Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: For 2006 standard Fate 2006 was good

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Tell me if you want your thread moved to the other board.

Yeah, maybe it would be better.

HSTP 500 Internal S ervant  Error aldeayeah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The idea of combining elements of UBW/HF into Fate wasn't bad per se but they didn't do their homework and it was a mess. I'll try to elaborate in another post.
    don't quote me on this

It was mess because you already knew the VN(I remember seeing you talking about the VN on animesuki forum), for newcomer, it was very good. And actually it's the most important.
    I never seen many complain from newcomer about this part except Sakura outfit.
    And actually, once again, on animesuki, these episode received very good rating back then.
    Many of the LOTR novels fans hated how the movie handled the story but I not make the movie writing wrong because an adaptation don't need to please the original source material fans.

Blog Entries
    The outfit wasn't a problem. Sakura's involvement in the main story was never clarified, and THAT was a big problem.

They had to communicate to new watchers that Sakura was Rider's master, a Grail, that she and Rin were sisters, and her grudge against Rin. They failed to do that - no, they barely even tried (there were a couple unvoiced miniscenes of Sakura mourning Rider and Sakura being taken away from the Tohsakas, and that's all)

And so the Caster miniarc became little more than fanservice for the VN readers.

Precisely the general lack of detail and explanations in the DEEN anime was one of the main reasons I got into the VN and Beast's Lair. It's still dear to me, but it was flawed.

episode 14 was the coolest shit ever though and nothing will change my mind.
    Last edited by aldeayeah; November 11th, 2022 at 08:33 AM.
    don't quote me on this

Quote Originally Posted by aldeayeah View Post
    Precisely the general lack of detail and explanations in the DEEN anime was one of the main reasons I got into the VN and Beast's Lair. It's still dear to me, but it was flawed.
    the problem you point is commun to most of the VN adaptation (Key adaptation or Shuffle have the same problem, some thing are just hinted)
    And I don't think it was fan service for VN fan, it was promotion, the anime was also made to promote the VN, if it have been too obvious about the link between Sakura and Rider or Sakura and Rin, many people would have just not read the VN. but just giving hint make the people want to know more and push them to the VN.

Many fan of the VN would say even more than the anime spoil the other routes and it need to be skipped.

And actually, it give the the anime one of the thing he do the best, mystery. By exemple, I love the fact Archer identity is just suggered and not told.

Typemoon wasnt Shonen Jump, i doubt they had the pull to create a anime just to advertise a VN, thats just incidental based on how we absorb marketing, not a design goal

Every anime adaptation is made to promote new the original material, not just shonen jump because most of the anime alone lose money. There is a reason why a manga was released in same time as the anime and it was clear the anime was made to promote the future release of realta nua.
    Don't forget that 90% of the anime lose money.
    The 2006 anime was

And actually Fan became one of the biggest commercial franchise so, I doubt they didn't think to that.

Because I want to recall you that 90% of the anime

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chevkraken View Post
    It was mess because you already knew the VN(I remember seeing you talking about the VN on animesuki forum)
    The sins of 16 years ago come back to haunt me. I suddenly feel so old.
    don't quote me on this

I told 'em, I told 'em. Bugrit! eddyak's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    FSN 2006 was definitely below average even for its time. Just look at the sheer number of animations they skimped out on and tried to cover up with "but the VN references!!!".

I think Archer vs Berserker was the one fight they didn't slip a gigantic still shot into with speed lines to pretend they were actually animating things. You know a project is in for a rough time when literally its first episode has Gate of Babylon so sloppily animated we were getting golden splashes off Saber's face, and a stillshot instead of an actual fight between Lancer and Saber.

But yeah, the music was top notch.
    FGO Supports
    NA
    JP

Gate of Babylon in the first episode... Have you ever seen the serie...
    For the Lancer vs Saber.
    Go watch Naruto, bleach, One Piece, Precure from 2006 or even Shana or zero no tsukaima.
    It was far below FSN for animation standard.
    There was better animated show (from kyoani, bones, sunrise, madhouse and manglobe) but the majority was way worse.
    I want to point that 150 show were released in 2006 and only maybe 20 had better animation than fate 2006

And once again, the FSN anime had something nearly any anime of this time had, lighting effect...

Once again, it just need to read review from 2007 on myanimelist and everybody praised the graphic of the serie.

And all the anime community back then gave it very high rating.
    Myanimelist 8.20
    Anime news network 8.30
    Animesuki, between 8 and 9
    Top 70 of the best anime serie of all time in japan on a 2006 poll.
    Oh and in japan, anikore community (japanese MAL open in late 2010) score it 77/100 in 2011(best anime from spring 2006 ans un the top 10 of 2006) while unlimited blade works by Ufotable only receive 69/100 at its release.
    Even now, if UBW have a better score (87/100)

It's below Ufotable UBW serie rating now. Fate 2006 is seen as very good (85/100) and is still ranked as the 10th best serie of 2006.

And you forget the godly animated saber vs assassin and kuzuki vs Shirou from episode 18 and 19, the Caster vs Rider, the Gilgamesh vs Saber and Shirou vs Kotomine from the last episode ?
    Even the 2 Rider vs Saber have pretty good animation.

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Gate of Babylon in the first episode... Have you ever seen the serie...
    I presume eddyak is talking about the prologue depicting Saber and Gil fighting at the end of the Fourth Grail War.

I have reseen it, yeah there is gate of babylon. It was not clear it was that.

And there is a reason to it. To not spoil.

Gil face is even hidden, like on the second opening.

Showing clearly his power would spoil.

And actually, the animation of this fight is very good.

It's far better than in ufotable UBW where the fact Kotomine have a servant is spoiler in the 3rd episode ( I hate the fact UBW serie spoil everything. Gil is show early, Ilya say she is Kiritsugu daughter)
    Last edited by chevkraken; November 12th, 2022 at 10:21 AM.

全力後輩 - Zenryoku Kohai Altima of the Gates's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GarlandGreene View Post
    Nostalgia sure is a hell of a drug.
    This. Rather than judging it by its own merits, its either seems like some like it because its the only Fate route adaptation(a few of the same types who'll take unfair low shots at UBW and HF), or that it was the first thing they saw.

I was there watching it from the start, and there were good moments and good music, but it was kind of a mess when you do judge it as an adaptation. It'd be like if I said Gatekeepers was an underrated masterpiece instead of just a fond memory and good time that I loved.

It's dépend what you await from an adaptation.

By exemple, for me FMA 2003 is a far better adaptation than 2009. Why, because 2009 is just the manga.

As an adaptation for me Fate 2006 works better than ufotable serie.

Ufotable UBW serie assume often the viewer already seen Fate Zero ( like I said, it spoil Gilgamesh as Kotomine servant and Ilya as kiritsugu daughter). For me it make the adaptation bad.

What make fate 2006 a good adaptation is this is a complete serie and a good serie even if you don't the game and don't plan to watch it.

And, like I said, it's not nostalgia, the serie had very good rating back then.
    How could the people have nostalgia about a 2006 serie on 2006.

What was good in 2006 is just different than now.

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle
    JP Friend Code
    Tsukihime anime also sold good at the time, guess it was also good.

even if what you said is true it means DeenFSN aged badly unlike other 2006 anime that is still very popular and liked today

And actually the Fate 2006 animation director was the main Ufotable animation director of these time(Ufotable and Deen share many staff especially their early staff, Demon slayers director and chara designer by exemple came from Deen)
    Akira matsushima didn't come from Deen, he worked at Jec.E and worked for several studios at the time at outsourced work until he joined Ufotable
    Last edited by ADab1za; November 12th, 2022 at 11:59 AM.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    It's dépend what you await from an adaptation.

By exemple, for me FMA 2003 is a far better adaptation than 2009. Why, because 2009 is just the manga.
    Are those your standards? Different = good regardless of content? lol

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pinetree View Post
    To say a better adaptation is one that doesn't adapt the original is definitely an... unusual judgment.

Quote Originally Posted by pinetree View Post
    Going by their statements, I think it's more like "old = good, new = bad".

Quote Originally Posted by ADab1za View Post
    Tsukihime anime also sold good at the time, guess it was also good.

even if what you said is true it means DeenFSN aged badly unlike other 2006 anime that is still very popular and liked today

Akira matsushima didn't come from Deen, he worked at Jec.E and worked for several studios at the time at outsourced work until he joined Ufotable
    Tsukihime anime didn't receive as good rating than FSN back then. But I remember clearly it was not seen that terrible back then.
    The problem was the lack of action and the fact it was far too short. But the mood was impressive. Many peoples said me to watch it.
    And I have seen way worst serie, I I can't even say I I dislike it.
    Tsukihime anime was correct back then. You can read the thread about the serie on animesuki and most of the people liked it and just feel it was way too short.

And actually kara no kyoukai adaptation feel to me just as Tsukihime anime with better animation. The story is a mess, except Shiki and Mikiya, all the character are bland, the design try to make it more realistic like tsukihime anime. The fact Mikiya have Tsukihime anime Shiki voice actor is a reference to the anime.
    And actually, it why except movie 5 who is great, Kara no kyoukai movie are just good for me (minus movie 6 who is just bad)

Many anime from 2006 seen as great back thenhave also aged more badly than fate 2006 (Shana, Zero no tsukaima, Zegapain, all the toei and Pierrot works and many other who are forgotten).
    It's easy to remember only the better anime of that time.

And except visually, Fate 2006 is still solid.

Akira matsushima made 40% of his career at Deen.

He worked on maria sama, kenshin, read or die, your under arrest, hunterxhunter 1999(the serie was coproduced by deen), maria sama), Ah my Buddha, Eatman 98, when they cry, Rave, Fruit basket, Getbackers...

Actually he worked more for Deen than for Ufotable.

Deen don't have in house animator, they never had even in their golden age, but they always had regular director and animator, mostly because they allow the production of risky project.
    It how they work.
    They hire from other studios director and animator who want to be know and give them the possibility to shine.

For an adaptation, different made better adaptation.
    Is game of throne is faithful to the novel ? No.
    Is Walking dead is faithful to the comics, no.
    Is MCU is faithful to the comics, no.
    Is any Disney anime movie is faithful to the tales they adapt? No
    Is my little pony is faithful to the original version of my little pony? No.

Most of the adaptation in western media are not faithful. Because they are made at different time than the original for different media and different public. A good adaptation need to not being faithful.

Only japan animation make faithful adaptation because japanese animation is just an industry made to earn easy

The fact a good adaptation must follow the original work is actually the unusual opinion that came mostly from japanime fans.

And no, old is not better for me. New adaptation of my little pony is just great, Transformers Prime top, Scoobydoo mysterie and co too.
    These serie are better than the older. Same for TMNT 2003 ans 2012 vs 80 serie.
    Kitaro 2018 is the best Kitaro serie (with Hakaba), gatchaman crowds was excellent, Casshern sins too.

But yeah, adaptation who just follow the original source material are just plan boring and just good for people who don't read the original source material.

I watch some of them on the 10 last years( your lie in april, my dress up darling, parasite, dragon quest dai, world trigger, golden kamui, spy x family, my hero academia and demon slayer) but I don't read the manga then and don't intend to do it. Because I see no interested to see the same story it's just boring.