Page 44 of 45 FirstFirst ... 343942434445 LastLast

Thread: [FGO JP Main Chapter] 6.5 - Realms of Mortality Incarnate, Traum - Life and Death of a Fantasy

Story Summary - Chapter 14: Total war - Restoration Realm (Part 1)

Also a really, really long one so collapsed it is.

--- Arrow 1 ---A scout reports to Kriemhild about their situation. Kriemhild doesn't seem to mind the reports of Zhang Jiao's death, which the scout finds surprising, until she calls him out to join them. He confusedly asks if he died. The scout is baffled that Zhang Jiao has managed a spell to create an alter ego, or perhaps using a Noble Phantasm to do so. Either way, Zhang Jiao is still there, and that's what matters. One drawback seems to be that memories don't carry over between the copies, so Kriemhild hands him a letter addressed to him. Taking it in hand, he asks his queen what her intentions are in proceeding, to which she replies that the Restoration realm is poised to assault the Via Regia, but not the Revenge realm. Perhaps Constantine understands that virtue can never trump vice without considerable risk.

Cut to the Restoration realm, where Constantine is conversing with Joan. She has seemingly shared with him a revelation she had, and although she cannot explain the logic behind it, she is certain that she heard it. As such, it'll be up to Constantine to either trust the message he's received, or denounce it as misinformation. The message: "wage war against the Via Regia realm and victory shall be yours". Constantine asks Bradamante for a second opinion on the matter, and she believes they can definitely triumph against Karl der Große, because she can tell that it's either an impostor, or perhaps his powers are locked away for some reason. She says this as a matter of fact based on his absence in the recent skirmish, as her king would never be that cautious. Maybe if he was actually summoned to rule a country, but not in the case of a Holy Grail War like this is akin to.

Constantine is doubtful, considering the two paladins accompany him, but Bradamante corrects him, saying that the paladins strive to embody chivalry and would bear any dishonor if they believe their cause to be just. Even the emperor himself wouldn't mind, as long as he believed the impostor to be chivalrous. With this in mind, Constantine considers to himself the information he had received from Moriarty. It had said that Chaldea is hiding within the Via Regia realm, and that the Revenge realm would be unable to mobilize their troops. And so, he determines to go through with the assault. But it must be soon: the Revenge realm lost Zhang Jiao, and the Via Regia some of their troops; it's now or never.

But Joan has a request: for her to partake in the battle. She would be of no use to simply sit back and pray. Constantine agrees to her demand, but she must stick to logistical support, rather than fighting on the frontlines, which she agrees to.

The world is on the verge of an upheaval.
    On this day, the Restoration Realm awoke from their slumber, adamant on breaking the lengthy stalemate.
    Even if the enemy realms were made aware, halting the march would be a fool's errand.
    And Constantine XI made an additional move.
    A ploy to lure Karl der Große, fake or not, out onto the battlefield.
    The plan is simple, and it is this simplicity that makes it unstoppable.
    ---A few days after the Zhang Jiao assassination mission.

Back in Via Regia, Holmes has called for an emergency meeting. You have received a direct challenge from Constantine; an official declaration of war, and a request to audience with Karl der Große. Because of how the letter got here, the Servants of the realm would also be aware of this challenge, and so it's vital that the king keeps up appearances of his honor in this moment. Even more so because rumors are spreading about Karl being an impostor. Vlad agrees that this is nothing they can ignore, saying that their next confrontation with the Restoration realm will have to be total war.

What you will have to do now is first of all negotiate the battlefield (which had been stated in the challenge), and then place "Karl" on the frontlines but conceal his identity. Most easily this would be done with a huge tent from which Karl could command the troops. However, Vlad posits the question of who to place as "Karl", which Astolfo finds confusing, since Don is right there. But even Don knows that his trembling voice and stature would fool no one in such a situation. In addition, it will be difficult for Vlad himself, or one of the paladins, to take on this role, as they are already known in other areas. Holmes would also be kind of a bad choice because even if he were to be the impostor then you would have to be by his side anyway, and so the only one left is you. You could pretend to be Karl, and should an Assassin come, you have the power to fight them off with summons. You also have experience commanding heroes and conquering impossible battles.

Sancho does have an alternative strategy in mind: that you flee. The paladins think she is joking, but she is most assuredly not. If anything, she says, it would be advisable for Chaldea to escape this situation. Gordolf says that while it's a logical choice in a way, it wouldn't help the current situation. In fact, it would only serve to worsen it. This Singularity cannot be allowed to engrave itself into human history. It's just as much of a threat as the original seven Singularities, the Lostbelts, or even Heian and Tunguska.

And so, they set to work preparing your outfit, and a means for you to change your voice. Astolfo and Don will serve as your personal guard, as well. You also have to negotiate the battlefield, which Holmes says won't be a problem, since they're seemingly using the tactic of suggesting something unreasonable so that the next offer seems way more appealing. Most likely the battlefield will thus be the Ani plains which is situated on the border between the realms.

The world is on the verge of an upheaval.
    The Via Regia Realm and Chaldea are tossed about by the great waves of history.
    A Singularity that was once far too small for the world is now a cradle that would shake history itself.
    A hero praised for nobility, an anti-hero who was called a monster.
    A hero who slaughtered a hundred, an anti-hero who defended a thousand.
    None of that makes a difference. They simply slaughter one another.
    In a sense, this may be the Singularity that equalized the world.
    For its raison d'être is rebellion against Pan-Human History, irrespective of nation or race.
    While averting their eyes from the pointlessness of it all---or perhaps while facing it.
    These men and women, heroes of yore, continue their bloody fight.

--- Arrow 2 ---Vlad has been sent as an envoy to Constantine. Constantine knows all about Vlad's role in assisting the Via Regia realm, and so he posits what would happen if he were to take Vlad captive here and now. All that he had built would come crumbling down. However, Vlad knows that won't happen. If it would, he wouldn't have come in the first place. Doing such a thing would dishonor Constantine and his realm, and his principles must allow the envoy to return. Receding his threat, Constantine recounts how Vlad told him that the battlefield will not be the Ani plains, but Sirmium. Actually, Vlad being able to come here basically meant that negotiations had already concluded, in a sense.

Constantine recalls the information available to him. His strategists had been surprised at the suggestions of Sirmium, because they assumed the Via Regia would have wanted to fight in their own territory, which would have been advantageous for the Restoration realm in bringing down Karl's reputation for hiding away. Sirmium, on the other hand, was located within the Restoration realm. Although it was thought to be decrepit and abandoned, when Constantine sent scouts there, they reported that it had been rebuilt as a mighty fortress. In the end, he was forced to accept the terms, so as to not affect his troops' morale with ideas of an invasion.

Elsewhere, near Fort Azagouc, Kadoc is wandering about alone. He has Mashu on the communications asking why he's there in the first place. He says it should be relatively safe now that it's all in ruins, and Kriemhild's troops are preoccupied, but the reason he's there is because he believes there's still something in there. The feng shui in that fort wasn't just to keep Zhang Jiao safe, it was to protect something else, and Kadoc wants to know what that was. He already got leave from Gordolf to do this, so there won't be an issue with him acting on his own.

Kadoc:

I'll be all right.
    Somehow. I don't know how exactly, but I'm not alone.

He says he'll just take a quick peek then return, since he doesn't want them to go activating the collar and killing him, but Mashu says that won't happen, and that she's only worried about him.

Kadoc:

You just sounded like an actual person there.
    Your emotions are clearer to me. I don't know, maybe you were always this way.
    Or maybe you changed after meeting Fujimaru. He's awfully carefree, after all.

Mashu agrees, considering they've been through so much together. Meanwhile, Kadoc believes he hasn't changed whatsoever.

Kadoc:

Not when I was assigned to the A Team, and not when I turned against Pan-Human History.
    I was just afraid of death and wanted to survive. So I fought against the Master who saved the world.
    Betrayal after betrayal. My life is just a mess.
    Oh, don't listen to me. It's just self-loathing.
    I'm not going to kill myself or accept death or anything. Didn't I promise you?

Back in Via Regia, you have been fitted with a new Mystic Code, the Emperor's Glorious Garment.

Sancho:

The concept was: "Gorgeous, Golden, and Glorious."Or "G and G and G," for short.
    By the way, the use of so many G-words was a complete coincidence. There is no deeper meaning.
    Not at all.

Don also receives a new outfit, fit for a king's guardsman.

Vlad and Sancho really like both of your outfits, whereas Astolfo and Gordolf seem to consider them ridiculous and hilarious. Either way, you've now taken care of your disguise, and you've been able to select the battlefield. For now, you should take some time to look around the city that will be your point of vantage, while the troops prepare.

--- Arrow 3 ---Work on the fort is proceeding smoothly. You run into Seton(?) as you stroll along on your own, and he says he came here since he can smell a decisive battle coming. Although, he seems to think Constantine has the better odds of winning here, and tells you that the worst thing you can do on the battlefield is to go back on your decisions. If you see a pitfall in front of you, the best thing to do is just jump over it (though sometimes the pits are just too wide and you'll fall). Seton(?) says he's still too weak to do anything, but he has a message for Holmes and Vlad.

Seton(?):

I surmise that the Restoration Realm is going all-out. Like, "Pope Joan will be among the ranks"-level all out.
    Her presence will have a huge effect on their morale.
    Tell them to be wary of that.

Seton(?) leaves, and Roland appears, asking if that was a friend of yours. He says you're probably better off staying away from that guy, though. A while later, you head back to the rest of your party. Xu Fu has been crying over the fact that she's done nothing but write and write and write talismans forever. But even with the fort being in quite good condition, you'll need all the help you can get here. The armies number 8000 to 5500, with markedly more Heroic Spirit-grade Servants on the enemy side. Holmes strategy for now is not to sit and wait for the assault, though, but rather learn as much about his enemy as he can. From there, he shall deduce their movements to ease the battle.

You relate the message of Joan being among the troops, which Holmes seems to believe is out of her sense of duty rather than anything else. She isn't a rebel to the Human Order after all, just a regular pan-human history Servant.

Cut to a field, where Joan and Constantine are marching along the troops.

---How sinful...
    Death is tragic and dreadful. Life is noble and beautiful.
    And killing is the greatest sin of all.
    But can I even be a sinner?
    I'm a fictional character. Dreams, delusions, hopes, and despairs given shape.
    If a character hurts or kills a person, is it culpable for the crime?

Joan:

---Of course I am.

There's no way this isn't a sin. Still,
    even then, my life has faded from the texture of reality.
    All my feelings and experiences are untrue.
    ...Trampled feelings. Fruitless experiences.
    I might be taking my frustrations out on the wrong people,
    but I couldn't find any effective way to appease my maddening rage.

Constantine interrupts her thoughts, extending her hand to her as they enter the battlefield.

Holding the hand offered to me, I set out to the battlefield.
    All sins and evils committed in this conflict are mine alone. I'm sure that one day I'll burn in the flames of judgment. With all that in mind,
    I am about to cause a war.

--- Arrow 4 ---Astolfo reports that the enemy army is approaching, and Constantine is in the vanguard. This must be a challenge to a war of words with Karl der Große, and so you have to figure out a way to deal with this. You borrow Astolfo's horn NP (which still functions as a horn) and ask some Casters to amplify your voice through it. Holmes will feed you the lines to say, but it is vital that you don't stop speaking or stutter.

Outside, Constantine declares his presence and requests an audience immediately, assuming Karl has no reason to hide himself. At that point, a horn sounds, and once Karl's voice is heard, Constantine repeats his request for an audience, but Karl refuses.

Karl der Große:

I am the father of one world, and at the same time, I am the father who laments thy presence.
    My sons, my daughters. Why dost thou rebel against me?

Constantine:
    You're afraid of showing yourself, aren't you?

Karl der Große:
    Thou art the frightened one. Thou need'st my visage for thine peace of mind.
    If thou wert to scorn and denounce me as an imposter, thou shouldst be able to fight with serenity.
    But only if I were an imposter.
    Thy invasion is premised on me being a false king. Thou circulated the word amongst thine soldiers.
    ...Couldst thou truly not see how that was the plan?
    The signal that I am the true king shall be thy troop's downfall.
    I am Karl der Große, father of Europe.
    Constantine, art thou willing to abandon thyself to thine instincts?

With those words, Constantine feels forced to back down.

Constantine:

Indeed, if you are the real Karl der Große, this war will be over before it starts.
    Convinced as I am that you are a sham, I can't gamble all I have in the search for proof.
    Then we fight. In my battle and victory, I will discern who you truly are.
    See you on the battlefield!

Now, to prepare for the attack, Constantine reviews a map of the fortress:

Their shortest route into the fortress would be through the north gate, as they would have to circle around to reach the south gate. However, considering the situation, it's more than likely a trap has been set for Constantine and his troops. Instead, they will wait for nightfall and attack east and west simultaneously, with the vanguard divided into 3000 and 1500 respectively.

Holmes has already deduced that this would be the case, and so you prepare for it. He says it's vital here that if you're in a bad spot, you retreat, and if the situation is the opposite, you pursue immediately. Worst case for Constantine is if he loses 3000 troops of his vanguard in the opening assault, as that would all but force a retreat. As such, they'll probably play it relatively safe.

You contact Diarmuid and Xu Fu who have been stationed in the forest (nicknamed the Ranger Servant Unit), and order them to activate the spell when half the enemy troops enter the area. On the west side are Roland and Astolfo, who will have to fight with brute force. With strong undertones of fixation, Vlad orders the two that they do not have permission to die, for any reason. And the fact that the two understood this command was the whole reason they were chosen for this job.

In the forest, Constantine's troops have begun entering the area. They're already aware there'll be an ambush, but are convinced that their numbers will bring them to victory here anyway. However...

Xu Fu:

Deplore the end of your luck. Weep for the beginning of your misfortune.
    This forest is now hell.
    Here is the fabled spell in my tao art of Qimen Dunjia.
    The Stone Sentinel Maze. Not that my version can compare to Zhuge Liang's.
    Kongming's is, you know, a work of art tied to his Noble Phantasm.
    Now, Mr. Knight, if you permit the correction,
    it's not 200 vs 750. It's 50 vs 5.

Her spell activates and splits the troops up. In a race against time before the spell breaks, Diarmuid jumps into battle.

--- Arrow 5 ---The forest guard emerge victorious in their first clash, but there are more to come. On the west side, Roland's unit are encountering their first wave of enemies. While Roland slashes around to the best of his abilities, Astolfo soars through the skies, supporting the troops in between getting completely lost in transient thought. Roland just reminds the troops that Astolfo is the embodiment of being a lost case, and tells them to ignore him while he dishes out orders. Roland wishes they had more Servants with high mobility to help out, like Perseus.

--- Arrow 6 ---But more and more enemies appear at the west gate, and Roland is forced to go further out into the vanguard to assist. He commands Assassin Servants to disrupt the enemy rear via their Presence Concealment; no need to go for the kill, just provide distractions. Roland goes on a rampage when encountering the enemy troops, and Astolfo orders some other Servants to make sure that Roland doesn't go over the edge, considering he's burning through an enormous amount of magical energy. Just splash him with water, or something.

But it's too much, and the Servants call for retreat from the west gate, when suddenly, Vlad is heard saying he has sent reinforcements their way. It's Gudao who's been sent, and he immediately begins summoning more Servants.

--- Arrow 7 ---With Gudao's help, the enemy troops have been driven back a bit. Roland calls for more summons to help out with blocking attacks from a different direction, specifically a sturdy Servant. Gordolf initiates an audio-only transmission.

Gordolf:

Push yourself all you like, but keep in mind that others depend on your survival to stay alive!
    No, scratch that! Don't push yourself if you think it's too dangerous!

Gudao:
    ...What if I only push myself a little?

Gordolf:
    Absolutely not, you dolt! I'll give you double the paperwork to submit!
    After all, you are now---Karl der Große!
    What's with the look of "I wish you wouldn't remind me"?
    All right, now get back to your post!

And so, after some time, the Restoration realm retreats, and the first battle ends in victory for the Via Regia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Ugh cokesakto no no no
    Quote Originally Posted by Neir View Post
    your ability to be wrong about literally everything you post is truly astounding. Even a broken clock is right twice a day, but you haven't been right once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kateikyo View Post
    The gay pics were the most entertaining thing going on in this discussion.

Story Summary - Chapter 15: Total War - Restoration Realm (Part 2)

--- Arrow 1 ---
    Constantine's troops have finalized their retreat as night fell. One of the scouts report that an unrecognized Bounded Field has been established in the forest area, seemingly of Oriental origin. Even so, they believe they can breach it within the day. As for the west gate, the troops report that the paladins in conjunction withe summoning of shadow Servants prove quite the obstacle, and so Constantine says he himself will head for the west gate next time. In addition, next time the middle guard will also mount an assault on the north gate, to hit the fortress head-on. Constantine orders this on the basis that there will be no traps there, and he's certain of it. They had spotted Via Regia scouts in many other abandoned cities other than this one, and as such there would not have been enough time for them to do prepwork on all the possible locations before one was selected for sure. After all, lack of manpower is the Via Regia's biggest weakness.

So this is their plan for now. Constantine heads with the troops for the west gate while the others head for the north and east, getting through the forest at any cost, even burning it down. An unknown woman solemnly agrees to burning it down. The other Servants seem weary about going with her, but Constantine says it'll be fine as long as they give her enough space.

Joan interrupts Constantine, asking him to send her to the north gate alongside the troops. Bradamante assures Joan's safety, but Constantine would like to know what her plan in battle would be in the first place, to which Joan answers "I shall merely pray." Constantine laughs at the simplicity of it all, and turns to the troops to begin preparations. Joan thinks it'll take half a day to prepare, whereas some other Servants say a whole day. Bradamante, on the other hand, thinks they should be ready to go in a few hours. Even if they are tired, that means the enemy must be more so. Before they depart, Constantine relates a secret objective to the troops of the west gate.

Back inside the fort, you're all completely beat. But rest doesn't last long, as Holmes declares the enemy troops will shortly begin moving again. You had completely underestimated Constantine here. Another scout reports that not only are they marching on the north gate as well, but Joan is on the frontline.

Vlad:

Organize the warriors of the Orient and head for the north gate!
    Do not, under any circumstance, allow anyone of her denomination on the front lines!

Holmes:
    Pope Joan. Her existence may have been denied, but she still bears the title of Pope, the head of the Church.
    The power she exerts as a Servant should be truly tremendous.
    There is no telling what would happen to our forces should they face her.

Holmes himself is also sent to the north gate, as even though Arthur Conan Doyle might have been a christian, it shouldn't be a problem for Sherlock Holmes. You'll also have to spare as many elite units as you can for that gate. After all, this should be the full force of the Restoration realm coming down on you. Vlad gives a motivating speech to the troops.

Vlad:

O elite warriors of the Via Regia Realm, hear me.
    It has been ascertained that the Restoration Realm forces you repelled at midnight have made their preparations and are on the offensive once more.
    It is a vicious way of working your troops to the bone---
    But let me ask this. Have you fought on battlefields so peaceful that this much is sufficient to drive you to despair?
    Enemies, enemies, enemies.
    Is it not perfectly natural to be surrounded by enemies on all sides?
    For it is by overturning this, that you are here.
    To be honored as a hero and to have perished as one.
    In other words, to put it plainly, fight and triumph.
    For that is my wish, the wish of the Via Regia Realm, and of Karl der Große!
    ...Morale remains high for the time being.
    Our fates will depend on whether or not we can overcome this string of battles.
    Not even the forces of the Restoration Realm are inexhaustible. If we can repel this, they will choose to withdraw.

As for division of troops, Holmes will take the north gate; Don, Astolfo, Roland, and Diarmuid will take the west; and Gudao will get the East alongside Xu Fu.

As you arrive in the forest, you learn from an Assassin that Xu Fu's maze was dismantled, and she left immediately after saying she would prove that an impossibility. You head into the forest, and meet up with her there. She's crying over her ruined spell, when suddenly flames engulf the area. And then, a woman's voice speaks out.

Kiyohime:

Hello there, pleased to make your acquaintance. And---
    I shall be disposing of you now.
    In the end, I have no lingering attachment to a Pan-Human History without my dear Anchin in it.
    I shall burn and burn and burn---until all has been equally reduced to ash.
    I shall incinerate all of creation...!

You fight her, but without much luck. Xu Fu is clinging to you like a dolt, and Kiyohime is more than anything getting annoyed at Xu Fu's constant rolling around.

Xu Fu:

It's called putting out a fire, and it's very important to prevent my untimely death!

You want to retreat to the gate, when Kiyohime tells you (referring to you as a Caster) that if you surrender now she'll treat you as a guest of war. You quickly decline the invitation with a "another time", which makes Kiyohime think there at least is a chance.

Kiyohime:

Oh... I would've treated you with the utmost courtesy...

Xu Fu:
    Does courtesy here mean imprisoning him or pinning him up for display?

Kiyohime:
    Yes.

Xu Fu:
    She actually said it!

You leave her in the forest as you retreat to the gate.

--- Arrow 2 ---
    At the north gate, the Via Regian troops are struggling to handle a single woman. The archers fire arrows and bullets alike at the holy woman beneath the ramparts, but all projectiles avoid her. Even as a fraud, she remains a bearer of miracles. The troops scramble to fortify the defenses.

Joan:

...Open the gate.

And just as directly, the gate opens on its own. It is the Lord's miracle. The troops call for reinforcements, but there is nobody left to send.

Vlad, from the center area, order Astolfo and Roland to retreat along with their men from the west gate. Constantine is on the frontlines and preventing any of them from getting past his Threefold Walls Noble Phantasm. Since you lack someone like Mehmed II on your side, you'll simply have to improvise. Vlad orders Diarmuid and his men to whittle down Constantine's defenses while the rest retreat. Holmes shows up, saying the north gate has been opened, but that he dropped a load of debris in front of it to prevent access for a while. Don Quixote arrives shortly after, declaring the west gate is being overrun. As such, Vlad is forced to announce a retreat. There are no options left to you. He apologizes to Don for failing him, but Don says that the fate of the realm now rests on Vlad's shoulders, and that he will serve as the rearguard from hereon out. However, Sancho will not allow that.

Sancho:

---I cannot let you do that, your grace.
    Your grace, I am your maid, squire, and princess. I am your guardian.
    I will save you, sir. Come hell or high water.

Before Vlad can begin arguing with her, you report on the situation at the east gate. Kiyohime had followed you in, and was one step from burning you alive. She told an Assassin to send word that the east gate had fallen, to which the Assassin replied that Constantine ordered a pincer attack to commence, since the west gate had also fallen. But that's your opening. You tell her that the west gate has, in fact, not fallen. Lord Vlad should still be alive, and there would be more of a commotion had that gate fallen. The Assassin gets flustered and asks if that even matters, but Kioyhime latches on to the lie, asking if it's the Assassin or Constantine himself who lied. Since the Restoration realm lied to her, she will simply take her leave here (yes it really is this sudden). She turns to you and asks if you've ever told a lie, to which you say yes, and thus she has no place to go to. She'll simply leave, having destroyed the east gate. However, defending the rubble would prove too troublesome, so the Servants are ordered to blow up what remains to buy you some time.

That's your recount of the events. Vlad once again orders the retreat. Holmes, on the other hand, begins whispering to Vlad.

Holmes:

(Lord Vlad, I will subdue Miss Sancho. So make your escape as quickly as---)

But Sancho is quick, and immediately captures the weakened Vlad. In the interest of her own lord, she will do anything. She'll surrender to the Restoration realm, using Vlad as a peace offering to ensure their survival. This wouldn't have been an option with Kriemhild, but with Constantine, it might work. However, even Don is apprehensive to this. Holmes says that while he figured this out quite some time ago, it's obvious she hadn't revealed any of it to Don himself.

Don Quixote:

...Stop it, Sancho! This is not what I want!

Sancho:
    Would you rather die, then?

Don Quixote:
    Well, that's...

Sancho:
    You don't want to die. You don't want to be hurt. That's what makes humans human.
    Have you forgotten that we are not heroes, your worship?

Vlad submits to his position, and orders Holmes to rendezvous with his Master to fulfill the defense of the fort. As long as Sancho won't touch Chaldea's Master, Vlad will gladly submit himself. But Don Quixote begs her to stop, which she ignores.

Vlad:

Don Quixote. O knight-errant who longed for the legends and became one himself.
    You will gain no trust if betrayal causes hesitation in you.
    You would be better off growing a thicker skin.
    Otherwise, you stand to gain no trust from anyone.

Sancho:
    That is fine.
    We don't expect anyone to trust in us.
    Sancho...what drives you to such lengths?
    You would not understand, Lord Vlad.
    Battles, heroes, gods, and legends all terrify us.
    We wish to steer clear of them if possible. We don't want to be in their presence for even a second.
    For we are banal and unremarkable. We have no right to stand beside everyone else.
    No matter how foolish we may be, or how much we may regret, we will live on.
    We simply have to survive...!
    Ugh cokesakto no no no
    your ability to be wrong about literally everything you post is truly astounding. Even a broken clock is right twice a day, but you haven't been right once.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Just had to quickly post in here because I read a part of the Famitsu interview where Nasu revealed the original plan for Traum was to be based on the French Revolution and that perfectly explains the 1700s dating of the Singularity...

So much for that mystery.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for your updates.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

Story Summary - Chapter 16: The King Arrived for His Gallant Knights

--- Arrow 1 ----
    A soliloquy.

Sancho:
    ---We want to live.
    We want to draw breath, for our hearts to beat, to breathe in oxygen and exhale carbon dioxide.
    To long for that, to wish for it, is not evil.
    Then, is it evil to betray something to achieve that? Is it evil to flee?
    I'm sorry...! I can't do it, I just can't do it!
    We cannot win. We cannot fight back. We are of no use.
    We ran.
    We ran all the way to this Singularity from the Atlantean Lostbelt.
    No, that's not right. I made him flee.
    He was so scared that he no longer knew what was right, what to do---
    Yes, he merely asked. But it's no wonder he did.
    There were gods there. There were heroes with the strength of demons there.
    A few Servants decided there was no victory to be had there, gave up, and vanished.
    While proclaiming they did not wish to waste their time or their magical energy.
    There were also those who stood their ground.
    And there were those, like us, who ran away.
    Using our second Noble Phantasm, we escaped Atlantis with ease.
    Our miscalculation was that we wandered into this Singularity right after we made our escape.
    We are a rare breed of Servant, one who came here with knowledge of the Lostbelts.
    ...I do not regret having fled. We would not have contributed anything to the war effort.
    I kept making excuses that it would not have made a difference even if we stood our ground here.
    ---But Chaldea did it. They pulled it off.
    They were all splendid, noble, and proud heroes.
    Which is why we were not there...
    I feel nothing in particular about that.
    Because our presence or absence would not have affected the outcome any.
    But it was a most shocking event for his grace.

Don Quixote:

I was---wrong.

Sancho:
    That is not true.
    Don't say that. Please don't say such a thing.

Don Quixote:
    I fled.
    I could stand against windmill giants, but not against Atlantis.
    Why am I a craven old man without a single trace of that savage valor left?

...Servants are summoned in their prime.
    But his worship was summoned as an old knight.
    And even more importantly,
    his mind is that of the devout believer he was right before his death.
    At the very end, he eschewed chivalry and withdrew from absurd stories in favor of leading a peaceful life.
    How it is interpreted may vary from person to person. But even so, his worship tried to do good until the end.
    However, that goodness was the goodness of the mediocre. What was needed now was valor.
    I want you to live. I want you to live your life as a person.
    ...This may differ from the expectations of one summoned as a Servant.
    But I believe that is what I am here for.
    So I shall betray. Even if it goes against his wishes.
    ---But there was just one thing I failed to take into account.
    I had believed his grace to be good but cowardly, having lost his valor in Atlantis.
    But what mattered was neither cravenness nor valor. It was virtue.
    His grace, who had been accompanying Lord Vlad, wordlessly moved to do something no one had expected.

Cut back to the battle at the fort, where Roland leaves his and Astolfo's troops to Diarmuid to keep the enemy at bay, while they take care of something else. Astolfo wonders if this is all their just desserts for their deception, but Roland says that as long as they can buy some time here, then Karl's party will be able to make their escape somehow.

Elsewhere, Sancho requests an audience with Constantine. Fifteen hundred soldiers surround them in that camp, evoking a crushing terror. But within one of those people's little body dwelled something far more important. Upon nearing Constantine, Sancho states her purpose, and offers Vlad as a token of surrender. Constantine was willing to negotiate, even though he could easily capture all of them there and then, but he discarded that thought as soon as he heard the name Don Quixote. There would be no point wasting effort on such a weak man. But then, the old man cried out.

Don Quixote:

I am the knight-errant, Don Quixote de la Mancha!
    I named myself Karl der Große in the Via Regia Realm and have inherited his will!
    ...I-I am a Servant of Pan-Human History! I have been summoned to vanquish you!
    Mighty emperor, Constantine XI!
    I hereby challenge you to a duel!

Those words made Sancho freeze. Not only had her negotiations failed, but it was tantamount to a declaration of war. But Don Quixote vowed not to let a single hair on his princess, his squire, or his friends be harmed. And so, Constantine accepts the challenge to single combat. Sancho moves to stop her lord, but...

Don Quixote:

Don't say it, Sancho! I know, I know damn well!
    That this act renders your devotion and your wishes meaningless!
    But still, I must not retreat!
    Here...I come!

--- Arrow 2 ----
    Elsewhere, Holmes has found you and Xu Fu, and reports the situation. However, it's not just Sancho that's the issue, he says. He has also erred. Because of this, Holmes orders Xu Fu to retreat to the Via Regia realm, but she refuses, so Holmes decides to tell her of your own situation as you retreat. But you quickly run into enemy forces, so Holmes just takes the opportunity to explain while you fight them.

He tells her how you are all from pan-human history, and what you're doing here. However, Xu Fu explains that while she might harbor some hate towards pan-human history by virtue of being here, it's just something imposed on them by their Master, and she seems to be under less effect. She kept quite about it to others though, for obvious reasons. She also thinks she's definitely an exception to the rule. Right then, Gordolf sends you a transmission with bad news, more bad news, and even more bad news. He explains to you that don Quixote revealed his impersonation of Karl der Große, revealed himself to be a pan-human history Servant, and even challenged Constantine to single combat.

--- Arrow 3 ----
    The duel begins.

Don Quixote is markedly beaten, but he cannot retreat from here. Constantine seems genuinely bewildered why Quixote would have even suggested this, considering how weak he is. This bewilderment is only further fueled when Don explains that it was just on a whim.

Constantine:

Why would you undo all that you had built?
    You could have obediently turned over Vlad III and gone into hiding.
    Your selfish actions are utterly meaningless.
    As long as you side with Pan-Human History, I will kill you and your followers.

Don Quixote:
    I do feel sorry...for Sancho...
    ---But I can't give in. It's wrong. I simply cannot give up.

Sancho begs Constantine to stop, and if anything, take her life instead. At this, Don yells and berates her. He never wants to hear her say something like that ever again. And he knows very well that he's no match for the emperor, as evidenced by the narration from his point of view we're treated to.

I must be delusional.
    Perhaps I am nothing more than an old man who stole the idea of Don Quixote...
    Or perhaps I am nothing more than a phantom, a collection of ridiculous fantasies.
    No, no. No, no, no---
    If that were the case, then where did that pain come from? Where did that sense of dread come from?
    I ran away.
    The greatest heroes of legend had gathered together.
    Some of them were different from what I imagined.
    Among such legends, I felt out of place.
    I met true knights. I had dreamt of such a moment.
    It truly was the story of my dreams. A dazzling tale of brilliant adventure!
    I felt alive! I was a living knight!
    ---But...
    Even they were no match against the gods of Atlantis.
    To see the world's greatest heroes disappear before my eyes...it was heartbreaking.
    I couldn't do anything. I was powerless.
    Her words were enough to move me to tears.
    Without thinking, I abandoned chivalry.
    And I found myself in this Singularity.

He ran away from his dream, and to run away now would be running away from reality itself. It would be no less than losing, and no matter the fool Don Quixote was, he remained victorious til the end. His ideals revolve around being a good person, and helping others. If he can still stand and fight here, that's what he must do, no matter the opponent. But Constantine will not show mercy, and delivers the final blow.

Everyone was convinced it would end the old man's life, and seal Constantine's victory. But then, in a flash, night turned to day. A brilliant light dazzled all onlooking Servants.

???:
    ---Man, was that cool.
    You don't run away from reality. You confront it.
    That's the coolest thing you could do. Not just as a knight, but as a person.
    I guess you've earned the name of Karl der Große.
    I'll allow it! And if I tell you yes, well, no one out there can say otherwise!
    My name is Charlemagne!
    Also known as Karl der Große, the father of Europe!

Inspired by the courage and valor displayed by Don Quixote, Charlemagne vows that this battle shall be his to win. He thereby orders Don to take his princess and leave this place. But Don refuses. Having come this far, he must know if Charlemagne is the real deal. Charlemagne simply laughs at this, saying it's a matter of course that a good knight should have a princess and squire by his side, after all. And so, he brandishes his Noble Phantasm.

Charlemagne:
    O brave knight, Don Quixote. I, Charlemagne, shall continue your fight

Constantine:
    Many invasions have we faced, yet our faith remains unmatched. Never shall we yield. Though we may perish, our homeland remains eternal!

Charlemagne:
    The holy light that shall never fade, the glowing colors of infinite changing form! Exemplify these heroics of mine, O mighty knights! Joyeuse Ordre!

Even Constantine recognizes Joyeuse, and thus understands this is the real Karl der Große and Charlemagne. Joan orders Constantine to fall back. There's no point in them lingering here, as the fort has already fallen, but Constantine wants to deal with the pan-human history Servants. Just then, you arrive at the location with Holmes. Joan urges her emperor, who finally agrees to retreat. With a glance at Chaldea, he takes his troops and departs from the battlefield. Bradamante, lingering behind, receives words of encouragement by Charlemagne to stick to the path she's chosen.

With the Restoration realm departed for now, you turn to Charlemagne and ask what the hell is up. He explains that he's here as Karl der Große's proxy. He might technically be the same person, but they're not exactly the same aspects of the person (read Extella Link). This aspect of him is the adventurous Charlemagne that left behind legends in myth. But regardless, with the assistance of his other aspect, he managed to manifest in the Singularity based on a chain summoning from the paladins, but having no master and forcing an irregular summon caused his Saint Graph to become all messed up. As such, he can only really go all out two more times if he's lucky, and even without that, he'll probably disappear in about 48 hours.

The paladins ask Charlemagne why he's even here, and he explains it's to help out Chaldea. The only reason he showed his true power just now was because he was so moved by how cool Don Quixote was. At this, Sancho apologizes sincerely for the trouble she caused, but Vlad is surprisingly lenient and tells her to act as if it never happened. The bigger issue right now is that there aren't many more than about 500 Servants in the Via Regia realm, but regardless, everyone's friends again and Charlemagne joins the group. Sancho also promises that no matter the danger, next time, she won't betray you for Don Quixote's sake.

Charlemagne goes to rally the remaining Servants, explaining that whether they like it or not, without pan-human history they'll all be gone anyway. Holmes asks him if he knows the reason behind rebelling.

Charlemagne:

Hmm? There's only one cause for a rebellion like this.
    Getting so angry that you can't stand it anymore.
    Unbearable fury you don't need to foster.
    Yeah, on those terms, the Restoration Realm channeled their rage in an unbelievably constructive way.
    The Servant faction that is the most in tune with their Master's will is, without a doubt---
    the Revenge Realm.
    Ugh cokesakto no no no

Story Summary - Chapter 17: The Emperor Laughs

--- Arrow 1 ---Kriemhild and Zhang Jiao are conversing at the top of the mysterious tower in their realm. Kriemhild is questioning the old man about whether he knows anything about their Master. Zhang Jiao, obviously knowledgable about the topic, wonders what would happen if he said he did. Kriemhild says she could just torture him, which he's certain will make him talk (a lot), so he becomes more willing to answer some questions. Kriemhild thinks it's weird that he isn't exactly super loyal to their Master, scheming against them and all, but she does wonder who it might be.

Zhang Jiao:

Well, let me put it as succinctly as possible.
    ...A representative of humanity, I suppose.
    That is all I can say.
    Perhaps you will understand someday, or perhaps you never will.
    In any event, we rebel against Pan-Human History.
    So long as you keep that in mind, there won't be any problem.

Kriemhild quickly turns the topic to the matter at hand. The Restoration realm partly laid waste to the Via Regia realm, and now both Constantine and Joan are weary in their retreat. And so, a surprise attack will take place. There exists a chance that either of them will protect the other in a sacrifice, but it is certain one of them will die here. Kriemhild thinks there's something both lovely and unsightly (because of the love aspect of it) to them dying for each other, too. Without further deliberation, they activate the "extreme bombardment-type puppet bowman", while Zhang Jiao sets up a decoy for the Restoration realm army in the form of attacking yellow turban puppets, and creating a fake wave of magical energy to conceal any activation signals. The handlers of the bowman recommend the two of them clear the area, but Kriemhild refuses, wanting front seats to this spectacle. Naturally, the old man thus has no reason to leave either, and so they watch the event unfold.

---Reason for summoning: Unknown
    ---Reason for materialization: Unknown
    ---Cessation of all functions: Rejected
    ---Activation of all functions: Reject/Approve

It would be best surmised as a weapon.
    It once spoke like a human and attempted to live in the world of man.
    But its form and power set it too far apart.
    In which case, who could blame anyone for treating it like a machine---
    It sighed.
    For what reason is it here, and for what reason must it unleash its Noble Phantasm?
    Who is it aiming its arrow at?
    It does not know. Nor does it care to.
    Therefore, without a shred of sentiment, it simply unleashed its Noble Phantasm.
    Servant, Class Archer. True Name---Minamoto-no-Tametomo.

Minamoto-no-Tametomo:
    With this mighty bow of mine, indomitable to the utmost, I shall annihilate all that stands before me.
    The Moonlight Cannon, Gouchin Yumiharizuki.
    ---Fire!

Once, there was a legend.
    That arrow was said to have torn a ship asunder, causing it to sink in an instant.
    Yet, the ship was not the target. Rather, it was the men on board.
    Sinking the ship caused the greatest number of casualties with maximum efficiency. His arrow always pierced the correct target.
    And the target designated by Kriemhild was,
    Pope Joan, who was all too vulnerable to that attack.

--- Arrow 2 ---Cut to Constantine and Joan retreating alongside their army. They're both exhausted, and Constantine is still baffled at the appearance of Charlemagne, a servant from pan-human history. If nothing else, he'd like to settle scores with that Servant at some point. Joan tries to call his name, but Constantine just keeps on mulling over the details of what they went through, to the point where she starts yelling his name to get his attention, and had it gone five seconds longer, she would have stepped on his foot. Having finally gotten his attention, she actually steps on his foot anyway, just because he was being a jerk. With that out of the way, she explains to him that she had a dreadful premonition just now.

In an instant, Constantine calls for Bradamante, who gets the rest of the troops on alert. The Casters detect a magical energy presence nearby, identifying it as the yellow turban soldiers. They're surrounded, and suddenly the sky turns red, as if to indicate this is now the Revenge realm's territory. The Casters now detect a much, much larger presence, either a phantasmal beast or an anti-army Noble Phantasm. But Joan feels it inside of her. This is not any trump card, it is something else. Something totally, abnormally, twisted.

Joan:

...A Noble Phantasm...! Constantine, block it!

Without hesitation, placing his full trust in Joan, Constantine immediately activates his Noble Phantasm, having only heard the words "Noble Phantasm" and "block".

Constantine:

Theodosios Constantinos: By These Threefold Walls, I Swear!

His Noble Phantasm is one that invokes the pseudo-advent of the threefold walls of Constantinople, which protected the Byzantine Empire until the day it fell. They are holy walls of the highest rank, boasting an absolute defense against long-range attacks, in such a way that the area around Constantine, reaching all the way to the cosmos, becomes impervious to attacks. But Joan quickly realized...

Joan:

---Oh, so it's me.

Legend has it that the threefold walls fell on account of a single gate, heedlessly left unlocked.
    Its veracity is irrelevant. All that matters is that this legend was engraved.
    Thus---a hole is always present in these walls. Even though it may be one as small as the eye of a needle.
    It is through this hole that Joan now finds herself targeted.
    She understood instinctively that this arrow will unfailingly take a life.
    She folds her arms in her mind's eye, and thinks.
    To sacrifice someone else is...unthinkable. To sacrifice oneself is...bothersome.
    Between the unthinkable and the bothersome, the latter would be of lesser consequence.
    Her death would indeed cause problems.
    It is even possible that the Restoration Realm stands to lose its reason for existence.
    Yet Constantine's Noble Phantasm is the embodiment of the Byzantine, of the Eastern Roman Empire's, legend.
    That is to say, it recreates real events. In which case,
    its protection would be limited to those who once existed in reality.
    Wouldn't fictitious and imaginary beings of fantasy like Joan fall outside the scope of its protection?
    Such a possibility does exist.
    She never wished for anyone to die for her sake.
    ---This is fate.
    Such a thing was bound to happen someday for everyone who calls themselves a hero or a saint.
    A sudden death, a pointless end. This is how humans are, it seems.
    Presumptuous as it may be for a fictitious being to speak about humans.
    It is a fact that meeting a human-like end gave her a measure of comfort.
    And yet...

The winds of fate change. What had not occurred to Joan was the fact that Constantine would take note of the enemy attack and try to shield Joan. He would have reached the exact same conclusion she did: that the threefold walls could not protect a fantasy such as her. There was no chance that he had not considered this before. Even more so because that man, that emperor who merely wished for peace in life, had cherished that fantasy in the shape of a girl called Joan.

He yells at her to get down, as if giving the enemy the key to the gates, or outright leaving it unlocked. The existence of that legend rendered those walls meaningless in this moment, and so Constantine shielded Joan. Of course, he had come to the right conclusion. A fantasy such as her had no place within those walls, so naturally, it was she who would be targeted. That was Kriemhild's best chance at a confirmed kill.

...I recall the day of my summoning.
    The rebellion against Pan-Human History carved into my soul.
    The moment I chose to keep moving forward with that anger, even as my heart ached---
    I met a woman who I should have killed.

We see a flashback to this time, when Constantine first met Joan. They recognize each other as enemies as a matter of fact, but when Constantine refers to her has "Your Holiness", she becomes flustered, saying a fantasy like her has no right to be called by that moniker.

Constantine:

...Wait. You can tell?
    You know that...you are someone who does not exist in history.

Joan:
    Huh? Well, I mean, yeah?
    I am a hopeless fantasy who fleetingly emerged from the interstices of history and was denied in ten seconds flat.
    Or are you saying I belong in the history's own trashcan because I was thoroughly rejected without ever becoming a legend?

Constantine rebukes her sarcasm, but Joan simply laments her existence, saying it would be better off to die here and now. Even if she resisted him, there would be little point, since she was rejected by the very pan-human history he rebels against. But instead of attacking, he simply asks her if she holds a grudge over it.

Joan:

I mean, of course I do!
    I mean, don't create something if you're just gonna deny it. Don't add details for what you're just going to discard. Basic manners!
    The whole affair with the Pope being exposed as a woman, whoever wrote that was into some seriously unholy stuff!
    Putting everything into perspective makes me want to, I don't know, shake history by the collar!
    Then, umm... smash its head against a landline phone, and burn it to cinders with a flamethrower. For starters.
    ---Well, I'm alive now, and I can't let my life go to waste.
    I offer my body and my life not to those who would deny me,
    but to something else entirely. Does that satisfy you, O Emperor?
    Now then, let us fight.

But he won't fight her. He knows he's incompatible with Kriemhild, who was summoned before him, and would rather assemble Servants under his own banner. And for his own goal.

Constantine:

Yes. I will restore you. I swear it.
    A noble cause, one worth rebelling against Pan-Human History to accomplish. Even if I was simply attacking others for no reason until now---
    As long as there's a driving force, there's a whydunit, no?
    I cannot forgive the fact that you were erased. I cannot forgive those who threw you in the trash.
    So I will affirm you.
    I will incorporate you into Pan-Human History as someone who truly existed.

Joan is completely stunned. She can't believe he'd do this, but he simply asks her whether she'd rather disappear, to which the answer is obviously 'no'. But she reminds him of her standing as a Servant of pan-human history (technically), saying she'll definitely betray him at some point down the line.

Constantine:

When that happens, that's where I'll give up. For I rebel so that you may live.

Finally, she asks him why he would do this, and he simply replies that in and of itself it's a rather stylish thing. She bemoans this, as it's rather unbecoming of a monarch to show off in front of girls, to which he totally agrees. It's unbecoming, and so many other bad things. However...

Constantine:

But if it's for you, even becoming a foolish monarch doesn't sound so bad.
    I am, after all, a rebel.
    So, what say you? Will you accept?
    If you refuse, I will simply persist until you accept.

---Thus, I gained a reason to win, no matter what.
    She was cheerful, clever, quick-witted, and frank.
    She swore vulgarly in the face of her fate and yet she had accepted it in contentful resignation.
    Then let that fate be changed.
    This is a restoration.
    Of your rights as a human being. In other words, a retrieval of your means to live.
    The repulsive ending of an eternally ephemeral, yet beautiful fantasy shall be overturned.
    I want you to walk this earth. I want you to breathe in deeply.
    I want you to shout and laugh out loud.
    Yes...deep down, that is what my wish was.
    If it were to come under attack, it would surely spell my defeat.

--- Arrow 3 ---
    Back in the Restoration realm capital, Joan and the others have dragged back a heavily injured Constantine to safety. While she berates him for shielding her, Constantine merely checks himself to see what his injuries are like. Casters are treating him still, but his Spiritual Core has been destroyed, so it's all in vain. Instead, he announces that he has a declaration to make, and calls for another Caster to help him spread his voice across the realm. He can't just lie there and die. He accepts all the pain and regrets; all that came from this quintessentially human life he led. And then, he gives his message to the realm.

Constantine:

To all those in the Restoration Realm, I am Constantine. This may not be what you want to hear, but I have been fatally shot.
    Owing to the efforts of the Casters, I am barely able to speak.
    The curtains have fallen all too soon. I apologize for that.
    It is safe to say, from the presence of the Yellow Turban puppet soldiers, that Zhang Jiao lives.
    A mistake on the Via Regia Realm's part,
    or perhaps... he's the type of Servant who has taken measures to ensure death is but a mere inconvenience.
    Either way, I had planned to take advantage of that, but the tables were turned on me.
    ...I was struck by an Archer's arrow.
    It is unheard of for an arrow to cover such a large distance yet retain such immense power.
    Either some myth steeped in Mystery, or a fearsome legend carved into history.
    Or perhaps other factors are at play. Either way, I want you to exercise caution.

He gives the citizens of his realm a couple options for what comes next. One is to capitulate to the Revenge realm, although he knows that would go against what most of them believe. The other is to head for the Via Regia realm, but he has other reasons to not recommend that, namely that they are allies of pan-human history. Saying this, he looks to Joan, who yells at him, saying to cut out the lies and just get it out there. And so he does.

Constantine:

Joan is a Servant from Pan-Human History.
    ...That's right, I could not allow her to remain a fantasy.
    The rebellion against Pan-Human History is entirely dedicated to her restoration.
    It was all a fabrication birthed from my selfishness and egotism.
    If these lies of mine enrage you, and you head for the Revenge Realm, so be it.
    But you cannot stay here. And...it's not because I'm dying, or anything like that.
    I created this realm. It is a realm that I created, cherished and led.
    My final request will be a selfish one. I want this Realm to perish with me.

Once again he turns to Joan, and asks her to leave for Via Regia. She naturally refuses, but having anticipated this, Constantine calls for Bradamante. It's in the very nature of his summoning here to deny pan-human history, and yet it is to exactly that which he must turn for help in this situation. However, he knows that Bradamante has long since accepted such an outcome; at the very least since Charlemagne showed up. And so, Bradamante apologizes to Joan, lifts the popess onto her shoulder, and bids farewell to Constantine. Joan refuses to accept this, screaming and kicking all the way.

Constantine:

Joan.
    ---It's been fun. Goodbye.

Joan:
    You idiot! I had way, way more fun!

Constantine:
    Is that so? Well, I'm honored!

With Bradamante having carried Joan away, Constantine now turns to the rest of his men, saying they too should choose their own way. However, to his surprise, they have all become rather too fond of the Restoration realm, even having almost realized Joan was of pan-human history, and so they will not leave their emperor's side.

Constantine:

I see. Looks like you've been deceived by an unscrupulous man.
    This is the second time that I've been besieged in a falling castle.
    And on the verge of death too...
    If that does not deter you, then follow me down into the depths of hell, you fools!

And so begins the fall of the Restoration realm. Kriemhild spares no moment in sending her troops into enemy territory, tearing down Bounded Fields easily with a multitude of Noble Phantasms. She will not even give them a chance for surrender. This is no longer a regular war. Fighting to the death won't rally their troops to an unmatched level, as they are already at their limit. The only option left is to overrun and massacre them all.

Kriemhild:

Their unsightly dreams will rot away in vain. For that is the path they have chosen to walk.

Constantine and his men fight valiantly against the invading troops, cutting down one after another in a never-ending stream of assailants. A nearby Saber apologizes to Constantine for not being able to fight on any longer, and bids the troops farewell as he falls to the ground, exhausted. In the midst of battle, Constantine can only ponder whether he's somehow cursed to have met this same end as he did in life. But in this life, he found something valuable still. To make it all worthwhile once more.

Joan:

Well, it's been nice knowing you, Your Emperorship.
    Yeah. I thought this summoning was just the worst, but I'll try being a little more optimistic.
    Without ever giving up, just like you wouldn't!

Constantine:
    ...Well, if it lead to that meeting, my curse wasn't so bad.
    Should this Singularity disappear, you will surely disappear with it.
    These memories, these feelings, all of them would be swept away.
    Which is to say, no other "me" would harbor any feelings for that girl in this Singularity.
    ...I like the sound of that. That's how a second life should go.

He can hardly breathe. But his sword, his armor, even his flag, remain intact still; all symbols of his standing as emperor. And so he keeps on fighting. Nothing in life is simpler than this. He simply cuts down the enemy before him, pushing on and on. His troops fall beside him, his armor and sword shatter, and his banner is torn apart. And yet he pushes on, until he sees it.

A barren field lies before his eyes. That place which he never reached in life, and that he'll surely never reach again.

Constantine laughed.
    Constantine disappeared.
    2,238 Servants remained of the Restoration Realm's forces.
    They fought unfalteringly against the Revenge Realm to the last man, harboring no regrets. And they were all annihilated.
    On the other hand, there were 542 Servants who wished to defect from the Restoration Realm to the Via Regia Realm.
    These were the Servants who adored Joan, and understood her feelings.
    For there resides a human from Pan-Human History.
    They must ask this of him: "What are your thoughts on this phantasmal girl?"
    Such was the duty, the mission, of these survivors.

--- Arrow 4 ---Back with Kadoc, still heading for the fort. He complains about having to keep his magecraft usage to a minimum, and how he's getting a headache from it. Mashu thinks maybe he should've had a Mystic Code to support him, just like with Gudao, but he passes on the suggestion. Suddenly, Mashu's transmission cuts out briefly. Kadoc first thinks it's because they entered Revenge realm territory, but a figure appears before him, stating they'll make the proper adjustments.

Then, young Moriarty stands before Kadoc, and with a snap of his fingers, Mashu's transmission is fixed. Of course, all this on the condition that she keeps his presence here a secret from Chaldea, and especially from Sherlock. But when Mashu hesitates to agree, Moriarty simply asks what she'd prefer: forcibly releasing Kadoc's collar, or its outright activation? As for Moriarty, he doesn't care, but Kadoc starts.

Kadoc:

Mash, what are you hesitating for? You should have the authority to do this.
    Activate the collar. Do it now.

But she absolutely refuses.

Kadoc:

Hey, listen here.
    This guy's an Apostle of the Alien World.
    No matter what he's got in mind, neither of us are in for a good time.
    What he hates the most is a lack of information. That is, not being able to extract any out of me.
    So kill me now. It's for the best.

But she refuses again, and Moriarty only laughs at their exchange. He promises Kadoc that he has no intention of hurting him, nor to extract any information out of him. In fact...

Moriarty:

I was already aware of matters concerning you since the moment I became an Apostle of the Alien World.
    On the contrary, I am in the position where I need fear you stealing information from me.

Kadoc:
    (...He's right, that's for sure. Even if there's more to Chaldea than meets the eye...)
    (It still doesn't change the fact that we're constantly in danger, and still have no information on this guy.)
    (With the exception of Koyanskaya, who was...not an Apostle of the Alien God,)
    (both Muramasa and Limbo were High Servants who had some kind of Divine Spirit incorporated into them.)
    (This guy isn't just Moriarty. The problem is who else he is.)

Moriarty just observes Kadoc expression, likening it to a wolf stalking its prey; a likeness Kadoc seemingly does not approve of. Perhaps, Moriarty thinks, because of Kadoc's magecraft specialization Kadoc was always called a dog by others in a mocking sense? Kadoc thinks it's disgusting how Moriarty figured out that much just from a glance, which Moriarty just sees as confirmation. Mashu also chimes in here, saying Beryl would often bark at Kadoc back in Chaldea.

Either way, getting back on topic, Moriarty asks Kadoc if he came here because of Zhang Jiao's fort. Incidentally, that's the same reason why Moriarty himself is there, but past this point is Revenge realm territory, so he suggests the two of them working together for the time being. Kadoc agrees without hesitation. If Moriarty wanted to kill him, he would have already done so, and there isn't really any vital information he could let slip, as he couldn't read any classified records, such as the Storm Border's layout. Conversely, this is the perfect opportunity to extract information from Moriarty, instead.

Moriarty:

Oh my, do you believe yourself capable of this?

Kadoc:
    I don't know. And I won't know unless I give it a try.

Moriarty:
    Ah yes, just like how you tried to slaughter all of Chaldea's personnel.

Kadoc:
    Straight for the jugular, huh.
    I don't really have a problem with that.
    A sin is a sin, I'll accept punishment for it as soon as we resolve this situation.
    Until then, it's in my interest to cooperate. I'll give it my all so I can lessen said punishment as much as I can.

Though when asked if he feels guilt because of it, Kadoc refuses to answer. Moriarty then extends a hand, as a sign of cooperating, but Kadoc refuses that as well, saying he doesn't want to be infected by whatever villainy Moriarty has. Moriarty laughs it off, seemingly taking a liking to Kadoc at this point. All the while, Mashu, having promised to keep this a secret from the others, has moved to a different terminal.

Moriarty:

Zhang Jiao was extremely fixated on the defense of that fortress. To the point he even left behind something akin to a copy of himself.
    And to the extent he hoodwinked it into thinking it was the real Zhang Jiao, and not an alter ego.
    Strange, isn't it? And if it's strange, we should consider it abnormal.
    And if we consider it abnormal---

In other words, guards are still in the area, and the fort is likely to be rebuilt sooner rather than later. And so, they have to work quickly. Moriarty, finally moving out, says that for the time being, he'll be Kadoc's Servant.

Kadoc:

No thanks. I have only one Servant, now and forevermore.

They fight off some guards with extreme ease thanks to Moriarty's power. Just as before, any attack that strikes him is simply nullified. Moriarty says this is a matter of course for an Apostle of the Alien World.

Kadoc:

(Did he reveal his ability because he's confident that it's airtight?)
    (He was neither evading nor blocking their attacks. Those attacks did reach him,)
    (but the damage associated with them did not register. Not even on his clothes.)
    (I feel like this matter is more serious than any damage he may have dealt to the enemy...)
    (What exactly...is this guy fused with?)

But Moriarty laughs once more, saying it'll take more than that to figure him out. More importantly, they should really get a move on already.

--- Arrow 5 ---Moriarty is just breezing through the security systems, instantly deducing the combination to a door with 6.4 quintillion possible permutations and whatnot. Mashu almost thinks that rather than just being really good, it's like he's cheating. But as long as it's open, he thinks it shouldn't matter.

Moriarty:

Or perhaps we should all go 'Hip-Hip-Hurrah!'?

Kadoc:
    Only Fujimaru would play along with that.

Mashu:
    That is true...

And so they descend into the basement. Some things remain hidden even to Moriarty, but considering this is something that was kept hidden even from Kriemhild, he thinks he can narrow it down. Running into some patrolling beasts, Moriarty somehow makes a copy of himself to squash the enemy, before merging himself again. Nothing is impossible for an Apostle of the Alien World!

In short, they reach their destination, and they find their jackpot. It is not a treasure in the direct sense, but a man. A man whose Saint Graph data Mashu recognizes on the instruments—Siegfried.

He thought he'd be trapped here forever, and explains that he has no thoughts of rebellion within him. Kadoc warns against getting too close to Moriarty, but the latter assures them he won't be using that power here, since that wasn't part of his calculations/fate. The double usage here is something Kadoc picks up on.

Moriarty:

Fate and calculations are one and the same.
    Quantum mechanics may have ruled out Laplace's demon, but fate is determined via calculations.

Regardless, things are proceeding according to plan. Even so, Kadoc in this situation is the one to warn Moriarty of the dangers of holding too much power, and how such a thing easily leads to one's downfall. The man who would one day become the world's greatest criminal simply shrugged his shoulders at the young man's warning.

--- Arrow 6 ---Outside, Moriarty leaves Siegfried in Kadoc's care for now. Siegfried reveals he's well aware that Kriemhild, his wife, is the leader of the enemy forces, and he's prepared to fight her already. His blade shall not dull even if against his wife.

Back with Kriemhild, she has gotten a hold of the Grail which Constantine had, so she now has two. Zhang Jiao decides to go an get some fresh air, where he begins to mumble to himself about how the enemy has stolen Siegfried from him. Immediately following this muttering, his presence is requested again by Kriemhild. Turns out, as long as it has to do with Siegfried, Kriemhild pretty much hears and sees everything. Zhang Jiao states that Siegfried's presence would be a hindrance, whether allied or not, and he couldn't allow Kriemhild, who acts as the linchpin of the realm, to fall apart right now. But Kriemhild will not hear it. This is what she's been waiting for. She smiles with a ferocious, wolfish smile. The smile of a bloodsoaked monster, one that no fair maiden should ever have.

Kriemhild:

Were you not aware, Zhang Jiao?
    I have more right than anyone else in the world to exact revenge on him.

We're treated to a flashback to Kriemhild's life.

---It all began in a country known as Burgundy.
    Kriemhild watched it from a window.
    Those childlike warriors wavering between joy and apprehension as they struck with spears and stone.
    And so I would finally meet him a year later.
    ...In hindsight, I wonder if that was love, obsession or something else entirely.
    This inescapable madness (I will not forgive Hagen), guilt (Was it my fault?),
    and sorrow (He was murdered).
    I cannot recall a thing.
    When Siegfried perished at the spring, pierced through his only weakness, my heart died with him.
    It did not take long before my grief turned to hate.
    But what overwhelmed me the most was what Hagen had to say.

Hagen:
    In the end, you never understood a thing.
    I took him down with a stab to the back, ending the feuding.
    That was the promise I made with Siegfried. It was his idea.
    How very...valiant of your hero, wasn't it?
    But as you can see, the tragedies beget more tragedies.
    What he did! What I did!
    It was all in vain! You are to blame for that, Kriemhild!
    You should've just stayed put, and not thought about revenge!
    For what reason did we even---!

...I don't remember much of what happened after that.
    But according to the records, someone denounced me horribly and slashed me while I stood in a daze.
    Not that it matters, I had no intention of living on there.
    My sole regret---was that unbearable confession.
    I see, I see, so that's how it was? This fury, this hatred, all of it...
    It's all your fault.

Kriemhild:
    Did I not tell you? I have been waiting for him.
    My passion was not enough and his love was not real. Hate is the only emotion that he and I can give one another.
    But what I find most detestable...is how that man will undoubtedly...

Siegfried:
    ...No matter. If she has declared rebellion against Pan-Human History,
    I just have to fight her.

Kriemhild:
    ...try to kill me.
    Ugh cokesakto no no no

JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Wait, the traitor to Chaldea wasn't classified info?

- - - Updated - - -

RIP Joan's boyfriend
    canon finish apo vol 3

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    Wait, the traitor to Chaldea wasn't classified info?
    Mash and Fujimaru reported every word of it, including "Don't tell Chaldea".

Such a STUPID scene.
    Ugh cokesakto no no no

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One asterism42's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    Mash and Fujimaru reported every word of it, including "Don't tell Chaldea".
    fuck's sake
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstorm77 View Post
    He's just putting the bone of his sword into other people until it explodes and lets out parts of him inside them.
    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerEmiya View Post
    Genderswaps are terrible, but I think I and other people would hate them less if Fate didn't keep ignoring actual heroines throughout history and folklore. Like, why bother turning Francis Drake into a woman when Ching Shih and Grace O'Malley exist?
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    Fate Zero is just Fate Stay Night for people who think Shirou is too girly
    I think Alex IV can eat Goku.

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    Fujimaru aside, Mash was literally born in Chaldea, you think she'd ever suspect them even if she was told to do so point blank?
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    ladies, he's single
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One asterism42's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Given what they did to her, to the point Olga was convinced she'd seek revenge, I wouldn't be surprised
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstorm77 View Post
    He's just putting the bone of his sword into other people until it explodes and lets out parts of him inside them.
    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerEmiya View Post
    Genderswaps are terrible, but I think I and other people would hate them less if Fate didn't keep ignoring actual heroines throughout history and folklore. Like, why bother turning Francis Drake into a woman when Ching Shih and Grace O'Malley exist?
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    Fate Zero is just Fate Stay Night for people who think Shirou is too girly
    I think Alex IV can eat Goku.

マリーの味方
    well chaldea literally just consists of people mashu considers her friends now, so

Story Summary - Chapter 18: The Pope Galvanizes

(Third time's the charm huh)

--- Arrow 1 ---
    In the Via Regia throne room, they've stuck Gudao on the throne once more. It's not like Charlemagne is going to be able to stick around for much longer either way, so Gudao might as well get used to acting as Karl when necessary. Changing the topic slightly, Sancho gives a report on the current state of affairs. Right now, your available forces consist of a measly 463 Servants, of which only 25 are Heroic Spirit-grade, including those of you present at the moment. On the upside, morale is at an all-time high, with everyone ready to give their all to protect pan-human history. As for the continued plan to take on the Restoration realm and the Revenge realm, Astolfo and Roland enter the room in all haste, bearing urgent news. The Restoration realm is no more.

Considering the crimson sky over what was once the Restoration realm, there's no doubt that this is fully the work of the Revenge realm. You would've thought that losing Zhang Jiao would have put a damper on their plans, but Holmes thinks maybe the one you took out was merely a spare. Interrupting his train of thought is a guard coming into the room, yelling "guards, guards!" before remembering he's the guard. The cause for this ruckus is Bradamante having simply strong-armed her way past all the security, with Joan in tow. Entering the room, Bradamante immediately demands a fight. Charlemagne thinks that's real cool (although it would have been cooler if she didn't want to fight you in particular), and while Joan seems to be trying to withhold her true feelings, she seems to be fully on board with the idea.

Bradamante explains that the assassination of Constantine has lead to the downfall of the Restoration realm, and that the 542 Servants remaining now have the choice of either joining forces with the Via Regia, or simply beating them up and taking over their domain. Joan elaborates, saying that she obviously still harbors some resentment towards pan-human history, so she thought it would be best to get it out of her system before anything else. Additionally, Constantine's death being immediately followed by the remaining forces switching sides might seem a bit odd, so best to just duke it out for now.

You decide which of you are to fight in the battle (including Gudao summoning some Servants), among which Charlemagne won't be one, because of obvious enough reasons. The two sides then quickly deteriorate into some sort of pub fight atmosphere, with low-ball taunts being thrown around. Even Joan joins in with the hooliganism, until Vlad begs everyone to stop, and just get the battle on with already.

---

Naturally, you beat Joan and Bradamante's party, but Joan doesn't feel particularly down about it. On the contrary, it was refreshing for her to get this out there finally. There's also the fact that this safeguards the existence of the other Servants. Her own life might lack meaning, but right now, she's a beacon of sorts for these lost Servants from the Restoration realm, which need to be taken care of by the Via Regia. Furthermore, she'd like to be of use in taking on the Revenge realm. Sancho feels it's safe to trust her, considering the priority right now should be the lives of the Restoration realm survivors, and they would all rather disappear triumphantly with the Singularity, rather than in meager defeat. Of course, Gudao accepts Joan and all her shortcomings, asking her to join in on the fight. Holmes also wants to put the obvious out in the open, saying that Joan is someone who stands firm in the face of the strong, who would never cower before heroes, but is extremely vulnerable to the pleas of the weak, wielding her papal powers for the sake of the powerless masses. Joan gets the point, and agrees to be the flagbearer for Via Regia.

With this, you now have Karl der Große and Joan as the flagbearers for those who would side with pan-human history. Unfortunately, your roughly 1000 troops are up against the 12,000 of the Revenge realm. Being outnumbered this greatly, there's only one real course of action available: send an elite troop in to take Kriemhild's head directly. Any remaining Servants will serve as rearguard and make sure the former group isn't followed. Charlemagne says he, Astolfo, Roland, Holmes, Bradamante, and Diarmuid will be on the frontlines alongside Gudao. Don Quixote wants to as well, but he's relegated to the middle guard. There's a big risk that the elite troop will fail, and if that comes to pass, Don needs to be able to act as the new vanguard. Though Sancho has slight objections to this, Don silences her promptly.

Kadoc now returns from his trip, and Mashu on the communications says that you now possess a trump card which will drastically improve your odds of success. The person Kadoc found in that fort: Siegfried, the dragonslayer, with a body of invincible steel, shall serve as your vanguard.

--- Arrow 2 ---
    It's no wonder Zhang Jiao had tried to seal away Siegfried, considering the effect he'd have on Kriemhild. Whether he stands with or against her, her mind will be severely impacted. On another note, Holmes asks Kadoc if there was anything significant in his conversation with Moriarty in the fort, and Kadoc says Mashu should have the conversation log recorded. However, when she goes to look for it, it appears to have been completely deleted. Kadoc can at least still recount mostly what was said, so Holmes should be able to figure something out. But he can't. Whenever he tries to deduce anything about this Moriarty, his reasoning is scrambled and thrown into disarray. He says that he should almost conceptually be the one to triumph between the two of them. Even back when alive, they fought, and both fell into the Reichenbach Falls, and while it would have been a mutual kill, Holmes survived in the end, both in the novels and in real life. Despite all that, the path to the solution remains clouded to him this time. Maybe it's because he's an Apostle of the Alien World, or maybe it's because Holmes--- He cuts his train of thought short, changing the topic to Kriemhild. Possessing two grails, she'll be a great threat to you all.

On the castle roof later that night, you've been called up by Charlemagne, who had something to show you. He's made a little hideout for you behind some stuff, and tells you to just sit and watch. Once you're hidden, Joan appears on the roof, also having been called up by Charlemagne. He had said that he was probably the only one who could talk to her about this stuff, and he's definitely right. Their topic of conversation is how Charlemagne isn't truly the father of Europe, and how it was the other side of Karl der Große which did all that stuff throughout history. In other words, the Charlemagne here right now is merely a collection of the remaining legends; an existence akin to a fantasy. Actually, he's so much "pure fiction" that even summoning him should normally be impossible, since even though it's normal to get different aspects of a Heroic Spirit, the real Karl so greatly overshadows the fictional Charlemagne that the odds are basically zero.

Joan tries to deny that they're the same. She calls herself an impostor, thinking she has no place whatsoever in history. But Charlemagne counters with the fact that there are many who would be saddened by her absence from history.

Charlemagne:

I doubt there are that many in Pan-Human History who would mock you as an impostor, no?
    You are not unwanted by Pan-Human History.
    You're here because you were wanted---
    You were wanted yet you didn't exist, which is why your legend remained, even when you were rejected.
    If no one truly wanted you to be, even your legend itself would have disappeared.

Joan recalls Constantine having said the same thing, that there's meaning in her remaining within history. But how can she bear that, knowing her life was a meaningless daydream?

Charlemagne:

I suppose it's because I swing my blade for the ones who believed in me being here.
    Does it matter even if you remain on the Texture of reality or not? Does it matter even if someone thinks of you as a dream?

Even the fact that she herself views the rebellion as something bad shows that she's really part of the same team as the rest of you are. Joan wonders if Constantine saw this far ahead with this, but Charlemagne thinks that it wouldn't have mattered. If she had chosen to rebel, then so would he have, and had she chosen to accept the outcome, he would have seen her off. As for why he would act like that, she has to ask Bradamante, as it's not something Charlemagne is comfortable telling her about. Either way, she's not the only one who harbors anger towards pan-human history, but it's all about finding that the good outweighs the bad; about finding that one thing that makes it all worthwhile. Joan will consider all they've talked about tonight, and once she leaves you're able to come out of hiding again.

Siegfried eventually comes up on the roof too, looking for you, and so Charlemagne leaves the two of you alone. Siegfried says he has a request to make for the upcoming battle, and should you choose to decline, or even kill him for suggesting it, he'd accept it. You cut off communications with Chaldea, and Siegfried proceeds to state his request, leaving Gudao lost for words, for which he can only apologize.

Meanwhile, Joan recounted the conversation from earlier to Bradamante, and Brad just says that the reason Charlemagne meant was that Joan and Constantine were obviously in love with each other. Joan gets flustered, but Bradamante is sure that at least he loved her. Joan continues to be flustered, talking about ex-boyfriends and her impostor history, but Bradamante makes her stop. Joan should just view him as a first love, and retain that feeling for the upcoming battle, to fight for Constantine's memory. Even though his death saddens her, that sadness is important in reminding her that it's only because she was happy then that she's sad now that he's gone.

Elsewhere, Holmes is speaking to Mashu over the communications. He's been thinking about Moriarty's powers, but he's not able to deduce anything yet. Is there a hint in his ability to force rebellion on Vlad? But wasn't that shown off too blatantly to be a major puzzle piece? No matter how he thinks about this, he's just going in circles, and maybe that's exactly what Moriarty wants. Cut to Moriarty in his waterfall lair:

Moriarty:

What do you know about me, Moriarty?
    I know everything there is to know about you, Sherlock Holmes.
    Though I remain unsure whether to hold you in respect or contempt.
    ...Now then, who will triumph in this battle?
    Kriemhild, who seeks to exact revenge on Siegfried?
    Or perhaps Chaldea... the Via Regia Realm which bears the noble cause of saving the world?
    Well, not that it matters at this point either way... No, in this case,
    I suppose Chaldea is preferable.
    For it would create a proper motive to defeat the Sherlock Holmes.
    So save the world and then destroy it, good fellows. Just as you've always done.
    Ugh cokesakto no no no

Story Summary - Chapter 19: Florid Are the Knights, or Perhaps Unknown to All

--- Arrow 1 ---The next morning, you're ready to head out on your big mission. Mashu reports that the maintenance on the Ortenaus is still underway, so she won't be able to join you for this either. Losing out on your Shielder is pretty bad, considering Kriemhild has 12,000 Servants, Zhang Jiao, and the mysterious Archer who took out Constantine. Their forces should be greater in both quantity and quality. However, this time you have no secrets to keep. Charlemagne also has a plan for how to deal with the Archer, which initially involved tying Roland to a spear and using him as a spear, but now Siegfried will handle it instead. Even if the arrow is super strong, his Noble Phantasm can defend against it. As such, Siegfried will focus on defense will still on the frontline, and so the rest of you will have to take care of the surrounding enemies, to allow him to focus on the arrows. However, on top of all this, Astolfo will also act as Charlemagne's secret anti-Archer device. He'll follow along on the ground for most of the battle, but once that Archer begins shooting, it's up to Astolfo to take him out for good. Don will protect Vlad, Joan, and Sancho in the middle guard.

As for Gudao...Sancho has something to hand them: the Holy Grail. She thinks we might as well have it, since it's we who need to live this through until the end. As for the rest, Xu Fu is also in the middle guard as support, and Diarmuid is in charge of the rearguard. Formations and strategies are meaningless this time around, you'll just charge in boldly to make progress. There will be no time for hesitation.

In the Revenge realm, scouts report that the Via Regia have mobilized, but the other Servants in the throne room seem to wonder why there are only so few of them. Kriemhild, however, knows that those who feel no hesitation to die are the strongest warriors. Thus, she will engage in total war. No trickery, just fight them head on. She orders the Archer to be focused on the elite troops that will inevitably be on the frontlines. If the Master of Chaldea makes it in here, every single Servant in here is ordered to take their own life as compensation for their failure. Her mind now soars with visions of death, as she gets ready to meet her fated enemies.

Out on the battlefield, the war has already begun. You're flanked on both sides by enemy forces, so you're simply just going to charge right through the middle of them. The flanks are sure to pursue, but you just have to ignore them and keep moving forward. This is a test of speed. If you drag out this assault, you've already lost.

--- Arrow 2 ---As you proceed further on the battlefield, you lose allied (unnamed) Servants left and right. Kadoc feeds you energy ampoules in order to keep up with the Servants, though overusing these like this is sure to severely shorten your life-span. Your Mystic Code may be supporting you right now, but at the end of the day you're still a human trying to keep up with Servants. And so, when you begin to stumble, Kadoc has no choice but to support you on his shoulders himself, as the Servants are all busy with the battle.

The Revenge realm appears to have released demonic beasts onto the field, which are now locked in battle with Diarmuid, as the rest of you proceed forward.

--- Arrow 3 ---As the rest proceed, Diarmuid orders the troops to deal with the demonic beasts. Once the rearguard is able to break through, they should catch up with the middle guard, while Diarmuid stays in the back to prevent any further pursuers. An Assassin (likely the one from earlier) offers to stay with him until the very end, even though it's a certain death.

The troops walk the path towards hell with spring in their step, at full speed the whole time, approaching the gates of the Revenge realm. And so, the archer that felled the emperor makes his move. The casters atop the tower activate the mechanism fueling Minamoto-no-Tametomo, setting the target as Karl der Große. The Archer begins to move as the magical energy swirls around him. All those around fear this Noble Phantasm, rivaling a demonic or holy blade, and which even pierced Constantine's walls, albeit conditionally. As soon as he fires the first arrow, Siegfried prepares himself on the ground.

For heroes who wage war on the battlefield, intuition is an innate ability, even if it isn't keen enough to be converted into a Skill. On top of that, Holmes had gotten information about the last time from Joan and Bradamante, which he then passed on to Siegfried along with his own conjectures. All Siegfried had to do now was perfect the timing. He takes one deep breath, watching the arrow moving at supersonic speed, and takes one terrifying step forward. Astolfo followed close behind him, while the rest of the troops created some distance between them and Siegfried. "True Ether, release," he says under his breath, as the Revenge realm troops attempt to stop the dragonslayer from activating his Noble Phantasm. But doing so would cause them to succumb in the area of effect as well. They are all giving their own lives for the sake of victory here. As Siegfried prepares his Noble Phantasm, Gudao summons Servants to protect the knight.

---

Azure sparks fly as sword and arrow clash. The very air warps and screams. Magical energy surges tempestuously.
    ---Sure enough, there stands the dragon-slaying hero.

The impossible have just happened. Siegfried remains standing without a scratch.

It is no wonder the Casters have turned pale. There are few capable of withstanding a hit from that arrow.
    It was the kind of projectile that the fragile bodies of humans have no hope of withstanding.
    ---They were not informed.
    That the hero who has begun sprinting once more is the great hero spoken of in legends as the dragon-slayer.
    The man who bathed in dragon blood and attained an invincible body.
    When it comes to marching forward while on the defensive, no one else can hope to hold a candle to this hero.
    His name is Siegfried. His pale blade cleaves the vermilion sky.

--- Arrow 4 ---Tametomo watches on from the tower.

It did not miss. It was deflected.
    First of all, that sword was unexpectedly sturdy.
    It is, without a doubt, a Noble Phantasm.
    It must be a Noble Phantasm derived from the Age of Gods at that, or a weapon whose name is carved into legend.
    However, the problem is what followed afterwards.
    The sword struck the arrow that was fired. That in itself was no surprise.
    Yet it was with impeccable skill that he handled the energy of the arrow.
    That, on the other hand, was strange and abnormal.
    Under normal circumstances, even if his sword halts the arrow, the absurd amount of magical energy infused into the arrow would have obliterated him.
    However, he withstood even that tempestuous magical energy.
    ...On the contrary, the injuries he sustained were too trivial to even be called minor wounds.
    Needless to say, it must be some manner of Noble Phantasm. One that makes him sturdy or invincible.
    There are a plethora of defensive Noble Phantasms in existence, and Tametomo was not familiar with them all.
    What he comprehended though was its sturdiness. So the problem lies in skill, as expected.
    Repelling a bullet from a handgun with a sword is not impossible. But it is impossible to do the same with a missile.
    Because even if it were repelled, it would be a meaningless act since it would explode on the spot.
    Swordsmanship is meaningless before an arrow capable of piercing the very earth.
    Or so it should have been.
    ---Correcting trajectory. Commencing recalculations.

The Casters try to stop him, as he's now acting on his own, but even the emergency shutdown system has no effect. He is already capable of unassisted fire. As they try to instead cut the magical energy supply completely, he cuts them down. His new target is the one he has only given the codename "dragon". If one arrow isn't enough, then the only logical step is to fire more. Three arrows at once. And so he fires, "Unbroken Threefold Salvo".

As soon as Siegfried sees the next arrow coming, Astolfo is ordered to break off from the rest of the troops. He's not sure if he'll be back after this, so this is gonna have to be farewell. Farewell to the Master of Chaldea, to his king, and to his fellow paladins. Charlemagne just wishes Astolfo doesn't mess this up, watching him soar away at top speed on his hippogriff, directly towards the top of that tower. Meanwhile, as Siegfried prepares for the arrows, Gudao has to summon Servants once more to protect him.

---

Three arrows at once would be impossible to block completely. Siegfried positions himself such that he would at least avoid sustaining fatal injuries. He takes down the first arrow with his Noble Phantasm, as before. The second arrow, though, is a bit different. It took a path to attempt to feint the swordsman, and so he just barely managed to divert the fatal trajectory. Now he was at his limit, and would have no choice but to weather the third shot. There was a slightly delay before it hit, but even so, his options were exceedingly limited. He could not deflect it with his blade, not evade it entirely, nor drops his blade to shield himself further. All he could do was shift his body a few inches. In any other situation, it would have still pierced the core of the target, but not if it was up against Siegfried. And so, the arrow that sunk a ship struck the Servant head-on, but left him standing. He sustained some injuries, but not enough to take him out.

However, now Tametomo realized how Siegfried's Noble Phantasm works, but he did not have time to act on it, for he saw a beast flying towards him rapidly. His focus on the knight ahead had made him completely miss out on the interception coming for him right now. Tametomo shot an arrow, without much intent to kill immediately, and the hippogriff phased right through it.

Since he had no idea how much the beast could phase, he simply had to rely on numbers. And so that's what he did.

Three arrows of the barrage pierced Astolfo. Despite not being Noble Phantasms, they carried immense power, and practically tore his body apart. But Astolfo was prepared for this. This was a total kamikaze mission. He didn't fear death, nor the pain. It would all be over if he failed here. Leaving behind the wounded hippogriff, Astolfo falls straight down towards the Archer at free fall. Tametomo knocks one last arrow, and shoots it at the paladin's core. Astolfo, on the other hand, activates his Noble Phantasm, the lance in his hands.

The plan had been devised by Holmes, deducing that Tametomo drew his power supply from the tower itself, so the idea was the sever that connection. In other words, get rid of his legs. In addition, before leaving the battlefield, Astolfo had spoken to Joan, who in her anger towards Tametomo for killing her loved one, had given Astolfo her blessing. A vow to avenge them all. And so, because Joan's words purposefully induce miracles, that's what happened. Despite having his core pierced, Astolfo kept falling toward Tametomo, and struck him with his Noble Phantasm. For just that short moment, Astolfo was rendered unable to die by Joan's words, but it did not last long. As the lance struck the Archer, his supply was cut, and in this moment he realized that he was no more than a broken machine that had lost its reason to fight.

As Tametomo and Astolfo lay there, disappearing in sync, Tametomo praised the little knight, for he had vanquished a great hero here. Astolfo is happy to hear it, but he did cheat a bit here, so he would like to try again some other time, but Tametomo scoffs, saying he'll surely win next time. The two of them, hailing from different histories, different eras, different countries, and even different races, had the exact same thought the moment they disappeared: "I'm satisfied with this".

--- Arrow 5 ---The arrows have stopped coming, and there's no time to lose. You press on, with only 100 meters until the gate. You know the gate can withstand several anti-army Noble Phantasms, and would even reflect weak ones back, so Roland knows this is his last moment as well. Saying his farewells to you all, he assures you that he, as Durandal's true wielder, can work a miracle here as well. Inside, Zhang Jiao instructs the Casters to apply all manner of conceptual defenses on the gate, because there is one fatal flaw in the gate: gates are meant to be opened, not closed, and should it be opened with conceptual means rather than brute force, there would be nothing to stop them. And so, below, Roland begins his miracle.

The blade that Roland wields is Durandal.
    Though it was the blade once wielded by the great Trojan hero Hector,
    there is a single difference now than when Hector wielded it.
    The remains of saints embedded within its hilt imparted upon it another power separate from its use as a blade.
    Namely, miracles.
    Roland raised his blade to open the Gate of Retribution that not even the prayers of Joan could have opened.

As the archers atop the gate attack him, they notice something strange. The arrows that previously had no effect now hit him just as usual. You want to go help him, but Charlemagne stops you. He knows this is it for Roland. You can't interfere. That's not how miracles work. Roland may be invincible, but that's all he is. Invincibility can't open gates, and so he discarded that attribute, or rather, he offered it up in exchange. But it seems it isn't enough.

Roland will offer up everything he has to open the gate.
    Charlemagne was only half-correct there.
    That was not all he had offered up.
    These arrows...really...do hurt...
    He laughs bitterly, coughing up blood as he states the obvious.
    But the gate should definitely open now...it should open...
    ---It did not open. A miracle demanded more than he offered.

Roland begs for a miracle. He begs for the gate to open, no matter what price he must pay. And the sword hears his prayer to offer up everything. The holy sword itself would not be enough to work this miracle, even with his invincibility offered up, so what more must he give? There was just one more thing he could give. Something more important than even his life.

Roland:
    Hear me, gate! All my memories and records, I offer unto you!
    All of them, every last bit! Take all of me from the memories of others as well!
    I'm fine with them never knowing who opened this gate or who died!
    I shall even offer up the exultation of knowing the ones I fought alongside here!
    That's right, this pride need not carry over! This is fine!
    Even if none of them are to understand a thing!

And so they all begin to forget. How or why this gate opened, and even that someone stood right there on the battlefield. Even Sherlock Holmes, who could deduce anything, would fail to do so in this case. And the same goes for Roland himself. That is the price of this miracle. What remains in his place is but a concept of a man that may or may not have been. And then the gate opens up. Everyone seem surprised that it just opened on its own, but they waste no time in getting inside.

Not a soul could hamper the opening of the gate.
    Not a soul could hinder he who had become the very "phenomenon" of a gate opening.
    Until the gate has fully opened and closed,
    this "phenomenon" will continue to perform miracles.
    And upon ensuring that the rearguard of the alliance made it in, the gate finally closed.
    Nothing lies there. Who opened the gate, and how was it opened?
    For the human Master and the observers of Chaldea, the ones who ought to have remembered. For both friend and foe alike.
    The gate merely opened and closed on its own.
    And Ŗ̵͐͑ǫ̴̰̒́ĺ̷̗ͅa̶̻̾ņ̴̢́d̷̳̼͛ accepted it, then forgot, and laughed before disappearing.
    Now there remained nothing in that place.
    Ugh cokesakto no no no

JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Kadoc feeds you energy ampoules in order to keep up with the Servants, though overusing these like this is sure to severely shorten your life-span.
    Comun rubbing his hands together.

Thanks again, Fumei. Joan a cute. Siegfried and the Paladins are badass.

- - - Updated - - -

Bless Higashide for bringing it home for Siegfried after Orleans.
    canon finish apo vol 3

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I wasn’t aware of my reputation as the “Fujimaru dies” guy.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Nanaya's Avatar
    I wasn’t aware of my reputation as the “Fujimaru dies” guy.
    For something that's been uttered so frequently, it seems as though you've risen as the representative of this concept. How did you acquire such power?

Story Summary - Chapter 20: Yet Falling Short of Vengeance

--- Arrow 1 ---Once inside the gate, you split up into two teams: Siegfried, Bradamante, Don Quixote, Sancho, Joan, Holmes, Kadoc, and Gudao will move ahead, while the rest stay behind to act as rearguard. You're immediately met by a large group of enemy Servants, who Joan try to force into submission by her words, but her words are less effective when the enemy isn't of the same religion as her, so a lot of them remain combat ready, forcing you to fight. Charlemagne makes use of his Noble Phantasm to clear out some more of them, which makes you worry he'll disappear soon, but he assures you he can make it to the throne room, and so you head in.

--- Arrow 2 ---Kriemhild is ready for the assault. This is what her realm and her revenge have been building towards. She's still mad Zhang Jiao hid Siegfried from her, but she'll let it slide since he's coming to her anyway. Likewise, this is a big deal for Zhang Jiao, since if he can get a hold of the third grail, then he, or rather his Master, will achieve victory here as well. All Kriemhild has to do is focus on Siegfried, and Zhang Jiao will receive their guests as they enter the palace. And so he does. As soon as you enter, you run into him, alongside numerous guards. Holmes tells Siegfried and Charlemagne to take Gudao and Kadoc further into the palace while the rest of them subdue the assailants.

But it doesn't take long before you run into more enemies within the narrow corridors, so you're forced to summon more temporary help. You manage to fight some of them off, but more are coming by the second, and you're being surrounded. And then, suddenly, an Assassin comes out of nowhere, ready to take Gudao's life, as Kadoc watches...

There was no time to immerse himself in memories. His thoughts simply turned to the death in front of him.
    The life of Kadoc was a dull one to begin with, in every aspect.
    A mage with hardly any history behind his name, in a family whose development of magecraft had lost all momentum.
    He was born into it with mediocre talent, falling short of being a wonder child.
    The fact that Chaldea took him in at all was a miracle in itself.
    Then he died at Chaldea, was resurrected, became a Crypter, and then---

Kadoc steps in front of you.

I had a look at the records. I saw the records of the other Crypters who fought in their Lostbelts.
    Ophelia Phamrsolone, who cast aside her Mystic Eye and wielded the Sirius Light to seal the flame of the apocalypse, Surtr.
    Akuta Hinako...Yu Mei-ren, who sacrificed all she had for the one she loved.
    Kirschtaria Wodime, who sought to uplift all of humanity to godhood and suffered betrayal at the hands of Beryl.
    Scandinavia Peperoncino, who set off to the underworld, taking Beryl's power with him to the grave.
    And Beryl Gut, who failed to attain his dearest wish.
    Daybit and I are the only Crypters left.
    And I was first to taste defeat. So the truth of it is that---
    My fate had ended a long time ago. That's the feeling I get.

The Assassin's dagger descends.

Nothing I can do about this, nothing I can do about that. I feel like that phrase encapsulates my whole life.
    But there really is nothing I can do. I cannot possibly evade this blade swinging down on me.
    To top it off, my body had moved for some reason to shield Fujimaru.
    Even though he was my enemy, even though I hated him.
    His life was still one that Ophelia and Peperoncino gave everything they had to preserve.
    Truth be told, he has far more potential than someone like me.
    So this is a good stopping point.
    ...nothing I can do about that.

However...

???:
    Naturally, I won't let that happen.

Something, or someone, stopped the blow. Kadoc can't figure it out at first, but then he realizes. That's...

???:

There's nothing you can do about this. After all, she trusts me to fulfill her request.
    "Please keep Kadoc safe."

Kadoc:

Oh, damn it. So I'm still not allowed to sacrifice myself?

???:
    Of course not.
    You may not grow old peacefully, but do try your best to stick around a little longer.
    That is what I---what she, my Anastasia---wished for. It is what I, Viy, wish for as well.
    So please try your best, just a little further.
    I know you can do it. I'm sure of it.

Viy fades from view, with even Gudao in shock.

I held my tears back. I was happy. And sad.
    That just now was merely the vestiges of an Elemental.
    It was mere coincidence that it so happened to take that form at the behest of its master, Anastasia, and come to my aid.
    After all, I have no heroic powers of my own. None at all.
    Yet I strangely felt pride in this situation, one where I was protected. One that should have made me feel inadequate.
    That's right, Anastasia. Just like you were my Caster,
    I too am your Master.

Kadoc takes an energy ampoule from Gudao. If Viy's powers are helping him here, that means he'll be able to back you up as well, so he'll need all the energy he can get.

--- Arrow 3 ---As you keep running, you bump into Kiyohime again. However, she hasn't joined the Revenge realm, since she won't join someone who lies. She asks you if you intend to destroy this Singularity, and when you say yes, she says she'll help you out since at least you're honest. She'll clear the way and hold down this area, and Charlemagne will stay behind with her to help out, while Siegfried continues going with you. However, Kiyohime isn't so thrilled to be paired with Charlemagne, considering he gives off the energy of someone who lies all the time.

Outside, with the group facing Zhang Jiao, the old man is performing a tao incantation. Normally, one would beseech a Xian for divine protection and blessing, but he made the incantation to himself, as if he was the god in this context. Since this is probably his trump card, Holmes tells Bradamante to keep her distance and stick to defense for now. Zhang Jiao takes this as an opportunity to move in, but Joan manages to stop him in his tracks. He asks if she won't change side, since he knows she hates pan-human history, but since he robbed her of the man she loved, she'll kick his ass here instead.

Suddenly, just as reinforcements are about to arrive, a gunshot is heard, and a bullet hits Zhang Jiao. Some random monk with a sniper is apparently the culprit.

???:

I had every intention of destroying this Singularity from the very beginning.
    I longed for this moment, even if I should be mired in mud, blood, and wickedness!
    I will ruin everything, Great Teacher!

Zhang Jiao uses his Noble Phantasm as a last ditch effort, and the monk just takes the hit and dies. It was almost too easy, and then he realizes, that was a distraction. Once he pays attention to the others, it's too late, as Don Quixote and Sancho are already invoking their Noble Phantasm. Even though Zhang Jiao again tries to stop them, Bradamante's Noble Phantasm strikes him, since apparently Don's activation was another distraction. Except, after that blow, Don and Sancho start on their real plan here. Using the same Noble Phantasm they used on Vlad earlier, they'll force Zhang Jiao into reality. His power zaps, and he once again turns into gold and disappears.

Unfortunately, this time it also spells the end of Don and Sancho. It's not a violent end, but this is where they have to leave you. Elsewhere, the Monk (who is still dying, apparently) thanks you for finishing her job, and urges you to win. Back with Gudao and co, more enemies approach from the rear, but you are just about the enter the throne room.

--- Arrow 4 ---The clank of the armor entering the room throws Kriemhild into a fit of nostalgia. The man she fell in love with, who she now hates, stands before her. They greet each other coldly, making it clear that neither party intends to show the other any mercy. Especially not since Kriemhild has no intention of stopping, even if every other Servant in the realm falls. She berates Siegfried, her husband, for being a traitor and a liar, and he can only take it. He knows he's been a liar, and he draws a tired sigh.

Kriemhild:

It's too late to apologize!
    You betrayed my love! I put everything on the line to avenge you!
    Yet, from the very beginning, you had already forsaken your life! I won't forgive, I won't forgive you, I won't forgive you...!

Kadoc is almost frightened as she speaks her words. Her mere voice electrifies the room, surely the power of having two grails within her. Now, the two wielders of Balmung will clash once and for all.

--- Arrow 5 ---
    How fun. How fun, how fun, how fun!
    Vengeance can't be achieved with a mournful face. Vengeance can't be achieved with a melancholic heart.
    I'm taking revenge against my most hated enemy. The one last target I could never have reached in my lifetime!
    Go mad, go mad, go mad with revenge. The obsession of the dead causes hatred to well up.
    It was all your fault. I hated you for all of it.
    Yet you remain ever the hero, struggling to save the world without so much as an apology.
    So perish then. Perish, world.
    My beloathed, all that you cherish deserves to perish from this world.

Her movements completely lack finesse, but the double grails compensate for it in raw power as she swings her blade. Practically twice as strong as Siegfried, and twice as fast, she is likely to best arguably one of the greatest hero soon enough. In fact, the damage is starting to stack up on Siegfried. If you could just find a weakness on her. That's when it hits Kadoc. He calls out to Viy, and asks him to transfer the power of the Mystic Eyes to Siegfried. Viy complies, and Kadoc lets Siegfried know that he'll be buffing him.

Kriemhild immediately notices that something changed. It's not something within her, as if she was being hampered, but something without. Mystic Eyes. Even so, she doesn't know their effect. It's not one that binds the target, and it's not strengthening Siegfried either. If he's merely peering into the past, that won't help him here. So is he seeing the future? Or is he seeing her weaknesses? As she utters those words, Kadoc perks up, and she knows she hit the jackpot. However, she doesn't care too much. She knows Siegfried's weaknesses just as well, and so Siegfried feels no fear of going all out against her. It's still a battle to the death, although Siegfried makes it clear that he'll first fight to defeat her, then he'll worry about the rest, and this sends Kriemhild into a fury. It's now a battle to see which is justified: his heroism or her hatred.

--- Arrow 6 ---A flashback.

I recall the first time we met.
    Back then, I was young and earnest. I believed in the innate goodness and nobility of man. And above all else---
    I had faith in the love that man was capable of. Not merely the love shared between lovers, but familial love and affection too.
    When I fell in love, those feelings only grew stronger.
    I believed that love was eternal, faithful, virtuous, and immutable.
    That did not change, even after I was driven mad with vengeance.
    This love of mine will never change. It is as pure and as immutable as a diamond.
    I realized this truth moments before I killed Hagen.
    It was a trivial matter. That woman and I, the ones who intensified the feud.
    If it were down to us, we could have resolved the issue with a fistfight. However, both she and I had a plethora of relatives and subordinates.
    In other words, it was about to turn out into a conflict between our houses. A conflict tantamount to a war between countries.
    They say my husband, the one who I loved with all my heart, gave his life to prevent that.
    Yes. That meant my revenge was pointless from the get-go.
    I see. So I could not have possibly been an Avenger. Berserker is the class that truly befits me.
    Oh...but I am furious. I am so, so furious.
    My husband proclaimed his love for me.
    But it surely must have been mere lip service.
    Said only because he was obligated to say them to the woman he took as wife.
    For my feelings have no place in that heroic conduct of his.
    My grief and sorrow meant nothing to him.
    No, on the contrary, I suppose he could not have cared less.
    He must never have imagined I would seek revenge.
    He must have thought that I would lament, mourn, and then find someone else.
    To hell with that, to hell with that. Damn it, every fiber of my being burns with fury.
    Yet I could not grow any stronger.
    Neither from the overwhelming amount of magical energy I received from the Holy Grails, nor from my crazed lust for revenge.
    The dragon-slayer's righteous strike sends my body flying.

The grails leave Kriemhild, and you're quick to collect them. Kadoc is ecstatic that you won, but you know it's time for something else. Before that, Kriemhild laments her loss here. Even with all this power she had, it didn't matter. But Siegfried consoles her. He says he should've had more faith in her strength. He believed she was the kind of person to get back on her feet no matter what, and that she'd leave a good life after he was gone, but the one thing he didn't have faith in was her noble outlook on love. She can't believe what she's hearing. He's apologizing for all that he's caused her, and he's suffering internally from reflecting on his own foolishness. But now, he'll have to commit one more mistake.

He turns to you. Kriemhild is all but spent from that battle. He's defeated her, and kept his end of the deal. And now he stands here before you. You understand perfectly (since this is the favor he asked of you earlier). Now then, he is finally able to fight for Kriemhild, at last. He had decided on it long ago: if Kriemhild should survive the crumbling of her ambitions, he would be her blade.

Siegfried:

Kriemhild.
    I may have been wrong about you, but you were wrong about me too.
    It is hardly unnatural to fight for the one you love.

He reaches his hand out to the flustered Kriemhild, asking her to stand for their pride and their love. Grasping his hand, she can't help but laugh. Before she knows it, she's standing beside him, saying she can fight harder than ever with a warrior like him by her side. They continue to compliment each other, until Kadoc lets out that this is like something straight out of a sitcom romance, and they're forced to snap out of it. In the end, it's not Kadoc's place to say anything about betrayal, so he's fine with this. However, you can't afford to lose after all this. But Siegfried has no intention of losing here either. Or so he says.

Despite their words, the truth is that this is merely a charade for both sides.
    To all of you from Pan-Human History, please rest assured.
    The battle that is about to unfold is merely a rite of parting.
    ---How unpleasant. I don't deserve such a happy ending.

---

You defeat the couple, and they confess their regrets to one another. This is both their punishment and their atonement, but if it's with him, she has no regrets anymore. And so, they disappear. Mashu contacts you to say that she noticed you've secured all three Grails, and that the majority of the Revenge realm has been defeated. Most others have chosen to surrender, and they'll likely soon be unsummoned. However, there seems to be no sign of a Singularity collapse, so maybe it's not all over yet. Before the scene ends you have one last pointless meeting with Kiyohime before she also disappears, where she says that she thinks you're her Anchin.

--- Arrow 7 ---You head outside and meet up with the rest. Holmes has already received a report on what happened inside, and he tells you what happened here. Before Holmes can think about the lack of a Singularity collapse, Moriarty hijacks the communications again. He congratulates you on your victory on ending the rebellion against pan-human history and taking down the Singularity. Or rather, that's what he's sure you'd like to hear. But he's still here: James Moriarty, Apostle of the Alien World, and last remaining Servant rebelling against pan-human history.

He makes a remark about Joan and Bradamante helping you even if they were drawn here by the "heat" of rebellion, which makes Joan question if he wasn't affected by the same thing. He says of course he wasn't. After all, no matter who unified the three realms, it was merely acting as a ritual. Don and Sancho are still here, but just barely, and Moriarty can tell they're soon to disappear, in addition to seeing their true names. He reiterates that what you've done here won't make the Singularity go away, so it was all pointless.

Don Quixote:

Hahaha! And here I was wondering what you were about to say all of a sudden!
    As a forerunner, I'll let you in on a little something, Moriarty.
    Conflict is meaningless to begin with, and life is borderline meaningless!
    That said, we must not spend it slovenly.
    There's nothing wrong with indulging in fantasies, but those fantasies also deserve to be engaged seriously.
    I was enchanted by my dream of knighthood. Which is why I toiled as a knight.
    I couldn't be corrupted into an outraging bandit when I was captive to my dream of knighthood, could I?
    Besides, there is meaning to this battle. For he is alive, and so are the others!

And with that, he and Sancho disappear, but not before leaving you a parting gift: Minerva. She'll act as a scout until you have fixed the Singularity. With the two of them gone, Moriarty continues explaining what it is he wants. It's a decisive battle against Chaldea, or rather, to settle things with Sherlock Holmes. Holmes is all for it, and Moriarty says from this point on, there's no more trickery, just a fair battle of wits. If Holmes possesses enough wit to surpass this Moriarty, then Moriarty's defeat is assured, but if not, Moriarty will win. And so he beckons Sherlock to come; to the center of the three realms, to the stage he named Reichenbach Falls.

Once communications cut off, Joan explains that when he first appeared to them in the Restoration realm, he was pushing for them to unify the realms, and warned them of Chaldea, but that was all he did. Maybe they never mattered to him. Maybe this Singularity never even mattered to him. Rather abruptly, Bradamante and Joan start disappearing too. At the very least, Joan is able to answer Charlemagne's question finally: since that smiling emperor existed within pan-human history, it was surely wonderful, and the good outweighs the bad. Holmes then drops some lore recap on you before you head out:

Sherlock Holmes:

Nearly every Servant in this Singularity harbored a rebellious spirit to some degree.
    Not under the influence of the Apostle of the Alien World, but under the influence of their Master.
    No, that's not quite right. The countless Command Spells that flitted about in the war.
    That was the most important clue.
    As expected, Moriarty was not a Master but an Apostle of the Alien World.

Then it's time to head out. Vlad is still damaged and decides to just head back to Chaldea already, and gives his remaining energy to Charlemagne. You set Minerva to scout out your location, but before you leave, you find a talisman left behind by Xu Fu. It's a letter of sorts.

Xu Fu:

Oh, if you are reading this, then it means I have fallen in battle. My deepest apologies.
    Or perhaps I was unsummoned after your victory? Well, it doesn't matter either way.
    Well, I am obliged to you in a lot of ways, and vice versa.
    So here's some valuable information from me.
    It is my belief that there is a different Master for each Servant.
    Because when I used the Tao arts to divine the Master who summoned me, what I got was---
    "Gently", "Without resenting others", "Without loathing others", "Why?", "Yet I cannot forgive".
    According to the divination, the summoning was conducted with such thoughts in mind.
    Yet when I tried divining another Servant as a test,
    "I will kill you", "I will not forgive you", "I won't forgive you for killing so much of humanity", "Why?",
    were the results I got. This Servant had escaped the Via Regia Realm in the midst of that turmoil and made their way to the Revenge Realm.
    I believe the difference in the extents of our rebellion against and revulsion towards Pan-Human History derives from the differences between our Masters.
    Meaning, there are as many Masters as there were summoned Servants...or perhaps, there may have been even more of them.

This information seems to stagger Holmes, but considering Charlemagne will still probably disappear soon, you need to get going. Luckily, you still have that golem-carriage from earlier, so you have fast transportation, and he can stay in spirit form until you get to your location.

--- Arrow 8 ---During the journey, you converse with Kadoc and Holmes. Holmes knows that Kadoc has been suspicious of him, but wonders if he's done enough to clear his name by this point. Kadoc thinks it's hard to say, but he does want to ask about Moriarty, specifically about the difference between the one here and the one Holmes knew. According to Holmes, the old Moriarty is someone who wasn't so serious about being evil. He was a sort of charismatic evil, trying to reach something greater than just good and evil. But the Moriarty here is the opposite, as a little baby who's trying his hardest to be evil. Perhaps it's his position as an Apostle of the Alien World that has affected his personality, so you move on to talk a bit about that.

Sherlock Holmes:

The Apostles so far---Rasputin, Limbo, and Senji Muramasa.
    Let's put Rasputin aside for now, since we've barely had any contact with him.
    Mister Muramasa's personality did not appear muddled despite the fact that he housed two Divine Spirits within him.
    Limbo's case is a debatable one, but we lack the information to draw a conclusion. That chaotic personality may simply be his very nature.
    As for Moriarty...there is very little discrepancy in character between the young and old one.
    Nevertheless, Kadoc's account of Moriarty's abilities paints an astounding picture.
    He invalidates every attack, correct? There are several entities touted as being invincible---
    Achilles, and Vritra of Indian mythology would fall under this category.
    The type to nullify any attack so long as certain conditions are being met.
    In which case, we should be able to pinpoint a weakness as long as we identify the Divine Spirits embedded in him.

Minerva's call implies you've arrived at your location, and so you prepare yourselves.
    Ugh cokesakto no no no

JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Cute idiot couple, I'm happy for them. Nice that Kadoc learns to believe in the Nastya that believed in him.

- - - Updated - - -

Curious about the different Masters divination though, given the whole seedling thing. Maybe it changes its mind a bunch? Or all of the humans who got treed count?
    canon finish apo vol 3