly.” He said, because the better of the options was simply to accompany the police back to the station. As a general rule the cops wouldn’t confiscate his stuff, most of the times would leave even his gains for the day untouched, as the amount was not really all that much by itself. Furthermore, if he cooperated, they’d have little to no reason to arrest him. And of course, even if they did so, he’d spend the night there at most and be done with it.

Though it’d be better if he could avoid the whole mess in the first place.

quotes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1984 View Post
    Besides, I don't see what's so terrible about looting anyway. It's only property, they're not actually harming anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by lantzblades View Post
    when I say hero I don't mean hero in the spirit sense. I mean a morally grounded, good natured person who doesn't slaughter innocent people. No such person exists in the Nasuverse.
    [00:12] <~Katie> i can't defy my origin
    [00:12] <~Katie> of gay memes

[16:15] <~Katie> lesbians has always been my gimmick and i will exploit it to the fullest

[22:56] <@Sei> airen is pegging hero this time
    [22:56] <@Sei> for once airen isn't the uke
    [22:56] <@Kuroyuki> I thought Air was the Woman in the Relationship?
    [22:56] <@Airen> Yeah I kinda thought I was the girl too!

Tanabe Shin
    Higashi Ward - YaYa

That's a hard promise to keep. Not because he doesn't plan on living, but he just doesn't know how this shitshow is going to pan out. There's too much he still doesn't know to say for certain...

"...Yeah. Will do. I'll catch up with you, and everyone else, when all of this is behind me. You, Kasuga, Fujita, all of ya." The words leave his mouth, knowing he's just setting up another goal he'll need to climb a mountain to accomplish. No regrets if he can't cross the finish line, but Shin knows he'd probably hurt less if he kept quiet and left. There is some solace in having something to chase after, though. "You'll be the first one I call up, alright? Take care."

Shin turns to leave, rubbing the back of his neck as he approaches the door, his eyes wandering around the store again as he casually takes his time to leave. So much of the food here seems a bit overpriced, the supposed cost of convenience, but he hesitates when he spots something in a fridge at the end of one of the rows. He groans, and rather quickly snatches the tallest beer can from it before heading back to Shinoda, fidgeting in his pockets as he holds the bag and beer in one hand.

As soon as he's back, Shin tosses ¥600 onto the counter, "Almost forgot to grab a beer. It's that time of month again, ya know?" So many things happening lately, he nearly forgot this was the last thing he needed for that monthly ritual. Still another day away, but he's got everything else. The same few things he's grabbed month after month for the past two years. It's lucky, really, that YaYa's has Tanabe's favorite beer.

"Here's hoping you can buy me a beer next time we meet up. See ya." Shin trudges to the door this time, without letting himself meander, dropping the can into the black bag, wrapping the handles back around his wrist. There's still one more place he needs to go for tonight, one more errand.

Made for good timing,
    Shin thinks to himself, eying someone else heading in as he exits. He pulls a pack of smokes out from his coat pocket, and starts chewing on a cigarette without lighting it. His car's parked a few blocks away, best to keep his head down until he gets to it...
    The Perma-Lurker

Theresa Octavia

Theresa frowned.

That wasn’t because she disliked Lumine, contrary to what her prior thoughts might have suggested. If anything, she liked the girl quite a lot- she thought they were kindred spirits of a kind, even if their personalities were rather… different.

No.

The reason she was displeased was because Lumine was too much like her. Those words, those thoughts-

- they struck a little too close to home.

And that hurt.

“You’re absolutely right.”

Voicing her agreement out loud, Theresa simply stared at her shaved ice. The container was near empty now- a testament to how much she had enjoyed the treat.

“This world is neat. Things like the hotel we just stayed in, the bus that took us halfway across the city, this aquarium with exhibits from all over the world, or even the shaved ice we ate just now, are all nice things you couldn’t hope to find in the natural world. If people have been trying for over five thousandish years to make something nice, then I’d say that was effort well spent. They’ve done a good job, making all of this possible.”

This wasn’t a topic that she liked to talk about- but since Lumine had spoken openly about how she felt, then it was only her turn to do the same. Scooping out the last bits of her shaved ice into her mouth, she continued.

“And speaking more personally, this was fun. Having fun in the city, hanging out with friends, enjoying some random treats and sights… these were all things I could have only dreamed of, when I was younger. I’m sure my younger self would have been ecstatic, enjoying a day like today.”

Her frown deepened.

“But it’s not for us.”

That was something her younger self probably would not have understood. That in this world, there were things that were out of reach no matter how much you wanted it- personally, Theresa thought understanding that fact was what made a child into an adult.

“I don’t think what we’re doing is strange, if that’s what you’re wondering.” She had no idea if Lumine actually wanted to know how Theresa felt, or if she was just musing out loud- but either way, Theresa felt obliged to share.

“Those five thousand years of trial and error that led to this civilization isn’t some kind of magical progress bar they advanced over time. People tried out different things, and kept what they found convenient while throwing away what didn’t work for them personally. Whether that’s houses, cars, other physical belongings, careers, or even friends, that’s just how life works.”

Making sure the container was absolutely spotless, she continued.

“It just so happens that our choices are a little narrower than most, so it’s not as simple as a question of whether or not we like this city, or human civilization as a whole.”

She tossed the now empty shaved ice into the recycling bin.

“It’s a question of whether or not we want to be the ones thrown away, or the ones doing the throwing away.”

Blog Entries
    Day 0 - Afternoon (2/3)

My expression turned into an unrestrained frown. I did try my best to relax my eyes to look as compassionate as possible to that girl. It wasn't like I couldn't empathize with six different breaths down my neck. But the situation was as it was, and what it was was close to catastrophical.

So I did my best to play over it by drinking from my cup, the steam once again fogging my glasses. In the moment it was hard to pay the respect to this specialty that it so dearly deserved, compared to its perfumed abominable English cousins. It was merely a distraction, but it hopefully bought me enough time for her to feel less like she was interrogated by a particularly pushy older relative.

In the end, in her small cosmos, the incovenience this caused me did not really matter. I was merely leasing land from her, and while her father of course knew that I could be very benificial to him, to her that only was a story.

“But, no, you’re right. It runs the risk of causing irreparable damage to the leylines.”
    "More than that, my dear. Some of these spots become almost tourist attractions to the rabble of the Tower. There is reputational damage that, while it seems insignifcant compared to scarring your ancestral lands, will stick to it for quite some time..."

A worst case scenario. A pilgrimage site for the Saint of the Holy Grail, patron of caving another man's skull in to compensate for the deficiencies in your blood and character. Of course, I had a lot to lose here but it wasn't like I wanted to hoodwink her into dealing with this. If this would happen on my land, I'd be outraged. It kind of did as a matter of fact, and I kind of was.

Well, not kind of. As the implications of this scenario kept swirling as disorderly thoughts through my head, my grip on the poor cup increased in tightness. Thankfully it lacked a handle for me to snap.

“While it’s true I’m not involved in the preparations, I believe that news of it has already been disseminated for quite a while. The kind of rumor that is there if you look. There have been a lot more magi recently, so I believe the Grail War is why… The locals have been preparing to stay out of this mess.”
    "I explicitly try to not to hear about these kinds of things. I must be honest with you, such a ritual being conducted in Japan is as likely to reach my ears as a mall in Germany opening is to you. These are not usually considered significant events. If you by chance catch wind of anything bringing...undue attention to this place, I'd be very fortunate if you would contact me immediately next time."

I take another sip.

"Of course disregarding this time, as you were clearly occupied by quite a lot of things..." As much as I tried, a certain sharpness betrayed my true thoughts. I just...needed an out here. And that would come at quite a price. "Are you familiar with anybody of the Tower who was shown up so far? I will conduct a separate background check but it would save my contacts some time."

“As for interrupting the conduction of the ritual…Participation is the only solution I can think of. I apologize, but Servants are supposed to be top of the line combat familiars, are they not? Magi apparently can’t even hold a candle to them. Even if I did something as barbaric as a headhunt for any participants, it’d be immorally leading someone to their doom.”
    That won't do.

I take out a small black leather wrapped phonebook. As she continues to tell me her story, I think about each and every name in here that could help me with this quandry. This was worth at least ten calls, some of them commanding, others groveling. A lot of groveling actually, thinking about it.

How demeaning. In many ways a setback even. There were calculations to be made. Cost...not in something as crude as money, but opportunities, resources, favors and the abilities to make these calls themselves. Cutting me out. Ceding power. Ascending.

This backwater island might just shift the balance of power in the Tower itself. Not significantly of course, but noticeably. All because I had to move on this ridiculously constrained timeframe. As if to disturb my thoughts the girl continued talking. I pulled a smaller, empty note from the book.

“Before this was brought to my attention, I was preoccupied investigating a series of disappearances. Human bodies mangled beyond belief. Normally they’d be ignored, but, er, they’re primarily located around focal points in the city’s leylines. So, er, I thought a different ritual of sorts was going on, and ended up completely blindsided…I don’t know if the two are related or an unfortunate coincidence.”

“That’s all I can tell you. My apologies if any of this was unsatisfactory.”
    "Oh, you should get used to that. I heard of these rituals killing anything from lower tens to the higher hundreds of civillians. They cleave mountains in two and raze entire blocks." My pen traced a number that i copied on the note as I kept talking in complete deadpan. It felt like I was absent mindedly conversing with my child as I compiled a shopping list.

I wrote a name on it, in big blocky letters. Who knows how good she is with deciphering western handwriting.

As if to fill the dead air I started rambling to myself. It helped my concentration, as paradox as it sounded. Just recounting things, small talk, while my actual attention was elsewhere.

Kolar for the demolition, restoration for Albright and a bunch of his goons...better try to get a flat offer in there...at least Kolar's cheap...who is even looking for apprenticeships right now...

"There usually are preliminary slaughters to compensate for faults in ones own ability. A microcosm of the ritual as a whole. As you know the human body is a fascinating repository of potential catalysts, ingredients, materials and energies...quite interesting really. Are you interested in the department of spiritual evocation perhaps? They love dealing with this stuff...as do parts of Zoology, Curses, Creation...hell, I've seen Mineralogists swear by trace elements extracted from bone and blood."

...maybe I'll need someone for loose ends...nobody to close to the Tower...could fly Reyes in, not too far from here to Manila...

"Maribel Aguillard-Beyer, brilliant lecturer, talented spiritual surgeon and famous for her sense of humor once said that the magically inept human is the adept magus' cow. Useable from top to bottom, if one has the stomach. And well, even if one usually doesn't, ones back against the wall in a game of life and death does wonders for retention of bowel contents in the face of such things."

Alright, that should do it.

"That should make clear the urgency of our operation here, and as such, I have proposal."

I lock eyes with her again. Finally having arranged my notes.

"There is no sugarcoating this. Interruption is most easily managed by severely impacting the function of your leylines. There has not been a way to do this consistently without more...topographically intense methods, and even those have their own kinks to work out considering the sheer volume of mana we are talking about. This isn't breaking a circuit after all. But...it is not impossible."

I point to the first name.

"This man, new addition to the tower but he caught my eye. Third generation if you can believe it, Slovak. Can build a drainage type mana bomb that causes damage to your leylines in the process of charging, which contrary to the more crude charge-types that most can assemble should be able to go off in a drastically reduced timeframe. I think au naturel leyline recovery to 70-80% of previous capacity should be forseeable in 100-150 years, with partial recovery to the point of usability in 50."

The second.

"However, this timeframe might not be acceptable to you. And I understand. This is why we will have specialists in Mineralogy help you with active restoration methods. Not easily taught, and thus not exactly convenient to access, but in the realm of possibility...there is a degree of care we have to apply here as too industrious restoration might cause reactivation of the foundations for whatever caused this, but it isn't something a bit of surveying can't solve. We should be able to cut restoration time in half, in a best case scenario."

I pause for a second. Now comes the hard part of this sell...telling her we aren't in the same boat.

"A further goal of surveying should be severing and protecting any connections to the island. Either way I expect a drop off in quantity even for the mana flows there...but it should be managable if we can properly isolate it. If they can't set the boundaries themselves I am sure to find someone."

Next name.

"I am not asking you to do this for free. I will be giving my utmost to guarantee you, of your choice, an apprenticeship. And that means either position, apprentice or master. As you know, the latter can often cause greater influence than the former...as such I wouldn't be able to guarantee you someone blue blooded per se if you choose this variant. My recommendation would be Albrecht here..."

I knock on his name with my pen.

"I promise you, I will get you the best of them I possibly can, as compensation for the temporary hit you might suffer here..." I stare deeply into her eyes once more. "Towers are quite hard to climb by yourself, young lady. This is a catastrophe, but it might also be your only chance to ascend. As a little bonus, I'd throw in one requisition from one of the departments up to Pride-grade, excluding the Lore Department of course."

I point to the last name.

"Before I forget. There might be some witnesses here that would render these measures moot. Miss Reyes here would be but one contact that could help in rectifying that particular issue."

For the first time in a while I soften my voice.

"I realize this is hard to agree to, but I truly believe it to be for the best, for both of us. All I need is...two weeks of preparation. Three in a pinch. And then we can leave this silly ritual behind us."

As if to punctuate my proposal, my cup hit the table like a gavel.
    Last edited by I3uster; January 31st, 2022 at 08:00 PM.

So Many Ideas, So Little Time SleepMode's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Zhang Canyuan
    Day 0 - Afternoon (2/3)

What was intended to be a laugh from Canyuan left as a sigh. The air in the meeting room became strained, a stale and stifling pressure of expectation focused on the man himself.

For Heaven’s sake, you’re really in it now…

His worst fears confirmed: before him was an incredible opportunity, dangled above compliance towards greatest treachery. To become a saboteur paving the way towards succession. All of a sudden, the one-to-one meeting made a painful amount of sense.

Strung along like a rat with lure, only to be caught as plaything.

Really, it’s ultimately on himself for not keeping tabs on Sekigahara affairs; with Mitsurugi’s words and hindsight at hand, the internal tension should have been apparent. Should have stayed for those after-job drinks — insights from loose lips would certainly made up for the company.

Then again, it makes a bumpkin like him the perfect wrench to foil the Old Man’s goal. Many would first assume sabotage was best left to trusted hands, not a distant element with seemingly neither stake nor attachment towards their quarrels. Someone not enticed by the material, yet eager enough to wager their life on this so-called “War.”

Adding to the practicality was a “statement” to the Old Man. Seeing everything he’s built upended by a minute, rogue element; his legacy no longer lorded over by him alone. How sensible, how tidy, how perfectly poetic.

Pfeh. Heaven truly has a wicked sense of humor, to have him placed here, amidst these circumstances, before this fool’s opportunity. Had the matters been different, Canyuan would have refused even the mere implications of sabotage — thoughts of undermining another’s life work elicits a bubbling wave of revulsion.

However, these have proven to be extraordinary matters; and dare he say, one where he has ample reasons to push ahead. It is as they say…

— - Another rattle.

…Every crisis is an opportunity riding upon dangerous winds. And none shone brighter amidst this approaching storm.

With an answer at hand, Canyuan opened his eyes.

“Heheheh~ Right you are, Mitsurugi-san, right you are.” Raising his hands in half-hearted applause, the operative sat upright for the first time. “Placing the fate of an entire plot onto the hands of some vagrant, then leaving them to their own devices? Hell of a joke if I’ve ever heard one!”

“If such a possibility came to pass, I can’t imagine it’d be appreciated if another one of the company goons was participating. So rather some agent, best have your lil’ saboteur play some desperate vagrant, yeah? With the perfect alibi, the bosses up high would be distanced from such a scheme.”

Perhaaaps by some stroke of luck, this saboteur found himself with the necessary requirements to join this little melee. And in doing so, anything goes; the Old Man’s rep unfortunately ended by his hand or another’s. Or they survive, as the saboteur met his end much too early. Maybe he defects to the Old Man midway, who can say.”

Canyuan shrugged, shaking his head a couple more times than normal. Puncturing the false uncertainty with appropriate exaggeration.

“Regardless of the what-ifs, it doesn't matter if he lives or dies after, he’ll be kept quiet anyhow – one way or another, yeah?”

Mitsurugi’s right. Joining this war is to wager one’s life. Approaching this from a leveled lens, there’s no guaranteeing his survival after the War if foul play is (likely) uncovered. Canyuan would find himself fleeing the Sekigahara’s wrath, at best; no doubt he will play the scapegoat if caught, the true culprits watching from above.

— - It rattles again, as if shivering.

The shrugging gesture shifting to a mock-surrender, Canyuan fixed his half-bemused stare to meet Mitsurugi’s. The man pushed such ponderings aside, hardly giving it much thought. After all…

His own survival meant little before this- his greatest undertaking.

“Let’s see where this joke takes us, then; down to its bloodied punchline.”

Last edited by SleepMode; February 2nd, 2022 at 01:00 PM.
    The Act of dozing off in the afternoon is a luxury indeed.
    Coffee would be nice, though.

[Collection of my Servant Sheets]
    Now Revamped!

Blog Entries
    Asakami Ito

Se-hun merely nods. He has no words to refute you, nor any ground to say otherwise. Instead, he merely accepts your explanation and wordlessly takes you to Tokisaka Shrine. The silver car stops by the streetside to let you out. The streets around are peacefully quiet, and the crisp autumn air is refreshing.

The young man gives you a small wave before he drives off, and as the smell of gasoline passes your nose, you are finally left alone. Well, not quite. From the corner of your eye you spot a shrine maiden tending to the grounds, having looked up from sweeping to get a better glance at what was going on. Her brief curiosity sated, she turns to go back to the tedious task of cleaning, but you can’t help but feel as if you’re still being watched…

"Your sister's a magus. That's what she decided on, right?"
    “I suppose that’s true,” Kasumi says wistfully, though now that the seed of doubt has been planted, the worry is evident in the way she bites her lip. “Gotta pray for the best.”

“Still, ten years? A lot changes in a city like this—people cycling in and out like their lives depend on it.” Kasumi warns, as if to temper your expectations. Reality is ugly, after all, and not all hopes and dreams come true.

"All of them. Bad news piques the most curiosity."
    “Let’s start with the disappearances first. They’re around focal points for the city’s leylines, which are generally located near spots of nature. Various parks around town, the coastline, the woods down south, that kind of deal. Our city’s got a cleaner from the Association and he’s been working his ass off to mitigate the damage, but people have reported the bodies that are found,” Sarah says, rattling off details with an unenthused tone. She frustratedly taps the table off-rhythm, as if lamenting her inability to do anything about it. “Those, though—a magi would be clean about that kind of thing, but these are some seriously mangled bodies, like a bear got them. But with a big ritual coming up, that doesn’t seem too likely.”

“As for the Second Owner thing, that also ties into the Holy Grail War stuff. Two years ago Arashiya Hayate and his wife died in a car accident, leaving their daughter—she’s around your age—to take his mantle. But Hiori is pretty young, so her aunt, Kanade, offered to take up the managerial duties of being Second Owner, because Hiori needed to find a tuner to salvage what remained of her father’s portion of the crest.”

“The Arashiya family is one of those old lineages of Japan, founded well before the Association decided to sink its claws into everything. So they’re prone to doing things their own way. So when Hiori left for a few months to get a good Japanese tuner specifically, I guess that’s when Kanade started doing whatever the hell she wanted. And that poor girl thought everything was fine…”

“The Holy Grail War stuff, news has been out for a few months now? Nobody knows the full details, but Kanade brokered a deal with an Einzbern, one of the founders, and they’re doing the ritual here instead of Tokyo. The magi community here were warned to stay out for our own safety, and that was that.” Sarah sighs, like the sheer thought was a painful ordeal. “Kanade probably leaked all the info we do know to drum up participation—plenty of people have come around asking about it—but the locals have adopted a sit and wait approach. We moved to Kagamihara to escape bullshit, not participate.”

“I can’t really speculate on why it’s being held here, though. Maybe ‘cause the land’s as good as Tokyo with much less people? God knows what goes in Kanade’s head. We don’t really talk—she just points people my way sometimes, is all.” The bartender simply shrugs. “Hard to deal with those people who act all ‘holier-than-thou.’ Much different than her brother. Hayate was a pretty relaxed person, but maybe that’s just the results of such a severe age gap…”

"And - is Tatsu's place still open?"
    “Yeah,” Kasumi pipes up, having practically tuned out the rest of the conversation. “He closes up shop earlier now, but that’s ‘cause the years are taking their toll. What’d he do for you that left such a lasting impression?”

Day 0 - Afternoon (2/3)

Hiori narrows her eyes as you rattle off names, mention proposals, plans to fix the situation. At first, it’s as if she’s overwhelmed, but the more you mutter the more you realize that expression is the girl’s unfortunate obstinance. Her mouth opens slightly, as if to interject, but only when you are finally finished does she finally put her thoughts into words.

“Mr. Presper. Let me make something clear.”

Her mouth curves, as if she’s about to scowl, but the girl keeps such unsightly emotions within herself. Instead, the girl’s serious tone contains a slight hint of admonishment, like a schoolteacher gently reminding a child why they are wrong.

“The Association calls us Second Owners because it is their closest equivalent to our task. We are not a part of it, merely allies. As caretakers of the land, the provisions for your private resort is a gift from us, not your right.” Her smile seems mocking now, as if all the previous politeness was just pretense for her to stab you in the back. Any semblance of her meekness is long gone, replaced by some self-assured sense of purpose. “As for a position, I could care less. As a member of one of the Eight Families, I have no interest in abandoning custom and tradition.”

“More importantly, even if I gave you two weeks, it’s already too late.” Her disrespectful tone disappears, replaced by lamentful delivery of the truth.

“People have already summoned their Servants.”

Sanda Rakuin

“If you must insist that I accompany you, then I’ll do so gladly.”
    “Rather relaxed about it, huh?” The officer cocks his head at your compliance, but with a resigned sigh, decides to let it be. Stuffing his hands in his pockets, he jerks his head in the direction he came from, telling you to follow. He leads you away from the prying eyes and ears of the crowd, stopping next to a worn-down looking police car.

“Don’t get me wrong. I’m not here to give you a hard time,” he says, suddenly flipping into ‘good cop’ mode. “But there’ve been a string of disappearances around the city, and a beggar like you shows up in the middle of all that, causing a ruckus. Someone’s bound to get a little on edge over that.”

“How about we make a little deal,” the officer says, a sly grin on his face, like he’s had the idea of the century. “We have a short chat at the station, and I let you go in about an hour, little fuss. But in exchange for running your scheme or whatever it is, you look out for any suspicious people. Other than yourself.”

He holds out a hand, as if for you to shake, but then you realize the other is holding onto a pair of handcuffs.

“Deal?”

Blog Entries
    Asakami Ito

Ito ignored the shrine maiden sweeping the Tokisaka Shrine grounds. He had seen her before; she had undoubtedly seen him before. He lived in the area, making him a common sight. Likewise, she too was a regular sight in his day-to-day routine. Though he took note of everyone that he saw on his outings, he didn’t expect the same from others. But he knew that he stood out due to the weapon he carried with him, one which he was rarely seen without.

The Minami Ward had rumors of an “unsociable samurai” that could be spotted at certain hours of the day. Her curious glance at him was part of the routine. If ever he arrived by car and she was tending to the shrine’s grounds, she gave him that same brief glance.

But the routine was off. Something else was watching him. It wasn’t the curious eyes of the Minami Ward checking out the local urban legend. Something with intent had Ito in its sight.

He couldn’t pinpoint it, so he ignored it.

Being watched was normal. There was too great a list of parties that would have reason to keep tabs on him. Ito had long since grown accustomed to being watched in this city. Being watched wouldn't be enough to stop him.

A neatly tied indigo ramie sack hung from his left hand. The relic inside pressed against the cloth, its sharper protruding edges giving the package a peculiar shape. It was likely what had drawn the unknown observing him from the shadows.

The package swayed lightly as he followed the sidewalk, walking past the shrine, to the konbini that along with the apartment complex sandwiched the old shrine and choked away its splendor. Ito slipped a coin into one of the three vending machines lined up at the storefront, pressed a button, and after a small clang, he took the bottle of green tea with his free hand.

Then, as always, he set off toward home.

With the click of an iron lock Ito stepped into his home.

With his shoes discarded at the entrance Ito stepped through his home in a pair of grey slippers. He stopped for a moment to deposit his drink in the fridge, which itself was stocked with nothing except identical bottles of green tea. Soon there would be no space for anymore additions and he would have to inevitably drink some, but until then he could carry on with this routine.

One of the wooden floorboards creaked lightly under his feet, and Ito paused to stare down at it with an exasperated sigh. Just two weeks ago he had done work on the flooring in the dining room. That was the problem with these old machiya, for how beautiful they were that very same beauty belied an endless list of costly complications in the upkeep. Sure enough should he take care of the kitchen, the walls in another room will need work, then the roof, then another segment of the floor.

But at least it was something to occupy him, even if it too formed a routine from which he couldn’t escape.

Ito left the kitchen, passed through the hall, slid open the shoji, and stepped into his garden. A large, plain slab of cypress lay atop the grass. Well-treated, its waxed exterior shone like amber. Leaning down, Ito grabbed one end of the slab and flipped it over, revealing its underside.

Carved into the wood was a large circle, engraved with occultic runes and characters. Each cut was clean but revealed untreated wood beneath. Small discolorations were visible where the lines had been left in the dirt, but they wouldn’t matter. As he was told, the ritual was largely superfluous.

Ito lifted the indigo sack.

On his own, he was trapped in these pointless routines. But the key to his cell was in his hand now. It wasn’t happenstance that he came into possession of it.

After all, it was Ito that had arranged for the relic in his hand to be taken to Kagamihara University. It was due to him that Asahi had learned of its arrival. The original plan was to kill Asahi and take it after the former had already stolen it.

Though he wasn’t above stealing, Ito knew that to be the culprit of the theft would leave a clear trail to himself. Plundering the treasure from the thief would leave a murky trail, throwing off any interested parties.

It wasn’t outside of his expectations for the chairman to catch wind of Asahi’s betrayal. Little happened in the underside of the city without Shinonome Hisao’s knowledge. That was why Ito had targeted Asahi. Should the chairman make a move to stop the traitor, there was only one person he would send for the job.

Ito only needed to provide the basic framework and the Grail would take care of the rest. It was that leniency which enabled one such as he, who knew little of Magecraft, to participate at all.

Ito untied the sack, placing the plundered relic in the center of the summoning circle.

From his jacket pocket he retrieved and unfolded a small slip of paper. His grey eyes scanned it, double-checking the ritual, and refreshing himself on the incantation.

Even that was lenient, but he would see it through regardless.

He crumpled the paper and tossed it aside.

Enough waiting. The incantation consisted of what Ito identified as two distinct halves. The first laid the groundwork for the summoning. The second was an oath.

Red brands seared and engraved his skin.

“I announce.”

For Ito, only the oath was necessary.

Something stirred. The still air in his garden came to life with those simple words. The uniformly cut grass swayed.

“Follow the call of the Holy Grail. If thou wouldst obey this mind and this reason, then answer my call.”

A ring of light appeared within the carvings on the cypress. Like a liquid, it spread along the markings, filling out the circles carved into the wood. Ito watched the ritual until the light began to rise from the ground, at which point his vision turned black.

“I make an oath here.”

Ito continued, unperturbed. He was told that the fifth element was imperceivable by human eyes. That his vision would fail before it as an automatic defense mechanism.

“I shall attain all the virtue of all Heaven.
    I shall have dominion over all the evil of Hell.
    From the Seventh Heaven, attended to by three great words of power, come forth from the ring of restraint, Protector of the Balance!”

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries

Lysander listens to Sarah's explanations without comment. His fingers still as hers spring into action, nervously tapping away at the counter. He merely stares, unblinking, not yet ready to ponder the implications of it all.

Only when other woman chimes in do his eyes shift towards her.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasumi
    “Yeah. He closes up shop earlier now, but that’s ‘cause the years are taking their toll. What’d he do for you that left such a lasting impression?”
    "He makes the best bento boxes in town, and they're always half-price in the afternoon." Lysander replies without hesitation."The cucumber rice balls are good too. And..."

He considers for a moment, and then - "Catch." - tosses the object he's been playing with this whole time. Silver floats through the air towards Kasumi, landing softly in her palms.

"I'm a magus too. No student of Geology can resist rare materials. And we never forget where they come from." The strangeness of the item in question and the completely serious expression Lysander presents make it difficult to tell whether his words are profound or playful. "Do be careful with that; it's priceless."

It is a pleasant distraction, talking about things like that. Still, it is a distraction. The ugly facts remain.

Mangled corpses, concentrated around ley lines, work of the inhuman. The Arashiya, Kanade, Hiori, and the late Hayate. A Holy Grail War, deliberate leaks, locals being warned to stay out of it...

Quite a mess he's chosen to involve himself in. How should he proceed, given this information? Visit the Arashiya? Explore the ley lines looking for a monster? Or, the Holy Grail War...?

Lysander Scriberis Archemist sighs, then stands. It's getting stuffy in here, and not because he's kept on his thick coat. The air swirls with rumours, stuffing his mind with unpleasant thoughts. No wonder Sarah seems loathe to talk about it. He imagines she must be sick of answering questions on the matter for foreign magi.

"I need a minute outside," he says. A minute to put his thoughts in order. A thin cigarette, its paper pale blue and filter magenta, is pinched between two fingers. He recalls the numerous anti-smoking signs plastered over the walls. "If it's a problem, I'll cross the street."

Blog Entries
    Day 0 - Afternoon (2/3)

“The Association calls us Second Owners because it is their closest equivalent to our task. We are not a part of it, merely allies. As caretakers of the land, the provisions for your private resort is a gift from us, not your right. As for a position, I could care less. As a member of one of the Eight Families, I have no interest in abandoning custom and tradition.”
    It seems like the Patriarch didn't leave her quite as unprepared as her apologetic conduct had made her seem until now. No, she understood she was the provider of a service in this interaction, and I wasn't exactly in a position to demand more than I had been given. Even as I sweetened the deal to a point where it would have taken heavy lifting to deliver on my promises, she adamantly refused.

And in her statement...there was that tinge. A disgusting, dissonant sound accompanying her already forced attempt at staying formal. I could feel it turn into background noise, accompanying our entire conversation.

She spoke of us as if the Clock Tower was a nuisance.

I suppose the old man left that part out of her education. I remained silent as I reconsidered my options. If I couldn't do it as...forward as I had planned, maybe there would be another way.

“More importantly, even if I gave you two weeks, it’s already too late. People have already summoned their Servants.”
    It was as if the sound had turned to a deafening screech. A wall had been placed in the path of my racing thoughts, and the force of collision was enough for me to lose my countenance in the moment.

"Are you serious?" I leaned forward so fast I almost headbutted the poor girl. After a moment of being way too close in her face, I recline. Still shaken, the chaotic stream of thoughts that previously sought for a solution was now ordered in a clear direciton. Sadly, said direction was panic.

"I can't let this get out of hand. I must..." I collected myself. There was no bargain to be made. A terrible lesson taught over and over again in these wars was that a wish-granter was hard to outbid. Anybody whose loyalty could be bought would not make for a reliable asset in this war...

That decision should have probably taken me longer, but there was no alternative.

"...well. I think I will see that I will get settled in. I expect my stay to be extended a bit further. If you by chance learn of any other participants in the war, do not hesitate to call. You know where I will be staying I assume..." I had some real estate in the area, and it seems like it would see some use. "...in exchange I'd be willing to help you in this challenging transitionary period. If there is anything you wish to handle in regards to the Clock Tower, do not hesitate to rely on me as your father did." I stood up and cleaned my glasses of the tea steam as I continued talking to her, as if in a daze. "...even for more mundane things. If you wish to do construction on the place now that your father is gone, I should be able to connect...though real estate development in the area is difficult, what with all the organized crime...expect it to take longer..."

I felt a migraine coming on. I needed to be somewhere else.

"Anything else you wish to talk about? Otherwise I'll be taking my leave."

Even so, her faint...mockery...it still was bothering me.