Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Avalon le Fae Synopsis

I might have missed it in FGO, but anyone else notice the statement that Da Vinci's lifespan is reaching its end?

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Huh, Grand Saber. I kind of want her to be an Ortenaus-style costume for Saber instead of a new unit. Funny how Oberon doesn't even have a blurb. Cool to see how a lot of this stuff ended up staying the same.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Base View Post
    I might have missed it in FGO, but anyone else notice the statement that Da Vinci's lifespan is reaching its end?
    That's old news, aside from her in-story death flags it gets mentioned in her Mats entry and her Swimsuit Profile.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    Funny how Oberon doesn't even have a blurb.
    Check again, he's between Cu and Tom Tit now. I can't believe I skipped a whole character, even if he only gets a line.

By the way, will the raws be posted up somewhere after a certain time?

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    The raws I have are colorless and only cover the text pages, but here they are.

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One asterism42's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skull View Post
    I will steel-man Nasu and say that "species of supernatural being being used as an individual's name" is at least entirely consistent with what we saw in LB6 with most of the Fairy folk so I wouldn't say it was a "mistake" so much as an odd creative choice.
    LB6 also has Tam Lin being the generic term for fairy knights, so
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstorm77 View Post
    He's just putting the bone of his sword into other people until it explodes and lets out parts of him inside them.
    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerEmiya View Post
    Genderswaps are terrible, but I think I and other people would hate them less if Fate didn't keep ignoring actual heroines throughout history and folklore. Like, why bother turning Francis Drake into a woman when Ching Shih and Grace O'Malley exist?
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    Fate Zero is just Fate Stay Night for people who think Shirou is too girly
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    I think Alex IV can eat Goku.

Nasu spoiling Kazuradrop future appearance like it's nothing special LOL.

Nice to see this translated btw, seeing how it went from small ideas to full story.

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle All fictions's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Catastor View Post
    The character list seems to have most of the actual events in the game with some parts remixed and some one-liner sequences removed. Like I don't remember any humans trying to help the fae out from dying during 6.3 for one.
    Ir wasn't removed, it's there, you just missed it:
    Quote Originally Posted by LB6 Section 26: An End
    Narration
    In a barbershop, a human boy comforted a frightened fairy girl.

[...]

Narration
    The few survivors of the Round Table Army welcomed the fleeing fairies and repelled the Mors.

Narration
    In truth, the soldiers of the Round Table consisted mostly of the wounded,

Narration
    and the huddled fairies steeled themselves and protected them to the bitter end.

[...]

Narration
    A girl who, a while back, was liberated from the western ranch, made her way back to Gloucester after much hardship.

Narration
    To save the downtrodden fairy—her master, who had needed her.

Narration
    Stepping into the burning city, reuniting, hand in hand, they disappeared into the cracks of the earth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    Punching out some nerd doesn't make you a better magus.

Huh, guess I forgot about that part, thanks for the reminder.

Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl, þonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    LB6 also has Tam Lin being the generic term for fairy knights, so
    I thought that was just a dub thing?
    "Here's a bangin lil' tune about takin' on The Man!"

(Check out my Super Special Awesome Servant Compendium here)

US Friend Code
    It's on merch released in Japan so someone on that side was probably the one who came up with it. But it doesn't appear anywhere in the Japanese game text, no.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    But all merch with English text uses the same English text as the game’s localization (with the one exception of Ivan Grozny vs Ivan the Terrible). Tam Lin is the official Aniplex term until we’re told otherwise.

US Friend Code
    Oh for sure, I'm sure the NA game will use it when we get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Oz1337 View Post
    Nasu spoiling Kazuradrop future appearance like it's nothing special LOL.
    Well there is that event BB says she wants to do in the near future . . .

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle Castellan's Avatar
    It's not Tam Lin unless you knock up a Scottish woman and get turned into a sentient fire, otherwise you're just a sparkling changeling.

(Technically 'changeling' is the term for an Aos Síde child left behind in the real world rather than the kidnapped mortal but the kidnapped mortal lacks a snazzy one-word descriptor.)

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Catastor View Post
    By the way, will the raws be posted up somewhere after a certain time?
    Full scans exist now.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    So, with the character list and the alpha draft in the OP, the only thing left untranslated in Avalon le Fae Synopsis is the finalized plot plan. This is a document written after Olympus's release. The last step before the script you can find in-game. I tried translating it back when the full scans in the post above came out but gave up because
    A) It's incredibly boring to go over when so much of the content is so identical to what appears in-game
    B) It's about 2.5 times longer than the character list and alpha draft combined.

That said, there's still a lot of value in the finalized plot plan. A lot is shared but not everything. During the process of writing the actual script, new ideas appear, as Nasu already mentioned to Famitsu that Redra wasn't part of this plot plan; or ideas present in this plan disappear from the final product, such as all of Fionn's screentime. And even if the story is identical, some things are more clearly explained in the plot document, as Tenshi demonstrated by pointing to how the plan clarified the level difference between Gareth and Woodwose.

Anyways, NA Avalon le Fae debate inspired me to give this another shot. It went as poorly as the first time. Treading repeated ground is still a drag. But I don't want this project to return to the limbo, so the alternative I'm taking is to post minimally sized updates whenever I feel up for it. This way I keep the crumbs of progress piling up and make it easier for someone to take over if I ever give up on this. Anyways, enjoy the first chapter.

Spoiler:
    Chapter 6 - General synopsis

# Regardless of how its humans and fae are, Britain is a beautiful land and must be portrayed as such. A place no one would want to leave.
    → That's what will bring out the special feelings when it finally crumbles.

# The capriciousness and offensiveness of the fae are modeled after the humans. The Wind Clan in particular, since they developed information transmission, meaning they need to be strong and scary in a more modern way. Because they're the only ones with an internet-based society in a world stuck in the medieval civilization level.

# I'm only explaining what's going on with the fae here, but when writing the actual script, I must also depict the human side, no matter how briefly.

# 10/24/2020 update: Added a B-plot starring Mash. Added new characters: Habetrot, Boggart, and Wryneck.

# 10/26/2020 update: It's not looking like I'll manage to fit the Mash plot in under 300kb, so I'm reconstructing after removing one-third of it. Removed the Wryneck arc.

00 - Chaldea~Storm Boarder

# The title card here will use the same model as the previous main story chapters.

They detect an abnormality coming from the British Lostbelt which is bound to involve all of Earth.
    Chaldea takes the Storm Boarder to clear the British Lostbelt.
    The Storm Boarder breaks through the wall of light surrounding the British Isles.

While the Storm Boarder lands on the lulled ocean next to the West coast, they take a good look at the isle floating on it and the Yggdrasil-like Fantasy Tree (empty on the inside, burn marks on half of it).
    (The vessel can’t enter the island because approaching it causes all machines to stop or malfunction)
    (Holmes and Nemo, the Pan-Human Servants, try to enter the isles but their Saint Graphs start to disperse. They discuss how the simplified summons for combat could still work but operating regular Servants will prove difficult.)
    → Upon disembarking, Mash’s Ortinax also goes inoperative.

Fujimaru’s party rides the Shadow Boarder to the shore and then needs to disembark on foot.
    Starts with only Fujimaru, Mash, and da Vinci, but at the shore, Mash’s shield (the Round Table) reacts.
    They discuss how it seems possible to summon one Servant but no more.
    They argue about how they shouldn’t be able to summon a Pan-Human Servant but try anyway.
    // The twist will be that only Round Table-related characters can be summoned. Morgan being a reimported product gave them the immigrant permit.
    Tristan appeared (because Cornwall is Tristan’s homeland).
    Tristan will be an ally this time.

01 - Misty Cape~Cornwall

# From this point onward, the game will stop using the default title card, replacing it with a unique picture book-flavored title card. I’ll be naming the chapter to sound like fairy tale titles in a picture book’s table of contents. Only city names, land names, and character names.

The coast is covered in thick fog. As dense as the fog in Pacific Rim’s intro.
    “This is looks nothing like the Cornwall Peninsula I know”
    The difference frightens Duke T.
    Amidst that, they encounter the Moss. Followed by the first battle.
    // Make each Moss about as strong as a boss. After all, all fae are natural spirits of Earth, meaning their average is on Yu Mei-ren’s level. Here begins a hellish battle against FGO’s first trio of mob enemies with Break Gauges.
    The party moves on, astounded at how strong the Moss were, but fail to leave the coast, and they progressively lose track of their names and objectives with time, until the three go on separate ways and exhaust themselves (Tristan never strays away from his Master, but he also exhausts himself).

Later Oberon appears to help and you can hear his conversation with Blanca, the moth.
    On the verge of Fujimaru losing consciousness, he says “Don’t you mention you’re human” with a wink.
    (This is where Mash and da Vinci stray away)

When Fujimaru opens their eyes, they’re in a tent made of grass.
    Cornwall: A village where many different fae gather.

“Are you awake?”, asks Mash… except nope, it’s Arthuria Caster.
    Fujimaru reflexively says “Mash?”, and Arthuria rolls with it, going by the name Mash.
    Fujimaru gets called Lysander (Oberon put this nametag on him).
    “Hello, I’m here too…”, sadly said Tristan.
    “My name is Loves Isolde… No, that’s not it… Tristram… I think.”, he introduces himself. “I get a feeling I am Sir Lysander’s follower.”
    Lysander, Tristram, and Mash are
    A Wind Clan faerie (nameless) joins them as a temporary party member to show them around the place (because she’s the weakest in the village, status-wise).
    They’re in a village of fae from all 5 Clans discounting the Wing Clan.

They’re weaklings who ran away from their respective Clans, and the village will soon disappear.
    The fae think Lysander is a stray faerie and welcome them as one of their own.
    Since Lysander doesn’t know anything, the fae pity how much they forgot and kindly explain Britain’s political balance.

- Exposition of the 6 Clans and their conflicts
    - Queen Morgan’s politics (oppression)
    - “We are weaklings gathered together for being hated”
    - But they fear nothing because everyone will soon be wiped out by the upcoming Calamity.
    Lysander’s party befriends the fae.
    Tristram is nervous, in contrast to Lysander and Mash’s lack of a sense of danger.
    Sir T: “They may seem like weakly creatures for you two…”
    Sir T: “But fae are terrifying by default. Even that nameless faerie could defeat three of myself.”, he points out how high faerie stats are (exposition directed at the player).

Friendship blooms even then. The nameless faerie gets along great with Lysander and Mash.
    Mash says “If not having a name makes you this sad…” and there she lends her her original name, Arthuria. Arthuria hated her role so she gave away her name very easily. The nameless faerie takes it as a “treasure” and keeps this secret only to herself. // The player camera doesn’t reflect the fact that Arthuria gave away her name here.

However! Everything changes when Lysander lets it slip that they’re human.
    The faeries go into a frenzy, capture Lysander and Mash, throw them in a cell, and start mistreating them as a pair of treasures.
    Excessive hospitality. The fae start telling each other “There’s only two of them, there’s not enough for everyone.”, “We need to split them into even pieces so everyone can have theirs”.
    Lysander shudders but has no means to escape. The fae are so abusive and violent that they can’t think of them as the same people from a few days ago.
    When it’s finally the day to split Lysander into pieces, the fae get into a stupid argument over nothing and start killing one another.
    Cornwall village becomes the scene of a tragedy.
    This leads to the Nameless Faerie, the only one that didn’t go violent, letting Lysander out of their cage and guiding them outside of the village, to the national highway at the end of the fog.
    The trio + the nameless faerie run away from the village turned into a feast of carnage.
    The more they proceed through the path of the foggy mountain pass, the more debilitated the nameless faerie gets.

“You can find a big field past this hill.”
    The nameless faerie’s words are kind but she ultimately turns Moss and attacks Lysander.
    (She’ll say something like “I took you this far because I wanted to have all for myself, obviously!” but she’s making things up on the spot. She doesn’t mean any of that.)
    Out of other options, the two fight back.
    After the battle, the faerie-turned-Moss just stands there without crumbling, as if she wanted to say something (she’s saying “thank you for giving me a name” to Arthuria).
    The two can’t bring themselves to deliver the final blow, so Oberon shows up with an “Excuse me”.
    He first appears delivering the mercy strike to the faerie-turned-Moss with one rapier swoop.
    The nameless faerie disappears in tears, saying “Why did it turn out like this? I was seriously trying to help you.” → In the finale, the only light praying for Arthuria’s safety inside the Abyssal Worm will be this faerie who received the name Arthuria.

Oberon’s introduction scene, in a sense. Lysander remembers the last person they saw in the foggy cape.
    “My name is Oberon. Faerie King Oberon. Cool, aren’t I?”, he delivers with a shy and handsome smile.

Oberon announces that he is a Pan-Human Servant, that he was summoned by the land, and that he had been waiting for Chaldea.
    After a quick infodump update from Oberon, the conclusion is that should get out of the fog before thinking about any other problems.
    With the fog growing thinner, Lysander clearly remembers who they and Mash are.
    LysanderFujimaru runs through the hills pulling Arthuria by the hand.
    Upon climbing the hill, Fujimaru gets to see the fogless British Isles. Chapter ends with a British Lostbelt visual showing the twilight sky and Camelot the Sin Capital distant in the background.

: 2D assets

Foggy coast
    Cornwall community (I keep calling it a village, but it’s actually on a refugee camp level)
    Foggy woods
    British field (the central field as seen from the Cornwall region)

: Sprites

Generic fae of each Clan (Fang, Earth, Wind)
    Nameless faerie

: Battle backgrounds

Coast, foggy and fogless variants
    A foggy variant of the already existing forest background

: Unique enemies

Moss (small)

Intermission 1 (Mash POV)

Mash lost her memories and passed out on some faerie hill.
    A wolf is nearby to protect her.
    That’s when a trio of faerie merchants appear.
    (Horses can’t be used, so the fae are pulling the cart)

Faerie: “HAH, I knew it! I figured we could find one or two around.”
    “Now we can survive the winter!”
    “What’s all this iron she has? Is she with the Round Table?”
    “Who cares? Whatever she did before, she already forgot.”
    “Yeah, if she doesn’t know her name, there’s nothing we can do to help her.”
    “Since she has no home to return to, we’ll be nice and give her a new place to live.”
    “As our product, that is.”
    Mash is put on the cart and taken away.

: New assets

Wolf sprite (Cu Chullain Alter’s familiar)
    Faerie trio
    Last edited by Comun; July 24th, 2023 at 11:28 AM.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six OnesFleetingGlory's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Poor Wryneck got short end of the stick. No wonder Aesc's story varies.

Looking back, Woodwose is an intriguing character imo. He is one of the more rational members of Fang alongside Boggart. Fang clan is savage and barbaric by nature, something he embraced, yet is ashamed of after Wing clan's massacre. To rein that in, he established restaurants and table manners to temper his clan's predatory tendencies. After his supposed death, Fang clan could be seen relapsed into their violent behavior. Wryneck's arc could've been used to highlight Aesc/Morgan's relationship with Wryneck/Woodwose.

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle Link0306's Avatar
    Very interesting stuff, thanks for the translation! The poor nameless fairy, I just knew she was lying about trying to take Guda for herself...

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    Wind clan bringing cancel culture ™️ to fairy Britain is actually amazing. One point for me in my obsession with the love theming! Wryneck's arc being cut actually makes a lot of sense considering how it felt like Mash's fragments felt way too short in part 2, but it's a pity.

The rest is confirming things I vaguely suspected- Oberon being the one who gave Guda the nametag and Hope lying about how she actually wanted to take Guda