Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [EN] Super Ancient Shinsengumi History: Gudaguda Yamataikoku

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    I wish they had at least used some basic common sense to exchange it for a cutesy nickname because it makes his embarrassment over it make no sense. Even something like Haji would have worked

US Friend Code
    The conversation with Izo getting embarrassed over just "Okada" was weird too.

Yeah finding out about that change was even more baffling, I have no idea what the thought process for some of these are

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Japanese in the Japanese meme event is scawwy
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Delastogos View Post
    Yeah, it's bizarre considering they kept Sei's Chan-Mas nickame, but dropped Hajime-Chan? This is like very basic stuff most weebs would know.
    Sorry if it sounds like I'm stating the obvious here, because it really feels like I am, but words have different usage and set different tones in different languages. Use capisci in Italian text and that's a neutral word. Use capisci in English text and you're setting either a mafioso or a memester character voice. Use amigo in Spanish or Portuguese text and that's a neutral word. Use amigo in English text and you're setting a bright, overly familiar character voice. Use moi in French text and that's a neutral word. Use moi in English text and your character is either narcissistic or making a narcissistic joke. Use Japanese honorifics in English text and you're setting your character as a terminally only weeb.

Any translation that cares about delivering character tone right will omit honorifics unless they're working a series like Steins;Gate, Lucky Star, gamer isekais, or other content where makes the characters read like weebs feels true to their characterization. I'm not a fan of chan-Mas as a translation only because it's uncreative, but it does it's job of delivering the tryhard online teenageness of Nagiko's tone perfectly well.

Do I think Hajime-chan works in English? Yes because the character is Japanese. The purpose of asking to be called "Hajime-chan" is because Hajime doesn't want to be taken seriously, so going by a silly, anime-like name does what's meant to do just fine. Do I think it's the ideal way to go? No because "Hajime-chan" feels too neutral-toned in Japanese to match the silliness of using a Japanese honorific in English. As Mami said, a nickname like Hajie or something would fulfill all needs of the text without standing out the way Hajime-chan does.

tl;dr There''s nothing bizarre here, Hajime and Nagiko are just characters who speak VERY differently from each other.

JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Yeah but why on earth would you drop Daoka? Even Americans make dumb nicknames, call him Okay or Oaked or something.
    canon finish apo vol 3

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Dropping a Daoka is a hate crime and should be tried and judged as one.

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle Delastogos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    Sorry if it sounds like I'm stating the obvious here, because it really feels like I am, but words have different usage and set different tones in different languages. Use capisci in Italian text and that's a neutral word. Use capisci in English text and you're setting either a mafioso or a memester character voice. Use amigo in Spanish or Portuguese text and that's a neutral word. Use amigo in English text and you're setting a bright, overly familiar character voice. Use moi in French text and that's a neutral word. Use moi in English text and your character is either narcissistic or making a narcissistic joke. Use Japanese honorifics in English text and you're setting your character as a terminally only weeb.

Any translation that cares about delivering character tone right will omit honorifics unless they're working a series like Steins;Gate, Lucky Star, gamer isekais, or other content where makes the characters read like weebs feels true to their characterization. I'm not a fan of chan-Mas as a translation only because it's uncreative, but it does it's job of delivering the tryhard online teenageness of Nagiko's tone perfectly well.

Do I think Hajime-chan works in English? Yes because the character is Japanese. The purpose of asking to be called "Hajime-chan" is because Hajime doesn't want to be taken seriously, so going by a silly, anime-like name does what's meant to do just fine. Do I think it's the ideal way to go? No because "Hajime-chan" feels too neutral-toned in Japanese to match the silliness of using a Japanese honorific in English. As Mami said, a nickname like Hajie or something would fulfill all needs of the text without standing out the way Hajime-chan does.

tl;dr There''s nothing bizarre here, Hajime and Nagiko are just characters who speak VERY differently from each other.
    Well, this is a japanese event and omitting stuff such as honorifics while understandable to a certain degree, it also kinda defeats the purpose because people that play this game more than casually will know these things by simple osmosis. There's a certain amount of knowledge that goes from watching anime that simply wouldn't translate to English in general and while it's nice to try to maybe lower that barrier of entry, in cases like this, it's a bit too much.

On the point of it makes sense for him to use -chan, the point is more that he feels is silly rather than anything else, doesn't it?

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    We're discussing different subjects here. I wasn't talking about audience familiarity or denying linguistic evolution, I'm talking about character tone. Osmosis brought Japanese words to one specific niche of the English language: internet speech. This means those words can and should be used unsparingly by characters who use Japanese internet speech as part of their dialogue. Hajime isn't that (95% of the time because Keikenchi loves mixing one-off internet words into an otherwise incompatible character voice for gags).

Using Hajime-chan for the "Call me Hajime-chan, no never mind, that's too much for me" fits the gag perfectly and reflects a trend of Keikenchi's writing. It's by no means a bad translation, as I said in the first post. It's just not a scene where this Keikenchi staple was being used in the original.

JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Hold on, I've got it. The ideal translation of Hajime-chan. Haji can be construed as having religious connotations and is therefore right out. The point of Hajime-chan is to give a cool dude a cutesy nickname. Hajime has three available parts for nicknaming: Ha, Ji, and Me. Ha makes you think of mothers or laughter, not quite the right balance of embarrassment and flirting. Ji makes you think of old people and gamers, still not the right vibe despite the Virgil jokes. Me works out, but it's bland on its own. It needs nicknamey spice, like repetition.

Therefore, the ideal translation is Meme.
    canon finish apo vol 3

..................sure, why not

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    It's what Keikenchi would have wanted.

The building drop distribution for this event is actually fucking terrible. There's so indication until after you select a servant who drops what and, as if motivated by nothing but malice, some moron decided that of course there won't be class advantage for most of the building mat nodes. Make it make sense

- - - Updated - - -

EVEN WHEN I DIDN'T KNOW HOW THE GAME WORKED I WASN'T DOING 12 TURN FARMING, WHAT THE HELL IS THIS???

US Friend Code
    laughs in space ishtar

ರ╭╮ರ

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Remember that Hektor's advice is stupid and All-Berserker parties genuinely work in occassions.

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle
    Haha Musashi go Brrrrrr

Blog Entries
    Just got to the Izou name joke. It literally makes no sense with the way they translated it.

Okita literally just says his name a bunch of times. Why is there a question of whether Okada sounds better than Okada?

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Reign View Post
    laughs in space ishtar
    Ishtar needs two Castoria slots with no material bonus, Chacha/Nobuzerker/Hijikata it is.
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    ladies, he's single
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.

US Friend Code
    Oh for some reason I thought this event lasted 2 more weeks but it ends on the 27th