Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Is Sakurai Hikaru a good author?

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I'm not even saying it's a problem, it's just weird since she clearly likes the character enough to keep feauring him.

JP Friend Code
    Which servant and how many of them are to be featured in a chapter is decided by the whole writer team especially Takeuchi and Nasu tho. Even if Sakurai wants to use Dantes every time it wouldn't be possible.

マリーの味方
    wtf everyone told me sakurai is the shadow boss of TM who controls nasu like a puppet...

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I wouldn't say Dantes is featured most of the times he's used.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesto View Post
    wtf everyone told me sakurai is the shadow boss of TM who controls nasu like a puppet...
    /fgog/ is a cesspool and thus should not be counted as human opinions

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    I wouldn't say Dantes is featured most of the times he's used.
    Yeah Dantes is closer to being a cameo than actually featuring in the story. Of all his main story pop ups I think Olympus felt the most naturally integrated to the very least.

マリーの味方
    Quote Originally Posted by mami-kouga View Post
    /fgog/ is a cesspool and thus should not be counted as human opinions
    based and true

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    As for my own thoughts on Sakurai- that's...a tough one? I have an attachment to her, as she's the writer whose creative work both in an out of the game are a bit more configured to my tastes (I'm still slowly trying to get through Sharnoth thanks to my low attention span for VNs) but she's got specific quirks and that can bother even me who likes her prose.

Her dialogue can get rather circular, the banter in LB2 was mostly unengaging to me (I went from liking Napoleon's appearance since he reminded me of Impey to finding him kind of annoying), there's a bothersome habit of hyping when she does much better with less words, her characters tend to die shortly after they actually show their interiority which can leave one feeling like they could have been used better, there are maybe too many mummy type characters under her thumb,etc. On the other hand, I love most of the characters she creates, I enjoy her tackling of toxic love, I enjoy how she delivers atmosphere the best I think of the writers.

I do think FGO isn't the best fit for her though, which is why I'm interested in her new novel. Wish she'd have actually written prototype proper though but I wouldn't e a prototype fan if I didn't accept my Ls

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RacingeR View Post
    I'm not a fan of, say, how mary sueish Manaka feels on what I've seen of Fragments,
    Isn't that the point, though? That Manaka sees herself as a fairy tale princess, but the actual story shows she is anything but?

As someone who has read fragments, I have to say that I am honestly amazed at how much the writing quality can drop with a single character, every time Manaka appeared the narration of the scene became 10 times worse, in fact I didn't even have to appear to provoke that effect, the mere mention of a character about Manaka made a chapter that I was enjoying become something that I had to force my eyes to see how boring everything seemed to me, and it's not even that I didn't I like Manaka as a concept actually I love it but if a Prototype is ever written or Manaka appears in any other story I sincerely hope Sakurai stays away from her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Menwearpink View Post
    Dont think Gil yelling at you to become a uberman will get you a thousand blades unknown to life nor death.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    In the nasuverse the easiest way to find out who is the strongest is to have them fight. Whoever loses was the stronger one.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfredo845 View Post
    As someone who has read fragments, I have to say that I am honestly amazed at how much the writing quality can drop with a single character, every time Manaka appeared the narration of the scene became 10 times worse, in fact I didn't even have to appear to provoke that effect, the mere mention of a character about Manaka made a chapter that I was enjoying become something that I had to force my eyes to see how boring everything seemed to me, and it's not even that I didn't I like Manaka as a concept actually I love it but if a Prototype is ever written or Manaka appears in any other story I sincerely hope Sakurai stays away from her.

If some of it was intentional, ive heard sakurai did the whole fairy tale thing but then at the end it stops mid sentence and changes to what she truly is like.

I have not read it, but would it be wrong to say maybe it should've switched more beforehand? or toned it down but when you look back you can go 'AHA' kinda like 'will you kindly' in bioshock as a example?

Tranquilo, Japones, Tranquilo JetKinen's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Fragments is a fun read imo and I think that's her DEFINING Nasuverse thing.
    Last edited by JetKinen; April 17th, 2022 at 10:07 PM.

Fate Grand/Order ID: 102947414/GreenBob
    JetKinen's tries very poorly to translate a brazilian book