Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 47891011 LastLast

Thread: Winter Animu 2023: bringan it back

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Which would be a fine theme if it wasn't framed as a mystery show.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
    The second season's become much better, but the original idea of "It doesn't matter what happened, but whether others believe what happened" is a terrible premise for a mystery show.
    Worked for Umineko
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    ladies, he's single
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
    Which would be a fine theme if it wasn't framed as a mystery show.
    Apparently, there needs to be supernatural elements to properly describe how real-life cases work. Honestly, stuff, like World of Darkness's Masquerade or Veil or Men in Black's neuralyzer, just seem like unnecessary work when you add in this factor. Path of minimum effort FTW.

Harbringer of Beguiling Light bassgs435's Avatar
    Isekai Ojisan done
    Pretty hilarious isekai comedy show. Great cast, their antics are always great and entertaining to watch. Gotta aprreciate all parties involved so the anime can keep the references, given how Uncle being an old-school Sega fan is a big part of his character
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

DINO GETTER,FUCK YESS
    Spoiler:

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the heads up that the final episode dropped. That's what, 6 months late from the initial release?

Okay, I don't know if anyone is keeping up on Kaina of the Snow Sea, but they pulled an Akame ga Kill this week. Giant castle sized mech out of nowhere, and they don't even have AgK's excuse of magic bullshit weapons all over the place.
    Last edited by Mattias; March 15th, 2023 at 04:12 AM.

I mean, the mecha was in the OP. And the excuse, would be the excuse of all these post-apoc regressed society stories: lost technology from before the world went to shit
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

DINO GETTER,FUCK YESS
    Spoiler:

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Wait, it's there?

Lost technology would be fine if they'd referenced it at all beforehand. There's the signs up in the canopy that no one understood, but nothing to suggest giant robots powered by thought might be on the table. MC has a gun, but the 'good' country has guns too.

Edit: Okay I just rewatched the OP and the closest thing I saw was a giant one eyed shadow, and I always just assumed that was the villain since he had them captured for so long.

My Hero Academia Episode 131:
    Spoiler:

Finally, all of the past users of One for All make themselves known.

Kind of.

Numbers 2 and 3 were facing the wall the whole time and didn't say a word.

As it turned out, the thing that All Might was investigating was the cause of the 4th wielder's death, which turned out to be from One for All itself.

Having 2 Quirks is one thing, maybe, but the body can't handle multiple ones, even the vestiges hidden in One for All, unless you're like Gigantomachia, or have had your body modified, or you're Quirkless, like All Might and Midoriya were.

Unfortunately, since the Quirks of the past wielders have manifested, that means that Midoriya can't pass on One for All anymore.

Which also means that's as strong as the Quirk is going to get too.

So the big question of whether or not he's willing to kill Shigaraki was a test.

Now the top 3 heroes are in on the secret of One for All and following the press conference that they give, (Why did they have to give Hawks a scar like that?), Midoriya tells Class 1A that he got his Quirk from All Might, and that he's leaving UA.

I can't believe he's actually leaving like that though.

I just find it funny considering how number 7 did the exact same thing and look what happened there.

So much for My Hero "Academia", hah.

I'm interested in seeing what Midoriya is going to be now though.

Still, that tag line at the end.

"The final act begins."

That just makes me wonder how close the anime is to catching up to the manga.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrapnel View Post
    Bob the Builder's evil twin.
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperial View Post
    HF felt like Nasu holding up a megaphone and screaming, "LOOK AT HOW SAD THIS IS! ISN'T IT SAD? YOU SHOULD FEEL SAD!"

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Altaris View Post
    > Einzbern

> Making smart decisions

Pick one

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    Palingenesis just sounds like we're creating Sarah Palin.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftovers View Post
    >tfw you betray your ideals to get some

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizukume View Post
    In short, Japan's syncretism BS striked again.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by castor212 View Post
    Curse
    Blessing
    of the Boobs

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Isekai Ojisan: Another hilarious episode. It'll be a hard wait for a season two.
    Kyokou Suiri: Lol, of course Kotoko won't let the old guy get off easy. How's she going to tear him apart?
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

Danmachi S4 Part 2 done. Holy fuck. Best season. Ryu best girl. I love this show so much and S4 was the best. Lots of tragic, tense and painful moments, but also lots of cool stuff. Pretty good. I love it
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

DINO GETTER,FUCK YESS
    Spoiler:

JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Danmachi was absolute kino, my god. Ryu's journey to free herself from her trauma was just something else. What an incredibly satisfying finale. I pray that a potential season 5 gets as much love as this season did.
    canon finish apo vol 3

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Is kino new slang? I've been hearing it more frequently lately.

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LegalLoliLover View Post
    Is kino new slang? I've been hearing it more frequently lately.
    I think it means cinema. The idea being cinematic-level quality or something.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I see. When I think of Kino, I think of journeys.

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LegalLoliLover View Post
    I see. When I think of Kino, I think of journeys.
    As did I at first.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I think of Keno the lottery game.

JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Spy Classroom: Lily, stop bullying Grete lol. Also NO NOT MR. BERNARD ;_;
    canon finish apo vol 3

Hikari no Ou done
    I like it. Despite the production issues, the world, characters and conflict are interesting. And I'm looking foward to S2

Nagatoro 2nd season done
    Pretty good. There's progress being made and damn, can't believe how wholesome their relationship is now, given how it started.
    Last edited by bassgs435; March 18th, 2023 at 07:32 PM.
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

DINO GETTER,FUCK YESS
    Spoiler:

Banned
    Blog Entries
    This week's Kyokou Suiri proves the old adage. As the old adage goes: 一不做二不休 Don't do bad things, but if you do, don't stop. In this case, don't set up assassinations, but if you do, don't feel remorse about it afterwards to go trying to "make things right", as it won't be just yourself that you're hurting.

US Friend Code
    So, Megaton Kyuu Musashi has ended. What a ride it was.

First of all, whenever I say bad or good, it's always in my opinion. I don't know what's supposed to be good or bad, but I know what I enjoy and what I don't.

So, in my opinion, there are a few types of bad shows. There are bad (in my opinion) shows made with bad (in my opinion) intentions. Those are the trash ecchis like Absolute Duo and Strike the Blood. Those are not interesting because they have a barebone story, setting and music slapped on fap material. Those are my 1 and 2's out of 10. MKM (Megaton Kyuu Musashi) is not one of those.
    There's also the bad shows that were made with good intentions. Stuff like Requiem of the Rose king, Occultic;Nine, Fire Force. Those messed up not because of everything in them being bad, but because some parts of the show were a real turn off (Animation, Pacing and characters and Characters, animation and pacing, respectively). Those are typically 4 or 5's/10 in my book. MKM is more like that.

The story was very boring. Aliens invade Earth, terraforms, Earth guerilla, and nothing is remotely surprising, except for the constant one-upping. Without spoiling exactly what it is, the second season ends up with dimension manipulation and a freaking second race of even badder aliens. The power scaling seems to go into Gurren Lagann levels, but it's just not the same energy. The lore of the universe is basically non-existent as 80% of it is to justify giant robots, the rest is given to the aliens. The aliens are extremely boring, they look exactly like humans except for the random times they can transform into furry things. They're the very trope-ish aliens, too, that goes "Look how silly the humans are, doing this and that" and then get wrecked by one giant robot.

Arshem's side of the plot is a bit better. She wants to reunite the two people, which is... a noble cause, but it's just not going to work. I don't see humans being chummy with the aliens squatting their planet for long. The show doesn't even try to deny that, as there are a bunch of a-holes ready to blow the planet with fellow humans on it just to wipe out the aliens. There's also the side plot with Teru that was very, very cringe inducing, but that might be a personnal problem I have with this particular trope. We even had a literal I am your father moment, that was glorious.

Animation and visuals was actually a very positive point. Outside of combat, the animation was barely decent, but the mech fights were very nice looking, if a bit cartoonish. The mechs look like big toys, but they're not clunky or anything, the 3D was actually very good on them. The character designs were usually decent to good, with the exception of the lazy-ass aliens. And the "daily life" animation was decent. Let's say I've seen worse.

The characters were way too numerous. There's only so much you can tell in 35 or so episodes, so half of the MAIN cast ends up being discarded and we don't really care about them. I didn't care about the other half of the characters either, but at least they had backstories, motivations and were relevant. Poor... let me check his name... Ryuugo, the official third wheel of the anime I guess. Imagine Kazuma Kuwabara, but shit. That's this guy. Arshem was half decent, Teru too, despite his weird arc, and Momoka was fine, I think. Props to Yamato, the main character, for being a cookie cutter protagonist, he could have had a satisfying ending, but the show was dumb enough to deny him even that lmao.

The music was in a better show. If I got that correctly, this is an adaptation of a Mecha game. The music is definitely video game tier. There are goddamn epic pieces, with choirs and everything. Sometimes it makes a scene epic, sometimes it makes it stupid. Just like I found that Yuki Kajiura's music in the latest season of SAO was too much and actually ruined a lot of scenes, despite how good it was. Putting a very good epic music when there's a cheap looking explosion in the background is just funny. The VA were doing a fine job, but I don't remember any particular peak acting. They were doing an very even performance for most of the show. I don't think anyone invested their souls into voice acting this show. I'm always happy to hear Takahiro Sakurai in an anime, but he was very boring in this one.

Overall, I think MKM's main problem is it's themes and tone. It tries really hard to be mature with some quite serious topics, like human experimentation, genocide, and parenthood, but the main plot is about world peace in a very cartoonish way. The giant plastic robots with 20 different special moves just cancels any concern you had for any character, because there's a fight scene pretty much every episode. Vilains are vilains, heroes are heroes and nobody goes close to being gray after the first few episodes of setup.

It tries to be deep, but spreads way to far and ends up being very shallow. I don't think anything was given much thought, I don't think anyone wanted to tell a particular message with this work of fiction. They just wanted to show giant robots fighting with a bit of human drama for the sake of it. It was not an unpleasant watch, but kind of a boring one, with quite a lot of very funny moments. Megaton Kyuu Musashi gets a 4/10 from me, so about as good as Higurashi Sotsu, TenSlime part 2 2, Interspecies reviewers or Himouto Umaru chan.