Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 47891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Grail Works, Ltd: A Royal Mess (F/SN, P5R, E3E)

Master of Hermione Alter Kieran's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbitrarity View Post
    I think there's an argument to be made that in this setting, the Velvet Room is effectively directed and empowered by the Counter Force, so if it's dealt with in the story by Joker or Frid, Alaya intervened exactly as much as was necessary.
    A reasonable argument.

Additionally, there's precedent that immature Beasts (Larva Tiamat, Draco early ascensions, Kiara, Kama), don't merit summoning a Grand Servant immediately. They'd probably fly under the radar compared to the Enemy (for now)
    A fair point.

There are lots of other options to consider though. Draco does have certain implications, and blocks off a lot of other possible Servants.
    Yeah - no way will Jeanne or any other Christian Servant touch the Works if Nero's there in THAT form - and that's just the surface-level stuff.

Oddly enough, the way Draco pronounces her name would make it sound like "La-", and the mouth movements are very nearly the same . . .

Yes, THAT is how obsessive I'm being about this - I stood in front of a mirror and matched my lip movements, to see what Frid could have mistaken for "Lancer." Oddly, "La-" at least as I say it, is closest to "Sa-"; this opens numerous possibilities, such as Sakura Matou, Satsuki Yumizuka, Salome and Salter . . . With the caveat, of course, of them being (in order) very taken, taken, crazy, and requiring a meta/closeness level I don't think XX would've had, to use that nickname . . .
    “Love will be cruel to who it entices — love will have its sacrifices.”

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries
    . . . OK.

I'd like to say that I've gotten a lot done; I haven't. This cold or whatever the blazes it is has just refused to die, and between that and work (alongside my usual distractions), things haven't moved at all . . . On paper, at least.

However, I think - I think - I have a plan, now. A path forward. It still needs some refinement, and may not work as well or be as well-received as I'd hope (to say nothing of, you know actually GETTING WRITTEN DOWN, and all), but it's more than I've had in the last month. And it does, at least to me, seem to be appropriate.

After all, who does this describe to you . . .?

"They are excellent storytellers or word smiths, embracing paradox and allegory, walking a line between reality and illusion. They tend to be seekers and travelers with restless lifestyles. They are excellent mimics. They are convincing. They deflect. They misdirect. They outrun. They can make nonsense seem like sense — at least for a fleeting moment."

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle
    You've mentioned that you've been stuck on charting a path for some time, so conceptual progress on that front is a big deal.

That language choice feels Exalted, though tarot isn't out of the question; I'd loosely guess that it matches Changing Moon Caste, Night Caste Solars, or some comparable Abyssal or Infernal, though Lunar seems most likely. In-story, it's obvious to point to Frid himself, but also a touch silly. In Persona 5, I'm thinking Akechi or Maruki, though presumably Joker is also relevant. In broader Fate, the Pretender class is notable, though deception is a provenance of many Servants.

That does bring a few ideas to mind, but it's certainly not clear.

Blog Entries

Chapter 10 – Love, And Other Forms of Madness

DISCLAIMER: Tsukihime, Fate/Stay Night, and all related characters and concepts are the creation and property of Kinoko Nasu and the staff of TYPE-MOON. Persona 5 Royal, the Persona series and all related characters and concepts are the creation and property of Atlus. Exalted, Scion and all related characters and concepts are the creation and property of White Wolf/Onyx Path Publishing.

This is a not-for-profit, just-for-fun project.

Writer's Note: Certain dialogue sequences in this story are lifted from Persona 5 Royal, but I trust in the intelligence of my readers (and the availability of the game) to recognise them when they see them.

Jazz Jin
    Kichijoji, Tokyo
    March 14

“Love,” Frid mentally translated the name from Latin—though if it had any actual meaning in regard to the woman, going by her attitude, it was only as a joke . . .

Insofar as identifying her went, however, it was useless; no Persona character that he knew of—hell, no one in the entire Megami Tensei franchise—possessed it, even as an alias. The only time he’d ever heard it used as a name was by the gold dragon priestess in Slayers Try. And while he might be persuaded into believing that the Persona world was actually the one overseen by either the Dark Lord Chaotic Blue or Death Fog, there was no canonical reason to think that was the case.

(And really, that kind of fusion was really more the creation of fanfic writers, in his experience. And most often in those cases, it was used by either those writers whose enthusiasm outstripped their talent, or who just couldn’t be bothered to consider all the ramifications of what they wanted to do. Instead, they just slapped “Setting A” and “Setting B” together and hoping that their readers didn’t notice all the loose ends, plot holes and outright absurdities the concept generated . . .)

None of which helped him identify the being in front of him. That she was powerful was obvious; she wouldn’t be associated with the Velvet Room if she wasn’t. And she looked like an Attendant, with her complexion—once you allowed for the effect of blue light on white skin and hair, anyway—but her eyes were the wrong colour. That was absolutely clear: even allowing for the light; they were much too dark. That left . . . What? What could that possibly leave?

Had they added someone like Marie again to Royal’s plotline . . .?

It wouldn’t be the same, Frid reminded himself. Leaving aside the fact that it’s too soon to repeat that story idea, it doesn’t make sense under these conditions—not with the Velvet Room in shambles and under the control of the Enemy. And especially not when the Enemy would NEVER let an aspect of itself outside of its control like Marie was—to do so would be absolutely antithetical to its goals, never mind its nature.

Then again, he mused, if you looked at it as a recurring motif—escalating across the games from Pharos to Marie—then maybe . . .?

There just wasn’t enough data, the Exalt decided. Not yet.

“As you wish, Filia-sama,” he said carefully. She didn’t look remotely Japanese, but she was speaking the language, and presumably would understand the honorific; more to the point, what he’d seen of her thus far implied that she would demand it and be offended if he didn’t use it.

“May I ask what you mean about ‘teaching me magic,’ however? I already have access to spells . . .”

“Perhaps,” she said coolly, “but your means of learning and shaping that magecraft is bound by your contract with the Velvet Room—their purpose is to aid in the growth of a human’s potential, after all. As such, the means by which you acquire and hone your spells is shaped along the paths they follow.”

My “Sorcery Path,” in other words, Frid’s mind supplied. It was another new Third Edition mechanic, and one he hadn’t considered when filling out his “character sheet” with Igor; he’d been more concerned at the time with having an actual use for his potential to use magic . . .

(Wait—had she said “magecraft . . .?”)

Frid barely had time to register the sensation of her hand, as it reached out to touch his chest—

And her fingers closed around his soul.

His Exaltation, which nominally should’ve given him some protection against an attack like this—even if was just a chance to fight it off, especially since it was quite possibly genuine now, being made as it was—yielded to Filia’s touch like a faithful pet. And she was not gentle; the knowledge was carved into him as though by a beast’s claws, made of something as cold and hard as diamonds . . .

And

Some

Thing

S̸̨̬̩̭̱̹͈̩̘̓̌̄͜T̴̡̼͚͖̗̦̗̮̽̃͐̀͌͋̀I̶̛̎͗͛̾́̓̿͐̀̾͗̂̈̔͝ ͚̮͔͚͍̣̳͓̹͉͕̩̪̖̳̖́R̷̨̩͓̤͈͚̤͓̲̹̗͚̂̂͛̓R̸̛̮̭͕͐̀̑̕E̴̛̐͝ ̨͑̅͐̀̑̌͛̄͌͐D̷̥̉͋̀̽͐̋

Ishtar was not pleased.

In some respects, this should go without saying; she was, ultimately, a result and incarnation of the goddess’ wrath towards Gilgamesh and Enkidu. Still, this went far beyond her baseline state of mind.

Becoming aware of the upcoming reunion of the arrogant king of Uruk and his pet, she had deigned to set foot upon the world after untold ages, condescending to clad herself in a shell that was unworthy of her glory, that the ancient pacts against the gods be upheld. One that was merely a mortal imitation of that defective piece of junk Gilgamesh so prized, no less—which spurred her ire all the more—yet still, she had done it, that she might have satisfaction she had waited millennia for . . .

And to protect her children, whom she still loved, despite their betrayal of the Gods, came a small whisper in the depths of her.

(And if Ishtar deigned to acknowledge the whisper’s existence at all, it was to dismiss it as merely the wishful thinking of the shell she’d co-opted.)

. . . And then suddenly, her reason for being was obliterated, in a familiar blaze of power she had not seen since long before Gilgamesh had ever ascended to the throne of Uruk. In a single stroke, all her efforts had been rendered utterly wasted, and denied her a suitable target to vent her fury upon—the frustration alone had been sufficient to keep her active within the World. Someone owed her recompense for incensing her so, and she would have satisfaction . . .!

(It was, of course, utterly coincidental that her decision meant that she would be present at the same time as the potential threats to the World.)

The presence of the Enemy, specifically, had not been foreseen, but she had already prepared herself to hide from the World—which would insist on her return to the Reverse Side, the killjoy—so it was of little matter. Her binding to the Velvet Room, on the other hand, had been an equally unpleasant surprise . . .

Ishtar was aware of the trials, of course; like many deities and other supernatural entities, she had even participated in previous ones, after a fashion. Taking place in the layer of the World that they largely did, it was more like a dream of her, partially her own and partially humanity’s, than her true self . . . But it was something to while away the aeons—

(A way to guide and protect humanity once more—a way to help.)

—But the patron goddess of Uruk had never imagined that her compact could be invoked like this.

Nevertheless, here Ishtar found herself, performing a servant’s tasks—which she would do, however grudgingly, because the Enemy sought to usurp the place and authority of all gods, and that was an insult she would never bear. Still, it grated; for did she stand before the Trickster himself, that chosen human upon whose resolve and guile rested the fate of the World? No—she was instead directed to an interloper, a combination of human and divinity from far beyond these lands. And worse, one who was but a pale shadow of the humans of her age.

His body was tempered, aye, but no match for such as Gilgamesh. And his looks . . . Long- and sharp-faced, with hair a common brown, and blue eyes that lacked the vividness to look appealing. His manner of dress flattered as best it could, she supposed, but its make was clearly suitable only for peasants.

It was insulting—she, the Queen of Heaven, was supposed to associate herself with such as this . . .?

And so, she gave him the name of the shell, because he was unworthy of her own, and sought the quickest route possible to fulfill her obligation, that he might vacate her presence before she forgot her duty and gave into the urge to erase his unsightliness from her divine presence.

The act was simple enough, and well within her power: exalted or not, he was human, and therefore under her Authority. The shard of divinity was not, strictly speaking—but as his spirit half was an owl, she had an in there, as well.

(. . . All right, so the owl was more closely associated with Ereshkigal; that was immaterial! They were two sides of the same coin, and owls flew, so she had just as much right to command the beasts as her sister did!)

And so, Ishtar carved the Path of Human Arcana onto the piece of lunar divinity grafted to a mortal soul, performing the rites to bless the steps upon it already taken—a paltry effort, as it turned out.

The goddess scowled. That meant he would have to come back—and worse, that she would have to touch him again! Why couldn’t he have just completed the Path already . . .?

“See,” Ishtar grumbled, “this is what happens when you let mortals govern themselves . . . And you!” She glared at the divine fragment. “Why aren’t you helping your champion, instead of me? You call yourself a goddess? You’re nothing but a third-rate hack . . .!

The goddess blinked. Now that she was looking closely at it . . .

A weaponised piece of a moon goddess, yes—but there were other blessings, too. One that faintly echoed her power; something to do with love and beauty, perhaps from one of her other incarnations? And the other smelt of order, and stars, and made Ishtar bristle for no reason she could justify to herself.

She scowled. If this man was actually a pantheon’s champion, that was even worse—how pitiable had humanity become, that they turned to gods who could do no better than this . . .?

Still, Ishtar admitted to herself, it was a pretty thing: a gleaming quicksilver shape with dappled patterning across its ever-shifting surface that suggested an owl in flight, emanating light which ranged from midnight blue, to indigo, to dark violet. It was a weapon, true, but she was the Goddess of Love and War, so it seemed no less appealing than something made for purely aesthetic reasons—if anything, that made it even more attractive.

And Ishtar was nothing if not a lover of beauty . . .

Her hand reached out to caress it, fingers tingling at the thrilling coolness of its touch. It was, indeed, a piece of the Moon, and it would surely better adorn her than a common mortal—after all, was she not the Queen of Heaven? And were the mortals not meant to face this trial on their own strengths? She was simply ensuring adherence to the laws set down . . .

Her grip closed around it, and tugged—

ThE wOrlD trEMbLed . . .

N̸̛͉͎̼͇̙̣͇̖̹̰̳̥̖̈̐̋́͠O̵͇̰̫͉̹̅̈̿͂͂̊̂͂̋́͂̉͘͜͠͝ͅ.̶͐̏̽ ̧̬̮̺̗̯͍͋̓̿̐͊͂͑̈͠

Ishtar recoiled—

. . . No.

No, it would be more accurate to say that she flung herself back, as far away as she could possibly get in a single motion from that—that . . .

With an effort (more of one than she would ever care to admit to), Ishtar forced the effects of her experience away (let the shell take it; mortals broke so easily, why not this cheap imitation?) and considered the . . . The event that had just taken place.

She had reached for the shining bauble (not a bauble, not a blessing—it was a mask, it was a seal), and suddenly found herself teetering over the threshold of a great abyss; an abyss that dwarfed her as the grandeur of the heavens overshadowed that of Uruk.

The only comparison she could think of was that of Tiamat, the primordial Sea of Life Herself; yet this was not composed of elemental life, but darkness—and yet, from its endless obsidian depths, Ishtar gleaned the certainly that abyss saw her . . .

The goddess closed her eyes, drew in a shuddering breath, and released it.

On that threshold she had wavered for a heart-stopping instant as her divine senses, limited as they were by her mortal shell, perceived what lay before her. And in the passing of that instant, she was thrown back, as easily as she might redirect the path of an ant—and with about as much comprehension as to the cause as the ant might have.

Never before had Ishtar felt so powerless—so insignificant.

She found that she did not care for it.

Were she the sort to admit to faults, Ishtar would say that she was impulsive. It was unavoidable; she was a creature of passion, by her very nature. This particular incarnation, in fact, was arguably little more than that—and the most destructive sort, to boot. As such, she immediately reached out, with all the power she could muster, to smite the being before her.

. . . And found herself stymied.

Ishtar had never cared for that.

And yet, with the limits on her strength, the contract was strong enough to hold her—long enough, at least, to consider the current state of things around her as it stayed her hand.

The walls between worlds, already thin here, had been further weakened, and would take time to recover. They might, in fact, require her power to do so—as such, there was a not-insignificant chance that unleashing her might at the level required to be certain of eradication could collapse them entirely—dooming the World to the horrors that lay Outside.

(And the backlash of that would certainly destroy her shell, and quite possibly this fragment of herself, as well . . .)

And so, she paused, though she hated it; Ishtar focussed her attention on the wake which had just passed, jostling time and space themselves out of place as it did so, and she sought to understand—

ThE wOrlD trE

Ishtar withdrew, scowling. She was a goddess—the patron goddess of Uruk, the Queen of Heaven! She had been showered with countless blessings from the day of her birth; she should COMPREHEND this . . .!

She gritted her teeth, extending all her senses—

“To name a thing is to define it, ‘Demiurge,’” came a voice—his voice. “And you have chosen poorly . . .

There. A snippet of conversation, seconds of time out of order (for none of the Arcana Bonds she could see in that glimpse yet existed here) but connected to him, nonetheless. From there, she could trace back his path (and forward, as well) to determine what, exactly, she was dealing wi—

As a Divine Spirit, Ishtar was intimately connected to the World and its will. The Throne of Heroes lay outside of the World’s order, beyond time and space as they were understood. Having served elsewhere (and elsewhen) as “Servant Archer,” amongst others, she was connected to it, as well—and as a goddess, she had a greater understanding of it than, say, a mere Counter Guardian. As she was now, Ishtar was no more the whole of herself than a summoned Servant was the totality of a Heroic Spirit; nevertheless, with what help the World could give her, it was child’s play to understand the implications of what she beheld . . .

And Ishtar blinked.

That
    was the plan?! It was ambitious, to be sure—and possibly even wise, if it could be done—but it was a gamble she’d not considered. Nor, honestly, one that she would have expected the World to make, if only for the fact if the gambit failed, or went wrong, then . . .

The goddess shook her head. It wasn’t her decision to make, she supposed; more annoyingly, it meant that she couldn’t kill him for his effrontery, however much she wanted to, because there was a Plan in place. If that failed, then certainly—but by then, it would quite possibly be too late.

An idea occurred. But it was customary for attendants of the Velvet Room to challenge their guests, wasn’t it? And she was acting on their behalf, in that role—the never-to-be-sufficiently-damned contract had just reminded her of it . . .!

Ishtar’s lips twisted into an expression that only the blind could reasonably call a smile.

It would take no small amount of time to arrange, under the circumstances, but it appeared her plans to summon Gugalanna would serve a purpose after all . . .

Outside Borrowed Apartment
    Shinjuku, Tokyo
    March 14

If forced to answer honestly, Frid would be unable to say exactly what happened in a lot of the space of time between leaving the Jazz Jin and getting home. It was something of a blur—and sadly, that fact had nothing to do with the alcohol he’d consumed. Honestly, it would be much less alarming if it had.

Exactly
    how many people am I going to run into who can MANIPULATE MY SOUL, damn it?!

In some ways, Frid supposed he shouldn’t have been surprised; the underlying source of Personas was called “the Sea of Souls,” in Persona 3, after all—but he’d always ascribed that to dramatic license. As best he could figure out, a Persona (or Shadow, come to that) was an archetype: a psychic projection of the collective belief of what it represented (or personal belief, for a unique Persona), with maybe a bit of divine power (or demonic, or whatever else) from the original source. But they weren’t gods, or demons, or any of the other things they drew from—hence, the brief manifestations. They were “shadows” in more than one sense (or dreams); it was what made them different from the entities of the core “MegaTen” franchise.

(It also explained how Elizabeth could manipulate powerful Personas as she did, and destroy things like Erebus with a casual effort, but get overwhelmed by an actual deity like in that secret boss fight in Persona Q against Zeus . . .)

And then Filia just offhandedly reached in and engraved his Sorcery Path in place. She’d replicated a feat that had previously required a Divine Spirit’s Noble Phantasm backed by the World, or the efforts of the incarnation of the Greater Holy Grail, a potential Lesser Grail and a magus prodigy working in concert to achieve. And all the while, looking at him as though viewing a particularly hideous specimen of an unsightly breed of insect.

That was terrifying enough—the casual display of power, the ability to bypass protections he should have had as if they didn’t exist—but when you factored in the fact that she was hiding from the Enemy. . . Honestly, Frid didn’t remember a lot of the trip home because he was honestly too busy trying not to collapse into a gibbering wreck.

Eventually, however, he’d remembered that it was ultimately Joker’s destiny to face and defeat the thing, not his, and calmed down (though the thought that he had to train Joker to do it didn’t help). He’d decided, however, that he’d had enough for today, and that it called for comfort food—lots of it. And since he found himself on the subway once Frid returned to his senses, it was a simple matter to hit Shibuya . . .

Big Bang Burger was a space-themed fast-food chain in the vein of McDonald’s, Burger King, and the like—owned by Haru Okumura’s father, as it happened, and interwoven with the man’s Palace and plot arc. Today, however, what mattered to Frid was that it was the closest he was liable to get to food from home.

It might even be edible, since this body has no issues with acid reflux or the like, Frid thought. It’s too much to hope for that it tastes as good as Wendy’s or A&W does . . .

Sadly, it truly was too much to hope for—but it wasn’t terrible, either. A lot nicer than the medium-rare “steak” he’d had at that maid café in his old life. And he’d gotten a nifty badge out of it, as a result of completing “The Big Bang Challenge”—basically, a timed eating contest. Exactly what a “Second Mate’s Badge” did, he couldn’t recall right now, but Frid knew it was an “accessory” that could be equipped for tangible effects in the Metaverse . . .

Eh, if it turns out that I can’t use it, Frid decided, I’m sure one of the others can—and this is one of those things that requires stat-raising, so I’ve saved Joker a bit of time and effort.

He was so generally pleased with himself, he bought a “Big Bang Burger” to go, just to see if they reheated at all well; it would be a minor miracle, but why not? Still, the Exalt found himself feeling awfully tired when he finally approached the street of his apartment building—

But not so tired that the crash of something striking metal in a nearby alley failed to catch his attention.

Adrenaline flooded his system as he traced the source of the sound, washing away fatigue, and he tensed his grip on his takeout burger to form an improvised projectile if necessary. Stealthily, the Lunar approached the mouth of the alley, and cautiously leaned in around the nearest corner to peer into its depths—

Just in time to watch as the dog’s leaping form struck the dumpster again, making a second crash with the impact. Still, it didn’t quite reach the rim, falling back to the asphalt.

It was a Shiba Inu, at a guess. Frid had never seen one in person before, but between Hachiko and Persona 3, he knew what they were supposed to look like. This one, in fact, greatly resembled the latter’s Koromaru, being a pure white . . . Well, the parts of its coat that weren’t matted with dirt were, anyway. Overall, it resembled a miniature, slightly less fluffy Samoyed dog—and having grown up around those, the Lunar’s heart instantly melted.

This is a terrible idea, but . . .

Creeping away and back to a vending machine, it was the work of a moment to purchase a bottle of water—and not much more than that to tear the cardboard container holding his burger along its hinges to form two makeshift bowls. Into one of them, he dumped the meat patties of the burger, along with the bacon strips.

Returning quietly to the alley, he set the two containers down—and made a point of loudly pouring water into the empty one.

The sound, of course, caught the dog’s attention. The ears pricked up in the way Frid found so achingly familiar, the head swivelling to follow. What surprised him was the unhesitating way the dog trotted over to them, not even bothering to wait until he’d stood up, never mind backed away.

Somebody loves you, don’t they?” he murmured.

In Frid’s experience, unless you were very lucky, it was rare indeed for a dog to be that naturally unafraid of a strange human; it made no barks, there was no tension in its muscles, nothing. Now, it might just be too hungry and thirsty to care—but it seemed more likely that this was a lost pet, rather than a wild or stray dog.

The dog, for its part, made no reply, being too busy enthusiastically down its first few bites of beef patty. Afterwards, it did its best to bury its muzzle in the impromptu water dish.

The Exalt crouched for a bit, watching the dog eat. Despite his assumption, he could see no sign of a collar; maybe it was chipped? Was that still a thing people did with pets?

On the plus side, he spotted evidence that the dog was male (and sincerely regretted doing so), so he could at least stop using “it” to refer to him.

Hang on—could this be Koromaru, from Persona 3? The series did love its inter-game crossovers and references, after all, especially in the expanded editions like Royal . . .

No, Frid ultimately decided. There’s an eight-year gap between the third and fifth games—I know smaller dogs tend to live longer, but he wasn’t a puppy during the game. Konomaru would be a very old boy by now if he’s still around. And you don’t look that old.

Having nosed and licked his way through the now-empty meat box hard enough to tear it to pieces, the dog began lapping at the last droplets of the water box, whining.

“Hey, buddy,” Frid said, in the breathy singsong he’d learned to use when dealing with animals and small children. “Here you go, more water com—ING!”

The dog had lunged for the water bottle, lapping at the neck as he went for the stream of pouring water. Startled, Frid nevertheless managed to hold steady, quickly working out how to let the dog drink, even as the parting stream splashed around the edges of his muzzle. Finally, the dog pulled back a bit, shaking and sneezing the excess water away.

“You startled me, little buddy,” Frid said chidingly. “Feel better, though?”

Now the dog barked, tail wagging. The Exalt imagined that if this was the video game, little flowers of happiness might be rising from it.

This is a terrible idea, he reminded himself, but he resolved to try it anyway.

“It’s gonna get dark soon,” he said to the dog, still in the singsong. “Did you want to come and stay with me for the night? It’ll be warm and dry—and we can try to get you cleaned up, and see if we can find your family in the morning, eh? I bet somebody’s missing you . . .”

There were so many ways this could go wrong. It was a strange dog, and he had no idea how to go about dealing with the authorities regarding a lost dog (or adopting a dog, if it came to that), or even if his building allowed pets—to say nothing of his own legal identity issues.

But at the same time, he hated the idea of just leaving the dog alone, on the streets . . .

(And he looked like a Samoyed . . .)

It was crazy—but he’d do it anyway.

“You don’t have to come,” he said. “And I won’t make you stay—but I’d like to you to be safe . . . And I could use the company,” he admitted. “Did you want to come home?”

He stood up, and the dog, with a bark, trotted fearlessly to his side, following along as he moved.

“OK, boy,” he said. “let’s—oh. I’ll need something to call you, I guess.”

“Koromaru” was the obvious choice; but the dog’s eyes were black, not Koromaru’s albino red. Likewise, he didn’t feel comfortable naming the Shiba after one of his childhood dogs, though the temptation was there to use the “T-name” theme all his family’s dogs had had—

And then, Frid remembered where, exactly, he was.

“C’mon, Cavall—let’s go home.”

Office of Doctor Takuto Maruki

The therapist was a tall, middle-aged man, with sandy, unkempt hair and black, square-framed glasses much stiffer-looking than Sumire’s more rounded frames. His face was unshaven, and though he wore a dress shirt and tie (both blue), he also wore sandals without socks (in March!), and the cuffs of his khaki slacks were upturned. He also wore a white lab coat—presumably to help people think “doctor” instead of “beach bum” at the sight of him.

(And, she decided, it wasn’t nearly as effective at the job as he’d probably like it to be.)

It certainly wasn’t helping her nerves. No matter how highly recommended he came, she couldn’t help but feel this was a major mistake . . .

“Yoshizawa-san?” the doctor said in a kindly voice, smiling with unexpected gentleness. “I’m ready to begin whenever you are.”

“How about never?” came immediately to her lips—but with an effort, she swallowed it.

(Because in the end, what other choice did she have . . .?)

Sighing in resignation, Kasumi rose from her seat and followed the therapist inside.
    Last edited by Kieran; May 21st, 2023 at 11:32 PM.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries
    Kieran, I thank you for the chapter, and I hope you manage to keep Cavall in as a proper mascot for the Works. That interaction was too cute​!
    Xamusel's Fanfiction Profile

For those that don't necessarily care if my fics aren't all Type-Moon related.

Hmm... this is a bit of a surprise these days.

An archive of my works on the forum that's pretty accurate.

Note that I don't wish to be seen as an idiot any longer. I can't always promise better works than before, but I can sure as hell try, alright?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Xamusel View Post
    Kieran, I thank you for the chapter, and I hope you manage to keep Cavall in as a proper mascot for the Works. That interaction was too cute​!
    Me too, for the same reasons - though I suspect he's very quickly going to become Arturia's dog . . .

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

It has been a while; I forgot Frid was encountering Ishtar still. That almost went very poorly, though Frid has no idea. And it's likely to be annoying later; challenging the Attendants is usually an optional battle, but Ishtar has a legendary vindictive streak. I didn't really consider the possibility of her coveting the Exaltation, but yeahhhhh. That bit of foreshadowing with Demiurge is interesting, but I'm not sure if it tells me much about the broader plan.
    And Maruki begins his work, of course.

Blog Entries
    It has been a while; I forgot Frid was encountering Ishtar still.
    Yeah - as it is, there's a bit of a time gap, because he was supposed to look into the Jazz Jin "tomorrow," but started a few days later, and I forgot I'd changed it, and thus, didn't mention why . . . (Out of universe, because Sundays are when the singers show up in-game; in-universe, he didn't end up having free time.)

That almost went very poorly, though Frid has no idea.
    Nope - otherwise, he might find it amusing that they mutually scare the hell out of one another.

And it's likely to be annoying later; challenging the Attendants is usually an optional battle, but Ishtar has a legendary vindictive streak.
    And this is Ishtar without Rin filtering her (though, as I hope you noticed, she has moments where she shows why Rin is particularly compatible with her). She's basically an Avenger in all but name; this version of her doesn't exist for any other reason than to punish Gilgamesh and Enkidu.

. . . Which, of course, is why she's really pissed about having that opportunity taken from her; and yet, she's also listed as "Lawful Good" - which not even Ishtarin is - so there must be something more to her, no?

I didn't really consider the possibility of her coveting the Exaltation, but yeahhhhh.
    She likes pretty, high-class, and expensive things.

That bit of foreshadowing with Demiurge is interesting, but I'm not sure if it tells me much about the broader plan.
    Not as such, no - not intentionally, at any rate. As to The Plan itself, I admit it will be a reach, but I hope it will make sense . . .

And Maruki begins his work, of course.
    Yup - he's a couple of weeks early, versus canon, but having both sisters having issues sped up the timetable a bit.

The end results, of course, remain to be seen . . .

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries
    . . . So, time for a couple of odd questions, to help me in my future plotting:

1) Does Tokyo have a known Second Owner? I can't find a mention of one, and while I've been assuming it's the Sajyou family (for obvious reasons), I could very easily be wrong - Tokyo is huge, for one thing.

2) This will be WAAAAAY down the line, but I feel I should ask - the plot of Persona 5 Scramble/Strikers introduces "humanity's companion," Sophia - and while she is a sweetheart whom I dearly adore (her Awakening is one of the best scenes in the entire game, so far as I'm concerned), there are other options . . . Anybody have a preference?

(Dumb question, I know - this is a TYPE-MOON board, after all - but I thought I'd ask.)

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries
    Okay, Kieran, to answer your questions? First of all... I'm not sure of who the Second Owners are.

Second, I would like to see both of them, not one or the other.

Note that I don't wish to be seen as an idiot any longer. I can't always promise better works than before, but I can sure as hell try, alright?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Xamusel View Post
    Okay, Kieran, to answer your questions? First of all... I'm not sure of who the Second Owners are.
    OK, thank you - I was just hoping someone would know. It may even be that TYPE-MOON has never actually said . . .

Second, I would like to see both of them, not one or the other.
    . . . That is mildly terrifying to contemplate.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries
    That might actually be the case, about the Second Owners of Tokyo, come to think of it.

As for the reaction to my second answer? How so?

Blog Entries
    Leaving aside the idea of her corrupting Sophia (which I could see her trying), or trying to eliminate her ("There can be only ONE kouhai-type!"), while it might make some amount of sense - or at least, seem potentially reasonable - for Sophia to be outright replaced; it's just a matter of her creator going with a different (if familiar to us) design.

Consider, however, what it would have to take for both of them to exist simultaneously . . .

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries
    I literally can't consider what it would take... I'm not that well-versed in the needed materials.

I can think of a few:

- BB was created before Sophia by the same creator, who decided to go with a more blank-slate approach afterwards
    - BB replaces EMMA
    - BB existed independently (Moon Cell or otherwise), and isn't hostile to Sophia because Sophia is a personality fork of hers (like the Sakura Five)

Blog Entries
    All good ideas, but definitely complicated if I do both . . .

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Oh certainly. I think most of the time, adding BB will make things more complicated, which is precisely why you'd want to plan for it this far out.

I kinda lean towards playing it straight and using Sophia, partly because I'm imagining a lot of other complexities between here and there, and partly because she sounds straightforwardly adorable. Admittedly, BB could be worth it just for Godafrid's reaction. Consider your own tolerance for juggling divergences, I suppose.

Blog Entries

Apocrypha (probably): A Smashing Success . . .?

Oh certainly. I think most of the time, adding BB will make things more complicated, which is precisely why you'd want to plan for it this far out.

I kinda lean towards playing it straight and using Sophia, partly because I'm imagining a lot of other complexities between here and there, and partly because she sounds straightforwardly adorable. Admittedly, BB could be worth it just for Godafrid's reaction. Consider your own tolerance for juggling divergences, I suppose.
    I appreciate your input. And in the meantime . . .

Sometime after the end
    World of Light

“For the record,” Joker said flatly, “I’m blaming you for this.”

Then he leaped out of the way of a burst of flame that was nearly thicker in diameter than he was, firing his grappling gun to swing up and around the underside of a platform above in order to land atop it.

An owl descended from above him in a blur of feathers, before resolving into Nemo.

“Given the way my luck works, that’s probably fair,” the other man admitted, “but why?”

“You’re my ‘wise old mentor,’” the Phantom Thief deadpanned. “It’s your job to talk me out of doing something this stupid.”

“And you’re the boss, remember?” Nemo fired back. “Which means when you make a decision, I’m supposed to back you up.”

“Well, if you’ve got something that’ll stop him, now’s the time,” Joker growled fiercely.

(Angry, because Ren couldn’t show fear—but as every one of his attacks was shrugged off, he was having trouble feeling anything else . . .)

The statement was punctuated by guttural, growling laughter—as though a cement mixer had developed a sense of sadism—at a volume that sent spikes of pain through his ears.

Nemo’s eyes took on that quality again: the diffusion of focus, as though he was daydreaming—

(While the darkness of his pupils seemed to deepen, becoming peepholes into a yawning abyss . . .)

—and Joker began to hope, because as out of it as the older man seemed right now, he usually came out of it with a plan; and while whatever it was might sound insane, it usually worked.

“. . . Maybe,” the other Phantom Thief said at last. “It’s a long shot, and if it does work, it wouldn’t do it anywhere other than here, where so many things overlap—

His statement was cut off by a sudden tremor that nearly knocked the two Phantom Thieves off their feet. They turned to regard its source, and Joker barked, “Do it now!

“Right,” Nemo said firmly, before inhaling deeply and yelling, “HEY, BOWSER!

The king of the Koopa tribe paused in his approach, tilting his head towards the (much, much) smaller male with an inquisitive growl.

Plastering a smirk on his face, Nemo called, enunciating carefully, “Kohaku sends her regards!

The draconic turtle recoiled at the name, before shock gave way to rage.

WHAT?!” Bowser roared—literally. “You KNOW THAT—?!

[Swift Killer Style]

[Blizzard Claw Swipe]

Joker stared. Even as experienced as he was, he still only perceived the other Phantom Thief as a blur; a wisp of darkness, a glitter of ice . . . But he knew the attack used by the sound of it—the explosive crackle of ice shards erupting in the wound, spreading and piercing throughout. He’d seen Shadows’ limbs freeze off where they weren’t torn, and others broken to pieces . . .

And King Bowser rocked back on his heels, moving perhaps as many as five centimetres.

And the growl that emerged from him then made all his prior utterances seem like a lullaby in comparison.

“I’m going to send you back to her in pieces,” the Koopa monarch promised Nemo. “No—as CHARCOAL BRIQUETTES!

Nemo’s reaction was almost more of an exhalation than a response.

“Well, fu—

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries
    LOL!! XD I approve of the scene, and pray that you get to making it canon to the whole Grail Works.

Callback to Magical Amber vs the Mushroom Kingdom, woo. I mean it worked, but Godafrid was probably hoping for more from that opening.