Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is Sakurai Hikaru a good author?

I've never read anything they've made, but I've never heard anything bad about Fate/Prototype on here. I do think it's kind of silly that this has to be asked though.
    They can't be that bad.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrapnel View Post
    Bob the Builder's evil twin.
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperial View Post
    HF felt like Nasu holding up a megaphone and screaming, "LOOK AT HOW SAD THIS IS! ISN'T IT SAD? YOU SHOULD FEEL SAD!"

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Altaris View Post
    > Einzbern

> Making smart decisions

Pick one

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    Palingenesis just sounds like we're creating Sarah Palin.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftovers View Post
    >tfw you betray your ideals to get some

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizukume View Post
    In short, Japan's syncretism BS striked again.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by castor212 View Post
    Curse
    Blessing
    of the Boobs

Quote Originally Posted by SpoonyViking View Post
    Interesting! So all (most?) Crypter scenes are written by Nasu?
    There was an interview that essentially said what I mentioned above, so yeah, presumably. In fact, I think this has been brought up in interviews multiple times now, but I can't find it amongst all my notes because discord search function is shit.

In another Q&A they asked "Among the 7 Crypters, who was the first to be fully written?", to which Nasu answered "Kirschtaria was the first. After that, the rest were made at the same time. Kadoc, Ophelia, and Akuta were all created by their chapters' writers, and later incorporated into the script. Pepe was made by me, but the writer of the Indian lostbelt is someone else." so based on this I think it's safe to assume that ALL crypter scenes don't have to be written by Nasu (but would still be supervised obviously) if they're just random scenes rather than big set pieces, as long as they stay consistent with the rest.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    She's more competent a writer than pretty much everyone on this forum - and yet FGO is still bad. Explain that, reddit
    This is just the TM version of Stephenie Meyer. Everyone going around saying "she's so bad lol" yet she's beloved by her actual demographic and is widely successful. Really makes you think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Ugh cokesakto no no no
    Quote Originally Posted by Neir View Post
    your ability to be wrong about literally everything you post is truly astounding. Even a broken clock is right twice a day, but you haven't been right once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kateikyo View Post
    The gay pics were the most entertaining thing going on in this discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by fumei View Post
    Everyone going around saying "she's so bad lol" yet she's beloved by her actual demographic and is widely successful. Really makes you think.
    Sakurai really is the ideal writer for the fandom, I'm excited to see her take on more responsibilities and truly start carrying the Fate brand in the future.

other side of Red Garden AmADo VII's Avatar
    she's beloved by her actual demographic
    Kinoko is one of them obviously.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Sakurai really is the ideal writer for the fandom, I'm excited to see her take on more responsibilities and truly start carrying the Fate brand in the future.
    Yeah.

Eventually we'll all get out of this rut of denial and just accept the facts.
    Ugh cokesakto no no no
    your ability to be wrong about literally everything you post is truly astounding. Even a broken clock is right twice a day, but you haven't been right once.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    In another Q&A they asked "Among the 7 Crypters, who was the first to be fully written?", to which Nasu answered "Kirschtaria was the first. After that, the rest were made at the same time. Kadoc, Ophelia, and Akuta were all created by their chapters' writers, and later incorporated into the script. Pepe was made by me, but the writer of the Indian lostbelt is someone else." so based on this I think it's safe to assume that ALL crypter scenes don't have to be written by Nasu (but would still be supervised obviously) if they're just random scenes rather than big set pieces, as long as they stay consistent with the rest.
    Again, interesting! Thanks for explaining.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AmADo VII View Post
    Kinoko is one of them obviously.
    We can't all be perfect.

JP Friend Code
    nonexistant
    Any Kirschtaria scene would've been Nasu, if that's what you're talking about. Otherwise I'm a bit lost.
    It was a Kirschtaria scene yes.

Rule of thumb is that Nasu writes every before they set foot in the Lostbelt (Chaldea setup, transport aboard the Border), any similar epilogue stuff (I think he's said after you beat the Lostbelt king it's him again), and then in the actual chapter he'll write Crypters, Beasts (mostly, this one doesn't seem as clear cut), and characters that "span multiple chapters" to ensure consistency there.
    Had no idea the process was so baton-passy. I thought Nasu mostly just oversaw the lostbelts and chimed in with "Uhm actually" vetos rather than actually writing portions of them himself. That's cool stuff.
    So in the end my favorite scene being a quasi-solo Kirschtaria scene was probably penciled by Nasu. There's no escape from that man.
    burn your dread you coward

I never really got the circlejerk around sakurai as much as others. But what Is there style anyway?

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Sakurai created Marie and is thus forgiven for her myriad sins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxAkito View Post
    Like how BotW is a great game but an awful Zelda game, Hikaru Sakurai is an awful fate author but a great author.
    what the actual fuck makes a good zelda game then
    Like honestly, everything past the first zelda is a linear, turn-your-brain-off difficultyless light medieval fantasy romp with uber shit story, and they're either enjoyable but kind of forgettable or just plain mediocre. BotW finally made something that doesn't try to shoehorn in any sorry attempt at story more than the obligatory cutscenes (which are far more spaced out than the previous mainline games), and actually makes the vast 90% part of the game - following the path - actually interesting since the path isn't laid out with neon signs and road barriers at every turn. Any great zelda games that have come out are the ones that specifically go against the typical Zelda grain, and BotW manages to do that by harkening back to the original in the best way possible.
    Call me 想φαγω.
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooncake View Post
    I get this vague feeling from your posts that you're looking down on people who don't share your view, which is what it is, but at least take a moment to snort some common sense between those hits of pretension.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
    My opinion is better than your opinion, so it isn't up for debate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun
    Telling us that you're rich is not going to make anyone stop laughing at you for believing in self-insert NTR.
    Quote Originally Posted by ResidentSeagull View Post
    You seriously underestimate the human potential for wanting to fuck stuff, my dude.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan
    Welcome to BL, new user. Don't forget to fate/stay mad

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Am I missing something or is your point really that new entries should focus on appealing to people who don't like the series?

Blog Entries
    No, my point is that whatever was there of a 'good' zelda game was not that good in the first place, and BotW manages to spell that off by recouping what was there in the first game and then lost in subsequent entries.
    Call me 想φαγω.
    Spoiler:
    I get this vague feeling from your posts that you're looking down on people who don't share your view, which is what it is, but at least take a moment to snort some common sense between those hits of pretension.
    Telling us that you're rich is not going to make anyone stop laughing at you for believing in self-insert NTR.
    You seriously underestimate the human potential for wanting to fuck stuff, my dude.

I bet you like weapon durability?

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Temflakes403 View Post
    No, my point is that whatever was there of a 'good' zelda game was not that good in the first place, and BotW manages to spell that off by recouping what was there in the first game and then lost in subsequent entries.
    This is the worst take in this thread.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Byegod View Post
    I bet you like weapon durability?
    Everything has flaws, and at the very least weapon durability is an attempt at forcing the player to explore the other options in combat. It does get annoying fast though.
    Call me 想φαγω.
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Temflakes403 View Post
    Not only do I disagree, but I think you're wrong, too.
    Ugh cokesakto no no no

US Friend Code
    I haven't read Fragments or her non-TM stuff, so can only comment on GO (and also only on her style when filtered through a translation).

I thought Olympus was for the most part just okay, remember quite enjoying Shimousa, and don't remember liking Gotterdammerung all that much. I think the vitriol directed at her sometimes seems really exaggerated. But I also think her biggest flaw that I can see is maybe repetition? Like all of GO's writers have characters they enjoy and use a lot - a Higashide story is likely to have an Apocrypha character or two, for example - but I feel like for Sakurai she not only repeats using the same charaacters a lot, but also repeats the same joke or plot point with them a lot. Like how many times have Edison, Tesla, and Helena had the exact same argument, or how many times has Dantes appeared for only one scene to save us from a mental attack and then not showed up again for the rest of the chapter?

I also feel like her repetitiveness sometimes extends to her dialogue writing. I felt like a lot of dialogue in Olympus, especially from Mash, felt like talking in circles and stating the same thing as each other in just slightly different wording.

On the other hand (and this is something Lobo brought up yesterday in the TM Ace thread), to me Sakurai feels like she does the best job of integrating a Servant's historical background into their stories. Other writers tend to bend or stretch things (Nasu loves his syncretism), which to be clear I'm not saying is necessarily bad since at the end of the day what matters is that these characters are interesting and work as characters, not that they stick to the words in the history books. But I think Sakurai tries her best to keep them more anchored in their source material.
    Last edited by Reign; April 6th, 2022 at 01:21 PM.

Raikou syncrenetism was nasu right?