Thread: Fate/Zero the Visual Novel

Blog Entries

Fate/Zero the Visual Novel

Hello everyone I've been gone a while but I wanted to share a project that I have been working on for quite some time.

https://milbunk.itch.io/fatezero-the-visual-novel

Introducing the Fate/Zero Visual Novel! With the blessings of the original translators it is a doujin game that aims to translate the light novel version of Fate/Zero to Visual Novel form!

Though some bugs and graphical assets need to be finished the entire novel has been adapted as soon I feel comfortable enough to release it to the public for others to enjoy for free!

If you want to give the original light novel a read in this new experience please feel free to give it a shot!

Known Issues
    As this is my first ever project the first few acts are not up to the same standard of quality as the later acts, I hope to give them another look over in the future, but having worked on this project on and off over the past 6 years I decided it was better to release now rather than delaying potentially years into the future.

The Extra screen resets upon game restart.

Sprites for Risei, Tokiomi, Sola, Uryuu, and Aoi have yet to be completed and are currently placeholders.

The history screen is quite outdated and will get a rework in the future.
    Last edited by Milbunk; May 31st, 2023 at 10:17 AM.

US Friend Code
    Looks good. May check it out later

Blog Entries
    Please do! It took me quite some time to make lol.

JP Friend Code
    nonexistant
    I saw this the day it was posted and then I forgot to leave a comnent.
    I'll give it a wirl, it's a neat idea to jazz up the text. I have never actually read the Zero novel and this could get me in the mood for it.
    burn your dread you coward

Blog Entries
    That is exactly the idea! Let me know if you enjoy it I am happy to see any replies!

please talk to me about your OCs Saron's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I have yet to actually read F/Z, I'll give this a shot I really like the core idea
    My thirst for Antonio grows by the second.

Man...

I Make Servants, Some Of Which Are Tragedies

Blog Entries
    This is a neat idea. Makes me want to try making a vn out of some other non-vn works.
    I think it goes: "I don't trust people like me." — no, that's not it…

Quote Originally Posted by Namelesss
    Quote me on this, 10 years from now TM will not release a global VN work.

Blog Entries
    I would be happy to share what I learned, it was quite the adventure but well worth it in the end!

Pretty cool project! I'll certainly read it like this... once I finish Tsukihime, it's taking longer than I expected.

Fucker of the Kirei Kirei_fucker69's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    No
    US Friend Code
    Phone broke, account lost
    From what I've seen it looks good, and you certainly had your work cut for you making it a VN considering how all the characters all have their sprites drawn by different artists. Any criticism I have is going to be one of personal taste, such as Light Novel Illustrations vs anime screencaps or dama CD ost vs anime ost and not really an objective measure of quality - which seems solid. Out of interest, where did you get those sprites for Kiritsugu, Kirei and a few others that seem to be by the same artist? Did you make them yourself?
    Last edited by Kirei_fucker69; July 4th, 2023 at 10:13 AM.

Blog Entries
    My partner Phearo was kind enough to draw them! They are completely original. He helped me a lot in giving advice for coding alongside a whole bunch of other stuff.

I do think that my coding style changed as I went through the project so I feel like how I wanted to present the novel also changed a lot as well, I think the second half of the story fits a lot closer with what I was going for compared to the first half when I do feel like I relied a little too heavily on screenshots. If I ever do end updating it that is going to be one of the first things I fix.

Fucker of the Kirei Kirei_fucker69's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    No
    US Friend Code
    Phone broke, account lost
    Wow, that's alot more effort than I would have put in, lol. Kiritsugu would just be that one full-body illustration from the novels regardless of context.

In regards to the use of screenshots, I don't think its a problem. Fate/Zero is a novel series with like one full-colour illustration per novel, the anime is the best you'll get for visual media without doing it all yourself. I only referenced it to say that the only complaints people would have would be subjective and not objective.

Blog Entries
    Yeah I felt that there were just enough resources to get me started and it really helped that I had a friend who was also interested enough to help out as well so while I was focused on actually coding he was nice enough to finish the missing sprites. I hope to get the rest done some day in the future though, perhaps I could even change out all the Type-Moon stuff with original works as well so that the project becomes a lot more original as well!

Congrats, this is a very neat project! Kudos to you and your friend for going the extra mile with those original sprites.
    I will definitely check it out when I have more time.