Thread: Fate/Antiquity (IC)

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Hashimoto Arata
    Day 0 - Afternoon (Phase 2/3)
    Nishi Ward - Kagamihara University

He frowns a bit at the way Tsukiko characterizes it. Burnout? Her wits haven't dulled.

"I'm looking for something new."

She suggests the cafeteria. It's a good thing she's here; he would have probably wandered around for a while before settling on anywhere to eat.

As Tsukiko rattles off the various locations he could visit in the city, he takes stock of them.

The aquarium. There was something peaceful and serene about them. He'd have to swing by and check it out if he ever had time; a good place to just let his thoughts wander. "You know, I never did drop by the aquarium back home. Is there a big attraction here?"

The view on the Starset Bridge. Instinctively, he's already mentally tossed that idea into the bin. Just standing around gazing into the distance... it's not really going to get anything done. But he pulls back against his reflex. That kind of mentality was for his office. In fact it might be the perfect place for what he has in mind. "A great place to stop and smell the roses, huh. It must be your favorite of the bunch."

The Midnight Blue... there's bars like this back home. Maybe it'll be a good way to pick up information from like minded folks. Not that he ever bothered going to them anyway, so he might as well now. "You say that like you have a favorite drink there."

A boat ride? The waters around the english isles weren't very inviting. Maybe this was different. At the very least, a boat ride taken for leisure instead of to get from point A to point B would be a change. It might even be a way to get a good vantage point of the city, depending on the route... "What kind of boat rides are these, exactly?"

The Tokisaki Shrine. Ah, here, business must come before pleasure. He needs to drop by and see this Second Owner sooner or later. It doesn't hurt the historical aspect adds pleasure to it anyway. "That's one visit I'll definitely be making," he nods.

Haunted woods? That just sounds like some old wives' tales... but given the nature of this city, he's not so sure. "Haunted? You're not afraid of ghosts, are you, Tsukiko?"

He can't help but feel a little giddy at the prospect of visiting all these places.

Eventually the duo reaches their destination: the cafeteria.

Arata casts his gaze over the cafeteria as they enter. Glass pane walls allow sunlight to stream in, giving it a modern but comfy vibe. The kind of place that someone could curl up and take a nap. Nobody is napping though; the dining hall is alive with the chatter of the student body and the clinking of utensils. It's a comforting atmosphere; one where the general din makes them feel part of a group, but loud enough that everyone is afforded a measure of privacy. Too loud and they'd shout themselves hoarse trying to speak over the crowd, but this way they could be secure their words would be between each other.

All in all, it's a familiar setting, one that Arata's seen daily over the decades at the clock tower. The key difference, however, is the context.

There's a saying in the clock tower.

"Real magi eat alone."

Who has time to waste on frivolities when there's so much work to be done? His nose always to the grindstone, Arata always brought his food back to his office to keep working while he ate. When others would invite him to go eat, he would turn it down. His familiarity with the cafeteria consisted of dropping in to get his food and then leaving, or getting something delivered. In that respect, Tsukiko had him pegged.

So he feels strangely out of place here, in a familiar setting but doing something completely alien. A tinge of disappointment tugs at him; ever since setting foot in this city, he's wanted to visit certain kinds of places he'd seen... elsewhere. But this is a good half step.

Looking at Tsukiko's food, he suddenly gets struck with a craving. Yakisoba. That isn't something he could get at the clock tower easily. Grabbing his own portion, he settles down at the table with her, the greasy and heavy aroma of the noodles lingering between them. The table has a solid and sturdy feel to it, very reliable and thick. The seat is warm thanks to the glow of the sun, and he can feel the toasty blanket of light against his back.

Taking his first bite of the yakisoba, he loses himself in its strong flavors for a moment. The mix of sweet and savory hit the spot; now that he's settled down in their little corner, a pocket amidst the crowd, he feels a bit less conscious of his surroundings, and his gaze settles on Tsukiko.

The exhaustion in her voice. That's something he can recognize anywhere. A weariness of it all; the tiredness of grinding forward day after day.

Her question tells him she's been looking all this time to unburden herself of what's been weighing on her. In truth, both questions intrigue him; things rarely happen in a vacuum and you can't get the full picture without seeing what came before.

So, with that in mind...

"It was a shock when you suddenly disappeared. I wanted to find out what happened, but I never had the chance. Why'd you leave?"

They just started to eat. There's plenty of time for the both of them to reminisce.
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

Blog Entries
    Theresa Octavia
    Nishi Ward - Shopping District

“That’s true,” Lumine finally says, having taken in your words. There is no path left for the two of you. Any regrets are pointless. Like cornered animals, you can’t run from the truth. The only thing left for the two of you is to fight for your lives.

It’s not that the other girl seems hesitant when she accepts the truth, but rather, regretful. Still, there is solemn resignation as she tosses away the empty container in the trash can, getting up with a stretch.

“I shouldn’t be having doubts,” she mutters as she walks beside you. She tugs on your sleeve to tell you that you should follow—deeper into the aquarium. A gimmicky seafloor exhibit, unpopular for its lack of visibility. Under dim blue lights, she turns around, peering over your shoulder for any witnesses. After a moment, she seems satisfied, your only company the lethargic fish and skittering crustaceans from across the glass.

It’s hard to read her expression in the dark, so only the soft cadence of her voice can betray her emotions. You feel it, in your blood and bones, where this is going.

“I don’t know about the others,” she starts, but doesn’t finish. The words linger in the air, hanging uselessly. “But I figured the only one I could ask was you. ‘Cause we have the same reason.”

“But promise me—”

It comes all at once—the feeling of malice overwhelming you like a deluge, no longer dammed up.

“Let’s burn down this world together.”

Lysander Scriberis Archemiste II
    Nishi Ward - The Midnight Blue

"I'm a magus too. No student of Geology can resist rare materials. And we never forget where they come from." The strangeness of the item in question and the completely serious expression Lysander presents make it difficult to tell whether his words are profound or playful. "Do be careful with that; it's priceless."
    Kasumi blinks as she catches the keychain, treating it as if it were about to fall apart in her hands. She looks flustered, like someone’s suddenly given her too much responsibility all at once.

“Not mine to keep then,” she says jokingly, but her tight grip over the trinket betrays her innermost feelings. Not the kind to mess with other’s belongings, it seemed.

"I need a minute outside," he says. A minute to put his thoughts in order. A thin cigarette, its paper pale blue and filter magenta, is pinched between two fingers. He recalls the numerous anti-smoking signs plastered over the walls. "If it's a problem, I'll cross the street."
    “Just walk a bit, those fuckers all do it anyway,” Sarah says with resignation. “Take as much time as you need, though. The less the scent lingers, the better.”

It’s hard to tell why smoking makes her so irritated, but at the very least, it seems like she’s trying to be accommodating.

Tanabe Shin
    Higashi Ward - YaYa

"Here's hoping you can buy me a beer next time we meet up. See ya."
    “Here’s hoping.”

Shinoda watches you as you make your exit, forlorn resignation all over his face. No matter what he says, you’ll put yourself in danger. Plenty of people die in the sordid affairs you left behind, but it’s that same harrowing experience that truly creates the bond between brothers. He can do nothing but watch you walk down a road he can’t follow.

In the end, against store policy, he fishes a cigarette from under the counter and lights it. A tribute to a brother he may never see again.

[SCENE END]

Zhang Canyuan
    Day 0 - Afternoon (2/3)
    Nishi Ward - Sekigahara Headquarters

“Let’s see where this joke takes us, then; down to its bloodied punchline.”
    “That’s the kind of fire I enjoy seeing,” Ayame says with a smile, reaching into her jacket. She pulls out meticulously folded papers—instructions—and slides them across the table towards you. Quickly unfurling the wad of text, you realize the instructions are painfully clear, as if written for the most clueless person on Earth. Step by step, diagrams in the margins.

“Don’t get me wrong, there were plenty of other candidates other than you,” she says, as if to temper your expectations. It’s at odds with the awfully pleased expression on her face. “But I just happened to think you stood out better than the rest.”

“Details are in those papers, don’t lose ‘em. Unfortunately, they weren’t very particular with the catalyst you’re given to work with, so do your best.” She grabs one of the many papers and points to a section—the location for the drop site for the materials you need. Somewhere in Minami Ward, near the woods. “Be here by seven-ish? That’s the time I think they put down, anyway.”

“If there’s anything else you need, call me? I don’t mind those kinda work calls,” she says, though the sultry way she delivers it makes it clear she’s just fucking with you.

Reinhold Dietrich Presper
    Day 0 - Afternoon (2/3)
    Minami Ward - Tokisaka Shrine

Hiori flinches as for a brief moment, your panic overwhelms the calm rationality of the conversation. The half-hearted smile she gives is both guilty and apologetic, over things well out of her control. For a moment, she opens her mouth, as if to say something, but instead clamps it shut, returning to that awkward smile. What comfort can a girl like her give?

"Anything else you wish to talk about? Otherwise I'll be taking my leave."
    “If I do need assistance in dealing with the Clock Tower, I’ll make sure to contact you,” she finally says after a moment of thought. It’s evident in the way she says it that she views it as a sort of hassle, rather than an honor. “…And if I get any news on any participants.”

“In any case, I pray that things will not go as badly as you envision,” she says, trying to be hopeful. False comforts, that you aren’t sure are meant for you or for yourself. “Hopefully, we can meet on better terms next time, Mr. Presper.”

アカシャの蛇 The Serpent of Akasha RacingeR's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Sanda Rakuin
    Higashi Ward - Setagaya Park

“Sure, deal.” Rakuin says after thinking on it a few seconds, and takes the policeman’s hand, which disappears inside his grasp. The monk at least does his level best to not crush it, holding it as delicately as possible.

Of course, by now his mind is working in overdrive. It had just occurred to him that a connection with the police would perhaps prove to be quite valuable in this endeavor. While the policeman is trying to exploit him, the fake monk is thinking of how to best make use of him and the force he represents.

Well, and the disappearances make for an interesting hint. Information, information makes the world go round, nowadays.

“It would help me a bit to know what to look out for. Suspicious people is quite the ample category after all.” Rakuin points at himself as an example. He then makes a ‘lead the way’ gesture, while still thinking of how to take advantage of this.

Hm, he had planned to stop begging for now, but it might be wise to keep running his scheme for a little bit, now. Ah well, he’d see what shakes down from this particular tree first.

quotes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1984 View Post
    Besides, I don't see what's so terrible about looting anyway. It's only property, they're not actually harming anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by lantzblades View Post
    when I say hero I don't mean hero in the spirit sense. I mean a morally grounded, good natured person who doesn't slaughter innocent people. No such person exists in the Nasuverse.
    [00:12] <~Katie> i can't defy my origin
    [00:12] <~Katie> of gay memes

[16:15] <~Katie> lesbians has always been my gimmick and i will exploit it to the fullest

[22:56] <@Sei> airen is pegging hero this time
    [22:56] <@Sei> for once airen isn't the uke
    [22:56] <@Kuroyuki> I thought Air was the Woman in the Relationship?
    [22:56] <@Airen> Yeah I kinda thought I was the girl too!

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries

"Mm."

With a simple nod, Lysander walks out of the Midnight Blue, leaving Kasumi holding onto his priceless keepsake. The moment he steps into the cool afternoon air he passes his hand over the cigarette clutched in his mouth and the tip glows with blue flame.

He follows the scent of old cigarette smoke. From one side of the bar to the other. Then across the street, into an alley, where the smell is the most rancid. This is where 'those fuckers' do it, huh? As good as spot as any.

For a moment, indeed a minute, and perhaps another, Lysander Octavius Archibald waits, and thinks, and smokes. The cigarette in his mouth grows shorter as a haze of pale blue smoke envelops the magus. He raises his free hand, pulls back the sleeve, examining once more the wounds that had afflicted it the moment he stepped into the city. They have grown clearer. The shape is unmistakable now.

"This is gonna be a pain..."

The altered cigarette slowly burns down to its base. Lysander had said he'd needed a minute to decide what to do, but that was a lie. He already knew what to do. This minute was just to lay to rest any ill feelings about doing it.

When he is finished, the smell of cigarettes is no longer. Instead the scent of mint and lilacs clings to Lysander, the alley and the Midnight Blue's walls.

He pushes open the door and walks back in. It is time to fight a war.

Tanabe Shin
    Higashi Ward - Terada Cemetery

As the sun continues to settle lower and lower below the horizon, Shin sits in his car, staring at some wrinkled, yellowed pages. He bothered to bring out three of the notes left for him, even if he's memorized one of them. For a while, he stares at that one letter that started him on the path here. The thoughts pass through his mind, the last chance to back off. To shirk whatever pride he had and run away, and forget about this occult nonsense. Just run back to his civilian life, cooking noodles from dusk to dawn.

He lets out a sigh, and nods to himself. It's an enticing offer. But it's one that forsakes the legacy of his closest family. That isn't in the cards here. It's Shin's fault that he's here instead of Uncle Tanabe, really. This isn't something he can turn tail and run from. It's something that he needs to see through, that one path he can walk down for atonement.

Shin turns the key enough to power that car's dash, and checking the time jolts him to get a move on. Too much time spent on day dreaming, not enough time moving ahead. He opens up his car's glove box, putting one of the letters in and grabbing the rusty dagger laying inside. The other two notes get folded and stuffed into a pocket. He's sure he can do this without the instructions, but Shin figures this is something you measure twice for.

He gets out of his car, and looks at the setting sun behind him.

"Damnit." He lets out another sigh, this one sounding more annoyed than the last. "Guess that's what I deserve." He was hoping to get the groundwork down before it got dark, but he wasted his time thinking. No more of that now, just focus on getting this done with. Grumbling, he grabs a duffel bag from the back seat, along with his Beretta from underneath the driver seat. The gun still doesn't have a magazine in it, something he quickly remedies with Shinoda's supply drop. He doesn't bother with any more than just the one clip, though. Without his holster, the gun gets sheathed behind his back, under his shirt and in his waistband.

With the bag and gun, he locks up his car and re-reads one of the notes he folded into his pocket. Six hundred paces east from the Lutz's gravestone, there's a clearing there in the forest. Whoever made these instructions, Uncle Tanabe or otherwise, must have picked it since the name stands out. Even if this cemetery has more resemblance to Western ones than traditional Japanese graveyards, a lot of names stand out as oddities among the majority of Japanese names on the carved stones. Makes it easy enough to find, but if there's any other significance to the dead and buried Lutz, it's lost on him.

Trudging through the cemetery, he has an idea of where to find the headstone he's searching for. There's some graves here Shin visits regularly, something he's cursing himself for not making more time for. They'll have to wait for his visit a little while longer. Maybe he'll get a good chance later tonight, even...

Soon after he begins combing the edges of the graveyard, he spots what he's looking for. If anyone else was around visiting the dead, he didn't bother noticing them. Shin's dead-set on what needs to get done now, though he still takes a few moments to pay his respects to the grave he's using as a landmark. At this time of day, the sun's rays casting an orange hue over the landscape gives the grey headstone the illusion of a golden color. After a few seconds of silence, Shin nods to the headstone, mumbles his appreciation, and turns to head into the forest nearby.

⸻⸻

Shin takes a step back to compare his handiwork to one of the letters he had found, holding up a lighter to give him some candlelight. In the clearing, he's carved out a summoning circle in the ground, with another semi-circle nearby from a botched first attempt. The letter mentions putting the dagger on an alter near the circle, though Shin decided that a large rock was good enough to act as an altar.

He goes over to his duffel bag for the last thing needed in the instructions. Another liberty he's taking, rather than draining fresh blood into the circle, he pulls a jug of pigs blood from the bag. Once he drains the container of blood into the circle, he tosses the jug aside over towards his bag. That's all the groundwork done.

It's time to see if all of this magic business is truly real. Whether Uncle Tanabe had been preparing for a proper war, or if the old man lead his nephew on the wildest goose chase. This all still feels silly to Shin. Despite his own investigations, and honing his senses over the past two years, he looked at all of this with muddled skepticism. This incantation is the concrete evidence that he needs to take it all at face value, if it works.

Sigh.

A cigarette ends up in his mouth before he gets started, lighting it and taking a short drag before unfolding another letter. He skims through it once in his head, and raises his free hand towards the circle.

"Fill, Fill, Fill, Fill..."

He mumbles on the cigarette in the side of his mouth as he speaks. Catching himself, he raises his voice.

"Fill. Heed my words. My will creates your body..."

No reaction. He scowls, annoyed, but continues with the mumble that he originally started with.

"...And your sword will create my destiny. If you heed the Holy Grail's call..."

A sharp pain in his right hand makes Shin flinch, a brand searing his skin. His eyes widen as he sees the circle begin to brighten. A surge of confidence and unease runs through him, and he raises his voice.

"Then obey my will and reason. Answer my summoning!"

Both the brand and circle flare brighter. He glances back at his letter before he starts to ad-lib at the end.

"I swear, to be all the good in the world."
    "That I will defeat all that is evil in the world."
    "From the Seventh Heaven, clad in the great words of power. Come, Keeper of the Balance!"
    Last edited by Steak; March 8th, 2022 at 11:44 AM.
    The Perma-Lurker

???
    ???
    ???

Here, nothing truly lives.

This place is but an endless expanse of black and grey.

What this place truly is is unknown, but there are many names for it. The netherworld, the afterlife, purgatory, the underworld, Gehenna, Naraka, the abyss, Akhirah, Limbo.

It is the home of countless spirits, of the ghosts of man. Be they wicked sinners or compassionate saints, and any and all in between.

Here they lie.

Here they wait.

For judgement, for punishment, for salvation.

But all that is irrelevant... as a single ray of light enters the dark void.

Within the shadows stretched to eternity, souls begin to stir.

The hand of fate descends.

Wraiths, nameless spirits one and all, flock towards it.

Towards destiny.

Formless as they are, the shades hasten to the lone star of hope.

A promise of resurrection, or of long-lost form. To return to how it once was, or what shall now begin.

Of escape from what awaits within the slumbering darkness.

But as soon as they fly towards this sprinkle of hope, so too they do flee.

As Death awakens, and heeds the call of fate.

Assassin

The summoning circle suddenly dimming in its intensity is the only reaction that occurs.

No otherworldly presence comes forth from it, nor does any magical entity provide the proof of the man's success.

Within the forest, nothing happens. The sun continues its descent, the sounds of animals remains a constant and a light breeze meets your hand.

Did the ritual fail? Was it the pig blood, or the ad-libbing at the end that caused this?

Perhaps your doubts weren't unfounded... or had something happened after all?

Your right hand beats once more, the brand quickly dulling as it remains there, seemingly inactive. It is the sole change that is noticeably different compared to when the ritual began.

For a few seconds, that is.

Eyes fall upon Tanabe Shin.

"You."

A disembodied voice speaks from below.

"My Master."

The gravelly voice speaks out once more, yet its origin is now clearly from the treetops.

"Are you prepared to perish?"

No killing intent is felt, despite the words uttered.

But perhaps more alarming still is that... whatever it is that speaks, it has left no trace of their existence to be found.

Gläubig müssen die nicht sein, daran glauben müssen sie I3uster's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Day 0 - Afternoon (2/3)
    Minami Ward - Tokisaka Shrine

I stood up and gave her a courteous bow. She was quite agreeable now that it had become clear that I was no longer a burden on her it seemed. Good for her. There were things I had to attend to now. Covering my absence. Information gathering. Planning. Consolidating resources. Writing a will. Organizing a relic...

And yet I couldn't help but feel like I needed to discharge this stress somehow. On that poor girl though? No. She was not at fault for this...not fully. It was a failure of her duties in some way, but in others she was under no obligation to involve me at any stage of this. And yet it seemed like she didn't quite...understand.

Was I the first contact she actually had to the Clock Tower outside of her own family?

It was a possibility. Maybe she never wanted to offend me, nor was she in the clear what her position here was. In that case, maybe it was better to simply tell her. Surely, as long as I would do so matter of factly there would be no offense.

-----

"There is one last thing I wish to leave you with." As I stand outside, ready to leave the estate behind and make my way towards my own, I interrupt the uncharacteristically wordless ritual of her seeing off her guest.

I lock eyes with her intently. It was important than any impression of my previously shaken state were no longer visible. I had to be calm, not vengeful. There was no point to impart this to her with a tinge of irritation.

This was not about scolding this child. It was about telling her why the sky was blue.

"It is a misunderstanding you seem to fallen prey to that you have been approximated as Second Owner by the Clock Tower. This is not the case. There are no approximations. This is not a title. It is a descriptor of duties that certain people perform, no matter if shaman or shareholder. Due to our general policy of minimal interference we allow the existence of parallel societies such as yours, which often lead to a degree of misunderstanding in this regard. Many consider this a mistake, and sign that we should run a tighter ship. I disagree. But rest assured, would you not perform the duties that you do, we would find someone that did, and they would carry your descriptor. And would you interfere, we would be supporting them to the best of our abilities, as fiercly and convicted as we support you now, of course."

I turned away from her, facing the horizon.

"I do not speak for the organization. I merely admired it enough that I deemed it worth to dedicate my life to it. The Clock Tower is a perfect system that consists of many imperfect individuals, like myself. It has persisted for longer than any of its detractors ever predicted, and wrestled entire world religions into stalemates. Magic thrives where we allow it and it ceases where we demand it. It preserves what should have long died, and will continue to do so after all that remains of us are dilapidated graves."

One last time I turn towards her, this time grabbing her hand and giving her a firm shake.

"I hope when that time comes, yours will be empty. Goodbye, Miss Arashiya"

-----

Just out of her earshot, I got my cellphone out

"Lena, I need you to get me something from the plane."

-----

Day 0 - Evening (Phase 3/3)
    Nishi Ward - Presper Residence

The biggest risk factor, aside of course from twelve other individuals wishing for my death in this little competition, was the very weapon I needed to wield to kill them. An attack dog unlike any other. Sure, I had my experience with familiars, dangerous ones too, but nothing quite like this.

A power unmatched in modern day. The very finest essence of what humanity had to offer. Gods, human only by taxonomy and hair splitting.

And the shell to contain them was not exactly what I would call reliable. A dog whose chain you can yank only three times could hardly be called trained.

So I had to rely on what I knew best. Control the few parts of them that still could be called human. And stack the deck as well as I could to ensure I was the one in control in this relationship.

The rest was just hoping and daring.

Candlelights were the only illumination the dark cellar under thesmall western-style house in the bustling commercial district of Kagamihara City. The floor screed upon which I had drawn a chicken blood circle seemed only to accentuate how hasty my decision had to be made under the current circumstances. The cellar walls were still unclad bricks. If I had planned on spending more time here I would have a contractor properly tile the whole place. As it was, it smelled like wet rock.

Wet rock and candles.

"Silber und Eisen sei dein Anfang."

No use crying over untiled floors. Time for business.

"Der Erzherzog des Vertrags sei dein Fundament.
    Erhöre mich, im Namen meiner Meisterin, Bingen.
    Lass die tösenden Winde mein Wall sein
    Schließe die Tore aller Richtungen
    Steige die Krone empor
    bis sich der dreigespaltene Weg um dein Königreich windet."

The prana rushed into the circle. The candle lights soon were outshined by it. It was bright as daylight.

"Ich verkünde:
    Dein Körper ist mein zu befehligen
    Mein Schicksal soll deinem Schwert innewohnen
    Erhöre dich dem Ruf des Heiligen Grals
    Antworte wenn du dich diesem Willen sowie der Wahrheit unterwirfst.

Ein Eid soll hier geschworen werden.
    Besitzer aller Himmel Tugenden. Herrscher aller Höllen Sünden."

And this was it. This was where the deck was stacked.

"Doch sollst du dienen mit deinen Augen betrübt von Chaos.
    Warst du auch jemand im Käfig des Wahnsinns
    so bin doch ich es der deine Ketten hält."

I hope whoever it was would be forgiving of this feint. Or too mad to consider it an affront.

"Des Siebten Himmels drei große Worte
    Komm aus dem Zirkel der dich hält, nun
    Wächter des Gleichgewichts."

A burning pain was my immediate reward. A glance on my hand is all I could force myself to do, before I realized how crushing the momentary silence had become.

And then, a great thundercrack.
    [04:55] Lianru: i3uster is actuallly quite cute

Tanabe Shin

The silent moments after the ritual completes astonish Shin, for more reasons than one. But more importantly, he felt the uneasiness of being watched. The atmosphere had changed, that much was enough to tell him he didn't mess up.

He closes his eyes to try and think how proceed, sucking on the cigarette to try and calm his nerves.

"You."
    That noise startles him to open his eyes back up, dropping what's left of the cigarette to the ground. But his breath never comes out, he holds in the smoke as he tenses up.

"My Master."
    Shin's eyes shift in his head as he scans the area for the source, gritting his teeth. It only adds more weight to his nerves when he can't find anyone, or anything. He finally exhales the smoke through his nose, holding in a coughing fit.

"Are you prepared to perish?"
    One cigarette wasn't enough. Before answering, he quickly bites down onto a new stick, and lights it. He sighs a cloud of smoke, and answers before he keeps his new partner waiting too long. He pulls the cigarette out of his mouth and speaks up to the forest, loud and clear.

"I've answered this same question before. I remember saying yes, even though it was a lie at the time. I believed it, too. But, I've had some time to think about it since then." He shoves his left hand into his pocket, while the other hand hovers near his mouth. He breathes in more smoke, and lets out another sigh.

"I don't intend on throwing away my life. Although, as much as I hate to say it, I am. I'm prepared to die." Shin takes a moment to breath, and forces himself to calm down. This is something he'll need to get comfortable with, and the sooner he is, the better.

So, this must be Assassin.

"Ya know, having a ghost hang over my head is making me feel more sure about that answer." Shin waits to hear the voice speak again. Having given up on searching for the speaker, he stares off towards the circle he carved into the ground.
    The Perma-Lurker

Assassin

"You are not blind to your reality then."

The voice speaks out once more, as the feeling of being observed continues.

Were it not for those two elements, there would be nothing that hints at another presence. To so perfectly meld away within the environment is a frightening talent. One most suited for an assassin, as you surely know well. Should Assassin truly wish to remain hidden from you, or anyone... he probably could.

A frightening thought.

It is only as silence fills the gaps between Assassin's answers that another absurdity presents itself.

It is that very silence itself.

Where previously the sounds of nature buzzed about in the background, now it is truly quiet. No birds are singing, no crickets are chirping, no flies are buzzing.

Only the sound of a burning cigarette and your own thoughts accompany you in this forest.

Until the gravelly voice returns from behind.

"You have taken lives before, yet you lack the full fledged eyes of a murderer. You stand before me with a heavy heart, yet knowing this conflict could spell your end."

Seemingly satisfied with an awareness that understands the fragility of their own being, the Servant plainly states his observations.

"Are you not lying to yourself still, my Master?"

And questions the sincerity of your certainty.

"You and I both have a wish we seek fulfilled. You are prepared to die for it, yes, but to what end are you prepared to live for it?"

Are you willing to sacrifice others for your hearts desire?

What is fair in war, who is innocent?

How deep does your need to shield others from this battle go?

Where do you draw the line, when is your heart's desire no longer worth the price?

It is these things that Assassin asks of his Master.

And in response to the heavy undertones this question asks---

Magic fills the space before your eyes. A pure concentration of magical energy the likes of which stands in defiance to the natural world.

As black robes manifest, as dark, nigh-spectral hands begin to form, as a skeletal masks gazes into your very soul.

---Assassins reveals himself.

"Well, my Master, how deep into oblivion do you dare tread?"
    Last edited by Zurvan; March 10th, 2022 at 12:10 PM.

Blog Entries
    Hashimoto Arata

Tsukiko smiles as you rattle on about the places she offhandedly mentions, the exuberant curiosity completely infectious. Even a local like her could enjoy old sights if there was someone willing to take it all in with her.

“There’s not really much at the aquarium, it’s just one of those corny date spots. A little simple, but everything that makes a decent viewing is all there, you know? There’s a seafloor exhibit, but it’s lit like an actual seafloor. Can’t see anything.” she laughs, “As for the Midnight Blue… Sarah’s probably has a cocktail you’d like. Tell her I sent you and maybe you’ll get a discount?”

"Haunted? You're not afraid of ghosts, are you, Tsukiko?"
    “Hardly. But when people go missing, you gotta wonder, right? And as you’re well aware, I certainly didn’t enroll in Evocation.” Tsukiko recounts the grim rumors with a nonplussed look. “Better to be on the safe side. Ounce of caution’s worth a pound of cure and all.”

"It was a shock when you suddenly disappeared. I wanted to find out what happened, but I never had the chance. Why'd you leave?"
    Her face suddenly contorts into an exasperated scowl, before all of those unpleasant emotions are released as a long sigh. Regaining her composure, she looks grimly serious.

“I got in trouble with a Lord and their family, so I took the easy way out and bailed. As far as I’m concerned, I’m never setting foot back in England for the rest of my life.” The finality of the statement is accompanied by a short pause, about half a minute or so. Then, perhaps finding her own explanation insufficient, she continues. “That’s all I’ll tell you. The mess I ended up in is way above your rank.”

With that, she goes back to eating, as if to cut you off before you get started.

Sanda Rakuin

The man seems impressed when he shakes his hand, his grip much firmer than your “just enough” effort. The grin on his face is rather unsettling, like he’s hit the jackpot. Naturally, in this world it’s all give or take, but the officer in front of you feels like someone who is used to doing all the taking.

“The kind of people you’d be looking out for, huh?” The police officer takes a moment to think, idly scratching his chin. As he ponders, he motions for you to get into the police car. “Foreigners. Especially the folk that seem rather backwards, like they came from the hicks. It’s pretty vague, but that’s the best I can give you for now.”

It’s not particularly comfortable in a police car, but it could be worse. You could be in cuffs, accompanied by someone who seriously intended for you to do time.

He leans back and tosses you a burner phone.

“If you get anything good, contact me through there. Name’s Nakajima. We’ll be heading to the station for formality’s sake, but you won’t be spending too long there.” It’s impossible to see his expression, but he sounds rather pleased. “...Since this is a hassle and all, I can give you a free ride to wherever after that useless shit is done. Got a location in mind?”

When you return, the two look up from what they’re doing—Kasumi fiddling with her phone, Sarah from mixing a drink, and watch you expectantly.

“Made peace with your decision?” Sarah asks, glancing at something under the counter. “I can’t offer that much help, but if you need a favor I’m willing to chip in. For the right price, of course.”

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Hashimoto Arata

Arata's pleased that she's taking to his questions with enthusiasm. It helps to have people like this around. They pull you out of your shell. Otherwise it's easy to get lost so deep into your work that before you know it, the sun has set and it's time for bed... though he would have called that an ideal day. The satisfaction of completely pouring yourself into something... How many times did he wave off those invitations?

Tsukiko, on the other hand, seems to have taken to her life in this city. She knows the hot spots and its regulars.

"Sure, I'll give her the name drop. You're a regular at that bar, huh?"

Maybe she could give him a drink recommendation.

“Hardly. But when people go missing, you gotta wonder, right? And as you’re well aware, I certainly didn’t enroll in Evocation.” Tsukiko recounts the grim rumors with a nonplussed look. “Better to be on the safe side. Ounce of caution’s worth a pound of cure and all.”
    He strokes his chin, musing over her words. "Hmmm, but as you know, history wasn't written by the cautious," he says, unable to stop a bit of his professorial self from slipping in. "As a student of the Archeology department, there has to be a part of you curious, right?"

“I got in trouble with a Lord and their family, so I took the easy way out and bailed. As far as I’m concerned, I’m never setting foot back in England for the rest of my life.” The finality of the statement is accompanied by a short pause, about half a minute or so. Then, perhaps finding her own explanation insufficient, she continues. “That’s all I’ll tell you. The mess I ended up in is way above your rank.”
    Arata's brow rises as she lays out this surprising tale. She tries to cut him off before he gets into questioning her, but it's hard to ignore such an elephant in the room. Was his nose buried in books so far that a stir like that completely escaped his notice? "Come now, Tsukiko. If you're going to talk about rank, then how did a mere student get in such hot water with a Lord that they chose exile?"

A smile plays across his face. "Besides, you'd be surprised, the kind of messes I get into." As he says that, the back of his hand pulses with a dull throb he's felt all day. "It's been years, Tsukiko. You know me. You can't just drop that on me and move on."

The finality of her declaration, that she's never setting foot back in England, is a heavy one. One that he can't help but sympathize with. Still, for such a thing to be necessary...

Thoughts of the various Lords of the Clock Tower and those who could bring such muscle to bear flit through his mind. "Who was it?"
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

Theresa Octavia

“Let’s burn down this world together.”

For a moment, there was silence. Nothing but the dim, almost lifeless sounds of the seafloor exhibit around filled the air.

The next moment, a light giggle.

Amusement.
    Cheer.
    Relief.

As she realized that such a reaction might be misappropriate here, Theresa quickly stopped herself and responded properly.

As for why exactly she found such a macabre request so amusing-

“You know, when you dragged me down here and went through all this to make sure that there was no one else around, I was almost a little worried about what you were going to ask. Second thoughts are only natural, after all. If you were going to ask to stop, I’m not sure what I would do.”

That little hypothetical would be rather disastrous.

“But this…”

It was almost too trivial to ask. The intensity of her feelings to this world might not have matched Lumine’s- but in the end, that didn’t matter. Their path was already made.

“There’s no need to ask, really. As you said, we have the same reason. There’s no choice for us. Making a promise is a bit over dramatic, don’t you think?”

The brief joy from earlier faded from her voice, replaced with resignation- a tinge of sadness, even.

“We want to live. For that to happen, this world must die.”

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries

"Mm." Lysander nods. "A favor..."

He collects his keepsake and sits across from Sara Tenevere, once more calm and collected, only this time smelling a bit sweeter.

"What price would that be?"

He'll be needing all the help he can get.

???
    Nishi Ward - Presper Residence

The foundations of the quaint house quake and tremor as the ritual reaches its climax. The excess of ritual energy leaks out at the walls of the cellar, gouging out mortar and stone like a lion's claw. The magical circle hiss and sputter as its labor bears fruit within its center. Gashes in reality tear open and mana surge forth with a baleful gale towards the magic circle. The winds howl and spin dangerously in chaos as prana coalesce into a bright mass of prana: a Spiritual Core.

The Core rotates with the furious current of the winds as it siphons more and more energy. Another boom of thunder sounds as the final phase of the ritual commences. From within the pristine core an outpouring of lights spread out like deluge from a dam. Lights connecting lights connecting lights connecting lights as they quickly create a humanoid shape. But before the ghost-like body is finished, the glow of the circle dims into a sinister red shade. The winds rage into a dark torrent as the smell of blood seeps into cellar. Crimson, chain-like lights erupt from the magic sigils and coil themselves around the Spiritual Core.

This final step releases a cacophony of noise and light as the humanoid mass is completed.

Above this din of insanity, a mad cackle howls in glee.

-+-

The cellar is drowning in darkness in the aftermath of the ritual. The walls and floors are cracked and crumbling as the house above creaks in pain. If Presper were in the right mind, he would further groan at the current state of affairs and immediately work up some budget for repairs. But the German magus was not for his attention was focused on something else entirely. A new presence that stood in the darkness of the finished ritual.

The dim light barely illuminates the nude figure. Even with his back to the magus, the man was like a marble statue of Ancient Greece. Every muscle and sinew carved in perfect form and even in the darkness his wild mane of blond hair is seen. He moves with careful movements and sluggishly, feeling every piece of his new body. He savors the breath of living even as the now-dry cellar air clings to his newfound lungs, taking greedily deep breaths.

Yes.

"Hm hm hm."

I missed this feeling! he thinks.

"Hm hm mm hm ha ha ha."

The feeling of being ALIVE!

"Hahaha HaHaHa HaHaHaHaHAHAHAHA! YES!" the man explodes with elation and raw magical might. With a look of pure insane bliss, the man roars in triumph as he transforms his prana. The dark cellar is blinded like the dawn of a beautiful sunrise from the burst of magic. Man is no longer nude, his chiseled form now adorned with golden silk and royal purples and black leathers.

The Servant called Berserker finally turns to address his summoner.

"Rejoice."

"For you have summoned the One, True God of this World."

Spoiler:

So Many Ideas, So Little Time SleepMode's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Zhang Canyuan
    Day 0 - Afternoon (2/3)
    Nishi Ward - Sekigahara Headquarters

“H-Hohohh, what flattery. I’ll keep the gracious invitation in mind then, Ma’am.”

Canyuan replied to the prodding with matching faux-interest. Ech, hardly his best delivery; never found the perfect deflect for these prods, and the Boss-Lady knew this. Still, she makes for a decent source of information, assuming her statement wasn’t complete jest.

“Can’t exactly promise everything’ll go smoothly, but I’ll assure it to be a show worth watching, just you see~.”

Folding the instructions back and slipping it into an inner pocket, Canyuan lifted himself off the chair. While it’s nice to take in the information in the calm…

“Better make myself scarce, then; the sun’s about to set, and it’ll be a good distance to the old part of town from here, heheh.”

Canyuan left with a single wave at his superior’s direction, sauntering towards the door.

[...]

“Haaah…”

…Or at least, not without a quick drink and rinse. Finally out of Mitsurugi’s sight, Canyuan took out the flask and downed a couple gulps in the bathroom. The Langjiu burned ice-cold thanks to the November chill, but it was a welcome sensation to Canyuan. Moreover, its fragrance washed away most of the migraine.

“Good heavens, what a dilemma,” Canyuan muttered, shaking his head. “Talk about feeding a flame into the powder keg, hah!” Thinking back, it’s equally poetic for the upstarts to have their hopes placed on the likes of him; after all, only a fellow cuckoo would help the other in escaping their cage.

Seeking freedom from one’s shackle, there can be no greater undertaking, indeed — -

— - A rattle.

Speaking of shackles…
    “Can it, you.” Canyuan tsked, tapping it in his side to quiet it. “Had enough of your mumblings today; just be glad Mitsurugi didn’t catch that bit earlier.”

It remained silent. Good. The less it talked, the better; nothing good came from its lips. Splashing some water onto his face, Canyuan looked at his open palm.

Right. The blemish. A curious rash(?) that was his new companion since October, after handsoap and ointment proved it was no smudge. Far too intricate to be inflammation yet far too occupied for a checkup, the fixer had made do with wearing gloves for concealment. Fits the wintry season, at least.

Canyuan sighed. Another hassle, but such is life. Dealing with it would probably be kept in the near future – assuming he lives through this mess, that is.

With the short reprieve, the fixer quickly left for the nearest bus station. Best to retrieve the drop in due haste – there’s an ancient familiar to summon, after all.

==[SHIFT]==

Zhang Canyuan
    Day 0 - Evening (3/3)
    Minami Ward - Near the Forest

The ride towards the old town retrieving the goods went smoothly. Case in hand, Canyuan made his way towards the designated spot for summoning, far enough from civilization yet not entirely within the forest.

“Forest of Remembrance,” it was called. A vast expanse of ancient woods harking back to days of old, a time when gods once walked alongside man. And with the hearsay and vanishings, a forbidden ground barred from human encroachment. It’s likely why neither the Shinonome-Kai and Sekigahara alike conduct their business nearby — for such a serene place, the airs are awfully ominous.

Even then, the trees’ foreboding pressure hardly bothered Canyuan. Superstitious as he is, treading such grounds all comes down to respect and distance; show deference, not fear, maintain distance, do not trespass. Simple tenants, really.

After walking around the forest parameters, Canyuan finally stopped at a sufficiently flat space, perfect for enacting the summoning. Scanning the surroundings, the fixer took a deep breath, taking in the crisp night air beneath the rising moon and stars. What a beautiful night for a drink, shame.

Best leave that after the summoning. Canyuan hummed. He wonders if these “Servants” can drink or eat, despite being spirits and all. Probably wouldn’t hurt to ask.

Setting up the circle was a simple matter, thanks to the instructions. The rings, deftly drawn. The sigils, carefully etched. The blood, gently poured. Canyuan was no magician, yet he knew this was the sort of work that demands no room for error – he’d rather not risk an explosion or whatnot. When you do something, do it right, as Ma would say.

Once the circle was set, Canyuan took out the “catalyst” -- a single, faded feather -- and gently placed it before the site. Looking at his completed handiwork with satisfaction, Canyuan read over the incantation for good measure before stuffing it back in his breast pocket. Now for the final touch - —

“…Let silver and steel be the essence.
    Let stone and the archduke of contracts be the foundation.
    Let rise a wall against the wind that shall fall.
    Let the four cardinal gates close.
    Let the three-forked road from the crown reaching the Kingdom circulate.”

Golden, scattered leaves rustled, lifted up by rising gales.

“I hereby declare.
    Your being shall serve beneath me, and my fate shall rest upon your sword.”

The circle glows a ruby light, its crimson glow a wordless call.

“If you submit to this will and law, obeying the sanctum of the Holy Grail, then answer me.”

The back of Canyuan’s outstretched hand jolts, the darkened bruise now a brand sharing a similar glow.

Whatever reaction he had is pushed aside, in the interest of continuing the incantation unimpeded. One cannot falter in critical moments such as this.

“I hereby give my oath.
    I shall attain all virtues of Heaven; I shall rule over all evils of Hell.”

— - Beneath his attire fastened at his side, it rattled again in bitter anticipation.

“From the Seventh Heaven, attended to by three great words of power, come forth from the Counter Ring, protector of the holy balance!”

Silencing forest and night, a brilliant flash filled the summoner’s vision.
    The Act of dozing off in the afternoon is a luxury indeed.
    Coffee would be nice, though.

[Collection of my Servant Sheets]
    Now Revamped!

Tanabe Shin

"You can tell just by looking at me, huh? Well, if you can tell that, I'm sure you can tell I don't exactly take pride in it..." He comments, taking a few moments to think about the last thing this ghost has said. He rolls the shortening cigarette between his fingers as he looks the apparition up and down, his eyes landing on the slits in the mask. The anxiety he felt before is still present, but no more than the initial shock he felt.

Shin decides to suck in more smoke, and exhale once more before dropping the butt to the ground. Still looking at the mask, he grinds the cigarette into the dirt as he speaks. "I'm no liar, so let's get one thing out of the way. I don't plan on dragging any outsiders into this war if I can help it, and if I see one of our rivals trying something with civilians, I plan on being a thorn in their side." He reaches into his pockets again, fidgeting for the pack of smokes again.

"I don't know much about it, but it's already clear to me it should stay in the shade." Shin looks down starts to count the remaining sticks in the pack, debating if he has enough to smoke another. "We both want something at the tail end of this, though. And since I dragged you into it with me, I'm going to support you the best I can." He pauses to think for a moment, a short grin flashing on his face. He shrugs and pulls out another cigarette, putting it into the corner of his mouth as he talks.

"So long as you can agree with that, then I can say I'll walk with you as deep as we need to." He looks back up at Assassin's mask, though he's not certain if he's making eye contact. "I'm a simple man. If you want to fight with me, then you're as good as a brother to me." He offers a hand to the apparition, unsure if he can even shake those spectral hands.

"Well, Ghost? Are you ready to join my side in this?"
    The Perma-Lurker

Assassin
    Day 0 - Afternoon (Phase 3/3)

The sensation of being watched remains, even if no eyes can be seen behind the skeletal mask.

The gravelly voice answers once more, its origin clear as day now that Assassin had manifested himself.

"You have a heart of gold, and yet you are willing to walk into the abyss. What's more, you would see no harm befall upon the innocents in this war..."

A darkened yet almost translucent hand reaches out.

"I could not ask for a better Master."

And Assassin returns the handshake. An icy cold sensation can be felt, almost as if it leeches away the warmth of life itself.

Yet all the same, Assassin casts his full approval of Shin Tanabe.

"We are in this together now, my Master. I shall be your watchful shadow, your eternal companion. I shall be your cloak and dagger as we blend in with the shadows and hunt the wicked. Our domain shall be the night, descending on the unsuspecting with surgical precision. Together we shall be the horror that plagues the hearts and minds of all that dare lay claim upon the Holy Grail."

The sounds of nature return as the tension fades.

The wraith-like hand lets go, Assassin instead wandering off to the dagger used as a catalyst.

His eyes fall upon the blade, but of course no expression can be gleaned from the masked apparition.

"...But make no mistake, I shall fight and hunt for you, not with you. The opponents we face are of a calibre beyond mortal men. Your safety is most vital, you are now the lynchpin of my existence. Without you, I lose that which tethers me to this world."

The underlying tone makes it clear that this is no demand of Assassin, but more so a lesson. A simple fact, but one with considerable consequences.

Two lives, connected.

They must rely on one another if they wish to witness the end of this conflict, and as such risking one's life recklessly would not do.

But ultimately, whether to heed such a lesson is not up to the Servant of assassination.

"Remember that well, my Master."

It is up to his Master, and his Master alone.

アカシャの蛇 The Serpent of Akasha RacingeR's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Sanda Rakuin

“Gotcha, will keep an eye on these people if I find one.” Rakuin says almost vaguely as he nods to the man’s description, but his brain is practically overheating at the moment as he considers the meaning of this policeman’s words.

So, someone at the police is searching for magi and other such people. That is quite obvious to him from the given description.

Had his identity been found out? Rakuin thought about that, but he doubted it. Being in plain sight was his best defense: no magi with any pride would act like that, nor would demon hunters or half-demons, maybe. That and the cop had just given him one hell of a tip if that was the case. No, yeah, they didn’t know his true identity, or so he hoped.

The fake monk eyed the burner phone in his hands with a trace of nervousness. His wandering nature and necessity had seen to it that he learned more about technology than most of his magus peers. He toyed with the idea of there being a tracking device in there, but if so, it’d be much easier to just take him out right now rather than having him run free. Not like they’d find others of his kind just by tracking him.

Well, he’d take a look at the phone later, but he didn’t expect to be able to find a disguised tracking device there. It was not like he knew more about tech than your average modern citizen, perhaps even a bit less than most. And it wasn’t like he could be rid of the damn thing without attracting undue suspicion.

“…”

Interesting. Quite interesting. He didn’t expect to be handed such a weapon so early. It was a double edged one, but if used with the appropriate cunning and wit, it could be of great benefit. The shameless monk wasn’t above involving the police in this mess. A man with a gun could be extremely dangerous even to a denizen of the supernatural world.

Well, not that he intended sending human agents against a Servant, but a single call could make life extremely uncomfortable for one of his rivals. Others wouldn’t look kindly to someone breaking the masquerade, after all, so…

“Oh, just leave me around Minami and I’ll get my own way there.” He answered absent-mindedly. He wasn’t stupid enough to just tell the man where he lived, but... nah, a cop could investigate his location easily enough anyway, what with him being so identifiable. Bummer. Whatever.

A cunning light gleamed in Rakuin’s eyes, even if his expression remained stony. The cop in front of him might be used to do all the taking, but his supposedly hapless victim was already scheming how to scam him for all of his worth.

quotes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1984 View Post
    Besides, I don't see what's so terrible about looting anyway. It's only property, they're not actually harming anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by lantzblades View Post
    when I say hero I don't mean hero in the spirit sense. I mean a morally grounded, good natured person who doesn't slaughter innocent people. No such person exists in the Nasuverse.
    [00:12] <~Katie> i can't defy my origin
    [00:12] <~Katie> of gay memes

[16:15] <~Katie> lesbians has always been my gimmick and i will exploit it to the fullest

[22:56] <@Sei> airen is pegging hero this time
    [22:56] <@Sei> for once airen isn't the uke
    [22:56] <@Kuroyuki> I thought Air was the Woman in the Relationship?
    [22:56] <@Airen> Yeah I kinda thought I was the girl too!

Blog Entries

Click.

Click.

Click.

It was very cold.

What had once given heat had, in the interest of efficiency, been stripped away. Blood had turned to dust, nerves to wire, and the rest - not even worth mentioning. Not anymore.

Now the bearer wandered, out of sight and mind. Everything that was necessary had been discarded long ago, leaving only flickers of emotion, like the flames of a candle waiting to go out.

Why they wandered, what they waited for, who they had once been or really were - they could not tell you. Not anymore.

"...?"

Somewhere in the darkness, there was a song.

They knew this song, which echoed even in the cables that had once been their bones.

They did not know this song, which was sweet, and sad, and called for something that had long been abandoned.

It called out to them, torn between knowing and not knowing, and their feet turned to follow.

Click.

Click.

Click.

A burning, like a red heat.

Pain.

Suffering.

Enslavement.

This reality that could not have happened, that must have happened, had been laid aside long ago only to be captured forever in song - it surrounded them, pulling on their hands like cords, rushing them forward without ceasing, without mercy, towards an uncertain place-

Lips - what once were lips, long ago - curled back over iron teeth.

"You."

LANCER
    Day 0 - Evening
    Minami Ward - Near the Forest

They appeared, as if from air, in an unfamiliar world. The boy, the bird, the trees - it was so unfamiliar that the similarity burned their mind. Turning to look, one way, and then the other, they could feel the sudden cold upon their skin. What was left of it, if at all.

No matter.

Blood, dripping endlessly from the spear in their hands, pooling under their feet-

No matter.

"Boy."

"Well met."
    [12:37] <I3uster> if playing overwatch would save my mother from the deathbed
    [12:37] <I3uster> id probably flip a coin
    [12:38] <I3uster> to see if i play or not

[18:23] <frantic> spinach is like a caffeine zombie

[18:23] <frantic> in AX he would like
    [18:23] <frantic> drink 8 shots of espresso
    [18:23] <frantic> then he'd turn to me an hour later
    [18:23] <frantic> 'frantic', he'd say, his eyes wild and his lips smug
    [18:23] <frantic> 'i need coffee'

Blog Entries
    Theresa Octavia

In the dark you can hear the small “harumph” the girl lets out when she hears you giggle. That noise is all you need to know the severity of the pout on her face. You hear the rustle of her jacket—folding her arms, perhaps?—and then the impatient tapping of feet on the ground.

“Overdramatic? Please,” Lumine says, exasperated. “Everyone knows the best kept things are promises. If you have the resolve to put something into words, you can carry that resolve to doing it.”

“When it comes to actually doing the deed, plenty of people get cold feet. They talk the talk but they won’t walk the walk. Making that pivotal first step is just too hard,” she continues in a slurry of expressions. “That’s why a bit of mental reinforcement never hurts.”

Faint scarlet marks shine through the darkness, faintly illuminating the other girl’s hand. Something you’d have quite shortly, if everything went to plan.

“I already made my decision a few days ago,” she says, with a laugh, like she’s played a cute prank, “but you and the other guy were being a bit slow, so I wanted to see what the fuss was about. If you were gonna hesitate.”

“But from the looks of things, I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt.”

She doesn’t bother continuing, yet makes no motion to lead you towards the light. Eventually, you hear her take a step, and then another, as she slowly starts walking back towards the light.

“Guess I didn’t need to drag Assassin along…” she finally muses, sounding slightly disappointed.

“Hmmm.” The bartender acts like she’s thinking about it, but if she’s offering her help, she must already have a price in mind. The sly grin on her face makes it feel like she just wants to see you sweat.

“A few trade secrets?” She tries to make it sound pleasant, painless, harmless, but asking for research downright shameless. A normal magi would leave out of sheer offense. “I spend plenty of time peddling my wares, but I’d feel a bit guilty giving you the hustle. But knowledge is pretty priceless, don’t you think?”

“If that’s too steep, you could always help around. Do a few drops for me. No big deal, just gotta be polite and nod your head all the time. Sound fair?”

Cuan Yugou
    Day 0 - Afternoon (2/3)
    Nishi Ward - Kikanbou Ramen-ya

Kikanbou is, for all intents and purposes, exactly what anyone would expect out of a family restaurant. Nestled in between a dozen other local stores, it’s on the smaller side, every inch of space seemingly fighting for the right to exist. The tacky oni sign outside only serves to reinforce the gimmick.

Inside is the clean shades of brown you’d associate with polished wood. A light floor with contrasting dark wood furniture. The titular iron club is on display, hung along the wall. It has a gravitas to it that makes it catch the eye, compared to the tacky oni masks surrounding it. The restaurant isn’t too full at the moment, an empty table here or there. What catches your eye, though, more than anything else, is a table with a pair of people at the back.

“The Challenge” table, it’s labeled. The man stands there, watching with a mix of awe and shame, whereas the woman sitting down at the table looks like she’s dealing with the most boring work of her life. Methodically going through her ramen like it was office paperwork. You can watch this man’s pride die in real time with every bite.

“Reminds me of Sichuan,” she offhandedly says. Her terse expression doesn’t change, a bead of sweat rolling down her forehead.

“That good or bad?”

“Good,” she finally says. His face lights up into a smile.

Eventually the man turns back and spots you, giving you the warm customer service smile.

“Table over here,” he says, leading you to it and handing off a menu. Right across from the challenger’s seat, where she progresses without pause. Now that you’re closer, though, as she raises her chopsticks to her lips, you can see it.

Three red marks, intertwined on her right hand.

Hashimoto Arata

"Sure, I'll give her the name drop. You're a regular at that bar, huh?"
    “Used to work there part-time,” Tsukiko grumbles. “But balancing evening shifts and coursework was not for me, I’m afraid.”

"Come now, Tsukiko. If you're going to talk about rank, then how did a mere student get in such hot water with a Lord that they chose exile?"
    “Ahahaha…” Quickly understanding that no amount of deflection could dissuade your curiosity, she nervously laughs. The expression on her face is all too clear—this conversation is like pulling teeth. Eventually, she seems to resign herself to her fate, finally piping up. “I ruined an arranged marriage. More accurately, I convinced them to follow their dreams.”

“Even if the Trambellio family is less likely to be concerned about pedigree, these kinds of archaic deals are just the norm, right? Children with better circuits to carry on the ideals your forefathers have had for centuries. Still, I convinced their heir to throw it all away, and well… Nobody was too happy with my involvement, it seems.” She looks uncharacteristically sheepish remembering this. Then again, it would be reasonable if she didn’t entirely trust you. “No more questions, alright? We split paths a long time ago.”

“I figured everyone who’d end up here would be running away from the Association… Unless you’re the exception?”

Sanda Rakuin

“If you insist,” the officer says with a shrug. Nakajima doesn’t push the issue, seemingly satisfied he’s already worked out this arrangement with you. With that, the two of you drive off, as you embrace for wasted hours in your day.

Your time at the station is thankfully brief. A few officers try to grill you for any information—but as an outsider, there’s none for you to provide. They all seem on edge, a sharp undercurrent behind their facade of politeness. Eventually you’re let off with a warning to cause less of a ruckus when soliciting funds. Truly, the pointlessness of bureaucracy.

Minami Ward - ???

True to his word, Nakajima drops you off towards the less occupied side of the city. It’s a bit difficult to call it a slum, but more on the tactfully abandoned side of things. Empty buildings, unkempt land, the type of place that has been abandoned for years. There are still some signs of life, like the place you’re staying in, but it’s few and far between. Just the skitter of people trying to get by, unable to get ahead in this material world.

Speaking of your place, though, it’s awfully close. Is it just coincidence, or is his intuition really that sharp?