Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter Animu 2023: bringan it back

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    You know High Card, I'd be willing to believe your Not-Stand powers are ancient artifacts if not for the fact the MC's is just a gun.

Also you're superpower is a gun that shoots straight, why are you constantly missing? Or getting into melee range? Or punching someone with your gun? Or not shooting them after punching them with your gun? Why are candies able to pierce three walls, but bullets wont even dent a flimsy table?
    Last edited by Mattias; March 1st, 2023 at 11:45 PM.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Danmachi: Another fantastic episode. God, the Juggernaut ruined Astraea Familia and you hate to see it. Ryu lost everything there. It's really sweet of Bell to affirm her like he did. Pretty rude of him to play dead and make her blush though, lol. I'm in awe at how well I'm being fed by of all studios, J.C. Staff. Bless this season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Bungo Stray Dogs 46: Wow this episode went hard. Did a great job portraying Yosano's anguish and the hell of being forced to fight endlessly without even allowed the option of death. I have to say given how they've been intermittent allies to the protagonists and BSD's villains in general tend to be rather compelling and charismatic, this episode in particular reminds how despicable Mori is. Forcing a little girl into that situation is unforgiveable no matter the reason, not even given the creepy implications of Elise looking like an adult and having a much more subservient demeanor in that flashback (hinting her current strong-willed child form was inspired by his obsession with Yosano).

It's also interesting to note that with what we know in this episode (where she healed multiple soldiers who were injured but didn't look right about to die) the limitation of Yosano's ability only being able to revive people on the verge of death is likely not innate, but a psychological restraint she forced on herself so people wouldn't use it frivolously. That definitely casts another light on her character and "sadistic" demeanor when using it.

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeOfEden View Post
    "Vinland Saga" and "Bungo Stray Dogs" for me. Bungo in particular is getting pretty good atm, whereas Vinland has been dragging lately. The new "Demon Slayer" film comes out soon too so... yeah.

Also, not anime, but "Clarkson's Farm" and "Gogglebox" are both back so... fun.
    What do you find dragging about Vinland Saga?
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl, þonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mAc Chaos View Post
    What do you find dragging about Vinland Saga?
    Isn’t Farmland Saga something of a meme because of how long “Ketil’s farm” arc goes on?
    "Here's a bangin lil' tune about takin' on The Man!"

(Check out my Super Special Awesome Servant Compendium here)

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Yes, but it's also considered the best part of the series. It's an affectionate nickname.
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

Harbringer of Beguiling Light bassgs435's Avatar
    Iruma-kun S3 done
    Absolutely great season of a great show, Harvest Festival was a great arc with lots of moments for all the Misfits to shine, and Iruma got some good development. There are some surprising twists and reveals, too. Hoping S4 gets announced soon
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

DINO GETTER,FUCK YESS
    Spoiler:

My Hero Academia Episode 130:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    Have you heard of the Tragedy of Endeavor the Power-Hungry? It's not a story the heroes would tell you.
    I'm going to sig this.
    Quote Originally Posted by eddyak View Post
    He becomes the second best by being stronk.
    Looking back on this now, my god.

He utterly terrorized his whole family for years and kept having kids like someone trying to get the right IV's on a Pokemon.

Like that one scene with his kids huddled in the corner after he hit his wife was too real.

The thing I'd love to know is why he became a hero in the first place, I was hoping for that.

And then there's the fact that 10,000 bad guys are out now on top everything else.

The other countries looking at what's happening in Japan:
    Spoiler:

The question that Midoriya is going to be asked by the vestiges in the next episode is a hard one to ask of him, but it has to be asked.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrapnel View Post
    Bob the Builder's evil twin.
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperial View Post
    HF felt like Nasu holding up a megaphone and screaming, "LOOK AT HOW SAD THIS IS! ISN'T IT SAD? YOU SHOULD FEEL SAD!"

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Altaris View Post
    > Einzbern

> Making smart decisions

Pick one

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    Palingenesis just sounds like we're creating Sarah Palin.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftovers View Post
    >tfw you betray your ideals to get some

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizukume View Post
    In short, Japan's syncretism BS striked again.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by castor212 View Post
    Curse
    Blessing
    of the Boobs

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bassgs435 View Post
    Iruma-kun S3 done
    Absolutely great season of a great show, Harvest Festival was a great arc with lots of moments for all the Misfits to shine, and Iruma got some good development. There are some surprising twists and reveals, too. Hoping S4 gets announced soon

Ending at Episode 21? I guess three episodes is a bit too short for another arc, but I was hoping for more hijinks episodes to round out the season.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Laserman View Post
    The thing I'd love to know is why he became a hero in the first place, I was hoping for that.
    Probably just wanted it since he was a kid like half the people in this world. Wanting to be a hero in MHA is the standard kid dream job, like wanting to be a youtuber irl.

JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Hero Academia: Wow I love depression.
    Lieselotte: Wow I love diabetes.
    canon finish apo vol 3

JP Friend Code
    nonexistant
    Does an anime that releases a special/starts airing in the back half of the winter season go here?

Shingeki no Kyojin: This special looks really nice, if this is what the actually actual really for real final part of the series will look like, I won't have any complaints with the finale of the adaptation.

Nier: Spent two weeks without checking out the return of the series, so I watched 3 episodes at once.
    Ep 4 - They skipped the level to get inside the theater but in compensation for that, this rendition of the Simone boss fight is an actual fight. And I think they used Beautiful Song very well here. They got creative with the hacking sequence too. Well done.
    Ep 5 - EMILLLLLL!!!!!! I don't care if it's a cheap shot, it was so great seeing his memories with Kainé/Salvation playing in the background. And tying Emil to Pascal's village is an inspired decision. High fives all around.
    Ep 6 - Certified Banger. Seeing Lily's backstory first hand was great. We got to see A2 before she went rogue too. I'm really surprised at how much new stuff this anime is adding, and it's all good shit. An adaptation that so far is exceeding all my expectations.
    Last edited by TomPen94; March 5th, 2023 at 06:09 PM.
    burn your dread you coward

JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Danmachi: What a great moment of intimacy. And then the Juggernaut comes in to fuck shit up once and for all. Bell Firebolting his guts to cauterize his wound was absolutely metal. God, this season is a blessing.
    Spy Classroom: Simple stuff, honestly. The girls are cute though.
    Lieselotte: Now that's just not cricket. Unhand Lieselotte at once, foul witch! Lol at Leon naming himself after a mouse.
    canon finish apo vol 3

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I like Kyokou Suiri's thing where the story tells the viewer that the cause was supernatural, but several of the characters unfamiliar with the supernatural need to do mental gymnastics to come to a more mundane explanation. It's a good criticism of real life where it's not necessarily the culprit who goes to prison but simply the one whose imprisonment would be the most convenient for society. Who deserves what is irrelevant, after all.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    The second season's become much better, but the original idea of "It doesn't matter what happened, but whether others believe what happened" is a terrible premise for a mystery show.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    It's to show the great power of humans to rationalize the supernatural.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    And it robs every story of any sense of weight. If nothing is true and what happened doesn't matter, what's the point of the story? You can do that kind of open ending in other kinds of shows, but a not a mystery. If a Holmes story ended with "lol, Moriarty maybe?" you'd throw that shit away. If every Case Files story ended with Waver blowing something up and leaving with explanation because it didn't matter, you'd stop reading more.

And the second season has been much better. They ly about the haunted apartment, but still show you what actually happened. The Yuki Ona is straightforward, and so is the murder puppet.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I still haven’t checked season 2 to see what that is like, but aren’t you describing exactly what happened in season 1? First they solve the idol murder case to be informed enough to substantiate their bullshit, then they have the internet duel with their bullshit vs Rikka’s bullshit? The convincing everyone part always was an extra layer of challenge added on top of the properly solved mystery.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    The first season is really weird. It starts with a short mystery arc where it doesn't matter what happened as long as someone believes it. Then there's an arc that's really straight forward and they actually lay out cause and effect, and they drag it out for 8(9?) episodes. Which wouldn't be terrible if a large chunk of that wasn't sockpuppet flamewars. Then S2 comes and trims it down so every arc is no longer than 3 episodes (so far).

Even as it's getting better every new arc, I still can't put behind me that the premise the show started on is that "the solution to a mystery is irrevelant".

Banned
    Blog Entries
    "as long as someone believes it" See. This part is the challenge. The trick is finding a lie that is truth-like in every (not almost every) possible way, except for not being the actual truth. I feel like this series is a critique on the "truths" (not real facts) of society, much like how Plastic Memories is a commentary on death in society (because androids with rolling memories, or even better upgraded memory banks or external drives or cloud saving or several other things if you're more IT savvy than I am, is totally impossible, for some reason, so you're forced to delete everything all at once).