Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: For 2006 standard Fate 2006 was good

全力後輩 - Zenryoku Kohai Altima of the Gates's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nanaya View Post
    I miss when the concept was rare and far between.
    The concept of a foreign MC diving into another world was never rare or uncommon though. Escaflowne, El Hazard, so many other under the table shows.

Its just that like with modern entertainers like streamers, its entered the "variety" type of content, a running through the categories type of thing. Just like you have your gamer oni who is a cook as a variety entertainer, your isekai plays with a show about gamer moms who have things for their sons in a game world.

So its like ticking the checkboxes, but sometimes that works, because for entertainment sometimes you just wanna have it your way and get your milf in your SAO pizza with a side order of harem.
    Badabababah.

US Friend Code
    Is there really any point in comparing FSN 2006 to the new stuff in this topic of "fans being unfair to adaptations"?
    As far as I'm aware FSN fans don't like any of the anime. UBW 2014 got bashed for years and now suddenly you see some who defend it.
    HF Trilogy was god's gift to this not-wonderful community for a while because "better direction" or what not, and now you see people trash the movies as if they were even worse than 2006.

Who cares. They're fun if they're fun. They're not if they're not. TM fans are the last people to agree on anything. Just look at how much KnK6 gets bashed, but as soon as you compare it to 2006 or Tsuki2003, it's not a bad adaptation anymore and its defenders forget how they memed that "Kurogiri is done better in the recap movie" for years.

I think the problem is more about the whole "old vs new" or "mine vs theirs" attitude. Some are willing to ignore Ufotable's hiccups while mocking Deen for the same reasons.
    It is what it is.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Nanaya's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Altima of the Gates View Post
    The concept of a foreign MC diving into another world was never rare or uncommon though. Escaflowne, El Hazard, so many other under the table shows.
    No way they were remotely as common as they have been the last 10 years. Especially if you branch out a little and include any kind of alternate takes on the trope like reincarnating back in time with cheat powers or whatever and crossover with game/fantasy worlds invading their world.

JP Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSkipRow View Post
    Is there really any point in comparing FSN 2006 to the new stuff in this topic of "fans being unfair to adaptations"?
    As far as I'm aware FSN fans don't like any of the anime. UBW 2014 got bashed for years and now suddenly you see some who defend it.
    HF Trilogy was god's gift to this not-wonderful community for a while because "better direction" or what not, and now you see people trash the movies as if they were even worse than 2006.

Who cares. They're fun if they're fun. They're not if they're not. TM fans are the last people to agree on anything. Just look at how much KnK6 gets bashed, but as soon as you compare it to 2006 or Tsuki2003, it's not a bad adaptation anymore and its defenders forget how they memed that "Kurogiri is done better in the recap movie" for years.

I think the problem is more about the whole "old vs new" or "mine vs theirs" attitude. Some are willing to ignore Ufotable's hiccups while mocking Deen for the same reasons.
    It is what it is.
    That's what's wrong with literally every fanbase. Literally every fanbase online has it's sub-factions that disagree on everything. It's not at all exclusive to TM fans and many of them are worse about it. It's generally why I don't interact with many communities anymore.

To be fair people in this thread did compare FSN 2006 to other shows that came out that year and even brought up the review scores from that year since it was brought up early on. It's not like the entire thread was comparing FSN 2006 to stuff that was coming out now. Ufotable mostly got brought up when the argument went in that direction trying to defend the tsuki anime. It's not like the anti-tsuki camp went "muh ufotable adaptations tho" which seems like you were trying to imply. If you weren't I apologize but that's how it read to me.

Also I was under the assumption the ufo UBW show while flawed was still generally always well liked and at worst indifferent. The only people I have seen who outright hate that show are people who just hate the franchise because they think it doesn't make sense. We might just be looking at different sections of the community but I haven't come across what you described.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSkipRow View Post

It is what it is.
    I was not aware UBW 2014 have been bashed back then.

Actually, on the web, most of the people see it as a masterpiece. the only part where UBW TV receive some critisism, it's about the music and the Archer vs Shirou(and in a less extend Gil vs Shirou) were most of the people agree it was better in 2010 movie

Actually, I think UBW 2014 and FSN 2006 are at the same level of quality.

UBW have the animation point

Fate 2006 have the music

the 2 serie have really outdated CGI for their time of release (the Caster minion or the water when she attack on the bridge seem to come from a serie from Gonzo release in 2003)

And for the writing, I think each serie have quality and flaws and some of them are the same in the 2 series.

For KnK06, I think it worse than Tsuki2003, Tsuki 2003 tell a flawed story, KnK06 don't tell anything (but actually KnK as a whole is flawed like Tsuki2003 even in the novel, it seem incomplete, it just worse in the movies, it's why I don't like the movies, they should have fixed the novel but they add even more problem)

Good to see some love for 2006 and 2010 adaptations, to me not only for that standard, even now, Deen adaptations are far better that Ufotable ones. Yuji Yamaguchi was the best director and with much difference. Like some one says, bridging differences, were like replaying the vn in anime medium. And not only that, the amount of things that the anime created laid the foundations for what came later.

Anyway, I enjoy both animation studios adaptations.
    Last edited by Shirou30; November 24th, 2022 at 03:59 PM.

I really like Yuji yamaguchi direction, I don't really like Touka gettan and Yami bosshi, but the directing of these series was really unique and great and Fate 2006 have the same feeling. And actually, I me me Strawberry egg was the first anime I see un fansub (I seen many anime before, but in fansub it was the first).

Quote Originally Posted by Stoker View Post
    The only people I have seen who outright hate that show are people who just hate the franchise because they think it doesn't make sense. We might just be looking at different sections of the community but I haven't come across what you described.
    Actually, I hate Ufo UBW, I agree it's a good show but I hate it.
    It's like everything I don't like in what became type moon after 2010.

I hate the direction of the serie who made Rin a silly tsundere who could be voiced by Rie Kugumiya (aka the tsundere you want to kill because she is just annoying) abd her chara design who made her look like a dog.,
    I hate monkey like Berserker who make capoeira on dubstep music.
    I hate the fact the serie remove most of the fun part of the VN and the slice of life because the serie is made as a sequel to Fate Zero.
    I hate the bad retcon flash back of Caster
    I hate the giants attacking Gil.
    I hate the Archer vs Shirou fight, boring as hell
    I hate the fact the serie spoil gilgamesh and Ilya as kiritsugu daughter at the beginning of the show.
    I found silly Shirou doing 10 meters jump
    I hate the massive use of bad CGI.
    I hate the too realistic background with minimalist chara design.
    I hate the serie is always dark.
    I hate the fact the serie use Fate epilogue for UBW route.

I think that during the original airing, I only liked 3 épisodes of the whole serie.

And I hate this (and don't just dislike it) because the fans are forgiving of theses issue in UBW and not in Fate 2006.

I think the fans of ufotable typemoon are mostly the reason I stopped to be fan of typemoon works.

Quote Originally Posted by chevkraken View Post
    And I hate this (and don't just dislike it) because the fans are forgiving of theses issue in UBW and not in Fate 2006.

I think the fans of ufotable typemoon are mostly the reason I stopped to be fan of typemoon works.
    I forgive the issues of both UBW and Fate 2006. I think they're both entertaining animes. Either way though, I don't think you should let other people discourage you from watching media you enjoy just because they have different opinions on the quality of a specific work. And if someone tells you that you can't like something because they dislike it just ignore them.

Blog Entries
    FSN 2006 was honestly so bad. And I also watched it as it aired all those years ago, it was dunked on to hell and back even at the time. That was the ~golden age of VN~ and the big star of the genre was getting its adaptation, there was a lot of excitement for it. That was the tail end of the archaic anime age when plot details from unTL'd VN were more like rumors than summaries posted in 20 minutes on reddit.

In fact, I rewatched the whole thing in 2 sessions yesterday, and while it filled me with immense nostalgia, it was dreadful. There is so much wrong with it that I want to open up with the 1 (singular) thing it got right, something Ufotable did not do that I really appreciate about DEEN's Fate.

Faithfully recreating the CGs in the moment. It felt special and cool, especially when they managed to get it in smoothly. It's very cool and full of soul.

But god does it fall flat in so many other ways. It is universally praised for its great soundtrack, but it uses it terribly. The music feels like it's on shuffle for all but the most important, pivotal moments.

Then from there you just reach the everything-else of the anime's presentation. We really slam dunk the animation, rightfully, but that isn't even the half of it. The direction itself is critically incompetent, with some scenes looking more like comedy than anything serious. The fucking scene from UBW route where Rin attacks Shirou at school has segments animated like it came from Scooby Doo. Berserker in his fight with Archer climbs around the castle like an orangutan and moves comically slowly, falls into a hole in the roof and just gets stuck for 30 seconds while Archer does a magical boy pose with the overedge swords. An episode after the climax against Berserker, Shirou/Saber/Rin fight Kuzuki and he moves faster, strikes harder with stronger impact sound effects and results than Berserker ever did. He actually makes Herk look like a complete joke. And I would love to hear somebody explain to me why the weird man-impersonating-a-beardog voice for Herk was cool and good.

But the animation, yeah, there's almost none. A large portion of the anime's action is still frames of characters with speedlines drawn over them. That "moving too fast I hate it uguu" fighting style in Ufotable that was so commonly cited as bad? DEEN does it too, whenever it can spare the budget, but instead of even animating the characters move they often just teleport into new positions as they clash.

There is an endless debate to be had about anime original content, like the Caster arc, or mixing routes like with Shirou and Rin fighting at the school, and I don't think anyone is definitively right or wrong about that stuff being good or bad for the adaptation. But the anime has really shit pacing and drags on because so many scenes are still frames being panned over very slowly while unsuitable music plays, needlessly extending scenes for minutes at a time because this is repeated so frequently. 2006 could have fit so much more story in if it didn't waste its time so much on these shots.

It's just not good.

Quote Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
    The fucking scene from UBW route where Rin attacks Shirou at school has segments animated like it came from Scooby Doo.

having re-read Mahoyo and the scene where Aoko and Soujuurou fight in the amusement park (which is what Shirou and Rin was based on, to the point that Mahoyo moved to a amusement part instead of a school to not be a repeat) i think the "Scooby Doo-ness" was on purpose/requested, it was supposed to be funny/snarky instead of super serious

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by madarra View Post
    having re-read Mahoyo and the scene where Aoko and Soujuurou fight in the amusement park (which is what Shirou and Rin was based on, to the point that Mahoyo moved to a amusement part instead of a school to not be a repeat) i think the "Scooby Doo-ness" was on purpose/requested, it was supposed to be funny/snarky instead of super serious
    It was funny when Shirou and Rin took turns jumping down the stairs and vibrating from the impact. It was stupid when Shirou got down on all fours and flailed with every limb to move while staying in place like an actual WB cartoon.

The fucking scene from UBW route where Rin attacks Shirou at school has segments animated like it came from Scooby Doo.
    Making it serious would have been an error.

Berserker in his fight with Archer climbs around the castle like an orangutan and moves comically slowly, falls into a hole in the roof and just gets stuck for 30 seconds while Archer does a magical boy pose with the overedge swords. An episode after the climax against Berserker, Shirou/Saber/Rin fight Kuzuki and he moves faster, strikes harder with stronger impact sound effects and results than Berserker ever did. He actually makes Herk look like a complete joke.
    All of this was just really shonen 2000's...
    I want to point that these years were a Golden age for shonen jump series with Bleach, Naruto and One Piece being the biggest success of these time. Even Deen had some successful adaptation with Ueki, Rave and Getbacker. And even night time popular series were often much more... cliché action series.

When we look back the big success of these times, FSN serie biggest rival was Shakugan no shana (the writing is pretty similar and the animation not better and maybe worse) and after, the comparison was made with To aru majutsu no index (who is also full of slapstick comedy and character doing cliché thing)

But the anime has really shit pacing and drags on because so many scenes are still frames being panned over very slowly while unsuitable music plays, needlessly extending scenes for minutes at a time because this is repeated so frequently. 2006 could have fit so much more story in if it didn't waste its time so much on these shots.
    actually, the serie have been momerable for me because of that. it gave a mood to the serie. many series from 2000 and before were like that.

FSN Deen adaptation was just made as a serie of its time.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Kirishima's Avatar
    Holy copium

Blog Entries
    It being memorable because it's bad doesn't mean it's good. ftr, I watched this as it aired, I remember exactly how it was received. Pointing out that the big shounen 3 were around at the time is no meaningful defense for the terrible direction of the action scenes in this series. I know exactly what the fight scenes in bleach and one piece looked like back then, and they weren't anything like this. You honestly just sound completely delusional. The only point of comparison is that those anime also had to make extensive use of stills and speedlines, but their circumstances are entirely different. Those series had to stretch their budget over an indefinite amount of episodes. FSN 2006 has a mere 24 episodes to budget around yet it acts like it has to spread it's budget over 60+ episodes. It's completely shameful, not a stylistic choice but a clear demonstration of poor quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
    FSN 2006 was honestly so bad. And I also watched it as it aired all those years ago, it was dunked on to hell and back even at the time. That was the ~golden age of VN~ and the big star of the genre was getting its adaptation, there was a lot of excitement for it. That was the tail end of the archaic anime age when plot details from unTL'd VN were more like rumors than summaries posted in 20 minutes on reddit.
    I kind of miss this era. It at least lasted as far as 2012 since Danganronpa 2 came out then and I remember all the rumors. Who's this mysterious black haired character? Nobody seems to know, but even the people in the know seem to insist on only calling him 'Spoilers-kun'
    Nowadays not only are VNs rarer in general but nothing has any mystery anymore. Of course, I still appreciate translators and anyone who goes out of their way to present a cohesive, coherent and properly translated version of events, but Mystery truly is on the decline.

It being memorable because it's bad doesn't mean it's good.
    It's not memorable because it's bad.

I know exactly what the fight scenes in bleach and one piece looked like back then, and they weren't anything like this
    yeah, they were way worst. Bleach had good drawing but the animation was just shit, there was not really move in the fights until 2008/2009, Naruto add good animation but only every 10 episodes. And One Piece, One piece. Even now One piece have barely better animation than FSN.

here was the fight with the best animation quality in bleach at the time of FSN release:

https://youtu.be/iAKSz3wHomc

FSN have some fight with far better animation than these series.

Saber VS Assassin, Kuzuki vs Shirou and Caster vs Rider by exemple but also the final fight vs Gilgamesh. And I want to point FSN back then was just a porn game, it was the first eroge to receive a 26 episode all age adaptation.

And I also remember back then than most of the people loved it. It can still be seen onj animesuki or by using wayback machine in MAL

there was very few problem with the graphic back then. very few peoples complained about it, actual, most of the review pointed the very good graphic (onece again, read MAL review from 2008)