Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Fate/Antiquity (IC)

Tanabe Shin
    Day 0 - Afternoon (Phase 3/3)
    Higashi Ward - Terada Cemetery

Assassin's words makes Shin pause at the gate. A long moment of silent as he thinks of what to say, before finally sighing again.

"Who they are mattered to me. The way they got here was...Unfair. Stepped on the wrong toes. Fell into a hole they couldn't climb out of. Just plain unlucky....I don't have the right to talk about them fondly." Shin talks as he leaves through the gate, to himself from anyone else's perspective. His gaze directed downward at the pavement as he approaches his car. "Still, they left a good impression on me."

Quote Originally Posted by Zurvan View Post
    Do you require six more graves to be dug? The spirits of our enemies may never find rest, but their bodies may as well be returned to the soil of the land.
    That comment irritated Shin. Dig some more graves, because they'll be dead soon enough. Big talk, even if it's coming from a ghost. It's the same callous, arrogant line of thought that he remembers from the seniors in the Yakuza. Not all of them, but too many. He raises his head high as he speaks, raising his voice to Assassin.

"Jackass. Unless someone's croaked already, six graves for six living people is just spitting in their face. It's disrespectful..." Shin mellows out again, looking back down to the ground. "Since they're living, they've got my respect. We can dig a grave for 'em later, if they don't lose it."

Shin finishes his walk to his car in silence, opening up the trunk to grab a first-aid kit he's stowed away since he got the car. On Assassin's advice, he wraps his hand to conceal the command seal with a roll of gauze. When he's done, he flexes his hand to tell if he's done a good enough job. Satisfied, he climbs shuts the trunk, and climbs into the driver's seat. The white car rumbles to life soon enough, and Shin finally opens his mouth again.

"We've got one more person I need to visit tonight. He's someone you should know about... No, you deserve knowing about him." He starts up his car, and drives towards Minami cemetery on the south side of Kagamihara....
    The Perma-Lurker

BerserkerCAESAR
    Day 0 - Evening (Phase 3/3)
    Nishi Ward - Presper Residence

Master.

The Servant's jovial mood dims as he glances over the smaller man. The smirk on his face falls short of his predator-like eyes. A flash of annoyance, barely hidden, flickers into nothing as the magical being takes a deep breath.

Patience.

Exhaling his breath in a bark of laughter, the Servant speaks. "O the folly of the ignorant," he intones playfully. "I suppose that pure Divinity is not appreciated in these times. I will allow this trespass just this once." He gestures theatrically, his arms open wide like welcoming a lost child. The Servant touches his chin and begins to circle the German magus. "But to think that I'd be called forth by... a barbarian," he leans close and takes in Presper's scent without consent.

"A German, no less." Another bark of laughter as the regal man twists away and straightens himself.

"No, such a mere title is unsuitable for mine summoner. To summon I, God, nay you shall be my greatest asset in this tribulation," the Servant exclaims pointing at the German. "Under my Authority I grant you the position of 'Pontifex.'"

A German head priest. Just what is the world coming to?

The Servant catches on to the hesitant magus under his authority. With a hint of venom, the Servant states "And I command that you refer to me not by that odious container. But by a title befitting my former mortal form---"

---+---

"C A E S A R"

Spoiler:

Berserker
    Day 0 - Night (Phase 3/3)
    Forest

…cute.

Berserker was cute.

Even as jaded as she was, she could not deny that the sight of Berserker nervously swishing her tail was charming, in its own way. She didn’t know why the question provoked that reaction in her Servant, but the gesture was nonetheless very cute.

Berserker was also very deadly.

That much was clear from the way in which she moved at breakneck speeds and toppled trees. If Theresa had any concerns about the power of her Servant beforehand, then she was more than satisfied with this current display.

And finally…

… for some reason, it felt like Berserker was looking towards Theresa for approval.

She didn’t know how to feel about this fact. For Theresa, who had been following orders for almost the entirety of her life, the idea that an individual of such great power would look towards her like that was a foreign sensation. It was unthinkable.

… maybe she was imagining it?

"U-um, but I promise I'm pretty strong! No, even stronger than most servants!"
    “… I-I see.”

Staring at the tree now on the ground, she could only give a rather stunned agreement- there was certainly no denying that Berserker had backed up her words with evidence.

… at any rate, since it seemed like her question had provoked a stronger response than intended (but thankfully, not stronger than she feared, given she was dealing with Berserker), she decided to try clearing things up right away.

“Anyways…”

Unsure on how to approach this deadly bundle of energy, Theresa chose her next words carefully- cordial and polite, just like the way the researchers of ATLAS talked to her. A very smart approach, she realized, when dealing with dangerous and unknown entities.

“If my question was upsetting to you somehow, then allow me to assure you I meant nothing by it. I was simply curious, since those features…” letting her gaze wander over them again, she continued. “… are very striking.”

So Berserker was not a humanoid, huh…

That might make things easy.

“And, although my tells are not as obvious as yours, I am also not a human. I was wondering if you and I were alike in that regard.”

Assassin
    Higashi Ward - Terada Cemetery

Ku--- kukukuh. I see, I see. Yours is a fate most unkind, my Master. A twisted irony permeates throughout your path.

An assassin that respects the living, yet ended up summoning a servant of Death.

A man that has no stomach for murder, yet must kill again for his heart's desire.

For the first time, the Servant laughs --eerily as it may be-- in an expression of humanity. He neither laughs at or for you, instead finding some vague enjoyment in the wheel of destiny. Or perhaps, in your continued struggle against this fate?

Or perhaps, it was your choice in vocabulary?

The wraith does not manifest himself, though even if he had, it's highly unlikely you could get a sense of his facial expression. Darkness clad within a skeletal mask is all there was to observe, not exactly the most telling as far as faces go.

You would do well to extend that respect towards the deceased spirits that aid our foes. They may have 'croaked' once before, but they are Heroic Spirits all the same, legends whose deeds were engraved within history.

Heroic Spirits. Legendary figures that have had a tangible presence upon the world. Whether they are from myths, legends, fairytales or recorded entities within reality proper, these figures ascended beyond mortality, their legacy continuing long after their demise.

Naturally, the ephemeral dream of life these heroes cling to is one that shall be snuffed out. Their time on the stage of life is over, they have no more part to play.

Of course, that much extends to Assassin as well. Skulking about within the shadows of night, it is a role which no Heroic Spirit is appropriate for. Traditionally this meant that the Assassin class consisted only of those with the title of Hassan-i-Sabbah, Old Man of the Mountain.

The legendary cult of assassins of historical truth.

Their role is to bring about the demise of the weakest pawns within the war. The Masters themselves. And through their end, so too does their Servant cease to be.

Perhaps you are wise to respect those that still live. After all, this world is not the place within souls rest, but within they are put to the test. I meant no disrespect towards them, but to be my foe is to court Death.

...And at the end of their heroic tales, all these Servants ceased to be.

In the end, death always wins.

This final visit, are they a person being tested still, or do you walk within their legacy?

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Hashimoto Arata
    Day 0 - Afternoon (Phase 2/3)
    Nishi Ward - Kagamihara University

Arata feels gratified by her sense of ease. Though she ended up washing out of the Clock Tower due to the extraordinary circumstances she got herself into, at least his words did something to help leave behind her regrets. But what's that look in her eyes...? For the first time, he becomes conscious of himself, seeing himself through her eyes. Did he give away too much...? Having an unexpected reunion on the eve of such an important event made him too slack...

She's only too right, after all. The kind of detached, aloof magus demeanor that she'd have seen from him at the Clock Tower is in the backseat today. Truth be told, there's a part of himself he can't help but see inside her, especially after hearing her story. Stories like that... there were many he's been privy to.

"Hmm... call it learning from other people's mistakes."

That was a bit of a lie. It wasn't mistakes of others. A mistake is a regret. Something done in error and looked upon with grief. But whether it was truly a mistake dwelled within the eye of the beholder evaluating it. Just like the shadow of something can be seen in stark relief against a wall when a light is cast upon it, so too do certain things become clear when another "light" is shined upon it. Tsukiko's story could be one of them; one where a different perspective born from another viewpoint recasts the mistake as another path to take. In that sense, there was plenty to learn from it, wasn't there?

Watching her phone buzz, he comes out of his thoughts. His yakisoba was done anyway, and lay satisfyingly heavy in his stomach.

It was a nice detour and a trip down memory lane, but it was time to move on.

Nodding, he bids her farewell. "It was a good time catching up."

Now... about that Second Owner...

He absentmindedly watches Tsukiko leave as his thoughts run through the rest of his plans.

...storage? Why did that stick out to him...?
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

Berserker
    Forest

Quote Originally Posted by Theresa
    … I-I see. Anyways… If my question was upsetting to you somehow, then allow me to assure you I meant nothing by it. I was simply curious, since those features… are very striking.”
    "I-is that so...?" Berserker's ears perked up as she lets out a relieved smile at her master's reassurance, glad that she won't be abandoned for not being a human. "Hehe... I'm glad to hear that, master."

“And, although my tells are not as obvious as yours, I am also not a human. I was wondering if you and I were alike in that regard.”
    "You... aren't?" Berserker tilts her head, and curious about that claim, starts pacing around Theresa, looking at her from various angles like a curious puppy; when she couldn't see anything unusual, she starts sniffing the pink-haired girl (though she takes care not to actually touch Theresa with her nose, just close enough to smell anything unusual), and...

"I couldn't see or smell anything unusual... Master looks and smells like a human, I think." Berserker says, sitting down as she ponders in what way Theresa isn't a human, before giving the girl a bright smile. "But if master says so, then it must be true!"

There's no reason for Theresa to lie, after all!

Besides, if Theresa's claims is true, and she isn't human...

"...is it lonely, master? Not being a human in the human world?" She asks softly, her smile dimming just a little bit. "I used to feel lonely all the time... but now I have master, and master have me!" She looks up - her amber eyes meeting her master's blue - letting out a small giggle as her tail softly taps the ground rhythmically. "I'll be here for you, as your servant."

...Hard to believe that this is a Berserker.
    Regalia Hijinks

<Erlkonig|Phone> Why get a gf, when Airen is your waifu?

<Airen|Phone> I'll save everyone, it's fine

<Snaxies> Airen is totally Jesus again

<frantic> I actually hate reading your post because you're so fucking anime

<Reiu> Regalia is a scary place desu...

<Mellon> He who lives by the oneshot, dies by the oneshot

Personal Compliments

<@RacingeR> Pally would be a perfect shoujo lead

<Erlkonig> I would fall for Pally if he was a qt shoujo manga lead girl

Quote Originally Posted by Airen
    Only pala is pure, the rest of ya are twisted

Quote Originally Posted by Cheetose
    I'm not sure if it's like this generally, but Pala seems to be very good at making naive and innocent, but also strangely bulliable characters.

アカシャの蛇 The Serpent of Akasha RacingeR's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Sanda Rakuin

Minami Ward - ???

Rakuin deflated slightly when he heard her laugh. She wasn’t exactly laughing at him, per se, but he knew his cover had been blown almost immediately. At least his Servant seemed rather amused by the situation, instead of wrathful.

Curious. He’d expected someone… stodgier. Sterner, severe. But it didn’t seem like she worked that way. Surprisingly expressive, too. A lot easier to get along with than he’d suspected.

Though of course the fact that he was a fake monk was going to throw a wrench into that, but he’d deal with things as they came.

“Caster it is, then. You can just call me Rakuin. And don’t worry, I also don’t care much about formal greetings and whatnot.” He said with considerable aplomb, recovering rather quickly.

At least she was pragmatic and had decided to not touch the topic for now.

“It doesn’t necessarily need to be our base.” The man said, rubbing the back of his head somewhat awkwardly. “I can afford something better, if necessary. I picked this place for its isolation and the no questions asked policy of its owner. I’m kind of… noticeable, so it seemed like a good compromise to not get so much visibility.” He explained. As a consummated conman he’d taken a lot of factors into account, particularly how hard it could be to find him within such a big city if he took pains to not make himself too obvious. “I didn’t bother doing all that much with it just in case we’d decide to not use it.”

“Maybe tell me what kind of base you’d need and I can see if we can acquire something close to your requirements?” Moving wasn’t really a bad idea either, given the chances of the policeman tracking him, but he was willing to be flexible either way. Maximizing the advantages of his Servant was the road to winning the war, or at least surviving it.

Plus, he’d rather talk strategy than to risk the earlier topic and awkward questions.

quotes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1984 View Post
    Besides, I don't see what's so terrible about looting anyway. It's only property, they're not actually harming anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by lantzblades View Post
    when I say hero I don't mean hero in the spirit sense. I mean a morally grounded, good natured person who doesn't slaughter innocent people. No such person exists in the Nasuverse.
    [00:12] <~Katie> i can't defy my origin
    [00:12] <~Katie> of gay memes

[16:15] <~Katie> lesbians has always been my gimmick and i will exploit it to the fullest

[22:56] <@Sei> airen is pegging hero this time
    [22:56] <@Sei> for once airen isn't the uke
    [22:56] <@Kuroyuki> I thought Air was the Woman in the Relationship?
    [22:56] <@Airen> Yeah I kinda thought I was the girl too!

Blog Entries
    LANCER
    Day 0 - Evening (3/3)
    Minami Ward - Near the Forest

There was a wish. It was an all-consuming, enveloping wish that had eaten out their heart and dripped from their spear like blood - it had torn them apart and put them back together - it was pain and heat and death and a little bit of hope; it burned in their core like a candle...

Quote Originally Posted by Zhang Canyuan
    "...Contracts, Servants, Masters, Command Seals…"

So focused had they been that they had ignored the very words in front of them.

It was strange to feel the air trickle past cold, dead teeth, pushing into a chest that no longer moved yet still drawing breath; but they breathed, and deeply.

Quote Originally Posted by Zhang Canyuan
    “With you being here and whatever’s on my hand, guessing the contract ‘tween us is set and put to stone, err... Lancer, I take it?"
    Hate.

Hate burned in their chest like a flame and warmed their tongue to speak.

"Y...esss..."

The rattling of chains and the clinking of gears began to echo in the clearing as the spirit - Lancer - strode forward, one step, then two, then three, until they stood right before Zhang Canyuan, looking down.

"I will not ask thee for sacrifice, or obeisance. Point me towards thy foes. I shall handle the rest."
    [12:37] <I3uster> if playing overwatch would save my mother from the deathbed
    [12:37] <I3uster> id probably flip a coin
    [12:38] <I3uster> to see if i play or not

[18:23] <frantic> spinach is like a caffeine zombie

[18:23] <frantic> in AX he would like
    [18:23] <frantic> drink 8 shots of espresso
    [18:23] <frantic> then he'd turn to me an hour later
    [18:23] <frantic> 'frantic', he'd say, his eyes wild and his lips smug
    [18:23] <frantic> 'i need coffee'

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Caster
    Minami Ward - ???

"Rakuin, got it."

The two monks had their differences, but that was an issue for later. Once the basics were dealt with, then she could worry about worrying. Caster nodded slowly as she listened to Rakuin's response, though truth be told, most of the information he provided didn't really matter.

Maybe tell me what kind of base you’d need and I can see if we can acquire something close to your requirements?
    "Mmm. Not your property, but it's isolated, and the owner won't be bothering us? Sounds good to me. Almost ideal, even."

It was a pretty convenient situation, all things considered. She might even be able to start setting up right away.

"Honestly, as long as we have the building to ourselves, the details don't really matter. Territory Creation might be a normal skill for Casters, but you could say setting up a base is my specialty. So the location is the important thing, and this one sounds good. Anything else I should know, anything you need?"
    Last edited by Elyrin; May 9th, 2022 at 02:49 PM.
    <Satehi> thank you based admin of justice, he/she who doth bring forward the true gospel

Theresa Octavia
    Forest

Lonely.

Berserker was asking Theresa if she felt lonely.

A weird question, she thought.

“I suppose…”

Theresa’s voice trailed off a bit.

Certainly, by many objective metrics, her life up until now had been rather solitary- in a more severe sense then the one Berserker probably implied. If the question had been posed at her younger self, then the answer would have been a rather resounding yes.

But that response just didn’t feel right for her right now.

And if she had to put to words why that was, then it was simple-

“… but I’ve gotten used to it, so it doesn’t really bother me anymore.”

It was like asking a fish if it felt wet. She’d been alone all her life, so it simply stopped registering for her. Her current state was just how things ‘naturally’ were

Normal.

Lumine and the others were a slight departure from this norm- but Theresa would have been hard pressed to call them companions. They were working together because they had a common goal. As Lumine had just reminded her earlier, that was the extent of their relationship.

"I used to feel lonely all the time... but now I have master, and master have me. I'll be here for you, as your servant."

“…”

Silence.

It seemed like Berserker was looking forward to getting along, and this should have been good news for Theresa- it meant their future cooperation would go all that much smoother, after all. That was what should have happened, and thus Theresa probably should have smiled back and said her own share of platitudes, and they should have went on their merry way…

… but that was not what happened.

Indeed, this should have been good news- and that was why Theresa was on guard.

Good things did not happen to her.

It was hard for her to take this gesture at face value, or even understand it. In her viewpoint, this sort of thing did not happen.

They say people always project parts of themself onto others. But the way Berserker was acting so… happy, was something that was too foreign for Theresa, who was still on guard. Breaking the silence

“Likewise, Berserker. I’ll do my best to support you, as your Master. But if I may ask something…”

Fueled by a mix of genuine, simple curiosity, as well as caution towards the intent of strange Servant she had summoned, she asked-

“… how can you be so sure that I’m a person you want to get along with?”

Berserker
    Forest

“Likewise, Berserker. I’ll do my best to support you, as your Master. But if I may ask something… how can you be so sure that I’m a person you want to get along with?
    "How can I be so sure...?"

Berserker's ears drooped as she looked at the ground, still sitting down as memories from a time long past flashes through her mind; a precious, yet painful memory to remember.

As little as it was, she did have experience with social interaction; she remembered the looks she was given, the fear and caution apparent in so many eyes as they looked at her, the abandonment and eventual solitude that awaits her...

And the laughter.

She vividly remembered the laughter that followed.

She looked back at her master, finally noticing the caution in the girl's gaze and tone, and gave Theresa a sad smile.

"Master talked to me."

Her answer was quiet.

"Master didn't get angry after I sniffed you all over."

Brown tail gently swished back and forth, the memory of her only friend briefly flashing through her mind.

"Isn't that enough? I... I want to believe in you, master."
    Last edited by palad1n; May 11th, 2022 at 10:52 AM.
    Regalia Hijinks

<Erlkonig|Phone> Why get a gf, when Airen is your waifu?

<Airen|Phone> I'll save everyone, it's fine

<Snaxies> Airen is totally Jesus again

<frantic> I actually hate reading your post because you're so fucking anime

<Reiu> Regalia is a scary place desu...

<Mellon> He who lives by the oneshot, dies by the oneshot

Personal Compliments

<@RacingeR> Pally would be a perfect shoujo lead

<Erlkonig> I would fall for Pally if he was a qt shoujo manga lead girl

Quote Originally Posted by Airen
    Only pala is pure, the rest of ya are twisted

Quote Originally Posted by Cheetose
    I'm not sure if it's like this generally, but Pala seems to be very good at making naive and innocent, but also strangely bulliable characters.

Tanabe Shin
    Higashi Ward - Transit

Shin drives away from the cemetery, towards the south part of town. He listens to Assassin but seemingly pays little mind to what the ghost has to say. He listens to what his new partner says, and hears every last word. The remark, the warning, and the philosophy, he hears each one but doesn't muster any more emotion to reciprocate to the ghost.

Although, with the silence, he could just be ignoring Assassin.

As he turns his blinker on and stops at a light, he betrays that idea with another sigh. "The man we're going to see is the reason we had to meet. Again, someone you deserve to know about." Another vague answer, but Assassin will learn soon enough. Shin's holding back on answering clearly on purpose. This isn't something he enjoys sharing with others.

The shame of it all, and how much of a fool he was.

Minami Ward - Minami Cemetery

They arrive at their destination soon enough. Another quiet cemetery. This one bears much more likeness to traditional cemeteries compared to the one in the Higashi Ward.

Shin doesn't say anything, just with a blank frown in an effort to suppress how he's feeling inside. He gets out of his car, but not before grabbing the can of beer he bought earlier in the day.

They pass by family grave after family grave, his march interrupted momentarily in front of one gravestone that stands out amongst the rest thanks to it's grandeur, one that reads Shinonome. The gravestone itself seems to be the centerpiece to many other family graves surrounding it.

A few steps further, and they come to the Tanabe marker, a smaller stone that pales in size compared to the Shinonome. There, he finally speaks again.

"This is him. Uncle Tanabe. A man went risking his life to join this war that we're apart of. The man who should have been your partner. The man I have more respect for than anyone else. The man I..."

He pauses, and doesn't finish that thought. The pause is brought on by the same emotions he feels every time he has to think about it, and the same thoughts that race through his mind. He clenches his teeth together, and his face tenses up from regret and sorrow.

Shin closes his eyes tightly for a moment to collect himself, and crouches down to place the can of beer down next to the gravestone. A gift to his Uncle, and a treat to whoever ends up finding it the next day. The cans never seem to stay very long, probably a good thing, else they'd begin to pile up. He shakes his head, stands up, and steps backwards, staring solemnly at the gravestone.
    Last edited by Steak; May 14th, 2022 at 05:00 PM.
    The Perma-Lurker

Assassin

Minami Ward - Minami Cemetery

The long silence is broken by Assassin's Master. The man, clearly distraught as he shuts himself off from the world, reveals the cause of his distress. The man that had started Shin upon this path. The man that should have been Assassin's Master.

At least, according to Tanabe Shin.

In truth, the summoning of legendary heroes is not quite as simple as it may appear. Through the miracle of the Holy Grail, it should be possible for a strong catalyst to be used to summon forth a specific hero. Items such as legendary swords, spears, axes or bows hold strong ties to certain heroes, but there naturally exist items which are not quite as entwined in myth as a warrior and their weapon, or a rider and his chariot. If a master uses a catalyst that extends its roots to many different mythical figures, or perhaps tries to summon a Servant without a catalyst whatsoever, different circumstances are taken into account.

Affinity between personalities, likeness of inherent qualities, the life one has led thus far...

---However, that's only true for heroes recorded within the Throne.

Assassin materializes next to Tanabe Shin, standing before the grave of the man his Master clearly held much respect for. That he dearly missed, regardless of what may have transpired.

"So you walk within his legacy..."

The mass of shadow bends downward, bowing before the grave of what is essentially a stranger.

However, even if this man held no connection to Assassin, he should be given the proper respect because of the Servant's connection to Shin now.

Indeed. While his Master speaks of himself as an interloper between the fated connection between Assassin and Uncle Tanabe, destiny is a funny thing. In truth, there is no need to use a catalyst for those of the Assassin class. To summon an Assassin is to summon one of the legendary Hassan-i-Sabbah, and to summon one of the Hassan-i-Sabbah is to end up summoning an Assassin. They are wraiths outside of the Throne of Heroes, spirits whose purpose is suited to silent stalking, subterfuge and slaughter. There are no Heroic Spirits fit for such a role, and so the Grail finds the most suitable among the legendary assassin cult and grants them their Master.

In other words, the chance that the man buried here would have summoned this Assassin, are ultimately far more uncertain than Tanabe Shin believes.

However, the man is grieving his loss even now, along with shame of what must have happened between the two. And this kind of knowledge isn't something a fresh-faced Master would be privy of either, so it cannot be helped.

After a moment's silence, the skull masked individual vanishes once again, darkness molding into nothingness.

"...Will you tell me of him? You need not force yourself, but I would like to hear more of this man. He meant a lot to you after all."

Regardless of how fate had played out, Uncle Tanabe clearly had a wish he desired to see come to fruition... but did Assassin's Master share that wish, or did he inherit it?

Or perhaps, it was simply the circumstances of tragedy, the twisted irony that permeates throughout his path that had caused this, rather than a clash in ideals?
    Last edited by Zurvan; May 15th, 2022 at 01:36 PM.

So Many Ideas, So Little Time SleepMode's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Zhang Canyuan
    Day 0 - Evening (3/3)
    Minami Ward - Near the Forest

Quote Originally Posted by Lancer
    "I will not ask thee for sacrifice, or obeisance. Point me towards thy foes. I shall handle the rest."

"...An eager one, I see! But glad you're alright with it, heheh." Canyuan chuckled, whatever earlier fright gone in full. "Worry not; with at least 12 others out and about, you'll have that chance aplenty!"

Goodness, the Lancer's disposition does match its appearance — the ferocity honed to a jagged edge as if the malice is but another weapon to wield. Combined with the sharp stench of iron, any would have quaked at their boots. Thankfully, the odor and atmosphere aren't new to the handyman; this wretched profession has made both a familiar presence, whether he liked it or not.

At least they seem receptive to the whole contract deal…
    Fortunately, this makes adhering to his secret role all the more straightforward. Having a willing familiar like this would mean less effort to appease separate interests, for they are both united in goal; attempting to traverse two roads at once will get us nowhere, after all.

As for 'the rest,' however…

Canyuan scratched his chin in consideration. If not their action, Lancer's enthusiasm is equally appreciated and worrisome. Such forward rancor served well for the offensive, yet is also what got many of his associates and competition buried under; and from what he gathered of Lancer thus far, they fit the bill to a concerning degree.

His other companion rattles along as if in assent. Better to temper that zeal soon than face the price later. Saves both of them from the biting sting.
    Letting out a sigh, Canyuan prepared to let this be said as softly as he could.

"...Though, it's best to avoid a bloodbath tonight if we can help it. There's still a bit I wanted cleared up about this whole business, and 'seems the Church has the answer to them."

Being the mystical Luddite, a few of the finer details about this affair eluded him; even with the crash course provided by the summoning document, it's best to consult someone closest to an expert. And assuming what Mitsurugi-san said was of merit, the city's Catholic church might have something for him.

"'Sides, going in without knowing about context and competition just screams risky, yeah? So unless you have anything to add, I'll be leading the way."

—-Of course, the current atmosphere about this forest just got far more ominous, and it would be prudent to give it space after such a disturbance. As if he would blurt it out loud before the woods to hear, though. Common courtesy and all.

And above all else…

The close companion rattled quietly. A bead of cold sweat rolled down his neck with a shiver.
    He would rather not linger by buried secrets.
    The Act of dozing off in the afternoon is a luxury indeed.
    Coffee would be nice, though.

[Collection of my Servant Sheets]
    Now Revamped!

Blog Entries
    Lysander Scriberis Archemiste II
    Nishi Ward - The Midnight Blue

The sight of your raw gold makes the bar owner’s eyes light up passionately, before the flames extinguish with bitter realization. You can see it in the slump of her shoulders—converting it into something useful will be a hassle. Still, she graciously swipes her new gains to her half of the counter.

“An Edelfelt gem? No way. This here’s from a personal collection. I’ve been trying to offload some of these bad memories for a while now,” she says with a sigh, accentuating it with a half-hearted wave. “As for what you want, tomorrow works. It’s better to have a neat little list than listen to me ramble on, y’know?”

“Trust me, if it wasn’t business, she’d be glad to,” Kasumi pipes up from her corner, fiddling with her saxophone.

“Gotta be professional where it counts,” Sarah beams. “Anyway, you’re free to kill time here ‘till we close, but you’ve probably got more important things to do, don’t you?”

Cuan Yugou
    Day 0 - Afternoon (2/3)
    Nishi Ward - Kikanbou Ramen-ya

Your fist collides with her face. It makes contact just a fraction of a second before you think it will. Her chair tips over and awkwardly crashes against the wall, surprisingly resilient. The noise reverberates through the restaurant, breaking through the din of mundane conversation and commercial music. Everyone turns, willing to watch the commotion but unwilling to participate. Even the few waiters and cashiers don’t move, afraid.

Why would they? Instinctually, they know. You could do much worse to them.

The victim, on the other hand, is grinning from ear to ear. As she gets up, you get a good look at her face. It’s a bit red, but otherwise looks perfectly fine. Illogically intact.

<“Aiya…”> She shakes her head, scowling as she takes a quick glance at the stunned crowd. Her words have no real bite, just the sound of slight annoyance. <“If you’re going to do that, where’s your Servant?”>

<“It’s wonderful that Caster’s concoctions weren’t smoke and mirrors after all, but I would have preferred a more challenging evaluation.”> She clicks her tongue in annoyance, but in contrast to earlier, she seems to have relaxed, the battle-ready wariness replaced by casual indifference. <“I’m not interested in you, just what you’ve summoned. If you’re going to be bothersome, couldn’t you at least do me this one courtesy?”>

Wise up!

???

END: ??? -> C (Servant, via some sort of potion?)

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    Nishi Ward - The Midnight Blue

"Important things." Lysander plays with one of the remaining grains of gold, rolling it between his finger and the counter. "One or two, yeah."

The scratch of a sliding stool signals his secession.

Lysander glances back, hands in his pockets and cigarette between his lips, as the door to the Midnight Blue shuts behind him.

"You got a nice place here. Be seeing you."

The sound of a motor starting up can be heard, followed by it becoming quieter and eventually inaudible. Thus he is gone.

Tatsu's Convenience

"I'll take these two."

"Nah, it's not for me."

"A rice ball is fine too."

Minami Ward - The Forest of Remembrance

Sticks and old animal bones crunch beneath boots. Minty smoke rises into the cool night air. The magus wanders, alone, with only the sounds and smells of the forest to keep him company.

Contrary to the name, there is little to remember about the Forest of Remembrance. If he had remembered it, he would not need to visit. It is instead the absence of memory that draws Lysander Scriberis Archemiste to wander the woods at night by his lonesome. That, and the need for privacy for a certain ritual. Yet the faint rumblings and traces of magical energy in the air, along with the general ominous feeling he's been getting, lead Lysander to conclude that he is anything but alone here. Certainly, others have thought the same thing.

No way around it, then. He'll have to do it himself.

Lysander's trudging ceases as he finds what he was looking for: a dip in the earth where an ancient earthquake had raised one section of land for form a small hill. He taps the side of the hilly section with the tip of a steel-toed boot. Tap, tap, tap. Finding what he sought, Lysander nods to himself. A beautiful metallic clang like that of a bell rings through the night. Lysander steps right into and through the earth, vanishing before the sound fades.

Minami Ward - The Forest of Remembrance - Natural Cave

The stone cave was dark and stagnant when he found it. Now air and moonlight creep in via the newly-added skylight. It is about the size of a house, large enough to comfortably live in and set up a generous workshop. Not that he'll need even a tenth of the space.

After much poking and scraping and spreading, the blood-red magical circle is drawn to scale and satisfaction, stretching across the uneven stone floor. Lysander nods in approval, and as a reward for himself he thrusts forward the forked implement in his hands, impaling a freshly opened onigiri and bearing it aloft. As he munches on rice, seaweed, and pickled plums, he flips through the binder of notes brought over from home, noting down the wording conventions and warnings for those who would undertake the ritual. He scowls. Too long. Too much pointless filler. This can be easily fixed.

When he at last feels he is ready, Lysander wipes the last grains of rice from his cheeks and snaps the binder closed. He stands, bites his thumb, and flings several droplets of blood onto the circle.

It lights up a neon red along with the sigil on the back of his hand.

"Quintus replete."

"Contractus regalis."

"Emerge ab radice."

"Corpus meum, oblatum."

"Tuum ferrum, capta."

"Jurare vincere caelum."

"Come forth, Servant."

Last edited by Bloble; May 22nd, 2022 at 11:36 PM.

JP Friend Code
    616288630 tell/pm/whatev
    Blog Entries
    The woman always looked above.

She was a woman that had reached the height of dreams; a person that has crushed and destroyed the dreams of others. Adored by many, envied by many; praises and curses have turned mute on her ears. Until the end of her life, she continued to stand on the summit, she had attained every wealth and prestige the world has to offer.

Except one. One simple thing. One mundane thing that many lesser women had attained so easily, many lesser men had given so freely, yet was absent in her glorious life.

That’s unacceptable. Even if it is something small and trivial, she will not accept an imperfection, not her. She must have it all.

Perhaps there are many with nobler intentions than her. Perhaps there are many with grander dreams than her. Perhaps there are many with more unfortunate experiences than her. Perhaps there are many with iller-will than her.

But one thing is certain: she never looks below.

Rider

The swirl of mana shines and illuminates the dark cave. She appears with her head held high. Perhaps it is a mere coincidence, but the light manages to highlight her poise and splendor as if honoring her arrival.

She gazes at the blonde man in front of her, clearly young and immature.

This must be her Master.

She can smell food, but the young man is clean, and she doesn’t see anything unclean on his clothes. He respects himself, that’s good. She then began to scan through the area, it seems she has been summoned to an untidy place, there must be a practical reason for it, that made sense.

But then she looked below his feet and noticed a few grains of rice on the floor.

"..."

She takes a step forward, looks at the young man straight to his eyes, and with no hesitation-

“Impudent fool.”

Slap the young man hard, really hard.

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries

The slap turns Lysander's head a full ninety degrees. As he straighten it out he brings the hand bearing a Command Seal to his cheek where the impact still reverberates. Undoubtedly, he has just suffered the open-handed smack of a troublesome woman.

The magus looks at said troublesome woman, straight in the eye.

The fact that his head is still on his shoulders means she was holding back. This hero right out of history has finely-styled hair, rich clothes, a noble bearing, and holds herself like royalty. She is his Servant, and every single plan and countermeasure he had made for negotiating with her has just gone flying out the non-existent window.

"Alright," he says, unperturbed by the violent introduction. "Why?"

Blog Entries
    Cuan Yugou
    Day 0 - Afternoon (2/3)
    Nishi Ward - Kikanbou Ramen-ya

Ah, wonderful. Wonderful. This is just what he was expecting. Or desiring. The confirmation of a less-than-scientific but nonetheless firmly held hypothesis. The anticipation had lain, unarticulated, a millimetre away, no further; now it is here. Wonderful. His fist "stops" a moment before making contact. The sensation is curious. A tendency sweeps through the musculature. His seated position is poor for the motorics, but it was a hard hit all the same and would have killed a normal human outright. Had it done he would have been - disappointed. Is that true? It would have meant, if nothing else, that the girl was not in any case "qualified" to do what she is doing. Truth be told: he would have enjoyed at least mildly the sight, which had also existed in anticipation (as it were side-by-side), of seeing the skull split like an egg all over the opposite wall. But this is better. This is the suggestion of a "challenge." Yes, indeed. He is being "challenged." Or rather "provoked." This knowledge, the confirmation of this knowledge, does not overturn the taste of iron, the building headache, the heat in the chest. It cancels and preserves them on a higher level. It is like being nauseous inside, in stagnant stuffy air, and stepping outside into a crisp cool breeze: one is still nauseous, of course, but the quality of things has "turned." So to speak.

Kill her? He wonders. Kill her?

It's wonderful.

An inch from her face, his closed fist. He withdraws it a little. Examines it, then her, then it again. He opens and closes his palm. He envisions - eyeblink - a face, hers, his own, the nose crushed, a vicious daub of blood slithering to the chin. The eyeblink terminates. He is still where he was. He is "in" this shit. The world suffuses foggily outward from his present location and within that fog appears, distinctly, as if for the first time, this "challenger."

And it brings a smile to his face.

<"I’m not interested in you, just what you’ve summoned.">"
    <"Bullshit."> He murmurs this. He does not care if she hears it. Then he raises a finger. One moment. He turns around in his seat. Catches sight of the gawking restaurant patrons. A vague knowledge permeates the room.

<"The fuck-"> Excuse me. "The fuck are you looking at?" And wouldn't you know it, having been asked, the bulk of them find themselves unable to answer. The answer dissolves in being demanded. They prefer not to see than to exert themselves in knowing what it is they're seeing. But, in any case, to one side of the room stands a paralysed waiter. Cuan Yugou addresses him. Personally. Leaving no ambiguity. "Hey."

The waiter, almost against his own better judgement, gives some acknowledgement.

"The black pepper beef. Large bowl. And the house sake. Two bottles." He snaps his fingers. Whip-crack. "Now." The waiter nods meekly and vanishes.

Smash cut back to the girl.

<"...do me this one courtesy?">
    Deep breath. Deep sigh. Exhale.

<"No. No, I could not. I am not courteous. Courtesy you will not have. Not from me. I am not paid enough. The truth you will have. I have obtained several important pieces of information from that just now. One of them is this. The truth is the very furthest thing from your being uninterested in me. The truth is that you are in this situation by choice. The truth is that this is, here, calculated challenge. A challenge I have met. If you are anything like as I suspect you felt my "presence" half a mile off. Your ghost, which is nearby, whispered in your ear. You saw me approach. You know very well I haven't "summoned." And yet you are still here. You perhaps have a notion that you'll kill me here. You will try. But that does not help you. "Rationally" speaking there is no point in killing me prior to "summoning." Because the slot would remain open and someone else would "summon" in my place. Therefore if my "summon" were your true interest - I conclude - there would be no reason for you to remain here. Yet you have remained. Therefore. One of two possibilities. You are here to kill me anyway for whatever reason, I don't care. Or. You are here to talk with me. Choose one or the other. Choose now. I came here for lunch, me, here, now, in an ordinary way, and I find you, here, now, like a pothole in the fucking road and I see that I must deal with you sooner or later and I would prefer it sooner and I would prefer it ugly and uncourteous and with a minimum of cat-and-mouse. I will not entertain your bullshit one second longer than I have to. If you are going to make me an offer then make it now. If you are going to try and kill me eventually then try it now. Just try it. Because you know, and I'm sure you know this, that it makes no difference to me if I've "summoned" or not. No difference - what, so, ever.">

Cuan Yugou reclines back in his chair - a distinct creak as it adjusts.

<"Now choose.">
    かん
    ぎゅう
    じゅう
    とう

Expresses the exceeding size of one's library.
    Books are extremely many, loaded on an oxcart the ox will sweat.
    At home piled to the ridgepole of the house, from this meaning.
    Read out as 「Ushi ni ase shi, munagi ni mitsu.」
    Source: 柳宗元「其為書,處則充棟宇,出則汗牛馬。」— Tang Dynasty

JP Friend Code
    616288630 tell/pm/whatev
    Blog Entries
    Rider

"Hoooh," the young man's unfazed reaction makes her whistle.

It's true that she doesn't exercise her Servant strength, it was only as strong as a normal woman of her size could muster. The reason why she doesn't use it was never about holding back, but because what she wanted to attack was his pride. And yet, the young man is able to withstand it both physically and emotionally, not letting a sign of weakness toward her antagonistic behavior.

"Impressive," she is not a person that will shy away to praise those who earn it.

Quote Originally Posted by impudent young man
    "Alright, why?"
    "Normally, the fact you don't understand what you did wrong is an offense in itself but I will let it slide."

She put the very same right hand used to slap him on her hip, while her head tilts slightly.

“I do not care about your rude way of summoning me, neither does this filthy place offend me. I came here to kill dozens of competitors, it never going to be an honorable and clean occasion.”

She begins to move away from the young man and once again inspect the floor of the cave. Once again, she saw some grains of rice, how unsightly. She rolled up her imperial dress made of the finest fabric and began to pick up all of them with her bare hand, undisturbed from the mud that may smear her.

“But this cave will be our base, our home, the most sacred place of all. It is a place where no one can complain about whatever you want to do. You can decorate anything you like and throw away anything you dislike; it is a reflection of your value. To let filths and crumbs scattered around your home is a sign of lack of love toward yourself."

With all the crumbs collected on her left hand, she took it outside and put it away near the entrance of the cave. The place is now clean from human mistakes.

"I can tell. You are here for someone else, isn’t it?"
    Last edited by Spartacus; May 24th, 2022 at 12:19 AM.