Thread: Manually Porting Tsukihime Remake to Ren'Py

Manually Porting Tsukihime Remake to Ren'Py

I have a really old laptop where I play retro games and Visual Novels. I really wanted to play TsukiRe but I was devastated when I found out that it's only for consoles. The only way I could play was via emulating the switch version which was painfully slow and crashed quite frequently. Visual Novels shouldn't require good hardware and so to make things right, I decided to do the insane task of porting TsukiRe over to RenPy.

I can already get the dialogues from the Tsukihimates GitHub repo where JP and Eng lines are neatly arranged side by side for all days and everything, all that I need are the game assets.

I tried to extract them manually but that's quite a hassle. It would be nice to have all the assets pre-extracted online, although I am working on extracting it manually.

It would also be nice to be able to get the fonts used in game although I can't really say which fonts are which of the 3 I found in the rom dump.

Any advice as to how I should go about doing this is highly appreciated.

EDIT: I have made a few changes to my plans, first of all I won't use Ren'Py, instead I will use the web based Monogatari engine due to greater flexibility.

I have already made the splash screen and the Main Screen (although the UI styling isn't quite there yet and no particle effects)

I will be creating a GitHub repo that anyone can download and get started (I won't be uploading the assets due to copyright reasons, you can either extract it on your own or ask me on discord, I will send you the assets folder in a zip.)

I will upload the project to the GitHub repo on 7th January and post the link here!!
    Last edited by Rider_simp; December 29th, 2022 at 03:51 PM.

Forget it. You will not be able to reproduce animations.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    You'd be better off trying to learn KiriKiri and working from there.

You should just read the Tsukihime lets plays on Youtube. Sure It might not be as fun as actually playing the VN but it's way easier done then trying to remake the game on Ren'Py and you still get the full story.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    Forget it. You will not be able to reproduce animations.
    Now that I am using Monogatari engine, I can flex that sweet CSS animation...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Petrikow View Post
    You'd be better off trying to learn KiriKiri and working from there.
    Kirikiri has way too little English documentation, and I don't quite get why would kirikiri be a good porting target

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TreeLord View Post
    You should just read the Tsukihime lets plays on Youtube. Sure It might not be as fun as actually playing the VN but it's way easier done then trying to remake the game on Ren'Py and you still get the full story.
    I dunno, man. Watching Let's plays feel kinda fake, doesn't have the feeling of me actually playing the VN. And besides I know it's gonna be incredibly difficult, but I am doing it for fun (and to get a solid mastery of HTML and CSS which I am not very good at). I know I won't be able to do it alone and thus I will keep everything open source like Tsukihimates does with their translation and hope that the community helps me along in writing some of those animations and new chapters once we catch up to Tsukihimates translation in the long distant future.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rider_simp View Post
    Kirikiri has way too little English documentation, and I don't quite get why would kirikiri be a good porting target
    Because that's what Tsukihime Remake is built on. It is fundamentally still KiriKiriX at heart, even if it's been 'ported' to HuneX for consoles. TYPE-MOON developed the game on KiriKiriX and then had another company port it.

Quote Originally Posted by Petrikow View Post
    Because that's what Tsukihime Remake is built on. It is fundamentally still KiriKiriX at heart, even if it's been 'ported' to HuneX for consoles. TYPE-MOON developed the game on KiriKiriX and then had another company port it.
    If I remember correctly Type Moon uses their own in house modified version of Kirikiri engine, not KirikiriZ. Also the documentation on this engine is way too lacking, I couldn't find anything about how to make a game with kirikiri engine in English

From what I learned by Google Translating the official docs, it's an engine that uses html like markup language for scenario and javascript like TJS scripting language for programming.

So I don't really see any benefit of using an unfamiliar software over what I am currently using.

Also, if I am not mistaken, HuneX and Kirikiri are completely different engine. The first game was made in Kirikiri for PC and then ported over to HuneX just like how I am porting over to Monogatari (not quite since they had access to source code and assets and transcripts which I have to extract from the game files painfully), so I can't get any old Kirikiri files at all.

As for capability of engine, there's nothing more capable than the web browser (there's a reason why it's such a bloated mess), so I highly doubt I will ever come across as something that can't be implemented with CSS and JavaScript.

If you have any resources that can help me learn more about Kirikiri engine and understand how it will be beneficial to me, then please share it, I will gladly switch engine over to something that more resembles what a PC version would have been like
    Last edited by Rider_simp; December 29th, 2022 at 05:36 PM.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rider_simp View Post
    If you have any resources that can help me learn more about Kirikiri engine and understand how it will be beneficial to me, then please share it, I will gladly switch engine over to something that more resembles what a PC version would have been like
    I'm not really qualified to talk about this, but the good folk over at the Realta Nua Ultimate thread have been dealing with KiriKiri for ages. Alyinghood also works with it for the Mahoyo translation (and that game uses a pretty similar engine to what they have for TsukihimeR), so they are the people you'd have to ask.