Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paradise Lost (OOC)

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle Cheetose's Avatar

Paradise Lost (OOC)

In a post-apocalyptic world where most people have already forgotten what the Earth was once like, in the middle of an endless wasteland that holds as many mysteries as it does dangers lies the City, the one and only known bastion of humanity. A place so enormous that it could almost be considered a country or a small continent of its own, filled to the brim with millions, if not billions of people.

A place where futuristic technologies that surpass human imagination and the rules of reality meet the traditions of the old times to create a somewhat grim environment full of conflicts and secrets.

This is the place where you live as well, and where you make your best effort to get along with your life without biting the dust too soon.

Except that, your life is never quite as peaceful as you would like it to be, as somehow you always manage to get wrapped up in one of the countless dark mysteries of the City.

Not to mention more and more signs of some greater calamity looming over the horizon started rearing their head recently, even if most, including you, might not be aware of these.

A cataclysm so large in scale that it might just engulf the whole City, and...

What, then?

You might not be too familiar with me, but here I am. Paradise Lost is my first actual project on this forum, but it is a project that I have invested countless hours and many sleepless nights into. As you would expect, it is a play-by-post roleplay that is about solving complex - and sometimes not so complex - mysteries, taking part in intense supernatural battles and enjoying lighter, more relaxing slice of life events inbetween, all with a somewhat dark and somtimes bizarre undertone that comes with the setting itself. A setting that otherwise features a wide variety of themes, and in which you might encounter all sorts of NPCs and stumble upon rather perplexing locations and phenomena.

The system that I built up from scratch for this roleplay draws inspiration from a number of sources, and those who are well-versed in video games and anime will likely notice a lot of references that I used here and there (even if they are often not even really quite close to the real thing). Regardless, it is a pretty detailed system that I built up with the purpose of creating a somewhat stable framework and an environment in which a great deal of customization options are presented to the players. A selfish goal, perhaps, but seeing the unique and exceptionally creative things that others can come up with is one of my greatest joys as a GM, a player, and even just as a person in general. Still, instead of talking too much about what exactly is in the rulebook, here is the link for it, so that you can just see for yourselves. I apologize for how long it turned out to be - but I can only hope that the length does not actually scare anyone away.

Now, for the other technicalities that I should mention here...The deadline will probably be a few weeks from now. The exact date I will probably announce about a week ahead. However, just because there is plenty of time, I would like to ask anyone who is interested in this roleplay to not save things for the last few days, and at least note me about their interest in joining and about the basic concept of their character well ahead of time. During this period, I will also be more than glad to answer any questions that anyone might have, along with providing assistance with the character creation. The rulebook will also be updated with NPC profiles and more lore bits from time to time. Other parts of the rulebook, especially the math heavy sections, might go through minor changes as well, although I will try to really keep these minor and make sure that they do not really affect anyone too much. An example sheet will also be added in the coming days, probably tomorrow or the day after once I got a moment to relax after all the stress and excitement that creating the system caused, especially in these last few days.

As for how many players will be accepted...I dunno yet. Will see how many people are interested in the first place, and after that I can probably give a better estimation. However, considering that I gave my best to create this project and will keep giving it my best to make it as pleasant and exciting of an experience for my players as I possibly can, I expect to see some effort put into the sheets as well. Half-assed attempts will be rejected without too much consideration.

If you have any other questions, or if I have left anything out, feel free to ask here, or preferably on discord where I go by the same name on the Regalia server.

Also, before I forget, the most important part. Much thanks to Verg, who was altogether a great help whether it came to noticing my embarrassing typos or keeping me inspired through what proved to be a rather rigorous process. Similarly, many thanks to Airen as well, who read through my rather lengthy creation a number of times and provided valuable feedback that helped me stay motivated. Thanks to Aya and Kuro as well, who were always there to listen to my silly ideas and give their own insight, despite having rather busy lives with not much free time on their hands.

To avoid just having a single massive document that takes ages to load and eats up multiple gbs of memory, I have made a separate gdoc for the NPCs that will appear in the roleplay. Here is the link. It will gradually grow every few days depending on the amount of time I can allocate to working on them, but each time a new batch is added to the mix I will make a note about it on the discord server.

As promised (perhaps a bit later than what I promised) here is the example sheet. I tried to include a number of topics to give a better idea what certain things are like, though it would have been hard to incorporate everything into a single sheet. A blank version of the sheet can also be found here, feel free to use it and tune it to your liking if you want. The table borders can be made invisible by setting border thickness to "0" in the table properties.
    Last edited by Cheetose; July 15th, 2022 at 09:36 AM.

The Time-Governing Twelve Covenants Airen's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It's time
    Exodus (Complete)

Even if the author is silenced, the performance is stilled and the actors leave the stage, the story will never truly end.

Regardless of the form it takes, as long as there are memories of it's existence, the story will continue on.

In a small ward in the heart of a once devastated town, life carries on as it always has...

Because of you.

Please, remember it warmly.

We'll continue to walk down this path for eternity.

Mugen No Sekai

"The Illusion Incomplete Memories Produce Are,

Fleeting, Disappearing into the Future,

Until the Ruins of Yesterday Overflow,

For That Which Falls Only to Rise is Simply a--"

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    The amount of effort that went into that rulebook must've been insane.
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

Blog Entries
    woah

Not a day over sixty and with the eyes of a cornered ferret. WhiteFrenzy's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Jesus, this Rulebook is insanely detailed. I'm in awe already.
    ——————
    WHITEFRENZY'S
    servants | masters
    —
    —————

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    IT'S TIME.

let's gooo

Click the moon for extra scenes Verg Avesta's Avatar
    Blog Entries

We begin!

Definitely interested!
    Regalia Hijinks

<Erlkonig|Phone> Why get a gf, when Airen is your waifu?

<Airen|Phone> I'll save everyone, it's fine

<Snaxies> Airen is totally Jesus again

<frantic> I actually hate reading your post because you're so fucking anime

<Reiu> Regalia is a scary place desu...

<Mellon> He who lives by the oneshot, dies by the oneshot

Personal Compliments

<@RacingeR> Pally would be a perfect shoujo lead

<Erlkonig> I would fall for Pally if he was a qt shoujo manga lead girl

Quote Originally Posted by Airen
    Only pala is pure, the rest of ya are twisted

Quote Originally Posted by Cheetose
    I'm not sure if it's like this generally, but Pala seems to be very good at making naive and innocent, but also strangely bulliable characters.

Considering how a lot of people seemed to go full force on the sheet making, I will declare the semi-official deadline to be Sunday of next week (07/24). Specifically, 8 AM CET, which should be around/shortly after midnight for most americans. This might be extended by a few days depending on my own needs or if there are a number of people asking for an extension. However, the latter I will only allow if the people asking for it have at least put some visible effort into their sheets, and in either case I will likely not drag things out for too long after that deadline.

Now, for a small update on how things stand right now, as we are about 5 days into the application phase. So far, based on the number of people who directly messaged me on discord regarding rules and such, there are at least 20 applicants. Out of these 20, as far as I am aware, 3 are of the Machine origin, 3 are normal humans, and 11 are Fixers. The last 3 people did not give me their concrete concept yet, and this also means that so far there are no Esper sheets.

As for some other interesting little details. District 23 seems to be one of the most popular places for now (you sickos) with about 3 or 4 people tied to it. There are also at least 2 people who just gave the middle finger to the City, and decided to be Outskirts roamers. The Orphanage gang, of course, also represents, with at least 2 people standing up against the despair and hopelessness of the City to give a brighter future to orphaned children. Of course, there also seem to be weebs, but the rest of the spread is still somewhat ambiguous.

Aside from that, without revealing too much, I am surprised by the amount of people who are ditching A rank attributes or just in general are sticking to a fairly balanced statline. There also seem to be some fairly popular A rank attribute perks. Two, namely, with one being rather obvious, while the other being a quite unusual and unexpected choice. Otherwise, concepts in general seem to be pretty distinct, with a lot of people taking very different approaches to the system and getting hooked on all kinds of plot perks.

US Friend Code
    194,434,580 - IGN Ritsuka
    Blog Entries
    Huh. I'm surprised. Even though I'm in the fixer group, I might have a chance.
    Likes attention, shiny objects, and... a ball of yarn?
    F/GO Supports

I joined two years too late...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok View Post
    That makes me think of Rin as a loan shark.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok View Post
    Admittedly, she'd probably be the hottest loan shark you'll ever meet. She'd probably make you smile as she sucked you dry.

Oh dear, that doesn't sound like yuri at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Techlet View Post
    Not with that attitude.

Don't @ me if your fanfic doesn't even have Shirou/Illya shipping k thnx ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    Been outta RP practice for so long, and I loves me some PM/what you've done with this, so I'll give it a shot and see what happens.
    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.
    My Fanfics. Read 'em. Or not.

Another small update, potentially the last one before applications are closed (on Sunday, that is). Since the last time, the number of people that seem to be interested in joining has grown from 20 to 29. Out of these 29, I know about at least 14 that were leaning towards Fixers (11->14), 4 who wanted to go with Humans (3->4), 4 who picked the Machine origin (3->4) and 3 who were interested in Espers (0->3). The last 4 people did not give me a concrete concept yet, but altogether this means that so far the competition is somewhat even, with maybe Fixers being just a bit overpopulated.

With more sheets in the making and many reaching completition now, I want to point out two things. First, don't sweat numbers and going to deep into mechanics for spells, techniques, and similar things just yet. Focus on polishing your character's concept and the cohesion of their overall kit, since that is going to decide whether you will get in or not, while exact numbers and mechanics will be hammered out after player selection anyways. Second, if you have a background NPC or otherwise a perk that allows you to gain Social Links, you are free to do things such as selecting an FC for them or describing their personality and in general how they are tied to you. Most NPCs from the NPC list can also be selected. It is also okay to leave any number of details blank, and ask me to design them for you, although this will similarly take place while the balancing happens. However, the more mechanical aspects of the NPCs will be designed by me in any case.

Lastly, questions of any kind are still welcome, and no one should worry about being a bother or asking too many things. Since I expect people to put some effort into their sheet, it can also be expected from me to provide any kind of information that they might need to flesh out their concepts.
    Last edited by Cheetose; July 19th, 2022 at 02:36 PM.

Less than 24 hours left now!

With the deadline just around the corner now, I would like to ask everyone who has not submitted their sheets yet to do so before tomorrow (Sunday) morning (8 AM CET / 2 AM EST). Until then I will still be available for questions, save for the few hours that I will have to sacrifice to sleep more or less directly before the deadline. After this I will start mulling over the received sheets and announce the results sometime in the evening. As part of the announcement (following Katie's example) I would like to go into vague details about my choices so that people can better understand why they were accepted or rejected, though all without actually sharing any of the sheets. This also means that technically, during this period anyone can still sneak their sheets in, although at this point their work better be top notch for me to consider taking it into account.

As I already mentioned, anyone who ran out of time before they could finish their sheets (but would still like to apply) should also ask for an extesion. Just please, do not do this to pointlessly procrastinate, as dragging things out for everyone included is only fair if it's for the sake of honest work. How exactly the extension will look like will depend on the amount of people who ask for it.

For anyone who is not on discord, please send your sheets or extension requests to my PMs here.

Probably no more updates until the announcement, unless something comes up.

So in the meantime, thank you all for your hard work so far. The general interest and enthusiasm, along with the effort that people have been putting into their concepts has already made this all worth it, and will serve as a great motivator for the future.

After spending most of today, and really, much of this week mulling over people's sheets and contemplating how well they managed to grasp the setting and integrate their character into it, and how well I, as the GM, could fit them into the City's life and it's overall plot, I finally came to a decision. However, before I go into analyizing things, I want to say that it was really hard to decide who gets in and who doesn't. Not just because of the huge amount of sheets I received, but also because aside from a few exceptions that really just stood out, most sheets have been quite high in quality. It felt bad that I had to leave many of them out, but unfortunately, it was a necessary sacrifice for the sake of my sanity, and so that I would be able to give enough attention to the players that did make it in. So while it might not be much of a consolation, but one way or another everyone did an impressive job, so even those who did not make it in should not feel bad about it.

Another thing that I still want to point out here is that since a couple of people asked for an extension, I decided that instead of making everyone wait, I would leave the final one, maybe two slots open, and decide on those once those few people are ready as well. Because of this, a few people who did not make it in right now will notice that I instead put them on hold. This means that they were the current best candidates to fill those last few slots, and will still have a chance to get in if I find their sheets better than those few that will still be coming. I apologize that this will make things a bit more stressful for those people, but I felt like this was the best solution overall.

Now, without further ado...

Espers

SnowSpartan
    I really liked the backstory you came up with. It's a bit rough around the edges, but it ended up having just about the perfect amount of dramatic elements. The flow of it also felt quite natural, and you managed to give a really strong personal motivation for your character that also ended up doubling as a potential starting point for a pretty involved personal story arc. Aside from that, the character's kit also ended up being somewhat unusual but still quite creative, which just further added to the charm.
    Verdict:
    Accepted!

Ely
    The character's power, along with how you combined it with one of the Esper perks was just really quite creative, and not at all what I would have expected from an Esper. Combined with the rest of the character's kit, it made for a really solid concept. However, I feel like there was one aspect where you just fell a bit short - which was giving the character some sort of a purpose. Without that, it just felt like they were just there, and while I could have made them get swept up in some sort of a plot...Due to how fierce the competition was, it's ultimately what made the difference between you getting in or being left out.
    Verdict:
    Rejected.

Fixers

Plue
    You know your crime Plue. While I found the concept you came up with quite interesting, I also found it to be somewhat rushed. If you spent a week or two polishing this sheet, I would have loved it. But without that kind of investment, it's just a noticeably hurried work that obviously lacks in small details that makes a character stand out, not just as an interesting concept, but as a character with a unique personality and a way to build upon that concept.
    Verdict:
    Rejected.

Aya
    It's a typical Aya sheet. Which generally means very fancy looks and a lot of creative ideas. Also ideas so complex that they just make me hold my head in despair. Still, looking at the picture as a whole - and don't take this as an offense - but I know how slow and sporadic your posting speed can be. Because of this, I'm taking you as an extra player, since I know that I won't break my back over the extra work you could potentially mean, and since it would be as unfair to leave you out because of that as it would be to have you push out a similarly good player who might be a lot more active.
    Verdict:
    Accepted!

Bernkastel
    This was a very fun concept, and I found the character's overall kit to be quite creative and coherent within its intended theme. However, I felt like the character just lacked a strong personal motivation and ties to the story as a whole...And while this was something that probably could have been fixed with some effort, it's just ultimately what made this sheet fall victim to the others that just performed a bit better in this sense.
    Verdict:
    Rejected.

Racinger
    I really don't have much to say here. You came up with a pretty solid backstory and a thematically interesting and coherent kit for the character. You are also one of the few people that just outright went down a certain kind of path, which just made the character stand out even more. My only complaint is that you certainly managed to make your character sound rather powerful, probably more so than what the average ended up being across all the sheets. Yet, that is something that I can easily control, so I didn't really take that into account for my decision.
    Verdict:
    Accepted!

Carolingian
    I had a hard time with your sheet. On one hand, it's a pretty solid concept, and you managed to incorporate a lot of things quite well into your backstory, many which also would have served as good entry points into certain bits of the story. Yet, I feel like it just ended up being a bit too much. There is just so much going on, it makes the different aspects of the character somewhat muddled, and while it still turned out rather interesting, it just made it fall a bit too short compared to the rest.
    Verdict:
    Rejected.

Morm
    A solid concept and a decent execution of said concept which made it stand out from the rest in a sense. However, somehow it just didn't resonate quite as well with what I had in mind as some other sheets...Which is why I am putting you on hold. I'm sorry to make you wait even more, but this just means that your sheet was still among the ones that I liked the most, and ultimately, if it still ends up being better than the few others that are still being prepared, then you will make it in.
    Verdict:
    On hold!

Tang
    I'm really sorry Tang It was easy to see that you love Ruina and ProjMoon a lot more than anyone else in here, but I feel like that is exactly what ended up being your downfall. While others ended up thinking outside the box and came up with many crazy concepts, you remained way too close to Ruina, and while that still made for a pretty fun character, it just didn't give me anything unusual or unexpected, if you know what I mean. Which is why, much as it made me feel worse than in the case of most other sheets, I had to reject you.
    Verdict:
    Rejected.

Draconic
    I was really hopeful when you ended up settling with a concept that felt sufficiently tame and somewhat fitting for the universe. However, you found yourself in a really tough competition, and the many small imperfections that I ended up running into through your sheet just inevitably made it harder and harder to consider keeping you in over others.
    Verdict:
    Rejected.

Vri
    At first, I really liked this concept, but altogether the backstory just felt to be a bit hard to follow. I found myself similarly confused when it came to the rest of the character's kit, because while there was clear effort and creativity in there, it just felt like you left out a lot of small details that would have tied it together as a theme and a concept. While this doesn't mean that it was bad by any means, this slight lack of identity and clarification just made it stand out a little less than some other sheets.
    Verdict:
    Rejected.

Katie
    The character's backstory and overall personality was pretty interesting (and philosophical at times), although her overall motivation and place in the story ended up being just a bit hazy. Though, I partly take the blame here, since I didn't exactly make it easy to come up with these, considering the vagueness of the story. Other than that, the character's kit turned out to be really solid, with a pretty interesting theme that encompassed most of what there is to the character.
    Verdict:
    Accepted!

Verg
    While your character's backstory was pretty short and simple, it still managed to give a really good idea about who the character is, along with creating quite a few entry points for the story that I can make use of as a GM. Overall, I think this sheet is a good example that shows that you don't have to make something ridiculously complex and innovative to end up with a good character, and that just some knack for coming up with a thematically coherent kit can make even something simple feel and look amazing.
    Verdict:
    Accepted!

Machines

Palad1n
    I'm not sure if it's like this generally, but Pala seems to be very good at making naive and innocent, but also strangely bulliable characters. That said, it's a really solid concept. Nuff said, nothing to complain about.
    Verdict:
    Accepted!

SDreamer
    Both the backstory and the character's kit is a bit rough around the edges, but I really liked the concept that you were trying to go with here. Altogether it makes the character kind of interesting personality wise, and the unorthodox yet creative approach to combat is also one of a kind among the submitted sheets. However, that slight lack of refinement is what made it fall a bit too short, but considering how I still like it a lot, I'm putting you on hold instead of rejecting you.
    Verdict:
    On hold!

IRUn (ItsaRandomUsername)
    Kind of a surprise player who turned up really late. Still, most of what I can say is that this is probably among my favourite sheets, if it's not outright just the best. While the backstory is quite simple, the whole theme is just so unusual yet strangely fitting, and between how it all just blends together into something great and all the small details that just add an extra touch to the character, it's hard to decide what to praise more.
    Verdict:
    Accepted!

Kuro
    Just like how an Aya sheet is always a typical Aya sheet, a Kuro sheet is always a typical Kuro sheet. A bit rough around the edges, but a fun concept, and altogether I can see a lot of effort in it.
    Verdict:
    Accepted!

Humans

Fran
    How to be schizo without taking any of the schizo perks. A very solid and fun concept. Not much else to say!
    Verdict:
    Accepted!

Neko
    This concept is so stupid. Everything about this is just so stupid. Some would argue that it's just outright ill-fitting for the setting as well. To submit this, one certainly has to be cheeky as fuck.
    Verdict:
    Accepted! Actual genius, and probably another one of my favourite sheets.

Airen
    In nature this was very similar to Verg's sheet, just with that typical Airen touch that I noticed here and there now, instead of the unique Verg touch. Overall, there is nothing really mind blowing about this sheet, but it's quite solid down to the last detail and everything fits nicely under the intended theme.
    Verdict:
    Accepted!

Bloble
    Surely, considering that I accepted all the other human characters, I must have rejected yours, right? It's just logical.
    Verdict:
    Accepted! But no, in reality, all the human characters were just so much fun, it would have been impossible to throw any of them out.

Glorious Grammar Master Race Frantic Author's Avatar
    Blog Entries

HARRY MARCH
    "Crime's not really my thing. I'm more in the business of solving it."
    Last edited by Frantic Author; July 27th, 2022 at 11:38 AM.
    in the end we will make thoughtcrime impossible, for there shall be no words to express it

#THELEGENDNEVERDIES

[01:05.15] <@Spinach> I can flash gang signs faster than Sasuke can perform ninjutsu and I rap like Medea's High Speed Divine Words.

Blog Entries

"Nana Senri. Bounty hunter. Outskirts guide. Hunter of Syndicate."

Last edited by palad1n; July 27th, 2022 at 02:01 PM.
    Regalia Hijinks

<Erlkonig|Phone> Why get a gf, when Airen is your waifu?

<Airen|Phone> I'll save everyone, it's fine

<Snaxies> Airen is totally Jesus again

<frantic> I actually hate reading your post because you're so fucking anime

<Reiu> Regalia is a scary place desu...

<Mellon> He who lives by the oneshot, dies by the oneshot

Personal Compliments

<@RacingeR> Pally would be a perfect shoujo lead

<Erlkonig> I would fall for Pally if he was a qt shoujo manga lead girl

Quote Originally Posted by Airen
    Only pala is pure, the rest of ya are twisted

Quote Originally Posted by Cheetose
    I'm not sure if it's like this generally, but Pala seems to be very good at making naive and innocent, but also strangely bulliable characters.

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries

The Time-Governing Twelve Covenants Airen's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Last edited by Airen; July 24th, 2022 at 01:59 PM.
    Exodus (Complete)

Even if the author is silenced, the performance is stilled and the actors leave the stage, the story will never truly end.

Regardless of the form it takes, as long as there are memories of it's existence, the story will continue on.

In a small ward in the heart of a once devastated town, life carries on as it always has...

Because of you.

Please, remember it warmly.

We'll continue to walk down this path for eternity.

Mugen No Sekai

"The Illusion Incomplete Memories Produce Are,

Fleeting, Disappearing into the Future,

Until the Ruins of Yesterday Overflow,

For That Which Falls Only to Rise is Simply a--"