Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Versed (IC Thread)

Blog Entries
    Angela Harris & Nova Pixels
    Union City - Historical District, Lost finds
    Time: Midday

"You wanna repeat that?"

A loud cracking noise fills the shop. The blue-haired girl's fingers have embedded themselves into your counter. Her voice is low, but her tone is clearly agitated and hostile. And, as overblown as it is, it doesn't take much to tell this is what she considers holding back. A problem customer in the worse sense. Entitled, temperamental, and unlikely to back down.

There's a brief pause- tension filled. The blue-haired girl looks you dead in your eye and you respond in kind. Naturally, this only serves to irritate the girl even more.

The girl raises her hand.

You shift your weight in preparation.

Lowering yourself to the level of some juvenile is not something you want to make a habit of. That said, if you have to forcible remove someone from your place of business, that is another matter entirely. However, just as the two of you start to make a move, your mind doubles back. A brief moment of panic as uneasiness suddenly races through your body. In an instant, you're fully alert- completely tuned in to the girl's movements. The small hairs on the back of your neck stand on end and your muscles tense up. Your instincts are screaming at you... Telling you not to proceed lightly.

The girl's breathing stabilizes.

Her shoulder relaxes and the hand hovering just over the countertop becomes disturbingly still.

Suddenly-

"Hey, Julie."

Nothing happens. Or rather, nothing is allowed to happen.

From the other side of the store, the redhead student calls out with a casual tone. Though, as your attention slowly shifts from one girl to the next, you understand all too well that she understands what just took place in the past few seconds. She's relaxed, but her eyes are fixated on her friend with a silent, commanding intensity.

"Why don't you stop bothering the workers and go wait outside?" With no fight breaking out, she returns her attention to the shelf in front of her, "I'll take care of the rest."

"Huh!?"

Julie swings around, clearly displeased. But, for what it's worth, this little interruption has dissuaded her from taking a swing at you. For now, at least.

"Sis, come on! You seriously gonna get on my ass when they're the ones disrespecting me? If anything, with the amount they're charging us for this crap, fatass and her motorize real doll should be kissing our asses for even giving them any business at all!"

"Well, it's not like it's our money..." the redhead sighs and mumbles as she pulls a record off the shelf, "Anyway, if you want to start a fight with the business owner, I won't stop you. But I won't be the one telling Towa why we screwed up a simple errand."

The blue-haired girl visibly flinches. Her shoulders slump and her eyes stray off to the side as she processes the thought. She grumbles, looks at her friend, then back to the two of you, before turning away and sucking her teeth.

"Fine..."

And just like that, the situation deescalates.

Julie steps away from the counter and leaves both the books and the payment card. She shoots you one last glare- likely learning your faces- before placing her hands in her pockets and exiting the shop.

A brief moment passes and the remaining customer can be heard breathing a sigh of relief. With her friend out of the picture, she approaches the counter and places a vinyl record next to the stack of books. The record cover in question seems to be a little worn, but you can still make out the image of a humanoid robot cradling two men in its hand.

"I'm really sorry about that. You may not believe me, but she's actually a really sweet girl. She's just... easily set off when she thinks people are being rude to her."

The girl's eyes rest on where Julie damaged the counter. She reaches into her shirt and pulls out a roll of bills. Way more money than you've ever seen a student carry... But after a bit of counting, she places a few bills right over the damaged spot. At a glance, it's enough to replace the counter entirely. Possibly even buy a spare.

"Anyway, I hope you'll still let me get these books. Our club president was really insistent on getting these," With a nervous smile, the girl places the payment card on top of the stack of books, "Oh. And I wanted to get this record too. But I'll be paying for that with my own money."

The girl smiles warmly. A brief pause passes as you decide how to proceed.

"And... If you don't mind me asking," The redhead speaks up once more. Albeit a bit more quietly than before, "I was wondering, would you maybe have some... special items you'd be willing to sell? Like OOParts? Maybe even weapons?"

Wise Up!
    Name: Julia Gonzales

Stats:
    STR: S

Perks:

????:
    [Effect 3: Passive. Increases the effect of intimidation utilized by this character. Reduces the effect of intimidation on this character.]
    "I promise nothing." - Sei "Kanra" Slayers
    Resident Sadist. Enjoys stepping and sitting on people.
    Avid lover of butts and anime.

Nova Pixels
    Union City - Historical District, Lost finds

Nova ignores the unruly not customer as they put their hand through the tabletop. She still has more farming to do in Puzzle and Dragons before she can merge Omega Re-Evo-Duplex Time Shatterer Mecha Myr after all. The investment of time had greatly increased with these new 25 star units.

Still not as bad as trying to roll the saber face in Fate Grand Order at least. Statistically, the pity system was less like to happen in total across three accounts of that game than the next four gacha games she plays combined. Why did they think introducing SSSSR rarity was a good idea again?

No, she knew the answer to that as well. Money.

Sometimes she envied the lesser beings and their lack of statistical and computational ability. An imperfect memory and chemically imbalanced based decision system.

"Sis, come on! You seriously gonna get on my ass when they're the ones disrespecting me? If anything, with the amount they're charging us for this crap, fatass and her motorize real doll should be kissing our asses for even giving them any business at all!"
    Case in point, would any rational being assume that such a course of action would affect a positive outcome in their favor? In this world run by defective cognizant units, how did so many seem to find any scrap of progress, or even happiness? Certainty there were some things that were outside even her prodigious computational abilities.

Was it better to know the futility of an action and still take it, or to be unknowing of the impossibility of something and still continue on?

Is ignorance truly Bliss? If it were so, then she would be much happier than she currently is.

AP regeneration; she taps the screens in sequence triggering another round of missions to start.

"Anyway, I hope you'll still let me get these books. Our club president was really insistent on getting these,"
    Nova doesn't hesitate this time before picking up the card with her right hand, and swiping it between her left hands index and thumb.

"191,560.64." Looking up now at the blue haired customer as the receipt prints off from the cash register, putting it in a paper bag with the books.

This would set the store nicely for a good while, ensuring she would continue to have a steady paycheck.

Offering the card back to her.

"The record will be 23,546 credits."

"I was wondering, would you maybe have some... special items you'd be willing to sell? Like OOParts? Maybe even weapons?"
    Weapons? They had found a few of those, but in most causes it would perhaps be better to refer to them as scrap. Dangerous, if only because of the risk of tetanus, to both the wielder and the target.

Still, a chance to increase funds would not go amiss.

Reaching beneath the counter she holds up a small plastic object on a metal chain that she had repaired.

Collection of cherished moments
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotonoha View Post
    I'LL KILL YOU PLUE
    <Zagrin> I'll kill ya Plue

Blog Entries
    Elizabeth Chambers
    Union City- Urban District, Greater Saints Hospital

Mei listens to your words carefully- jotting down notes the entire time. Even when you make a joke, her expression doesn't change. She's tuned in, professional, and completely serious. Even after you're finished talking, her eyes simply ease down to her clipboard. Her pen never stops moving.

"I see..."

A dull response is all she offers.

A whole minute passes by without another word spoken between the two of you. The sound of Mei's furious writing is the only thing cutting through the silence. However, as Mei becomes more and more engrossed in her notes, you realize things will only get more and more uncomfortable unless you do something. Though, you can't be sure what good that something will do.

Fortunately, it doesn't seem you'll be tasked with breaking the silence.

Mei's pen finally comes to an abrupt stop as her eyes trail off to the side. It doesn't seem like she's looking at anything in particular, so it's reasonable to say that something is on her mind. And for it to have stopped nearly two minutes of continuous writing, it must be something she's putting considerable thought into. Something that would make her look troubled. No... It could just be your imagination, but she almost looks a bit sad.

"Ms. Chambers," The doctor's words pull you back. She's looking at you now with her usual expression, "I believe you said earlier that your disease eats mana. And that it is always hungry. Could you enlighten me as to why you speak of your condition as if it is some sort of entity?"

Mei's eyes zero in on your own. They look deep into the windows of your soul- prying for an answer. But...

"Scratch that," Mei backs down with a sigh before you can respond, "Forget I asked."

Mei takes one last look at her notes- eyes furiously scanning each page. Once she's done, she looks back up with a smile.

"Anyway... I'll be sure you're assigned a new doctor by the end of the day. One I personally trust," She leans in and pokes your cheek with the end of pen, "I'll even be sure to bring you up at the next board meeting. Seems I have some incompetent doctors sponging money off of a patient."

Mei playfully winks at you.

At the same time, the door to the room opens. A tall blonde man in an expensive looking suit walks in carrying a small bag and a bouquet of flowers. And, upon seeing the man's face, Mei shoots up out of her chair and bows.

"Good evening, Mr. President," The doctor switches between casual and professional tones seamlessly, "I... wasn't aware you'd be visiting today. My apologies. I was just wrapping up with my patient here."

"Huh?"

The man freezes in his tracks in response to Mei's greeting. He's confused, but only for a moment. He just as quickly collects himself and works through the situation in his head.

"Oh. No. I should be the one apologizing, Mei. I actually came unannounced. The receptionist asked if she should ring you, but I told her it was unnecessary. I'm not here on official business, after all."

The man steps in and closes the door behind him. Briefly looking over at you, he offers a bright smile.

"I take it this is the lady of the hour."

Mei remains silent for a bit before standing upright, "Yes, sir..."

Taking that as his que, the man approaches your bedside and places the flowers neatly into the available vase.

"Ms. Chambers," Mei gestures to the man, "Allow me to introduce you. This is Lucio Velmont, member of the board and current president of Metis."

"Please, just call me Luke. I'm not particularly fond of my name."

The blonde turns towards you and offers a gentleman's bow.

"Ms. Chambers, I've taken a special interest in you. As you may know, Metis is very interested in arcane studies. So I'm sure you can imagine we'd be very interested in your unique condition. But there is more to it than that," The man smiles and nods, kneeling down on one knee, "Not to bore you with the details, but... I guess you can say I'm also fighting my own war against God. And it's for that reason that I personally wanted to lend my aid."

In the background, Mei turns away- ever so slightly. You get the feeling she wants to interject.

"Ms. Chambers... If I told you I could cure your disease, would you be willing to take the risk of trusting me?"

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Angela Harris
    Union City - Historical District, Lost Finds

...seriously? Does no one know how to raise their kids?

She was obviously going to be pissed. Threats, expected. Screaming, yeah, sure. But breaking shit when it was her fault in the first place?

Maybe parents just can't raise kids with superpowers? Guess if a 6 year old can break you in half, there's nothing you can really stop them...

Angela continued my chewing on her burger while the dumb kid committed vandalism on camera, but Blue seemed extra pissed. Maybe willing to reach across the counter and throttle someone. Angela braced her feet against the counter, ready to kick off it in case of an attack-

Quote Originally Posted by Red
    "Hey, Julie."
    -fortunately, the other girl intervened before anyone needed to get a skull cracked. Blue backed down pretty quick, actually. Thanks to a mention of someone named 'Towa'?

...sounds kinda familiar. Do I know any Towas?

Angela couldn't think of anything, and mentally shrugged as Nova resumed the transaction. At least until Red started bringing up weird shit.

"Weapons? You'll forgive me if I'm not keen to talk weapons when your sister just about assaulted us for no reason."

It was paid for, at least, but she would have to call someone to fix the counter pretty soon. Pain in the ass. Maybe she'd just use it as an excuse to get something brand new...

Nova pulled out some electronic game or something. Not one Angela remembered fixing. Nova probably patched it up herself. An ancient relic like that wasn't gonna be found in working order.

"There's a few antique swords laying around in the back. Maybe a flintlock pistol, don't think that got sold yet. Not stuff that's actually in fighting shape. And you'll need to show me an ID and fill out a couple forms if you want the gun."

Angela polished off the last of her burger and fries, washing them down with some more soda. She tossed the wrappers in a nearby bin and wiped her hands again.

"As for the rest... everything I dig up goes through Akasha Library first. Anything unique, unknown, or out of place, they usually snatch up before it gets to the shelves here. Whatever they don't take, most of the time some old rich guy hears about it somehow and buys it within the week."

Angela leaned against the busted counter, chin in her hand as she wracked her brain for anything she might call an OOPart.

...nope. Nothing.

"If you had something specific in mind, I can have a look in storage, or keep an eye out next time we're away?"
    <Satehi> thank you based admin of justice, he/she who doth bring forward the true gospel

Glorious Grammar Master Race Frantic Author's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Elizabeth Chambers

El smiled brightly as the doctor lady scribbled word after word onto paper, humming a happy tune as she bounced back and forth. El wasn't naïve, after all. She understood certain things, like how most doctors didn't really seem to care about patients, per se, so much as they did about other stuff relating to patients. Doctors writing a million notes and not speaking wasn't unusual to her, so she waited, kicking her legs back and forth on the examination table as she gripped its sides, praying her cough didn't return.

The sadness in the doctor's eyes was something curious to El, and she frowned. People being sad when they looked at her wasn't good. Even if she was just a girl in a hospital bed, she didn't want people feeling bad because of her. That wasn't right at all.

After all, her blood did speak to her. It whispered hints and ideas, it whispered love and loss, it whispered of hundreds of thousands of loathsome, terrifying things that kept El awake deep into the night, as it gripped her like a cloak and spun a song of sorrow and despair into her mind.

Was it real? El didn't really know. It didn't matter, did it? It felt real. She could feel it hissing into her mind. She could understand it as something that wasn't her. So, in the end...

El thought it was real, and so it was.

The woman wrote, made a joke (El knew she had it in her! She knew!), and then someone else entered. In front of the girl was a man. He was rather handsome, with fine skin and gold in his hair, and El wriggled around a bit nervously as he was introduced - this man seemed way too important to well... be here.

But then he spoke, and El's eyes went wide.

"Mister... Luke?" El said with curiosity as she looked at him, "if you could really cure my disease... If you really hate Him, just as much as I do..."

She smiled brilliantly, with shining eyes before she shook her head and rubbed her eyes as she blinked rapidly, trying to pretend like her cheeks weren't a bit wet.

"I don't think there's anything I could ever do to repay you. S-So if I trust you... You have to promise that whatever you want isn't something that I wouldn't already want to do! But as long as it's something that could hurt Him, a-and maybe tell me about where my parents are... Then isn't it something that I'd totally do anyways?!"

El extended a hand to Luke, giving him a wave with her free hand, nearly falling off the edge she was sitting on and flailing for a moment before re-establishing herself on it.

"M-My name's Elizabeth Chambers, but I'd rather you call me El! If your reasons are pretty private, then I won't ask too deeply on them, because that's kind of rude! But if it's to attack Him..."

She scrunched up her face and took a deep breath, her eyes squeezed shut tightly before exhaling slowly, staring at the man with a newfound sort of determination, even if it was a little bit weak because El was, well... a little too young to wear determination properly. A breeze rolled through the room, and El gave the man a small, yet brave smile.

"Then I shall come not to bring peace, but a sword."
    in the end we will make thoughtcrime impossible, for there shall be no words to express it

#THELEGENDNEVERDIES

[01:05.15] <@Spinach> I can flash gang signs faster than Sasuke can perform ninjutsu and I rap like Medea's High Speed Divine Words.

Blog Entries

The redhead looks at the digital pet toy with bewilderment before breaking into soft laughter.

"Cute."

Listening to everything you have to say, she once again pulls out her own money to pay for the record. Once again, in cash. With that exchange done, she holds out another thousand credits for the toy. A generous offer.

With her first purchase taken care of, the girl leans in a bit while resting her chin in her palm. Only then do you notice she has a sharp look about her. But, in contrast to her friend, she comes off as relaxed and not necessary hostile. If you had to describe it, she's like a lion laying on its side while quietly picking its next target.

"Well, first off, I think it should be said that Julie isn't actually my sister. We're just close, is all. But where she tends to find respect through fighting, I prefer to take a more diplomatic approach. So, I can assure you, I'm not interested in causing trouble for anyone. That said..."

The girl reaches inside her coat. The next moment, she pulls a large, banded stack of bills out and quietly sets them on the counter. Definitely way more money than a student should have.

"While I may not be able to pay for everything up front, I am interested in collecting any interesting pieces you may have tucked away. And it's fine if anything needs some touching up. I know a person or two."

The girl slides the money forward- leaning away from the counter and standing confidently. She smiles and leaves you to consider her offer with her hands in her pockets.

"You're free to refuse me sale of any items, of course. This is your shop. And I'll fill out any paperwork you want. Though, to be completely transparent with you, any paperwork with my name on it might magically disappear."

Her words hit your ears hard.

"And if you're still willing to do business with me, I'm willing to pay extra for such items. Like I said, I prefer the diplomatic approach. And I don't want to cause anyone any trouble."

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Angela Harris

Angela watched on as the redhead pulled out more and more money. Despite the increasing sum, her bad mood wasn't improving. If anything, she just looked unimpressed?

...this one looks like an even bigger pain in the ass. What did I do to deserve this?

No, unimpressed wasn't right. As Angela’s expression soured, it clearly formed into a 'do I really want to deal with this?' sort of look.

I don't need extra money. Don't even know what I'd do with it. Nova, though...

Angela glanced at the gynoid beside her. A machine, though she didn't really look it. Or act it. Not that she acted exactly human, either, but as far as Angela had been able to tell she definitely wasn't just some robot following its programming. And she needed the money: to buy books, to hire investigators, to travel, looking for something, anything.

At least, she used to need money. These days were a little different. Angela sighed a weary sigh, not really wanting to contemplate those issues.

"Blue can't come back. As long as you don't bring her, you can have whatever. If I was picky about selling something it wouldn't even be at the store."

The archaeologist turned to the computer behind the counter and tapped in a few search terms. Nova probably had the entire inventory in her head already, but Angela had to make some attempt at doing her job.

"French officer's smallsword, late 1700s AD. Spanish espada ropera, early 1700s. English sabre, early 2000s. Probably used for sport fencing. English dueling pistol, early 1800s." Not exactly the kind of thing anyone would use for a real fight. Angela looked at Red and shrugged. "If you want 'em, I can grab 'em. But if you're looking for actual weapons, we've got nothing. As for future endeavors, you're not getting first dibs over Akasha. If you leave a number or email I can contact you if we pick up anything strange."
    <Satehi> thank you based admin of justice, he/she who doth bring forward the true gospel

Blog Entries
    Prim Elkana
    Union City- Residential District, Park

Rebecca's attention hangs on every word you say. She listens attentively, smiling and nodding the entire way. She's a strange girl and, honestly, it's almost a bit off-putting. She seems excessively cheery, overly optimistic, and outgoing enough to feel at home in any room. At least, that's the kind of vibe she gives off.

Quote Originally Posted by Prim
    “It’s a pleasure, Becca. I’m Primrose, but you can also call me Prim.”
    "Primrose, huh?" The strange girl's eyes light up with excitement, "That's not a name you come across every day. But that's okay. That'll just make it even easier for me to remember! It also helps that it's pretty cute too. Anyway, nice to me you, Prim!"

“Then again… Um, if I could give you a suggestion, take this money and buy a great bath salt, and soak in the water for hours tonight. I know I’ll try to do that myself after this whole situation…”
    "Hmmm? I mean that does sound nice, but I'm not entirely sure how that'll work when I plan on sleeping outside tonight." Rebecca shakes her bag a bit for emphasis, "Apparently, there's some cool ruins on the outskirts of town near where my friend lives... Ah! But that's nothing you'd be interested in!"

Rebecca laughs nervously and sticks her tongue out. Her cheeks flush with embarrassment as she keeps herself from going off on a tangent.

"What I meant to say was bath salts probably don't work too well when you're bathing in a river." Rebecca pauses- struck by an idea, "But maybe we could find an old barrel or something and make a bath out of that..."

The blonde's whole face brightens at the mere thought.

“Umm… It isn’t very safe to be by yourself here… Y-your friend could be accosted by those men too, if you two decided to meet somewhere around here. Ah! But, if you’re fine with this, allow me to keep you company! We can just… Lay low, I guess? And wait for her to appear anywhere... It’s not like they’ll search for us or anything? Right…?”
    "Yeah! We'll definitely be fine so long as we stick together! Thanks, Prim~ Oh. And don't worry about my friend. She's pretty tough."

Rebecca faces forward and goes into a fighting pose. Tossing out a few light punches, she imitates what you assume is her friend. And the instant she tosses out her last jab-

"Yo."

A rolled-up paper descends from behind the bench and lightly bonks her on the head.

The two of you turn to face the owner and are greeted by the sight of a young woman. She doesn't appear to be that much older than you or Rebecca, but she does have a certain mature air about her. She's pretty too... And her voice is also surprisingly handsome for a girl.

"Remy!"

Rebecca jumps up and climbs over the bench- nearly stumbling over the back to hug her friend. Remy naturally panics, defends herself, while simultaneously propping Rebecca up so that she doesn't tumble over the bench on top of her.

"H-Hey, Becca... It's good to see you too."

Remy awkwardly pats Becca on the back as she wrests her way out of the hug. Becca, on the other hand, doesn't seem like she's ready for the hug to end and continues to cling. Remy offers little resistance.

"By the way, who's your friend?" Rebecca still nuzzling her face, Remy calmly turns her attention to you, "I saw the two of you running in this direction earlier. Something happen?"

"Oh right! Remy, this is my new friend, Prim. She just saved me from a group of creepy guys trying to have their way with me! You shoulda seen how smooth she was! She just strolled right past them, took my hand, and walked me right out of that mess. Cool as a cucumber!"

Remy smiles awkwardly and rolls her eyes, but you don't think Rebecca notices.

"Well... I'm not sure exactly what happened, but it sounds like you helped Becca out. So I guess I owe you one."

"I was just saying how I wanted to treat to lunch. As a way of saying thank you. Buuuuuut, now that you're here..."

Rebecca finally releases Remy and stands up straight- on the bench. Once again, she targets you with her bright eyes and cheery smile. You get the feeling that nothing good could come of this.

"Hey, Prim. Why don't you hang out with us for a bit? What do ya say? A nice little girls' day out on the town is bound to be really fun~ Not to mention..." Rebecca's voice suddenly grows a bit softer. Her beaming expression too, "Maybe I'm just reading into things a bit too much... And feel free to tell me if I am-! But... I just got the feeling you didn't want to go home."
    Last edited by Sei; July 25th, 2022 at 07:29 PM.

Angela Harris

"Cute."
    Metallic fingers drop the chained toy into the redheads hand.

This human seemed more reasonable than her not sister. With the payment of funds for the trinket she had repaired Nova mentally moved her classification to someone worth remembering the name of. A datum she does not yet posses admittedly, but the classification remains. Unlike the blue haired one who would simply remain as unpleasant lifeform.

There were always more bits and pieces of the old world left that could be combed through. The expeditions with Angela were often focused on knowledge such as the books, or other media. Yet there were things that they left behind, strange things that we not particularly pretty, or shiny just maybe though.

A promise of a steady, higher than normal income could...

Amber eyes stare unblinkingly ahead, body perfectly still as their processors spin madly. No sign of the processes running through her head shown on her placid expression.

How many credits would it take to alter the odds she had calculated during those long nights? Was it even a feasible calculation with the limits on the information she had.

No, it was not. The margin for error made any number a guess worth less than most calculations a human might perform.

She could...
    She could...

Just maybe... was it...

*Ding*

Nova's head dips in a sharp mechanical motion as her eyes focus on the pop up that made a sound on her phone.

This was fine too.

Angela seemed to be capable of continuing said negotiations. Plenty of time to scroll through the update.
    Last edited by Plue; July 25th, 2022 at 08:32 PM.
    Collection of cherished moments
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotonoha View Post
    I'LL KILL YOU PLUE
    <Zagrin> I'll kill ya Plue

Blog Entries
    Oliver Vandenberg
    Union City- Business District, Kingsward Office

Charles and Jess pay little mind to your words. And even if they are listening, it doesn't seem like what you've said has done much to change the situation.

Both of their hands lay resting on the case of money- eyes locked on the other. They've gone completely still, likely anticipating even the slightest of motions from the other. It's a silent war. On one side, Charles is shooting Jess his iciest glare. Sweat is slowly starting to form on his brow and his breathing is barely steady. Meanwhile, on the other side is Jess- cool as a cucumber- with the type of face you make when you've resigned to kill a man. You'd like to think she won't go and pull something stupid. Especially seeing how she hasn't escalated things already... Though you wouldn't put it past her.

"Listen, Jess... I'm the boss around here. Like it or not. So if you want to stick around, I suggest you fall in line."

Charles finally speaks up with a low, shaky growl.

Jess does not acknowledge him.

Seemingly done listening to the middle-aged man, her eyes shift over in your direction. She offers you the same expression she has been giving Charles. No... Rather, it looks the same, but you can tell she's doing more this time. She's examining you. Picking you apart. Thinking... From this you know all too well that she's sizing you up. An annoying thought to consider on the surface, but troubling at the end of the day. Jess hasn't been a part of Kingsward for long, but you know she's no slouch when it comes to a fight. Hell, it wouldn't be that much of a stretch to say most of the street cred the gang has built of recently is because of her. And she's ambitious to boot... If she wanted to start a fight for all this money, there's no doubt it'll be a problem. While you're confident you could hold your own, Chuck is a completely different story. And you're willing to bet she understands that all too well.

But...

"Then I guess I'm out."

Speaking plainly, Jess takes her hand off the case and rises from her seat.

Charles can only look up- mouth agape. Relief and confusion mixing together as he exhales.

"You two have funny playing house together. But I'm done playing make believe with you wannabes."

And just like that, Jess turns her back on the both of you and exits the room without a fuss. Honestly, not the best sign. But at least it's one less headache you have to deal with at the moment.

Charles takes a moment to take it all in and settle his nerves. He slumps back in his seat and starts wiping the blood off of his hand. Dozens of thoughts swirling around in his head.

"Sorry, bro," He speaks quietly, staring off into the distance, "But we really can't take this job. It's too big for us... Sorry for gettin' ya all riled up and all, but I just thought this wasn't the kind of money I should deal with while keepin' you guys in the dark. Anyway... We're not taking this job. And that's my final say on the matter."

Charles sighs deeply while taking another long look at the cases on the table.

"You mind finishing up the rounds while I figure out how to offload this mess? I'd appreciate it."

Oliver Vandenberg

I gazed after the departing form of our once-third member with lazy resignation.

A part of me wanted to go after her, whether that was to chase her down and tell her to quit being such a pigheaded moron with her own life on the line...

Or grab that money and take anything and everything that was with it, climb my way to...

To... what, exactly?

'The Top'? Some ephemeral bullshit nothing mouthed by people with more balls'n brains?

Feh.

Being at 'The Top' ain't nothing to be proud of, just means you got more people than ever looking to knock you down.

Don't I know it.

I blow air out from between my lips, blowing a raspberry.

"Well, it is what it is, eh? Just another day in paradise, Chuckers."

I leaned back down in my spot and kicked my feet up.

"But it ain't too big for us, and you know that."

I spoke words into the quiet office.

"The doing isn't the problem, it's what comes after."

Then I shrugged, "Either way, just gonna be another corpse, or, hell, she'll come out of it, swingin' dick and have just enough time to enjoy it before someone chops it off and leaves her squealing in the gutter with the rest of us."

Get rich quick is a scam of the highest order, it was bait on a hook, and I'm no fucking fish to be baited like that.

I've no interest in playing games.

Then I sighed, rolling myself to my feet, "But fine, fine, I'll go play babysitter for ya, whatevs. Gotta make sure no one's burning down the dispensary. Again. But you do whatever you gotta do."

I fished around in my pockets, making sure I had everything that I needed in hand, then turned to the door, walking towards it.

"But, uh, just so we're clear, Chuck."

I paused.

"We ain't telling anyone."

I turned to look over my shoulder.

"Especially not Emilio."

I spread my arms in a wide, theatrical-looking shrug.

"I may be a dickless coward, but I'm not a lapdog. Even I got my pride."

Blog Entries
    Lyle Anderson
    Union City- Urban District, Folktale Huntings

Towa grins and nods her head in acceptance. Interlacing her fingers, she leans back in her seat.

"Indulge you I shall."

Your mysterious visitor closes her eyes once more. A brief silence follows. The girl's foot joyfully tapping away at the floor the entire time.

"Well let's see... I suppose I should start by telling you that you're not the first person I've requested to investigate the library. In fact, I've had someone investigate all the sites I've come to you with today. I guess you could call her someone under my direct employ, but I digress. I had her investigate the library after rumors of the mysterious figure made their way to my ears. This was about a week ago. However, the rumors have been circulating for about five months now- as far as I've gathered. Regardless... Unfortunately, she wasn't able to find a way into the labyrinth. Though I have reason to suspect that's through no fault of her own."

Towa pauses again- opening her eyes slightly with a hint of deep contemplation.

"You asked me what I meant by the library being enchanted without Arcane. Yes? I have to ask then, what do you qualify as Arcane? Naturally I'd assume you'd consider the conjuring of things like fire or lightning through extrasensory channels as a form of arcane powers. And I'm also sure you're aware of such powers that are capable of bending the very laws of reality. Even strange creatures that fall outside the scope of what we perceive as normal are classified as arcane in nature. But, say for example you encountered... an alien. A foreign existence that lives outside the rules and boundaries of what we've established here on Earth. An existence with its own systems and logic. Would you consider such a being arcane as well?"

Towa looks directly at you with inquisitive eyes. In that moment, you get the feeling that she isn't looking at you, but through you.

"In a few words, I have reason to believe such an existence lies within the library. Though I regrettably don't have solid proof yet. Although, I can say one thing for certain. While the inners workings of the library may seem arcane in nature, it doesn't hold up to intense scrutiny. It's far too natural."

夜属 Nightkin GilgameshKingOfMemes's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Lyle Anderson
    Union City- Urban District, Folktale Huntings

The library seems to be in line with a classic question of what the supernatural truly is. If it can be understood as a part of our reality, what makes the phenomenon not natural? When does our understanding turn magic into just another science? Lyle supposed it is all relative. If we were to be more specific and try to define it then Arcane encompasses the strange phenomenon born after The Great Loss. Anything which existed before or independently of that origin can perhaps be excluded even if it’s supernatural in nature.

The mystery of its nature is an important intrigue to his current prerogative. The existence of a phenomenon such as the great loss certainly implies, even if it was never properly recorded, that something of the “supernatural” variety could occur even before his current mystical time. If the library's enchantments were not born of The Great Loss, its existence may be able to inform him of how the phenomenon originally occurred even if it is not outright related. The woman has yet to establish how she suspects the library is different from arcane and Lyle wasn’t sure if he would get a clear answer asking about that. It didn’t matter too much to him however, definitively answering that question is part of what this job is all about.

Lyle was also interested in her employee who had gone investigating before him. The fact that she could not find a way to the labyrinth due to no fault of her own stood out to him. Was the certain quality she lacked he had? It all comes back to the important question, why him and not others? Discerning the arcane from the natural is a specialty for him, sure, but he’s not the most famous detective either. Does she perhaps know more about his nature? Or is it just the guiding hand of fate and strong faith which unite them here today.

For now he decided to carry on with his investigation rather than worry about his qualifications. A job was a job, his dedication to pursuing the case wouldn’t falter.

“I see, a very curious place indeed. The exact nature of Arcane is a question that has been debated for quite some time. Just because it seems like Arcane doesn’t mean it is, that’s one of the foundations of my services. There shouldn’t be any issues. Thus I want to know what exactly about these enchantments look so natural to you. Otherwise, feel free to inform me about one of the other locations.”

Blog Entries
    Fairylark Icecomplex
    Union City- Urban District, SCF Headquarters

The two officers are taken aback by your sudden question- shooting you looks of complete befuddlement. A pregnant pause ensues. Followed by the two looking towards each other and back towards you.

"Hah!" Almost immediately, Elynah breaks out into a fit of laughter. Tears in her eyes, she braces herself to keep from falling onto the floor, "I-I'm sorry. Did you really think you we were that kind of outfit? Hardened cops that keep the streets safe by taking out the trash?" Elynah smiles mischievously at you- forming a finger gun, "Sorry, sweetie. I've got nothing that colorful for you here. Just regular ol' detective work and police paperwork. Buuuuut, if it makes you feel any better, I don't mind giving you a codename. My cute little 007."

You hear Johnathan let out a big sigh. He's currently burying his face in the palm of his hand.

"You know... She probably wouldn't get any weird ideas if you just told her why she was here."

"Oh?" Shifting her attention, the redhead redirects her finger gun at the veteran officer, "But I thought you were against her being on this job? No point in me briefing her if she's not on the job."

Another heavy sigh, followed by a defeated groan escapes the officer.

"Cut the shit, Ellie. You know there's work to be done."

Johnathan shoots the boss a slightly agitated look, but she responds with an even foxier smile than before. A tinge of red brightens the man's face and he immediately looks away. This gets a light laugh out of the boss before she turns her attention back to you.

"Sorry... Anyway, like I was saying, you're not being assigned something as colorful as government mandated wetwork. You're simply to use your talents as a Record Finder to assist in resolving the case I explained earlier. It'll be your job to discern where these items are coming from, how they're being acquired, how they're being exchanged, and how to safely acquire them without risk to their historical relevance. I believe that falls within your field of expertise, 007."

"What our boss means to say is that she wants you to work as our specialist on the matter. While we have staff that certainly qualifies for the role, they've already been assigned other tasks in regard to the case. That and- if you haven't already guessed- our job is going to be a bit more involved... Whatever is going on with this black-market trade, it's likely that some powerful, influential players have more than a hand in this mess. Which is why they've decided to assign a member of STATS to this investigation. But, while weeding out a couple of crooks is something I'm perfectly capable of handling on my own... A certain someone wouldn't stop going on about how I can't be trusted to have a delicate touch when it comes to our missing artifacts."

"And what our sourpuss here means to say is that I want you to babysit him. It'll be a regular ol' buddy cop adventure."

Johnathan's eye and lip twitch at the comment, but he doesn't give a response beyond such. You get the impression that he has run out of the strength to resist at this point.

Nevertheless, the officer's face still communicates the sentiment of objection. As he sips on coffee, he stares intently at you. His eyes are intense- borderline menacing- yet calm and hazy. It doesn't take much to realize that something about you has him deep in thought; however, what that something is escapes you. An objection to you being his partner does cross your mind, but that objection never comes. Instead, Johnathan quietly closes his eyes and continues to sip on his coffee.

Elynah takes notes of this and smiles softly.

"Anyway-! If you two could start now, I'd really appreciate it~ I know I may come off as cool, beautiful, and collected as I sit here and give you your orders..."

Elynah's expression suddenly turns sour. Slowly staring off into space, her fingers visibly start to put her mug in a vice.

"As you can imagine... The old farts at the top are not happy about all this. And if they're not happy... Well... It's gonna be a bad time for all of us..."

Without another word, the male officer sets his coffee down on Elynah's desk and starts to make his way for the door.

"Well, you heard the lady. Lets get moving, Ice."

By the time he finishes his sentence, Johnathan is already out of the door.

Blog Entries
    Times: Midday

"Hmm?"

The redhead teen makes an inquisitive noise, but...

"No. I think that'll be good enough. Not exactly what I was looking for, but I think I can make it work. Though, I hope you understand I can't just take all that stuff with me back to school."

The student reaches out and places her hand and the stack of cash she presented before. Then, gently shifting it to the side, she reveals a small business card hiding underneath. The card is black with nothing but a red rose design at its center. No name, no number, not even something like a QR code.

"Consider the money a down payment. I'll have someone else deliver the rest of the money and pick up the items. You'll know I sent them. And don't worry. This is business, so they'll be nice and professional."

The girl gathers up the record and the book she purchased previously and prepares to leave. Offering a slight bow and a smile, she thanks you for your service.

"If for any reason there are any issues, you can use that card to get in contact with me. Hopefully it won't come to that..." The girl's eyes briefly drift over to radio, "But something tells me it might come in handy."

The girl gives a light shrug and makes her way toward the exit. As she leaves, you take a moment to replay the entire exchange in your head. Then, as you start to move the money off of the counter, it strikes you that she didn't even bother to ask how much you were even going to charge her.

"Oh. By the way..."

The girl calls to you from the entrance. Her tone has changed entirely. Dropping the warm and carefree act, she now sounds cold and far more distant. But more notable than anything else is the blood-red glint of magic radiating from her eye.

"If you don't have any cash on hand, I'd keep some of that on you. Call it a hunch, but I get the feeling Julie isn't going to be your only problem customer today. ...And that's gonna be a problem that won't resolve so nicely. It's unfortunate, but I can guarantee your line of work is going to offer you many a headache in the coming days, Angela Harris. Nova Pixels."

Leaving it at that, the girl turns around and exits through the doorway. And just as quickly disappears from sight with her purchases.

Blog Entries
    Elizabeth Chambers

The blonde man is easily taken aback by your response. Shock causes his composure to falter and- almost instinctively- he rises slightly as if to retreat. It's likely his own manners that allowed him to catch himself.

Off to the side, Mei can be seen shaking her head and letting out a hushed sigh.

"I did warn you, Mr. President. Our patient seems to have a rather unique disposition. That said, I'd greatly appreciate it if you didn't make it any worse with your own strange ideas. Though, knowing you..."

The doctor makes one more remark while shooting the young president a disapproving look. Luke on the other hand takes the time to take a deep breath, clear his throat, and regain his composure. Upon doing so, he looks over his shoulder towards Mei and silently gives her a nod. The bespectacled woman offers no response at first, but eventual returns the gesture with a slight bow.

"Now then, Ms. Cha- Ms. El. Why don't we start over from the top?"

Turning back to face you, Luke lifts the small bag he's been carrying and sets it down on your bed. Before you can ask what's inside, he reaches in and pulls out what appears to be some kind of large, mechanical bracelet. Or perhaps a cuff would be a more accurate description? Either way, it doesn't look like it's a mere fashion statement.

"This here is one of my company's latest prototypes. It's a special device that we've crafted after reverse engineering unidentified technology we discovered out in the field. Without going into too much detail, it essentially will allow us to transmit arcane energy over great distances in a manner that is similar to common radio waves. It's our hope that- in combination with other resources- we can use this technology to supply the world with clean, renewable, and limitless energy. It's for this reason that we have titled this Project Ouroboros."

Lucio gazes at the hefty armlet with great admiration before gently placing it on the bed and sliding it towards you.

Obtained Ouroboros Armlet.

"This device is one of the results of that project. It's a bit modified for your particular case, but it's my belief that we can use this to monitor and gauge the amount of energy your condition is consuming. With that data on hand, we can then have arcane energy transmitted to you remotely to balance you out. Well... To put it simply, Metis would be supplying your body with enough energy to live a normal life. That's the idea, anyway."

Luke once again turns to look over at Mei. Mei on the other hand has resigned herself to her doctor's notes- seemingly refusing eye contact. Seeing this, the blonde man smiles before turning back to you. He brings his hand up to the side of his mouth and starts to lean in, but quickly backs down. Shaking his head to himself, he returns to the matter at hand.

"Regardless, what I've brought to you today is only phase one of what we're considering for your treatment. Phase two would be a slightly more permanent solution and would require some light surgery, but that's a matter we can address later. For now, on behalf of Metis, I only ask that you test the effectiveness of this device in everyday living."

"In other words," As if on cue, Mei punctuates Luke's statement with one of her own. Working her way over to the nearby desk, she sets down her clipboard and picks up the nearby phone, "If you accept... And so long as you're wearing that device... You're free to leave the hospital. I'll personally approve it, so there won't be any issues. I'll even arrange for an escort, should you so desire."

Blog Entries
    Oliver Vandenberg

Charles says nothing in return. He simply leans forward in his chair- fingers interlaced- with a stone-cold look on his face. In all your years knowing the guy, you can count the number of times the guy has actually looked threatening on one hand. And this moment in time will be one to add to the list.

In a few words, the man's expression is grim. Right now, Charles certainly has the look of a man staring death dead in the eye. That said, his eyes are steely and determined. Whatever it is he's planning, he knows all too well what he's getting into... And the man just doesn't care. As the gears in his head visibly start to turn, you can only see a man barreling headfirst into the jaws of the beast. You could try to stop him, but there's no reason in bothering. It'd just amount to a bunch of wasted breath.

Charles averts his gaze from you and looks off into space.

The thought that he's acting a bit differently now crosses your mind, but you decide it's best to leave him be. You've got better things to occupy your time with. So, leaving the man be for now, you head towards the exit and leave the office.

Stepping down onto the street, you're immediately hit by the change in environment. A disgusting heat clings onto your skin and the ocean breeze rides in with the heavy scent of oil and smoke. The hustle and bustle of the downtown area can be heard not too far off in the distance and the idle chatter of a handful of thugs can be heard nearby. All in all, just another day "Gangster's Paradise"- where all the lowlifes come to work their way to riches.

"Hey, Numbnuts..."

A voice just off to your side pulls you back to reality. A light jab to the shoulder quickly follows. The origin of which is none other than Jessica.

"What the hell are you doing out here? Don't tell me your idiot boss actually managed to chase you out as well?"

Looking none too pleased with you or the situation, Jessica circles around you while taking a long drag of her cigarette.

"Well? How'd he pull that off? The two of you are so gay for each other that I doubt he could just piss you off and get you to stomp out," Jessica stops in front of you- pushing smoke from her nose, "No... Knowing you... It was probably something straight and simple like 'Please finish our collections, bro. I love you, man.' Tsch. Don't waste your time... I handled that before I came here today."

While you don't exactly care for the attitude, you can't immediately discredit what Jess is saying. She may be annoying and blockheaded, but - if she's one thing- she's hardworking. It wouldn't be unusual for her to wrap up all the daily runs on her own before showing up for a big gathering. But, if what she's saying is true, that raises another concern. Because Charles would know that ahead of time.

Seeing the look on your face, Jess reaches into her coat pocket and pulls out a flask and a pack of smokes.

"So... How about we walk and talk? About why your boss is trying to desperately to chase us away. You've known him way long than I have, after all."
    Last edited by Sei; August 27th, 2022 at 07:46 PM.

Oliver Vandenberg

I meandered lazily down the stairs, adrift in an air of mild discontent, rubbing at my nose at the as-always blanket-heat of the city, outside of the well-trafficked areas with their air-conditioning and massive dehumidifiers.

Distinctly uncomfortably and vaguely nauseating.

A massive sprawl of urban trash and garbage, thrown to rot out of sight and mind.

I spat the whatever-it-was out onto the small pile that had begun accumulating directly down from the right side of the fourth step from the bottom, where it would join its compatriots and one day, they too, may be running errands and useless busywork, jamming themselves knowingly into a cycle of self-sabotage and endless drudgery, where they prostitute for just enough money to keep living in their garbage squat with stolen AC.

Some paradise.

I took a toothpick out of my jacket pocket and stuck it in my mouth, accompanied by the aborted movement to my left pants pocket, to something no longer there.

"Hey, Numbnuts..."

I sighed, and chewed, casting my eyes to the current interruption to my meager excuse for a life, gazing with dead fish eyes as she rattled on about something or other, casual insults or something, whatever passed for her garbage excuse for social skills that grew over the scar tissue of her parents didn't love her enough or something.

I let the static roll over it until she got to spewing something I actually cared about.

I blinked slowly once she'd finished, rolling the pointed stick around in my mouth.

"Well, considering he stared at me with the classic 'I'm about to go do something stupid that I think is actually self-sacrificing so therefore it is Cool and Good' look in his eye, y'know, like an idiot, he's probably thinking of something like that."

I twitched a shoulder in a shrug, "Maybe he's going to go rat to Emilio or one of the other cum suckers around this pathetic monument to a worthless dream, and of course, maybe because he feels bad, or that he has to, or that it's 'for the best', he'll do it thinking I won't know he's going to do something stupid, and if he's got a single functioning brain cell in his head, he'll know I know that."

I shrugged a shoulder, "Something like that, anyway."

Or it's something really stupid.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Fairylark Icecomplex
    Union City- Urban District, SCF Headquarters

Fairylark blinks in confusion as her new coworkers stare at her like she asked if she could eat her chair. That documentary I saw a clip of said that once you were licensed to kill you got a number. Did that get canceled or something? Elynah bursting into hysterics stirs that confusion into a heady froth of rapidly increasing embarrassment.

“But Johnathan said that just a minute ago! ‘Hired guns’ and ‘government-backed assassins’ and all that! Was that all a lie or…” She thinks back to the organization name on the myriad forms she’d filled out not two hours prior - SCF, not STATS - and realization pauses her blinking. “Ohhhhhhh. He meant just him; I’m not… Ahahah… haha… ha…” Elynah’s finger gun points down the tunnel of the newly christened 007’s pupil. Icecomplex. Fairylark Icecomplex. turns a splendid shade of red that puts freshly sliced tuna to shame.

The sly redhead turns her lethal weapon toward Johnathan, affording Fairylark the opportunity to bury herself in her empty coffee mug. Once Elynah has him blushing as well, she finally starts to clarify the fresh hire’s role.

Quote Originally Posted by Definitely Not M
    "Sorry... Anyway, like I was saying, you're not being assigned something as colorful as government mandated wetwork. You're simply to use your talents as a Record Finder to assist in resolving the case I explained earlier. It'll be your job to discern where these items are coming from, how they're being acquired, how they're being exchanged, and how to safely acquire them without risk to their historical relevance. I believe that falls within your field of expertise, 007."
    “Uh huh, yup, that’s right, that’s me, the Record Finder.” Another swig of not-even-imaginary coffee. “I do all of that. Not assassinating.” Elynah and Johnathan continue to banter, and Fairylark chuckles. “I’ve never babysat before, but I’ll give it my best shot! And make sure that he doesn’t break any toys.” She looks over at Johnathan, expecting a snide remark, but he’s content to glare at her with remarkable seriousness. Something I said? Or something he read?

Whichever it is, Elynah’s next words don’t give her the chance to ask. Her new partner immediately heads for the door with a strong suggestion for her to follow suit. “I still don’t know about this, but thanks I guess?” she says to her new boss before heading out the door.

“Wait up Johnathan! And what do you mean, ‘Ice’? It’s Fairylark! Fair-y-lark!”
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

Glorious Grammar Master Race Frantic Author's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Elizabeth Chambers

El blinked curiously at the man and the doctor, tilting her head to the side. She hadn't intended to offend anybody, or do anything that had meant to startle the man. She was just trying to introduce herself, and what he was offering was...

It was a little much.

Especially for someone who had so little in the first place.

The girl looked at the armlet curiously, picking it up and staring at it. It just seemed to be metallic, a heavy thing that was definitely a lot more then just an ordinary bracelet. It was bulky, with more sides then she was expecting and had the look of some kind of bizarre, oversized set of handcuff then anything else.

She didn't think the president's ideas were that strange at all. Wasn't it normal, to hate someone who's done something to you that was wrong? From kidnapping her parents, to murdering whoever He pleased, to striking His most faithful and devoted... Wouldn't it be only natural that hatred would only grow in your heart, when you knew Him for sure, to know so little of benevolence and so much of violence?

"The... Ouroboros Armlet, right?" El said, as she peered through the hole where her wrist would be if she agree. It was a tiny thing, but that made sense; El wasn't a large girl in the first place, "I mean... I don't really see any downsides at all..."

She could be normal. But her blood wouldn't let that happen, would it. Even now it sang, whispering into her ears, a drenched and murderous tinge that ran through her skull and spoke dark words on darker whispers. And now, it fixated on the man before her, and it whispered a terrible, terrible thing into her ear, so terrible that her mind couldn't even hear the word that it said. It was static.

What if he's ********?

What if he's what? She couldn't quite hear it, so tinged with hate and violence as the words were. El wasn't really a violent person. She wasn't. She wasn't. It was hard to listen to the darkness in her mind at the best of times, let alone when such an incredible offer was before her.

She looked at Mister Luke, with his kind smile and jokes, and clenched the bracelet a little tighter.

Evil, her blood pulsed, Untrustworthy. Liar. Deceiver.

But what if it was true?

El put her left hand through the Ouroboros Armlet, feeling the cold metal on her skin as she looked at the man and the doctor, and tilted her head to the side curiously.

"But... where would I go? I mean, I guess I could go back home, but I-I'm not sure what's going on with the house... o-or the staff... Or anything much at all really..."

Flee. Run. The Star.

"And I doubt I'm really allowed to do whatever I please, right? This thing is probably really expensive..."

Cage. Beast. Attack.

"Do you mean I should just... walk out of here, and go wherever?"
    in the end we will make thoughtcrime impossible, for there shall be no words to express it

#THELEGENDNEVERDIES

[01:05.15] <@Spinach> I can flash gang signs faster than Sasuke can perform ninjutsu and I rap like Medea's High Speed Divine Words.