Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kara no Kyoukai - the Garden of Sinners volume 2 translation

Kara no Kyoukai - the Garden of Sinners volume 2 translation

Good day everyone.

I am translating the Kara no Kyoukai the Garden of Sinners novels from where the old translation group on BakaTsuki left off in the middle book, part 5, Paradox Spiral. Proofreading has been done with help from the Kara no Kyoukai discord. We will be updating weekly to semi weekly until we get through the rest of the series, so please revisit from time to time to follow along.

I hope you all enjoy.

-an admirer of Shiki

5/Paradox Spiral, Lower
    /12 (Spiral Paradox, 9)

Spoiler:

Kara no Kyoukai: the Garden of Sinners
    By: Kinoko Nasu
    Translation: An Admirer of Shiki
    Proofreading: GreatGamer and KCold

5/Paradox Spiral, Lower
    /12 (Spiral Paradox, 9)

The spiral shaped tower was bathed in the red sun.
    Amidst the world drawn close to the orange sunset, Aozaki Touko stepped onto the premises of the high-rise condominium.
    The young woman wore a brown lizard skin colored long leather coat that did not suit the thin frame of her body. More so than clothing, the overcoat resembled armor in its appearance.
    The young woman looked up at the apartment house not more than once, as she walked toward the high-rise structure while carrying an orange-colored bag in one hand.
    Passing through the green lawn covered garden, she entered the interior of the apartment complex.
    As expected, the glass walled lobby was dyed in the red sunlight. The floor and walls, as well as the pillar housing the elevator to the floors above, were all red like the sun.
    After brief consideration, the young woman turned around and changed her direction of travel.
    Not toward the elevator, instead walking the east side of the lobby. . . the mansion was divided into two sections, one east and one west.
    The young woman turned toward the eastern first floor lobby.
    The lobby was wide and rectangular.
    The stairwell to the second floor led to an area resembling a grand reception hall. Having already entered the interior of the building, the orange color of the sunset gave way to the yellowish interior lighting that illuminated the marble floors.
    “I’m surprised. Quite impetuous, for you.”
    The unusually high pitched voice of a man echoed throughout the lobby.
    Without answering, Touko lifted her gaze along the gentle slope of the staircase leading to the second floor. Along that slop stood the figure of a man clad in a red coat.
    “However, that is quite the joyful surprise. Welcome, to my Gehenna. I welcome you, the pride of all puppeteers.”
    Mage Cornelius Alba laughed joyfully and theatrically bowed in greeting.

“Gehenna?”
    “Indeed. Here is where the burning altar of the Valley of Hinnom reemerges. The burning bodies of the masses, their dying, their suffering and sense of despair, all gathered here like embers in a furnace. Though unfortunately King Moloch is not here, this place is quite splendid is it not? The rules and laws of the outside world do not apply to this other worldly sanctuary. The preparations for the opening of this path have been put into motion, Aozaki.”
    Fluidly did the red mage speak as he eyed Touko from above.
    In contrast to the cheerful young man, the young woman replied in a deadpan voice.
    “Such talk is rude to the descendants of those hailing from Agrippa and Judea. With that attitude, you are clearly not aware of the true nature of this place. Hell? That sort of place exists all over the world. If you want to see the slaughter known already to man, then just go to a warzone. If you wanna see death so bad, then just go to a country suffering from a famine. This kind of place is nothing like Hell. This kind of place? Just a purgatory.”
    As she said this, the woman placed her bag on the floor.
    A dull thud rang out.
    “The souls of those who committed petty sins go here to suffer when they can enter neither Heaven nor Hell. That is this place’s true form. Just a place for needless suffering. A cycle of endless suffering. Such a thing is not very mage like of a result –at least not for an outsider such as yourself”
    Like a stabbing thrust, the words drew a twitch from the red mage’s countenance. As if looking straight through the young man who stood on the staircase, Touko’s eyes narrowed as she seemed to focus on the building itself. “Is the yin-yang symbol and embodiment of minds such as the likes of you? Just get Araya out here already. I’d rather not waste time talking with your ugly mug. I don’t know what it is you want, but what’s going on here is nothing a simpleton like you would understand. Consider this a friendly warning.
    With that said, Touko took a look around her surroundings. Thus did Touko ignore the red mage who stood across from her and searched instead for her true opponent.
    The mage stared fixedly at that her silhouette.
    As if about to shed tears, his eyes welled up with murderous intent.
    “You are always like that!”
    The mumbled words leaked out of his lips like liquid.
    “That’s right. Always like that. Just like you to belittle me. It was I who specialized in runes before you. I was also once famous in the art of doll making. Even so, with that attitude of yours you were able to trick all of those low brow imbeciles. You who would belittle me, and then make those small minded people act superior to me. If they could just think they would understand. I am the next leader of Spanheimer you know! I have studied the art of magic for over fourteen years! So why would someone like me not be above a mere woman in her twenties?”
    At some point his murmuring became a cry of anguish that filled the entire lobby.
    Despite the change in tone, Touko glanced disinterestedly at the mage, as if still ignoring him.
    "Academic success is not determined by age. Though you are good at dressing up like a youngster, Cornelius. Letting yourself obsess over the accomplishments of others, it’s no wonder you can’t make any real progress.”
    Though she spoke in a calm voice, her statement came across as the most caustic of insults.
    The mage was in actuality a man in his fifties, though with the face of a youth. This face now contorted with hatred.
    “I have not yet stated my objective, have I?”
    Suddenly assuming a calm demeanor, the red mage resumed his prior line of speaking.
    “Personally, I have no interest in Araya’s experiments. I have no interest in the root of all things. Chasing after something we do not even know exists, nonsense. To touch the territory of God, you may as well be a gnostic. I have no desire to go against the grain.”
    The man took one step back. As if going up to the second floor, he ascended a few steps.
    “My judgement is that you know more about Ryougi Shiki. Araya cast aside his life in order to grasp Shiki. It’s a draw between the both of you. For that reason, this field has become mine. However, I have no intention of continuing his experiments. Is it not obvious? You know, Aozaki. I have come to this backwater hinterland with the sole purpose of killing you!”
    Laughing with a voice high pitched enough to shatter his vocal cords, the mage ran up the staircase. As the mage made his way to the second story, the young woman could only watch him speechlessly. . .The first floor lobby became full with the evil of the mage’s spite incarnated.
    It was then that a retort of greater virility than anything she had said previously escaped her lips.
    “What are these, slimes?”
    Aozaki Touko directed such a phrase at the other worldly creatures swarming around her.
    However, the monsters that oozed out of the lobby’s outer walls were not such simple creatures. Cream colored liquid oozed out of the walls and rapidly took form into larger shapes.
    Those shapes were the forms of both people and monsters. Their husks, though covered in scars, appeared to continuously regenerate into ghastly flesh. More unsightly was the overall disfigured shape of the rotting flesh these humans and monsters carried on their frames that easily manifested in spite of their awkwardness.
    “With all you incarnation abilities this is the best you can do? Alba, forget about magecraft, why not try being a movie director? I bet you could make a monster flick on a pretty tight budget with the creature fare here. Really you would be better suited trying your hand at horror movies than being a leader of Spanheimer you know.”
    Surrounded on all sides by the monsters occupying the max capacity of the lobby as she was, the young woman offered these complaints.
    Certainly, the scene unfolding did look like one from a horror film. Though it appeared that neither Crucifix nor shotgun would be have any effect.
    Despite the fact that she was now surrounded by the monsters she called slimes with only approximately a one meter radius around her to spare, she calmly reached into her inner coat pocket without lifting even an eyebrow.
    …With a short click of the tongue, Touko regretted passing off her cigarettes to Mikiya. If it was just for this, she could have gotten away with Japanese made cigarettes, she though angerly to herself. The young woman had not considered being confronted with such a mundane situation after all. For this, not having cigarettes was something she could not bear.
    “Actually you wouldn’t even be able to be a director. You would suck too much as a staging anything. If this is the best you can do, you wouldn’t please anybody in the audience. It can’t be helped really. Let me show you a trick or two, Alba. If you want to engrave an inscription, you had better be able to at least do this.”
    With a thud the woman kicked the leather bag still sitting at her toes.
    “Go.”
    The command left no room for disagreement and had a dignified tone.
    In response the bag seemed to open on its own. In an instant, what was once in the bag seemed to vanish. At the same time, a black form spiraled around Touko the mage.
    It has a body like a typhoon. A typhoon that raged in circles around Touko.
    That storm had an insane force.
    Hardly a second had elapsed before the lobby was devoid of the creatures that once covered its floorspace. Only Touko and her bag, now snapped shut, remained. That, and a black cat that now sat at her feet.
    “—huh?”
    Alba could only look on at the scene in amazement, as if in a trance.
    The cat was bigger than Touko. Its body was pure black, but did seem to have any thickness. The cat’s fur appeared like shadows. Rather than a cat, the form seemed merely to hold the silhouette of a cat and face that resembled the Egyptian hieroglyphs.
    “What is that—thing?”
    The man looked down from the second floor at the cat.
    For a moment his gaze met with that of the cat’s painting like eyes. Though not a human, the cat seemed to smile back at him.
    As if waking up from a nightmare, Alba gulped.
    Touko did not say anything.
    From somewhere there rang a buzzing noise.
    “This isn’t what we discussed! You’re using an imitation of your sister’s familiar?!”
    Alba could no longer remain quiet and let out a complaint more like a cry of anger.
    With hardly a shrug, Touko gave only a half reply and shifted her gaze back to the black cat.
    “I guess I made you eat something nasty. However, your next meal will hopefully taste a little better. Not just a lump of ether, but an actual human made of flesh. You already have enough of the incorporeal. And don’t hold back just because he’s a former classmate of mine. He was always quite the persistent one you know. In other words, just some small fry you can prey on.”
    Suddenly black cat sprang forth.
    As if sliding across the marble floor, the black cat sprinted up the staircase.
    …yet even saying this, the cat’s feet did not move. The silhouette of the cat reverted to a sitting position while only the eyes seemed to shift as the shape continued forward toward the red coated human. It would not have taken ten seconds to reach the second floor landing from where Touko stood in the lobby.
    However, Alba was no ordinary human.
    He was a mage.

Go away the shadow. It is impossible to touch the things which are not visible. Forget the darkness. It is impossible to see the things which are not touched.
    The question is prohibited. The answer is simple.
    I have the flame in the left hand. And I have everything in the right hand—

Calmly, though he was near his limit, Alba muttered the incantation. As far as magecraft went, the curse was unique to Alba. A spell that could bring forth a storm. Similar to a certain weapon, the spell had a powerful ability. No matter how many times he used it, the spell’s power did not change. Only the composition of the song changed. The song existed to bring forth the energy latent to the mage’s body in a form consistent with the mage’s true nature. Based on the words in the spell, one could intuit that the incantation was based on a famous mage’s magic.
    With an exaggerated and theatric gesture, the self absorbed mage’s incantation continued on. Though long, the spells power did not diminish. To the extent that Alba altered the spell in anyway, it was to the benefit of the spell’s power.
    From an objective standpoint, Alba excelled at his ability to extract power. Rather than excessively long, the spell was imbued with his powerful magic abilities and was recited in under two seconds, despite encompassing more than the bare minimum words necessary.
    Touko at least acknowledged that much with a brief glance.
    Alba, though he did so in a long winded and showy way, indeed demonstrated that he had improved his magic abilities somewhat. The speed with which he pronounced the curse and the methods by which he constructed the spell showed a surprising amount of skill. No doubt, his magic was first rate in its ability to destroy simple things.
    “I am the order. Therefore, you will be defeated securely--!”
    Alba thrust both arms out as he said this.
    The moment the black cat seemed to reach the first step of the staircase, there was a faint vibration in the atmosphere—the staircase erupted into flames.
    Like a mirage rising up from the ground, a sea of blue flames engulfed the stairs.
    In only a few seconds, the flames engulfed the atrium all the way up to the second floor.
    It was as if a volcanic geyser had erupted. The sea of flame that seemed to consume all oxygen in the lobby incinerated the black cat, this much was certain. The heat of the flames which exceeded temperatures of 1000 degrees Celsius would have melted the bodies of any creature like butter and evaporated their mass into the atmosphere. The transfer skipped the liquification process like a sentence with no comma.
    And yet, Alba saw the unexpected.
    As the flames receded, all of the sudden, the shape of the black cat became dreadfully recognizable.
    “—This cannot be!”
    His blue eyes stared fixedly at the stairs.
    The slightly opaque shape of the cat sat licking at its own “fur” before shifting its gaze at the red coated mage with a flick of its eyes.
    The black monster resumed its dash.
    Alba wasted no time observing further.
    “Repeat…!”
    Like a shot in the dark, Alba repeated his curse.
    The stairs erupted into flames, however this time the cat did not stop. As if used to the flames, the cat continued in a straight line toward the mage.
    “Repeat…!”
    The sea of flames erupted again, then disappeared.
    The cat had already arrived at the top of the stairs.
    “Repeat..!”
    The fourth iteration of flames ended meaninglessly.
    The black cat arrived at the second floor landing and opened its jaws wide as it drew near to Alba.
    It’s body larger than a man’s, the cat pounced with all its strength. Its head opened as if on a hinge like the lid of a treasure chest. Without any density, the inside of the cat that should have been smooth, was instead filled with the monsters it had swallowed and now resembled mud covered ruins at the bottom of a natural basin.
    Finally, Alba became aware of the reality before him. What resembled a cat was in fact just a giant mouth.
    “Repeat--!”
    He uttered this last spell with the fear of one staring directly into the jaws of death.
    The cat’s mouth, like the jaws of a shark, slammed shut around the mage before he could finish this last spell. Alba lost consciousness as his red coated figure was encompassed by the round sphere-like form.

CLICK HERE for next segment of 12 (Spiral Paradox, 9) pages 330-342

CLICK HERE for next segment of 12 (Spiral Paradox, 9) pages 342-349

CLICK HERE for next segment of 12 (Spiral Paradox, 9) pages 349-357

CLICK HERE for the last segment of 12 (Spiral Paradox, 9) pages 357-64

CLICK HERE for the first segment of 13 (Paradox Spiral, 6) pages 364-74

CLICK HERE for the next segment of 13 (Paradox Spiral, 6) pages 374-90

CLICK HERE for the next segment of 13 (Paradox Spiral, 6) pages 390-96

CLICK HERE for part 14 (Paradox Spiral, 6) pages 397-403

CLICK HERE for part 14 (Paradox Spiral, 6) pages 403-414
    Last edited by ShikiRyougiAdmirer; May 28th, 2022 at 10:45 PM.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Good luck. It's been a long time coming. What's 中 in the title meant to stand for? That you're starting in the middle of it?

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I'm assuming it's from the
    Volume 1
    <上>
    Volume 2
    <中>
    Volume 3
    <下>
    format.

Quote Originally Posted by Petrikow View Post
    Good luck. It's been a long time coming. What's 中 in the title meant to stand for? That you're starting in the middle of it?
    absolutely, now we can finally read KNK properly like we were supposed to before the great del rey curse

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Petrikow View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    I'm assuming it's from the
    Volume 1
    <上>
    Volume 2
    <中>
    Volume 3
    <下>
    format.
    Indeed, the titles of the first three books include "above," "middle," and "below." In Japanese these words are used to refer to the "
    top of a page," middle of the page," and "bottom of the page" respectively, so its as if all three books are being presented at once. Its a pretty cool naming scheme if you ask me. But for out purposes they basically correspond to book 1-3.

that reminds, there's a hardcover version (空の境界 the Garden of sinners 20周年記念版) of the novels I'll eventually get but it's divided just into 上 and 下, does somebody know how the chapters are split between them?

also good luck
    Last edited by Crown; January 16th, 2022 at 01:43 AM.

Blog Entries
    Godspeed and good luck

Nice , Good luck man.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ShikiRyougiAdmirer View Post
    In Japanese these words are used to refer to the "top of a page," middle of the page," and "bottom of the page" respectively, so its as if all three books are being presented at once. Its a pretty cool naming scheme if you ask me. But for out purposes they basically correspond to book 1-3.
    There's not really the reason. The most common interpretation is that when books are piled up you start reading from the one that's on the top of the pile, but it's difficult to ascertain for sure because the 上下巻 formatting goes all the way back to the Kojiki. But the reason why it's the commercial standard nowadays is that when someone sees an 1巻 they immediately assumed the series will have more than 4 volumes and hesitate to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    There's not really the reason. The most common interpretation is that when books are piled up you start reading from the one that's on the top of the pile, but it's difficult to ascertain for sure because the 上下巻 formatting goes all the way back to the Kojiki. But the reason why it's the commercial standard nowadays is that when someone sees an 1巻 they immediately assumed the series will have more than 4 volumes and hesitate to buy.
    I did not know that! The only other light novel series I've read have all been numbered.

Wait so KnK isnt even numbered

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Depends on the languague. In English they're numbered because trilogies are always numbered. In Japanese they're not because not numbering trilogies is the default format.

Isnt knk 7 stories or is the books contain multiple

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    The 2001 and 2004 releases:
    - Volume 1: Story 1 to half of story 5.
    - Volume 2: Half of story 5 to epilogue.

The 2007 release:
    - Volume 1: Story 1 to story 3.
    - Volume 2: Story 4 to story 5.
    - Volume 3: Story 6 to epilogue.

Each book has multiple of the stories. One release is only 2 books, the one I have (the 2018? limited edition) is 3 books. The first one (上) has 5 chapters: Overlooking View, Study in Murder (part 1), Remaining Sense of Pain, Hollow Shrine, 境界式 (as sort of an intermission), and Paradox Spiral. Then the second book (下) has a continuation of Paradox Spiral, into Oblivion Recording, another 境界式, Study in Murder (part 2), and finally the epilogue. The last book that comes with this edition (has no kanji denomination) has Mirai Fukuin and Garden of Oblivion.

Basically, it differs between which release you have, but it's never one book with 7(+) chapters, and it's never 7 different books (with the extras spread out). It's almost always 2 or 3, whether it includes the side stories or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Ugh cokesakto no no no
    Quote Originally Posted by Neir View Post
    your ability to be wrong about literally everything you post is truly astounding. Even a broken clock is right twice a day, but you haven't been right once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kateikyo View Post
    The gay pics were the most entertaining thing going on in this discussion.

A few notes for your reference:

Araya refers to Fugu, Kangou, Dakatsu, Taiten, Chougyou, Ouken, which are Negativity, vajra, serpent, one’s early existence under heaven, a Buddhist sutra, and an ancient Chinese kingdom respectively. These are the names of the barriers he summons.

64 is a very sacred number in Chinese cosmology, since it is a factor of 8.
    You have the binary system of yin yang lines that form the 64 images which later were made into the "ba gua" by daoists
    And are highly relevant to Feng Shui geomancy, and TCM
    5 and 8 also have independent significance in Buddhism
    But before Buddhism ever made its way to china there was also the 5 element cycle
    Chan Buddists, often called Zen Buddhists, basically appropriated Chinese numerology to flesh out Buddhism
    This later made its way to Japan of course and Korea

Spoiler
    Kara no Kyoukai: the Garden of Sinners
    By: Kinoko Nasu
    Translation: An Admirer of Shiki
    Proofreading: GreatGamer and Kcold

5/Paradox Spiral, Lower
    /12 (Spiral Paradox, 9)

“…Ouken”
    Suddenly, a short Chinese rhyme was sung out.
    The cat paused from it’s devouring of Alba’s body.
    The voice seemed to be directed toward Touko, as if observing her from above.
    From behind Alba there was a man.
    He bore a facial expression showing a tormented past and wore a black overcoat.
    Though no trace gave away his existence prior, he appeared so naturally as if having been there the entire time.
    The man in black grabbed Alba with both hands and effortlessly pulled him from the jaws of the cat and dumped him on the floor. The cat was caught in one of the three barriers that the man in black brought with him and thus could not longer move.
    The man turned toward the young woman. The air within the lobby shifted instantaneously. It was if the atmosphere itself had frozen.
    The relaxed feeling of just a short while ago vanished. The mansion itself seemed to tense up with the return of its’ true master.
    “It’s been a long time, Touko.”
    “Ah, likewise, though I didn’t actually want to meet you.”
    The first floor and the second floor became the divide between heaven and earth. Touko stood opposite of the ringleader named Souren Araya.
    “It seems Alba took on more than he could handle. There is naught that could be done since it seems that you acquired all kinds of experience since last we were all together. I prepared the bodies of 64 people all by myself. And yet you appeared in this town by coincidence. It must have been an inevitability.”
    “I don’t know where you got that conclusion from, but yes, it would appear so. Rather than a coincidence, perhaps it is a secret mystery. An intentional coincidence intended to cover up some unknown law is what comes to my mind.”
    Touko gave this answer as she withdrew closer to the wall.
    This opponent was of a completely different level than Alba. Though in terms of ability they may be equal, Araya Souren was the sole master of this building and thus exceeded all. Seeking protection by putting her back against the wall, she was conscious only of what was in front of her. After all, to focus on anything else would risk leaving an opening.
    “So, why did you set up this apartment complex? Don’t tell me you just wanted a box of people living and dying. There isn’t much point in trying to gather souls as they explode out of a drying body. “We already came to that conclusion hundreds of years ago. Even if you were to gather hundreds of departed souls, you’ll never reach your goal.”
    “Certainly. However, there is a reality of which you are unaware. Indeed, I have only apprehended a few hundred deaths. Through experiencing thousands of lives and deaths, I believed that the Root could be reached. However, I was not able to arrive at this, the beginning of all things. Instead I arrived only at that human’s origin. I was not able to arrive at the apex of that wholistic thing that underlies everything else. The quantity of death is not an essential property. It is the quality of death. There is a distinction between the varieties of death that set each apart from another. Dissecting the possibilities of death into every route possible, I arrived at the 64 possibilities present here. Here I have gathered the people who shoulder those varieties of death. Saying so, here is a microcosm of all the world. By experiencing their suffering, I am able to comprehend their suffering. I am able to simplify the eight divine signs into four simple forms and arrive at Ryougi, the two meanings.
    “Huh, so that is what you are after Araya. Not just dividing light and darkness into opposition, but actually dissecting matters down into their attributes. Bringing everything back into oneness. That’s why you want to first categorize everything. That is the one thing you won’t let go. Examining the deaths of so many people, painstakingly researching each consciousness. In that regard you’re a collector. You want to take custody of the birth and passing of even me, Touko Aozaki, right? You might reduce the value of everyone to such a thing, but that is like trying to get to heaven without first fighting your way through even one of the six domains of the desire realm. To you the bodies of humans are nothing more than a supply of death, a never-ending Hell.”
    “Then let it be so. Whether Heaven or Hell, so long as I am closer to that which lies beneath, it matters not.”
    There was no hesitation behind Araya’s words.
    His world contained only self-confidence, a strong conclusion born of his conscious. Within the building a spiral repeated itself, a whirlpool of humanities’ experience with death’s base form. The building inherited the records of death manufactured by Souren Araya. That was the existence of Souren Araya.
    “So, now I am inside of this guy’s body huh.”
    Murmuring this, Touko observed the atmosphere within the lobby. It did not have the air of things that existed solely for Araya’s machinations. Rather the hostile voices of those who were killed within the building’s premises seemed to linger in opposition. Their hatred toward Araya, and even toward Touko, was amplified by the day. Araya’s words only magnified the virulence of their resentment. No matter how many hundreds of times they died, each could only die the same way in the end.
    Deaths of love, inseparable family, lovers, mothers, fathers, children.
    Deaths of increasing evil, inseparable family, lovers, mothers, fathers, children.
    Various reasons, various ways of dying.
    Repeating everyday, but every day the same certain end.
    Intense death.
    This building was cursed.
    They were all brought by Souren Araya to the sacrificial alter. Not just for the purpose of performing high level magic, but for act itself of sacrificing their lives and bodies. Souren Araya was crafting high-grade magic not with the sacrificial contents, but rather the act of sacrifice catalyzed by the sanctuary of the apartment complex.. The mystery of that which was received from the other world was no longer of solely of the territory of mage craft.
    What was taking place here was indeed the territory of mystery that transcends the everyday.
    That which could only be arts prohibited from human grasp, a form of sorcery.
    “Will this open the path to the Root? But how? Even without sticking to the form of magecraft and without leaving proof that he himself was a mage, he wouldn’t be able to deceive the will of man. It’s true that this building would be able to open a path. That’s because of the Taijitu after all, it could definitely make a hole. Through such a hole the Guardian of Humanity could come through. We could never be able to be a match for such a figure.”
    “Too late for the Counter Force, it is already working. You are living in this town. Without any reason and solely by coincidence you took in a thieving man. A girl who met a mage with no past in this area. Even though my work was halted through this, the third attempt now yields results. However that is as far as it has gone. I am not able to draw any closer to the Root. I will not let the past mistakes be for naught. Regardless of the Counter Force, I seek to open the path, that eye shall not be deceived. Eventually the Counter Force may challenge my arrangements, that has excessive power that can appear. The conclusion is singular. For me, there was no special talent.”
    For the first time, emotion crept into the rhythm of his voice.
    The black clad man directed his gaze at the mage who stood below him.
    “Until now resistance has impeded the path. That is not the strength of a mere human, a course of action that when relied upon returns to us to nothing.
    When human individuality is complete, the meaning of existence disappears. We can still leave this world of suffering. Yet even so the masses of humans wish only to continue on living in ignorance. All humans, conscious only of their isolated existence on this point in time, lower than beasts. For the sake of mere existence, they forsake existing with any meaning. Humanity’s beginnings were of this paradox.
    Now then, why do those who have reached the Root exist? The answer is simple. Those who would have reached the Root, in the end, they became beings of the heavenly realm. Such is what talent is. To have lived. Humans who from the time they were born were already attached to the Root. Complicating things further, increasing the number of varieties, humanity has strayed too far from the Root and rarely is anyone born with a connection to the Root. And then while only looking for the Root—Even though I found this way, it took me ten years.”
    “Right. So now you want to destroy Shiki Ryougi.”
    The young woman’s eyes narrowed.
    Shiki Ryougi. The Ryougi family has produced people of multiplicity for generations, like human shaped containers housing multiple beings. Rather than a container, perhaps “____” is more appropriate. Without minding how dangerous to the individual such phenomena are, the “____” named Shiki was born.
    “And so you used Kirie Fujou and Fujino Asagami? Your work was noticed by the Counter Force. Even if only indirectly, your existence depends on you snuffing out Shiki before your stench attracts unwanted attention. Am I wrong? When a killer who has the opposite ideals from Shiki thrashes about so, it’s no wonder Shiki is able to notice someone with murderous impulses. It’s always faster to learn things the hard way, isn’t it?
    And so here we are. What exactly is it that you want, Araya? Are you trying to be something that can consume Shiki and SHIKI? Or are you just fixated on meeting Shiki Ryougi?”
    “. . . Twenty years ago I appeared because of Shiki Ryougi. However, the present condition is different. The conclusion has already appeared. I said so did I not? Shiki does not need that corporeal body. I will accept the body that can reach the Root.”
    Speaking majestically, he turned to direct his words toward Touko. Her mind blanked as she understood in the moment his words.
    “Don’t tell me, you intend to transfer your own mind into Shiki’s body?”
    Toward Touko’s expression of surprise, Araya gave no answer. Without going to the trouble of speaking, Araya shot a look of contempt back at her.
    “Well, you are just going leave that body of yours as is as long as Shiki’s is alright. Out of curiosity, do you plan on giving Shiki back?”
    “If that’s what you desire then do as you please.”
    “Oh? So it comes down to fighting in the end huh? Jeez, I’m not really one predisposed toward combat though. It's really just a nuisance.”
    “Then allow me to ask out of curiosity as well, Aozaki. Would you consider collaborating?”
    Even saying so, Araya conveyed a threatening presence through his hostile glare.
    Touko answered.
    Leaning back slightly and peering back at him with amber colored pupils, she gave him an absolute nay.
    “I see, how unfortunate. I was correct in my evaluation of you. Together we are competing to reach the Root. Truthfully, I thought we had an affinity.”
    With a thud, Araya took a step forward.
    As if to draw closer to the staircase leading to the first floor.
    “At that academy, you alone were apart from the crowd. I modeled the soul. You aimed for the body of flesh. You arrived at your objective before me, I have confirmed this.
    For what purpose did I study, for what purpose did I exert effort? What was saved, what was the purpose of making pilgrimages?”
    The black mage bellowed.
    Quietly, without any change in attitude, his eyes burned with resentment.
    In response to that, Touko answered.
    “There was no reason in particular. It would be a headache to go into all the tiring details. We are straying from what we were studying. The Root is the same. Even if one is ignorant of the elements, if one does not know they are ignorant then there is no point.
    It’s the same for you. I accept this and you choose not accept this. That’s all it is, but it is a decisive difference.”
    Araya stone facedly accepted the sad confession.
    Their lines of sight collided simultaneously.
    Touko said to Araya. The true character of mages, balanced between brilliance and madness.
    Araya said to Touko. The true character of mages, to ascend to the highest plain of knowledge possible.
    “You’ve fallen.”
    Curtly, yet emotionally, the man spoke.
    “Then what are you aiming for? For what purpose do you stand there?”
    “. . .That’s right. The reason I am here, is hardly a reason at all. I’m not actually very concerned with Shiki. Nothing can actually replicate that Black Box of a body.””
    Indeed, Touko had no precise reason. Perhaps without fulling intending too, both she and Shiki herself were pushing back against the Counter Force.
    However, even that being the case should not matter. Right now one with Touko Aozaki’s personality was receiving. In this environment, no matter how many miracles and coincidences piled up, she knew that such an opportunity would never again arise. For example, this paradox were to repeat after starting in the apartment complex, no differences in the lifestyle would ever materialize.
    Therefore, the conversation was just about defending what one could.
    “You really have fallen. I feel like you are getting lower and lower. Araya. My favorite great figure is the immortal mountain hermit. Even though he has power surpassing all else, he just keeps to himself on a mountain. . . For me, someone who is full of too many things, the day we will reach it will never come. I’ve always thought so.
    You know, Araya. Mages live fast. For what reason? If for themselves, then they would be isolated from the outside world. So why isn’t this the case? Why are they dependent on the outside world? What is that power called? What mysterious power will be our salvation? If so, then rather than a mage, why not become a king?
    You say that people are dirty, yet you yourself cant even live like that. Unsightly how you know it’s fruitless yet do nothing but approve of it. You think yourself special, but can’t exist without thinking you are the only one who can save this old earth.
    And that is what I think of you. But there is no point to that. Accept it Araya. We are weaker than anyone and that is why we were chosen to surpass others.”
    The mage did not answer.
    He took one step, and then another, toward the staircase.
    “. . . The way to the Root has already opened to me. In a few more seconds my wishes will come true. Anything that gets in my way, will be discarded by the Counter Force. Aozaki. You as well are but a mere human.”
    The atmosphere within the lobby became strained. Freezing like ice, the air became pressurized with the uneasiness of mages intending to kill one another.
    Amidst this, the young woman looked from afar at her former compatriot.
    The long conversation to tie up loose ends from their long years apart was now over.
    Finally, the young woman, as Touko Aozaki the mage asked Souren Araya.
    “Araya, what is it you seek?”
    “True Wisdom.”
    “Araya, Why do you seek it?”
    “Just because, I have nothing inside me.”
    Without hesitation the man answered.
    The foot steps stopped at the landing of the staircase.
    To eliminate the other’s existence from this world, they began their deadly course of action.
    Last edited by ShikiRyougiAdmirer; January 24th, 2022 at 09:41 PM.

Mesopotamia's King Gilgamesh_maximaster's Avatar
    Mesopotamia's Throne(Vińa del mar, chile)
    there was not completed? or was a difference between them? I though All chapters of KnK were Translated

Quote Originally Posted by Gilgamesh_maximaster View Post
    there was not completed? or was a difference between them? I though All chapters of KnK were Translated
    The completed Kara no kyoukai TL is essentially with lots of addition and reduction through what the translator deems to be changed.
    To put into perspective, it's just to be a localisation

Mesopotamia's King Gilgamesh_maximaster's Avatar
    Mesopotamia's Throne(Vińa del mar, chile)
    Quote Originally Posted by Takashi View Post
    The completed Kara no kyoukai TL is essentially with lots of addition and reduction through what the translator deems to be changed.
    To put into perspective, it's just to be a localisation
    Oh, I see thanks