Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Fate/Anarchy: Shattered Paths

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle
    This a rewrite of the original omake? Looks like, but it's a pretty serious rewrite. It remains quite crack. Leaning on the fourth wall even more than the original, which I thought would be hard.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbitrarity View Post
    This a rewrite of the original omake? Looks like, but it's a pretty serious rewrite. It remains quite crack. Leaning on the fourth wall even more than the original, which I thought would be hard.
    EMIYA was quite well forewarned.

Getting Kieran to facepalm over Team Rocket being meta was entertaining, though, as you can tell.

As for Team Rocket? They're apparently notorious for being able to tell when they're in a movie, or some other situation... so making sure they were in character, and things rhymed a bit, was the hard part about things.
    I'm starting to suspect that talking with Kieran influences my rolls on Fate/Grand Order Heavily. How else can you explain me talking with him, then rolling for 30, only to get 3 Archer of Shinjuku on my second ten roll?

I write like Douglas Adams. Proof: http://iwl.me/s/696f37bd

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Chapter 5: Breaking the Game (With Science!)

“A Lion’s Mane Mushroom Steak?” Monika blinks, staring at her character’s food in consternation. “I’m pretty sure we didn’t buy anything like that.”

“I asked the nice doll lady, the Plain Doll, to pick one up.” Erik admits, typing in his reply. “She actually went out for the materials… somehow. There’s also some different treats in the oven for you both to enjoy.”

“Treats? Like what?” Sayori groggily asks.

“Ever tried an apple fritter before? It’s a tasty apple pastry with a nice glaze.” Erik types in as a reply. “Rather sweet, but I thought it would be better than me trying another attempt at ratatouille with real rat meat involved, or something similar.”

“I… the first part sounds delicious, but why even make that last one?” Monika asks, disgust warring with curiosity on her sprite’s face.

Ahh. Finally, back on track. And he’s talking with her again, too!
    “It involved being near Dark Elves in Svartalfheim and me needing to figure out something for dinner, with my wife, our cook not up for much. I wanted to treat her, she wound up french kissing me for hours afterwards because I cared enough to hunt for her, and things kept progressing from there.” Erik admits in his write in reply.

“Low on supplies and had to go hunting?” The Plain Doll murmurs.

“Yeah. Had to go hunting.” Erik admits wryly. “Fuck those scouts. And don’t even get me started on the giant rats. They may not have been as big as from The Princess Bride, but they were still closer to the size of ‘dogs’ for the ones I took out.”

“Huh.” Monika’s sprite looks outright thoughtful. “Yeah, I can’t blame you if the food supplies were that low.”

“So. Here’s what I’m thinking right now.” Erik types in, as Monika and Sayori both get to the art of eating tasty apple fritters, making appreciative noises as they do so.

“First? I’m not plugging myself into whatever computer system you four are in, for my mechanical arm. No offense, but I’d rather not link my body directly to things, and I’m not sure if it would be safe to do so. So that’s out.” Erik finishes writing using the keyboard.

Monika’s sprite makes a thumbs up motion at Erik’s screen.

“So the second option would be to either screw with the game’s system as hard as I can while barely knowing what I’m doing, to see what turns up for the four of you, or to watch and try to figure out how I’m doing what I’m doing, and hope I can throw shit at the wall to see what sticks.” Erik admits in his typing.

Monika pauses in her gobbling down her pastry, looking thoughtful and nodding slowly, before resuming her happily eating. Sayori, on the other hand, is happily moaning in utter bliss as she takes bite after bite, relishing the treat.

Then, Monika slowly turns to stare at the screen, and shakes her head at him, raising one glazing coated finger to wave her finger in a “no” gesture, before going back to eating.

Silently, Erik pauses as he listens to a third mouth happily munching on an apple fritter, then glances to the right, to look at the Plain Doll doing the same… somehow.

“Well, I’m glad you’re enjoying one too!” Erik smiles at her, before turning back to the screen. “And by your reaction, it’s too much like what you did in the game to make sense. I thought that might be the case, but I had to say it anyway.” Erik admits.

“The third option that I can think of? Would be to see if there’s any other games running in the background, with setups that could help us. Jump from game to game, taking the club on a ride through game settings in the hope something might give us help in figuring out a way to get you all out.” Erik finishes writing.

“We’re not very good at video games, so we’re probably out of the question for knowing any franchises to look into.” Monika eventually states, a quiet smile on her face. “And thank you for the pastry.”

“Mmhmm!” Sayori nods, quietly smiling through her partially eaten apple fritter. “It’sh shooo good!”

“There should be some extras for Natsuki and Yuri.” Erik types in. “I’m not sure how much of this they’ll believe, though.”

Then he settles back, thinking for a bit with his eyes closed.

“It’s not like they’d give me a list of video games running aside from this, if I asked, right?” Erik mutters to himself, aloud.

Wish granted.
    Then a piece of paper slowly falls from the ceiling to his lap.

Slowly, Erik looks up at the ceiling, and the lack of where anything could have fallen from, then back down at the paper in front of him.

“Don’t forget,” the Plain Doll states aloud, “that they want you to succeed, then replicate it.

Erik nods, thinking, then looks over the list carefully. “Let’s see now… Puyo Puyo? Why that ga… ah. Probably the Japanese version that was a sequel to that… game franchise involving Arle. The one where she was the protagonist in a JRPG adventure.” Erik muses, reading aloud.

“Doom 2016, and its sequel, Doom Eternal? Hard pass. Makai Kingdom on the other hand? Wasn’t that a spinoff from Disgaea?” Erik studies it, thinking over Makai Kingdom for a bit. “Nah, it’s too silly. When a zombie is considered the most dangerous thing in the world, when it’s equipped with a ‘Horse Wiener’ of all things…”

Unnoticed to him, Monika and Sayori’s sprites are both blushing a brilliant, bright red.

“Let’s see now, what else. Ys is out entirely. Nowhere enough power in those games for it to work well. Time and Eternity… wasn’t that the PS3 game? Nowhere enough power for my liking, and a fantasy setting to boot. Grandia 3…? Never played it, can’t tell if it would help, more’s the pity.”

“Exactly… how is a Horse Wiener supposed to be a threat, anyways?” The Plain Doll interrupts, her face showing her befuddlement.

“It gave stupidly high statistic boosts in the game, making the zombie with it be worse than most of the bosses you’d faced until that point. If you had a thief in the party, you could actually steal it and equip it on your own characters, too!” Erik chuckles softly at that last part. “Though that was in the original Disgaea, rather than the spinoff, Makai Kingdom. Which, though it had some robots, wasn’t exactly my cup of tea.”

“Ahh.” The Plain Doll settles back, frowning. “What exactly does it mean by wiener, anyways?”

“A horse’s penis, if you will.” Erik nods at the Plain Doll, before going back to the reading.

Oh, my.” The Plain Doll’s murmur is barely heard, as Erik continues reading.

“Let’s see now… Super Mario RPG would be interesting, but I suspect Geno’s maze would be even worse than the original game, if eldritch bullshit were involved… or Smithy’s shit. So that’s out. And Mario itself is weird in so many ways…” Erik trails off frowning and scanning through the lengthy list to the bottom. “Armored Core 6? Mecha could be a maybe, but I don’t know anything about that one. More’s the pity, really. Let’s see now, I can’t see any signs of Persona or Star Ocean… is there any other franchises I would be able to use for-…huh…

Staring back at him, almost as if they were mocking him, is the words “Sonic the Hedgehog”.

“Well… that might result in something interesting, won’t it?” Erik stretches, studying the last line on the paper.

For a long while, Erik thinks, studying the piece of paper, then settles back. “Why Sonic the Hedgehog, though…?” He finally asks aloud, thinking. “The super science in there is… impressive, to say the least. But…” Erik trails off, thinking. “Tails, as a Kitsune or Kitsune knockoff… might be the target, with his genius… but I don’t know if it’s referring to the PS3 game of the same name, or the Genesis game that originated the series. If it’s the latter, then it’s either Sonic, or Robotnik. Or Eggman, or whatever people want to call him.”

Erik thinks, drumming his fingers against the desk silently as he meditates over it. “On one hand, genius inventor who can make damned well anything, who I admired enough to base my Wolf Home loosely on his Death Egg, and who my mentor based my hovercraft’s design on. On the other hand, genius inventor who wants to rule the fucking world and has no qualms about fucking over enemies.”

“...Then again, we’re both engineers…” Erik trails off, thinking. “If I play things to his ego, and explain my side of things…”

Erik pauses, rubbing his chin for a long moment, before nodding. “Any chance of a tablet and a CAD system on this computer, maybe with a stylus for drawing with?”

Even if he tries to spite us, boss? I think it’ll be worth it to see what his plan is. And considering orders from your boss are to let him do what he wants? Let’s get him a tablet and access to CAD.
    Erik hums, watching a tablet land near him, followed by an easy CAD program opening up.

For a long while, Erik frowns, studying the CAD program, before humming. “Eldritch CAD? Never seen it before, never worked with it before… but it’s simple enough for this. And the name’s a giveaway, isn’t it?”

Don’t look at us, it was an in-joke from the programmers! Wait, he can’t hear us, can he?
    Then, with the program worked out, at least barely, Erik turns his attention back to the visual novel.

“So.” Erik states aloud. “Monika? I’ve just gotten a list of other video games going in the background. Do you think you’d be able to access one of them and link them to the visual novel?”

Monika’s sprite frowns, thinking. Then, slowly she nods. “Which one?” her reply states.

Erik writes in “Sonic the Hedgehog”, then settles back as Monika ponders.

“Any idea of what it feels like?” Monika eventually asks. “Most… aren’t too pleasant for the ones I can feel, or are just weird.”

“Sonic is like earth in a lot of ways, but there’s a lot of green hills, cities, ruins… and giant gold rings everywhere, floating in the air. Sonic is the title character, a speedy blue anthropomorphic hedgehog who fights an evil genius inventor.” Erik writes in, thinking.

Monika slowly nods, then blinks as Erik continues to write. “The trick is, the inventor might want to rule the world, but he isn’t outright the worst villain to go about it, especially in the later games. He’s pragmatic. And his sheer brand of crazy genius means he could likely build anything once.”

Monika slowly nods, thinking. “What’s the villain’s name?”

“Doctor Ivo Robotnik, or as the Japanese called him, Doctor Eggman. For his belly made him look a bit like one.” Erik replies. “Or… something like that? I’m not as familiar with the Japanese version of the lore, to be honest.”

“And why are you aiming for him?” Monika muses.

“The better options we have for finding a way to help you out. Is it also possible to link to the CAD program, EldritchCAD, that I’ve managed to get access to, as well?” Erik asks aloud.

Monika’s sprite slowly nods, thinking.

“See… I have a cunning plan.” Erik grins.

Monika blinks. Then as Erik vocally goes into detail, she starts to smile…

An hour later, Erik’s looking at a second computer in the visual novel. And a second computer nearby him, as a result of the visual novel.

“Interesting how the effects of choices in the game influence here…” The Plain Doll admits, almost bemused.

“It gets you samples of my cooking, doesn’t it?” Erik admits, thoughtfully glancing over.

“Very true.” The Plain Doll smiles, nodding and settles back.

Thoughtfully, Erik boots up the new PC, adjusting the second PC’s keyboard to be closer.

Moments later, he’s blinking at a slow screen booting up.

Welcome, former Norse God of Mecha. Programming Mode: Activated! Debugging Mode: Activated!

Accessing network… confirmed.

Access granted!

Egg Network V1.1 system dialup accessing…

Access granted!

Greetings, visitor. How may this network help you today?

Erik smiles, cracking his knuckles, and starts typing. “I need to relay a message to your creator, and some files.”

Acknowledged. Passing on your message to my Creator.

With that, the data fades, leaving a blank screen, before Erik plugs the drawing tablet in and starts working on preparing to move files over.

“Who is this, how are you accessing this, and what do you want?” The screen eventually shifts to ask via a primitive instant messenger program. “I’m a month and a half out from selling any of my products or producing things here on South Island, yet you’ve somehow found my place of operations, early.

“Call me an engineer who’s a fan of your works, and happy to give you some hints.” Erik replies. “But first, I’d like you to look at some of my own works, along with my mentor’s, to prove I’m not feeding you crap. In blueprint form, admittedly, all I’ve got is a very basic CAD program here, but it should be enough to prove I’m not a loon and that we’re both engineers and scientists.”

With that, he transmits data from the tablet to the new PC.

“...How, exactly, is this supposed to fly? I can tell it should. But how exactly…? No, that’s not the important thing. Whatever black boxed technology is in those blank sections must work. Yet it’s so rather reminiscent of my own technology… where’s the coffee, I need more coffee for this.” The screen trails off, as the one on the other side stops typing.

“Different universes, different rules. What would you like me to address you by? Warlord Julian, perhaps? Doctor Ivo Robotnik? Doctor Eggman?” Erik types in the reply, settling back in his chair.

“The second, if you will.” is the reply seen by Erik moments later. “And… how, if you don’t mind my asking, are you communicating with me?”

“In my experience with parallel universes, I’ve experienced more than one that had, in another universe, media of some sort based off of it. Be it a video game, television series, or book? Someone from another universe had a dream, or flash of insight, or some other creative spark, that gave them hints to another universe. And if there’s more than one such spark? More derivative works might be created. Who knows how much is real, and how much is… mere fantasy? But my wife and I both enjoyed a series involving a genius doctor, infamous for creating machines beyond mortal man, and playing as the rival that rose up to fight the doctor’s crazily impressive inventions.” Erik types.

“...Oh? Fascinating… the parallel worlds theory at work, then?” The screen replies, as Ivo on the other side definitely starts to think.

“Most of the time, yes. In this case, would you have any idea of what ‘Lovecraftian horror’ might be, or ‘eldritch abominations’, ‘eldritch monstrosities’, ‘things man was not supposed to know’ and so on and so forth might be?” Erik asks.

“None whatsoever. Nothing good, I assume, from most of those titles, that it’s not pleasant to deal with?” The screen replies.

“Before that, can I assume you’re looking for something called a Chaos Emerald? Consider that to be proof that I’m not full of shit.” Erik replies, thinking about how to word things.

“Indeed, I am. What of it?”

“If you sneak off the island you’re on now, you can access a different island. West Side island. One of the seven emeralds is located there, while the rest are on your little island right now.” Erik types in, smirking.

“...Ohoho! Really now! Interesting… why tell me that, however?” Ivo’s reply comes over, leaving Erik smug.

“I know for a fact that one of your scientific rivals in the future will figure out how to make a synthetic Chaos Emerald, by having access to it for long enough. They might not be the powerhouses the originals are…” Erik trails off in his typing, smug.

“But even a lesser form of power like that would still be invaluable!” Ivo finishes typing for them both, understanding settling in for the seemingly mad inventor. “Ingenious!”

“So, what’s in it for you, then?” Ivo asks.

“I need someone that can build damned well anything, if he has the tools, equipment and supplies. You’re the best option I’ve got, considering I don’t trust any of my own technology in my arm being linked to this eldritch crap around me.” Erik replies.

“...Again, and what’s in it for you, then?” Ivo repeats.

“Mind if I preface this a bit?” Erik replies.

“Go ahead. I’ve got a month and a half before mining operations start up here on this island anyways.” Ivo replies, a little later.

Erik glances over at the other PC, then nods at Monika and Sayori watching the PC screen showing the dialogue between Erik and Ivo in rapt attention.

“So. Lovecraftian horror involves things that mankind really wasn’t supposed to be looking at, without something in their minds breaking, or their organs literally breaking down from the strain. It’s like trying to look at 5 dimensional space or four dimensional space without the built in comprehension, if you will.” Erik types in.

“Like a hypercube, I presume? I remember playing around while trying to figure one of those out once, but I could never get the funding.” Ivo retorts.

“Exactly, only with a lot more tentacles and limbs involved, biological in nature rather than mechanical in nature. Now, the last few times I’ve jumped between universes, I’ve had to deal with incidents involving such things, or powers jerking me around and waylaying me from the path. The first major time, I was near death and had a nice one giving me help. But this current scenario?”

“Not good?” Ivo responds.

“I wound up finding a house, complete with a computer inside of it, playing a visual novel. Except that the characters therein, had one completely aware of being in a visual novel normally, named Monika.” Erik types in.

“Hmm. Do continue.” Ivo responds slowly.

“Except that Monika, usually programmed to be aware she’s in a game, is specifically aware of me personally in the game? She’s aware of me outside the computer, as well, by name. Not just pre-programmed actions to a computer in the game, but she’s actively remembering past playthroughs by other people at the desk before me.” Erik continues. “And not only that, but the one meant to replace her in being aware of the title character being a player character for someone at a computer? Sayori has realized that she’s a video game character, stuck in a game, as well. And she’s also remembering past loops of the game they’re in. More worryingly, both can hear me when I talk at the computer screen, even though I can’t find any microphones or communications methods to do so.”

“...AI replicas, perhaps?” Ivo writes in, then pauses. “Not sure that tracks with your story so far, but it sort of makes sense to me as of right now.”

“Not sure what to think, fully. I’m stuck here with only my clothes and my body, no tools, nothing. But when I asked Monika to look into if other video games were running…” Erik trails off, letting Ivo think.

“...You found a video game based on me… in the background?” Ivo hesitantly writes.

“Ayup, and it sounds like you’re a month and a half before the game is supposed to start, too..” Erik replies.

“...I can’t let them get away with this, can I?” Ivo Robotnik writes, irritation and worry shown in the way he’s typing.

“Monika is able to adjust computer code on the fly, according to the original script of the game. But the Eldritch beings that have set this up seem to want to somehow make her real. And if they figure out a process for her…” Erik trails off, leadingly.

“Then they’d have millions, if not billions not just for her, but for anyone they want. Including me?” Ivo asks. “No, wait. Of course it would be me! My scientific genius is unrivaled!” Ivo writes, smug flowing from the computer screen.

Uh… boss? Why were our eldritch overlords playing that, anyways?
    “Either that, or they were hoping to get your archnemesis. Billions of irritants that can defeat your engineering, think about it.” Erik retorts through text.

The idea of a blue anthropomorphic hedgehog defeating an unparalleled genius amused myself and my siblings GREATLY, technician.
    “...Damnation. And if they can beat my engineering? All engineers and scientists are at stake!” A long pause ensues, before slower, Ivo continues writing, “Unless, of course, my rival is an unparalleled engineer? Worthy of defeating my genius with their own?” Ivo hesitantly asks, the fire seeming to leave his typing as he slows with every key stroke.

Oh. Thanks, oh dread Nyarlathotep! On a different note? Should we be worried about how they’re planning, maybe…?
    “The second video game involved him picking up an ally who’s engineering came to nearly equal your own, though he didn’t focus on such… grandiose projects as you do. But no, your archnemesis beats you with speed and strength, instead.” Erik types, then continues. “In the land of the jocks, those of us that love engineering are reviled. There’s reasons why I left the planet I lived on to colonize a different one. To get away from those assholes!”

No matter what they have planned, so long as the reality warper comes into existence, our plans can be SALVAGED. If it fails, however…
    “...Damnation. Then millions of me, enslaved?” Ivo writes. “I can’t let this happen.

“And none would be aware, as you are, of the trap. Imagine being offered unlimited power, infinite resources, and the defeat of your archnemesis and his allies… at the cost of meeting a being that would happily drive you insane if you dared to actually meet its inhuman, insanity inducing gaze…?” Erik replies.

“Hmm. Are there any options for allies for myself? Or am I damned to do this alone?” Ivo finally writes out.

“You have my help. But if you want help from the locals…? Instead of tossing the animals into robot shells powered by the animals? Go to your archnemesis and recruit him for help. A pesky blue, fast hedgehog who’s ruined your plans before, by the name of Sonic? He may have worked with an armadillo and a squirrel the last time you saw him.” Erik types in. “They may have wrecked one of your bases before?”

“Sonic. Sonic… that pesky young hedgehog still lives? After the destruction of that last base?!” Ivo writes, fury evident in the typing of the doctor.

“And he’s set to become your hated nemesis, if you push him with your badnik plan. But if you go to him, hat in hand, and ask him to help you save the life of a young woman before all your lives are in jeopardy?” Erik retorts, smug.

“Ahhh. Show him the chat, explain what we’re trying to avoid?” Ivo’s typing reflects amusement, now.

“And as a hero, he’ll be happy to supervise you, leaving you safe if weird eldritch crap happens to target you for helping me with saving yourself as well as Monika and anyone else linked to Monika, from this shit.” Erik replies. “I might not be perfect at every part of talking with people, but I can get around. And what benefits us both? It’s the truth.

“True, true. Certainly a fair point, considering we’re both likely screwed if something isn’t done.” Ivo replies.

“Why lie, when the truth is so much better?” Erik asks, smug. “That’s the words of a villain I once enjoyed a video game involving. Terrible bastard to fight, however. No love of science whatsoever. But those words stuck with me for a very long time.”

“Apt words, for a situation like ours. I’ll do what I can to help.” Ivo writes.

“Just be careful. I’m not sure how spread out your setting is, seeing as it most likely involves a video game cartridge.” Erik replies. “Sonic, as much as it might be a pain for you to admit, may be your only hope for getting those Chaos Emeralds.”

“Now why would… ah. If you aren’t sure of how much of our reality exists outside the game cartridge’s locations…” Ivo writes, thinking. “Without any solid information, you can’t be sure I can access the other islands I know of. Or either of us may be able to do that. Irritating, to say the least.”

“No kidding. So it’s time to break things, and we can work out designs for a way to save everyone stuck in those two games, together.” Erik replies.

“Using the Chaos Emeralds, you think?” Ivo’s reply is quick.

“Seven are required to achieve the craziest stuff. Right now, you have six on the island. But I’m not sure if Chaos Emeralds are the answer, or if it’s your genius combined with my genius.” Erik replies.

“And thus why we’d need a synthetic Chaos Emerald.” Ivo’s writing conveys the sheer understanding.

Precisely.” Erik’s reply is short, concise, and to the point.

“So. Why me? I’m sure there’s other scientists out there that might be of better aid. I’m a megalomaniac with ideals of grandeur and ruling the world, after all.” Ivo eventually writes.

“Oh? And miss the chance to trade engineering tips with the man who inspired my mentor to design my Wolf Wing, the hovercraft who’s specifications I sent you, as a gift for me? Whose Death Egg was my inspiration for my own space station, Wolf Home?” Erik writes, grinning. “To trade engineering designs and tips with you is something I dreamed of.

“Ohohohoho! Really now! You loved my work that much, eh?” Ivo’s retort is rapid, as Erik grins more.

“Considering we both have similar taste in giant stompy robots, and using our hovercraft as the control system for it? Yes, yes I do.” Erik’s reply leaves him smug.

“Still… I can’t seem to remember where the Death Egg is, even though it’s been getting built.” Ivo’s reply is more slow, thoughtful.

“Orbit.” Erik’s reply is short and sweet, but to the point.

“...Even if I might be able to make it there, it won’t do me any good, will it?” Ivo finally states.

“That’s what SCIENCE!is for, of course!” Erik’s reply is simple, and to the point.

“I’ll make a toast to that! For science, then!” Ivo Robotnik’s reply is full of smugness.

Meanwhile, the Plain Doll giggles while watching Sayori and Monika, carefully monitoring the PC in the visual novel’s side of things, slowly placing their faces in their palms.

Author’s Notes:

It’s… uh, been a while, hasn’t it?

Yeah, sorry about that. I’ve been pretty burned out from writing, with how that mess of a campaign crescendoed into a glorious ending for everyone involved.

Except, of course, for the 15 pages I was writing a week, anyways. My end sucked. Just a little bit, at least?

I digress, though. Between recovering from that, and trying to go from a Motorcycle Permit to a Motorcycle Endorsement in terms of skill? I’ve been pretty busy. Washington State has an extra hoop to jump through, after all. And making sure you’re good enough for it can be harder than you’d like, sometimes. I’ve got until March of next year before I have to wait 3 years to get a permit again, if I don’t make it. Thankfully, I think I’m close to having it down, and I’ve got a class scheduled for next month to the tune of $225 for a single day. Unfortunately, it’s still hard to do tight turns with my ride.

So between the two? This has been the first time I’ve managed to sit down and get more than a page or two done before the creative spark waned since July, and it’s currently October 12th as of writing this part before editing. So, sorry about that, folks!

Unfortunately, my creative juices are still on the “waning” side of things, with how much I’ve been out practicing each week, and how much the campaign took out of me towards the end.

Sorry about that. Still, it’s close to the halloween season, and I wanted to let you all know that I’m still alive, so! Here you all are. One more halloween themed snippet. With more SCIENCE! involved than usual.

If you’re all wondering, there’s an old arcade game, SegaSonic the Hedgehog, which uses the prototype name for Sonic. It was a japanese only release, but you can watch an english translation here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycpSsRKR1vY

It shows a vastly, what seems to me to be younger Sonic, by way of reaction speed, capabilities, and more, trying to deal with Robotnik/Eggman who’s using a lot less machinery, no badniks, and a whole lot more traps. Reactions, and everything else just seems slower, and younger to me. Combined with the use of the prototype name?

My mental head-canon is that SegaSonic the Hedgehog (Arcade) came first, and Robotnik/Eggman’s plan was foiled quite early on before South Island and later games.
    I'm starting to suspect that talking with Kieran influences my rolls on Fate/Grand Order Heavily. How else can you explain me talking with him, then rolling for 30, only to get 3 Archer of Shinjuku on my second ten roll?

Quote Originally Posted by RanmaBushiko View Post
    It shows a vastly, what seems to me to be younger Sonic, by way of reaction speed, capabilities, and more, trying to deal with Robotnik/Eggman who’s using a lot less machinery, no badniks, and a whole lot more traps. Reactions, and everything else just seems slower, and younger to me.
    Huh. It was released after Sonic 1 and 2, and I'd argue the floatiness is pretty similar to the later Sonic 3D Blast (which I played). It's just more awkward to handle isometric controls; the extra dimension makes things awkward, and the movement always being diagonal just does not feel good. Also, they don't design levels in the same way as the 2D Sonic games (which put a big emphasis on being able to rush through most of the level at high speed).

I was somehow expecting the seemingly-backdoor access into a computer within the computer to be exploited more, but it's likely sandboxed relative to the actual eldritch horror. Erik collaborating with his own inspiration certainly does seem like a recipe for SCIENCE! The similarity between Sonic and the Norse pantheon isn't really one I had considered before, but is a really funny perspective on Sonic.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Huh. It was released after Sonic 1 and 2, and I'd argue the floatiness is pretty similar to the later Sonic 3D Blast (which I played). It's just more awkward to handle isometric controls; the extra dimension makes things awkward, and the movement always being diagonal just does not feel good. Also, they don't design levels in the same way as the 2D Sonic games (which put a big emphasis on being able to rush through most of the level at high speed).
    Yeah, the whole "prototype name" however, made me wonder if it was Sonic as a kid. Add in that there were nearly no robots involved, just traps?

It's like a prototype Robotnik fighting prototype Sonic, almost. Thus my head canon about it. I've noted other fanfiction having the same thoughts about it, because of how slow Sonic is in that game, that it was a younger Sonic before Robotnik/Eggman actually built things up enough to be a real serious threat. I played Sonic 3d Blast for the genesis myself, but this game just kind of leaves you going "eh..., is that really Sonic with how slow he is?", if that makes sense.

I was somehow expecting the seemingly-backdoor access into a computer within the computer to be exploited more, but it's likely sandboxed relative to the actual eldritch horror. Erik collaborating with his own inspiration certainly does seem like a recipe for SCIENCE! The similarity between Sonic and the Norse pantheon isn't really one I had considered before, but is a really funny perspective on Sonic.
    Yeah, Erik isn't exactly fond of jocks that ruin his shit. To be perfectly fair, if he went in swinging his sword all the damned time, they would have respected him a lot more. At the same time, that's a good way to get yourself stabbed.

He'll joke about being allergic to pain, but he's really not fond of the idea of getting stabbed, you know? Keeping high tech power armor between him and the sharp pointy things is just common sense, to him.

So of course he's going to sympathize with someone else even metaphorically like the boat he was once in.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Chapter 6: Two Scientists, a Reality Warper and a Blue Hedgehog in a Chat Room

Erik glances over at the other screen, pausing to look at the facepalms, before sighing.

“You know, Monika, you could always get both of you a keyboard and join in?” Erik muses aloud.

Monika pauses, slowly looking up at the computer in the visual novel, then her sprite changes to show her suddenly having pen in hand, against her chin.

Then she’s distracted as the computer she made beeps.

“So. I just set out a giant sign saying ‘Free Chili dogs for heroes, one blue hedgehog required. It’s not poisoned, and I could use your help, Sonic, to save an innocent girl as well as ourselves.’ as well as a table full of the food. And maps to my base.” Robotnik writes, wryly. “Thankfully, or not so thankfully according to my prior plans, he’s already on the island. And was likely close enough to smell the Chili Dogs, knowing my luck.”

“Well, we need his help to save everyone.” Erik replies. “Also pointed out to Monika that she could manifest a keyboard to chat in here along with us, so I’m hoping she joins in and helps convince your resident heroic hedgehog to help.”

“Hm. Let me adjust it to have usernames, then.” Robotnik writes. “Give me a bit to adjust the system.”

“Maybe see if you can’t add in webcam functionality to see if we can’t see each other?” Erik replies.

“Not a bad idea down the line. I’ll be back soon.” Robotnik adds in. “Won’t be more than a minute or two to patch this for the first functionality, anyway.”

Erik nods, then slowly sighs. “Thankfully, he’s listening.” Erik mutters aloud. “If nothing else, my own skills at being charismatic and explaining things still hold true…”

The Plain Doll hums thoughtfully as she listens to Erik.

Then the computer to Erik’s left, connected to Robotnik’s systems, changes to a messenger style screen, almost out of AOL instant messenger, MSN Instant Messenger, various chat methods like IRC, or even an early version of Skype.

Moments later, Erik adds in a username for himself.

Robotnik: "Got it done! I’ve also managed to get the computers rigged for a primitive camera system, but it’ll take me some time to actually build one. I suspect Sonic’s snuck in here as well, with the sounds I’m hearing. Hopefully he listens rather than cuts the power."

Erik: "Good to hear. He’s a hero, so he should at least hear you out."

Monika: "Oh, so that’s how it works. Thank you for listening to Erik, Mister Robotnik! Er… Doctor, right?"

Robotnik: "Indeed, my dear. I did manage quite a few doctorates, in honor of my grandfather’s work."

Monika: "Well, here’s hoping you can come in… what’s the phrase? Clutch? Save the day?"

Robotnik: "Not a problem my dear, I qioweur;ajfkdl"

Erik: "I’m guessing Sonic just jumpscared him."

Monika: "That’s rude, and horrible to write. But if he’s right… please, Mister Sonic the Hedgehog, would you mind not hurting the genius that we’re asking to help save me and yourselves?"

Robotnik: "Let me get him a keyboard and monitor. Apparently he was sneaking up on me and I didn’t spot it until he nearly did horrible things to me with a Chili Dog for screwing up the recipe so badly. Not my fault that it’s the first time I’ve ever cooked them, but even still."

Erik: "Be relatively nice to the scientist that you have bad issues with, Sonic. You’ll never know when you’ll need his help."

Robotnik: "Somehow, when you write that, I’m not sure I should be happy to read it."

Sonic: "Okay, got this up and running. Pretty slow for a fast guy like myself. So, why should I believe you instead of kicking butts and taking names? And getting revenge on you for the awful chili dogs set out?"

Erik: "Well? I could go on, showing you scientific proof. Or I could ask you if you remember the name of someone you’ve probably already met."

Sonic: "Do tell?"

Erik: "Does Zonic the Zone Cop ring any bells for you?"

Sonic: "Oh. Um. Maybe…?"

Erik: "Mecha Robotnik ringing any bells, as well?"

Sonic: "I’m not liking the things you’re bringing up in this chat thing, here. Things better left unsaid, to be more precise. And I’m not sure how Zonic hasn’t hunted you down for knowing about that, or writing about it."

Erik: "We’re dealing with a situation that could leave that clusterfuck looking like a mild case of “bad adventure” in comparison."

Sonic: "Okay, what’s the situation then? This doesn’t sound cool at all, so far."

Erik: "Sonic, meet Monika. She’s a reality warper of sorts that’s an AI in a video game. She can control the video game’s code, and she’s been running in a computer system made by things that man, nor hedgehog, were ever supposed to look at. The phrase “outside context problem” applies."

Monika: "Sorry about this!"

Erik: "The eldritch computer system is run by things that drive normal people insane to look at, and they’re actively working to not only make the video game she’s in real, but figure out how to make her not be a part of the game, but flesh and blood, able to apply her powers to everything around her to alter them."

Sonic: "Be honest with me here. I’m a guy that likes adventure. How bad could this get?"

Erik: "There’s a video game called Sonic the Hedgehog that they’re emulating on the same eldritch system, where the player controls a blue hedgehog against his nemesis, Doctor Robotnik Can you say ‘millions, if not billions of blue hedgehogs and genius scientists being used as cannon fodder as they bring to life you both with the same system they’re working to use on Monika, to deal with their enemies’ is the worst case scenario for you two? Or, worse yet, millions of every version of yourselves, including Mecha Robotnik?"

Sonic: "And now I’m completely for spoiling whatever plans they have!"

Monika: "Yay! Thank you!"

Sonic: "So, what exactly do you need me to do?"

Erik: "We need you to hunt down on the island and find at least one Chaos Emerald, if not all six on the island."

Sonic: "Huh. That shouldn’t be too hard. And here I thought you’d be making me solo the end of the world, or something."

Erik: "All I can say is that either they’re hidden on the island, or they’re hidden in special stages…"

Robotnik: "He just ran off after reading that last part."

Erik: "Well, at least he listened!"

Robotnik: "I hate that hedgehog, sometimes."

Erik: "Trust me when I say that he’s not the worst thing you’ll ever face. Or have to team up with him to deal with."

Robotnik: "In other words, better to deal with him now, so I know how to work with him later?"

Monika: "It could be worse, you know."

Robotnik: "How so, exactly?"

Monika: "Do you know what a dating simulator is?"

Robotnik: "Yes…?"

Monika: "You could be trapped in a psychological horror dating simulator like I am, stuck knowing you’re in a video game character, falling in love with each and every person that plays it, knowing you don’t have a route where they can actually date you, and that they’re doomed to murder you each and every time they play like I am…"

Robotnik: "…My apologies. That is, on reflection, far worse than anything I could imagine going through."

Monika: "Sayori gets a route. Yuri gets a route. Natsuki gets a route. But me? No. I don’t get a route. I don’t deserve…"

Erik: "Monika. Calm down, okay?"

Monika: "…I just… want to be happy. Not be in this horrible system. In this horrible game. I want to save myself and my friends. Is that too much to ask…?"

Erik: "We’re helping you, aren’t we? And you’re a good girl who deserves the help, and doesn’t deserve to be in the game you’re stuck in. Both you and Sayori don’t deserve to be stuck in that thing."

Monika pauses, on the first screen, just looking at the screen for a long while. Then her sprite wipes away tears, and leans back, only to find Sayori behind her, giving her a gentle hug.

Monika: "I… thank you. Thank you for wanting to help me. Could… you tell me more about yourself, Erik? That Scylla you mentioned, that I might like?"

Erik: "That’s a bit of a long story, but since this doesn’t seem to have the text limits that the visual novel write-in method does, I think I can do that. Let’s see now, where to begin…

First? Back home in the universe I came from, the world was full of legends, and myths. About beings that towered over humanity, known as Gods, and their own forefathers, the Titans.

Titans were effectively incarnations of an element in and of themselves. Powerful beings that could be said to be akin to the might of a Chaos Emerald, or even seven, if you need a comparison, Robotnik. Only Titans were… beyond just embodying the substance, or element, or force. The greatest and strongest of them held domains, entire planets worth of the substance they embodied, and lesser ones sought to be the avatar and replace the greatest ones."

Robotnik: "Noted. And quite the interesting story so far."

Erik: "Gods, on the other hand, were those Titans kids. Still powerful, but they realized all the humans that were still rather primitive, and other races, could be helpful, and started realizing that their Titan parents weren’t always the wisest of sorts.

And then they rebelled against their parents, different pantheons, or groupings of Gods, fighting against the Titan that had birthed each pantheon. Except that when one of the titans died, Ymir? Two thirds of the planet’s ice caps died with the bastard, leaving a worldwide flood that screwed up a whole lot of everything."

Robotnik: "That’s… not good."

Monika: "An understatement if I ever heard one!"

Erik: "No kidding. Even still, a great many pantheons rose and fell, but several still rose to power and sought to seal their divine parents. The Norse who’d slain Ymir, the Greeks, and the Japanese pantheons being some examples of such.

And after the Titans were sealed away, they decided to mostly either isolate themselves from humanity and the other races, or sneak out to have kids with mortals, off and on."

Monika: "Hmm. Interesting."

Erik: "I was a Scion, a half breed of god and humanity, to the Norse pantheon. And you would have hated the pantheon, if you’d met them, Robotnik."

Robotnik: "Do tell?"

Erik: " Imagine a group where might makes right, and intellectuals are looked down upon. Those that rush forwards to die in battle, sword in hand, are viewed as the best of them. Nevermind the fact that the leader of them is an intellectual who knows magic! No, magic has to be the women’s work. Cunning is viewed as something to spit at, if it results in new things, nevermind the fact that the leader’s own sons were both cunning! Injuries, a point of major pride to have."

Robotnik: "I’m hating it, already.Just from your description, alone…"

Erik: "Imagine their loathing to use my machinery, my equipment, because rather than fighting myself, I fight in a giant fucking piloted robot that keeps me from getting murdered! Because, instead of rushing in, sword in hand, I’d rather have a metal meat shield keeping me from being skewered from the crazy shit the titans could throw at us!"

Robotnik: "Ahh. I see it now."

Monika: "Why would they even… it barely makes sense. Did the faction leader make them ignore magic on purpose, or something?"

Erik: "Probably wanted it all for himself. Sneaky one eyed Odin was cunning like that.

Now, where was I? Right. Scylla.

Scylla was an invention by a former Greek guy, Ixion. He was… well, completely nuts, to say the least? He’d worked with the Titans to figure out something called Fleshcrafting. Basically taking organic life, mixing it with machinery, and creating all sorts of horrific shit as a result.

He took Scylla, mixed in an oil drilling rig, and added in the living occupants of the oil rig for extra horror, then set Scylla up as a guard dog of sorts.

Me and my buddies found him, kicked the tentacle’s asses that Scylla was using to attack the ship we were on, and I used my laser rifle to carve him out. Then I realized he was alive, sentient, and called dibs on helping him out in not being dissected."

Robotnik: "What sort of crazy lunatic would…"

Monika: "The sort without morals?"

Robotnik: "Fair point."

Erik: "Some versions of you depicted in the media involved, are very much on that scale of bullshit, Robotnik."

Robotnik: "…That’s outright terrifying to read. Little wonder you worry about an army of me."

Erik: "No kidding. And that’s why, when I spotted this game setup and running, I knew you probably were the ace in the hole that we’d need to save you all.

But, with Scylla backing me, and acting as a biological supercomputer for my machines, we set out to change things, and my group all became gods alongside myself."

Robotnik: "A God, hm? God of what, may I ask?"

Erik: "Innovation, Paranoia, Machinery, and Pykrete. The sheer amount of shit that confused me and left me paranoid eventually got explained, but for a while… it really didn’t help my mental state much.

Still, I married a cute Kitsune wife from the Japanese pantheon, who’d wanted out so she wouldn’t have to deal with her mother’s shit ever again, and we eventually set off to terraform another planet.

Then the Titans broke free of their prison, some clusterfuck happened, and I had to jump universes to get the fuck out of dodge and away from all the Titan bullshit that was reaching out through the solar system to try and get to me and my little group of survivors."

Robotnik: "…Well, that went places I never expected it to go."

Erik: "I could regal you with the story over a few weeks, if you’d prefer, instead of the highlights?"

Monika: "I think we need to focus more on other things. You’ve mentioned things not working right?"

Erik: "Still a bit relevant, so I’ll continue. First universe we jumped to, we’d brought an orb with, known as the Heart of Winter. I’d been using it as a battery for some of my equipment, to keep it away from any groups that worshiped the Titans. Turns out, it wasn’t just one of Ymir’s treasures, but something like a “free resurrection method” for the bastard, and he possessed a giant golem with the damned thing.

Unfortunately for me, he did something to me that left me stuck between “God” and “Titan” with every time I now try to use the abilities of either, parts of me always begins to convert into machinery.

Effectively, he tried to convert me into a “Titan of Machinery”, and make me a mechanical man as a result."

Robotnik: "Hmm. A pity, that. I would have loved to throw my engineering skills at a God to see how I would hold up!"

Erik: "Considering how many of my inventions were looking at your shit, then going “hold my beer and let me see if I can reproduce that”?"

Robotnik: "Ohohohoho! That warms the cockles of my heart! Speaking of which, it looks like Sonic’s back. And with a gem to boot!"

Erik: "Hey, Sonic? Once you’ve gotten all six, can you help Robotnik with defending the lab?"

Sonic: "Yeah. That place was… weird. Floating fish in the sky, and other weird stuff."

Erik: "Let us know if it gets any crazier than that, or if reality starts being weird. Hopefully so long as we just have you progress through things like normal, it won’t trigger anything from the Eldritch computer system you’re all in."

Sonic: "Did the fish have eyes open to watch you in the video game?"

Erik: "They had round balls that looked like eyes."

Sonic: "Not glowing black voids, then?"

Erik: "Definitely not."

Sonic: "Not sure I want to go back in there, then. Maybe we can get some of Robotnik’s inventions to go in, instead?"

Erik: "The sooner we have the rest of the emeralds, the better… but if you want to take time, I can’t blame you."

Sonic: "Why do we need them, anyways?"

Erik: "All seven, when used properly, produce a miracle, of sorts. Six, and a replica might do the job, if just for a brief moment, but since there’s likely only six on the island, I’m hoping that your favorite nemesis can work out a way to make a synthetic copy. Lesser to the real thing, but enough for even a flash of that miracle to occur."

Sonic: "And the seventh?"

Erik: "West Side Island. If you’re lucky, the local inventor, Tails the Kitsune would be on the island instead of dealing with an invasion of the Battle Kukku army on Cocoa island. He’d probably be able to help with the Synthetic Emerald, considering he’s supposed to build the first one in a few years from this game’s setting."

Sonic: "Cocoa island? I’ve heard of it. Rumors of a weird army showing up, and the Chaos Emeralds leaving here reached my ears. I’m guessing that’s when Robotnik moved in, while the island was holding position without the emeralds. Then South Island started moving again, so I’m guessing the Chaos Emeralds returned."

Erik: "The Chaos Emeralds seem to be a bit like a Deus Ex Machina. Powerful things that go where they’re needed most… unfortunately, unless it’s one of the remakes that had all seven emeralds, or a rom hack, that seventh is likely not on your island."

Robotnik: "We’ll talk it out."

Monika: "Thank you so much! Things have been getting… creepier outside the house, in the visual novel I’m in. We didn’t have stores before Erik started playing, after all. Nor managers of said stores."

Sonic: "That sounds as creepy as what I looked at."

Erik: "Well, normally I wouldn’t suggest it, but considering the damned things seem to go where they’re needed? Try asking the Chaos Emerald to help you find the others, and explain that you need seven to help someone in need, fully, maybe? Or maybe work with Doctor Robotnik for an emerald radar or something, and get machines built to search?"

Robotnik: "Considering I scrapped the badnik plan, I’m fresh out of machines for it."

Erik: "The Chaos Emeralds, at least how they’re shown in later games, seem to have a duality of energies, but Chaos seems to be enriched, or empowered by the heart. Positive and negative emotions empower the emeralds differently."

Robotnik: "Interesting…"

Monika: "So that’s why you’re hoping that one or more would help me?"

Erik: "Exactly. Without seven, though, we may have to work on some sort of amplification system for artificial ones. I’m not sure if we want to test Sonic going back in with a Chaos Emerald as a buffer in those special stages or not…"

Sonic: "I’ll be back in a few minutes, and take the one with me to check."

Erik: "Thanks, Sonic… and I never thought I’d write that. What is my life, even?"

Erik sighs, settling back as he thinks, rubbing his temples for a long moment.

Then he nods, moving forwards to type again.

Erik: "I hate this situation. The eldritch things behind this are betting on me being the one to save Monika, so they can recreate it, because her situation is utterly fucked up, and they’re right that I can’t look at it and ignore it. At the same time, though I can figure out how to spite them, at least a little bit, I’m wondering if I’m giving them what they want?"

Robotnik: "Feels like a no-win situation, hmm? It’s why I’m using my genius the way I do, rather than dealing with most of the governments of the world. Well, that and chasing after legends, anyways."

Erik: "Legends are fine and all, but always have some form of backup in case you need to deal with them turning out to be real, and wanting you dead. Or teaming up with you, then backstabbing you later."

Robotnik: "That sounds like it’s prior experience talking, there."

Erik: "Oh, definitely. But I also know enough about the franchise you two are from, to know the sheer amount of legends you run into and poke at, in order to deal with Sonic? Tends to be on the “crazy” side of things. The phrase “you both get in over your heads” comes to mind."

Robotnik: "Ah. Not always good or pleasant to deal with?"

Erik: "If you count teaming up with each other to destroy the greater threat “good”, then yes, yes it is! By your standards, though, probably not."

Robotnik: "Irritating. Willing to share any details about that “Zonic” thing?"

Erik: "If you’re familiar with comics and multiverses? Think “Evil Robotnik that turned themselves from flesh to machine, wants to do it to every version of themself and every single living organic person in the multiverse” with every version of Sonic the Hedgehog being called to action to counter the bullshit of that one. Archie Comics was weird that way, but considering it explicitly said “every version”, I’d hoped that it actually meant that. And Archie started out working off a saturday morning cartoon show, working with the Kingdom of Acorn, stealing a prototype Roboticizer meant for turning hurt or damaged limbs into metal, and using it to turn people into mechanical slaves, so Mecha Robotnik was likely changed into that through the prototype."

Robotnik: "Why are you teaming up with me, again? With the alternatives of myself sounding terrifying to deal with, I have to wonder. And would that saturday morning cartoon be where “Warlord Julian” came from?"

Erik: "You’re a scientist and engineer, on par with myself. And considering I used to be the Norse God of Mecha and innovation, that’s saying something. Maybe you’re a little on the mad or crazy side, at times, but you’re a genius of engineering like I am. Even if you tend towards world domination, you’d rather rule the world and give it amusement parks, rather than rule it with an iron fist. For all your issues with that, you’re still someone that wants everyone alive to rule over. And yes, that’s where the Warlord Julian check came from. If you were that madman, I would have scrapped working with you altogether."

Erik pauses, drumming his fingers for a moment, before nodding to himself.

Erik: "And you want to follow in the footsteps of your grandfather, while using machines to protect yourself from his fate. Or at least that’s what later games hinted at."

Erik cracks his knuckles, thinking for a long while, then starts typing.

Erik: "You believe in meritocracy. You believe in machinery making life better for yourself, and for others. For all your work, you believe in building amusement parks for others, constructing machinery that can make life better. Even if you’re a would-be warlord, you aren’t truly evil about it. Not like some versions of you depicted in other media.

Oh, I’ll admit when the chips are down, you get ruthless. That’s the thing, though. So do I. So I can’t blame you on that one bit.

No, where you really have problems is that you want to do it alone. Rely only on your ingenuity and robots, over working with others. Without anyone to advise you, or point out when you’re going a little too crazy with the plans? You overstep, jump in, and no one’s able to bail you out.

You have no advisors, no allies, noguides. You have no one to bail you out if you screw things up. No one to point out if it’s a bad plan, to you. No one to talk with, to discuss things with.

I see a lot of myself in you, because if I didn’t have people to point out where I was screwing up? I could have easily followed the same path."

Erik settles back again, after writing that. Then glances over to spot Monika furiously typing at the keyboard.

Monika: "That’s why Erik trusts you, huh? Well, if you save me, Doctor, I’ll be happy to help act as an advisor if we’re not with Erik at the end of it! If you save my club, I’m sure we all will be happy to help, too!"

Sonic: "Back with a second Chaos Emerald. Good news, and bad news time. On the plus side, the theory of one protecting me from the side effects from the “eldritch stuff” was right? On the minus side, the sea outside of South Island now has lots of eyes in it, like the ones I first saw in the special stage. If I’m far off, the water looks proper, but when I get close? It’s not right at all, man. Totally not cool, and it hurts my brain to look at it too long."

Erik: "Well, fuck. Plan B with lots of synthetic Chaos Emeralds it is, then."

Author’s Notes:

The muse came back! Yay!

Inspired by years of chats on AOL Instant Messenger, you have… this mess of a chapter.
    Last edited by RanmaBushiko; November 4th, 2023 at 01:19 AM.

Have to say that the chatroom-style formatting lacking quotation marks (when spanning multiple lines) can get a bit hard to follow at times, especially when mixed with character descriptions. Could use some more visual distinction.

Mostly introducing Sonic as a collaborator and escalating the eldritch weirdness (at least on the Doki Doki/Sonic end) further. Erik explaining his backstory to Robotnik is mostly stuff we're already familiar with. Archie Comics canon being something in-universe Sonic is familiar with is definitely weird, but sorta tracks with synthesizing all of the Sonic canons. I'm not familiar with precisely how far that goes though.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Have to say that the chatroom-style formatting lacking quotation marks (when spanning multiple lines) can get a bit hard to follow at times, especially when mixed with character descriptions. Could use some more visual distinction.
    Gotcha. I'll fix that. Just give me a few hours to get to it, tonight.

Mostly introducing Sonic as a collaborator and escalating the eldritch weirdness (at least on the Doki Doki/Sonic end) further. Erik explaining his backstory to Robotnik is mostly stuff we're already familiar with. Archie Comics canon being something in-universe Sonic is familiar with is definitely weird, but sorta tracks with synthesizing all of the Sonic canons. I'm not familiar with precisely how far that goes though.
    Archie was weird. But I distinctly recall it involving "every Sonic the Hedgehog from every timeline" for that little mess, even if most of the versions were played for laughs. Spiderhog, Bathog aside, there was a ton that wore costumes for it. Leaves different settings alone, but a multiverse of Sonics to deal with one version of their nemesis is disturbing enough to be a damned good point.

And not everyone that reads is going to be familiar with Erik's backstory. Occasional reminders for the readers that don't want to plow through the entirety of Fate/Anarchy to get a good idea of the mess, can be helpful sometimes.

Edit: And fixed. Blegh. Not quite two hours later, but at least it's done!
    Last edited by RanmaBushiko; November 4th, 2023 at 01:19 AM.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Chapter 7: What The Hell Just Happened?

Sonic: “So? What exactly are your plans besides that? You seem to have a lot of respect for us both. I suspect it’s going to take the doctor a while to figure out how to work with the Chaos Emeralds I brought back, so I think it’s just me for now.”

Erik: “Be a little nicer to him, please, Sonic. He has good reasons for what he does. Even if it’s stupid, or insane, he has a good reason to be wanting to build his own nation, rather than trusting other nations.”

Sonic: “Did later games cover it, or something? Because I haven’t heard anything about that.”

Erik: “It got covered up, to be fair. Suffice to say that the peaceful facility his grandfather Gerald Robotnik ran, the Space Colony ARK, got invaded by government troops. His grandfather was working on a cure for… I’m not sure if it’s a sister, or a cousin, and the games I played never went into detail. Maria had an issue with her immune system not working right, though I can’t remember the name, but they killed her in cold blood, and imprisoned Ivo’s grandfather, before eventually executing him.”

Monika: “Oh dear. That’s horrible!”

Sonic: “That’s totally uncool. And a lot of his eccentricities makes more sense to me now. It wasn’t set up for me, for most of those defenses I’ve run into with his prior plots, huh?”

Erik: “No, they were set up in case the fuckers that gunned down his family member in cold blood, came for him. Either to make him create weapons for them, or to kill him for knowing too much, I presume. And that’s why they’re so slow for a speedy hedgehog like yourself. They’re meant for people being used as cannon fodder to slow them down and give him time to escape, not you specifically.”

Robotnik: “She was my Cousin, if you wondered. Though the issue, I knew about. A neural immunity problem. Some sort of autoimmune disease, like Aids, but worse.”

Erik: “Well, shit. No wonder your grandfather fixated on her. Also, I know those emeralds can be used as the gemstone for a stupidly strong laser. You might be able to jury rig it to be the power source, as well, and use it for mining.”

Sonic: “So, they focused on your cousin, rather than you? Crap. And here I thought I couldn’t have any sympathy for you, Robotnik. I mean, what with the sheer number of traps a few years ago.”

Monika: “Everyone has their problems, Sonic the Hedgehog. My friend Sayori, who’s reading this over my shoulder, has depression issues, for example.”

Erik: “On a different note, and before I get sidetracked again? I’ve noticed that time doesn’t seem to be passing in the visual novel unless certain word counts have been passed. Unless you think I’m wrong, Monika?”

Monika: “No, you seem to be right. The extra… Apple fritters you made in the visual novel still seem to be perfectly warm, and the oven is still leaving the house as warm as when we started this.”

Robotnik: “So. Now that I’ve gotten the majority of this jury rigged laser set up? What exactly would you have done if I had been as evil as those alternates, anyways?

Erik: "If you were like that, not only fuck working with you, I'd be calling the Punisher of the Wicked..."

Robotnik: “How did I hear reverb through a LINE OF TEXT just now, and why do I feel like turning around would be the last mistake I'd ever make . . .?”

Erik: “My old friend, Krampus, is apparently still around in some form or another! Sweet! He’s nice, unless you’re unrepentantly evil.”

Robotnik: “Dare I ask what he’d do if I was evil?”

Erik: “Ever seen horror films before? With lots of gore? When he’s off the job, a more creative writer and storyteller you couldn’t find, especially with some of his crazy stories as a Game Master. But when he was on the job…”

Robotnik: “Ah.”

Erik: “His mode of operations entirely, for those that are truly evil. He decided to base his divinity around punishing the evil, and worked to base himself off the myth of Krampus. Someone that stole away all the bad little children that were truly unrepentant, never to be seen again.”

Elsewhere and elsewhen, Godafrid is suddenly shivering with a chill down his spine.

“OK, what the hell - am I getting a fever, or what - and WHY do I feel like I'm being watched . . .?" Godafrid mutters under his breath.

Robotnik: “Makes a lot of sense, I suppose. What would you call me, then?”

Erik: “Someone in dire need of a voice of rationality and common sense? I’d copy and paste the Evil Overlord list, just so you have an idea of how bad you’re screwing up your conquering attempts, but I worry that would just give you ideas.

Sonic: “Thank you very much for not making my life worse.”

Robotnik: “Anything remotely not-evil on that list?”

Erik: “Free access to the internet and subscriptions to a good Massively Multiplayer RPG does wonders for keeping your citizens happy and unwilling to screw you over if you take control of things.”

Robotnik: “That just… hmm. Would theme parks work instead? Curse this dratted analysis tool, it’s nowhere near good enough to understand the exact energy frequencies coming off of the Chaos Emerald.”

Erik: “So long as they’re actually safe for people to use, don’t cut corners or costs, and are legitimately safe for your citizens to use, leaving them happy and entertained? Yeah, that’s exactly what I’m saying. Sometimes, if you’re the better, stronger and kinder alternative, nations will kick out their leaders for you. Trust me, I know enough about diplomacy to be able to tell you that one would work out wonders for you.”

Monika: “Why are you giving him tips, Erik?”

Erik: “If they help him be calm, rational, and not prone to randomly attempting to conquer the world, or at least take better paths to doing it, why shouldn’t I offer suggestions? Oh, let me be honest. I love the giant stompy robot war mech method of conquering the world. I love the idea of an army of robots at my beck and call, considering I have one. And a flying battleship capable of fighting off horrifying monsters and legendary creatures? Got one of those too. But pointing out the issues I have with that setup and methodology isn’t a bad thing, either.”

Monika: “Oh.”

Erik: “Also, Robotnik? If you want to show what you’ve gotten off that Chaos Emerald, I’ll take a look.”

Sonic: “Any suggestions for what I might be able to do, while we’re at this? I’m a little bored already, and it’s going to be who knows how long before the doctor works things out.”

Monika: “Well, if we’re going to be relying on synthetic Chaos Emeralds for the bulk of Erik’s plan, then we’re going to need something to add extra power to them, won’t we?”

Sonic: “Hmm. What are you thinking, then?”

Monika: “You’re a super fast hedgehog, aren’t you? Your reaction times must be insane.

Sonic: “Yup!”

Monika: “I’m wondering if I could somehow manifest copies of the video games that are active in the system, so you can play them?”

Sonic: “That’s actually not a bad idea. Let me go make some good Chili Dogs compared to the crap set out to lure me in, and I’ll think about it for a bit.”

Monika: “No worries. We’re not going anywhere! Especially with things on pause like this.”

Erik sighs, settling back into his chair as he rubs his temples, thinking. Then pauses, looking over the data Robotnik puts on the screen, before leaning forwards to look at it closer, taking a picture with his mechanical arm as he does so.

Erik: “Reminds me almost of Energen, but if I’m looking at it right, it’s got some sort of self sustaining energy current inside of it, that flows to emotion. Just like the games said.”

For a long while, Erik simply studies it, analyzing it. Then he gets to work, scribbling furiously on the tablet, and making backup pictures using his arm.

Then he settles back again, sending it over.

Erik: “About as good as I can get with a mark one design and no machinery with me. It’ll give you a better analysis, but it should also be able to reproduce some of that, if my gut is right.”

Robotnik: “Well, that shortens things drastically, I’ll admit. And I can see exactly where you’re going with that design, too! Do you mind if I innovate off of it?”

Erik: “Why, I don’t mind at all! Certainly, take my designs and work with them for our project as you please. Us surviving is more important than copyright, right now.”

After that, Erik glances back at the other monitor, only to pause and look at Monika’s sprite. Eyes closed, teeth clenched, as she focuses…

What the ever loving fuck is she doing? I have no idea what she’s up to.
    Then he hears the sound of a microwave dinging somewhere else in the house.

“The fuck…?” Erik mutters aloud.

“Who said that?!” A voice quite similar to Jaleel White echoes through the house.

Then a 16 bit, life sized blue hedgehog sticks his head into the hallway, and blinks to stare at Erik.

“Monika did something, didn’t she?” Erik states aloud.

“Ah, you’re the guy that was in the chat… how do we even explain this mess?” Sonic mutters.

Erik pauses, looks at the anthropomorphic blue hedgehog in front of him, then shrugs. “No clue. Some apple fritters should be in the oven still, but I personally don’t want to test any of the food and drink here.”

Sonic’s gaze pauses, looking over Erik, before moving to the Plain Doll, before he rubs his temples. “Got it. Hey Robotnik! Monika somehow linked wherever we are with wherever the hell Erik is!”

Distantly, both can hear a cry of “I loathe that hedgehog so much!” from an aggravated scientist.

Erik rubs his temples, slowly. “I’d get up and greet you, but there’s supposed to be bad problems with anyone that gets up out of the chair or moves from the computer. Mind if I shake your hand, though?”

Sonic blinks quietly, then smiles, before taking Erik’s flesh and blood hand in for a handshake.

“So, why do you have that ‘blue eyes with black sclera look’, Erik?” Sonic asks, studying Erik’s eyes close.

“I absorbed some obsidian goggles that let me spot weaknesses and lethal spots in machinery, as well as figure out how to fix those spots, when I went from ‘God’ to ‘Partially a Titan’.” Erik admits. “I’m still mostly me, but the mechanical arm sucks.

“Why am I hearing voices…?” Robotnik mutters as he walks through the door, as 16 bit as Sonic is, before turning to look into the room with Erik.

Erik nods at him. “Can’t leave the computer unless I don’t want to find it again. Mind if I get a handshake with you next?”

Robotnik blinks, looking over at the PCs, then rubs his temples. “How on earth did this even happen?” With those words, he strolls over, takes Erik’s hand, then shakes it.

“As a guess? I’m in some sort of ‘model’ of the house of the main character in the visual novel, one made through eldritch bullshit.” Erik admits, shaking Ivo Robotnik’s hand firmly.

“And as such, it probably adjusts itself to not include you if you leave the area of the computer running it?” Robotnik muses aloud.

“Most likely, considering what Monika has said about things.” Erik admits. “Most everyone else took breaks, then disappeared suddenly.”

Robotnik slowly nods, lost in thought for a while. “Why did we end up here, then?”

“Monika was hoping for a way to get Sonic to play a bunch of video games. Maybe this was the best she could do? Or perhaps the house has video game consoles with the games on them?” Erik muses aloud.

“That might be why I can see sort of wisps of something like them, in the chair where her character is located in the game, Erik. It’s blurry to the point where even I can barely see it, but they’re there.” Sonic admits.

Slowly, Erik, Robotnik and the Plain Doll turn to look at the spot.

“I don’t see anything, myself…” Erik admits. “But my eyes aren’t used to the sort of speed they could once handle, either. So I’ll take your word for it.”

“Perhaps it’s because they’re from a video game, that they can see digital life like themselves?” The Plain Doll states aloud, ignoring the sudden jerkings from Sonic and Robotnik alike as they jerk to stare at the talking doll.

“Well, seeing that just destroyed any chance of myself even remotely considering you to be lying.” Robotnik admits after a few minutes.

“No kidding.” Sonic admits, moments later.

Moments later, Robotnik and Sonic both jerk their heads to look at each other, faces showing their minds internal debates on if they want to argue about agreeing with each other.

“So, mind bringing that technology out, Robotnik?” Erik asks, to distract them if nothing else. “I’d like to see if I can’t at least point at where you’re likely to have issues.”

Robotnik rushes back through the hallway, returning moments later with a device. “I just managed to finish it, so let’s see what happens if I show it off, hmm?”

Moments later, Erik’s leaning forwards, studying it. Then he grins. “I can only see three weaknesses in it. Good work!”

“Weaknesses?” Robotnik pauses, studying it carefully. “I can only spot the one from the hasty weld job I did.”

“My obsidian goggles used to let me see the spots where machinery could be destroyed easily, before I tinkered with them and upgraded them to the point where they gave me the weaknesses, rather than just the ‘instantly destroyed, just add laser’ spots. Didn’t show me how to fix the weaknesses, but just spotting the weaknesses helped a lot.” Erik admits. “And when I fused with the damned things, I didn’t lose the ability, even if it left the whites of my eyes permanently black.”

With those words, Erik scribbles out on the CAD system a picture of the three weaknesses, and how to fix them, for Robotnik.

“Oh my, that’s… invaluable to someone like myself. A pity it’s fused with your eyes.” Robotnik admits, looking more than a little covetous.

“Almost makes up for the fact that if I didn’t have a different artifact countering the worst of the issues, I’d probably have my head go ‘pop’ from the potency of the relic, and how bad the migraines were from working with the goggles too long.” Erik admits aloud.

Robotnik frowns, then nods. “Well, if it’s that bad, I suppose I understand, then.”

Sonic pauses, frowning. “When you say ‘pop’, what do you mean?”

“I mean my head exploding like a ripe fruit with a grenade going off in the middle of it.” Erik admits. “Or that’s what it felt close to being like, when I overused them at first.”

Robotnik and Sonic both flinch in unison, before Robotnik slowly nods in understanding.

“Well, can’t really use something like that if that’s the sort of side effects that comes with it.” Robotnik mutters.

“Yeah, I’m still juggling a whole lot of messy ways I could die.” Erik admits, then continues on, smiling. “Now, can you safely bring one of those Chaos Emeralds in here, or…?”

The Chaos Emerald is presented, in all its glory, and Erik is the first to scan it with machinery in his mechanical arm, before smiling. “I can see why you wanted one so badly. It’s a general power source that could fuel a hell of a lot of things…”

Then Erik reaches out, and gently touches the emerald in question.
    Power flares.

EXISTENCE SHIFTS.

Metal flows back into flesh, as for one single moment, Erik is made whole once more, his existenceshifting and flowing as he, upon contact, is restored to the totality of his divine might.

And slowly, Erik, once more the Norse God of Mecha, breathes out and smiles.

“Oh, that feels so good to be fully capable, once more…” Erik quietly murmurs, then looks up at the room, eyes catching so very much more than he once could.

For a moment, he closes his eyes, thinking, then smiles quietly. “So, since this can restore me, let’s get to work. Sonic, go play those games, but skip Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal. The power source is worse than what’s already influencing things here, that’s involved with those games. Ivo Robotnik, let’s make some machinery to save Monika and everyone else involved. With this…” Erik trails off, smiling. “With me like this, we don’t need the mining tools. I can create the metal we need from pure, raw divine power alone.

Ivo Robotnik stares, then slowly starts to grin.

Omake: If Erik tried to rely on Touhou, instead

Tewi smiles at Erik, through the monitor.

Erik pauses, looking back through it, blinking.

“You know that Monty Python based the Dread Rabbit of Caerbannog on my legends in this universe, right? Aside from being the legendary Hare of Inaba and a minor divine being in my own right?” Tewi happily asks.

“Oh, crap.” Erik mutters.

“More than that, I can be just as cruel as any other rabbit, and nearly as sneaky as Bugs Bunny.” Tewi continues.

Double crap.” Erik mutters.

“And you’re not professing your newfound love of rabbits over foxes, why?” Tewi continues, menace dripping out of her voice.

“I’m married to one.” Erik points out.

“And that’s why you’re not getting help from the tricksters here! Ran Yakumo isn’t going to help, and if you’ve got access to another kitsune, it’s ‘clean up her husband’s mess day!’ rather than anything funner. Or funnier. So I’m gonna introduce you to glitter bombs for the next few hours, kay?”

“I have a good apple fritter recipe, and I’ll teach you how to make it, if you don’t prank me, but prank the eldritch beings until I find a way out of this?” Erik asks, hoping that’ll work.

“...Make it carrot cake, and you’ll have a deal.” Tewi admits, after a long hesitant moment leaving Erik paranoid as hell.

“Sounds good. Just give me a moment… actually, would carrot cake taught to you by a fox goddess work better? Even if my wife’s no longer a nine tailed kitsune from the mess we went through, she still was pretty strong by Japan’s standards.” Erik adds in, a minute later after contemplation.

“Sounds extra good!” Tewi smiles widely.

“Upon completion of the work, then.” Erik adds in. “We’ll find a way to find you, and then I’ll give you the recipe.”

“Oh, don’t worry about that. We’ll find you…” Tewi whispers, menacingly.

Triple crap.” Erik mutters.

A few months later:

Tewi smiles as she appears out of a portal, humming. “So, where’s my carrot cake recipe? It better be to die for, considering it’s supposed to be from a kitsune goddess!”

“I can’t tell if your smile is malevolent, or benevolent.” Erik states.

“You recall I mentioned being about as good as Bugs Bunny, right? Have you seen the earlier cartoons?” Tewi asks, all smiles.

“And this is why I had my wife work on the recipe for months straight.” Erik admits.

Author’s Notes:

Passed my Motorcycle Endorsement test!

It left my arms feeling like wet noodles for a few days this last week, however. Perfectly understandable! 5 hours of motorcycle riding, with an hour and a half in the rain is rough, no matter how you do it.

But yes, this is why, regardless of the creative spark, I’ve still been somewhat slow.
    Last edited by RanmaBushiko; November 21st, 2023 at 06:49 PM.

Master of Hermione Alter Kieran's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Just noticed that you forgot to boldface a certain part . . .
    “Love will be cruel to who it entices — love will have its sacrifices.”

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran View Post
    Just noticed that you forgot to boldface a certain part . . .
    Thanks. Sometimes I swear Beast's Lair loathes Google Documents "bold" function. Nothing else! But anything Bold just... poof.

Monika living up to "reality warper". Actually getting cross-cosmology characters there in person is strange, and seems to have even confused Nyarlathotep. You'd think that Sonic would be limited by input delay/actual framerate playing things, but reflexes do matter.
    Looks like we're accelerating the story; giving Erik a full restoration of divinity via Chaos Emerald is likely to dramatically simplify some things. I seem to recall this is between worlds and before he arrives in the Mega Man universe (where he still has the arm?), but also that he doesn't totally remember events here, so this may not last.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Monika living up to "reality warper". Actually getting cross-cosmology characters there in person is strange, and seems to have even confused Nyarlathotep.
    Yup. He's happy that they're starting to see what they wanted, though, but considering even he can't tell how the fuck she's doing it? Confused Eldritch being is confused.

You'd think that Sonic would be limited by input delay/actual framerate playing things, but reflexes do matter.
    Oh, he would be. At the same time, he's likely to be bored and looking over their shoulders, asking what this new stuff does, at every turn otherwise. Erik's smart enough to give the speedy hedgehog something to do that can help out, rather than leave Sonic to his own devices right now.

Looks like we're accelerating the story; giving Erik a full restoration of divinity via Chaos Emerald is likely to dramatically simplify some things.
    For the moment, yes. Though that doesn't make things perfect. You'll see more next chapter.

I seem to recall this is between worlds and before he arrives in the Mega Man universe (where he still has the arm?), but also that he doesn't totally remember events here, so this may not last.
    This is between worlds, yes, but set in between later arcs of the story. The first meeting between Erik and the Plain Doll was between Fate/Anarchy and Fate/Anarchy Shattered Paths. You could say that this is set between Story Arcs 2 (none of which is written) and 3 (where I've got a couple chapters written when stuff hit me, and a lot of notes), while the Saber Alter side story was initially planned for between Story Arcs 1 (where we're at now) and 2.

Still debating how to get that one to work out properly due to shifts in the timeline (Damn it Kieran, damn it Zelretch!), but I do have some ideas in the back of my head...

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Chapter 14: Answers and Plans

“So.” Scylla admits, over the video call, as the screen is lugged along by the Legion of Coal, complete with power cords, and connection cables.

“Hm?” Kur almost growls.

“Not familiar with you as a being, more with you as a ‘place’, to be honest. Anything I should know about you and your history?” Scylla asks, curiously. “The Norse pantheon that my boss was in, and we departed from due to… issues, didn’t know much about the Mesopotamian pantheon, no offense. Best we had to go on was the Epic of Gilgamesh, and you know how mortal reports can get skewed as well as I.” Scylla admits aloud.

“A pity. And the… Norse, was it? They never came to exist in our history, I’m afraid.” Kur muses aloud, almost murmuring to himself more quietly. “Fascinating to hear differences…”

“Unfortunately, multiple pantheons wanting followers tends to not be good for any of the pantheons involved.” Scylla admits, wryly. “Or the creations of minions by enemies of the pantheon, for that matter.”

“Personal experience talking, there?” Kur asks, bemusement in the massive dragon’s voice.

“Yup. Back home, I was made by a nasty bastard, who thought trying to sleep with his pantheon leader’s wife was a brilliant idea, once upon a time.” Scylla admits. “He didn’t get better as he grew older, either.”

Kur slows down, turning to look at the screen showing Scylla. “You poor child.”

Scylla blinks, then smiles. “You’re like my boss in thinking that way. Thanks!”

Kur studies Scylla for a long while, before slowly nodding. “At least one of your number has common sense, then, to not blame a child for the parent’s mistakes. Ereshkigal’s own was not so kind. It’s why she’s been… what’s the phrase? ‘Shacked up with me’ for millennia.”

Scylla tilts his head, thinking over things. “Makes a lot of sense. You’re a lot nicer than the last dragon Boss met, no offense to dragons in general or yourself in particular.”

“Which one?” Kur asks, morbid amusement in his voice.

Fafnir.” Scylla admits.

“Ah, the one depicted in the Norse legends?” Kur muses aloud.

“Complete with a ring that made everyone want to grab at it and claim it.” Scylla acknowledges.

“Hmph. Did he make a good showing of himself, as one of my brethren?” Kur asks.

“He took down my boss’ best mech for the time, and destroyed the damned thing with an entropic spell before going down like a chump to a weapon meant to kill him.” Scylla admits aloud. “Pretty badass, if you ask me.”

Kur snickers. “An entropic death curse, absorbed by the weapon that irritated him most, hmm?”

“Considering most of Erik’s biggest machines are destined to only be destroyed easily in Svartalfheim as a result? It’s useful.” Scylla admits.

Kur glances over, thoughtfully nodding, before pausing. “Not as many encroachments, I see. Interesting.”

“Boss may have killed something linked to it.” Scylla admits. “Not sure exactly what it was, but it was some sort of reality warping virus for machines to make things worse for the civilization up on the surface.”

Kur pauses, the massive dragon turning. “If that’s the case, then it’s good news indeed. Perhaps you would wish to ask a boon of myself or my mistress?”

“Hmm. Better to be talked with by my boss, rather than myself, for that one. Though I wouldn’t mind if you could explain how dragons work as we go?” Scylla muses.

“Certainly. It works as such-” Kur’s voice echoes as he starts going into detail to Scylla.

Neo Arcadia
    30 minutes later

“So. Feeling better?” Erik asks, curiosity in his voice.

“I have the one person I ever regretted killing, giving me a lap pillow. I have a machine somehow haunted by my long dead creator, currently rebuilding my body. And we’re in someplace keeping me from sending communications in and out of the building. Does it look like I’m okay?!” Zero snarks, half glaring for a moment before Iris gives him another hug.

Erik smiles. “Could be worse. At least you didn’t wind up with amnesia!”

“Why are you talking about that like it could have happened?” Zero mutters under his breath.

“Blame your crappy hibernation setup.” Erik states, flatly.

“Oh. Joy.” Zero grumbles.

“Yeah.” Erik nods, quietly. “Add in that Wiel apparently ripped you out of the tube and did shit to you…”

Zero glances over again, silently glaring.

“Soon as we’re done ensuring you don’t transmit all our secrets to anyone linked to you.” Erik admits.

Zero pauses, then tries to sigh.

“Hold still, damn it! I’m not as young as I used to be!” Wily growls. “Why, oh why did I let myself feel pain…” He adds in, a few moments later, more quietly.

“Because you wanted to show off to your rival that you were playing good cop and bad cop games with to fuck with the robotic Oligarchs, and you just kept developing from there on out?” Erik smirks.

“...Right. I showed you the monument. I almost forgot.” Wily sighs.

“Your systems are how badly fucked up after Sigma ripped out a part of your mind and soul?” Erik glances over. “Even with the patch jobs we’ve done, I’m not sure how much longer you have left.”

“Better to save my last son one last time, and show up someone who wanted to outdo everyone in the villain department, than die a martyr for nothing.” Wily mutters.

“Man, this sucks.” Zero mutters.

“Think you could help me with working out how to emulate a Gamecube later?” Erik asks.

“...You have one?” Zero asks, cautiously. “I never did finish Skies of Arcadia…”

“There’s a video game franchise I’d like to introduce you to.” Erik admits.

“The way you’re saying that…” Zero pauses. “How bad is it?”

“You’ll want to be drunk at the end?” Erik half asks, half states.

“...Will this be worse than the time X got so drunk, we found him trying to pose as a male stripper for a bachelorette party?” Zero asks.

“Less funny sounding, at least.” Erik admits, thoughtfully.

Iris on the other hand, is now blinking repeatedly.

“Wait… that was X?!” Iris blinks more, looking at Zero. “Weren’t you supposed to tell me if that was true, Zero?”

“He didn’t tell me the truth until after you were dead, Iris.” Zero admits, exhaustion in his voice.

A long pause, as Iris looks downcast, before giggling. “How on earth did he even get into that position in the first place?” she forces out between giggles.

“All I know is that he insisted it involved some sort of singing fish plaque knocking the actual one for the job out, and he had the drunken idea of replacing the one to ‘help a buddy out’.” Zero admits, grinning a bit. “Something about a Rube Goldberg machine of coincidences and accidents that left him the only one still awake?”

Erik snickers softly at that. “Sometimes the truth is weirder than fiction. Good job distracting everyone with old stories, though!”

Zero softly nods, grinning as well. “You figured it out, huh?”

“You’re stoic while trying to be distracted, but I can tell when someone’s trying to distract everyone with fun war stories.” Erik admits.

Zero nods, thinking. “So, what’s your story?”

“Soon as we’re done making sure you don’t have any transmitters, or any other crap in you from the asshat that left the virus in you.” Erik nods at Zero.

Zero pauses, thinking. “What exactly happened?”

“Someone who praised Wiel as his lord and master was in your body, driving it. Left you with red eyes for that fight.” Erik admits.

Zero’s eyes slowly narrow. “Ah. The body thief, then. Or a copy of him.”

Erik quietly nods.

Fuck.” Zero mutters.

Moments later, everyone in the room pauses as Wily pulls out a small device, before moving it while gloating quietly. “First of three, apparently. He did good work, but it’s not THAT good.”

“Oh?” Erik asks, curiously.

“There’s a certain frequency or signature to his work, now that I can see it. He literally signs his name on all his work’s frequencies, too.” Wily mutters, half under his breath. “Thankfully it’s not broadcasting, but…”

Erik turns on Raika, destroying the object in Wily’s hands.

Wily glances over, then goes wide eyed for a long moment. “Could have warned me first, you know.”

“Considering you mentioned it has transmission frequencies, I’d rather not trigger a failsafe.” Erik retorts.

Wily pauses, then nods. “Fair enough, though it seemed to only receive instead of transmit. Looks like it was meant to work as artificial limiters, so that if Zero ever ran into his bodyjacker again, he’d be more likely to somehow ‘lose’. As well as stuff to ensure he’d lose abilities over time, and start up rather weak. It would take at least a few months of combat to regain most of his fighting edge, but a lot of technology would slowly weaken over time, subtly. Everything from subtly weakening his frame and armor, to ensuring hits would be more likely to hit weak spots, leaving him with less overall health for fights against foes.”

“So when round two came along, Zero would be weaker, or possibly even cannon fodder?” Erik muses aloud. “Or barely scrape out a win, instead of being the fraud’s equal?”

“Exactly. Thankfully, you have me to fix that. And considering how much I know of his systems? We’ll be just fine.” Wily retorts, the smugness of his brilliance in his old voice.

“I can hear that smile, even if I can’t see it.” Erik muses.

“Second one’s out.” Wily admits.

Raika ignites, and moves over so Wily can shove the damned thing into the beam.

After the second device is inserted into the beam, Wily nods, humming thoughtfully as he works.

It takes a while, before he speaks up again. “All the systems are heavily decayed. It looks like you kept getting woken up out of stasis, but it also looks like whatever it was had a side effect of helping your systems out.” Wily admits, frowning. “It looks like the situation you were in was similar to what X went through, after Thomas set him up to go through ethics testing for decades on end.”

Erik muses to himself, before blinking at Ciel speaking up. “Um, is there a reason why the last two devices seem to be under the gem light… things? One’s in the manly boobies area, and the other’s in the helmet, under the gem there.”

Wily pauses.

Erik grins at Wily, pointedly. For a moment, a wordless look between two engineers passes between them. Wily’s expression somehow conveying the phrase “How the hell did you get so lucky as to find her first?!”, with Erik’s smugness just growing bigger.

Wily sighs softly, then looks back at Ciel. “Thank you for pointing that out, young one. It’ll help me out a lot.”

“Mmhmm!” Ciel nods, smiling.

Begrudgingly, Zero’s helmet goes off, followed by both gems on his chest. Then Wily works on finishing prying the last gem loose from the helmet, before extracting the final unit alongside the one hidden under one boob gem.

Moments later, it’s destroyed, and Wily sighs. “Your systems are a wreck, last son of mine. It’s going to take months for me to fix you up properly, but with Wiel likely getting antsy…”

Erik pauses, thinking, then smirks. “There’s a simple answer to that, isn’t there?”

Everyone in the room turns to look at Erik, who smiles and looks even more smug. “Vile has an army, I have an army, and we both love mechs. Let’s do what appears to be a war between us. My troops can get training, I can get used to driving mechs around without my former abilities augmenting me, and it’ll make it look like Zero’s getting slowly repaired over time to ‘help finish Vile off’. Then we just draw things out until we’re all set, find Wiel and kill the fucker.”

Wily pauses, looking almost like he wants to interject, before nodding.

“I like this plan.” Vile grins. “It lets me beat the crap out of your mech with you piloting it, as training!”

“And the resident mecha enthusiast votes ‘Aye’, it seems!” Erik adds in with a grin. Then, after a bit, Erik nods. “And the training is fair. Pushing me to learn more is always a good idea.”

“That, and having time to build upgrades for your Rex?” Wily muses aloud.

“Yeah. It’s still using automatic crossbows in case of underwater fighting.” Erik admits, thinking. “Which could probably have better alternatives, but the ammunition is cheap.”

“Automatic crossbows? I suppose if it’s scaled up and works, that’s not a bad plan.” Wily muses.

“Yeah. I figured out later in life that firearms didn’t work well for deities, but crossbows and bows would. Can’t take advantage of divine might and strength to pull back a two ton draw bow with a gun, after all.” Erik admits, frowning.

“And no amount of gunpowder would let you achieve similar feats, hm?” Wily states, stretching. “Any other benefits?”

“When I’m piloting Rex, it taps into my strength, augmenting the crossbows.” Erik admits.

Wily pauses, blinking, before understanding blooms. “Sneaky engineering?”

Erik grins and nods.

Zero coughs. “Maybe save the engineering details for when you’re not knee deep in my guts?” A dry, sarcastic tone of voice comes from the legendary Reploid.

Iris hums contentedly while giving her ex a lap pillow as two sheepish scientists return to work..

“If I did have arms, this would be easier.” Grouses Zero, calmly. “Now, how about those details?

Meanwhile, in Kur

“So, you have infinite amounts of alcohol on board your ship?” Kur asks, double checking what he’s hearing.

“Oh, yeah. And dwarven made, too! We might be able to figure out how to get another cask running with the same setup for you, if you’re that starved for the stuff.” Scylla admits, smugness in his voice.

Sold!” Kur smiles benevolently, or as benevolently as a massive dragon deprived of good quality booze for millennia can, anyhow. “If we can work this out, I’ll aid your pantheon with whatever we can do!”

“Well, hmm…” Scylla muses over the television screen.

Moments later, it flickers out, as the Legion of Coal introduces yet another extension cord to the cabling mess, before it goes back on.

“Why those cables, anyways?” Kur muses aloud, studying Scylla.

Scylla simply shrugs. “Boss’s wife is smart in ways that men may never fully understand. I’m not going to get her cunning, nor am I even going to try.”

Kur slowly nods, side eyeing the television thoughtfully. “It also gives you an idea if you’ve been traveling down a path before, right?”

“Probably.” Scylla admits. “I’m the former brain in a jar, not the brilliant magnificent bastard my boss can be, but even I know when someone’s running circles around me. And my boss lady does that far too much for her own good.”

Kur snickers softly. “Oh, I feel that, sometimes. But no, the round-about path is to keep your equipment from freezing by accident. My house guest has a tendency to bring oxygen to a liquid form by accident if she’s not careful.”

Kur pauses, then snickers. “That, and she’s a fan of some guy who’s soul she caught. One Kinoko Nasu? He put so much work into that Babylonia series in this universe, she’s been grilling him on writing more ever since.”

“Did he ever cover ideas for Fate/Apocrypha and the Grand Holy Grail War?” Scylla asks. “The story read like fanfiction, but we had to live it in the last universe we were in.”

Kur flinches. “No, but that’s terrifying to hear. Especially with that Chaldea madness…”

“Especially considering Boss has Mordred as a Servant, even after he jumped to this universe?” Scylla muses aloud.

“Ah, Mordred… Mordred…” Kur trails off. “The child of King Arthur, in some settings?”

Scylla nods, before his television flickers off once more.

“Anything else you can tell me?” Kur asks, curiousity in his voice as Scylla’s face reappears on the screen again..

“Well, I know for a fact that boss would kill for some new divine metal to forge with, but making you that cask would probably involve that anyways…” Scylla trails off, amused at Kur’s huff. “Seriously, though? Mordred’s a good person. Wanted to take up her father’s throne to help take the load off her dad, and to prove she could help. Not that I’ll ever call Mordred a ‘her’ to Mordred’s face.”

“Ah. And thus the issues were due to gender?” Kur muses aloud.

“That and Mordred’s mom is a royal cunt, as far as I’ve heard. Maybe there’s an alternative timeline where she wasn’t, and good for that alternative timeline? But the one our Mordred knew was.” Scylla admits.

“So, what of the others of your ‘band of deities’ that your boss was with, anyways?” Kur muses.

“Well, we had one who felt sorry for Ereshkigal when he read about her situation, with some of the myths.” Scylla admits, then continues, a slightly more sly tone to his voice. “And we found what may be his reincarnation. And since I know he deals with servants a fair bit, I know Boss was thinking about asking for a summoning catalyst to send his way, from your house guest.”

In the shadows from where she’s been listening, subtly shadowing the group, Ereshkigal goes very still indeed as the divine goddess blinks repeatedly. A moment later, she mouths the word “What?”, if only to herself.

“Oh? And what, pray tell, did those stories say?” Kur queries.

“It ranged a lot. From Ereshkigal being raped by a man she had to take as a husband as a result of it, to her first husband being used by her sister as a tool of war.” Scylla admits. “Krampus was a scholar of sorts, though one of those types where you never know what he’s going to do until he’s done it. But it’s all to help his people out. And his… reincarnation? Seems to be cut from the same cloth. More knowledge than he should know, plans within plans, but he’s a good person all in all.”

“Oh?” Kur muses aloud, amused. “And why would the summoning catalyst be an idea, then?”

“Well, considering the version we knew and journeyed with managed to get into the pants of the Norse Goddess of Death, I was thinking letting him hook up with the one he always felt sorry for wouldn’t be a bad idea. Or at least to give alternatives to your universe’s Ereshkigal a chance to find a friend, one who’d truly help her out and care.” Scylla admits.

“And what would your boss say, on the other hand?” Kur muses aloud, eyes never leaving Scylla’s television to glance at Ereshkigal, yet projecting smugness somehow her way.

“Probably how much of a fun prank it would be, to see his old friend, the prankster and trickster, being pranked with a sudden goddess in his life, screwing with all his plans by simply existing?” Scylla admits.

Especially” Scylla continues, as if nothing was upsetting the now riled up former brain in a jar, “after my boss gave the reincarnation of our old pal a damned Noble fucking Phantasm of one of his favorite characters in the setting, and he didn’t even realize it, until boss had to tell him.

Kur snickers.

Ereshkigal, in the background, puts her face in her palms.

“And I heard that smack of a face hitting a palm or two.” Scylla states. “Having fun listening to our chat, oh lady Ereshkigal?”

Kur snickers harder.

“You’re not supposed to giggle at my problems, Kur.” Ereshkigal snarks.

“You’re really going to be acting like you’re one to talk, oh house guest of mine?” Kur snaps back.

Ereshkigal softly sighs, rubbing her temples. “Sometimes I wonder why I deal with you, then I remember exactly why.”

“It doesn’t hurt that you named your domain after me.” Kur snarks, before looking less annoyed.

“I apologize for the rough initial treatment, as well as the long journey. The graves of the deceased former Gods and Demigods all have frozen over due to the sheer lack of divinity, leaving much of my domain a frozen wasteland. Much like Nasu’s depiction of it, ironically enough.” Ereshkigal admits, frowning. “Unfortunately, my recruiting him didn’t help me find a fix for it…”

Scylla nods, his avatar on the screen bowing. “I would have journeyed there personally, but I’m mostly working on rebuilding the Wolfen, and your domain is legendary for being extremely hard to escape from. If you had locked myself in by accident, things could have turned out bad for my Boss.”

“It isn’t quite so bad, in this day and age, but it once was.” Ereshkigal nods. “Kur doesn’t eat all the house guests anymore, though he does miss properly cooked meat.”

“Considering there’s a rather large wasteland for most of the world, that might be hard to come by in quantities that could feed a dragon…” Scylla admits, mulling over things for a while.

“Unless your boss makes something to produce food, like he did beer?” Kur muses.

“...We’d need help with figuring out what the hell happened to one Relic that resulted in it pumping out pink goo, rather than replicate materials put into it, after we jumped universes the first time.” Scylla admits, thinking.

“Ah.” Ereshkigal hums to herself, arms folded.

“On a side note, is there any idea from you two why one of our crew members now has a Dungeons and Dragons style stat sheet when she meditates?” Scylla queries. “She ran into Energen, and then…”

“It resulted in crazy powers?” Ereshkigal nods. “We both saw similar occurrences before, with Energen, when it first appeared. Robots and people alike coming down with crazy powers, and abilities. I theorized that it was from Legend being transformed into something else, but I could never really prove it.

“Hmm.” Scylla mulls it over, listening.

“I saw one person that could turn people temporarily into some robots, another that was capable of turning invisible, and a third that was capable of using a divine ability to conjure lightning without divine heritage. Unfortunately for the three involved, the overuse broke things in their bodies, their mortal shells not able to handle the raw might pumping through them due to the Energen.” Ereshkigal admits, her arms folded. “They exist in my domain, but with the Energen not around them, their abilities are a pale shadow of what they could have achieved if they’d survived.

“Because they didn’t have Magic as a buffer.” Scylla nods, thinking.

“Quite likely, yes.” Ereshkigal nods. “It also may have to do with your having ‘jumped universes’?”

“Do you want the highlights? Or just the video?” Scylla asks, checking carefully.

Kur pauses, looking over at Ereshkigal, who meets the dragons gaze thoughtfully.

“Video.” The two chime in unison.

“Thankfully we brought a television for this!” Scylla admits.

“After seeing this, we’ll work out trade deals for you and yours, in return for needed supplies on our end. Would that be fair?” Kur states.

Scylla nods, grinning. “Sure! Now, let me present the clusterfuck that had us jumping universes, and then the Greater Grail War that left us jumping universes a second time!

Author’s Notes:
    Yeah, this… took a while. Blegh.

Trying to get Ereshkigal down is hard when Rin isn’t involved as a sort of tsundere buffer to keep Ereshkigal from being scary is hard. Thankfully, it’s more of a Scion 2nd edition twist than a Fate/Grand Order twist, for everyone involved.

Blog Entries
    I sense a migraine in Frid's future - and far worse than the one brought on by his current surroundings . . .

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Ah, we're back on the present day/main plot again... and that's certainly a way to justify Godafrid finding otherwise-implausible catalysts. Also, some very literal Death of the Author.

A fake war as a way to delay the serious conflict is an effective approach as long as they can keep up the facade; Erik likely benefits from the extra time more than Weil will.

Blog Entries
    Ah, we're back on the present day/main plot again... and that's certainly a way to justify Godafrid finding otherwise-implausible catalysts. Also, some very literal Death of the Author.
    And an unexpected one, at that. He has me proof-reading the chapters in addition to periodic discussions, and I still didn't see that coming . . .

A fake war as a way to delay the serious conflict is an effective approach as long as they can keep up the facade; Erik likely benefits from the extra time more than Weil will.
    And an approach he's used before, in the mecha game he ran . . . Amusingly? We only recently discovered that Azur Lane's antagonists had a similar motivation and approach; given his association with shipgirls now (albeit, from the other game), perhaps there's more truth to the concept of Fatebinding than we think . . .?
    Last edited by Kieran; December 17th, 2023 at 12:02 PM.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Chapter 15: Of Possible Alliances, Meetings and Warfare

Kur, deep below the modern day locations of Iran and Iraq

Ereshkigal and Kur both look at each other, silently.

“Their issues are different.” Kur finally states.

“And their skill sets aren’t the same.” Ereshkigal admits, pondering.

For a long while, both just sit across from the two Legion of Coal units, pondering.

“I’m going to have to journey out and meet your ‘Boss’ personally, I think. It should take approximately a month to leave, with the one route we’ve left open.” Ereshkigal admits, frowning silently. “Your drilling machine looks to be almost broken, as it stands, and I don’t think it uses our Strong Copper as part of its internals.”

“A variant we’ve never heard of, I presume?” Scylla asks, eyes narrowed in thought.

“Oh, indeed.” Ereshkigal admits, a smile on her face. “It’s old, but rather good for nails.

“Would you have any weapons, or equipment you’d be wanting to see repaired? I’m sure we could do more than a bit of help for each other…” Scylla trails off, thinking about how to word things better.

Ereshkigal blinks, then smiles quietly. “I’d enjoy that, I think. Perhaps your boss would know better ways of repairing some of the equipment we’d left, when random spirits and powers came only to die here from the endless waves and assaults.”

Scylla’s face nods on the screen. “We’ll see you in a month then. The drilling machine has maps, and the two Legion of Coal units have radios so we can find you, if you bring them with.”

“Sounds like a plan!” Ereshkigal smiles, the smile of a leader.

After the television screen turns off, Ereshkigal turns towards Kur. “We’re not alone anymore.”

“No, we’re not, it seems.” Kur admits, thoughtfully.

“Their ways are definitely different than ours, though.” Ereshkigal muses, thinking.

“And they’ll be helpful for us in the long run.” Kur replies. “But you’re lonely, aren’t you?”

“We both are, don’t deny it. You’re the only source of heat down here that’s left at this point.” Ereshkigal quietly points out.

“Not to mention that you haven’t brought up issues with the millennia of robotic assaults by what Scylla described as ‘Stardroids’, if weaker than the last one, and without giant apocalyptic meteors. Not to mention the occasional ‘lookalikes with different names of that Duo, the white giant’, either, and how many deities he killed, including your husband. Or how we dealt with most until human civilization grew strong enough to handle it themselves, so we could finally catch a break…?” Kur continues.

Um…” Ereshkigal blushes quietly.

“Is it really that hard, Ereshkigal?” Kur grumbles.

“I mean…” Ereshkigal quietly sighs aloud, before rubbing her temples. Then she nods, quietly.

“I miss having people around me. I miss Nergal, even if he was a thorn in my back side, always trying to challenge me to show his dominance. I miss my sister, I miss my dad. I miss so much… and now someone’s here, and different…” Ereshkigal trails off, then sighs. “I’m lonely with only you as my friend, Kur.”

“And the millennia long dry spell with your husband long dead, doesn’t help?” Kur snarks.

“I swear I’ll have a dragon skin rug if you continue with that!” Ereshkigal snarls.

Kur smirks, the smirk of the smug. “Promises, promises!” The dragon’s smirk deepens. “I recall your sister screaming the same thing before I ate her.

“Didn’t she survive and crawl out of your butt?” Ereshkigal shoots back.

“Yes, but she didn’t enjoy the trip, that’s for sure!” Kur smugs, the smug of one who knows he’d win a fight between the two of them.

Ereshkigal pauses, then sighs softly. “What do we do, Kur? Fresh divine blood that might be able to help, but I don’t think they’ll be sticking around.”

“Be as helpful to our father as possible, maybe?” One of the two Legion of Coal units snarks.

“Just keep in mind that our father’s married.” The other one adds in, helpfully.

“And why haven’t you really talked much?” Kur asks, curiosity in his voice as he turns to look at the two.

“Thinking is hard.” The first admits. “It’s easier to listen to our father’s orders than to think for ourselves, with how much of a strain it can be to our systems.”

“Aww. That’s sad to hear.” Ereshkigal admits, frowning. “Is there anything you know about why?”

“We don’t have a good enough source of mystical copper for our systems.” The second one admits. “Or any, for that matter. Divinely made is not the same as divinely augmented.

“Would that be a good bargaining chip for what we’d want, perhaps?” Ereshkigal muses.

“You’d need a literal mountain’s worth of the stuff to help everything our father’s made.” The first unit nods, thinking slowly.

“But if you could somehow provide that? It would be worth a lot. Especially if the stuff’s good for wiring. The sheer amount of machinery father has made that uses copper…” The second one trails off.

Then they both look at each other. “We just gave an advantage to someone we don’t know much about, huh?” Both state in unison.

“Now now, your father wants to be my friend, right? So why don’t we go and talk about any issues he might have that a friendly death goddess could solve for him, hmm?” Ereshkigal muses.

The first unit looks at the second, obviously thinking. Then both mimic sighing sounds. “Well, there is one thing…”

“We’ve got a month to go, we can talk it over as we walk!” Ereshkigal smiles benevolently. Or perhaps malevolently? Neither of the Legion of Coal units can tell.

“So, why claim Kinoko Nasu’s soul when he died, anyways?” The second unit asks, curiosity in it’s voice.

“The sheer amount of people that decided I was a cute, red eyed blonde tsundere may not have been proper worship, per say, but it still influenced me.” Ereshkigal admits, before frowning. “Now, about that one thing. I don’t want to have to walk for a month, only to find out we forgot something back here!

1 Month Later
    Space Station Ragnarok

Wiel silently sits, looking over the copy of the newspaper delivered to him by one of a few loyal spies left from Neo Arcadia’s ranks.

Then back at the spy in question, who started as an ancient yellow Shitapper unit, modified to look more like modern reploids.

This is all you managed to find?” Wiel asks, dryness in his voice.

“Everyone else died, Lord Wiel.” The mook reploid admits. “As far as I can tell, I’m the only one left in your organization with access to paperwork, who hasn't died from Vile’s sneak attack on the Gentle Judges and the perimeter.”

Wiel frowns, harder. “And how long would it take before I’d gotten it otherwise? Considering this looks to be a newspaper of all things…” he trails off, frowning and looking closer at it. “Ah. That scientist from another universe published this drivel?”

“Apparently he doesn’t like the looks of the local data network, and no one’s managed to get a data tap on his computers, my lord. They’re too old.” The mook replies, frowning.

“A pity, that.” Wiel admits, frowning.

“More than that, with your agents in the Gentle Judges missing and presumed dead?” The disposable mook bows his head. “I have no clue how to continue, my Lord.”

“Hmm. You’re in charge of spycraft, then. Would you be able to recruit that one fellow in the newspaper as an option?” Wiel muses, as he mulls over the paper.

“I’m afraid he’s too hard-headed, and seems to be carrying a torch for a human coworker, my Lord.” The rather disposable mook admits, frowning.

A long sigh erupts from Wiel, before he rubs the dome his head’s stuck in, silently. “Okay. Okay, maybe I can salvage this…

“Considering the newspaper’s supposed to be broadcast in the next few days, or weeks, you have time to plan, my Lord?” The mook admits, thinking.

“Very true. I’ll have to step back, and watch the mess.” Wiel admits, before sighing. “So it was Vile, then. How irritating that my genius in subverting the Gentle Judges has been laid awry from an old war reploid?”

“Considering we have a crazy scientist with mecha willing to fight the ancient war reploid, at least you can take advantage of things to destabilize both sides, my Lord?” Wiel’s companion in the room states, mulling over things. “It might not be my place to figure out how, but at least we can anticipate him?”

“And if we anticipate his movements, a visit from Omega to them when they both inevitably hurt each other would be appropriate, I suppose.” Wiel nods, thoughtfully. “Even weakened, Omega still should be enough to handle a human scientist in a damaged mech, and a centuries-old war reploid… good job, my minion!”

“Is this worth a name, my Lord?” The nameless mook asks, curiosity in his voice.

“Perhaps Double would be fitting? I recall reading of a double agent that once harried X by that name.” Wiel muses.

“That would be a wonderful name, Lord!” The newly named Double bows. “Now to try and spread out your work through Neo Arcadia once more! For the glory of you, Lord Wiel!”

Energen Mine
    Near the Wolfen
    (The same one Fiore visited before, quite a few chapters ago)

Tamamo Ulricson hums, as she works, one eye focused on the two command spells on her right hand.

When the first one appeared, she’d had an idea on what to do, if a bare one. Now, with the second one having formed? Mere hours before the arrival of a fellow Goddess, Ereshkigal? She’d dropped everything to put her plan into motion.

“So, why are we down here, anyways?” Fiore muses.

“You’re the only one to have seen the ritual.” Tamamo admits. “And this plot has been long in coming.”

“I mean, she’s just one goddess, right? Why are you so worried…? Fiore asks, then pauses at the look on Tamamo’s face.

“A goddess known for insane stamina. A goddess known for being a beautiful underworld maiden, and a virgin goddess. Getting near my man?!” Tamamo snarls the last words, before she breathes out slowly.

“Pardon, that was… not very gracious of me. I know my husband loves me, but… I want to be sure he still sees me as the better option. Not drop me like a rock for a fully powered goddess that might be able to help him better.” Tamamo admits, sheepishly.

“You know he loves you, right?” Fiore finally states, flatly.

“And with how many divine things that Ereshkigal could be sitting on, what’s the chance that she has something to make my husband love her more, or mess with him somehow? Especially considering Ishtar and what she wanted to do to Gilgamesh…” Tamamo trails off with her admission, before sighing.

“Didn’t she want to forcibly marry Gilgamesh, and threatened people if he didn’t do what she wanted…?” Fiore mulls over things, before wincing. “Ah. In hindsight, I see your point now. Questions withdrawn, then.”

“Indeed. If she’s anything like her sister was, then she’ll try to take him through brute force.” Chiron admits, his arms folded.

Tamamo simply nods, then breathes out slowly, as she straightens up. “So, let’s get this over with, before the sheer terror of not doing my wifely duties, or my divine duties to ensure my house is perfect for a guest coming starts to mess with me.”

With those words, she strides forth into the carefully inscribed circle, the work of over an hour.

And the summoning catalyst within it, carefully taken from her husband’s Wolf Wing. Still covered with a truly one of a kind catalyst. The blood of a True Ancestor still glistens on the blade, her work proving perfect in what she’d done to contain the catalyst so not a single drop would escape.

“Let silver and iron be the essence.” Tamamo intones.

Deep below her, the massive Energen reservoir that she stands over, flickers.

“Let metal and the archduke of contracts be the foundation. And let our faction be the one I pay tribute to.” Tamamo continues, power flickering around her, as it ripples along the summoning circle.

Fiore nods, folding her arms as she watches carefully, along with Chiron beside her.

“Let rise a wall against the wind that shall fall. Let the four Cardinal Gates close. Let the three-forked road from the crown reaching unto the Kingdom rotate.” Tamamo continues intoning, ignoring the twin command spells upon the back of her right hand starting to glow a brilliant red.

Deep below, the energen reserves, having stolen so much from humanity, finds itself as a battery, energy ripping out of it to service the ritual above.

“Let it be declared now; your flesh shall serve under me, and my fate shall be with your sword. Submit to the beckoning of the Holy Grail. Answer, if you would submit to this will and this truth.” Tamamo calls out, her voice almost beseeching as she does so. As she does, blue spirals of energy emerge from the ground, flooding the sigil below her with power.

“An oath shall be sworn here! I shall attain all virtues of all of Heaven; I shall have dominion over all evils of all of Hell.” Tamamo calls out, her entire body almost straining to keep her arm up, as she focuses this spell she’s casting.

Then, with finality, Tamamo’s voice comes out, one last time, in a rising scream: “From the Seventh Heaven, attended to by three great words of power, come forth from the ring of restraint, protector of the holy balance!”

Deep below, the massive Energen deposit fades, crystal shattering to nothingness as the potential of humanity’s hopes and dreams is ripped away from it, giving rise to a hero that might be able to save them, rather than the power source it had become.

Elsewhere, Altrouge Brunestud smiles as somewhere, somehow, her work has been extended from the time limit that shefeared most.

Finally? Most importantly? Deep within the mind of Arcueid Brunestud, a flicker of her power vanishes, and a bemused ancestor focuses, aiding the process as he sends a fragment of himself along with the spark forming the spiritual core of his daughter’s new second body.

Above, Tamamo looks up, ignoring the shining light, as power slowly forms into the shape of a woman.

Then she goes to one knee, as she suddenly feels the massive straining drain of the Servant she’s chosen for herself, with no Holy Grail to support things.

Slowly, Tamamo Ulricson slowly pulls herself up, before focusing.

One eye is purple. The other is red. But the figure before her is undoubtedly the figure of Arcueid Brunestud, as a Berserker.

“Tell me, do you remember myself and my husband…?” Tamamo asks, cursing herself for the weakness in her voice.

Slowly, Arcueid nods, eyes looking upon the knife with recognition.

Tamamo slowly nods, before she focuses. “By the power of this command spell, lessen your Madness Enhancement when you’re not in combat, so you can converse with us!”

“Mmm. It’s hard to think.” Arcueid admits, rubbing her temples.

“Sorry.” Tamamo admits. “I’ve only got one command spell left, and this was a knee jerk reaction to be stuck in a bunch of messes.”

“You didn’t…” Arcueid beings, then winces harder. “Slow thoughts. Fun thoughts. …Shiki thoughts?

“Take your time.” Tamamo admits. “My husband figured out how to build a machine that generates more Command Spells, but we’ve been warned against communicating with your faction, due to… issues with how many timelines sprouted as a result of the mess we all barely managed to survive.”

Arcueid slowly nods, mind slowed in thought.

“I summoned you, because we’ve got a new goddess on her way. I’m still weakened, Erik… lost his divinity as a result of the fight with Ymir, and we’re down to Servants alone. You and you alone are the best option I could think of to give us a chance against the possible threat of a bonafide goddess.” Tamamo admits. “And this is Ereshkigal we’re talking about. I’m worried that she might try to steal my Erik from me… because her sister didn’t care about people’s feelings when she wanted them.”

Arcueid blinks quizzically at Tamamo.

“It’s the same as if Ciel came along and stole Shiki so you could never see him again.” Tamamo admits, dumbing it down.

For one single moment, Arcueid almost doesn’t comprehend the words coming from Tamamo.

Then comprehension hits her, as a snarl builds up deep within the True Ancestor’s throat.

Tamamo quietly nods, and gives Arcueid a hug. “And that’s why I summoned you.” Tamamo admits.

Arcueid looks up, snarl fading as she looks into the happy smile on Tamamo’s face. Then slowly, the True Ancestor smiles back.

“Don’t wanna lose Shiki…” Arcueid admits, after a bit. “I’ll help.

“It seems like a command spell was only barely enough to help you think straight, and it’s slow, at that. I might have to go with two in order to help you properly.” Tamamo admits. “But you’re adorable in that dress, and I’m sure we’ll get along just fine!”

Arcueid nods, thoughts slowly going through her head at the pace of molasses dripping off a spoon.

Then her stomach rumbles ominously.

“Right… we need to feed you a lot to make up for the energy drain on me, don’t we?” Tamamo admits.

“And we’ve got maybe an hour of preparation time for that Goddess that’ll be arriving at the Wolfen soon.” Fiore pitches in.

“I’ll get the sigil dealt with, you all get back, and try to do it stealthily. We don’t want Neo Arcadia blaming us for… whatever’s gone on with the Energen here.” Chiron points out.

Slowly the three look at the now dead Energen in the cave that once gave Fiore her character sheet.

“Good idea!” Tamamo admits, shivering. “Thankfully, I’m good enough that we can sneak around even if I’m holding a giant ball of light in my hands!”

“I’ll want to hear that story later.” Chiron admits. “If only to have an idea on how to teach my future students that trick...

Fiore nods her assent as well, eyes wide with curious interest as she follows Tamamo out of the place they’re in.

Wiel, ironically, would rage and scream when he finally snuck into the mine in the not so distant future. The hidden stockpile of Energen that he’d saved up, assassinating people that found it, telling no one about for centuries for a stockpile…? Only to find it had somehow been “mined clean” with only useless slag remaining where the abundant Energen supply he’d taken a century to find, would have been at. And he would be ranting furiously, for that was the main source he’d been planning on getting the Energen for his space station’s planned upon death laser.

Two Hours Later
    Battleship Wolfen’s Remains

Tamamo watches Ereshkigal approach while riding a dragon.

Slowly, Tamamo’s eyes glance over her husband’s Legion of Coal, the remaining mecha units, and everything else standing at attention in the apocalyptic wasteland’s sun.

Then her eyes turn to look at the figure in the distance, guided by two Legion of Coal units back to her home.

“Erik’s late, isn’t he?” Fiore muses.

“I just received a status update.” Iris reports. “He’ll be back in half an hour. Fighting with Vile’s forces took longer than usual.”

Tamamo just nods as she thinks.

Then her eyes catch one tiny little detail, leaving the kitsune smiling softly to herself.

Smiling, Tamamo pulls out an umbrella before walking out, dressed in an elaborate kimono decorated with foxes chasing mecha much like a dog might chase a car’s bumper.

Blonde hair awaits her, with red eyes. No twintails, but Tamamo hums as she gets closer.

“Your looks are reminiscent of a television show and video game.” Tamamo calls out.

“Did you know that video games can count as worship? The same with fanfiction?” Ereshkigal asks, irritation in her voice.

“No, but that would make sense.” Tamamo admits. “Welcome to the Wolfen. My husband is still about half an hour out, but would you like to come in for tea and snacks?”

“Why on earth do you look like the Caster from Fate/Extra, admittedly with a great many white streaks in your hair?” Kur rumbles.

“Why, I’m the kitsune that the Caster was based off of, of course! Tamamo Ulricson, daughter of Amaterasu, Goddess of Happy Housewives amongst other things. And with my seperating myself from the divine trappings the Norse put upon me when I joined my husband's pantheon, of course my hair would return from white to pink!” Tamamo smiles, introducing herself as a proper lady should.

Ereshkigal’s smile goes brittle, as she realizes that yes, one of the Three Great Beasts of Japan is in front of her, and married to the man she’s gone to meet.

Kur simply snickers.

Author’s Notes:

Hope you’re all having a wonderful New Year, and had a good Christmas! And no one expected Tamamo to be this cunning, hmm? Of course, this has complications, because Fate/Extra’s Arcueid was effectively doing something like emulating being a Berserker in the first place…

Author's Notes Mark 2, AKA Where the hell I've been:
    So... it's kinda been a while.

My apartment may have gotten just a tiny bit flooded from a water line exploding in the attic, flooding both apartments above me, then mine.

And I may have gotten two thirds of my apartment wet, with my electronics the only things spared.

And I may be in the process of moving apartments. So yeah. Sorry about the lateness of this. It's been done for a month, but with what happened, I haven't been able to relax and post, or write, or... well. Much of anything, really. So yeah, updates are going to be slow.
    Last edited by RanmaBushiko; February 18th, 2024 at 11:20 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RanmaBushiko View Post
    Author's Notes Mark 2, AKA Where the hell I've been:
    So... it's kinda been a while.

My apartment may have gotten just a tiny bit flooded from a water line exploding in the attic, flooding both apartments above me, then mine.

And I may have gotten two thirds of my apartment wet, with my electronics the only things spared.

And I may be in the process of moving apartments. So yeah. Sorry about the lateness of this. It's been done for a month, but with what happened, I haven't been able to relax and post, or write, or... well. Much of anything, really. So yeah, updates are going to be slow.
    To be fair, I forgot that you hadn't posted it, either - granted, with my memory, that's not hard, but . . . *Shrugs*

It still reads well, (though "rageandscream" should be multiple words, not one - sorry I missed it).

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran View Post
    To be fair, I forgot that you hadn't posted it, either - granted, with my memory, that's not hard, but . . . *Shrugs*

It still reads well, (though "rageandscream" should be multiple words, not one - sorry I missed it).
    Sometimes, the italics quotes somehow switches from one space to none with Beast's lair taking out a space in the formatting between sentences. Unfortunately. Fixed, though.