Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best designed servants?

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Love how appreciated Merlin and Voyager are. They deserve it.

And about people who deserve all the love, I forgot to cite Tiamat earlier. Easily among the best designed.

Quote Originally Posted by pinetree View Post

He is the Ill-Made Knight. It's just so fucking good.
    Fair points made, I didn't really analyzed him too much in terms of personality, as what I was originally gunning for was design in terms of skills and NP. Guess I should've made it more clear, oh well.

But you're right on that front, Berserker Lancelot is one of the better developed characters that fits the themes of inevitably, of heroes repeating their legends.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kubera View Post
    Tiamat
    Can't believe I forgot about her as well, perhaps it's because she's not a servant (I do not acknowledge Arcade. Nope). Though one thing I do wish is to see the Chaos Tide being expanded upon. Maybe create other figures besides Lahmus, or different varieties with powers resembling the Sumerian gods. I mean, she summoned millions of Lahmus, all servant level, and all they can do is fly and regenerate? I know the Bel Lahmus exist, but let's get real here. They didn't showcase new powers, and the anime didn't do justice for supposed beings that surpassed the demon gods.
    Last edited by HumanComplex; April 7th, 2022 at 10:44 PM.

JP Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by HumanComplex View Post
    Just as the title said. Which servants in canon do you think are designed the best? By design I mean their servant profile and lore, especially their skills and NP. This is not about their appearance or artwork. Please, I don't want to see more complaints about appearance.

I'll begin. One of my favorite servants is Voyager, and his niche of being an anchor for Human Order, with how his body allows for the perception outside of our solar system. Fits well with Nasu's lore and mechanics.
    My top 3: Tiamat, Voyager, Solomon.

夜属 Nightkin
    Like pretty much everyone here, i really like Voyager.
    Another of my favorite servants is Mandricardo. I like how Typemoon took an obscure antagonist from Orlando Furioso and gave him a big role in a short chapter. Sure, it's nice when big shots like Napoleon or Qin Shi Huan finally get to be in Fate, but one of the reasons i like the series is that it introduces me to historical or mythological figures i migth never have heard of otherwise. As i haven't read the song of Roland, i can't be sure of wether he is acurate to it or not, but from what i heard his skills and NP are pretty well thought.

And then of course there's Médéa, one of the best takes on the character. The only thing i was afraid of is that they would never show Jason's side of the story and just have him be an asshole, but i was pleasantly surprised when Atlantis showed that while deeply flawed, he still was a hero.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors AAM1232's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Overall I think the FSN gang are still the best designs around even if they're not as explicitly overloaded or unique as some of the later Servants. Part of my issue with rating those that came after is that the overall structure and story telling purpose behind the Servants became really poor for most of them, so while I love some of them, it's not like they're necessarily better designed and used by the authors than before.

Outside of FSN, my picks for the best (Servants/Beasts/Gods/etc) are Arjuna, Super Orion, Shakespeare, Jason, Mordred and Mashu. The rest kind of fade into the background, and while some look neat, I didn't really feel that connected to them to elevate them. Goetia, Ivan, Junao and Morgan were also pretty great, but they kind of fall outside what's being asked here so I put them to one side.
    Last edited by AAM1232; April 8th, 2022 at 03:52 AM.

I suppose it depends on what we are refrring to in a servnat?

story role? best "design" in terms of sheet and how it relates to the figure? characterization?

All different things, to me I was referring to the 2nd, hence why I was so harsh against the FSN cast

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Ultimately I feel like judging a Servant in a vacuum is pointless anyways. There's a sort of unfortunate consequence of the franchising of Fate that certain Servants are displaced from their intended roles into ones they weren't designed for and it can come across as jarring (Hassan in F/SN > F/GO is a good example, because his design was very effective in F/SN but seems disjointed from how he is portrayed in Camelot even if that portrayal isn't necessarily even a bad one).

Oberon is a chimera of a design if you transport him outside of his intended story, but he works EXACTLY as he's supposed to in Avalon le Fae and I wouldn't criticize a single thing about his design because of it.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Kirishima's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrikow View Post
    Ultimately I feel like judging a Servant in a vacuum is pointless anyways. There's a sort of unfortunate consequence of the franchising of Fate that certain Servants are displaced from their intended roles into ones they weren't designed for and it can come across as jarring (Hassan in F/SN > F/GO is a good example, because his design was very effective in F/SN but seems disjointed from how he is portrayed in Camelot even if that portrayal isn't necessarily even a bad one).

Oberon is a chimera of a design if you transport him outside of his intended story, but he works EXACTLY as he's supposed to in Avalon le Fae and I wouldn't criticize a single thing about his design because of it.
    This sentiment is exactly why I don't feel much towards a character deviating from their historical portrayal, I just care about them having a good role in the story they are put into. Also why I like TM OCs much more than Fate servants in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirishima View Post
    This sentiment is exactly why I don't feel much towards a character deviating from their historical portrayal, I just care about them having a good role in the story they are put into. Also why I like TM OCs much more than Fate servants in general.
    I feel like there is two fandoms in essence, the TM fandom and the servant/fate fandom

Two different directions, i want servants like vlad, you want OC stuff where I find OC stuff to often be when nasu's writing gets the worse

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Please define what you mean by OC stuff because this take is incomprehensible

Please define what you mean by OC stuff because this take is incomprehensible
    Is it that hard to comprehend

Kiara, altera, or character who go near that like gogh.

I really like Gogh, but more because she is deliberately a forced collision of different elements than for adhering to Van Gogh.
    As a pure adaptation of the historical figure, I like Nightingale.
    Because you are too young. Or too stupid. Or both.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    It is hard to comprehend because all the characters are original characters. If you were talking solely about Servant design (concepts, profile) then it'd make sense to make a distinction between character who borrow heavily from legend and character that don't (though I would still question if you could even split them up in that way at all), but you're including people like Kiara so do you mean just any TM character?
    Even if you're talking about Kiara's design as a Servant, how is her being an original character related to the quality of it?
    You're talking about Nasu's writing (as always lol) but including characters he didn't write in the evaluation?

Blog Entries
    Astolfo. No, I will not elaborate.

It is hard to comprehend because all the characters are original characters. If you were talking solely about Servant design (concepts, profile) then it'd make sense to make a distinction between character who borrow heavily from legend and character that don't (though I would still question if you could even split them up in that way at all), but you're including people like Kiara so do you mean just any TM character?
    Even if you're talking about Kiara's design as a Servant, how is her being an original character related to the quality of it?
    You're talking about Nasu's writing (as always lol) but including characters he didn't write in the evaluation?
    Okay

What kirishima said he doesnt mind them deviating, and he prefers typemoon OCs, To me I meant I find the deviatinos and the OCs to be when the writing gets the worst, I was grouping them under the same umbrella but I do see your point, but as I said to me I see I'm of the opposite view where I dislike both for reasons I said.

Also I do have a had habit of not divind the co-writers but I'm not sure where I put hte line when it comes to collaberative characters like altera for example

I also tend to view servants that deviate too much as OCs, and i do have communication issues so please dont

Saying every Tsukihime, DDD, F/sn master, CCC character and so on = bad is certainly a take.
    I'd argue I like LB6 so much too because despite using pre-existing myths, Barghest, Caster, Morgan, Melusine, Bavanshee, Oberon, etc are pretty much their own things with some inspiration from the source.

Saying every Tsukihime, DDD, F/sn master, CCC character and so on = bad is certainly a take.
    I'd argue I like LB6 so much too because despite using pre-existing myths, Barghest, Caster, Morgan, Melusine, Bavanshee, Oberon, etc are pretty much their own things with some inspiration from the source.
    Ah, i didnt mean it like that. Apologies, i did say archer was my fav OC servant.

Honestly I do feel barghest n co needed to have the OC element because there species of fae instead of particular figures.

Wings of the Sunlit Sky Hermitfold's Avatar
    Gonna add Oberon and Clytie to my choices (can't believe I forgot them). These guys are just so artificial and patchwork, but they make that work as a part of their design and creation so well.

Quote Originally Posted by sentence View Post
    Oh yeah, forgot about him.
    Fate Merlin is my favourite Merlin over all the fiction.
    Same! Haven't seen a better one.

Quote Originally Posted by Sesto View Post
    I'll also throw in praise for Merlin as well, he's great. He's so good Urobuchi even gave us Merlin 2.0 in a certain puppet series (who is also based).
    Quote Originally Posted by Reign View Post
    Merlin is also one of my absolute favorites
    Quote Originally Posted by Kubera View Post
    Love how appreciated Merlin and Voyager are. They deserve it.
    Warms my cold, unfeeling heart to see so much appreciation for Merlin.

Quote Originally Posted by AAM1232 View Post
    Overall I think the FSN gang are still the best designs around even if they're not as explicitly overloaded or unique as some of the later Servants. Part of my issue with rating those that came after is that the overall structure and story telling purpose behind the Servants became really poor for most of them, so while I love some of them, it's not like they're necessarily better designed and used by the authors than before.
    You know, original cast didn't even come to my mind when I was thinking about this. They're just so iconic that they transcend concerns like how they're designed. They're the scale itself, you don't weigh them on the scale for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Petrikow View Post
    This so much. I would say it's actually a strength of FGO that it can create characters like Oberon and Clytie, say whatever else you want about the game or the genre.

Yes, and they feel refreshing because of that and very well realized because they're made for that story and have their whole arcs contained within LB6, and the liberty allowed the writer to fully incorporate them as a proper part of the world and story. That's where a servant shines to me, when they're a fully realized part of a story and clearly made to tell that tale and we fully explore them in their chapter. I don't feel much when we just have a situation of "here's X, we made a sheet and he has these skills that represent this thing he did and we're gonna put him in this event I guess. Moving on."

Like Vlad is interesting on paper, what they did with him. But he never got a great showing in terms of role in his story so he didn't stick much to me.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Byegod View Post
    Ah, i didnt mean it like that. Apologies, i did say archer was my fav OC servant.
    That makes more sense, but what exactly did you mean then? You're saying "OC" Servants bring out bad practices in the writing of Nasu (or TM writers in general?), but what are those? And how are they related to the character deviating from real world legend?

- - - Updated - - -

That's where a servant shines to me, when they're a fully realized part of a story and clearly made to tell that tale and we fully explore them in their chapter. I don't feel much when we just have a situation of "here's X, we made a sheet and he has these skills that represent this thing he did and we're gonna put him in this event I guess. Moving on."
    I completely agree with this.
    I wasn't impressed with the writing Requiem but I'm still more excited for the Servants in it than most stuff FGO releases. Same thing for Strange Fake, it's crazy seeing people mad because they are waiting for the Servants there to actually finish their story before shoving them in the gacha.