Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Melty Blood Type Lumina Community Translation Patch

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries

Melty Blood Type Lumina Community Translation Patch

Hello, forgive me for so shamelessly daring to represent 'the community' with my project, but I do believe that the greatest reason as to why I (and those few who have followed me in this journey) set out on retranslating this game was primarily to serve the community of TYPE-MOON fans who could not fully enjoy the game given its lacking translation. Hopefully you will find it in your heart to forgive me.

So, before I waste any more time talking:
    [U]
    DOWNLOAD
    (direct DL links currently unavailable)
    mediafire dot com /file/wwer6y89xgt2pyt/MBTL_Patch_v2alphatwo.zip/file"]Mediafire[/URL] (patch 2.0 alpha - not a complete release)

INSTALLATION

1. Extract file
    2. Copy the contents into your main Melty Blood Type Lumina directory
    3. Run the game

ISSUES

Q: Help, it says the file has a virus!
    A: For some reason, the MBTL injector (not made by me) can sometimes trigger Windows' virus alert. As far as I know the MBTL injector is entirely harmless, but if you still do not feel comfortable, then I'm afraid there is not much more I can do.

Q: I have Japanese text where there shouldn't be...
    A: Make sure to switch the system language to English. The patch will apply directly to your currently set language, so if you have it on Japanese it will still display things like Japanese names and system language.

Q: I have found an error/bug!
    A: Great! If you have the time, feel free to report it in the thread.

Q: The battle intro subtitles don't work! Why?
    A: You probably have version 1.1, where they were broken due to an encoding error. Try downloading the latest version.

UPCOMING FEATURES

That's right, this is merely 1.x!

We plan to continue support of this patch as long as MBTL gets updated, so when there are updates, you can be sure that we'll be working on the game.

For other planned features:

- Integration of subtitles for in-game voice-lines
    - Editing by LightArrowsEXE
    - Integration of modified OP (by Kaleido-subs)
    - Integration of translated reward titles
    - Modification of name-order
    - Honorifics-version (?)

CREDITS

Petrikow - Project Lead, Translation, Editing, Proofreading, Programming, Image Editing, Playtesting and whatever else I did...
    MaxAkito - Technical Lead, Github Manager, Programming, Playtesting
    Comun - Editing, Translation Support
    Lianru - Proofreading, Translation Support

SPECIAL THANKS

pluot - Developer of File Patcher
    fumei
    - for sitting around in Discord and sometimes answering questions about translations
    Lunar - for giving me his save so I didn't need to grind out as much
    Nachos - for fighting through Boss Rush mode for me
    Spinach - for getting me in contact with a bunch of Melty Blood community people
    Paitouch - for helping me with some technical stuff I was too stupid to figure out at one point
    Andrew - Head of Marketing

COMMENTARY & THOUGHTS

So why do this translation at all? Is MBTL's original translation really that bad?
    Yes. It is really that bad.

I'm not sure exactly what the processes that led to the translation being this bad are, but it is so fundamentally terrible that it is hard to understand. If there is a saving grace then it's that the editing is okay, but that's about it. The translations are extremely inaccurate, completely recontextualizing entire scenes to be incomprehensible. They constantly remove references to things they don't understand (practically half of the lore is gone). They've entirely misunderstood just about every single character voice in the entire game (Sassy Akiha, Polite Mario, Casual Powered Ciel...) It is simply not pretty.

I've made a few comparison images for reference:
    comparison images
    The translation that started it all: the localizers were unable to grasp what Principle meant in this context and went for a wild guess, resulting in one of the funniest translations of all time: the Knowledge of the Poles. I adapted this as the codename for our project.

This is meant to be a joke, but if you read the original translation, you might never have guessed. Why, it is quite wrong! I imagine they didn't understand and went for a wild guess. Unfortunately, this wild guess was neither right nor funny.

Not only is the entire translation completely wrong, here you can see the difference between Mario's character voice in the two versions. Mario is a very rude little guy, speaking just about the crudest most insulting Japanese you could imagine. But in the original localization, there are few hints of this coming through. Was the age-rating not enough!?

Now this is an extremely interesting translation. It is wrong, of course, but the way it is wrong is all to interesting. Here they've used a term that actually does appear in the TsukiRE (or rather, a popular translation of it), however, it is not here that it should be used. Luminous Body refers to 光体, so it seems they assumed the Katakana of 霊子筐体 (Lightframe) somehow referred to it. Very interesting.

As for some personal reflection, I think I've learned that correcting a bad translation can be much trickier than simply doing something right from the start. Had I understood just how deeply the issues ran with this translation at the beginning, I would've been wise to throw it out and start from scratch. It probably would have saved me a lot of trouble in the end.

Speaking honestly, this is the first project of this kind of magnitude I've tackled (a whole game, minimal as its contents may be in terms of text) so there are in many ways still much room for improvement. Though imperfect, I'm very confident in my Japanese abilities, as they're on a very high level in general. That said, there is more to translation than just that. So far I've contented myself with rather rough translations whenever I wanted to get something done on the forum, and when I worked with bigger teams I could always count on someone else correcting my translations in editing. In that sense, this project being so reliant on me (about 95% of line changes are me) necessitated I work on those skills. While I don't think my editing/proofreading is entirely up to par with where I'd want it to be, I still think the end result is a rather pleasant and agreeable read. Of course, this only came about after I'd gone through the entire script (aside from Boss Rush mode...) about 5 times, so it was hardly an efficient process.

That said, of course I am not the only one who worked on the project.
    MaxAkito is the one who originally made me aware of the feasibility of doing it all, given the newly developed modding tools that had become available for MBTL. In addition, Max setup a lot of the technical stuff surrounding the game, as well as how to to run the github. Couldn't have done it without you.
    Comun I brought on because I wanted someone familiar with TYPE-MOON who was also an experienced translator, and he did help me out whenever I found lines that were tricky. Something Comun is especially good at is research, so when that was required he was always of immeasurable assistance. In addition, Comun did occasionally check and edit the script.
    Lianru offered to proofread the game at one point when I brought up the project to her. She actually works incredibly fast when schedule demands, but was usually swamped by her real-life obligations. In addition, she came up with suggestions for translations and alternative phrasings on occasion.

It was great fun working on, and though we were few, we had a lot of fun moments together!

Hope you'll enjoy the game!
    Last edited by Petrikow; June 25th, 2023 at 10:46 AM.

Don't @ me if your fanfic doesn't even have Shirou/Illya shipping k thnx ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    Long have I awaited, and surely others of us, too. Thanks for the hard work, Petri and co.!

- - - Updated - - -

Petri...co...
    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.
    My Fanfics. Read 'em. Or not.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Nanaya's Avatar
    Based. Talk about doing a community a service.
    Also, since we were talking about Roa in the other thread. Overload Gematria is still there. He screams it in one of his Last Arc variants.
    Last edited by Nanaya; July 11th, 2022 at 01:54 AM.

Thank you for the for the translations. it seems the ingame subtitles aren't working for me particularly the battle intros but everything else seems fine.
    edit didnt read the post properly thanks again
    Last edited by AndroidWharf311; July 11th, 2022 at 03:39 AM.

JP Friend Code
    nonexistant
    I knew this was coming, just didn't know when.
    It is a welcome surprise, and gives me reason to play through the arcade mode again.

Thanks Petri!
    burn your dread you coward

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Posting the new translations on steam screen shots and people will be confused as heck kek.

I don't speak Japanese or read Nihongo but I know for a fact Hisui is saying "culprit" not "responsible".

Who would've thought the metly blood type lumina community edition would be the translation first.

Thanks for the new Lumina translation!

Your not a TYPE MOON fan if you don't even own a TM Merch or haven't fapped to a TM character.

fumei - for sitting around in Discord and sometimes answering questions about translations
    Man are you lucky to have me
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Ugh cokesakto no no no
    Quote Originally Posted by Neir View Post
    your ability to be wrong about literally everything you post is truly astounding. Even a broken clock is right twice a day, but you haven't been right once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kateikyo View Post
    The gay pics were the most entertaining thing going on in this discussion.

Head of marketing? Y'all selling this some where?

No, but word-of-mouth is important for people (outside of BL) to even know this exists, and Andrew happens to have a lot of twitter clout.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Ugh cokesakto no no no
    Quote Originally Posted by Neir View Post
    your ability to be wrong about literally everything you post is truly astounding. Even a broken clock is right twice a day, but you haven't been right once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kateikyo View Post
    The gay pics were the most entertaining thing going on in this discussion.

Blog Entries
    Good thing born from the community yet again. Thanks to everyone involved.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Polite Mario is one thing I’ll never understand how it could possibly happen.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Kirishima's Avatar
    Type Lumina's translation is very entertaining in a "how the fuck did they make this happen" kind of way.

Also, thanks everyone for your hard work. It's very much appreciated.

マリーの味方
    thank you for the work my friends. your work has already inspired me to start my fgc career

'You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory' ResidentSeagull's Avatar
    A comprehensive guide to living in the Balkans: Step 1) Leave
    Damn, I knew that the official translation was bad, but seeing it side by side gives you a whole new perspective.

Thank you to everyone who worked on this.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Takashi View Post
    Head of marketing? Y'all selling this some where?
    Andrew, my favorite twitter micro-celebrity retweeted it so he basically did all the marketing for me

Sometimes you have to make a deal with the devil

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirishima View Post
    Sometimes you have to make a deal with the devil
    You know, at least it wasn't Kars.

Quote Originally Posted by Petrikow View Post
    You know, at least it wasn't Kars.
    You got me there.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six
    Blog Entries
    Thanks everyone worked on this.

Y’all help make here something that made me a fan too in the first place.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nanaya View Post
    Based. Talk about doing a community a service.
    Also, since we were talking about Roa in the other thread. Overload Gematria is still there. He screams it in one of his Last Arc variants.
    The line itself actually exists in the files, but they've disabled it in game. It seems to be a remnant of when he was developed as C-Roa, as all of his other C-Roa lines have been disabled as well.

Basically, it's old Roa stuff that's floating around in the files.

EDIT: Sorry, it appears I didn't look closely enough.

His 'old Last Arc' lines have indeed been disabled, but they just put them in again with the same lines and everything, you're right.
    Last edited by Petrikow; July 11th, 2022 at 07:15 PM.