Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Finishing the translation of Lord El-Melloi II Case Files volume five.

Thanks for the translation Kneenaw! Much appreciated!

Mesopotamia's King Gilgamesh_maximaster's Avatar
    Mesopotamia's Throne(Viña del mar, chile)
    Is almost Ready you can do it THanks for this *.*

Chapter 5, Part 5

Chapter 5, Part 5

──The train opened its eyelids.

It was a sight that could only be described as such. A giant eye appeared at the front of the Rail Zeppelin, which was supposed to seem normal on the outside, even if the inside was strange.

No, it was Mystic Eyes.

The Mystic Eyes that were inserted were the Noble Colour of “Flame.”

Emitting a power a hundred times greater than that of the Mystic Eyes, the mystery emitted from the giant eyes burned away the branches of the ice tree as far as one could see.

When compared to the "Flame" Mystic Eye that Yvette used in that ice and snow forest, it was clear that it surpassed that by an order of magnitude. Both its terrifying firepower and range exceed Yvette's counterfeit magic eye, which should be comparable to the Noble Color, by a ridiculous margin. It is like fireworks and missiles. This rail zeppelin possessed such immense mystery that it is foolish to even compare them.

Another anomaly, then, was happening on the rooftop.

“Ah… Ah…”

A low moan spilt out in front of me.

Even I couldn't believe it. It seemed as if Faker's magical eye - the Noble Color of "compulsion" - had once again overpowered us. However, I had been ready this time and I broke free as fast as I could.

“This, is,”

Karabo shook his head as well from the place where he was blown away. This was definitely the moment that she would overwhelm us with her evil eye. As a warrior, Faker was definitely far above both of us.

Then, why is this the result?

For some reason, the female Heroic Spirit was bleeding profusely.

"...You…"

The edge of her lips erupted with bubbles of blood as she held a rip in her armor.

It was my own scythe that did it. The full force of the blow was still resonating in my arm. The blow that ripped through her body diagonally would not spare her from serious injury, no matter how servant she was, and yet this female Heroic Spirit stared at her master sternly without even kneeling down on one knee.

"You've been waiting for this moment, haven't you? You were waiting for the moment when I would turn to my Mystic Eyes."

"...Hah, I knew you would turn to your Mystic Eyes."

My master whispered behind my back while holding that Mystic Code in his hand.

Nazar Boncugu.

A talisman with an eyeball motif that protects against Mystic Eyes.

Master had spoken of the power to see. He said that what manipulated Karabo seven years ago and in this incident was hypnotic mesmerism using the power of seeing, and that the stronger the power of the Mystic Eyes, the more irresistible that hypnosis would be. Now Master had used it in reverse and had briefly incapacitated Faker.

"Of course, it is not my magic, but rather Miss Adashino's."

Master spoke with the shattered Nazar Boncugu in his hand.

The eyeball amulet broke, as if it could not withstand the intensity of the magical power.

Heartless was motionless.

Karabo, whose sternum was likely broken, was falling back.

Master spoke on a rooftop which was temporarily scoured by the Mystic Eye projection of the Rail Zeppelin against the Child of Einnashe.

"Let me ask you one thing. ...One thing rubbed me the wrong way, did you, perchance, develop doubts before you died?"

"...Tch."

Suddenly, I remember.

At that time, Faker told Master that all of Iskandars’s subordinates had only ever put their own interests first. That was back at the back of the train, the first time she called out Master to do battle.

"If I follow your thinking, it would not surprise me in the least if you came to a disagreement with the other followers of Iskandar while he was still alive. It would be more natural, given your proclivities. In fact, it's quite conceivable that you could have challenged all of them, testing if they truly wished to be his followers. If that is the case, then perhaps he would have wanted you, as well as your brother Hephaestion, to meet me."

"...Fuck, you,"

The woman said in a hoarse voice while Master smiled faintly and bitterly.

"Don't you dare speak of my lost king, you fool who merely played soldier for half of a month!"

Master's voice now sounded terribly earnest.

"It can't be lost. The shadow of that king. Even if the kingdom built by the great king is shattered, even if the generals kill each other, even if it is forgotten by all, and even if he is erased from history, its meaning will not be lost. That is why I am here now!"

"Sophistry!"

Faker shouts.

Her broken sword roared.

I should have been alert enough to catch it, but my own body had started to grow lethargic.

This was fearsome endurance. What kind of a heroic spirit is this? Even though she had received wounds that would have killed even a non-human, Faker was still alive and well. This was the resilience of the body double of a man who had conquered the known world.

"The magus has sealed my sword. Your disciple has sealed my magic. And you sealed my Mystic Eyes. Yes, I admit that. Each one of them, though not all your acts, show some kind of talent as a leader of man."

One by one, as if breaking off of them, she spoke.

“Then, let me see you survive from this point on.”

When she swung her broken sword, the sky was torn apart into the void.

The majestic figure that appeared with black clouds from within that void was the Gordian Wheel.

At last, the female heroine had invoked her Noble Phantasm. Shooting through the void, were hoofed hooves of lightning. The chariot-drawn bone dragon raged, ready to destroy any enemy.

"This dragon species is a result of the serpent worship of Dionysus."

"When the king entrusted me with his chariot, I controlled it by magic, just as he controlled his chariot by the divine authority of Zeus."

Master would tell me this later.

It is said to be a relatively widespread myth within the Greek culture of the Age of the Gods, as, for example, the witch Media of Colchis vanished on a dragon chariot after killing the treacherous Jason. That is why Master must have been able to discern that this Heroic Spirit was a sorceress.

“Is this fine, Master?”

“Haha, it is your choice,” smiling innocently, Heartless jumped into the chariot.

As soon as Faker swung the reins, the chariot arced wide, running alongside the rail zeppelin. Once they had gained distance, a pause was the only thing between now and death. This was the true value of a Heroic Spirit that could crush the entire train, let alone us.

“That… what do we…?” I looked up and groaned to myself.

Karabo's black keys would not be able to reach them. And as long as it is located above the flank of the Rail Zeppelin, it would be out of range of the great Mystic Eye projection seen earlier, and moreover, it is unlikely that Olga Marie's Great Magecraft would be able to be fired again.

“...Gray, it is all up to you.”

Master said that and sat down on the rooftop.

“Master?!”

“I leave it to you. I leave my entire life to you.”

Master nodded his head to affirm that again.

The great Mystic Eye projection dealt a severe blow to the Child of Einnashe.

Nevertheless, the staff watching on had not the slightest sense of superiority that they had struck a blow.

That was to be expected.

"Expelling the Mystic Eye,”

with a thud, a transparent tube was ejected. Inside the tube, a Mystic Eye which had just used its Mystery, was cruelly transformed into a black eye.

“...”

Neither the conductor nor the auctioneer lets a word slip. However, the meaning was clear.

In just one use, the Mystic Eye had been burned out.

How many magi would scream at the sight? Even if some of them would have a stroke, it would not be a surprise. A rare Mystic Eye, which is comparable to a bag of precious stones, was used up in a single shot of the projection.

The conductor bit his back teeth, and cold red blood dripped down to his chin.

It is no wonder that he hesitated to follow the Deputy Manager's instructions. Although he was trying to protect his former master's train, he had to use up the collection to do that. If he could have just died right now, then he would have chosen that end for all of them.

However, the mission does not allow it.

However, the mission was to protect this train, which was the last mission entrusted to them. Even if the former manager had nothing more to say.

“Continue, I’ll load the Mystic Eye,”

The auctioneer whispered and inserted a new Mystic Eye tube into the recess.

The conductor no longer let out even a single grunt.

From beyond the burnt-out tips, new branches of death could be seen avalanching in. The Child of Einnashe has not given up yet. Just as they have not given up on themselves. Then, they knew what they had to do.

"Confirmation of the completion of Mystic Eyes. Start the second projection sequence. Connection with the Mystic Eye is complete. Analysis to be completed in 3...2...1..."

The reason why he does not exude sadness in his voice is that he is a professional.

Again, he pulls the lever he does not want to pull.

“Great Mystic Eye Projection!”

The Great Mystic Eye, glowing eerily, quickly killed the Icy tree branches that surged towards it.

Together with the train's Mystic Eye releasing once more, the chariot drew a beautiful arc across the night sky.

It was like a rainbow, I thought. If magic were visible to the eye, I am sure a brilliant light would have been reflected on my retinas. My ears, which had been ‘Reinforced’ beyond their limits, even heard a voice from the chariot.

"If I... hadn't died when I did... that schism wouldn't have happened...!"

It was a scream.

It was a lamentation.

It was the inescapable stigma that was carved into the souls of so many Heroic Spirits.

I suddenly remembered a dream I had yesterday.

── "Why did you seek this? Why did you not let go of it? You knew it was a dream, so why didn't you let it go?"

──"Answer me, Iskandar!"

I wonder which Iskandar that was a cry to.

Was it to the real Iskandar or Faker herself? I felt it was both and yet neither.

And then, as if to forget such vectors, her beautiful lips began to weave a mouthful of words.

"My allegiance is to the King! In this moment, lend me the name of Thunder!"

The release of the true name. The quintessence of the treasure that Faker had never ultimately used in previous battles.

If so, there is only one thing that can counter it.

“...I am going to have to break through,” I muttered to myself.

Cool the mind. Stop all unnecessary functions. I am but a cog in one Great Mystery. I become part of this mechanism and I sharpen my precision. I reach a place far away from fear and hesitation and I emerge into a trance-like state of consciousness.

Ah, if that is so, then this must be the sound that starts my operation.

"Gray… Rave… Crave…Deprave…"

The incantation overflows. My self-suggestion brings me even deeper.

There is enough mana. Being on a leyline, together with the presence of the Rail Zeppelin and the relentlessly approaching Child of Einnashe, provides more than enough energy for me to take in. In this environment, there is no doubt that my Noble Phantasm can be deployed.

(But... will it reach?)

Can I defeat that chariot?

No matter how well I can wield the shining spear Rhongomyniad, and even if Faker is in a class that represents fakes, the true power of my opponent remains the same. Can I overcome such a monster?

Despite these doubts, my lips, which have become automatic, speak the predetermined words.

“Grave carve… for me…”

"Please calm down," then, a voice spoke up.

Supported by Caules, the blood-stained old man walked towards me. The blow received from the Faker seemed to have been more serious than expected, and his open wound revealed the whiteness of his fractured sternum inside.

(Karabo...)

I cannot speak.

I'm already in a trance, and the Add deployment process has disassembled the scythe into a pillar of light. On the other hand, Karabo's eyes were clouded white, yet they were still shining as if dazzling.

"...Oh, I'm surprised. That is a noble phantasm. To think that it could be wielded by a human."

Has the impulsive personality from when he was fighting the Faker already disappeared, or was it because of my self-hypnosis that Karabo's tone of voice had returned to the soft one I knew?

And now Karabou is advising me gently and quietly.

"It seems that this spear is filled with prayers. Thirteen condensed forms of prayer."

Is that a sight seen with his Mystic Eyes?

I don't understand it myself.

But the old man smiles kindly and speaks.

"Listen closely to the voice of the spear. Listen to the way someone prayed a long time ago. You should be good with that."

(The way someone prayed a long time ago...)

What is this? This is…

What is this? Why…

Why is it that Add's voice can be heard from within the pillar of light?

"Yihihihi! The way that things ought to be has come! Hey, Gray! All this time you have been slumped up in the corner of a room hiding behind your hands! You have never really thought about what you wanted to be, have you?"

(Add…)

Karabo blinked several times at the sound of the raspy voice.

Regardless, Add continued.

"But hey, it's time for you to ask yourself! What do you want?! Ah, if you want to do something here, you need to say it! If there is something you want to protect and want help with that, no one will know unless you say it!"

(Add... you...)

I felt pain in my heart for some reason, as this person was terribly talkative.

The only friend I had back in my hometown asked me that question. I remember that when I was a child, I was often called something like "stupid gray," which made to cry. The longer I was there, the less I was called that, and it completely disappeared after I decided to follow my mentor to London.

“I…” My voice spilt out.

I'm in a trance, so I'm terribly awkward. I don't know what my true feelings are.

Even so, I will do my best to put this into words.

"I want to protect my master and everyone else. I want to be able to protect myself."

“Hihihihihi, I hear you loud and clear, stupid Gray…”

"──Suspension of pseudo-personality. Magical power collection rate has exceeded threshold value. Initiating second stage of limited release."

Add's voice switched back to his usual automated voice.

The automated voice then moved on to something I was hearing for the first time.

"Seal Thirteen - Round Table Decision Start!"

“...”

His words reminded me of a legend I was told long ago.

Originally, it is said that the holy spear was not a weapon.

It is also said that the original Mystery was brought about when humanity took over as the spiritual leader of the world. The planet was then covered in a texture of human-focused 'physical laws', and several anchors were thrust into the earth to maintain that thin texture.

Rhongomyniad, the spear that shines to the farthest reaches of the world, is one such anchor.

This anchor, created to sustain the world, was placed in the hands of a knight-king who sealed it in the image of the king and his knights.

In other words, the seals restrict the 'power' of the Holy Lance. Thirteen seals.

The true Holy Lance can only be released in a situation where multiple prides and missions can be accomplished.

The number of votes required for a complete release is seven.

Now, inside the Holy Spear, a round table vote is declared.

“This is the battle for life." ──Approved, Kay.

“This is the battle against a stronger foe." ──Approved, Bedivere.

"This is a battle for humanity." ──Approved, Gaheris.

"This is a battle for truth." ──Approved, Agravain.

“This is not a battle against spirits." ──Approved Lancelot.

By no means was it all of them.

Only five, not even half.

However, the five seals that had just been unleashed were now gushing out from the spear with a light I had never seen before. More than anything else, the fact that so many prayers were being acknowledged and encouraged supported my heart.

(──This, this means.)

I make up my mind.

"Phase III limited release is now in effect."

Along with the new automated voice, I, in a trance, had moved on to the last sentence.

“Grave… for you…”

Sing. Praise. Compose.

Ancient Mystery, may you now perish.

Sweet mystery, may you return to nothingness.

In the distance, I saw Faker swinging the reins.

"Ride forth, Hecatic Wheel!"

The chariot turned into a shooting star with the moon behind it.

What an intense and beautiful star overtaking the Earth. It goes without saying that the amount of magical power that gushed out was enormous. Should the assault of the Anti-Army Noble Phantasm hit the earth, it would have easily created a crater or two.

A fierce star, clad in lightning.

With that, I slowly raised my spear.

“Holy Spear, release.”

As I looked up at my own spear, it occurred to me.

How dazzling this light is!

How my heart is boiling!

Did every knight in the old days have such a burning heart?

The chariot was now right in front of me. The lightning was so fierce that I thought my eyeballs were being burned out of my head. As if in response, the holy spear in my hand converged into a purer light. Converged to the extreme, the light pulsated and seemed to be about to break out into a frenzy.

Come on, scream.

Let loose with a roar.

“From the farthest ends, Rhongomyniad…!”

A twisting light rushes through the air.

The scorching heat and the lightning was lukewarm compared to this. A torrent of light shot out in a straight line from the roof of the Rail Zeppelin into the night sky, annihilating all matter. Wherever you are, heavenly country. Wherever you are, my light will shoot you down.

Inside the light, the Hecatic Wheel had also disappeared.

The light that shoots down even stars is soon absorbed into the arms of the night, as if it were destined to be.

"How did... this...?"

I whispered to myself, stunned, as I unpacked everything.

Normally, I would have been comatose. In fact, I think I was unconscious for a few seconds. Perhaps I had been unconscious for tens of minutes or hours without realizing it. If I could, I would have fallen down and slept like a log. It wasn't only my body that was screaming, but also my magic circuits that had been overworked. Exhaustion was settling in my brain and nerves, and I felt like I was sinking into mud up to the top of my head.

But I couldn't collapse just now.

I was convinced that if I collapsed here, I would not be able to get up for several days. There were many things that needed to be done before then.

“Turn inside out.”

It was just before I released the Noble Phantasm that I thought I heard such a voice.

That is why I could not by any means fall down until I confirmed that my surroundings were safe.

I moved my whole body. My five limbs, which had been lighter than feathers a moment before, seemed to have had their blood vessels replaced with lead. Still, I crawled awkwardly and miserably across the rooftop.

“Ms. Gray!”

On the other side, Caules was there waiting for me.

In the arms of the bespectacled boy, limp and helpless, the old man had lost his strength.

“...Karabo...”

I didn't need to hear the rest of the boy's trembling voice. No matter how well-trained the agent's body was, there was no way that this old man could survive having his breastbone crushed. No, perhaps he may have exceeded the limits of his brain and body when he put his magical eye back into his eye socket. I wonder if he was even able to see the appearance of the spear Rhongomyniad activating.

Was the last view he saw the past or the present?

A voice called out from beside him.

"He helped us until the very end. …Even though, I could do nothing for him."

“...Master.”

What am I going to do?

I had never felt something like this before, and yet I couldn't stop the hot sensation from running down my cheeks. I had received something very precious, and now I would never see the person who gave it to me again. It was the first time for me to face such a fact, and I did not know what to do. I wanted to turn to my master's side, but I just couldn't do it.

Apparently, the train had passed beyond the range of the Child of Einnashe.

The train did not open a new Mystic Eye, and instead, the horizon was gradually changing color.

Master took a small breath.

“We have dragged out the auction for so long. It’s about time now.”

“Ah, hah…”

I am sure.

I will remember this color for the rest of my life.

Whenever I see similar colours in the rest of my life, I will remember the memory of having received something precious at that time. Whenever the past comes to the surface like a bubble, I will feel the bitter warmth of the past.

As if it were an ephemeral dream.

The sun had yet to show itself, but the faint scarlet of the morning glow was faintly blotched across the tracks.

All that remains now is the epilogue and the afterword, which are fairly long in their own right. However, the main story of this book is over and all that remains is the conclusion. I hope to finish it sooner rather than later, but you know how things are. Being so close though means that we can't get impatient now.

As always, say if you see a mistake or anything else.

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle All fictions's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Congrats and thank you for the translation!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    Punching out some nerd doesn't make you a better magus.

ayo thanks for the translation goat

Awesome! Great job, Kneenaw! Thanks for all the hard work!

Thank you for translating

Thank you very much for the translation!

Thank you for translating!

Epilogue

Here it is, the epilogue. Sorry for the wait but it came eventually. I will translate the afterword at some point, it's short but a bit more informal language so it is interesting to translate.

Tell me if you see any mistakes, hope you enjoy.

Epilogue

What followed can be divided into several episodes.

The first thing to talk about would be Caules Forvedge.

I returned and both myself and my master ended up being admitted to a hospital that the Clock Tower operates for about a week. It's a place that combines modern medicine with magic, and it seems to be mostly used by magicians. Due to the confidentiality issue and the need for specialized knowledge to suppress side effects, it was said that it was inaccessible to ordinary people anyway.

Thanks to that, I recovered quite a bit in just a few days.

The hospital was clean and modern, but the treatment of serving boiling green medicinal liquid contrasted that. Nevertheless, the effect was undeniable.

During my visit, Caules appeared.

He brought fragrant fruits and told me about how the incident was deemed an internal dispute among the Dead Apostles, and since the regulars of the Magic Eye Auction had their familiars sealed at a crucial moment, unnecessary information never spread. However, it seems that the clash between the Rail Zeppelin and the Child of Einnashe had been widely detected which did end up causing a stir between magi across the world.

Sometimes, when I struggled to find words in our conversation, he would casually look at flowers or scenery to avoid awkwardness, making it very comfortable for me even though I'm not good at socializing. It was somewhat mysterious that there were magi like him.

In the middle of that, he suddenly brought up a topic.

"Ah, um, I heard that Doctor Heartless told you about my sister?"

In the white hospital room, Caulis scratched his nose, looking embarrassed.

"Ah, w-well, I'm sorry."

"No, it's fine. I'm not hiding anything."

He smiled and put on his glasses, his eyes looking distant.

"My sister had much more talent as a magician than me. Everyone who knows the Forvedge family acknowledges that. Even after I have become a little better now that I have met the professor, I still wonder what would have happened if she had been the one who met him… things like that are what I worry about,"

His words were similar to the disguised Heartless.

Heartless called it possession. It was the type of transformation where the person themselves enters another body. However, I felt that there was something different about it. Maybe it is the desire to be different.

"But I liked being Caules," he had said.

Slur. The district operated by the Department of Modern Magecraft.

In reality, it was more of a barely cobbled-together street than a district, but Caules seemed delighted to mention its name.

"I never expected an imposter of me to appear, but I'm glad I came here anyway. I'm glad I got to meet the professor and I'm glad I got to see everyone. I’m glad that it was me, and not someone else."

He pats his chest confidently.

Lying down on the bed, he looks at me with kind eyes and says,

"Everyone, including Flat and Reines, are waiting for your return. Especially Svin, upon hearing that you were injured, he was so agitated that he almost abandoned the rest of his special lectures at Mystile. We all had to desperately stop him from charging into this hospital as a half-transformed beast."

“...Was he trying to finish me off?”

“Hahaha,” the boy laughed cheerfully.

He picked up an apple slice that he cut himself and then left with the following words.

“Thus, you must get well soon.”

A few days later, I was discharged.

There were still places that hurt, but apparently, all the treatment that could be done in the hospital had been completed and I was asked to vacate the bed as soon as possible. It feels harsh, but it's more like me to be active than to lie in bed, so it was fine.

Once the paperwork was done, there was a familiar figure in a coat standing at the entrance of the hospital.

“master.

“Compared to you, I was only slightly injured, but we ended up being discharged on the same day.”

"That's not true at all," I say but he shakes his head and stands next to me.

He didn't seem to need a wheelchair, but he was still using a cane. He seemed to be struggling to walk, but I didn't offer to help him. He probably wouldn't appreciate it.

The bitter smell of a now familiar medicine was still faintly lingering.

“It’s time to return to Slur.”

“Yes,” I found myself nodding eagerly at my master's words.

We took a bus to Slur Street.

Master told me that since the Mystic Eye Killing glasses were so expensive, we needed to save some money. I followed him obediently because it felt like I was experiencing his usual demeanour again. However, I had to make an effort not to hum thoughtlessly.

We turned a few corners, passed through the barrier that keeps out the general public, and turned into the patchwork-like street.

However, something else made me stop.

A far eastern native dress was fluttering as it came from one end of the street.

The outfit was called kimono, and it depicted a crane. I remember hearing in the master's lecture that in Japan, because the voice of the crane carries far and wide, it is said to be a messenger from heaven. I believe the lecture continued to talk about how in contrast, in Europe, birds symbolize "awakening", and that there are several allegorical stories and coats of arms featuring a crane holding a white stone.

It was Adashino Hishiri.

"Ah, I heard you were being discharged today, I'm glad we could meet."

"Don't play dumb. There's no way this is a coincidence."

"Ara, you're still using a cane?"

Hishiri ignores the reply and pointed that out.

Perhaps Master had fully anticipated this, as he just snorted lightly and tapped the ground with the cane.

"I'll probably need it for about another week."

"I see. Take care of yourself. ...Today, I came to give you evidence I have had in my care."

With that, Hishiri handed over a small box.

After Master confirmed what was in the box, I felt like crying once again.

Inside was the holy relic that the master had paid such a huge sacrifice to recover - a faded, crimson piece of cloth

He carefully put the lid back on and placed it in his suit pocket.

"Thank you."

"The incident from seven years ago has ultimately gone unpunished," Hishiri continued.

"The Church too, at this point, would not want to rehash that incident and admit that the person they put in charge of the investigation was manipulated by the culprit. It would damage their reputation."

That would certainly seem to be the case. It seemed that a major reason Heartless, who was a former dean, was not being held accountable by the Magic Association was that he no longer held any position in the Clock Tower. Let alone for the ordinary police, it would be impossible to investigate an incident which was vested so deeply in the magical side of the world.

From darkness to darkness.

Once more, another incident goes by.

"Once all the verifications were over, it seems that Yvette L. Lehman was also released," Hishiri softly surveyed the old and new street mixed with brick and concrete.

Hishiri quietly looked around at the street, which was a mixture of old and new, brick and concrete.

Then,

"There's something I wanted to ask you,"

She broached a question to my master.

"What is it?"

"In terms of the incident. You would know best about the holes in your own deductions, wouldn't you?"

"Why did he summon the Servant?"

When Master responded immediately, Hishiri smiled.

"Indeed. A Ghost Liner is certainly a valuable thing. For a magus, it's not surprising to think about summoning one, even if it costs their life. However, it's not like there aren't other valuable things to obtain. Mystic Eyes are one of them. To put it simply, the risk is too high for the return. Also, if your reasoning is correct, Heartless was manipulating Karabo during the incident. If so, he should have been able to foresee that a nameless body double would appear if he summoned Faker using Iskandar's artefact."

The logic made sense to me, too.

Karabo was able to read the thirteen restraints of Rhongomyniad. If that were the case, it is hard to believe that the relic of Iskandar would not also reveal the body double to him. Heartless, who had planned so ingeniously, would naturally confirm at least that much.

"There's more to this incident, isn't there?"

Master nodded slightly.

"You said that the reason you were so desperate to save me was because a Lord dying would be an inconvenience. If that is so, then you have plans for me in the future. Ah, we will meet again then, surely."

After all, Master was also convinced that Heartless and Faker had survived. They may have suffered some wounds as they backed down there, but that last spell I heard would have kept them alive.

After saying that much, Master suddenly asked back.

"I wanted to ask you one question, too."

"Go ahead. It would be rude to expect you to answer alone."

Hishiri urged, and after clearing his throat, Master continued.

"I don't think you missed the importance of the Nazar Boncuğu. However, if you wanted to keep it from evidence to support your theory, then it would have been safer to seize it and claim that there was no such thing. At first, I thought you were encouraging someone else to deduce correctly, but that is too roundabout. Besides, I was in a coma at the time, if I was the one you were testing."

"...I see. I assume you already have a hypothesis then?"

“More or less,”

Master whispered, looking across Slur Street.

The sky was pleasantly clear today. Although it was winter now, the sun was shining and it felt warm for the first time in a while. It was not an appropriate description for the two magi nor for the content of the conversation, but it seemed close enough if one thought of it as a temporary temperature that would be lost sooner or later.

"At first you said that your trip on the Rail Zeppelin, was for your own personal reasons. What if we consider that to be... only half of a lie? What if you had wanted to draw out someone in particular by deliberately opening with a false theory?"

"The incident was very unexpected for me."

She said, as if to just make it clear.

Roughly speaking, though, your hypothesis is correct. That is why, when you offered to cooperate, I immediately accepted, and did I not cast a spell on Miss Trisha head as well as on the Nazar Boncuğu?"

"Yes. I'm grateful. Otherwise, I would have suffered greatly. It may very well have cost me my life."

"I saved your life, did I?"

“Hindsight is 20/20.”

Curtly, Master's lips twisted.

The look on his face was amusing, or so I thought, after he let out a little laugh, "to answer your question, it is a very similar situation to yours and Miss Reines'," Hishiri responded.

Her kimono waved in London's winter, as she smiled as she always did.

"...Dr. Heartless is my brother-in-law. We were both adopted into Norwich."

"Oh, my. If you are looking for my brother and his apprentice, they have already left the hospital."

Reines looked up with a wry smile.

The hallway was made of linoleum, with a faint scent of disinfectant.

Her eyes were glowing red with amusement. Since this hospital is a magic hospital, they don't even use eye drops. Nobody, whether a doctor or a nurse, is bothered with that level of care.

"You, I wonder if anyone has ever told you that you have bad timing?"

"I-I am not here to see either of them!"

"I'm sorry. Since I came here as a follow-up, I misunderstood the situation. In any case, there was someone who provided me with an extra supply of valuable secret medicines, just as the hospital was about to confiscate the remainder."

Almost laughing, the girl's shoulders trembled.

"It seems that your help in the case was also very helpful."

"The Animusphere do not wish to owe you anything."

Olga Marie Asmleit Animusphere, a girl of about 11 years old, combed her smooth silver hair with her fingers as she answered.

Then she turned around and quickly bowed her head.

"I am grateful to Trisha for what she did for me. Or at least, to what Lord El-Melloi was trying to convey on her behalf."

"My brother would have asked you to put on a II," closing one eye, Reines spoke her mind.

After gazing away for a few seconds, Olga Marie switched the subject.

"I was actually going to ask him about seven years ago, but my father wouldn't even see me."

“Ah,”

Blinking at the unexpected change of subject, the girl from the Department of Astronomy continued.

"My father had high hopes for the Grail war, yet ended up giving up on it. I believe that If the Grail War had been what he expected, things might have turned out differently. ...It's a time I don't know, a world I don't know."

"You're more of a poet than I thought."

Olga Marie's cheeks flushed.

She turned my gaze away and looked out the window and saw something unexpected reflected in the glass.

"I don’t mind it. So, it’s all fair and square now, right?"

Reines was reaching straight for her hand.

We are both the heirs of a Lord, after all. Since we are both aristocrats, I don't think it's a bad idea to take this opportunity to deepen our relationship.

"You are very different from your older brother."

“Well, that's because we're not blood-related.”

Olga Marie took a small breath as the older girl twisted her lips in amusement.

Then she shook the outstretched hand.

"Yeah. I think you and I would get along well, regardless of your brother.

“By all means, as long as we're of use to each other.”

At these words, Olga Marie also smiled confidently.

After parting ways with Hishiri Adashino, there was a considerable commotion inside the main academic building of the Department of Modern Magecraft.

The reason was that the students of the El-Melloi classroom, upon spotting their professor, greeted him with great excitement. I was also happy to see that Master's popularity was clearly visible. However, he dismissed the attention of the students with a grim disposition, saying that he was now physically impaired.

The revelry continued until we finally entered his private room, up the stairs from the hall.

After confirming that we had successfully locked the door behind us, Master sat deeply in his chair, keeping his cane nearby. At the same time, I heard Master groan loudly as he checked to see if any students were trying to force their way through the windows or ceiling.

“This is Reines’ fault…”

Apparently, in the name of the flight magic and reimbursement for work done while she was in the hospital, plenty of paperwork was forced upon him. The bitterness on Master's face is probably due to the fact that she is aiming for the very edge, where his wounds will not worsen.

“Um, if there's anything I can do to help-”

"No, it is fine. This is the work of a Lord. I'll take care of one thing at a time."

He said stiffly and picked up a fountain pen with a griffon design.

The scratching sound of a brush coming over paper continued for a while. I decided to clean the room for the first time in a while. Unlike my apartment, this room is basically tidy, but if I am away for more than a week, dust will accumulate.

While lightly patting here and there with a feather duster, I suddenly spoke up.

“What does it mean to be ‘adopted’ by Norwich?”

Of course, it is about Hishiri.

After a long time at his desk, Master spoke up as he signed his name.

"Norwich has always been known as the 'daddy long-leg' house, as they would support gifted children. Usually, they simply help to fund tuition, but there has also been a pattern of outright adoption. In the Clock Tower, there are a good number of people with the Norwich surname, and usually for this reason."

With his eyes downcast, he continued.

"It was Norwich that was the driving force behind the establishment of the Department of Modern Magecraft. That is why the department's second name is Norwich."

“Ah…”

Thus, I finally got it.

"Then that is why Heartless was the former dean of the School of Modern Magecraft..."

“That is likely so. Thus, Miss Adashino must have been the one who ended her association with Norwich once she became a registered member of the Department of Law. I have heard of that happening many times before, since there is constant factional disputes within the Clock Tower. Norwich generally doesn't chase after those who leave."

Putting down his fountain pen, Master folded his hands across his neck.

He stretched them out, then pulled out the small box Hishiri had given him earlier. Putting it in his desk drawer, he locked it with a click and chanted a short incantation.

“The lock is completely useless, but it's better than being locked with a strong key made by a thief. It would have been best if it had been left in this private office, as it usually is.”

The words were spoken with a wry smile, mixed with the lament that if he had kept it safe, there would never have been an incident in the first place.

Then, he takes out his cigar case in short order.

“Master. Even more cigars…”

“I have only had this one today. After all, they didn't let me smoke in the hospital,” with that, he closed one eye.

"Promise?"

"Yeah, I'm a man of my word."

I used a cigar cutter to cut one off, then lit it by slowly searing the tip with a match. I knew that method suited Master.

He takes his time to inhale and fully enjoy the smoke, and then he puffs it out.

Perhaps because he had said he would have only one case, he was able to take more time than usual savouring it, before cutting another cigar.

"I went through the process while I was in the hospital. I officially withdrew my place in the Fifth Holy Grail War."

At last, I heard those words. They were words I had been wanting to avoid for a long time.

Thus, I said something unnecessary.

“Why…!?”

"Originally, it was my way of settling the score," Master replied.

"Iskandar was the Servant who should have won the Holy Grail War, and I wanted to prove it. I wanted to prove that Iskandar was the Servant who should have won the Holy Grail War, and that the only reason he lost the Fourth Holy Grail War was because he was an inferior Master."

The cigar smoke felt terribly bitter.

Master's words sounded just like the ones I had heard on that train. Thoughts that he had surely been thinking about for a very long time. Thoughts that have been the groundwork of Lord El-Melloi II's existence for the past ten years.

"But I have had enough of this. This is my own personal reckoning, not Iskandar's. It's a regret, but it's not one that I should cling to. As someone who has been touched by him, and as a Lord of the Clock Tower, this is something I must settle with. ...Besides,"

‘besides’, he added after a breath.

"To be able to take a shot at that other guy is something I'll be proud of for a long time to come."

It wasn't the usual, troubled smile.

It wasn't the fearless, scowling one he turns on his enemies.

The master had a clear, almost too pure, joyful smile on his face.

I was too dazzled by his words and his smile. I felt that this person deserved so much more, but when I saw that smile, I couldn't say anything.

“Gray,” once more, Master spoke to me.

"I'm sorry, but I'm sure I can't do this all on my own. I want you to fight with me."

Right then, I could not respond.

I rubbed my face, scratching it. I wanted to look the way I thought I should look, just for this one moment. Even though my body was not doing exactly what I wanted, I tried my best to keep the corners of my lips tight.

“...If, I am good enough…”

I ended up with a face that looked like a tearful smile and said that.

At that moment, the door, which was supposed to be locked, opened, and two small figures fell down in a flurry.

"Yes! Me too, me too!"

"Hey, Flat! Don't get ahead of me!"

I don't need to tell you who the two entangled students were.

"Flat, Svin."

"I just finished doing all sorts of things in my hometown of Monaco! Why, the dealers at Van-Fem's Casa casino were a formidable foe!"

"And I finished my special lecture at the First Department! Oh, and welcome back, little Gray! There is a sweet, spicy, gray aroma that throbs within my chest!”

Both of them stood up with great vigor and snapped to their feet as if in reverence.

Perhaps realizing this, Master did not reproach them and instead offered them the same thing.

"Can I ask you both to do the same?"

"By your leave, Professor!"

“Of course, Instructor!”

Flat and Svin were the first to insist.

Then, I looked at the other person on the other side of the door.

“...Yvette.”

"Haha. You may have heard by now, but I've been released by the Department of Law, and I'm ashamed to admit that I've only just returned home! Well, then, since you're talking about something important, as both a spy and an aspiring paramour, would it be wrong for me to want to ask you about it? How important is what you are talking about? You see, the Mystic Eye that I was supposed to have won at the auction was cancelled because it was used in the Great Mystic Eye Projection.”

The girl quietly comes out and fiddles with her pink twin-tail hair.

“Normally, I feel that she would have been subject to total denunciation, but since she had already admitted to being a spy for the Meluastea faction anyway, it was no surprise for Master. Flat and Svin must have heard about what was going on, as they did not show any signs of denouncing her either.”

Maybe this is just another day in the life of a Clock Tower magus.

"Ihihihihihihi, this is going to get noisier still!"

Ad's voice struck at my earlobe.

Then,

“Ah, that’s right,”

Master turned to the students.

"Flat, I'll ask you to write a remorseful letter regarding how you secretly planted a wiretap function in Caules' primitive battery. Also, I am tripling your homework during your trip home so that you can finish it before your next class."

"Are you a demon, Professor? It is rather cool to be called a demon god, isn't it? Oh, and how about the new Japanese Oni deck for the upcoming Heroic History War card game, there are so many kinds of demons to choose from, including Ibaraki-douji, Shuten-dōji, Hoshikuma-douji, wind demons, water demons, and even invisble demons! Next time, I'll have my Japanese friend import the latest cards for me..."

“...You're right. I understand your remorse now. Shut up for a minute."

"No, Professor! Don't come near me! Don't come near me with your fingers wagging!"

Immediately, Ad's prediction came true.

With a real racket, Master's 'reinforced' right hand lifted Flat's face just barely off the ground.

─ ─ This story goes on for a little while longer.

Another week or so later, it was night.

It was the middle of December. The city was already in the Christmas mood, and I could always hear jingle bells somewhere. I used to find the sight of so many people crowded together terribly eerie when I first arrived in London. The crowds of people who got into the gray buildings every day at the same time looked like a line of the dead on their way to the graveyard.

Now... at least, I don't feel as bad.

Plush balloons float by, cheerful music plays, and people on the street seem a little happier than usual. I've come to accept it that way. I will probably never be able to completely fit in, but I have come to the point where I can look at the unfamiliar scene with a sense of calm, knowing that I don't have to reject it.

Suddenly, a particularly lively tune caught my ear.

It was a particularly vivid scene in London before Christmas.

It was apparently a parade. People in costumes and fancy dresses were parading in a procession, and they danced beautifully against the backdrop of an orchestra-like band. Behind the slow procession, beautiful fireworks were often shot off, and the crowd cheered.

(......New department store?)

The grand parade was apparently to celebrate the opening of the department store.

The graceful white building was now revealed in a space that had been under construction for quite some time. I was in the mood for yet another London landmark, and thought vaguely that this must be a great success as an opening.

But the parade was not the only reason I stopped.

It was because a figure with a violin case was waving at me at the entrance of the department store.

".....Mr. Melvin."

"Hi," with that, the young man with pure white hair laughed.

Since he is a noticeable person by any means, people around him turn to look at him simply because he is on a public street. I needlessly worry that this is not good for a magi, for whom concealment is a virtue.

“Um, why are you here?”

"Ha-ha-ha. This is my mother's business."

Melvin's cupped his chin at the building behind him.

"The department store, sir?"

"Yes. Tonight is the inauguration party, and I was feeling well enough to go out, so I just wanted to say hello. Even magi need to have a public profile, you know."

It was on a different scale than that of a magus, which made me gulp in surprise. I should have already learned enough at the Mystic Eyes auction, but when it was an event that took place in public, it was a different sort of surprise.

"I am just about finished, would you like to join me for some tea?"

“No, sorry... I'm going to do a big cleaning of my master's room today."

In my hands were the tools for the job.

In particular, I bought shoeshine brushes and a cloth with the money I made from my part-time job.

This is the first time I picked out and purchased my own products, so I was very nervous and bit my tongue when I made the purchase. It's okay, though, because I'm going to use it for my own boots too. I was also thinking of getting a little help from Master, since he finally got rid of his cane the day before yesterday.

“If that is so, then we must go now then.”

“....I-I understand.”

The forcefulness of the situation pushed me over the edge and I was forced to nod my head.

Melvin, who had quickly stepped in beside me, walked down the busy Christmas street for a while, and then, in a tone as if he were beginning to hum, he cut in.

"Yeah, I just wanted to talk to you for a minute."

"Talk to me? I don't think I am interesting,"

I was honest.

The boy cleared his throat as if to say, 'That's what I like about you,' a comment that made me feel like my teeth had fallen down my throat.

”By the way," the young man said.

For some reason, the look on his face made me think of those demons I had read about in picture books.

"I wonder if you have ever heard of our relationship with the El-Melloi faction?"

"No. We don't talk about that sort of thing."

Although there must be plenty of debt, I had never heard of the detailed contents of it.

"I see. Well, then, that's just great. Originally, we have been working on a fifty-year plan to rebuild the damaged source Crest of the El-Melloi line. I should mention that the expected regeneration rate of 50 years is too high of an expectation for anyone other than my family. However, in addition to that, I also have Weaver Velvet's collateral - the Velvet family's Magic Crest - in my custody."

Magic Crest

An indispensable element for a magus, which has played a large part in past cases.

“Why would you have that?”

“It's quite simple. When he was made Lord of El-Melloi by Mistress Reines, his Magic Crest was taken as collateral. And who better to take care of it than me, the tuner?”

Ah, I almost shouted.

I had heard something along those lines several times before. It had come up in conversation before that Reines had taken something important as collateral from Master.

But the details were new to me.

"Is that a valuable ...... Master's Crest?"

"No? To put it bluntly, it has almost no value as a Magic Crest. The Velvet family has only been around for three generations, and the original is not very good. It's the type of Crest that doesn't have many side effects, but also doesn't have much magic engraved on it. However, this is the only Crest that corresponds to the Weaver Velvet in this world. In terms of not letting a magus betray you, it's the best collateral. It's like taking away their reason for living right from the start."

It would be, given the nature of the Magic Crest.

A symbol of that magus, passed down from generation to generation from their ancestors. It is another organ. The reason why they are so particular about lineage is because only their own descendants can pass on the Magic Crest. The Crest is an indispensable component for Master to become a true magus.

And no matter how much that man despairs of his own talent, he has not given up.

Reines must have absolute faith in her brother.

From her point of view, she knows that Master would never betray her.

(......Maybe,)

maybe, I think.

I guess that's how it all began.

“...”

Strangely enough, there was no stirring in my heart.

Even if that was the beginning, it didn't change the master and Lainez that I know now, or their relationship, because it seemed so natural to me.

"Hmmm. It doesn't shock you too much?"

"I guess."

I said to myself, as if somehow it was someone else's problem.

The young man who had been peering at me hummed. He sounded an equal mixture of very bored and very interested.

I remained silent and continued to walk for a bit.

At some point, the number of people on the street had dwindled. It was because we were approaching Slur. Soon it will be a place of magi. It is a buffer zone, a place where reality and magic meet.

There was a somewhat lonely Coke vending machine.

Potted flowers lined up in the window of an old-fashioned apartment.

Contradictory yet harmonious, the smell of life melted in the dark yet temple-like night.

Suddenly, I asked a question.

"Mr. Melvin, why do you call him Waver?"

"Yeah? Why not?"

Melvin tilted his head, as if it was rather strange to be asked.

"He will pass the name of Lord El-Melloi to someone else one day. They won't be the II, or even the III, but rather the true Lord El-Melloi. Then, won't it be lonely with no one to call him by his true name?"

I blinked at him as he said this in the most serious manner.

The young man spoke to me in a polite manner, as if he were teaching me addition.

"The Fourth Holy Grail War had a profound effect on Waver. It's the reason I even took notice of him."

Melvin says passionately under the winter night sky.

“However, even the previous nineteen years must have been an important time for Waver, for without that time, he would not have been able to become the man he is today. Likewise, if he had not been able to change, he would not have been able to become the man he was today. Likewise, if he should lose the title of Lord, then it would be as important a time for him as ever. Or at least, that's how I see it, and isn't that enough?"

The time leading up to, and during, the Fourth Holy Grail War.

And the time when he will cease to be a Lord.

Ah, that’s it.

That’s right.

Something I had lost sight of because the influence of the Holy Grail War was too great. Something I had forgotten because I took it for granted that he was a lord. Even though this self-proclaimed brute is a bastard - perhaps because he is a bastard - he seems to arrive at the obvious things that everyone else overlooks with ease.

I was a little frustrated.

But there are things that even I can say.

I took a breath, “Even so, to me, he is my Master,” and replied.

"For Mr. Flat, he's a professor, and for Ms. Caules, Ms. Luvia, and Mr. Svin, he's a teacher. For other students, too, I think it's the same. I'm sure that will never change."

I hoped that I was able to stand up to him, if even a little.

Melvin looked at me with a mysterious expression on his face.

"You are absolutely right. Yeah, I knew you had a slightly different angle on him than I did. Perhaps, though, we are saying the same thing."

"'Isn't that a contradiction?'

"Of course not. A person's number of faces increases as the number of people who see them increases, doesn't it? Conversely, if no one sees you, you have no face at all."

I didn't mind the peculiar logic.

"It was a pleasure to meet you. Here we are."

With a wave of his hand, Melvin spun around. Soon his back was covered in darkness, and even my eyes couldn't see him anymore.

Suddenly, I looked up at the night sky.

Before I knew it, snow had begun to fall.

The white crystals, which were gradually gaining momentum, made me anticipate that there would be a significant pile-up in the morning.

I wanted to see Master as soon as possible.

I couldn't resist wishing upon the snowflakes that were falling - and the moon that was shining faintly amongst the clouds. I walked a little faster, but eventually, my legs slowed down as I headed directly for the street of Slur.

Please.

Please, may he have a future that will reward him as much as possible──.

US Friend Code
    Crazy that after all this time we finally have all of Case Files in English. Thank you, and thanks Az and TwilightsCall too!

Quote Originally Posted by Kneenaw View Post
    Here it is, the epilogue. Sorry for the wait but it came eventually. I will translate the afterword at some point, it's short but a bit more informal language so it is interesting to translate.

Tell me if you see any mistakes, hope you enjoy.
    Thanks for your hardwork! I'm excited to see this series finally be fully translated

Fucker of the Kirei Kirei_fucker69's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    No
    US Friend Code
    Phone broke, account lost
    Holy shit, we're finally, completely, 100% done. Just need to wait for someone to make an epub or pdf and El-Melloi II will be over with. Thank you so much for finishing Volume 5, I'm sure it must have been difficult not only translating it but also having to remain consistent with an earlier translation effort considering you had to take over half way through a book

Quote Originally Posted by Kirei_fucker69 View Post
    Just need to wait for someone to make an epub or pdf and El-Melloi II will be over with.
    I'll be making the PDF after the afterword is translated and posted

Thank you for translating

Thanks for the translation!

ah i'm very much waiting for this!!!!!!
    if there's a epub or pdf on volume 5 before the afterword is posted is also much appreciated����

Afterword

Here it is, the last piece of the puzzle for all 10 volumes. Now it's up to whoever wishes to compile it all together. My work is done here. All I'll ask for I guess is if you have time, then read my bad fanfiction.

Enjoy reading. Volume six is here https://forums.nrvnqsr.com/showthrea...ng-From-Book-6

Afterword/commentary
    As if it were the deep sea, drown in this world!

Yuuichirou Higashide

*There are spoilers for this volume here, so those who have not read it should promptly read it to the end.

...You have read this book, breathed a sigh of wonder, and are now reading the commentary. Alternatively, for those of you who are reading from the commentaries without reading, this is your last warning.

Weaver Velvet, aka Lord El-Melloi II, is a resident of the "Fate" world (i.e., TYPE-MOON's world, or Nasuverse in foreign parlance).

His Initial appearance was in the book "Character Material" released by TYPE-MOON. Along with several other characters who had yet to be seen, the book featured a mysterious magus that none of us had any idea about, and that we could only tilt our heads at.

A few months later, he appeared in "Fate/Zero" as Waver Velvet, a bratty little kid.

If you read "Fate/Zero," you will understand his story easily enough. However, if you just follow his character in "The Case Files of Lord El-Melloi II," you will find a few places that will make you scratch your head.

In the first place, what is a magus? What is magic? Exactly what is magic and what is not?

Why is it that Lord El-Melloi II tolerates magi, even though they are horribly inhuman?

This is because of the great river (not Fujimura-san) that flows through this world, which comes from the place of the Type-Moon world known as the root. (Translation note: Taiga can mean great river in Japanese.)

Servants hardly appear in the story. Combat itself is not even given much importance.

The key emphasis is on "magic" and "mystery".

If any reader twists his/her head and says, "I don't get it," try playing "Mahoutsukai no Yoru" (PC game), for example, or reading "Kara no Kyoukai" (The Garden of the Sinners). If that is not enough, recall the various magical descriptions in the "Fate" works, ask your friends, and then twist your head.

Of course, you could also do a quick search on your phone or computer in front of you. You'll find out that an endless number of such idle stories are being told by fans (including me).

If you go that far, you are already as good as lost in the depths of the ocean.

You should be able to understand how the text of "Fate/Grand Order" that you casually passed by, or even a small word said in an interview in a magazine, is firmly connected to the world of TYPE-MOON.

Of course, you can enjoy most of the "Fate" series without seeing or knowing about it. You can enjoy the dynamic action of the mythological heroes, the back-and-forth banter, and the fascinating characters to the fullest.

However.

To paraphrase a misleading metaphor, it is akin to swimming in the ocean. If you dive a little deeper, you will witness colourful fishes swimming leisurely and beautiful coral reefs.

But even in the deep sea, where light does not reach, there is beauty in the darkness.

The Case Files of Lord Elmelloi II is a work in which one has the pleasure of peering into the beauty of darkness.

Most of the characters in the book are irrepressibly inhuman, irrepressibly mad, and sometimes even treacherous and murderous in the pursuit of their goals, and yet there is a mad sincerity about magic.

And since the world of TYPE-MOON is not free from magic at any time, as long as you read this work carefully, you will be able to enjoy the works that will continue to appear in the future 70% more than others.

Incidentally, Caules Forvedge, who is a character from "Fate/Apocrypha", has made a full appearance in this volume and has achieved great success (from his point of view), but of course, the Holy Grail War that broke out in "Fate/Apocrypha" is not taking place in this world.

Nevertheless, Caules joined the classroom with the idea that "if something similar happens, it will most likely end the same way".

....Well, so far, this was something I had predicted to some extent when I created the character of Caules.

I did not expect that even the relatives and children of the Red Masters - who were treated as though they were "invincible men like Camba and Quino from Desperado" - would come into the classroom. ......

Even though they had a small part in the comic version of 'Fate/strange Fake' (Original story: Ryohgo Narita/TYPE-MOON, manga: Shizuki Morii), I never thought I would get to see their faces at all…

Anyway, I'm sure Makoto-san is fine. I'm sure Makoto-san will make good use of them!

(TYPE-MOON's speciality: "When in trouble, turn to Makoto-san.)

Afterword

Makoto Sanda

──The train journey comes to an end.

The Mystic Eyes fall asleep and close their eyelids once more.

But this is not the end.

It is only a brief respite until the eye opens again to gaze upon a new mystery.

We apologize for the long wait. Here we are with the fifth volume, "The Magic Eye Collecting Train (2)".

I recall that we were under a lot of pressure to deliver the book during the winter because of the content of the first volume. Furthermore, the amount of foreshadowing in the first volume grew beyond my expectations, and even though I divided the book into upper and lower volumes, the text volume of the second part alone was more than a whole volume. This book was an all-out effort for me, just as it was for El-Melloi II.

It has been a long four months, especially for the fans who have loved El-Melloi II over the years. I hope you have enjoyed it.

Now, let me start with a few words about the contents.

As the title says, the story this time is about the intricacies of mortals, servants, agents, and magi, with a focus on Mystic Eyes, one of the most important tools in the world of TYPE-MOON.

I really wanted to depict the extent to which servants and vampires are superhuman in the eyes of ordinary people, as well as the extent to which it is possible for human Mystic Eyes, magic, and martial arts to resist them. The result is a case with a large number of factors, but I would be happy if you think that by reading "The Case Files of Lord El-Melloi II," you will find that not only Fate, but other TYPE-MOON works will become more interesting ( of course, I would be happy the other way around too!). I hope you will enjoy the book as much as I enjoyed writing it!

In addition, in the first volume, I wrote that "from this point forward is the latter half of the entire series". Those of you who have read this book will have a rough idea of what I mean. The case that El-Melloi II has to tackle and those who are deeply involved with him have been unveiled. Even though only a part of it has been revealed, it is clear that the same problem will come back to haunt him.

Therefore, this last volume is a fierce battle worthy of the opening of the second half of the series.

The word whodunit is both an element of mystery and a blade that is pointed at all characters. Once that blade is pointed at you, everyone is hurt, everyone is conflicted, and everyone is forced to think about their own values. That is how it is.

Perhaps my values are reflected in answering the following words.

When is a person most beautiful?

I think, at least about one of them. I think that people are most beautiful when they are wounded, when they fall down, when they get covered in mud, and when they get back up again.

So who was it that really fell down this time?

Who was covered in mud?

Who was the one who still got up?

As the author, I would be more than happy if you, after reading this book, suddenly think of such a thing.

Last but not least, I would like to thank Mineji Sakamoto for his beautiful illustrations (especially the young Olga Marie, my favourite), Kiyomune Miwa for the research that formed the basis of the work, Yuichiro Higashide for reviewing Caules and even for his gracious commentary, I would like to thank Hikaru Sakurai and Ryogo Narita for their help with the setting, as well as Kinoko Nasu, OKSG, and the rest of the TYPE-MOON staff.

I hope to see you again in the summer.

November, 2016

I'm currently reading Susan Greenwood's "Witchcraft: A History: The study of magic and necromancy through the ages".

US Friend Code
    Thank you so much! Your work was greatly appreciated

Thank you so much Kneenaw for your translation of this volume

with this, the series has finally become fully translated!

PDF: drive dot google dot com/file/d/1J43Ujkw7X3J60Oqf14XC7tbJ43yJMpMi/view?usp=sharing
    EPUB: drive dot google dot com/file/d/1qwvmRMWvyGR92z-PRr2zeJl31cmMOB0l/view?usp=sharing