Thread: Fate/Another Pretender: A Fun Introduction to Beast’s Lair RPing, Complete With a Free-to-Use Grail War RP Rulebook

US Friend Code
    194,434,580 - IGN Ritsuka
    Blog Entries

Fate/Another Pretender: A Fun Introduction to Beast’s Lair RPing, Complete With a Free-to-Use Grail War RP Rulebook

So, maybe I just felt disappointed that someone came here with a Grail War RP and then immediately left without putting any work into it, but I figured that it was time to offer a helping hand to the next person who comes here with that kind of intention.

Here’s the thing: If you’re new to the the RP section here on Beast’s Lair and are looking to host a game, our attention is often drawn to games that have a lot of detail. We often put a lot of effort into making rulebooks. We often go for games that have detailed rules, and are hosted much more similarly to tabletop games than the typical freeform RPs you often see on many forums around the internet. I don’t think the person who created Fate/Another Pretender ever came to Beast’s Lair, but it has all the hallmarks of what we do here; primarily a detailed rulebook and character creation through a set number of Ability Points.

I decided it was time to bring this gem back to our attention, and perhaps also the attention of any new faces who may show up around here in the future.

Fate/Another Pretender is a Grail War Choose Your Own Adventure rulebook by 3_tankista, but it has enough options available to be made into a full-scale RP with minimal adjustment.

To any newcomers or lurkers here in the RP section: Consider this your open invitation, especially if you’re an aspiring GM: Welcome to the fold. Getting people hyped about a game can be difficult around here, often being somewhat dependent on how much effort was put into the rulebook’s creation. I’m just here to help you skip that step if you just want to host a game but don’t want to spend weeks or months struggling to create a balanced rulebook, especially when one already exists that, to my knowledge, has never been used for a multiplayer RP, but which can be done fairly easily.

We usually just make google docs around here though. If you're looking to GM, don't feel like you have to make a massive png file filled to the brim with images and background art like Fate/Another Pretender, as you'll see when you open the Spoiler tabs. You can if you want to, though. It's your decision how you make your own rulebooks.

If you’re looking to create a Grail War RP, consider using this. Transplant it into your new game’s by hitting the Reply With Quote button at the bottom of this post, copy/pasting it into a new thread, and deleting this preamble, ideally by replacing it with your own, along with any adjustments you want to make to the rules provided. I would also recommend that you hit this buttonthis button in the top-left corner of the formatting tools to switch to Source Mode since the images for this unusually fancy rulebook are gigantic and will make scrolling through your post more difficult in default mode.

I’m looking forward to seeing what, if anything, comes of this. Enjoy. And if you're new here, again, Welcome to Beast's Lair's RP section!

Fate/Another Pretender, by 3_tankista — Setup

Master Creation

Servant Creation

Saber List

Lancer List

Archer List

Rider List

Caster List

Assassin List

Berserker List

Ruler & Avenger List

Additional Servant Rules

NPC Master Rules

Last edited by Draconic; August 26th, 2022 at 11:17 AM.
    Likes attention, shiny objects, and... a ball of yarn?
    F/GO Supports

I joined two years too late...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok View Post
    That makes me think of Rin as a loan shark.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok View Post
    Admittedly, she'd probably be the hottest loan shark you'll ever meet. She'd probably make you smile as she sucked you dry.

Oh dear, that doesn't sound like yuri at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Techlet View Post
    Not with that attitude.