Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Adventures of Lord El-Melloi II - English Translation

Chapter 3, Part 4
    Chapter 3, Part 4:

As night fell, I heard a faint humming. It wasn’t a particularly pleasant melody. The tune was off in places, and the rhythm was sporadic, either too fast or too slow. It sounded like the warbles of a child singing whatever they wanted to.

To put it bluntly, the singer was tone deaf. Strangely enough, though, I was willing to listen to it.

“……”

I put my hand on the ladder, rubbing my sleepy eyes.

After we had conducted searches with the Observational Sphere, we had returned to the apartment prepared by the Singapore branch of the Clock Tower. It was certainly well protected against magecraft, but that made it seem old-fashioned. The mechanism that allowed us to climb to the roof was probably also an ancient design.

A dry wind brushed my face.

A beautiful view of the city at night stretched out before me. The streets of Singapore were like the starry sky turned upside down. A sea of light shimmered in both the sky and the land. I could not stand the splendor, so I closed my eyes and then slowly opened them again.

The singer sat on the roof tiles, gazing up at the stars.

Don’t be afraid of ghosts

They’ll go where the dark goes

They’ll go where the waves go

They’ll go where our song goes

They’ll sing with us

The stars are coming this way

Coming this way, to us

Come on, we are singing

We will wait for you to come

“…Ergo?” I called out.

Surprised, the young man turned with an endearing yelp.

“G-Gray?!”

Before he could fully articulate his bewilderment, Ergo’s tall figure slid from the slanted rooftop and fell into the night. Before I could catch him, he had already dropped onto a place ten or so meters from the ground.

“Ergo!”

Peering down, I saw that he was lodged in midair. It seemed that the phantasmal arms from his back had stopped him from falling all the way. It was as if he was suspended by an invisible string.

“Please don’t sneak up on me like that,” he said, covering his face.

“But-”

“…I didn’t think anyone was listening.”

Even in the darkness, I could see that his ears were bright red. I felt like he would just let himself fall if I continued this conversation, but I wasn’t good at changing the topic. I could only continue, choosing my words as best as I could.

“…It’s a nice song.”

At least, I thought that way about the song itself. Though it was the first time I had heard these lyrics, they seemed to speak to the twinkling stars of Singapore.

I suppose I had succeeded in stopping this situation from becoming even more awkward.

“Lana wrote this song for me,” muttered Ergo quietly, burying his face in his hands. He looked like a piece of laundry swaying in the wind.

“Is Lana the girl who cut your hair?”

“Yes. I was scared when I first came to that island. She thought I was afraid of ghosts,” said Ergo with a slight nod.

I had a hard time holding in a laugh as I pictured the little girl comforting him as he cowered with a blanket over his head. Before long, though, a thought began to bother me.

“So, what are you scared of?”

“There are people I don’t know inside me.”

Ergo’s reply made me gasp.

Memory saturation.

“Are they gods?”

“I don’t know. Maybe,” said Ergo in a hushed voice, still covering his face as if he would become someone else’s mask if he revealed it. “Someone is always looking at me from the inside. I feel their gaze, their touch, even when people tell me there’s no one there. I was so scared I didn’t know what to do, so I started singing to pretend they’re a ghost and laugh it off.”

“…That must be terrifying.”

My response was natural because I understood exactly what he felt like. Just like I was trapped by an ancient hero, Ergo was trapped by ancient gods. It seemed that the fears I held were very close to his. Of course, while I had only stopped growing, Ergo was about to lose his memories and personality, so his were a lot more serious than mine.

“Don’t you find it hard to live like this, Gray?” Ergo asked, looking up at me from the place where he was suspended, probably because he could sense my feelings.

“No… because my mentor is with me,” I said, revealing the tall shadow that stood in the softest part of my heart.

Back in my hometown, my mentor had said this to me:

“Do you think people can grow?”

He had no appreciation for the fact that he had gone from being one of many New Agers to one of the Lords of the Clock Tower. Not only that, he spoke of his lack of growth with words that seemed to be made of blood.

“The path we take down life’s crossroads is always determined by the smallest coincidences. If that’s the case, do we really grow? Doesn’t everyone want to remain a child and simply follow someone greater, someone born to be a king?”

“I…want to change.”

He didn’t try to advise me. He simply confessed bluntly to his problems. What a foolish speech. How selfish. How… redeeming.

It was an invitation to make mistakes together, to get hurt together, to walk alongside each other even when we knew we could lose our lives.

At the time, I thought that I could go with that.

“My mentor brought me out of my hometown. After meeting all sorts of people in London, I finally feel that I can stay there. Maybe there’s someone else inside me, but I belong there.”

“So you can, too”— I left that part unsaid.

“Have you made any friends?” After a while, Ergo’s question sounded in the night.

“…Yes. I’m not sure what she thinks of me, but she is a very important friend to me.”

The image of the golden-haired young woman appeared in my mind. Reines El-Melloi Archisorte, the person who had given my mentor the title Lord El-Melloi and the next person in line to become Lord.

“That’s why I don’t want to be left behind,” I said, hugging my shoulders.

I heard that some high-level magecraft could slow the process of aging, so others wouldn’t find it strange if I stayed the same age. Even so, I wanted to walk with the same strides as her and grow older as she did.

“It’s a good thing I became one of his students, then.” Ergo said, slowly returning to the roof at last.

“Yes.” I nodded. “To me, it's…the thing I am most proud of, more than anything else.”

“Ihihihihi! Of course you pity your own kind, even though I guess the same goes for me!”

“…Add.”

I took Add from the hook at my right shoulder and shook it up and down to release my pent-up feelings. As it emitted a series of shrieks, I heard another sound.

Ergo’s stomach was rumbling.

We met each other’s eyes and smiled.

“I can make some food in the kitchen. What do you want to eat?”

“What do I want to eat…”

For a moment, Ergo did not know what to reply.

“Could you fry an egg for me, please? If you could, I’d like it fried on both sides.”

“Alright, of course.”

I nodded and went down the ladder. Midway, I rubbed my neck with my finger a few times, and the strange chill I had felt melted away like a lie.

(…Why?) I wondered.

Though it was only for a moment, why had Ergo looked so troubled when at a loss for words just then?

Sitting at her desk in the dark, Rin stared intently at her fingertips.

She was in the apartment’s basement. The Singapore branch of the Clock Tower had offered a special lab, but this time she had refused it and chosen a regular basement instead.

The candlelight reflected in hues of red, green, and blue.

Jewels— rubies, emeralds, and sapphires, all of them large and brilliantly cut. Rin watched them carefully as she turned the knife in her hands.

The tip of the blade dug into her index finger, causing a bead of blood to swell on her skin. It eventually reached its limit and turned into a drop, which fell onto a ruby.

“Adjust your breathing.” Lord El-Melloi II said quietly from near the ventilation shaft connected to the surface.

The tip of his cigar glowed faint red, flickering in the dark room like a firefly.

“You have already experienced this countless times. Contract with the jewels. Place a portion of yourself inside them. You aren’t dripping blood onto jewels; you are dripping blood onto yourself. Imagine that your forehead catches that drop of blood. Let it seep into every neuron in your brain.”

Following his instructions, Rin became even more focused.

At the same time, the jewels began to act strangely, vibrating violently as if blood had been sucked into them. —No, it was not just blood, the jewels were also absorbing an invisible power that the ruby had passed on.

A magic circle was created, and began to activate. To be precise, it was more like spiraling. With each revolution, the power increased in speed and intensity, gradually twisting it out of shape. The jewels’ oscillation also spread, resonating like a tuning fork from the ruby to the emerald and then the sapphire.

“It’s not enough,” said Lord El-Melloi II. “Sharpen your concentration. Focus beyond the Magical Energy. Think of the jewels as Magic Circuits, as yourself. Perhaps the image of a knife suits you more. Yes, imagine those jewels are your heart. Imagine you are thrusting a knife into it.”

Rin’s concentration changed according to his advice. The power surrounding her taut figure slowly drifted into the jewels, stabilizing right before the jewels were about to burst. It was like a river returning to normal after the dam on it was broken.

Rin turned, exhaling.

“How was it, sir?”

“Perfect, except for one thing. It’s not over yet.”

He pointed to a jewel that had begun to twitch.

“—Ah!”

In the next instant, a protrusion rose from the ruby like spikes on a hedgehog. It soon died down, leaving a startled Rin and a sighing Lord.

“Are you hurt?”

“I'm not that incompetent.”

Lord El-Melloi II walked up to Rin, who coughed awkwardly. He gently turned her hand over to check for wounds. Then, he took out a monocle and examined one of the jewels in the candlelight.

“Your magecraft is very similar to Miss Luvia’s on a deeper level, though it may be by conversion because they are both types of Jewel Magecraft. If her magecraft is the flow of value, yours is closer to its accumulation,” he commented, placing the jewels in a pile and clicking his tongue.

For some reason, a dour look surfaced on his face. If Gray was here, perhaps she would sense a hint of jealousy. He quickly looked down to conceal it.

“…To be honest, I thought around three sets would be wasted.”

“In that case, I’ll keep the rest,” Rin said, brightening.

“May I offer them at a discount? I paid for them with my own money.”

“Alright then, I don’t want my teacher to lose face. Deal. I’m such a gracious, talented student, don’t you think?”

She chuckled, deftly put the jewels into a leather bag, and tied them with a string as if she never planned on returning them.

“But Professor, when did you start thinking about this formula? You didn’t invent it just to counter Latio, right? The advice you gave me also fits too well with the nature of my magecraft and Magic Circuits. Do you always think about such things? It’s annoying.”

“I myself am only ordinary. I cannot help but look at others and wonder what they can achieve. So it’s only natural that I wonder how you can best utilize your terrifying talent as an Average One, isn’t it?” Lord El-Melloi II said in response, frowning.

“I was only joking.”

“I would rather you be honest. If I had even a tenth of your talent, I wouldn’t be a Lord.”

He put his cigar into an ashtray as if he no longer wished to continue. He walked a few steps from Rin and lit an alcohol lamp to boil water in a beaker.

Rin stared in wonder as he took out an old-looking tea set.

“A Chinese tea set?”

He cast the first pot of hot water away. Then, he added tea and more water and gently placed the lid on top.

“You know how to brew tea? Chinese-style tea, no less.”

“Making tea in a gaiwan can be difficult, but anyone can use a
    cháhú
    teapot
    . Besides, I came to Singapore before when I was traveling the world, and I had to do everything myself.”

“I suppose since your apprentice has been spoiling you so often, you forgot you knew?”

In response, he only offered his student some tea.

“Hmm, nice,” Rin remarked after taking a sip.

“It’s important to relax after concentrating on magecraft. Tea is a necessity for mages in all sorts of ways.”

“Boiling water with an alcohol lamp and a beaker. How practical.”

Rin tittered. Though they were laboratory equipment, they showed that magecraft and science had the same origin. Later, the mages of the Clock Tower had begun to reject science, but common items still remained in unexpected places.

Lord El-Melloi II drank his tea while remaining standing.

“How nostalgic… but is it really alright?” He pondered.

Though he didn’t specify what he was talking about, Rin understood him completely. She grabbed his tie and pulled on it until their eyes were on the same level.

“I understand you don’t want to involve the students of the El-Melloi classroom in your personal conflicts. But I’ll kill you if you dare exclude me from this.”

Her gaze made it clear that she was not joking this time.

The mage shrugged as if he was giving in.

“It was you who found Ergo, after all.”

“You’re also responsible. Didn’t you say that you refuse to sell out your students? That applies to me as well.”

“I understand your reasoning. I just want to ask you again if that’s all.”

Rin blinked a couple of times as she observed Lord El-Melloi II adjust his tie.

“So you’ve seen through it all, Professor. —Hm, yes, I’m very excited,” she said, standing proudly. “This is what an adventure feels like, isn’t it? I haven’t felt this way for ages. I don’t get to give my all to fight an unknown enemy every day. How can you give up these chances left and right and still call yourself a mage?”

“We mages should always aim for the Root.” Lord El-Melloi II said suddenly.

“I don’t know if I’ll ever reach the Root,” Rin continued. “We all know that we won’t reach it in this generation.”

“Even though we know, we’ll continue to labor and pass it to the next generation. That is the cycle that binds us.”

“Then it’s not just my time that is being lost here,” continued Rin. “It’s the time of all the mages of the past, present, and future. As you say, Professor, it’s our ‘whydunit’. After accumulating so much, how could we betray our purpose?”

Whydunit— the term for the culprit’s motive in mystery novels.

Lord El-Melloi II nodded slightly.

“Good, if you are aware of that reason and think that this is the right time, I have no reason to stop you. …Why are so many of the women around me hardcore fighters, though?”

“Don’t you know that all women are fighters?”

Rin gave Lord El-Melloi II a rare smile, which was charming and challenging at the same time.

In any case, the Lord took another sip of tea before he spoke again.

“I have something else to ask of you, pirate consultant.”

His student’s face was reflected in his eyes. This time, they were not a student and a teacher, but a pirate and a mage.

It did not take long for the pirate to reach a conclusion.

“I think that proposal works, but first, I have a question.”

“What?”

“There’s something funny about Gray’s power, isn’t there?”

She had carefully weighed the abilities of Lord El-Melloi II’s disciple after their fight on the pirate island.

“I don’t think she excels in magecraft, but the accuracy of her enhancement magecraft is extraordinary. That Mystic Code with a personality model can’t have been made recently. And most importantly… her face is why you haven’t let us meet until now, right?”

“……”

For a while, Lord El-Melloi II did not reply.

“Did you see her during the Fifth Holy Grail War?”

“Yes.” Rin nodded.

Both student and teacher had participated in the magecraft ritual where seven mages fought another with seven Heroic Spirits as their familiars.

“Servant Saber— King Arthur. Gray has the same face as her. But you already know that, Professor.”

“Most people don’t bring it up. Just think of Gray as a distant descendant.”

“Do you plan on using that excuse to explain how she has stopped growing?”

“……”

Lord El-Melloi II frowned as if he was surprised that Rin knew so much.

Gray’s body had stopped changing after a point in time. She also had the same face as King Arthur. Even in the World of Magecraft, these two facts were hard to ignore.

“If her face was famous in the Clock Tower, he would surely notice. So thank you for that, I suppose,” she muttered, pocketing the pouch she had just put the jewels into. “She doesn’t look like she wants to talk about it, so I won’t. I just feel like Ergo and Gray are kind of alike.”

“Like siblings?”

“I guess. I can’t explain it well either, maybe like the two sides of a coin? No, not quite. Perhaps something more one-sided, like jewels and money?”

Rin frowned, a little confused.

“…Maybe they’re like a sheep and a wolf.”

“Huh?”

“No, nothing. Thank you for the advice. I’ll be careful.”

Wiping his monocle with a cloth, Lord El-Melloi II left the basement.
    —————————————————————————————————————————————————— ——
    Last edited by azwhoisverybored; January 5th, 2023 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Edits

Thank you very much for translating and posting.

Chapter 3, Part 5
    Chapter 3, Part 5:

The sky was shockingly blue the next day.

Only a tiny patch of clouds floated in it, so the sun was free to flood the land with light.

I could feel the glare even with my hood on. The weather was also incredibly humid, and I would have been drenched in sweat if my enhancement did not cover my nervous system. Despite this, I could see plenty of women with stoles because air conditioning in Singapore was surprisingly common.

At least the sea breeze felt good.

We were at the deepest part of the Port of Singapore, which lay between the islands of Brani and Sentosa. In terms of the volume of cargo it handled, it was on par with Hong Kong and Shanghai as one of the world’s top ports.

Trailers came back and forth between piles of containers as we waited by a warehouse a short distance away. Despite the prevalence of automation, this one remained full of rust.

My mentor ducked into the building's shadow.

“Are you alright, Sir?”

“I’m fine, just a little dizzy.”

There were faint dark circles under his eyes.

It was only natural that the weather was a strain on my mentor. Unfortunately, his skills did not allow him to avoid the heat. But the apartment building’s air conditioning had been adjusted to a comfortable temperature, so it couldn’t be the reason behind his lack of sleep.

He had probably been up thinking for the entire night.

I knew that while my mentor could be decisive at times, he was susceptible to stress as a rule. His only method of dealing with it was thinking through it completely, again and again, even if he couldn't find his ideal solution.

Since his opponent this time was a mysterious alchemist of the Atlas Institute in a foreign land instead of a mage of the Clock Tower, his troubles were multiplied.

(…The alchemy of the Atlas Institute…)

Simply thinking about it sent shivers down my spine.

Though her Exoforms, magecraft that used bones, were terrifying, her true threat lay in what was essentially precognition through Thought Acceleration and Partition. We had been soundly defeated on the pirate island because she could predict the next few seconds of the future.

If we were to face the alchemist again…

“…Gray.”

A voice reached my ears.

“It’s alright.”

Though my mentor was still unsteady on his feet, he was already trying to comfort me.

The same thought had probably occurred to Rin, who was looking at him with a wry expression.

“I feel like you should work on your physical strength, Professor.”

“Thank you for your advice. I do train regularly. …How about you, Ergo? How do you feel?”

“I-I’m fine,” Ergo said, swallowing.

“Hey! Ergo!”

A tanned-skinned girl suddenly appeared from behind the container boxes, laughed, and lunged toward the young man.

“Lana!”

It was the girl who had cut his hair for him on the pirate island. She hugged Ergo tight with her forehead against his abdomen and then looked up at him.

“Rin told me to come here! I’m the representative, everyone else is waiting by the ocean!”

“Did everything go well?” Rin asked upon hearing that.

“Yep, it was perfect, since you’ve always told us to build the farms somewhere else,” Lana said with a grin, showing her white teeth.

I couldn’t help but feel a little sad. Looking at her, it was hard to believe that the island she had lived on had been destroyed a few days ago. Perhaps this was a quality unique to pirates.

“You asked for my help as the Consultant. Is this what you want?” Rin asked, turning to my mentor.

“Oh, yes.”

“Is this the joint operation you were talking about, Sir?”

I had heard the gist of it back in the apartment, but the details were still being worked out. We knew where the alchemist of the Atlas Institute was hiding, our next goal was to capture her.

“The operation is extremely simple. We will lay siege to her position. Since the pirates are more familiar with the terrain, I will give instructions under their lead. But it will be dangerous for the pirates who adore Rin…”

“You feel justified scamming people, and not this?”

“…Is that a problem?” He replied a little awkwardly, probably because he was also aware of the contradiction.

“No. I appreciate your concern, My Lord.” Rin smiled and bowed.

“What do you think, Lana?”

“Are you trying to pick a fight with Rin and Ergo?” The girl challenged, sniffling. “If you are, we’ll have to fight you! Rin and Ergo are our friends! We have a right to hit back when people target them, even if little kids who don’t understand anything aren’t allowed to join the fight!”

As she spoke, she struck her cute little fist onto her chest.

My mentor held her gaze for a while before turning to his student.

“…Rin, what did you teach them?”

“I taught them how to survive, of course.” Rin proclaimed proudly, causing my mentor to put a hand on the area around his stomach.

If Reines was here, she would probably tell him 'She’s not wrong, you know? So you’d better endure the pain.' She understood better than anyone that, at certain times, you have to fight regardless of your age, or any other reason. It was not a question of right or wrong. If you don’t fight, you don’t survive.

The simple idea that one could not let one's friends be hurt even if it defied all logic was necessary in this world. It was a world that I was sure I did not know, having only been to a few places outside my hometown and London.

“—Ergo,” My mentor turned back to the young man. “You are what our opponent is after. Do you mind being used as bait?”

“No.” Replied Ergo immediately.

“Are you sure? I don’t want to force you to do anything, but since I am your guardian, my suggestions will inevitably be hard to reject. Forcing you to accept will only cause you to hesitate in critical moments, which could lead to death. I want to hear your true thoughts.”

“I can’t say I’m not afraid,” confessed Ergo. “But I think I must understand myself. I must fight this battle so this self with only a month of memory can continue living.”

His words penetrated my heart.

He wanted to understand himself.

What better
    whydunit
    motive
    could there be? Even for someone who had not been devoured by gods like Ergo, or held in place by an ancient hero like me.

“…One of the three mages that created you?” My mentor muttered to himself. Then: “I see. Forgive me for doubting your resolve.”

After apologizing, my mentor took out a cigar. The sea breeze immediately dissipated the smoke.

The smell of the brine and cigar smoke curled around my mentor's fleeting silhouette, and for a moment, I was strangely afraid that he was going to be swallowed up by the sea.

“That hawk also bothers me,” he said, narrowing his eyes and taking the cigar away from his mouth. Then, he took a breath.

“One thing at a time, starting with what I can reach. Right now, we shall launch a preemptive strike against Latio Crudelis Hiram, alchemist of the Atlas Institute,” he announced resolutely, gazing into the vast blue sea.

Thank you for the translation!

Thank you for the hard work! It is much appreciated!

Thank you for your hard work! I'm a bit confused about this section, though:

Spoiler:
    “I can’t say I’m not afraid,” confessed Ergo. “But I think I must understand myself. I must fight this battle so this self with only a month of memory can continue living.”

His words penetrated my heart.

He wanted to understand himself.

What better
    whydunit
    motive
    could there be? Even for someone who had not been devoured by gods like Ergo, or held in place by an ancient hero like me.

“…One of the three mages that created you?” My mentor muttered to himself. Then: “I see. Forgive me for doubting your resolve.”

Is there a line of dialogue from Ergo missing here? Or does Waver say that without any context?

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    No skipped lines. It's exactly how it is in Az's version. By "One of the three mages that created you", Waver means Latio is only the first out of three enemies. He's acknowledge that Ergo is aware of how much more he'll have to go through to understand himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    No skipped lines. It's exactly how it is in Az's version. By "One of the three mages that created you", Waver means Latio is only the first out of three enemies. He's acknowledge that Ergo is aware of how much more he'll have to go through to understand himself.
    Thanks for explaining. I hadn't noticed he meant that.

Chapter 4, Part 1

Chapter 4, Part 1:

Rin’s companions prepared seven medium-sized motorboats.

My mentor, Ergo, and I were on the boat that Rin piloted, while the pirates took the other six.

Most of the pirate crew looked around the same age as Ergo, around eighteen. Their faces glowed with bravery as they boarded their small boats, which bobbed around in the sea foam.

(Miss Rin’s pirates...)

Her expression was also full of pride. Regardless of how long Rin had trained them, they had evidently picked up on “how to survive". It was also easy to see the trust they placed in her.

“This is Alpha-1. All clear on the perimeter.”

“Bravo-1. All clear over here as well.”

Voices periodically sounded from the radio we had prepared. If I remember correctly, Alpha and Bravo are part of a phonetic code used to prevent mishearing. I heard them often in the war films that Flat loved, though I had never expected pirates to use them, too.

After listening to their reports for a while with her arms folded, she pressed a button on the radio.

“Alright. We’ll stick with the original plan. If anything goes wrong, run as fast as you can. I cannot stress that enough.”

“Understood! Aye aye, ma’am!”

Possibly because we were heading away from Singapore and into the Strait of Malacca, there were only a few boats around us. I had been afraid that the patrols would discover us when we left the harbor. Now that we were so far out to sea, I was starting to miss being on land.

My mentor unfolded a map behind me.

“Luxcarta’s search revealed two of Latio’s strongholds.”

As he spoke, his slender fingers moved across the map, careful to keep it from blowing away in the breeze.

“One of the places is Sentosa, which we have already searched.”

That was the site we were just at. Though there were remnants of Latio’s hiding place, it seemed that she had long since moved out. After discovering that, we rushed out to sea immediately toward the other location.

“The coordinates we're heading towards are in the middle of the sea. There are signs that some kind of operation has been taking place there for some time.”

Rin turned suddenly as my mentor pointed to the new location.

“What’s wrong, Rin? Please look forward when you're driving.”

“Oh, why didn’t I notice?” Rin exclaimed, staring unblinkingly at the spot as if she were trying to burn a hole in the map with her eyes.

“What do you mean?”

“I know this place. I’ve investigated it many times.”

“You’ve investigated it?” My mentor frowned.

At exactly that moment, static appeared on the line.

“There’s…fog…” a muffled voice said.

In an instant, a fog as thick as cream had enveloped us. It obstructed my vision, turning the world into a swath of fuzzy, milky white.

“I guess the concealment magecraft I put on the motorboats to hide us from the harbor patrol was entirely unnecessary,” Rin said, a hint of nervousness creeping into her voice.

“Do you think this fog is natural?”

“Of course not.”

Rin shook her head. Her eyes seemed to say that she had accepted the challenge. In the Clock Tower, or perhaps before she came, she was always determined to make her enemies pay.

“—Lord El-Melloi II.” A voice came from somewhere in the mist. It was the same inhuman voice that had first spoken to us on the pirate island.

My mentor gave a slight sigh.

“I see you’ve remembered to add the ‘II’.”

“Are you here to hand us Ergo?” The voice asked, cutting straight to the point. In this case, it was a sort of threat.

“Surely you have already calculated the result, Alchemist of the Atlas Institute.”

“Very well.”

With that, a fuzzy shadow emerged from the mist.

…At first, we were mistaken about its size. I had thought that it was the bone giant, or perhaps a ship made of bone familiars. Though I knew little about Latio beyond her use of bones, she had confessed to not bringing any weapons out of the Atlas Institute.

For that reason, I thought there was a limit to the shadow’s size. Soon, though, it grew to become far larger than I anticipated.

“Whoa…”

I couldn’t help but marvel at its majesty.

It was a ship over a hundred meters long, covered in shells and rotting seaweed. The great masts used to guide it forward were fractured. Though it was easy to imagine its former resplendence, it now seemed like an ill omen.

The phrase “ghost ship” fit it well, even though it was not a Western ship. Its design and shape told at a glance that it hailed from a different ancient civilization. Somehow, whether through design or Mystery, the ship’s builders managed to evoke the same imposing effect as modern ships.

I saw Rin’s throat tremble.

“It can’t be… Zheng He’s ship?!”

I found this name familiar. Wasn’t it the ship that Rin was searching for?

She had only come to Singapore upon hearing about the shipwreck of one of the ships in the nearly country-sized fleet of the seafaring hero Zheng He.

The ship’s hull was encased in something that looked like streaks of white lightning. I immediately realized that it was bone. The same substance that made up the familiars we had fought on the island was now repairing this timeworn ship on the brink of collapse. —No, it must be more than that. No ship like this could sail without a crew.

“It could not be completed in time for our encounter on this island. Rather, it was not necessary in the original plan,” said Latio. “It was only prepared in consideration of the possibility that Ergo could enter Phase 2. Though, of course, Latio wishes that would not happen, it is better to be safe.”

Had her bone alchemy brought the ancient ship into the modern era? It seemed almost mythical, as if she had rescued someone from the crossing into the underworld.

The pirates nearby appeared tense. Who would have imagined that modern pirates would confront a ship from the Middle Ages? Although they must have studied the fundamentals of countering magecraft, they could not have foreseen such an enemy.

“You- you thief!”

The next moment, an impassioned voice rang out in the fog, loud enough to be heard without the radios. Everyone turned to its source, which was naturally the pirate consultant, Rin Tohsaka.

“That’s mine! I spotted it first! Why else do you think I came all the way to Singapore and worked so hard, you thief of an alchemist!”

For a moment, the entire patch of sea was stunned into silence.

For some reason, I felt like the trust between Rin and the pirates had weakened a little. Just a little.

“Um, Miss Tohsaka…”

Just as my mentor was about to interject—

“—Fire.”

The cold command triggered exactly the attack that it suggested. Several rockets were blasted toward us from the ship.

“Rockets!?” Rin cried, eyes widening.

Since gunpowder had already been used in Chinese warfare in Zheng He’s time, perhaps those rockets had also been restored by Latio.

“Duck!”

The pirates responded to Rin’s command even though the situation could have easily frozen them in shock. When the rocket exploded in midair, they had already maneuvered their boats to safety. They also pulled out their own weapons from their hiding places on the boats, including a rocket that tore through the smoke and slammed into the ship.

The impact and the explosion didn’t make the ship tilt at all. With my enhanced vision, I could see that it hadn’t made a scratch.

(Is it the same material as the giant…?!)

Not even Add’s battering ram form could harm the giant. Though the ship’s casing might not be as strong, its protection made all of the pirates’ weapons useless.

“Run!” Rin shouted through the radio.

At the same time, I took up a position on the side of the boat and removed the hook at my right shoulder.

“Add, release first stage restrictions!”

“Ihihihihi! That’s a big one! It's so big that it's pointless! It’s the biggest thing we’ve fought yet, isn’t it?”

The box in my hands changed into a scythe as it chattered, allowing me to cut away the rockets aimed at us. Ergo used his phantasmal arms to protect my blind spots.

“To your left, Gray!”

“Thank you!”

Seven rockets came charging toward us in a chain. Though I could only repel the ones aimed at our boat, Ergo’s arms extended to protect the pirates’ boats. Still, we could not catch everything. One of the rockets exploded after it brushed past our boat, sending us tossing.

“Miss Rin!”

“Oh god…”

Rin only barely managed to regain control of the boat. She clenched the steering wheel as her face grew red. However, instead of calming down, the boat began to shudder erratically, and the treasure ship began to approach.

“Miss Rin!?”

“T-the steering wheel…” Rin stammered, looking baffled at the steering wheel that had popped off its column. No matter how you looked at it, it wasn't a good idea to be removing that of all parts. Her incredulous expression made the disastrous nature of our situation even clearer.

“B-but I didn’t do anything! It just came off!”

“Don't worry, just let me drive!”

Forcefully, my mentor cranked the lever just as several rockets darted into the sea behind us. The shockwaves from them alone blew us away and launched us across massive waves.

Amidst a salvo of sea spray and wind, my mentor forced the steering wheel back onto its column and turn it all the way to the right.

“Do you know how to drive a motorboat, Professor?”

“I drove one when I was traveling around Greece! The rest I learned while playing simulation games with a newcomer to the Department of Law! —That aside, what’s with the acceleration? What did you do to this boat?!”

“I only altered it a little to prepare for a naval battle! I used the fire element to enhance the engine and wind to provide physical barriers on all the boats!”

“Thoughtful of you!” My mentor shot back while driving the boat.

Just as he said, he was not experienced. It took Ergo’s phantasmal arms to stop the boat from capsizing as he made haphazard turns.

(—No—)!

Just as I felt that we had reached the tipping point, I heard Lana’s voice.

“Miss Rin!”

One of the boats in the pirate fleet came alongside us just as we were about to topple. It supported us as if it were scooping us up.

One wrong move, and the two ships would have collided, dooming us all. But the helmsman’s outstanding skill at adjusting the boat’s speed ensured that just the right portion of the boats overlapped. I could not believe that it was the work of Lana until I saw her with my own eyes.

“Oh, thank you, Lana!”

“You’ll have to buy me a parfait on the mainland when we get back!”

With an exaggerated wave, Lana’s boat pulled away.

The rain of rockets had not ceased. Though the physical wards Rin mentioned appeared to block some of them, it would not last long.

At some point, the treasure ship had made its way straight ahead of us, allowing more rockets than ever to reach us.

“Latio will not fight you. Latio will crush you unilaterally.”

(--Were we lured in?!)

With her Thought Partition and Acceleration, it was probably easy for Latio to drive us into a corner, especially since our boat kept losing speed from trying to stay upright.

“So we’ve still come to this,” said my mentor, letting out a bitter sigh. “Gray, use your lance.”

“But…”

Since we were already ensnared, our opponents had likely predicted our next move. In other words, she was probably already thinking about countermeasures. Wouldn’t activating the lance lead to a decisive defeat?

“No, rather, it’s quite convenient for us. I didn’t expect a ghost ship to appear, but what else can we do? Right now, I think we have a chance,” my mentor said, shaking his head.

Finally, I made up my mind.

“Understood. Ergo, can you intercept the attacks for a moment?”

I raised my head and looked squarely at the ship. Regardless of what happened next, I would not lose to the ghost ship in spirit.

I adjusted my breathing, concentrated, and began.

Darken
    Gray
    Celebrate
    Rave
    …”

The incantation flowed naturally from me, simultaneously acting as self-suggestion supported by a steady rhythm.

“…
    Want
    Crave
    Corrupt
    Deprave
    …”

My focus gradually built, and my sense of self gave way to the words on my lips.

Ingraved in me
    Grave…me…

I paid no attention to the rockets being fired at the boat. The only thing I was aware of was the treasure I was gifted as a grave keeper of Blackmore Graveyard. The steps to unlock it had seeped into every cell of my being.

A grave for you
    Grave…for you…

Dissipate, O ancient mystery.

O sweet enigma, return to nothingness.

“Pseudo-personality suspended. Mana yield exceeds regulation. Second stage restraint rescinded.”

Add’s carefree voice turned into— or perhaps, returned to being robotic. The scythe that devoured spirits turned back into a box, and then back into its original form, which Add had only been created to hide. I was also but one of the locks that kept this lance sealed.

Latio watched from the deck as light swelled above the waves.

“They really have an extraordinary Noble Phantasm like that…”

“That looks like trouble, Lady Latio!” Warned Tangere.

Even the voice of the familiar made by the Atlas Institute was laced with something akin to fear. That was just how the light was.

“Latio knows.”

The bracelet on the blue-haired woman’s hand clanged.

A change took place.

Some of the bones covering the ship’s hull grew in size. I realized immediately that it was meant to increase the ship’s defense.

I didn’t care.

What did that matter now?

Though my body became simply a mechanism to activate the lance, I heard one of my companions mutter something.

"...It's exactly like her
    Sword of Promised Victory
    Excalibur
    ..."

Ah, Rin must have seen it.

King Arthur’s Excalibur was one of the world’s most famous Noble Phantasms, but it was only one of her many treasures.

In my hands, I held another of them, the holy lance that had impaled the traitor Mordred and struck the last note of King Arthur’s legend.

Without fear or hesitation, I grasped the light that poured from the box.

The Lance that Shines
    —Rhongo—

Magical Energy that was enough to wipe a small island from the map formed a spiral around my arm. It had become more familiar to me over the years.

I hurled it forward as I announced its true name.

to the End of the World
    —myniad—
    !”
    Last edited by azwhoisverybored; February 6th, 2023 at 01:59 AM. Reason: Edited: frog -> fog (yikes)

Thanks for the translation. Rin was way too funny in this chapter. Also, I could believe missiles in a ship from the age of gods, but one from the middle ages?

“Do you think this frog is natural?”
    I think you'll find most frogs are

That aside, I love how ridiculous the stakes are here. It's just escalation after escalation with this series, lol.

Thanks for the translation AZ!

Chapter 4, Part 2
    Chapter 4, Part 2:

A hurricane of dazzling light enveloped the world, whipping up a storm like a dragon in flight.

Its power could have made someone think that the sun had appeared in this patch of sea. Shining with harsh, miraculous light, Magical Energy accelerated relentlessly, turning into destructive particles that obliterated everything it touched. If not for the alchemist’s dense fog, the light would have been visible from the mainland.

I saw Latio freeze for a tenth of a second as the light subsided, for Zheng He’s ship had been torn in half. The lance’s radiance vaporized everything that it touched from the hull to the deck. What remained was red-hot and smoldering. I doubted that even a meteorite would be able to do so much damage.

“Was that your trump card?” Muttered Latio, but then quickly denied it and looked toward the front of the deck. “No, did you really use your trump card to escape?”

I heard another voice from the treasure ship.

“Gray, are you alright?”

“W-what?”

I nodded, stood up, and realized that I was on the treasure ship’s deck. Ergo’s phantasmal arms had pulled me here after I activated the lance.

The pieces of bone littering the waves looked like the surface of an alien planet, or like the intestines of some decaying animal adrift there. I could feel it throbbing through the soles of my feet.

“I never thought I would… ever board a ghost ship,” my mentor gasped. I thought the same.

I quietly walked over to him. He was not on his feet, probably because he had overexerted himself earlier.

Add was back in scythe form. In the past, activating Rhongomyniad would have made it listless for half a day. Now, I could continue fighting to protect my mentor.

“Latio’s calculation is complete,” announced the blue-haired woman. “Latio predicted the speed that Rhongomyniad diminished, measured its position, and gave up on the center in favor of protecting the sides. …Even so, only the bare minimum of its sailing ability was retained.”

To tell the truth, I had activated the lance with the intention of obliterating it, but Zheng He’s treasure ship held. Was that because of its design, Latio’s Alchemy, or both?

Seeing that the attack would not destroy the ship, my mentor gave the signal for Ergo to pull us onto it.

“But if we fire that Noble Phantasm, we can devour them through sheer volume.”

Latio raised her bangled arm.

As if she had waved a conductor’s baton, a wave of bone familiars sprung up around us in the shapes of spiders, wolves, and even bats.

“Your defeat has been determined from the moment you set foot on this ship.”

More and more familiars emerged.

As I predicted earlier, this ship was proportional to the inside of Latio’s body, so she must have thought that she could dispose of us any way she wanted. Since Rhongomyniad hadn’t been able to destroy the ship, she concluded that her victory was guaranteed.

That was the result of her “precognition”, achieved through Thought Acceleration and Partition.

“Hahaha, you were close to wrecking the boat, though!” Said the bone giant, the alchemist’s companion, appearing in front of her.

One of its empty eye sockets closed, and then opened again. Maybe it was trying to wink.

“Let Latio say it again, Lord El-Melloi II. Hand us Ergo. The Atlas Institute does not wish to interfere further with the Clock Tower.”

Latio’s emotionless voice echoed across the deck.

Though it was a little dispassionate to be one, I supposed it was a declaration of victory, for it rammed into our core with no room for argument.

Just as I was tempted to curl up on the ground and admit defeat, someone beside me stood up.

“Ergo?”

“I brought these people here,” said the young man, bravely raising his head and extending his translucent arms. “I can’t back down here.”

“Your bravery is commendable, God Devourer.”

Tangere’s arm swung back and forth.

The fight on the pirate island had only lasted five minutes. It was enough for Latio to predict our movements. Worse, we were surrounded on all sides. The very ship we stood on was our enemy.

My mentor spoke up before the tightening circle of familiars could reach us.

“Stop, Ergo.”

“But, Professor—”

Turning around, Ergo saw a faint smile on my mentor’s face.

“It is our victory.”

“Huh?”

Things were happening so fast there was hardly time to be surprised.

“—Aha!”

Rin leaped down from her hiding place on the mast. She lashed out suddenly with the gem in her hand, but Tangere dodged it with an agility that didn’t suit his massive size.

“Too bad!”

Rin’s lips curved in a smile at the sound of Tangere’s playful voice. Unconcerned, she began to recite a new spell.

Prepare, nineteenth, eighteenth, seventeenth, sixteenth, fifteenth
    Vorbereitung, neunzehn, achtzehn, siebzehn, sechzehn, fünfzehn
    —”

A wave of Magical Energy surged onto the deck from the gem. At the same time, something invisible breached the ship’s hull.

“Tangere! Expand the Logical Sensing Net and Ether acquisition range by a hundred times each!” Shouted Latio, sensing Rin’s intention.

“Miss Latio, this is—” The bone giant responded immediately.

“I expected you to realize faster, alchemist of the Atlas Institute. I had our pirates who escaped earlier hold the gemstone that would serve as a catalyst.”

I saw that the pirates who had fled on Rin’s orders each held a gemstone. If you looked from the air, you would have noticed that their trajectories formed a pentagram.

“In return for your teaching me about Thought Acceleration and Partition, let me show you the Clock Tower’s magecraft! We send commands to the Magecraft Base engraved in the world to activate spells. After that, the larger the magic circle that contacts the Magecraft Base, the more layers of magecraft can be woven in--!”

I felt the Magic Crest on Rin’s left arm activate. With it at its center, the enormous magic circle began to converge toward Zheng He’s ship.

The key is numbers. The key is waves. The key is the five colors
    Der Schlüssel sind Zahlen. Der Schlüssel ist die Welle. Der Schlüssel sind die fünf Farben
    .”

“Stop her, Tangere!”

“Gray, Ergo, provide backup!”

Latio and my mentor shouted instructions at the same time. Ergo’s phantasmal arms and my scythes caught Tangere’s fists right above Rin as she chanted the final lines.

O, five elements, turn gold into lead, turn the chicken into an egg. Turn, turn, turn, turn, turn into a circle, reverse
    Die fünf Elemente. Aus Gold wird Blei. Hühner in Eier verwandeln. Drehen, drehen, drehen, drehen, drehen Sie den Kreis rückwärts
    !”

I briefly wondered if the spell was complete. No fire or ice suddenly appeared. Instead, Tangere and the bone familiars suddenly stopped moving. Even the writhing boat stopped moving, evidence of a fatal malfunction.

“No, how could this…” muttered Latio.

“Hacking,” replied in a low voice. “All things rooted in mystery are powered by magecraft. The Atlas Institute’s alchemy is no exception; in fact, your Exoforms are a perfect example. Its mystery is inside your body, so it can come into being without a Magecraft Base. In that case, I guessed that the parts outside your body should be more susceptible to outside interference.”

“Even so, you cannot just interfere with Latio’s Exoforms. That would be like guessing a several dozen-digit password by randomly pressing numbers.”

“That is correct. Types of magecraft have their own wavelengths and formulas. You can’t interfere with other people’s spells if they don’t mesh, though it isn’t a problem if you’re dealing with an inexperienced opponent. However, one of my students happens to be extremely talented at this. He knows certain tricks. In other words, it is possible to interfere once you identify the wavelength and formula of the magecraft.”

(Wavelengths and formulas…!)

Hearing those words, I came to a realization.

—“As you may have guessed, it is a Mystic Code that checks the wavelength and waveform of magecraft.”

Observation Sphere Luxcarta.

Had my mentor committed fraud not only to find Latio, but also to play this move?

“On top of that, Miss Tohsaka is an Average One with five elemental affinities. It is difficult to choose spells that suit this talent, as she is suited to basically every type of magecraft besides vexing ones with ether or no attribute. On the other hand, she is capable of interfering with almost any magecraft in existence.”

“That doesn’t sound much like a compliment, Professor,” complained Rin, frowning.

So my mentor and Rin had planned this from the very beginning. Even if just for a moment, our opponent had let down her guard after withstanding Rhongomyniad.

“The Atlas Institute’s Thought Acceleration and Partition are indeed frightening. If done perfectly, it is tantamount to Predictive Precognition. Though it can only predict a few seconds into the future, it can neutralize all our attacks in a battle, as demonstrated when you weren’t hit by Rhongomyniad,” my mentor muttered. “If you were truly perfect, you would have put a stop to our hacking before we began. But your processing power was occupied with
    devouring
    blocking
    the lance.”

He had deliberately chosen to unleash Rhongomyniad then to allow Rin to sneak in from the alchemist’s blind spot.

“Do you mean to say that Latio’s magecraft has been dissected?”

My mentor frowned as he eyed Latio, who was kneeling on the ground possibly because the interference had also affected her body.

“I’m told that I’m known by that alias, though I don’t like it much.”

At the same time, I knew that this was a terrible gamble, because my mentor’s hands were trembling slightly. I didn’t dare think about what would have happened if the lance hadn’t disrupted the alchemist’s calculations, or if Rin hadn’t successfully interfered.

My mentor hated to involve others in his battles. How much determination, how many hours of deliberation had it taken for him to take this risk?

“I have a question,” he said, not showing his apprehension. “What on earth did you do to Ergo?”

“…Did you not unravel his secrets already, Lord?”

As my mentor had already revealed on the pirate island, Ergo had devoured gods.

“That was just the illusion of a theory built up on guesses. I may have captured a shred of its essence, but it is far from reality. It is not a sufficient answer for my students. …One day, Ergo will reach memory saturation. How can we prevent that?”

“……”

She was quiet briefly in a different manner from before.

“Lord El-Melloi II. You said that you will protect Ergo because he is your student. Latio does not understand. Must teachers go so far for their students?”

I never expected my mentor, who was considering quitting his job, would be asked a question like this.

This time, my mentor was at a loss for words.

“I…”

He put his fingers to his brow and spoke as if he were trying to spit out uneven stones.

“I just want to be someone I can accept. I want to at least be quietly proud of myself for once in this life full of regrets. That is the sort of trivial pride I want to cling to as a teacher, alchemist.”

I didn’t know if those words meant anything to her. Perhaps she had already predicted my mentor’s answer with her Thought Acceleration and Partition. Even though they spoke in the same language, there was such a difference in processing ability that they must have radically different ways of existing.

To my surprise, Latio spoke again with her head hung after a few seconds.

“To stop Ergo from reaching memory saturation, you will have to return the gods.”

“Return them…?”

“The gods that Ergo devoured have all arisen naturally. The ones that made him devour the gods never considered this, but it is theoretically possible to return the gods to their natural state. Latio has no help to provide regarding the techniques or people required to do so.”

“Latio, no, Miss Latio…”

Ergo’s eyes were wide.

Briefly, it seemed as if an ill-fitting blanket of calmness had floated onto the ship. It filled my heart though we had been fighting a moment ago.

—It didn’t last long.

“…Hey, hey, you’re giving too much away,” came the voice of judgment, descending from the sky. “You’re violating our agreement, Crudelis.”

Quote Originally Posted by azwhoisverybored View Post
    Chapter 4, Part 2
    Chapter 4, Part 2:

A hurricane of dazzling light enveloped the world, whipping up a storm like a dragon in flight.

Its power could have made someone think that the sun had appeared in this patch of sea. Shining with harsh, miraculous light, Magical Energy accelerated relentlessly, turning into destructive particles that obliterated everything it touched. If not for the alchemist’s dense fog, the light would have been visible from the mainland.

I saw Latio freeze for a tenth of a second as the light subsided, for Zheng He’s ship had been torn in half. The lance’s radiance vaporized everything that it touched from the hull to the deck. What remained was red-hot and smoldering. I doubted that even a meteorite would be able to do so much damage.

“Was that your trump card?” Muttered Latio, but then quickly denied it and looked toward the front of the deck. “No, did you really use your trump card to escape?”

I heard another voice from the treasure ship.

“Gray, are you alright?”

“W-what?”

I nodded, stood up, and realized that I was on the treasure ship’s deck. Ergo’s phantasmal arms had pulled me here after I activated the lance.

The pieces of bone littering the waves looked like the surface of an alien planet, or like the intestines of some decaying animal adrift there. I could feel it throbbing through the soles of my feet.

“I never thought I would… ever board a ghost ship,” my mentor gasped. I thought the same.

I quietly walked over to him. He was not on his feet, probably because he had overexerted himself earlier.

Add was back in scythe form. In the past, activating Rhongomyniad would have made it listless for half a day. Now, I could continue fighting to protect my mentor.

“Latio’s calculation is complete,” announced the blue-haired woman. “Latio predicted the speed that Rhongomyniad diminished, measured its position, and gave up on the center in favor of protecting the sides. …Even so, only the bare minimum of its sailing ability was retained.”

To tell the truth, I had activated the lance with the intention of obliterating it, but Zheng He’s treasure ship held. Was that because of its design, Latio’s Alchemy, or both?

Seeing that the attack would not destroy the ship, my mentor gave the signal for Ergo to pull us onto it.

“But if we fire that Noble Phantasm, we can devour them through sheer volume.”

Latio raised her bangled arm.

As if she had waved a conductor’s baton, a wave of bone familiars sprung up around us in the shapes of spiders, wolves, and even bats.

“Your defeat has been determined from the moment you set foot on this ship.”

More and more familiars emerged.

As I predicted earlier, this ship was proportional to the inside of Latio’s body, so she must have thought that she could dispose of us any way she wanted. Since Rhongomyniad hadn’t been able to destroy the ship, she concluded that her victory was guaranteed.

That was the result of her “precognition”, achieved through Thought Acceleration and Partition.

“Hahaha, you were close to wrecking the boat, though!” Said the bone giant, the alchemist’s companion, appearing in front of her.

One of its empty eye sockets closed, and then opened again. Maybe it was trying to wink.

“Let Latio say it again, Lord El-Melloi II. Hand us Ergo. The Atlas Institute does not wish to interfere further with the Clock Tower.”

Latio’s emotionless voice echoed across the deck.

Though it was a little dispassionate to be one, I supposed it was a declaration of victory, for it rammed into our core with no room for argument.

Just as I was tempted to curl up on the ground and admit defeat, someone beside me stood up.

“Ergo?”

“I brought these people here,” said the young man, bravely raising his head and extending his translucent arms. “I can’t back down here.”

“Your bravery is commendable, God Devourer.”

Tangere’s arm swung back and forth.

The fight on the pirate island had only lasted five minutes. It was enough for Latio to predict our movements. Worse, we were surrounded on all sides. The very ship we stood on was our enemy.

My mentor spoke up before the tightening circle of familiars could reach us.

“Stop, Ergo.”

“But, Professor—”

Turning around, Ergo saw a faint smile on my mentor’s face.

“It is our victory.”

“Huh?”

Things were happening so fast there was hardly time to be surprised.

“—Aha!”

Rin leaped down from her hiding place on the mast. She lashed out suddenly with the gem in her hand, but Tangere dodged it with an agility that didn’t suit his massive size.

“Too bad!”

Rin’s lips curved in a smile at the sound of Tangere’s playful voice. Unconcerned, she began to recite a new spell.

Prepare, nineteenth, eighteenth, seventeenth, sixteenth, fifteenth
    Vorbereitung, neunzehn, achtzehn, siebzehn, sechzehn, fünfzehn
    —”

A wave of Magical Energy surged onto the deck from the gem. At the same time, something invisible breached the ship’s hull.

“Tangere! Expand the Logical Sensing Net and Ether acquisition range by a hundred times each!” Shouted Latio, sensing Rin’s intention.

“Miss Latio, this is—” The bone giant responded immediately.

“I expected you to realize faster, alchemist of the Atlas Institute. I had our pirates who escaped earlier hold the gemstone that would serve as a catalyst.”

I saw that the pirates who had fled on Rin’s orders each held a gemstone. If you looked from the air, you would have noticed that their trajectories formed a pentagram.

“In return for your teaching me about Thought Acceleration and Partition, let me show you the Clock Tower’s magecraft! We send commands to the Magecraft Base engraved in the world to activate spells. After that, the larger the magic circle that contacts the Magecraft Base, the more layers of magecraft can be woven in--!”

I felt the Magic Crest on Rin’s left arm activate. With it at its center, the enormous magic circle began to converge toward Zheng He’s ship.

The key is numbers. The key is waves. The key is the five colors
    Der Schlüssel sind Zahlen. Der Schlüssel ist die Welle. Der Schlüssel sind die fünf Farben
    .”

“Stop her, Tangere!”

“Gray, Ergo, provide backup!”

Latio and my mentor shouted instructions at the same time. Ergo’s phantasmal arms and my scythes caught Tangere’s fists right above Rin as she chanted the final lines.

O, five elements, turn gold into lead, turn the chicken into an egg. Turn, turn, turn, turn, turn into a circle, reverse
    Die fünf Elemente. Aus Gold wird Blei. Hühner in Eier verwandeln. Drehen, drehen, drehen, drehen, drehen Sie den Kreis rückwärts
    !”

I briefly wondered if the spell was complete. No fire or ice suddenly appeared. Instead, Tangere and the bone familiars suddenly stopped moving. Even the writhing boat stopped moving, evidence of a fatal malfunction.

“No, how could this…” muttered Latio.

“Hacking,” replied in a low voice. “All things rooted in mystery are powered by magecraft. The Atlas Institute’s alchemy is no exception; in fact, your Exoforms are a perfect example. Its mystery is inside your body, so it can come into being without a Magecraft Base. In that case, I guessed that the parts outside your body should be more susceptible to outside interference.”

“Even so, you cannot just interfere with Latio’s Exoforms. That would be like guessing a several dozen-digit password by randomly pressing numbers.”

“That is correct. Types of magecraft have their own wavelengths and formulas. You can’t interfere with other people’s spells if they don’t mesh, though it isn’t a problem if you’re dealing with an inexperienced opponent. However, one of my students happens to be extremely talented at this. He knows certain tricks. In other words, it is possible to interfere once you identify the wavelength and formula of the magecraft.”

(Wavelengths and formulas…!)

Hearing those words, I came to a realization.

—“As you may have guessed, it is a Mystic Code that checks the wavelength and waveform of magecraft.”

Observation Sphere Luxcarta.

Had my mentor committed fraud not only to find Latio, but also to play this move?

“On top of that, Miss Tohsaka is an Average One with five elemental affinities. It is difficult to choose spells that suit this talent, as she is suited to basically every type of magecraft besides vexing ones with ether or no attribute. On the other hand, she is capable of interfering with almost any magecraft in existence.”

“That doesn’t sound much like a compliment, Professor,” complained Rin, frowning.

So my mentor and Rin had planned this from the very beginning. Even if just for a moment, our opponent had let down her guard after withstanding Rhongomyniad.

“The Atlas Institute’s Thought Acceleration and Partition are indeed frightening. If done perfectly, it is tantamount to Predictive Precognition. Though it can only predict a few seconds into the future, it can neutralize all our attacks in a battle, as demonstrated when you weren’t hit by Rhongomyniad,” my mentor muttered. “If you were truly perfect, you would have put a stop to our hacking before we began. But your processing power was occupied with
    devouring
    blocking
    the lance.”

He had deliberately chosen to unleash Rhongomyniad then to allow Rin to sneak in from the alchemist’s blind spot.

“Do you mean to say that Latio’s magecraft has been dissected?”

My mentor frowned as he eyed Latio, who was kneeling on the ground possibly because the interference had also affected her body.

“I’m told that I’m known by that alias, though I don’t like it much.”

At the same time, I knew that this was a terrible gamble, because my mentor’s hands were trembling slightly. I didn’t dare think about what would have happened if the lance hadn’t disrupted the alchemist’s calculations, or if Rin hadn’t successfully interfered.

My mentor hated to involve others in his battles. How much determination, how many hours of deliberation had it taken for him to take this risk?

“I have a question,” he said, not showing his apprehension. “What on earth did you do to Ergo?”

“…Did you not unravel his secrets already, Lord?”

As my mentor had already revealed on the pirate island, Ergo had devoured gods.

“That was just the illusion of a theory built up on guesses. I may have captured a shred of its essence, but it is far from reality. It is not a sufficient answer for my students. …One day, Ergo will reach memory saturation. How can we prevent that?”

“……”

She was quiet briefly in a different manner from before.

“Lord El-Melloi II. You said that you will protect Ergo because he is your student. Latio does not understand. Must teachers go so far for their students?”

I never expected my mentor, who was considering quitting his job, would be asked a question like this.

This time, my mentor was at a loss for words.

“I…”

He put his fingers to his brow and spoke as if he were trying to spit out uneven stones.

“I just want to be someone I can accept. I want to at least be quietly proud of myself for once in this life full of regrets. That is the sort of trivial pride I want to cling to as a teacher, alchemist.”

I didn’t know if those words meant anything to her. Perhaps she had already predicted my mentor’s answer with her Thought Acceleration and Partition. Even though they spoke in the same language, there was such a difference in processing ability that they must have radically different ways of existing.

To my surprise, Latio spoke again with her head hung after a few seconds.

“To stop Ergo from reaching memory saturation, you will have to return the gods.”

“Return them…?”

“The gods that Ergo devoured have all arisen naturally. The ones that made him devour the gods never considered this, but it is theoretically possible to return the gods to their natural state. Latio has no help to provide regarding the techniques or people required to do so.”

“Latio, no, Miss Latio…”

Ergo’s eyes were wide.

Briefly, it seemed as if an ill-fitting blanket of calmness had floated onto the ship. It filled my heart though we had been fighting a moment ago.

—It didn’t last long.

“…Hey, hey, you’re giving too much away,” came the voice of judgment, descending from the sky. “You’re violating our agreement, Crudelis.”
    Thanks for the translation. Even if it was a life or death situation I think it's a pity that they destroyed a ship with so much archeological value.

Thanks for the translation AZ.

Thank you for translating. Can't wait to read it. Completely forgot this lol

Hi, I'm just popping in to apologize for the long delay. I've just had no time to translate lately. I'm like 80% of the way through the next part, so hopefully, that can be posted soon(ish).

That's understandable. Thank you for the update and translation!

Thank you for your effort

Chapter 4, Part 3
    Chapter 4, Part 3:

The voice had come from a hawk.

No mere hawk could have wandered into a magecraft-made fog so dense. What was more, we had seen it before when Ergo’s skull was suddenly crushed—

The hawk landed on the ship’s mast and surveyed the half-ruined deck.

“I had planned on going in order… but the god devourer’s contents are meant to be secret,” quipped the hawk.

“You again, Mushiki.”

Suddenly, another change took place. The wind picked up, and a tiny storm enveloped the ghost ship with wind speeds beyond imagination.

The ship moaned as if the world had been turned upside down. Even the mast strengthened by the Atlas Institute’s bone familiars creaked, or swayed, or splintered.

“Wh-What the—!” Rin cried out as she held on to the mast for dear life. Ergo’s phantasmal hands caught her just as she was about to be swept away.

My mentor only managed to stand with my help, and my scythe anchoring us in place. The deactivated bone familiars, however, had no way to resist and slid from the deck into the storm’s waiting maw.

“A typhoon in Singapore…!” My mentor raised his head as the wind threatened to tear the hair from his head. “This goes against the Coriolis effect! How could a typhoon near the equator possibly be powerful enough to swallow up such a large ship!”

“So what is this, then?!”

“Pure mystery! Pure mystery at an unimaginable scale!”

Not ten seconds after my mentor’s bellow, all the bone familiars disappeared from the deck, and the storm faded as if it had never been there at all. Though we were still shrouded in fog, a patch of blue appeared above the ghost ship. The hawk swooped down through it with ease.

“There, I’ve cleaned it up for you. You should thank me.”

With that, the raptor took on the form of a silver woman.

She was like a white flame. On her glittering skin was a light blue pattern that was unlike a birthmark nor a tattoo. It made her look like a human-shaped ball of fire. She wore two crude, chain-linked shackles around her wrists, and a beautiful golden bell on her right ear.

“Of the three mages who made Ergo devour gods, you must be the second,” said my mentor.

“You should know that without my telling you, Lord of the Clock Tower.”

In contrast to the woman’s nonchalance, the alchemist looked up with an expression as if she was only restraining herself by wedging her bones into the deck.

“It should still be Latio’s turn!”

The woman nodded twice, unaffected.

“Look, you’ve clearly failed. You would know that if you only have but a tiny bit of self-awareness. Honestly, I feel sorry for you. I can’t bear to see the descendants of the people I once respected and studied with reduced to such a state.”

“Mushiki—”

Mushiki shrugged off Latio’s demand to speak no more.

“The Crudelis family was doomed to perish anyway.”

“You-you…!”

Latio’s body suddenly darted upward. She had launched herself by shooting the bones from her feet. Propelled by its recoil, she jumped almost as if bouncing off the deck as she flew toward Mushiki and hurled a sword made of bone from her hand.

The woman easily deflected the attack with her manacles.

“Haha, so this is how the families of the Six Sources— the Six Sages of Atlas will meet their end.”

Latio’s sword swung five more times with the speed of lightning, so she probably had some power left from the fight that just took place. She was probably directly controlling the bones inside her body to squeeze out more energy beyond her limits. She must also have calculated that her opponent would evade the attack with her Thought Acceleration and Partition.

Instead, the woman, Mushiki, deflected it all with her manacles again.

“Do you know how slow your strategy is? If you’re going to calculate everything one by one before you act, you might as well let your bones do the thinking for you. Besides, the Clock Tower Lord is also here. They started this scuffle. So why don’t we scrap this order of operations and start from scratch?”

She said the last half of that while staring straight at my mentor.

Before anyone else could make a move—

“Repairing internal hacking…Clear!”

Tangere stood up, having recovered from Rin’s interference. With a cry of “Lady Latio!”, the bone giant launched itself into the fray, four bone limbs exchanging blows with the woman’s two arms. Though she was tall, the giant was more than two meters taller. It was hard to see where she was as they grappled with each other, if only for the briefest of moments before the giant was overwhelmed.

I gasped when I heard the bone giant cry out. It should not have been able to feel pain.

“You are nowhere close to Xiang Yu’s[1] power, or Yu’s inventiveness. How come you haven’t reached either one in more than two thousand years?”

I recognized the first name. Xiang Yu was a famous general of ancient China. In that case, “Yu” must refer to his wife, Consort Yu. Though I never heard that the lady in the Song of Gaixia[2] was a formidable fighter, perhaps the history Mushiki had witnessed was different from the one I knew.

With a crack, Mushiki tore off the giant's arms as if they were made of paper mâche.

“Hahaha, this is almost too easy!”

Chains extended from her manacles and wrapped around Latio and the giant. She spun them around as if they were attached to fan blades before pounding them down onto the shard of the mast that remained.

Before they made contact, the bone giant made one last desperate heave.

The chains loosened, and Latio fell onto the deck. Only the giant was impaled.

“Tangere!”

“Haha, as long as you’re safe… I can’t move anymore…”

Though the giant could mended itself even after having its head blown off, it didn’t even try to retake its detached arms.

“You must be kidding me,” said the silver woman, frowning. “I haven’t had the chance to have fun in ages. I knew you were weak, but surely you’re stronger than this. I haven’t let out all my anger yet, and you’re already broken.”

As she began walking toward Latio, Rin ran over to stop her.

“Aren’t you guys on the same side?”

“Hah? Have you been paying attention or not? Sure, I knew her ancestor, but now we’re only bound by a contract that’s lost its meaning.”

“Really? She seems to respect you, though. In return, you provoked and insulted them. That’s awfully rude, don’t you think?”

“So what?”

“So, I don’t like you!”

A red light shot out from Rin’s hand.

Anfang!

As it flew toward the woman, the gemstone seemed to blossom like a rose. She had instilled many times more Magical Energy into it. This was probably one of the true cards she had prepared to use against Latio.

Sixth, fifth, fourth, fire all! Do not spare even one of the enemies’ shadows
    Sechs, fünf, vier, Verzehren Sie den Schatz! Vernichten Sie den Schatten des Feindes!”

Rubies exploded before my eyes. Rin was giving it her all. Her attack was likely as powerful as the RPG the pirates had used not long ago. It could demolish a small house, maybe even damage the alchemy-enhanced ship. But the woman dispelled it yet again with a wave of her hand.

“Oh, so you like snowball fights? Alright then, I’ll play with you.”

She raised her thumb. It was simply compressing the air, not even magecraft, but it was enough to send Rin flying into the mast. She slid to the ground with a whimper.

“Rin!”

Her head was bowed. She did not stand up. Her magic crest should have responded to her condition and healed her automatically, but it would take her a while to recover.

This was pure, overwhelming violence.

All of my mentor’s and Latio’s careful planning was for nothing. This is what people in the Clock Tower meant when they said that fights between mages ended before they begun. Thought Acceleration, Thought Partition, and the holy lance that destroyed resources necessary for them. Our plans to overrun the deck, and for the pirates to assist in interference. Somehow, this woman could trample over the rules of magecraft and alchemy to act upon her brutal will.

“How…?”

Mushiki tilted her head to look at me.

“What is there to be surprised about? You should know that mystery is canceled out by stronger mystery. That fact hasn’t changed since the Age of the Gods. Neither the Atlas Institute’s Exoforms nor that girl’s Gandr have a stronger mystery than my skin. They didn’t stand a chance.”

“…That means…” My mentor muttered through trembling lips. “…You must be a Xian[3]…”

“What do you mean?”

“The Philosophy Magecraft rooted in Continental Asia is mostly managed by the Spiral Manor. However, a few lingering individuals survive with the authority to connect to the Magecraft Base and form the organization known as the Summit Court. The organization’s leaders are the Ten Officials, all of whom are true Xian.”

Right. My mentor had brought this up before we used Luxcarta— there was another organization beyond the reaches of the mortal realm, the realm of the Xian.

“If all the rumors are true, Xian are the pure embodiment of mystery. Even their breaths and tears would be brimming with it, their bodies more so.”

“Enough about that. I was banished from the court ages ago, alright? I’m not one of the Ten anymore.”

The woman scratched her head sheepishly. I, on the other hand, was completely frozen in place with shock.

Latio had been strong enough. This Mushiki was of an entirely different caliber, like a mountain to a rock. It was difficult to break apart a rock with your fists, but no one would be stupid enough to try and do the same to a mountain. That was how overwhelmingly different they were.

Mushiki paid no notice to me and walked toward the red haired youth. She gently brushed his face with the tip of her finger.

“Why, hello.”

An alarmingly charming smile appeared on her face, in stark contrast to her casual greeting. Allured by it, I instantly forgot that my life was still in danger. Though I didn’t quite understand the feeling, I suppose this was what they meant by someone beautiful enough to collapse a city by looking its way.

“You’ve been hungry all this time, haven’t you? Since you’ve woken up, you’ve never been truly satisfied, isn’t that right?” She muttered with her lips close to Ergo’s ear.

“Agh…” Ergo let out a whimper as she caressed him.

She had clearly shaken him. I was witnessing a carnivorous plant lure in its prey. Even though being captured could only lead to death, there was something enrapturing about the woman’s face that made her impossible to resist.

The woman cast me a look with her uncanny eyes. Their irises were golden, and their pupils a deep red, like a golden ring floating in an orb of fire.

“Devour that girl,” she urged him. “Honestly, I must have still been half-asleep to not have realized before I saw that Noble Phantasm. It must feel so awful with that girl beside you, always holding yourself back… You mustn’t let your desire pile up. I’m practically your mother, so it’s only natural that I would want to see my dear son released from his suffering, isn’t it?”

(…Mother?)

That was certainly a shock, but something else had a greater impact on me.

(…He’s been suffering all this time?)

I didn’t understand what that meant. —No, I did.

I didn’t understand what she was trying to do. —No, I understood that too.

The word Yomotsuhegui echoed back and forth in my head. My mentor had hypothesized that Ergo had eaten the flesh of gods. In that case, what would satisfy them?

Shouldn’t I have realized long ago, as a grave keeper, an expert on the realm of the dead?

“Eat her, Ergo!”

Ergo stiffly turned toward me. His expression was not one of joy or anticipation at the thought of release, but of pure despair, the emptiness that comes with being given the solution.

…Ah, yes.

All this time, the god-devouring young man had wanted to devour the hero inside me.

We were not some sufferers of the same plight. It was quite the opposite. He was the
    wolf
    devourer
    , and I was the
    sheep
    devoured

“Gray! Snap out of it! Run for your life!”

Add’s voice seemed strangely distant. It was Mushiki’s doing. I couldn’t move with her eyes on me. They were probably some sort of Mystic Eyes.

(…Huoyan-jinjing[sup][4][\sup]…)

A word appeared in my mind.

That was the name of a pair of eyes my mentor talked about, from a legend from the Far East. That story had involved Xian, too. For some reason, the desire to listen to one of his lectures again with Rin and Ergo throbbed with each pulse of my heart.

Ergo walked slowly towards me.

“Ergo!” My mentor shouted.

Not even that could reach me now. I could not protect him. I hoped he would forgive me.

“Gray…”

The young man opened his mouth as if he had no other choice. Saliva dripped down from his teeth and onto his chin. What a beautiful beast, I thought, for some inexplicable reason.

Tears were flowing, the only beautiful thing in this dangerous place.

My vision was flooded with red.

Something warm pounced toward me in the sea of red. However, I felt no pain.

Fearfully, I ran my hand down my face and was met with an unbelievable sight.

Ergo was biting down on his own arm, his own flesh. Bright red blood flowed from his open mouth. His teeth trembled with force that seemed strong enough to break his bones.

“Ergo!”

His mouth was stained crimson like a clown’s nose, but his eyes were moist, like a child’s.

“Ergo! You fool!”

Mushiki had hardly finished speaking before there was a sickening sound. It was the sound of flesh being severed from Ergo’s bones, which shone white between the shocking amount of blood. The storm-washed deck was spattered with red.

Just like that, Ergo fell to the ground, and the spell on me was lifted. My mentor ran toward Ergo, possibly after being freed from the same spell.

“You resisted it, Ergo.”

“…I’m your student… after all…” His quavering voice only made the pain in my heart grow. “You must know…why I’m so hungry…”

“Those who eat the food of the underworld must not leave or eat anything else. It makes sense for the same to apply to a god devourer.”

Ergo smiled a strenuous smile.

“Haha… How embarrassing… You always catch me…embarrassing myself… Gray…”

I thought back to our encounter on the roof, his song, and his flustered expression.

—Don’t be afraid of ghosts

At the time, I had thought that the ghosts were actually gods, those unknown people inside him. …But what if they referred to his hunger? Hadn’t he struggled desperately to keep the urge to devour gods inside him? Rin said that he always seemed to be asleep. Was that so he could keep at bay the relentless hunger that had pursued him ever since he awoke?

So that was why my mentor commended him, and Ergo responded that it was because he was his student.

They had known since the very beginning, while I had tried to avoid it.

“Professor…if this goes on…I’ll lose control of my arms…”

“Not on my watch,” my mentor declared. “Think of the moon, Ergo.”

Gachirinkan.

In an instant, Ergo’s movements slowed. The bloodied young man did as my mentor had taught him and closed his eyes as if he had fallen asleep.

“Hey, hey! What are you doing?” Said the silver woman with an exaggerated sigh. “I expected better. I didn’t come here to watch you push water uphill with a rake, or however the saying goes.”

My mentor stood up and looked Mushiki squarely in the eye.

“…What do you want?”

“What do I want?” Asked the woman, tilting her head.

“Both you and the Alchemist have asked me to hand Ergo to you. But since you have gone through the trouble of deciding the order to attack him, you must have different goals.”

“Ah, well,” Mushiki said, clapping her hands together. “My wish is simple compared to the other two…It’s honestly a little embarrassing. I didn’t know I could still get embarrassed at this age. Perhaps there is some value in growing old, then.”

Though the word they used was the same, it seemed as if Ergo and the woman were talking about completely different things.

“I want to devour him.”

Her lips twisted, revealing show-white fangs brighter than a tiger’s, sharper than a wolf’s, and more threatening than both.

“…Devour him?”

“I suppose you could call it a food chain,” Mushiki explained casually, twirling her finger. “Ergo devours gods, and I devour Ergo. Isn’t that wonderful? He’s not just vintage wine but a crystallization of millennia of mystery. Not even the peaches of immortality can compare. You should feel proud that you’re going to be devoured.”

“Enough!”

Though even I was surprised to discover it was me who shouted it, I stepped forward, gripping my scythe with no intention of taking it back.

“Exactly, Gray,” said my mentor, also stepping forward and putting his hand on my shoulder. “He is my student, and your underclassman. Of course we cannot stand by and watch this nonsense.”

“Dear me, are the two of you serious?” Asked Mushiki with a face full of contempt. A gust of wind blew past and sent her white hair fluttering. “I might not know much about the modern age, but I can tell a mage’s skill level just by looking. You couldn’t do anything to help Latio, could you? Without your students, what can you do?”

“This is what I can do.” My mentor smiled a wry smile, took a breath, and made his intentions clear at last. “Like I said to Latio, I am a teacher. I keep thinking about ridding myself of the job, but it keeps coming back to me. And so, as a teacher, I will unravel the whodunnit of this mystery. Or perhaps it’s the other way around.”

“Huh,” said Mushiki, though I wasn’t sure whether she understood what my mentor said. “I see. So that’s what you’re trying to do. Don’t expect me to stand by and let you have your way, though.”

“Help us, Latin Crudelis Hiram,” my mentor shouted as the impaled bone giant looked on. “Regardless of your goal, we cannot let her take Ergo!”

“I don’t understand, Lord,” said the alchemist, shaking her head. “Why are you offering Latio your help? Were we not fighting you just now?”

“I’m just making the best use of what I have! It’s embarrassing to have to beg for help, isn’t it? But I don’t have another choice!”

Most people probably would have found my mentor’s answer laughable. But isn’t that how the weak fight? If you don’t want to curl up into a ball and cry, you must struggle with all the might you can muster.

Latio was silent for a moment before she stood up.

“…I shall. But only on Zheng He’s ship.”

“That is enough.”

“Oh? A temporary alliance?” Mushiki tilted her chin, revealing the blue patterns inked on her neck. The chains on her wrists jangled. “Good, more fun for me. Go on, keep trying. You won’t get anywhere.”

My heart pounded furiously in my chest. This was the first time I had ever been so scared. Though I had fought many times against opponents stronger than myself, the depths of her ability were completely impenetrable. My nerves stopped responding to my attempts at enhancement, and the handle of my scythe became slippery with sweat.

“Ergo, can you hear me?”

Even so, I heard a voice behind me.

“…Let us begin our one-on-one lesson.” Said my mentor calmly to the prone young man.

He was submerged in water.

He drifted in it.

He did not feel pain, only exhaustion that he had no desire to fight. He knew that something far scarier would come to replace the fatigue once it passed.

He hoped that he could stay like this forever.

Rin said they had found him floating in the ocean.

Now, he had simply returned.

He was sure that everyone else was fine.

No one was hurt. He didn’t have to worry about hurting them anymore. So all he needed to do was curl up and surrender his body to the tide.

Why, then, could he not sleep?

Why?

He didn’t know.

No amount of thinking gave him an answer.

He could only float along like a jellyfish subject to the will of the sea as he pondered the question in his hazy mind.

But just as he was finally about to give up on thinking, he heard a voice.

“….Let us begin our one-on-one lesson.”

(…Ah…)

The memory of his promise surfaced.

Even if their relationship was only temporary, a student should naturally listen to a teacher’s class, and a student should naturally never be absent if the teacher is also there.

A faint light appeared in the water.

(…It must be the moon,) he thought.

Gachirinkan. Another word rose to the top of his mind. Perhaps this light was his mental image of the moon.

“Ergo.” Came the calm voice again.

“—And so, I indict the divine.”

It was as if we were under fire from a battleship.

With every blow, a shockwave rattled the deck. I could feel the ghost ship shudder beneath my feet, all hundred meters of it being tormented by a single person.

“Two steps toward eleven o’ clock!”

I heard Latio’s warning just in time for Mushiki’s fist to graze the back of my head. There was no time to worry about my hood; my entire body was sent rolling across the deck. Another command was shouted at me the moment I stood up again.

“One step toward six o’clock! Use your scythe! One step toward two o’clock!”

Her voice was not transmitted using telepathy. Something the alchemist gave me was sending sound directly into my inner ear, like bone-conduction earphones.

As we fought, Latio thrust her bone sword to allow me to escape whenever I had trouble keeping up. Thanks to her, I was barely able to resist. Regardless, we were firmly stuck on the defensive. Our opponent was like a storm, after all, and what could you do against one even if you were warned a few seconds before it was going to strike? Even a light blow from Mushiki’s perspective would spell certain death for me.

—Xian.

I understood the horror of that word for the first time.

At the same time, I also realized how impressive Latio’s ability to defend against her was. If not for her orders, how many times would I have died?

Even so, we were walking a tightrope— no, dancing on a spiderweb. The problem wasn’t that it could break at any moment, but that doing so was a challenge to the laws of physics.

“Ahaha, so two can manage what one cannot. Your agility is not bad, scythe girl. How about we see which one of us lasts the longest?”

I certainly didn’t think a battle of endurance was a good idea. One second spent fighting against her was like an hour. To survive her violence, every deadly blow, even a moment’s thought required all of my strength. I had to think desperately, move desperately, and fight desperately in order to survive the next second.

While this repeated again and again, I heard my mentor speak from behind me.

“First of all, the gods that you devoured, Ergo, could not have been random. The reason for this is simple. Gods are amalgamations of various attributes. Random combinations will surely repel each other.”

He had spoken of a similar concept in a lecture before. Since the concept of placing many gods into a container was improbable, there must be some sort of explanation.

“In this case, there are two clear similarities.”

Meanwhile, I launched myself from the tilted mast in order to block a palm strike from Mushiki. From the corner of my eye, I saw the mast snap from the shockwave her attacks generated. Following Latio’s instructions required not only absolute trust but also split-second decision making. Maybe it was also partly her calculations, but it made me feel like my brain was going to overheat.

“One is that the gods are associated with the sea. It cannot be a coincidence that you were found drifting at sea, not to mention your dreams. In fact, drifting on the sea is an attribute of the gods in many myths.”

Even in a situation like this, my mentor still managed to speak as if he was standing behind a pulpit, his voice ringing out across a quiet room.

“Some examples are Hiruko of the Far East and Njord from Norse mythology. Beliefs that consider castaways or washed-up objects as the embodiments of gods exist worldwide. Considering your dreams, I can surmise that the gods within you possess the attribute of the sea or water.”

(—Chains!)

They extended from Mushiki’s manacles.

I used my scythe to deflect them, and turned it back into box form just as it was about to be caught up in her chains. I had to avoid that at all costs. I had seen what happened to the bone giant Tangere when he was captured.

“Ihihihihi! Well this stinks, doesn’t it!”

Even Add’s voice had a trace of nervousness in it.

Amid all of this, my mentor continued.

“The other commonality is the hands,” my mentor said, raising a hand that he tried to steady. “There is no better clue than the hands you control. Like I said before, hands are a sign of evolution. It was the pressure of information from hands that turned apes into man.”

It was really so much like a one-on-one lesson.

(…Ah.)

Why did I suddenly feel like crying?

As I had always known, he was suited to this role, which was part detective and part surgeon. Yes, my mentor could only be a lecturer.

“To a god, hands represent infinite reach. In Asia, the compassion of Avalokiteshvara is represented in her thousand arms. On the other hand (TN: pun not intended), the hands of war deities like the Asura represent destruction. Therefore, if one has the hands of a god, one can reach information normally inaccessible to humans. In other words, they can reach new heights of evolution, which caused you to reach memory saturation… your creators should have predicted that this would happen. Didn’t Mushiki ask you about what you remember?”

—“Hahaha, so you remember me? Or perhaps I should say, have you not forgotten me?”

Indeed, the hawk had said such a thing. It must have been based upon the assumption that Ergo had lost his memory.

“In that case, the commonalities I mentioned should be the same. What if the three gods you ate have something to do with evolution?”

“Haha, what an interesting lecture!”

Mushiki closed one beautiful eye and laughed. Of course, she was engaging in high-speed battle as she did this. To her, I suppose it was like a mother chatting while trying to calm her child down.

“At the very least, I have to give you credit for giving such a pretentious speech in the midst of battle. But where will you go from there? There are as many gods on earth than there are stars in the sky. Do you think this is going to narrow the list down? Actually, if you exclude the ones you can’t see from earth, I’m sure there are more gods than stars.”

I understood what she was saying.

After all, how many mythologies were there on earth, and how many gods did each one have? Just the North Star alone has different names in different cultures, and was tied to different deities. Using my mentor’s logic was like trying to identify a culprit based solely on their hair color and blood type.

My mentor nodded.

“I agree, it’s impossible. My current guess is only a summary of Ergo’s current situation. However, one of the gods has practically been given away already. It’s like a bonus question slipped into a test. Let us use it as the starting point for a more difficult problem.”

I had witnessed my mentor grumbling to himself as he tried to think of test questions more than a hundred times. Of course, I would be taking the test myself, so I always had to keep my distance. He was always rather miserable looking after a night spent working on them as a result, but his persistence was admirable. He often reminded us to consider the feelings of the person who came up with the questions.

“The question here is your name, Mushiki.”

“Oh?”

The woman’s eyebrow twitched slightly.

“In ancient China, under the rule of Yu the Great, one of the Three Sovereigns and Five Emperors, there was a monster that was said to be invincible. It had the appearance of a monkey, the strength of nine elephants, a green body with a white head, snow-white fangs, and blazing eyes. While King Yu tried to control the floods of the Huaihe River, the monster caused great storms and summoned armies of monsters to disrupt him. King Yu was greatly troubled but eventually managed to capture it with the help of gods and dragons. He then bound it using special chains with golden bells attached.”

“Oh..!”

I gasped. My mentor’s description matched the woman exactly, aside from the part about the monkey. She had the same fiery eyes, golden bells, and chains.

In the midst of the raging waves, my mentor uttered the monster’s name.

“This monster’s name was Wuzhiqi.”

“……”

I saw a wry smile appear on the woman’s face.

“Which is to say, Mushiki. This monster is said to be the prototype of a divine figure that is still famous today. That is why the identity of one of the gods within Ergo can be guessed. Excuse my roundabout way of talking, but I had to explain it as such so Ergo could understand the process,” my mentor continued. “The monkey king of the Water Curtain Cave of Flowers and Fruit Mountain— you see? That name already contains water. That stone monkey, brought to life by the essence of nature, leaped into a waterfall and became the king of all manner of mythical beasts. Though this fact is often overshadowed by his role in journeying to the west to retrieve scripture, he is also a sort of water deity. This is evidenced by his prestige in the port city of Singapore.”

“Enough of this nonsense, Lord El-Melloi II!”

Mushiki raised her voice for the first time. She slid between the crossfire and approached my mentor quite literally in the blink of an eye— right on time to meet me launching myself at her.

“Now, Gray!” Latio instructed me according to her predictions.

“Add! Remove first stage restrictions!”

“Damn it! I don’t think I can take this monster head-on!”

My scythe transformed into a giant shield. Forcing my way in, I blocked the woman’s attack.

In spite of the shield, my body strained under the impact even though I had reinforced it to its limit. The strike was both magical and physical, piercing into the minute gaps between my bones and my flesh.

“Reverse!”

As I shouted the incantation, the magical energy turned into flames and turned against my opponent.

“So you can even take my Shentoujin[5]?”

The woman clicked her tongue and batted at the flames, striding forward all the while. I was more surprised than her. Even though I sent eighty percent of what Add defended back at her, she had only flinched.

My mentor was still a distance away, but he would die as soon as Mushiki laid even a finger on him.

“Sir!”

Before my warning could leave my mouth, a green gemstone was thrown beside her.

Release, storm, strike!
    Ich werde Sie gehen lassen. Sturm, der umstürzt—!

It was emerald magecraft, and the storm it summoned managed to knock Mushiki off her feet.

“Rin!”

“…Xian or not, I refuse to be underestimated…”

She looked up, pale after being smacked into the mast.

Though Mushiki remained unharmed, this move at least bought us some time. And even in the middle of such a battle, my mentor stood in place.

“…It seems that I’m still utterly useless even after all this time. The title of Lord doesn’t change a thing. But apparently, there are still some things I can do.”

My mentor chucked at his own weakness. He was still trembling as he had been since the beginning, and I remembered why I was able to continue fighting.

It was because he was more scared than I was. He was not the heroic sort of person. He was weak, cunning, selfish, and sometimes so kind it was ridiculous. And yet, all I wanted was to stand alongside him.

If he wanted to fight, I would do the same.

“I, Lord El-Melloi II, am the inquisitor and shall reveal the god’s name,” my mentor announced.

This was the whodunnit. Who was the culprit— or perhaps the very opposite, who had been devoured?

“Your name, O God that Ergo devoured, is—”

——

[1] Now, if I was going to be consistent about romanizing names, I should put the surname last, but that feels needlessly confusing.

[2] Also called the Hegemon’s Lament, specifically the line “Ah Yu, my Yu, what will be your fate?” (虞兮虞兮奈若何)

[3] Xian = Xianren = hermit. I chose the former because these are more than people who’ve decided to hole up in some mountains.

[4] This is hardly an ideal translation. 火眼金睛 (lit. Fiery eyes, golden gaze) refers to the magic eyes of Sun Wukong, which allow him to tell monsters from human beings.

[5] Some kind of martial arts technique meant to cause internal bleeding or something.